PDA

View Full Version : Post apocalyptic hair care

Pages : [1] 2

piffyanne
January 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
In another thread, I wrote, "I suppose it's good practice for you to figure out how to navigate with your long hair out, in case, in the Zombie Apocalypse or Computer Uprising, the humans confiscate all the hairties in order to create giant slingshots?"

This garnered enough of a semi-serious reaction that I thought it was worth a (silly) thread of its own.

LONGHAIRS, are YOU prepared? Are you planning to braid in some barbed wire and have a dervish-esque self-protection program? Will you crop it short/shave it off so your enemies gave nothing to hang on to, or are you going to let it flow wild and free as a taunt so the Foeman, seeing what he thinks us a squishy target, is lured into range of your glass daggers, only to be swiftly dispatched?

Let us plan and prepare now, stockpiling our hairtoys and filing their points to razor edges, as the kuniochi (women assassins FTW) of ancient Japan did in the annals of history!

Do you think bleach or henna would sting more when flung into a Zombie's eyes? Which of your industrial-quantity shampoo or conditioner bottles has the most mass, thus lending itself to your aid when you need to smack the motion sensors on a Kill-bot into the next millennia?

Our time may be short, and, who knows? This may be the only chance we've got to prepare! The fate of the world may be tangled in our manes. . .

By the way, I'm sorry, mods, I couldn't decide where this should go. Move it if you see fit, and sorry for giving you extra work if you end up doing so!

ArienEllariel
January 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I think spinpins would be part of my arsinal. Perhaps Princess Leia's updo when she first lands on the moon of Endor? If it can survive a speeder chase and wearing a helmit, I'd think it would survive a Zombie Apocalypse. That or her faux crown braid while on Hoth.

Can you tell I've been watching the Star Wars films all day?

I'll be closely following this thread. Too entertaining! :D

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I'd say my bun scrunchi doubles as a sling shot.

piffyanne
January 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I've been considering trying a honey treatment on my hair, and that would work great as a way to slow down the oncoming hordes. >Ponders honey even more seriously<

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ive already decided that whenever we have a zombie apocalypse that i will shave my head.

Bene
January 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I fully intend to use what I use now. Sticks and forks. My bunning prowess is solid, I don't need to worry about my hair in the event of the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

I'm all about comfort, expedience, and ease, and if whatever I do now would hinder my survival/escape from the undead, it's not worth doing now. If I can't make a hair toy work by my standards (30 seconds or less), then I simply don't use it.

Also, hair elastics, scrunchies and clips give out eventually. Even with the gentlest usage. But sticks and forks can last indefinitely and I can use just about anything in that capacity. Pens, pencils, chopsticks, etc.

In terms of product usage, I suppose it depends on my situation. Am I doing the nomad thing or have I found a sustainable homestead? If I'm hoofing it for the duration of the crisis, then a braided bun as long as it takes, and WO if I can find a safe spot and the time for it. If I can find more permanent settlement, I'd stockpile whatever cheapie shampoo/conditioner I can find.

Really, on my list of survival priorities, my hair would rank rather low, so it would stay as it is now. Long enough to put up and away.

Synnovea
January 10th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Ive already decided that whenever we have a zombie apocalypse that i will shave my head.

:thumbsup:

Atta girl. I want to be on your team.

pepperminttea
January 10th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I can't run very fast, so I suspect I'll be a zombie before long, at which point my brain won't be focussed on my hair, so much as other braaaaaaains... :brains:

Bene
January 10th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Head shavers, a few thoughts and questions:

- You're on the run from zombies (or robots or whatever), when will you have the time to shave your head?

- Over the course of a few months, hair grows, so you will have to keep it shaved/super short to keep it out of your face so you can see/fight/flee. Can you guarantee that you'll have the time/energy/inclination to do some snipping/shaving?

- You'd have to wear a hat to protect your head from the elements (cold, sun, etc.). Hats, then, are not optional. They become a necessity. If you lose the hat, can you be certain that another one will be available when you need it?

- Scalp wounds are notorious for being big bleeds, making you have to stop and take time to bandage. Hair protects the head somewhat from the minor scrapes that can cause blood leakage. While this isn't a dangerous loss of blood, it can get in your eyes thus impairing your vision. Or make your hands slippery, thus making handling of any weapons/defenses somewhat tricky. Or slow down any comrade who could be watching your back, but instead is bandaging your head.

Even our soldiers who keep their heads cropped short or go full bald, they are almost certain to have equipment, facilities, sanitation, supplies, access to quick first aid, and back up, even in the most rudimentary fashion. During a zombie (or whatever) apocalypse, none of these things are guaranteed.

Is going bald the most logical option?

Neneka
January 10th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I would crop it very short, a bit shorter than it is now. I think I would have a knife with me and I could just keep chopping my hair with that (and the zombies of course). It would look messy but I think that the zombie apocalypse will be messy anyway. I also have a big club in my bedroom. At some point of my life I was so worried about burglars that I made it. (Still, if I wake up to some noice in the middle of the night, the first thing in my mind is: "MY CLUB!") Anyway, that club would be handy against zombies too. I have been taking care of it with wax and it's in a good condition. :patrol:

Bene, you have some good points there. Definitely I wouldn't go totally bald.

Editing.. This came to my mind. Also the boyish look would probably be a good thing in a wild zombie world. I would definitely try to look like a boy...

Nannanej
January 10th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Hm, maybe something braided tightly to the head, like this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974
or maybe that amish style someone posted about a while a go.. could be practical? I mean sure, maybe it takes a while to do the first time (you'll just have to hide somewhere while you and your friends fix each others hair :b), but once you have it in, it'll probably last a long time, not get in the way and maybe even protect your head a bit.

Also, I can't wait.. Zombie apocalypse tomorrow plz? :D

trillian
January 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I think I would have to go with dreads. I've always wanted them anyway. Unless I could figure out a way to somehow braid a mace into the base of my hair and swing it around as a weapon.

Oh, also, I think that I'd stock up on all those unloved cans of hairspray - the good aerosol kind, and a bunch of lighters. Think instant portable flamethrowers. I'm thinking this would work better than just spraying eyes or using bleach, because from all the pictures I've seen, zombie nerve endings aren't at their best, and flame seems like a better weapon to me.

Nannanej
January 10th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I think I would have to go with dreads. I've always wanted them anyway. Unless I could figure out a way to somehow braid a mace into the base of my hair and swing it around as a weapon.

Dreads would be cool, but wouldn't you be afraid of the zombies grabbing them? :eek:

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM
If i had long hair I would have it in a high pony tail braided and use it to whip the zombies out of my way! I might even wear the outfit too :-)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=jet+li+cue+hair&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GPRE_enGB408&biw=1440&bih=724&tbm=isch&tbnid=31fNpWeeH01rIM:&imgrefurl=http://coolmenshair.com/2007/10/jet-li-queue-hair.html&docid=4qYhQFB6QWrT9M&imgurl=http://bp3.blogger.com/_XAePxwGya7E/RwB01_H6VuI/AAAAAAAAAWM/TysYulzpnC8/s400/jet-li-fearless.jpg&w=400&h=308&ei=Vz0MT5XNDYGV8QO_hcTrBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=141&sig=102849872394082158107&page=1&tbnh=163&tbnw=212&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=108&ty=71

MandyBeth
January 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Zombie invaders? Meh, I'm joining in for the fun of it. Why not. I can't run fast enough to get away, besides if I become a zombie, doesn't that get rid of the joint pain?

piffyanne
January 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Zombie invaders? Meh, I'm joining in for the fun of it. Why not. I can't run fast enough to get away, besides if I become a zombie, doesn't that get rid of the joint pain?

Zombies aren't ver articulate—perhaps they're moaning because the pain is worse?

I agree with the "bald too difficult upkeep-wise" camp. This is fun!

trillian
January 10th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Dreads would be cool, but wouldn't you be afraid of the zombies grabbing them? :eek:

That's a point. Although I'm pretty fast, and I'll have my portable flame throwers. I was thinking more in terms of not having to wash them very often. I wonder if I could manage to not cut myself if I booby trapped them with razors in the ends.

irishlady
January 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just my regular bun with little clips, and I'd be armed with a baseball bat to knock their heads off...unless I just pretend to be one of them like in Shawn of the Dead...I do love annoying people with my zombie voice anyway :p

Torrin Paige
January 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'll keep my hairsticks sharp! You can poke one through their eye and hit the brain, which is what you need to do to kill a zombie. Granted, that's only if they get close enough, but I plan on having a sword anyway - swords don't run out of bullets! The hairsticks will be a back-up/emergency situation type thing.

On a serious note, I usually wear one of my long pointy wooden hairsticks when I fly. I figure, should I ever be on a plane with a crazy person, I'll have a weapon to give to a much braver soul who can take them out. Not once has the TSA ever even mentioned one of my hairsticks. Granted, I never wear my metal ones because I'm afraid they'd confiscate them. LOL.

earthymamawitch
January 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Im thinking about Cammy from the Street Fighter games:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/10/100460/1949219-cammy_sfxtekken.jpg

she was really badass, and i think she had an attack where she actually used her braids - she did this hurricane spin thing and her hair whipped out and smacked the enemies.

also Lara Croft from Tomb Raider:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRmlxCOiBg6l163Q5j1yAUzxpDj57UI DTaNbnCUGlR02YDAMJ7x_X3hEZfvg

I'm definitely in the don't cut/shave it camp!

Jenn

HintOfMint
January 10th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Let me check my Zombie Survival Guide, and I'll get back to you. My thoughts are to either clip it short (not shave, as one astute poster said, as it introduces nicks and cuts and provides less protection), or have it in a crown braid.

Besides, I've always wanted to be a post-apocalyptic Heidi.

Loving this thread, by the way

Sushi144
January 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Also the boyish look would probably be a good thing in a wild zombie world. I would definitely try to look like a boy...

Even though I'd prefer to keep my hair and deal with a tight dutch or french braid, you definitely have a point. But I guess I've to much boobs to be a believable boy anyway. XD

Edit : I forgor it, but think the crown braid would be good too.

schweedie
January 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
A zombie apocalypse sounds like an excellent excuse for investing in some hair armory. You watch that zombie thinking I'm easy, short-haired prey, when I pull out a dagger or a Buffy-style stake from the back of my head and dispatch of it.

Vanille_
January 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah. I'm going to hack my hair as close to a shave as possible.

- in a post apocalyptic world, women will be targets for men who already have no law to control them. Hopefully I'll look like a young boy.

- you say it's hard to upkeep shaving, but I think it will be harder to upkeep long hair. Styling takes more time than hacking it off with the nearest knife.

- shaving blades and hats? All the shaving blades and hats aren't going to disappear. You can take them as you find them on your journey. You are bound to loot stores and houses on your way.

- hair gets stuck in stuff and can hinder you! Imagine, you tied your hair up and you are running away from a zombie on your tail - oops, the elastic breaks or stick falls out. Your knee length hair tumbles from your head and is now in your eyes and face. Your jumping over a fence and BAM your hair gets caught in the wire and you CAN'T get it loose fast enough.

I love my hair. But it's going the minute the zombies come.

Nannanej
January 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I'm still thinking long braids or dreads hanging down could be dangerous.. I imagine having them ripped right out of my head by the zombies :/ But hey, maybe if you're like a super ninja and can use them to your advantage + avoid getting them caught in something or grabbed by the undead, I guess they could work..
I'd rather learn to braid me some tight fitting head armor of some sort, lol :b Should start practicing now, so I'm ready for the apocalypse (which will no doubt happen in my lifetime)!

the.fee.fairy
January 10th, 2012, 10:10 AM
french braid either side, both taken into a bun and held with sharp hair sticks.

The french braids will hold regardless of what i do, and if my hair grows quickly, then it's a 5 minute job to put them back in. They can be held with elastics, ribbons, bits of leather, anything i can find.

The hair sticks are purely for weaponry. In fact, i'd probably go with a mass of sharpened chopsticks - they're a couple of inches longer.

Not keen on the man-bashing in this thread i have to say. It's not only men who sexually abuse...there'd be just as many women living without laws. Especially women with ticking biological clocks...

moxamoll
January 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm with you on the man-bashing the.fee.fairy - any person who wants to stop for non-consensual recreation is gonna be zombie bait pretty quickly. There will probably be some that stupid, but they won't last long...

I'd keep my hair and try to get it grow faster! A long braid or two with little martingales in the ends? Or braid in some wire and use it as a garrote? Plus, padding under a helmet!

wicked kisses
January 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
In another thread, I wrote, "I suppose it's good practice for you to figure out how to navigate with your long hair out, in case, in the Zombie Apocalypse or Computer Uprising, the humans confiscate all the hairties in order to create giant slingshots?"

This garnered enough of a semi-serious reaction that I thought it was worth a (silly) thread of its own.

LONGHAIRS, are YOU prepared? Are you planning to braid in some barbed wire and have a dervish-esque self-protection program? Will you crop it short/shave it off so your enemies gave nothing to hang on to, or are you going to let it flow wild and free as a taunt so the Foeman, seeing what he thinks us a squishy target, is lured into range of your glass daggers, only to be swiftly dispatched?

Let us plan and prepare now, stockpiling our hairtoys and filing their points to razor edges, as the kuniochi (women assassins FTW) of ancient Japan did in the annals of history!

Do you think bleach or henna would sting more when flung into a Zombie's eyes? Which of your industrial-quantity shampoo or conditioner bottles has the most mass, thus lending itself to your aid when you need to smack the motion sensors on a Kill-bot into the next millennia?

Our time may be short, and, who knows? This may be the only chance we've got to prepare! The fate of the world may be tangled in our manes. . .

By the way, I'm sorry, mods, I couldn't decide where this should go. Move it if you see fit, and sorry for giving you extra work if you end up doing so!

As for what would sting more, have you ever had ACV in your eyes!?? Youch! That might work and is infinitely more easily replaced than bleach.

Vanille_
January 10th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Ah sorry. Didn't mean to man bash. Just seems a common enough risk seen in post apocalypse movies and books (lawlessness and bandits). I mean no offense :)

I really like the arsenal of sharp chopsticks. I envisioned a stunning move followed by a finishing move where the sticks are pulled from your hair and one goes in each side of the skull.

Vanille_
January 10th, 2012, 10:25 AM
On a side note, would you guys go it solo or look for a group?

irishlady
January 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Solo..it's just my style.

Sushi144
January 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Group. You always need other people to make targets for zombies. :p

moxamoll
January 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Small group. You need people to watch your back, take watch, etc., but too many increases the risk.

Vanille, that was a great video-game kill move description - I can see it so clearly in my in-skull theater!

Anje
January 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I'd probably start with sharpened hairsticks, perhaps increasing the number used to bun my hair from the current single stick to 3 or 4, so removing a few doesn't give the zombies a good handle to grab me by. Cropping to a pony-stub is still on the table for me, as is a short-to-bald cut. My hair doesn't do a great job at protecting my scalp from sunburn anyway....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRmlxCOiBg6l163Q5j1yAUzxpDj57UI DTaNbnCUGlR02YDAMJ7x_X3hEZfvg

One thing's for certain: In a zombie apocalypse, I intend to keep more skin covered than Lara Croft! There's way too much plunging through brush and dodging zombie fingernails to be running around with bare legs.

Unzadi
January 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Definitely group. Everybody can contribute something and more hands, more eyes, etc makes it easier to keep watch and defend. Plus I'd need somebody to talk to.

sibiryachka
January 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I swear I was just fixing to post in this thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85190&highlight=rock

that the only short hairstyle I can imagine myself rocking would be the one where you grab your ponytail and hack it off just above the elastic with a hunting knife, so that the zombies won't have it to grab. Is there a name for that style? DBF and I already have an anti-zombie-haircut pact. There are lots of bandanas in my go-bag.

faithsdaisy421
January 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I can't run very fast, so I suspect I'll be a zombie before long, at which point my brain won't be focussed on my hair, so much as other braaaaaaains... :brains:
This was my thought... exactly!!:pins:

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Me and my husband against the zombies. Groups are way too confusing and you always get one person who thinks they know best (but don't), and someone who is an idiot... We will survive as a family. lol

ElusiveMuse
January 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Ha! Great thread! I regularly show people my Grahtoe 4 prong forks and tell them that my hair toys double as zombie killing weapons. I think I'd go with some sort of French or Dutch braid that uses all my length, like a crown braid or something. It's more secure than a bun and a loose braid would be too easily grabbed by someone. Because honestly, a hair for, is a pretty short-range weapon and I'd not want zombies that close.

Also, very small group. Change groups often. I do not trust people. Inevitably, groups deteriorate into scary Efrafa situations, or weaker group members are exploited by a-holes in the group, and I just do not think that's any safer than zombies.

Tia2010
January 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well as you can see from my avatar ...I love RE movies and all things Zombie. So, bring on the apocalypse :D

As for my hair it will probably be pulled back and secured with a fork or in my much loved pony tail/messy bun if I'm on a Zombie killing rampage or it will be left swinging wild and free if it's a non zombie killing kind of day...and I guess it depends on the zombies too... Are they RE/Walking Dead style slow walkers or 28 days fast running uber scary zombies. If they are of the quick variety...I doubt I will give two cents about my hair just how fast I can run! :D

Nannanej
January 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Ha! Great thread! I regularly show people my Grahtoe 4 prong forks and tell them that my hair toys double as zombie killing weapons. I think I'd go with some sort of French or Dutch braid that uses all my length, like a crown braid or something. It's more secure than a bun and a loose braid would be too easily grabbed by someone. Because honestly, a hair for, is a pretty short-range weapon and I'd not want zombies that close.

Also, very small group. Change groups often. I do not trust people. Inevitably, groups deteriorate into scary Efrafa situations, or weaker group members are exploited by a-holes in the group, and I just do not think that's any safer than zombies.

I agree so much with all of this :D
also
Oh no guys, they already got me!! :/ http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9533&pictureid=123369

piffyanne
January 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm starting to wonder whether a bun wrapped around a large rock might work? The hair is up and out of the way, but any headbutting I'd have to do (I'm short, thus my legs are, and not a swift runner swift runner right now) would be super-effective!

darklyndsea
January 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oh, also, I think that I'd stock up on all those unloved cans of hairspray - the good aerosol kind, and a bunch of lighters. Think instant portable flamethrowers. I'm thinking this would work better than just spraying eyes or using bleach, because from all the pictures I've seen, zombie nerve endings aren't at their best, and flame seems like a better weapon to me.
This sounds like a really bad idea to me. Zombies feel no pain, and fire kills slowly (especially with zombies, who wouldn't die from smoke inhalation). So you set a zombie on fire, and it keeps coming. Except now it's on fire.

Hairstyle-wise...I'd do amish braids if I knew I'd have the time and felt energetic enough, but since I'm lazy enough now to only do an english braid most of the time...yeah, probably not going to be that ambitious. Oh well, not like I'll stay unzombified for long anyway.

Sushi144
January 10th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Zombies feel no pain, and fire kills slowly (especially with zombies, who wouldn't die from smoke inhalation). So you set a zombie on fire, and it keeps coming. Except now it's on fire.

Hay, another reader of Max Brooks' guide obviously ! ^^

But the hairspray idea can be good if all the zombies are behind a wire netting. So you lit one on fire, it spreads, and you're safe on the other side. :D

battles
January 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
In a realistic situation, I would go for a crown braid type of style. Contained, out of the way, no zombies are likely to grab it.

But if I wanted to go all out, totally badass - I'd probably do a high pony with multiple tight little braids. Like a crazy flogger. I'd probably be one of those people spinning around and smacking zombies in the face with all my little braids. :brains:

This is assuming my hair isn't quite this short at the time. If it happened tomorrow, I'd just go for a topknot and call it a day.

Elph
January 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Lara Croft has the right idea. Up and out of the way. Braided and possibly with weights in the end to ensure that is someone wanted to grab hold I could flick my hair.

As for toys I would probably be using string etc to tye my hair and would be looking to make a cat of nine tails for security (hummmm shead hair in the twine on this would make it rather strong......) and of course I would probably have a hair stick - metal, sharpened to put my hair in a bun if the mood took me and to stab out the stray eye.

FrozenBritannia
January 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
If zombies attack... Or aliens ... Or robots... I plan to keep my hair long, and tied in two braids, a la the bomb twins in the first st trinians movie, with a bullet holder headband. This way it won't interfere with me pulling the rifle which will be slung on my back, or the knives in my belt. :)

ArienEllariel
January 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
If zombies come I'm in trouble anyways. I'm shortlegged, overweight, and relatively sickly compared to the rest of the population. Perhaps my best bet would be to find a cave somewhere and stockpile it with food, medicine, etc. and wait it out. lol

If worse comes to worse, I'll retreat deep underground and survive on little blind fish.. course I may lose my hair at some point and start to resemble gollum if all I'm eating is raw fish.. and of course, lose my mind from the loneliness of it all.

FrozenBritannia
January 10th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hay, another reader of Max Brooks' guide obviously ! ^^

But the hairspray idea can be good if all the zombies are behind a wire netting. So you lit one on fire, it spreads, and you're safe on the other side. :D

You wouldn't happen to be talking about this book would you? www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628

Not that its, oh, under my bed right this minute or anything... :whistle:

Friesiangirl
January 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm going to keep my hair for useful purposes--flint, rope, protection around my neck if needed, etc.

I plan to keep it in a pretty secure sock bun. I used to wear a sock bun for days on end while riding horses, doing cheer, and other exercising. It stayed fine, and often I would forget to wash my hair (read: way too busy) and it would look and feel fine the next day.

Hayley

Raiscake
January 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Assault rifles and shotguns for me! (Okay, I don't know how to work those but I'm determined to learn before the apocalypse. :D) My hair stays long and precious till the very end.

Bec de Corbin
January 11th, 2012, 05:46 AM
(Looks down at chest) I don't think I will be passing as a boy anytime soon, even with short hair...but my hair isn't long enough to make a really secure crown braid or anything nifty like that. I guess I would go with two little buns behind my ears, held with multiple elastics. That is the most secure, least zombie-grabby-hands-attracting hairstyle I can think of. Not to mention that you never know when you will need an extra rubber band in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Dark Rapunzel
January 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I intend to have a long braid wrapped in barbed wire with a machete attaached to the end so that I have something to swing around like a helicopter and cut the heads off zombies. :D

Metallia
January 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I'd probably put it up in the most secure braids possible, and leave it for however long it is until our troop finds a place to rest and wash up. I wouldn't cut it short, it'd get in my eyes all the time, and you have to keep up with it anyway.
On a related note, every time I see some woman going all out fighting in a movie with long, loose hair, I am instantly in disbelief. Long hair gets in your eyes. People pull it or grab it. Either she's going to keep it short and maintain it, or she's got to do SOMETHING with it.
And how does it look so beautiful after a giant fight? How is it not a rats' nest?
This is why I have to keep movie commentary to myself.

Dutchesse
January 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM
My hair isn't really long enough yet to be in the way, so braids or a simple ponytail would do fine. I coudl go for an antenna braid and then I'd put a very pointy metal hairstick in my hair, that way I'd always have a dagger with me! Or I could throw it like a dart... But I'll need to train on my throwing-accuracy before that :p

Neneka
January 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The best thing in this thread is all the people who really would be ready for zombie apocalypse. :D

And for the those who can't run fast. I would propably try to protect you. I am kind of altruistic if I meet women in trouble. I have dealt a lot of men who where trying something not so good and I have risked myself too many times. At some cases I really could have hurt myself badly but luckily I didn't. I think I would try to protect you and then I would be turned into a zombie. :brains:

sisi33
January 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM
...and I guess it depends on the zombies too... Are they RE/Walking Dead style slow walkers or 28 days fast running uber scary zombies. If they are of the quick variety...I doubt I will give two cents about my hair just how fast I can run! :D
THIS! Are they the normal ones, or are they the "super" ones? 'Cause I don't think I would do that well with the fast ones... But if I'm with a group (and this is the only reason I would be with a group), I don't have to out run the zombie- just the slower ones in the group! Ahaha, so evil :D.
As for hair styles, I would just do Elizabethan hair-taping. Easy, out of the way, can stay up for days, and I don't have to worry about it getting grabbed by someone/thing, and I don't have to cut it every week- it grows freakishly fast when it's short.

And I wouldn't put anything in it because I'm just as likely to hurt myself as someone else with whatever it is. :rolleyes:

When Z-Day comes (NO! Bad machines, stay away!), I'm raiding Tractor Supply (big sticks, silent), and the Guns & Ammo store that's always having a sale :confused: (long range, quick, no chance of contamination). Also, I'm heading to Canada (with a stockpile of food in a stolen RV) in hopes that their bodies would freeze.

BRING IT OOOOON! :pins:

ETA: On another forum my avies says: "I love you but zombies chase us, I'm tripping you" Well, if I love you I probably (okay, I wouldn't) would not trip you- but if you're a danger to everyone/you *bleep* me off enough, and this will take a LOT of work, I may tie you up, and leave you as bait.

Bene
January 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM

I'd go for solo or a VERY small group. People in general are stupid, and you just can't trust that everyone would pull their weight or that they'd be rational during times of duress.

"Ma'am, your husband got bitten and is therefore infected. We'll be having to put him out."

"Noooooo!!! Why???? You can't put him out like a dog??? He's a human being!!!! WHY?????"

See? I don't have the patience or inclination to deal with that kind of stupidity, especially if it puts me in danger. If you're in a large group, you increase your chances of letting the stupid in.

Sushi144
January 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
You wouldn't happen to be talking about this book would you? www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628

Not that its, oh, under my bed right this minute or anything... :whistle:

Hehe, I know it by heart by now. ^^ I'm part of an association of geeks and we spent the all year talking about zombies on our blog and organizing events about it, this book was one of our reference, it was sooo great...
I would gladly give you the link, but it's all in French. -__-

Sushi144
January 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM
On a related note, every time I see some woman going all out fighting in a movie with long, loose hair, I am instantly in disbelief. Long hair gets in your eyes. People pull it or grab it. Either she's going to keep it short and maintain it, or she's got to do SOMETHING with it.
And how does it look so beautiful after a giant fight? How is it not a rats' nest?
This is why I have to keep movie commentary to myself.

I think exactly the same, but I say it out loud and bother everyone around me. :D I'm also like that for historical movies and series ; when I see a woman with loose hair, I just say : "Oh my, braid that hair, BRAID THAT HAIR !"

Yes, I'm an annoying person. :laugh:

Vanille_
January 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Omg. I feel like a traitor or something for wanting to hack my hair off! You gals are true long hair devotees!

RachieBaby
January 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
In the Zombie Apocalypse I'm taking as many spin pins as possible haha! My hair will be up in a bun or at least in a half up do so I can see without it getting in my eyes, I just hope theres a Daryl Dixon :crush: come running in with his cross bow to save my butt! Anyone else a Walking Dead fan?

I don't know what I would do if robots/computers took over the world. Probably just keep it in a bun and panic a lot haha!

Merlin
January 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM
One thing which you do not seem to have addressed is the issue of cleaning up after those irritating living dead encounters. It's going to be all well and good for you to have long hair in the post-zombie apocalypse, but remember after having to crowbar your way though the living dead (half-life anybody) you are going to be liberally splattered with bits..and possibly ichor. You don't get to use words like ichor very often do you? How are you going to get it all out of your hair in the absence of lots of fresh running (and warm) water, I suspect this is going to be in short supply?

You need to be considering styles which you can envelope in some form of protective covering to avoid having to deal with bits of viscera afterwards, let's face it there may well be other survivors whom you find somewhat attractive and nothing is going to kill a first date like a bit of rotting kidney stuck in your curls now is it?

Bene
January 11th, 2012, 06:06 PM
One thing which you do not seem to have addressed is the issue of cleaning up after those irritating living dead encounters. It's going to be all well and good for you to have long hair in the post-zombie apocalypse, but remember after having to crowbar your way though the living dead (half-life anybody) you are going to be liberally splattered with bits..and possibly ichor. You don't get to use words like ichor very often do you? How are you going to get it all out of your hair in the absence of lots of fresh running (and warm) water, I suspect this is going to be in short supply?

You need to be considering styles which you can envelope in some form of protective covering to avoid having to deal with bits of viscera afterwards, let's face it there may well be other survivors whom you find somewhat attractive and nothing is going to kill a first date like a bit of rotting kidney stuck in your curls now is it?

Oy, good point. And I'm not even interested in looking cute, I just don't think adding bits of viscera to the hygiene issue is going to be productive in any way. I think I'll keep a supply of kerchiefs for my head. T-shirts, sheets, whatever. Kind of like Selena in 28 Days Later (and no, I do not acknowledge that as a zombie movie) when they first meet her, she had the right idea.

Thingy on head, covering canopy and bun, I could manage that.

RoseOfClare
January 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I wouldnt shave my hair off just cuz it would protect my head from the elements and if i cut myself while shaving it would attract zombies........

Would def put dreads in my hair but would end up adding some sort of weapon into them something nice and sharp. .........i read this and all I could think of was the song "I whip my hair back and forth" (not very fond of it tho) and thought of dreads with spikes or barbed wire braided or intwinded into my hair and whipping my hair as a weapon.

darklyndsea
January 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM

I bet ichor makes your hair grow faster. And all that blood and stuff...instant protein treatment! I think that'd be protein, anyway.

Merlin
January 12th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I bet ichor makes your hair grow faster. And all that blood and stuff...instant protein treatment! I think that'd be protein, anyway.

Okay, you are waaaaaaaaaaaay too over-invested in LHC :)

Unzadi
January 12th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Anyone else a Walking Dead fan?

I don't know what I would do if robots/computers took over the world. Probably just keep it in a bun and panic a lot haha!

Me! Me! Love The Walking Dead, in withdrawal until new tv episodes and am stalking the library for the most recent trade paperback collection (six issues per) and then time to get me down to the comic book store to make sure I keep current.

We could liberate any hair toys remaining in abandoned retail outlets, and those experienced in water-only would be considered wise. On further thought, I'm amending my style to braided, wrapped around head and covered with a buff. Makes for some great braid waves when we're in safe havens and can let our hair down.

As for what we'd do if robots/computers took over the world...:shifty eyes: how do we know they haven't already? We're all here on our computers, aren't we? Exactly where they want us. Braids will do for that as well, if it pleases the robot overlords.

tigereye
January 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I would do hair-taping, if I have the time. Purely because it holds for days and days. I would only need to redo it when it became weird with too much new growth. Otherwise, french braid into a side bun with a couple of much sharpened hair sticks.
Otherwise, for weapons, I have a couple of very sharp swords at home that I used to use for dancing (believe me, you very quickly learn not to kick the swords). 2 very pretty, but deadly sharp ones, plus my great uncles bayonet sword.
I think it would be really cool if I could get a dagger sheath to hold my hair up, so I can take the dagger out, and the sheath stays in, keeping it up, and also protecting it from the dagger itself when I put it back.

Knotted
January 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm leaning toward two braids.

Alex Lou
January 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I'm definitely keeping my hair long for protection from the elements. I may not have sunscreen or a warm place to sleep.

InkBones
January 12th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Ah! What a fun thread! Well, I'm basically at APL now, what I would do with my hair is essentially use it to harbor all sorts of sharp and shiny goodies considering how thick it is. I could keep an arsenal in it! Metal hair sticks, throwing stars, throwing knives. Then, if I take everything out to shove into a fellow drooling, brain-lusting fiend, my not-so-long length won't get in my way!

As for everything else, I'd probably travel in a small group. An intelligent but small group. I'd carry two Japanese katanas on my hips, and for a last-minute, life-saving situation, if I can't grab anything in time to poke a zombie with, I'd stick my finger-armored hand directly into its skull!

http://www.1swords.com/v/vspfiles/photos/KZ007-2T.gif

Though I'd probably have to be careful about not poking my own eyes out... :hmm:

Viscountess
January 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I second the hair taping!! you can even sleep in it comfortably and you don't have any pins digging into your scalp...

As for weapons, well, I'll be sharpening my broadheads....

kidari
January 13th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I'm a HUGE zombie fan- I love the campy movies and right now I'm super into The Walking Dead. It's actually what inspired me to start running back in November. I'm secretly training for a zombie apocalypse. I always wished I had hip or tailbone length hair so I could wear it in a french braid or something like Lara Croft. I would probably braid my hair and then bun it with hairsticks.

luinecu
January 13th, 2012, 02:44 AM
It would have to be dreads, out of hair neglect. But it fits in well with my Z-day plan of get out of civilization and lay low in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, at my length it's a crown braid for sure, those things don't budge!

boudica
January 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
This is a fascinating thread!

I think I would wear Sai sheath's.

http://www.themmazone.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a9e84ac8199d5cdd01d09520e40cd046/m/0/m0850-13-ch.jpg

And have an array of weapons on my body, and only break out the sais for close combat.

I once had a very interesting conversation with a special forces guy who told me that the best thing to do would be to tear out the metal conduit make six foot lengths out of it, with one end sharpened like a hypodermic. He also said it would be very important to have a shield - perhaps from 55 gallon drums, that you could use to decapitate the zombies once they were down. Don't put it on your foot, though.

I imagine that I'd have as many weapons on my body that would extend my effective reach. The sais would only be as a last resort.

BTW if you google hair weapons, you'll find that many cultures had them. I think the Japanese Kanzashi were probably the prettiest, but we could have a whole branch on the swap board for hair weaponry.

Cheers!

moxamoll
January 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
BTW if you google hair weapons, you'll find that many cultures had them. I think the Japanese Kanzashi were probably the prettiest, but we could have a whole branch on the swap board for hair weaponry.
Ooooo! I like that idea!

Coan-Teen
January 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm going with braids, bunned and covered by a headscarf. I don't want whispies impairing my vision, and braids are pretty low maintenance. Wash when I can, re-braid when they start to feel loose. It's not so much that I'm attached to my hair as that I think keeping it completely out of the way is easier than cutting constantly. My hair grows quickly. Also it keeps my head warm. Efficiency is my prime motive.

I would try to stay mobile and head north. Dead tissue doesn't do well in the cold and the population tends to be lower the farther north you go. I'm raiding an REI store and stealing a sled as soon as I find one to carry my condensed milk and canned meats. Weapons I can make or find. My goal is to need them as little as possible.

Kira94
January 26th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not a big fan of zombies and never seen a zombie movie . . . however, theoretically, I would probably also go with hair taping. Seems like it would stay, need the least upkeep and be the least grabbable. :)
Oh, also, perhaps a scarf tied over top as well. :)

As for, single or with group . . . Maybe a tiny group of people I knew really well and could trust?

summerstarlet
January 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I think a small knife and sheath in your hair would be a great weapon. Just be sure to put it back in the sheath or you may lose some length!

Dizzy_zzz
January 26th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Braided with some sort of chain, maybe barbed wire, bunned with a hair weapon or a stake. Then, if I need to use the stake/knife/stiletto, I can also use my hair as a whip! And it will cause damage! Watch out zombies, here comes the LHC!

Jessykins
January 29th, 2012, 03:22 AM
probably have my hair off, you dont want no zombie grabbing you by your hair then eating your face :|

sarah061
January 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
When the zombie apocalypse happens I am totally going to acquire one of those "hair swords" - you know, you use them like a hair stick but then when danger strikes you can whip them out of their sheath and use them like a dagger :p

I'll have to get a "real" one and sharpen it of course. But I think it's a pretty good strategy!

Found this example photo via google - this is totally what I want :) http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/dag.jpg

marymonster
January 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Pony tails and braids (unless tucked into a jacket or something) are a definite NO NO! A zombie/robot could just grab onto it!!! :shake: Close to the head styles would be best. Lol.

lacefrost
January 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM
It would have to be dreads. Right now I spend 30 min with water pressure and loads of conditioner to keep my hair untangled. I won't have that option. Here's what'd happen

1. News bulletin: "weird infectious virus! Infects on contact!"
2. Go to the 'hood. Yes, even if they tell me to stay home. Hood folks would be some of the last people to get infected.
3. Get my hair braided. Not cornrow (dutch) braided. But like lots of mini braids. While spending the 3 hours in the chair, call up members of my party (both bfs, my mother (she's fiesty), a couple of my more dangerous friends) and make a shopping list (guns, knives, things to make fire with.)
4. Go home and update my go-bag. (If you don't have a go bag, you should start one. Here's a good place to start http://72hours.org/go_bag.html)
5. Drink some whiskey, sharpen my knives, watch the news and wait.

HappyHair87
January 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
It would have to be dreads. Right now I spend 30 min with water pressure and loads of conditioner to keep my hair untangled. I won't have that option. Here's what'd happen

1. News bulletin: "weird infectious virus! Infects on contact!"
2. Go to the 'hood. Yes, even if they tell me to stay home. Hood folks would be some of the last people to get infected.
3. Get my hair braided. Not cornrow (dutch) braided. But like lots of mini braids. While spending the 3 hours in the chair, call up members of my party (both bfs, my mother (she's fiesty), a couple of my more dangerous friends) and make a shopping list (guns, knives, things to make fire with.)
4. Go home and update my go-bag. (If you don't have a go bag, you should start one. Here's a good place to start http://72hours.org/go_bag.html)
5. Drink some whiskey, sharpen my knives, watch the news and wait.

OKAY??! I'm in the hood and let me tell ya...if you ever wanna learn some survival skills....meet me on the cone-nuh!! :rollin:

Chiiiile....i know which house to run to if some crazy mess broke out! As for my hair?? I don't know...i'd just have to keep a bottle of Suave naturals with me:agree:

Aethernaught
January 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
This is a fascinating thread!

I think I would wear Sai sheath's.

http://www.themmazone.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a9e84ac8199d5cdd01d09520e40cd046/m/0/m0850-13-ch.jpg

And have an array of weapons on my body, and only break out the sais for close combat.

I once had a very interesting conversation with a special forces guy who told me that the best thing to do would be to tear out the metal conduit make six foot lengths out of it, with one end sharpened like a hypodermic. He also said it would be very important to have a shield - perhaps from 55 gallon drums, that you could use to decapitate the zombies once they were down. Don't put it on your foot, though.

I imagine that I'd have as many weapons on my body that would extend my effective reach. The sais would only be as a last resort.

Cheers!
Those would make excellent hair pins/forks/sticks!
Hair-toys + Zombie Apocalypse = This Thread Is Relevant To My Interests

ScarlettAdelle
January 30th, 2012, 02:08 AM
My hair would be pinned up flat wrap style, covered in nylon and covered with a much longer silver version of the chain wig a la the Cranberries' Zombie video. I may or may not have a spiked leather circlet to show that I am ready to throw down at any given moment. It's awesome, it makes me look kind of insane (no one wants to mess with a crazy girl) and it doubles as a weapon.

Spacescape
January 30th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I would put my hair into a single braid, and on the end I would tie a moderately heavy rock or bit of metal. Then if my hands were ever occupied, I could use it as a whip. (I did gymnastics as a preteen with classic-length hair, where I discovered firsthand that being slapped by a braid hurts!) Yes, it could be grabbed, but so could my arms/legs/shirt... I think accounting for grabbing would be just one more part of apocalyptic life. If I was expecting an emergency I might tie a razor or a similar sharp object to the end, but I'd avoid that whenever possible because of the accident potential. Crown braids would be good for wading through swamps/sewers/toxic waste/blood/other stuff that I really don't want in my hair.

Product-wise, my hair would be on its own--I'm not carrying heavy bottles of shampoo and conditioner with my precious supplies! Apocalypses are messy and hectic anyways. I'll stick my Tangle Teezer in my pack, and tie off my braids with whatever bits of string and wire I can find.

Edit: I like the idea to braid and then bun with a dagger/spike! That way if stuff gets desperate enough to need a backup weapon, I have two.

Heian Beauty
January 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Having wild long hair is essential to my post-apocalyptic look as a trenchcoat and enormous combat boots are. In my opinion, looking cool is good for morale.

I'm a medieval re-enactor and I'd fight with my halberd if I couldn't find something shooty, so with luck they won't get close enough to grab my hair anyway. If they do, I've also got a falchion.
I love fighting with my hair down. It gets a bit tangled, but no worse than a normal windy day. But the usual re-enactment hair solution is ponytail or bun it and stuff it under a cotton cap under the helmet. I'm sure that would work when fighting zombies too~

Savahead
January 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Let it flow free! If it was good enough to fight Romans and the Uruk-Hai with, then it is good enough for when you are slaying some zombies.

lacefrost
January 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM
OKAY??! I'm in the hood and let me tell ya...if you ever wanna learn some survival skills....meet me on the cone-nuh!! :rollin:

Chiiiile....i know which house to run to if some crazy mess broke out! As for my hair?? I don't know...i'd just have to keep a bottle of Suave naturals with me:agree:

I'm glad you feel me. I'm pretty sure if there were a zombie outbreak, I'd lay low in the hood. Why?

a)hood folks stay in the hood (less likely to get infected)
b)hood folks have LOTS of weapons
c)hood houses have bars on all the doors and windows (let's see a zombie try to get through that metal)
d)hood folks often live on the outskirts of the city (less likely for outbreaks to get near. I mean, I could probably head to Walmart and get some groceries and be fine)

You'd find me back in my old house in Vine City.

JesusFreak88
February 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
When the zombies attack I would definitely put my hair up in a crown braid or something of the kind because if I need to turn to attack a zombie behind me I do not want to get hit in the face with my own braid. I do that enough now. Also I plan on finding a nice little cave, so I have protection from the elements and it would be hard to come up behind me and attack, and use a bow and arrows to attack and zombies that dare to attack me. If I run out of arrows and can't get any more I'll just attack them with a sword. I'm in theatre I know where to find them, they just need some sharpening.

B-L
February 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I would carry henna with me! Why?

Ever had sand in the eyes? Well henna is worse!! :shocked:
:crazyq:

But I would probably not run but stay and fight :hatchet: cuz I'm a vampire!!!!!

lacefrost
February 9th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Total hijack but I love that you love Marceline, B-L. I love her!

GrowingOut
August 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm glad you feel me. I'm pretty sure if there were a zombie outbreak, I'd lay low in the hood. Why?

a)hood folks stay in the hood (less likely to get infected)
b)hood folks have LOTS of weapons
c)hood houses have bars on all the doors and windows (let's see a zombie try to get through that metal)
d)hood folks often live on the outskirts of the city (less likely for outbreaks to get near. I mean, I could probably head to Walmart and get some groceries and be fine)

You'd find me back in my old house in Vine City.

Could I join you? I learned to make my own body a weapon, ((Krav Maga,)) and I don't eat much. ((I'm small, so I eat small.))

Zesty
August 31st, 2012, 04:58 PM
If I didn't cut it all off, I'd probably go for twin dutch braids wrapped in a crown and sewn down with hair taping. That's the most secure hairstyle I know of, and it keeps everything close to my head so no one can grab me by the hair. I can't imagine I'd be washing my hair often, either, and that would be a good hairstyle to keep in for days and days.

GrowingOut
August 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
((Sorry for double post))

I'd also do a crown braid, ((Probably Dutch)), or hair taping.

And because someone mention blood/elements/branches, I'll tie a cloth over it/hat so my hair is covered. I'm also only using CO below my ears/chin, and weaning my hair off it, so WO is the way to go.

Plus, my hair can insulate me, and if the taping get's thick enough it can protect my scalp.

And finally, if I wanted to look Bad@** at the fort I could just wear it in two long braids, or the pony tail with many little braids.

One more thing, sharpened hairsticks/forks, and combs are so light they add ~1 ounce to your things, or less. ((Or, use your fork as a comb, or a comb as a fork. :eek:))

gratitudinous
August 31st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Can I just say that I LOVE this thread?! I mean, this is something I've put thought into before, and there's lots more great ideas here!

I would not be cutting it all off, because as others have said, short hair is too tough to keep short in a zombie apocalypse.
Like Zesty, I'd be keeping it perpetually braided and wrapped around my head, and taped of course. Probably for however long I could keep it secure, so weeks at a time maybe.
(And I'd have my DBF with me for re-population, of course, and we'd head to his land in Montana to live!) ;) :p

Elithia
August 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Braided close to the head. Probably crown braid. Then a scarf or bandanna or hat. It'd be pretty low-maintenance. It's not like I'd be worried about my curl pattern, and short hair is way more of a pain.

Not a braid with something in the end. Braiding weapons into the end of your hair is idiotic, because if you spun to hit someone else with it, it would come around and kill you, too. :)

ratgirldjh
August 31st, 2012, 07:17 PM

Ok then I will have an excuse! :p

Amorice
August 31st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Faux crown, probably hair taping if I have the time. Anything to keep an extra layer on my head (get cold easily) but keep it out of zombie reach. If it becomes too much work/too combersome, instant blade to the ponytail. Wouldn't be an issue to maintain, blades are surprisingly plentiful in our household.

FI and I have a standing plan to do whatever it takes to make it to his parents house in the event of zombies. The rest of the "armory" is there, and its practially in the middle of nowhere; there's plenty of risk of lunatics, ghosts and wolfmen in the woods, but not a lot of humans for zombie fodder.

sharonluvscats
August 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
I'm wait too out of shape to avoid the zombies for long. Once I became a zombie though I would only eat the brains of people with long and beautiful hair. Mwahahah!

SerinaDaith
August 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Once upon a time I had a hair spike, it was about six inches long and made of solid steel. I am going to play at my fil's forge and learn to make them for myself so hopefully the apoc will wait till I have made several and have enough hair to wear multiples.

My inlaws are medieval recreationests so come the end of days I would definitely want them on my team. Especially since we have three kids to protect.

Lady Neeva
August 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM
If a zombie apocalypse did occur, I would be at school.
They have 1500 kids to chose from.
And the fact that hairstyles would be last things on my mind. The main priority is to throw the nearest object (a binder) if a zombie gets too close, and RUN.

Greenfire
August 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM
You guys are not thinking survival. You do NOT want to be in a position that requires hand to hand combat with anyone, let alone zombies, so all those hair weapons won't help you if you get that close. If you're worried about a zombie grabbing your hair and keeping you there, or a stray attacker of the non zombie variety, you've likely already lost. First scenario, you won't be able to stab a zombie's head off with those pretty sharpened chopsticks before he bites you and turns you, second scenario, you'll get hurt, and won't be able to seek medical care and die from infection later anyway..

What you NEED to do is make a SHTF plan now. Thinking about your hair is great, it's fun. But survival after DayZ is more than just running from zombies. How are you going to feed yourself? You will need a partner, if only to be on the lookout while you're hunting, and on THAT note, I want everyone here to read THIS LINK ABOUT WHY NOT TO CUT YOUR HAIR (http://unitedtruthseekers.com/forum/topics/the-truth-about-hair-and-why-indians-would-keep-their-hair-long-b?xg_source=activity) and then see if they still want to shave their heads.

Closest thing to someone who might survive in this thread is the Lara Croft pic, cause she had a gun.

I also see a post apocalyptic world in which survivors use their hair to show what tribe they belong to, or just to say, hey, I'm not a zombie cause they can't DO this kind of style with their zombie hands can they? It just might save you from getting your head blown off by some paranoid, so make sure it's long, make sure you take time to make it styled, and use it for an edge!

(glad I could keep some of you alive for a little longer... you're welcome:D

SerinaDaith
August 31st, 2012, 10:19 PM
I think the close combat things would be for protection from other survivors more than close combat with zombies. My inlaws are nra members so we would have the bonus of being well armed with long range weapons.
I love the link, I have heard about this before but cannot remember where.

TeaGarden
September 1st, 2012, 12:03 AM
I would definitely be rocking the french braid a la Angelina in Tomb Raider. Or just a high ponytail. I highly doubt I would have the time to do anything more, even if they aren't the most rock solid styles.

My weapon would be a sword. And hopefully some sort of flame throwing weapon too. (My fire poi probably won't be much use in that department.)

And if my hair started to bother me, I'd pull a Mulan and chop it just below my chin. Short, but long enough to put in a pony.

bubblyredhead
September 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I am thinking long hair, my fathers arsenal, a group which would include my father( survival skills, can clean a deer quicker than anyone I have ever seen among other reasons) my uncle( kick ass arsenal, survival skills, kickass bow, knows how to make weapons) my grandmother( she can grow a garden anywhere and knows the secrets to canning the old way ) my brother ( he has lots of swords and shotguns) and a few other people for similar or other reasons like my aunt who is becoming a nurse etc etc etc. I will be taking/meeting my group at my aunt and uncles farm that is well water and the closest neighbor is roughly 5 miles and unless you know the way and recognize the fish you will never find it, and they have a ton of brass and stuff to reload so pretty much endless bullets for a very very long time plus they have cattle so we will have beef for a bit.

Oddly enough my family has a standing Zombie apocolypse day plan it involves a convoy of my dads truck ( 3/4 ton diesel with a HUGE brush gaurd, my uncles jeep ( lifted and its a jeep goes anywhere) and my jeep again its a jeep i can go where ever I want to go and then some. We each have our own pick up list for people and supplies.

As for the hair I will keep it long braided and covered although I am thinking about making a shirt with an elastic hood or non slip kind of thing. forget about the sharp hair sticks I would just hurt myself.

By typing this out it makes me realize how paranoid/nerdy my family is.

Tristelle
September 1st, 2012, 05:01 AM
I would wear my hair in a French braided Nautilus bun held by a flexi-8. Nothing holds better for me, and I don't want my hair to be a liability or getting gripped in a Zombie apocalypse.

I would surely use an iron bar or something like that, for I don't know how to use a sword or a gun, nor do I have any (and guns are noisy... Which is not a good thing, driving all zombies in the zone to you.)

If I had to travel, I would use a bike. It's faster than walking, silent, and it doesn't get out of oil.

But, hey, I know that in case of Zombie Apocalypse I would be amongst the first victims. There's no chance ever that I could survive (except if I somehow end with people more gifted for survival).
So I should just let my hair in a long braid, thus giving a chance to my future victims to try to slow me down by gripping my hair.

AutumnLocks
September 1st, 2012, 08:50 AM
If there is some zombie apocolypse or computer take over I think the best thing to do would be to cut my hair off. With my hair as long as it is it would make a great handle for some grubby walker to grab! I think I'd go the Vin Diesel route and just shave it off! Shave it off and find a hat. :)

Greenfire
September 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM
I can tell you all, that if I see you coming and your hair isn't looking like someone with a human brain styled it, then I'm just gonna blow your head off and not wait to see if you've turned zombie or not, but if your hair looks awesome and you're running down the road, I'll hesitate long enough to let you answer what you're running from. Then I'll blow the heads off the guys behind you.

FireFromWithin
September 1st, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking crown braid and a motorcycle suit, maybe some kind of bonnet for extra protection and ribbon through the braid to add strength and to be used for a torneque in an emergency. Braid would take about 20mins a week I think. Totally manageable and comfy for sleeping and running.

I think I'd have holders for knives rather than put too much stuff in my hair. (I'd take the time to customise these things before going on the run. I'd stay in Devon, it's out of the way so it would hopefully take them a while to reach me).

What would you do for transport? Horses as they don't need petrol which would run out quickly?

Personally a group sounds best, not more than 10 people max. I'd take my DB with me - he's good at fixing things and metal/ wood work so he could make our weapons. I could be the medic - would have to loot a hospital/ pharmacy for all the meds we might need. I'd defo want lots of anti-biotics and bandages!

koala
September 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'd take a different approach than most people.

Assuming I don't manage to kill myself (which would be my first choice, I mean really, I don't care to survive if everyone else is going to be a zombie), I would play up my weakness and find men who can protect me. I've learned that it's easy to find stronger men who will feel really protective toward a girl who's younger and weaker than they are. So I'd keep my hair long and do whatever I can to look as feminine and cute as possible, so all of the strong people would want to do the fighting for me. All of the hair supplies I can bring, a comb to detangle it, rags I can use to curl it, a scarf to sleep in so it stays protected, etc. My top priority would be finding things to keep my hair and the rest of me looking pretty.

That way, when the zombies attack, I have someone fighting and giving me a better chance of escaping.
I'm way too weak to fight for myself, but I can walk long distances and sprint if I need to. And I'm also pretty good at finding guys who want to take care of me.

Of course, if life were a movie, I'd be the character everyone wants killed off. But in a zombie apocalypse, there's no room to be concerned about making a political statement and presenting yourself as empowered if it's going to get you killed :D

neko_kawaii
September 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Just think of all the weapons and useful items you could stash in your bun. . .

misspurdy06
September 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
I'm sure a simple braid tucked into my shirt will do.

HylianGirl
September 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
What an awesome thread! I guess I'd wear some sort of french/dutch braid to keep all my hair secure, and bun the braid to avoid zombies from grabbing it.

leslissocool
September 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Just think of all the weapons and useful items you could stash in your bun. . .

Seriously. I could use my bun to hold granades, or fasten a braid in the pin, pull and throw... http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Guns%20-%20Shooting/zombies.gif

piffyanne
September 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Seriously. I could use my bun to hold granades, or fasten a braid in the pin, pull and throw... http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Guns%20-%20Shooting/zombies.gif
:joy:I'm so glad someone revived this thread.

If ever a thread was appropriate to have in a Zombiefied state:brains:, this one would be it.

Also, this http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/badge315/Guns%20-%20Shooting/zombies.gif is an awesome emoticon!! :crush:

Remember, Robots are a different animal, everyone! Would you do anything differently?

katfemme89
September 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM
I see no reason to cut my hair off in a zombie apocalypse. I would simply make it into a tight braid on top of my head with a long thin blade attached to the end. Walker comes after me, BAM I just swung the braid and lopped their head off. Game over.

Robots or computers would be trickier. Harder to fool and harder to beat up. I think I would wear in a protective style if it was a robot apocalypse. Maybe with a grenade hidden inside just in case I get cornered.

By the way, this is a f'awesome thread. Thanks for making it.

piffyanne
September 1st, 2012, 11:11 PM
I see no reason to cut my hair off in a zombie apocalypse. I would simply make it into a tight braid on top of my head with a long thin blade attached to the end. Walker comes after me, BAM I just swung the braid and lopped their head off. Game over.

Robots or computers would be trickier. Harder to fool and harder to beat up. I think I would wear in a protective style if it was a robot apocalypse. Maybe with a grenade hidden inside just in case I get cornered.

By the way, this is a f'awesome thread. Thanks for making it.
(Bold mine)
You're more than welcome. I can honestly say I enjoyed writing the opening post to this more than anything else I've written on here, and that's saying quite a lot. I let my sense of humor run unchecked. I was heartbroken when the poor thread died so quickly.

Some lovely (GrowingOut, this means YOU! :flowers: ) seems to have found it lying in a puddle of broken thread-shreds and brought it back to life. I can't thank you enough!!:blossom::blossom::blossom:

leslissocool
September 1st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Robots are SCARY to me! Call me naive, but Terminator really hit home and I need some gnarly physical preparation before hand. So it can't be a sudden thing, I have to see it coming so I can brush up on my math skills, learn programing, and pump iron before hand or else I won't make it!
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/Terminator.gif

And while at it:

http://www.infographicsonly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/575113_10151044705138125_1016346382_n.jpg

hellucy
September 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
This thread is brilliant... (have just read all 13 pages), SO is a big zombie 'fan' if that's the right word - he is convinced that it will happen.... so the plan is head for Dartmoor high up a Tor - with plenty of supplies.
No zombie is going to walk miles into the middle of nowhere, so we will generally be safe except for maybe the odd zombie which SO can deal with.
The resevoir will provide clean water so washing hair wont be a problem as for putting it up I think a braid will be sufficient but I may try hair taping as well just so I don't have to deal with it so often.

MinderMutsig
September 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Let me check my Zombie Survival Guide, and I'll get back to you. My thoughts are to either clip it short (not shave, as one astute poster said, as it introduces nicks and cuts and provides less protection), or have it in a crown braid.

Besides, I've always wanted to be a post-apocalyptic Heidi.

Loving this thread, by the way:spitting:

I'd keep my hair long, braided and bunned. There is no way I would be mistaken for a boy no matter how short my hair is and long hair is easier to manage for me. Especially in cases where functionality trumps aesthetics. It can be in a braided bun for weeks without taking it down to wash or comb.

I would probably use hairmoons with sharpened tips and have plenty of spares attached to my clothes since they are great self-defense weapons.

Tisiloves
September 2nd, 2012, 06:24 AM
Crown braid/interlaced braids, reasonably fast to do, rock solid, easily secured with string.

Also can be used to store bits and bobs.

GrowingOut
September 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
(Bold mine)
You're more than welcome. I can honestly say I enjoyed writing the opening post to this more than anything else I've written on here, and that's saying quite a lot. I let my sense of humor run unchecked. I was heartbroken when the poor thread died so quickly.

Some lovely (GrowingOut, this means YOU! :flowers: ) seems to have found it lying in a puddle of broken thread-shreds and brought it back to life. I can't thank you enough!!:blossom::blossom::blossom:

8) No problem

Also, I just got a metal spiral used for pony-tails/braids, so if I want it down but more protected from grabbing I can wear it.

Angel Barchild
September 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
My friends and I are long term gamers and most of them work as Security Officers at a maximum security prison. Needless to say we have a very well mapped out and designed Z-Day plan. In fact the Security Officers have "unofficial" facility wide policy. Being as it is a prison with a 25 foot high 10 foot thick limestone wall, topped with razor wire, and armed towers, we plan on holding it. That's the gist of the plan, it's way more complicated than that, we sit around and plan this stuff for hours of entertainment.

As for hair, well hygiene, beyond what is needed to not get sick, is soooo far down the list. I would probably just hack it short. Not shaved, that's just more skin for the mosquitoes, but short enough it will not be in my face. The last thing I need is hair getting in my way while I'm trying to head shot zombies from the guard tower. Not to mention the inevitable fleas lice and ticks that would be way easier to deal with if you have short hair.

My back up plan for all you Walking Dead fans,

Step 1, Find Daryl
Step 2, Do as Daryl says
Step 3, Live

cnd0020
September 3rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
I assume shampoo, conditioner, and toiletries would be hard to come by. So, assuming our hair gets hopelessly tangled and gross, I guess I'll let my BSL hair form dreadlocks.

Suguru
September 3rd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Depending how desperate I was for supplies, I reckon my hair could make some pretty decent rope to use for tying myself in a tree to sleep (hunger games style) or strangling/tripping zombies with. So I vote chop it off to a just-ponytailable-length. Any longer and it's too much fuss if you ever take it down, any shorter and you run into the problem of having to have regular haircuts to avoid hair-in-eyes, and haircuts are the last thing you want to be fussing with in an apocalypse scenario! :D

gratitudinous
September 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
<snip>

Step 1, Find Daryl
Step 2, Do as Daryl says
Step 3, Live

:lol: :laugh: :rollin:

ApatheticFairy
September 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'll probably let it dread and then tie all of them together in a huge ponytail with another dreadlock so that when the apocalypse starts, I can be queen of my own city simply by looking like a badass. I have like, a two year supply of Murray's hair wax and another year of Panacea left so... my hair should be OK (and waterproof! THANKS, MURRAY'S!) if I just massage the scalp every so often.

According to Dead Island, I will never become a zombie as I am type O negative, but in the case of the apocalypse, I am taking no chances.

I can't run fast, either, but my SO and I made a pact that we will help each other as long as we can (I have medical training for first aid and am great with a gun and sais but he's the tank and the close combat expert) before one or the other finally succumbs to zombieage, we have to run away in a heartfelt scene in which the infected fends off the remaining hoard so the other can get away. (Kind of like in "Dead Island" the video game where the mechanic dad makes the awesome freaking tank but makes the people immune to infection take his unbitten daughter)

I know how to make bullets, and SO'S BFF has the equipment to do so, so we should be OK until the food supply gets low.

katfemme89
September 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
leslissocool I LOVE your apocalypse crew!!!!!!!!!!

thatcrazychick
September 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'd probably do some french braid pigtails, braiding in a spiked strap of some sort (maybe a narrow belt and some short nails?) That way if I ended up fighting another human - over supplies or whatnot - they couldn't grab my hair, AND my headbutts would have bad results for them. If the condition of my hair became a problem, I'd probably just use some vaseline or something to keep the braids tight and not quite falling apart. Its not like I'd be going on a date anytime soon. If need be, a knife could make short work of any problematic braids.

I'd probably try to get as much of my DBF's family and mine together as possible, and build up a good arsenal of melee weapons, guns and ammo, and various chemicals. There are lots of "hollers" and woods to get away from the city (I'd assume such a population center would be overrun quickly).

Currently, a good old-fashioned .22 would work if I had a zombie problem in my neighborhood. Especially considering that we already have a few in the U.S.: http://rt.com/usa/news/drug-bath-salt-zombie-321/

Greenfire
September 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Whatever makes us live longer, helps us all, be it zombies, robots, pandemic, economic downfall, this map could be extremely useful to all!

http://www.mapofthedead.com/map/

Specifically, you can look up your area and find all the supplies you need nearby, and see exactly where to avoid!

Inky
September 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM

Step 1, Find Daryl
Step 2, Do as Daryl says
Step 3, Live
... my favourite plan! x

GrowingOut
September 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
... my favourite plan! x

Seems legit.

~DandelionDesu!
September 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM
OOH! This is interesting indeed! But in all seriousness if the apocalypse came randomly... I'd probably be in the shower. The moment I find out the world is jacked up, I'd go for my packages of BIC pens.. I can use them as hair sticks (2 or more for my thick hair), write messages, and if all my weapons fail me, stab stab stab!! Pens might be easier to obtain too. I mean Pens are everywhere! People probably won't be thinking of pens when the apocalypse comes... And if I didn't have anything, I'd go fr the organic braid, bun or ponytail... I'd also go with a small group, id probably risk my life a whole bunch of times.. I can't stand seeing anyone die.. As for the apocalypse.. I watched plenty of Walking dead.. Bring it on Zombies!! ( P.S. I'm new! Greetings from America!)

Greenfire
September 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
( P.S. I'm new! Greetings from America!)

PERFECT thread to make a first post in!!! Welcome!

I'm actually rethinking my hair and thinking it would be really cool to go with some counterculture hair style like Yolandi Vi$$er! click for pic (http://audrey-styleiconyolandivis4.buzznet.com/user/photos/style-icon-yolandi-visser-die/?id=68229656)

I mean, it would be the end of the world right? Why wouldn't we want to look like we were in Road Warrior???

leslissocool
September 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
leslissocool I LOVE your apocalypse crew!!!!!!!!!!

You are more than welcome to to join, and you don't need to bring anything other than a good hair stick, I think we are equipped.

http://www.undeadreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/stock-up.jpg

Bring it on! :cool: I have enough to overdose in in case they infect Norris, there is NO WAY I am staying alive to find out what kind of zombie he's like :bigeyes:.

piffyanne
September 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
You are more than welcome to to join, and you don't need to bring anything other than a good hair stick, I think we are equipped.

http://www.undeadreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/stock-up.jpg

Bring it on! :cool: I have enough to overdose in in case they infect Norris, there is NO WAY I am staying alive to find out what kind of zombie he's like :bigeyes:.
(Bold mine)

I'll start growing Monkshood and Foxglove in case that happens. Thanks for the reminder, leslissocool! ;)

kme81
September 24th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Has anyone read the Beka Cooper series by Tamora Peirce? Beka is a medieval-ish policewoman who wears something like a leather strip with sharp metal studs braided into her hair. It caught some bad guys off guard in the book!

fairhairedthing
September 24th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Dang if my hair were longer, nothing beats the old 28' long dreadlock-grapple. :D That could get me out of a lot of trouble..

JesusFreak88
September 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Has anyone read the Beka Cooper series by Tamora Peirce? Beka is a medieval-ish policewoman who wears something like a leather strip with sharp metal studs braided into her hair. It caught some bad guys off guard in the book!

Tamora Peirce is my favorite author!

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Tamora Peirce is my favorite author!
MINE TOO! :crush:

bonibon
September 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I used to wear my hair down nearly everyday to school and after having people touch it constantly, out of frustration I finally decided to try hair toys. The first time I wore a hair stick to school, a few friends were joking about how knives aren't allowed on the premises. But I was able to have this extremely sharp metal stick in my hair and not get a single comment from any teachers. Need less to say no one tried to touch my hair that day ;)

So I guess I'd just find my sharpest hair sticks, that way I'd have a way to keep my hair up and a pretty decent weapon.

kganihanova
February 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Fantasy side note here but how would you take care of your hair if there was a zombie apocalypse?

sumidha
February 16th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Definitely would cut it off ASAP!

kganihanova
February 16th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I'd braid and bun it. Provided the bun wasn't too big in which case I'd put the braid b/w my shirt and back.

Wildcat Diva
February 16th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Hairtoy weaponry, duh!

Colochita
February 16th, 2015, 03:32 PM
It would ALL get shaved right off.

neko_kawaii
February 16th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Always a fun topic. Lots to read here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85701

CremeTron
February 16th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Milkmaid braids! Benign Neglect!

spidermom
February 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Nothing. I'd be dead in a day.

Imalath
February 16th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Me too.

If I survived long enough to make hair care an issue, a braided bun and a big scarf to protect it from sun, dirt, and flying guts.

Squirrelspring
February 16th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find something incredibly foul-smelling to zombies but excellent for my hair and use it. Run, hide in secret lair and contemplate ideas on how to stop the apocalypse.

two_wheels
February 16th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I heard that brains make an excellent protein treatment

Lavendersugar
February 16th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Hairtoy weaponry, duh!
Love this answer!

Unfortunately I'm with the others that would not last long enough to worry about hair.

Avis
February 16th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Assuming I'm not the one of the first ones to go, I'd probably braid it, cut the braid off and keep it for starting fires or for rope. An interesting thing to think about..:hmm:

darklyndsea
February 16th, 2015, 05:44 PM
My plan for the zombie apocalypse is to get on the winning side as soon as possible. And at that point I don't think I'll be caring about my hair anymore.

Wildcat Diva
February 16th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Love this answer!

Unfortunately I'm with the others that would not last long enough to worry about hair.

Thank you.

I've watched "The Walking Dead" enough to know that it's not always so much the zombies you have to worry about in this scenario.

#fightthedead,feartheliving

cathair
February 16th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I'd have Wadsworth look after it for me:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wadsworth

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x133/myfallenangelshadow/falloutstuff7734/SSA54243sm.jpg

mz_butterfly
February 16th, 2015, 07:20 PM
It would most likely be braiding and bunning and covering in a buff.

Washing would probably be almost impossible so SO would probably be the routine and washing would be for special occasions.

Lady Mary
February 16th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Assuming I'd survive at all... I'd probably keep it. Longer hair can protect me from the sun and if I can't wash it regularly short hair would be a greasy nightmare. Hair can be used against you though, someone could grab it, but honestly I am so small, someone could grab me anywhere and hurt me. If I had access to tools to keep it very short, I might go that route but the sun would be horrible without a hat. Yes, I've thought about this before. :P

YvetteVarie
February 17th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Shave it all off. I won't have any time to detangle and what not

DreamSheep
February 17th, 2015, 02:00 AM
I'd braid a spiky ball to the end and use it to whip the zombies!

Also, in martial arts, hair has proven to be more protective (covering pressure points) than the opposite, but a few makeshift hairtoys would definitely come in handy

missblueeyes
February 17th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I wouldn't last long, that's for sure, but if I'd somehow make it I'd switch to SO and wear a dutch braid with some kind of clip to keep it up and out of the way. Oh and I'd probably hide a whole tub of coconut oil somewhere in my belongings, just in case.

mindwiped
February 17th, 2015, 04:16 AM
I heard that brains make an excellent protein treatment

Love this!

Majorane
February 17th, 2015, 05:08 AM
In almost all modern zombie preparation guides, as well as survivor stories, several things become very clear: staying in one place increases your chances of getting you killed, and hair is a potentional hazard due to grabby hands. Sure, it might also protect several pressure points, but zombies aren't likely to go for those. They go for the head, with inaccurate movements but deadly deliberation.
Grooming aside (depending on the scale of the outbreak there might be a temporarily shortage of water and cleaning supplies, but except for the biggest of epidemics those will not likely last very long) the grabbing potentional of longer hair is a major safety issue when battling the undead. Only the uppest and tightest of updo's might minimalize this risk. Hats and other headcoverings can block part of your vision (wide brims) or be another grabby hazard (end of protective silk scarf). On the other hand, a head covering might also be a decent decoy, insofar as that a potentional hair grabbing zombie will first fumble and try to eat any torn off headgear, giving the former wearer valuable seconds to escape. So in that light there is something to be said for headcoverings IF they are easy to take off.

However, the surest way to pass this major safety hurdle in the battle against the walking dead, short cropped or buzzcuts are still considered the easiest and safest of hairdo's. In that light, when push comes to shove and when faced with a major large scale outbreak, rest assured that I will clip short my hair and the hair of everyone that is dear to me.

Seriously gals. Safety first!

Majorane
February 17th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Of course, the decoy tactic of an easily taken off silk scarf or other protective headpiece can still be used when hair is clipped short. In fact, it is my personal opinion that both short hair and a scarf or un-brimmed hat are advisable and recommendable in almost all situations. And the added benefit is that the buzzcut virgin hair will stay protected and not suffer any winddamage or other outside influences, and thus is pampered and the perfect canvast to start another new longhair journey when a safe base is established and the need for close zombie combat is gone.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 06:45 AM
:rollin::rollin: :rollin: this thread cracks me up...

Can't say for sure what I would do with the hair. If I did cut it back it would have to be long enough to at least tie back, cause in the real would I can't even go outside with a little bit of wind and my hair down without being blinded by the silver cloud. Mid length would be a problem cause that in between stage would be impossible to keep out of your eyes, again can't fight (or run) if you can't see. I imagine claw clips and hairbands might be in short supply in the post apocalyptic world, and those things I swear evaporate into thin air, can't imagine trying to keep track of them if my life literally depended on it.

I always thought Carol was cool on the WD, rocking the short pixie but I have cut my own pixie and I can tell you for sure it never looked as good as hers :p. Leaning more towards the big chop I think after all this mental back and forth........

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I just don't think zombies are that adept at finger coordination to permit grabbing. It may be a deadly decision if I'm wrong, but I'll keep my hair and wear it up.

hanne jensen
February 17th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I would bun and cover my hair. In such a traumatic situation I'd want something left from my old life. Even fighting zombies, there must be some down time. Many small weapons can be hidden in the hair for hand to hand combat.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I would bun and cover my hair. In such a traumatic situation I'd want something left from my old life. Even fighting zombies, there must be some down time. Many small weapons can be hidden in the hair for hand to hand combat.

this would be the perfect time to start wearing stainless steel chopsticks, file the points down a bit. It would be the perfect last ditch weapon when you are locked in mortal combat with human foe or hungry zombie.....

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Good idea. They might need some sort of handle or grip. Zombie fighting can get goopy and slippery.

chen bao jun
February 17th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I think they will quickly eat me hair and all

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Never fear Chen. Come here and we will form a group and defend each other. I'm sure you will have a purpose greater than zombie fodder in the post apococlyptic world.

veryhairyfairy
February 17th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Never fear Chen. Come here and we will form a group and defend each other. I'm sure you will have a purpose greater than zombie fodder in the post apococlyptic world.

We can all gather on my six acres in the middle of Montana to restart a longhaired society! :agree:

My 'plan' is to never be in a position of having to deal with the zombies, because by the time the world rejects us I'll be as self sustaining as possible.
But if I get caught unprepared I doubt I would cut it. I mean, think about it:
1. How are you going to cut it close enough to not be in your eyes without an electric buzzer? Scissors would work but it's time consuming and can be dangerous.
2. How are you going to keep it short enough as it grows? It's a big responsibility then because otherwise your vision is reduced (coverings can be lost, etc).
3. How will you become the longhaired queen of the post apocalyptic world without your long hair?!?! :silly:

ETA: But in the vein of actual hair care post modern world:
I think SO or WO is the way to go, but eventually I'll learn how to make soap out of fat and lye leeched from ashes, then we'll all just use shampoo bars and lemon juice rinses! :thumbsup:

MINAKO
February 17th, 2015, 09:03 AM
i would buzz it, end of story... seriously, i couldnt do without having my products at hand and being able to use certain tools, so instead of a birds nest i would rather have no hair. then again i might be lucky enough to escape into a beauty supply store and find a nice bathroom upstairs and live there, hahaha.

Lindenare
February 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM
We can all gather on my six acres in the middle of Montana to restart a longhaired society! :agree:

My 'plan' is to never be in a position of having to deal with the zombies, because by the time the world rejects us I'll be as self sustaining as possible.
1. How are you going to cut it close enough to not be in your eyes without an electric buzzer? Scissors would work but it's time consuming and can be dangerous.
2. How are you going to keep it short enough as it grows? It's a big responsibility then because otherwise your vision is reduced (coverings can be lost, etc).
3. How will you become the longhaired queen of the post apocalyptic world without your long hair?!?! :silly:

I think SO or WO is the way to go, but eventually I'll learn how to make soap out of fat and lye leeched from ashes, then we'll all just use shampoo bars and lemon juice rinses! :thumbsup:

This is pretty much my argument against cutting my hair in a survival situation. It's much easier and more practical for me to keep it long and put away.

If I can get to Montana when the apocalypse happens, count me in! I know how to make soap already, as well as vinegar to replace the lemon juice when it runs out.

MINAKO
February 17th, 2015, 09:06 AM
It would ALL get shaved right off.

lol, i just read your solution after i replied. we can shave each others heads then. :D

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 09:09 AM
i would buzz it, end of story... seriously, i couldnt do without having my products at hand and being able to use certain tools, so instead of a birds nest i would rather have no hair. then again i might be lucky enough to escape into a beauty supply store and find a nice bathroom upstairs and live there, hahaha.

:rollin: you simply must have priorities, I love it......

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Very hairy fairy! Yes!
It's a long trek from Texas to Montana, but I think I could make it. Might take a few months... I already know the best routes away from the city around here. (Thank you hurricane evacuation experiences)!
I stay away from the routes that all the sheep travel.

veryhairyfairy
February 17th, 2015, 09:40 AM
This is pretty much my argument against cutting my hair in a survival situation. It's much easier and more practical for me to keep it long and put away.

If I can get to Montana when the apocalypse happens, count me in! I know how to make soap already, as well as vinegar to replace the lemon juice when it runs out.

Oh, you'll be VERY valuable in our society! :D

Very hairy fairy! Yes!
It's a long trek from Texas to Montana, but I think I could make it. Might take a few months... I already know the best routes away from the city around here. (Thank you hurricane evacuation experiences)!
I stay away from the routes that all the sheep travel.

Bolded made me laugh out loud! :lol:
Your skills will be lost if you get caught on the highways in a miles long traffic jam/zombie food trough. And just think: the trek will be worth it because by that time I'll have chickens and goats and we'll celebrate your arrival with a feast of cheese and eggs (and maybe an old hen)!

(Oh goodness, I have to remind myself that in an actual apocalyptic scenario it would be sad how much life was lost... I get too excited about living in a non-consumer society!) :laugh:

chen bao jun
February 17th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Yes, I am coming! Thank you wild cat diva and very hairy fairy! If I get there safe I will help with the cooking, I'm good at that if someone else can make the fire and help hunt and skin the meat. The fire should be good for scarring zombies Away, they hate fire. My cast iron cooking pots will be good for throwing at them. I will try to corn row my hair in a crown braid and keep it up and make big decisions like whether to shave it off later. we will put some cooking oil and vinegar aside for our hair care, vinegar can also be used for rinsing if we have to waso our hair with soap.

I am also a good storyteller to help amuse with no TV or I pods and I am greal with singalongs. And I am good with helping taking care of fussy small children -- love them!

chen bao jun
February 17th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I can cook goat meat but we might better save the goats for milk. And the chickens for eggs, until they get too old to lay. We really need some hunters. Oh, and please plant some veggies and herbs, especially corn and beans.

Rushli
February 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I am just a state over! I will join you! DH is great at improvising and can hunt and cook. I can fish. And my little boys can go drive Chen crazy ;) They love to help cook. I also have a pretty big essential oil stash that can get us through for a bit. If it is summer, I can bring a pretty good herb plant stash too.... well you know if I can get live plants over there. My dried stash is still small yet.

Nordlilja
February 17th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Do you like sourdough bread? Start bilding an oven, I'll be joining you after first zombie-appearence!

MINAKO
February 17th, 2015, 10:41 AM
hahahaha, i imagine all of us gathering now, half terrified and half all over ourselves in vanity! XDDD

Kyla
February 17th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I would probably cut it to shoulder and braid the rest, and then probably forget about it for the rest of what I would assume would be my rather short life during the apocalypse. (I got to work on those survival skills).

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I have been watching "dual survival" show on TV and learning all kinds of helpful things.

I think the frozen weather slows the zombies down too.

Lindenare
February 17th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Remind me to pack a set of laboratory glassware. I can do all kinds of useful things with that, including hair-related stuff like distilling essential oils. (Pain in the neck, though, and takes forever.

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Now we are getting fancy!

Lindenare
February 17th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Now we are getting fancy!

I consider it fairly basic for long-term living, actually. Mostly because it's good for distilling small amounts of ethanol and synthesizing diethyl ether, both of which I'd want to have on hand for medical reasons. Extracting essential oils is just icing on the proverbial cake.

endlessly
February 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM

Same. I can't run to save my life and have very little useful survival skills. If I did manage to make it past a day, my hair would be the last thing on my mind!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 17th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Oooh ooohh, can I come too!? I want to be part of the new longhair society!

I can cook goat meat but we might better save the goats for milk. And the chickens for eggs, until they get too old to lay. We really need some hunters. Oh, and please plant some veggies and herbs, especially corn and beans.
I have two goats I can bring and they are useless in terms of breeding or milk production (they're wethers/castrated males), so we could totally eat them if need be. My husband can hunt, and I can help with cooking and gardening.

Do you like sourdough bread? Start bilding an oven, I'll be joining you after first zombie-appearence!
I LOVE sourdough bread!
Well shoot... now I'm getting all excited about the zombie apocalypse... :p

Wildcat Diva
February 17th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I consider it fairly basic for long-term living, actually. Mostly because it's good for distilling small amounts of ethanol and synthesizing diethyl ether, both of which I'd want to have on hand for medical reasons. Extracting essential oils is just icing on the proverbial cake.

Can you craft us some sort of still?

Lindenare
February 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Can you craft us some sort of still?
Probably, with a little reading up on it. It's just a bigger distillation apparatus.

hanne jensen
February 17th, 2015, 12:12 PM

I'm a farmer and very good with herbs. Have you ever heard of soaproot? Grows anywhere in the world with almost no care and can be used to wash hair, body, dishes, clothes, almost anything. I can make alchohol out of almost anything. I can knit socks, scarves and hoodies. In a pinch I can knit sweaters. Can I come?

LarissaLuna
February 17th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I'd wear it down. I'm sure I'd be killed very soon and long hair suits me best - and somehow I'd like to enjoy my hair as long as I can...

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I'd wear it down. I'm sure I'd be killed very soon and long hair suits me best - and somehow I'd like to enjoy my hair as long as I can...

Well then you'd be a zombie with long lovely hair, definitely a plus. :thumbsup:

Waverly
February 17th, 2015, 02:14 PM
:D

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x133/myfallenangelshadow/falloutstuff7734/SSA54243sm.jpg
Yay! Another Fallout geek! Sorry, I get very excited when I find a fellow fan. Wendy The Welder was my go to as well. However, as much as I love my hair I'm firmly in the 'shave the lot off right now' camp when it comes to the zombie apocalypse. :D

veryhairyfairy
February 17th, 2015, 04:08 PM

Oh yes, you'll be invaluable on those long cold winter nights to pass the time with your stories! :o My plan for the acreage is fruit trees and a berry patch and at least an acre of vegetables, we'll live like royalty!

I am just a state over! I will join you! DH is great at improvising and can hunt and cook. I can fish. And my little boys can go drive Chen crazy ;) They love to help cook. I also have a pretty big essential oil stash that can get us through for a bit. If it is summer, I can bring a pretty good herb plant stash too.... well you know if I can get live plants over there. My dried stash is still small yet.

Hiya, (summertime) neighbor! EOs would be great to have on hand, and my SO has a huge stash of young living. And herbs will be essential for Lindenare's EO production! :thumbsup:

Oh, we've already got a wood burning stove in the place... sourdough! *drool*

I have been watching "dual survival" show on TV and learning all kinds of helpful things.

I think the frozen weather slows the zombies down too.
I always figured the cold winters would be perfect for immobilizing zombies (they'd freeze solid) and then we could go out and hunt elk and moose.

Dual Survival is in it's best incarnation now, it's so much fun to watch and so informative! :agree:

Oooh ooohh, can I come too!? I want to be part of the new longhair society!

I have two goats I can bring and they are useless in terms of breeding or milk production (they're wethers/castrated males), so we could totally eat them if need be. My husband can hunt, and I can help with cooking and gardening.

I LOVE sourdough bread!
Well shoot... now I'm getting all excited about the zombie apocalypse... :p

Oh yes, the more, the merrier! There's a man next door with 15 acres that we could spread out on, and I bet your goats will be useful for clipping the lawns! :lol:

I'm a farmer and very good with herbs. Have you ever heard of soaproot? Grows anywhere in the world with almost no care and can be used to wash hair, body, dishes, clothes, almost anything. I can make alchohol out of almost anything. I can knit socks, scarves and hoodies. In a pinch I can knit sweaters. Can I come?
Oh yay, someone who'll know how to get the most out of the land! (And brew up some wintertime drinks to go with Chen's stories!!!) And we've thought about having sheep or alpacas, too, so wool for your knitted garments!
Soaproot should go on my list of 'patches' of permanent plants, thanks for the heads up. I bet we'd be the cleanest, healthiest, post-apocalyptic society ever!

What would we call our society?
Land of Happiness and Cheese? (LHC)
:silly:

Lindenare
February 17th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Oh yes, you'll be invaluable on those long cold winter nights to pass the time with your stories! :o My plan for the acreage is fruit trees and a berry patch and at least an acre of vegetables, we'll live like royalty!

Sounds pretty good and a lot like what my parents are doing. Just curious; have you considered some type of grain?

Hiya, (summertime) neighbor! EOs would be great to have on hand, and my SO has a huge stash of young living. And herbs will be essential for Lindenare's EO production! :thumbsup:

Yes, I'll need lots and lots of herbs!

Oh yay, someone who'll know how to get the most out of the land! (And brew up some wintertime drinks to go with Chen's stories!!!) And we've thought about having sheep or alpacas, too, so wool for your knitted garments!
Soaproot should go on my list of 'patches' of permanent plants, thanks for the heads up. I bet we'd be the cleanest, healthiest, post-apocalyptic society ever!

Some animal with wool would certainly be necessary for those Montana winters. I learned how to card and use a drop spindle as a child, and I think I could get some yarn if I were to play around a little. I'm another knitter, and I know the basics of weaving if there's a loom handy.

Because I'm a nerd, I attempted to translate "Land of Happiness and Cheese" into Quenya and got Tyuralassėdor. I'm unsure whether that would translate to "Land of Happy Cheese" or "Happy Land of Cheese". Perhaps Dorė Tyurwa ar Alassėva would be better; it's definitely less ambiguous.

chen bao jun
February 17th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I do have a grain grinder. It is electric, we need a generator.
I had mentioned corn so far as grain.
I can knit, too. It all sounds so exciting.
My husband is great with computers if anything like that still runs in the zombie apocalypse. he also has watched night of the living dead about 1,000 times so probably knows a lot about zombies.

Earelia
February 17th, 2015, 07:24 PM
I was just playing Fallout 3 before I saw this post. :p I dunno if a zombie or nuclear apocalypse would be worse but either way I think I'd end up letting my hair get all matted into a protective helmet...

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Just watched part of Zombieland while making dinner tonight. It's a top 5 fav zombie movie for me......

ETA; it seems that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I guess Montana will be the place where all the long hairs will gather to regroup. Sounds good to me, if things settle down then I can regrow the hair I chopped off while surviving and heading to Montana, which for the record would be a haul from Pennsylvania.:p

I'm good with livestock; goats, horses, chickens and gardening; DH is one of those fix anything Macgyver types, a wiz with electronics and radios if those will still be functioning.

kitana97
February 17th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Frenchbraid pigtails I think I'd go for. That way it would be out of the way but I wouldn't have a long "rope" for a zombie to grab and pull me closer. I'd keep the pigtails over the front of my shoulders. As for washing I suppose I'd have to forfeit many cleaning luxuries I have now so I'd probably wash it in the river. Then I'd look to nature for oils and soapnuts.

hanne jensen
February 18th, 2015, 02:48 AM
I forgot to mention that Hubby is a plumber. Here in DK plumbers are also trained in heating and sanitation. So Hubby can jerry-rig solar power and sewage in case of no electricity.

RainbowBowser
February 18th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I'm torn between chopping it off and just permanent bunning. Disc buns hold up the longest based on experience, but I dont know which apparatus holds best. i could probably sew it all in place or something.

As for survival, if its a Canadian winter like this one, zombies will probably freeze outside and we can just chop their heads off.
My roommates are nerds who basically figured out scenarios beforehand so more than anything I'd be just an extra body to contribute to our unit of survival.

Alien Girl
February 18th, 2015, 03:30 AM
chop chop!!!! have a cute super short blunt bob :D

RavennaNight
February 18th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Find something incredibly foul-smelling to zombies but excellent for my hair and use it. Run, hide in secret lair and contemplate ideas on how to stop the apocalypse.

I wonder what would be foul smelling to zombies since they smell foul and decaying themselves? :hmm: I'd probably bun my hair and have some hair swords in there. Are we talking slow moving zombies or fast moving, word war z zombies?

Blackfire
February 18th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Soak in oil, crown braid, sew that in place for long lasting hair-out-of-the-way-ness. Cover with a scarf, put on some black eyeliner and let's go. I imagine I would be using my rifle against humans, and melee weapons against undead. I would camp out in the wilderness, where zombies will not be. Think about it, nothing to eat out there!

Taenarian
February 18th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Henna is to zombies what garlic is to vampires. Time to rock!

Rebecka
February 18th, 2015, 05:56 AM
http://blog.frisorska.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/haaruppsaettning_mun.jpg

I'd do this, for sure.

veryhairyfairy
February 18th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Sounds pretty good and a lot like what my parents are doing. Just curious; have you considered some type of grain?

Yes, I'll need lots and lots of herbs!

Some animal with wool would certainly be necessary for those Montana winters. I learned how to card and use a drop spindle as a child, and I think I could get some yarn if I were to play around a little. I'm another knitter, and I know the basics of weaving if there's a loom handy.

Because I'm a nerd, I attempted to translate "Land of Happiness and Cheese" into Quenya and got Tyuralassėdor. I'm unsure whether that would translate to "Land of Happy Cheese" or "Happy Land of Cheese". Perhaps Dorė Tyurwa ar Alassėva would be better; it's definitely less ambiguous.
There's a lot of 'wild' wheat out there just growing on the property, but I'm hoping to have a whole section of grains for winter storage. Yay home-milled sourdough!

If we do end up getting wool animals I'd be the first one to get all of the equipment and no-how to make yarn, and a loom is a necessity if I have yarn because how else will I make amazing wool blankets?!

If I'm pronouncing it correctly in my head, Tyuralassėdor sounds lovely! :D

I forgot to mention that Hubby is a plumber. Here in DK plumbers are also trained in heating and sanitation. So Hubby can jerry-rig solar power and sewage in case of no electricity.

Oh, nice! The plan is to install solar power asap, so your Hubs would be indispensable! And I'm sure he'd know more than my SO or I about the well and septic system. :thumbsup:

Lol, it's too much fun to think about surviving well in such a situation.

rina06
February 18th, 2015, 07:36 AM
looks like we'll all be involuntarily stretching washes...
Top knot for sure

NuclearApple
February 18th, 2015, 08:01 AM

GENIUS! xD

Sincerily hair would be the last thing to think about in a zombie apocalypse in my opinion, I'd probably chop it all of :o
Or maybe put it in some braided style and forget about it

rachelbethany
February 18th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I love this question, because every week when I watch The Walking Dead with the bf, I can't help but comment on the characters' hair. I find it interesting that Carol, for example, always has a short pixie cut. When does she have time to keep it so perfectly trimmed? I'm constantly asking questions like this.

To me, the ideal hair would be the character Michonne's. She has dreadlocks. I wouldn't chop all my hair off; just yesterday I was outside and freezing, so I took my bun out for the extra warmth my hair could provide. Hair is useful for other reasons, too (like weaving into things, serving as a pillow when sleeping, etc.). Sure, longer hair would be hard to keep clean and could get caught on things, but I could work around that. So locks/braids/twists, etc. would be my favorite. I don't have the ideal hair type for dreads, but I would find some version that would work for me. :P

Oh, I just found a video with Dania Gurira (the actress who plays Michonne on TWD) discussing the wig she wears for the part. http://www.ew.com/article/2014/09/18/walking-dead-danai-gurira-michonne-wig

cathair
February 18th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Yay! Another Fallout geek! Sorry, I get very excited when I find a fellow fan. Wendy The Welder was my go to as well. However, as much as I love my hair I'm firmly in the 'shave the lot off right now' camp when it comes to the zombie apocalypse. :D

Wendy the Welder is by faaaar they best hairstyle I agree :D It was my go to as well, but in deep blue :)

I was just playing Fallout 3 before I saw this post. :p I dunno if a zombie or nuclear apocalypse would be worse but either way I think I'd end up letting my hair get all matted into a protective helmet...

I love Fallout 3 so hard :) I'm playing through Dead Money on New Vegas at the moment, but Fallout 3 has a story that appeals to be more.

GENIUS! xD

Sincerily hair would be the last thing to think about in a zombie apocalypse in my opinion, I'd probably chop it all of :o
Or maybe put it in some braided style and forget about it

mindwiped
February 18th, 2015, 01:58 PM
There will be a small long hair friendly oasis in Kansas...I've got a group of friends with various skills and a plan, so the Texans could stop and catch their breath here. We've got a safe water source, medical supplies, and lots of firearm friendly people, with various survival skills. I'll be Dr. Mom, with the ability to cook for large groups with minimal ingredients. (Respiratory Therapist, but I've got a Jeopardy brain, so I've picked up a LOT of other medical knowledge, with the couple nurses we know, we'd be set for anything survivable with less technology-babies, broken bones, stitches, colds and flus). Our growing season will be longer, but we will have more zombie mobile weather here. Once you're outside a major metro, the population density is low, which helps.

Sharysa
February 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
1) I'm on an island. There are only three routes plus a ferry connecting us to the mainland. Once I help barricade the routes for zombies, it's pretty well-fortified. COME OVER TO THE EAST BAY, CALIFORNIA Z-POC SURVIVORS.

2) Weaponized hair-toys are pretty fun to think about, and as a last resort anything's good, but realistically? Even if I could wear buns, I really wouldn't want to make my head any bigger of a target than it already is for the zombies. Or more-coordinated human opponents.

So that means I'd either do a single or pigtail Dutch braid and tuck it into my shirt most of the time. For less-physical activities, crown braids and milkmaid braids are good--there's a reason they're called "milkmaid braids," not "sheltered-princess braids." Benign neglect has done pretty well for me--wash twice a week with half-strength Dr. Bronner's (unscented), which also doubles as normal soap, oil/condition, and leave it alone most of the time.

If I heard any sign of a z-poc happening, the first thing I'd do is stock up on Dr. Bronner's, almond oil, and Mixed Chicks. A single bottle of DB lasts about 1-2 months, a bottle of Mixed Chicks conditioner lasts about as long, and almond oil lasts at least 2-3 months. I'd be set for nearly half a year just by doubling my stock. Dr. Bronner's and Almond oil are both multi-use products (Dr. Bronner's is great as shampoo, body-wash, and general cleaning; body-grade almond oil is great for moisturizing, even if it doesn't smell as nice as lotion).

Someone mentioned The Walking Dead--it was pretty good for the first couple of seasons, but I HATE THEIR PORTRAYAL OF WOMEN. Aside from Maggie, Glen, Carol, and Daryl Dixon, I very quickly lost sympathy for everyone who didn't get killed off for shock value. Lori making Glen go into a zombie-infested city and almost kill himself to get her birth-control and conditioner? If you're going to be vain about your appearance in a gorram Z-poc, that's fine--BUT DON'T MAKE OTHER PEOPLE SUFFER FOR YOUR VANITY.

I love Zombieland. As over-the-top as it is, it's a lot better than the soap-opera that is the Walking Dead.

Quick note: My school's community garden has nettles, so they're great for food AND haircare! Plus I have a crapton of books about beekeeping, urban-farming, and native Californian gardening, so that's going to be useful to a lot of people.

gwenalyn
February 18th, 2015, 02:27 PM
What about knitting our shed hairs? lol, sounds gross, but why waste good fiber?

Wildcat Diva
February 18th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Brilliant Gwen! And mindswiped, such hospitality! I'm headed your way for sure.

jacqueline101
February 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I'd put on my leave ins, braid, and cover my hair. I'd practice benign neglect.

jupiterinleo
February 18th, 2015, 03:41 PM
First thing I'd do in an apocalypse is buzz my head completely. 0 upkeep, 0 problems.

evameganetron
February 18th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I'd wear it Princess Leia all day every day.

mindwiped
February 19th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Brilliant Gwen! And mindswiped, such hospitality! I'm headed your way for sure.

No problem, I just know that Texas to Minnesota is a long trek, knowing there's an oasis somewhere along the way is never a bad idea. That's a large part of why I plan to stay local, and have other local people who are like-minded, and would be able to contribute to more commune type living, which I think would be needed. Between house chores (laundry, cooking, childcare, food preservation), safety (guard/watch persons), and farmers/hunters/gathers, a small household would be unable to manage it all, so finding a mix of people with different skills will be needed.

It's fiction, but I really enjoyed the thought put behind this: http://www.amazon.com/Dies-Fire-Novel-Change-Emberverse-ebook/dp/B0023EF9IY/ref=la_B000AP5GTA_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424339997&sr=1-4

It's post apocalyptic, and the author really thought about how things would turn out in his opinion.

Plus I have at least one person in the group I _know_ I can outrun, and sadly the old joke is true, I don't have to be the fastest runner, I just have to be faster than somebody else.

As for my hair...I'm going to be so busy and panicked, that unless it begins to become a problem, I would probably contain it and ignore it as much as it will allow me. Once it becomes an issue/problem, it's gone, but I'm another who doesn't do well at certain growing out stages, and wouldn't want to buzz it unless my hair became an issue. Another thought on that point...my MIL said she never realized how warm hair kept you until her cancer treatments cause it to all fall out. She lived in hats/scarves/wraps just to keep herself warm.

veryhairyfairy
February 19th, 2015, 06:04 AM
There will be a small long hair friendly oasis in Kansas...I've got a group of friends with various skills and a plan, so the Texans could stop and catch their breath here. We've got a safe water source, medical supplies, and lots of firearm friendly people, with various survival skills. I'll be Dr. Mom, with the ability to cook for large groups with minimal ingredients. (Respiratory Therapist, but I've got a Jeopardy brain, so I've picked up a LOT of other medical knowledge, with the couple nurses we know, we'd be set for anything survivable with less technology-babies, broken bones, stitches, colds and flus). Our growing season will be longer, but we will have more zombie mobile weather here. Once you're outside a major metro, the population density is low, which helps.

Oh nice, we'll be sister communities and share resources and talents! :thumbsup:

So a question for those who would buzz: When would you decide that it's time to buzz?
Would you buzz as soon as you saw news stories about residents of an area going crazy and eating each other? (or whatever the headline is)
Would you wait until there were widespread reports of zombies?

Because in a real apocalyptic scenario, the power is going out pretty darn quickly. And if there's no power, there's no buzz cut, right?
Things to ponder. :)

Stray_mind
February 19th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I guess my hair would be unwashed for ages and put in a single braid or something ;D

Symbiotek
February 19th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Hm. I'd observe the situation for a week or two, and if the situation would not get better, I'd shave my head. Braids and ponytails are probably the worst hairstyles to wear during a zombie apocalypse, unless you have a beanie or a helmet of sorts that hides all your hair.

Waverly
February 19th, 2015, 07:31 AM
If I was in the US I'd join your community :( It sounds lovely. I think we Brits will have to start our own this side of the pond and then we can travel towards each other slowly when most others have died off (like the walking dead) I can also bake sourdough - I have an awesome starter and was raised in and extended family of chefs and farmers so can kill-and-cook. I like to think I'd be useful anyway :D

Angels+Eyeliner
February 19th, 2015, 07:42 AM
^ in that case, I'm with you, Waverly.

In the case of the hair, it decides what I plan. If I can bug in, the hair can stay and I'll bun it so it doesn't bother me. For quick journeys out, a hat so that no zombie can grab my hair. But if I have to keep moving, it's the scissors. Too much effort even clipping up and ignoring it, and there's the safety aspect of zombie hands yanking on a braid...

TatsuOni
October 27th, 2017, 01:59 AM
Time to bump this thread :)

I would put up my hair and be happy that there would no longer be people (read society), that demands clean hair. Seriously! I would happily go a long, long time without washing my hair. But I'd also cover it to avoid my Houdini-hair escaping or anyone grabbing it.

TatsuOni
October 27th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Bumping this thread, because it's awesome and I came to think about it a while ago, while talking about turning a braid into a whip :p

But I'd probably put it up in an Amish bun or something similar and cover it, so that no one could grab it and so that it couldn't escape :p

And I have two posts, 'cause our great mods worked their merging magic :) :magic:

Aredhel
October 27th, 2017, 05:21 AM
What a great concept for a thread! :D Whenever I workout I put my hair in a sectioned ponytail... I'd probably do that in the apocalypse too. Easy, comfortable, and keeps my hair tidy.

pili
October 27th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Haha! My NaNoWri Mo story has this. No zombies, but definitely post-apocalyptic hair care!

Kiiruna
October 27th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I would probably shave it all off. Priority on survival, not on long hair.

Dems
October 27th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Haha! My NaNoWri Mo story has this. No zombies, but definitely post-apocalyptic hair care!

Haha that sounds amazing! Good luck with it! :D

TatsuOni
October 27th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Though I would be very careful not to loose my comb and BBB. No hair washing: no problem. No comb and brush: really bad!

Hairkay
October 27th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I'd plait/braid it as usual and get on with what ever is necessary for survival. The only change is that I might have to go sebum only if there isn't a good water supply available.

Ulessa
October 28th, 2017, 09:12 PM
I think I'd cut it to somewhere like SL/APL so that I can put it in a really small ponytail, or put in a bun and out of my face if needed. Maybe I would crop it to pixie or something, but when it grows out there might be issues with that "awkward stage" where its too short to put up but long enough that it gets in your face. I don't think I'd shave it off though because as said earlier; hair is also a form of protection for your scalp.

Jo Ann
October 28th, 2017, 09:31 PM
I'd be all for a leather braid cover, along the lines of this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51X5QA2PjyL._SY355_.jpg

A friend of mine had one long enough to cover her longer-than-CL hair-when-braided when she rode her motorcycle. It did a very nice job of keeping her hair contained and tangle free!

Bonus: The braid can be used as a weapon! Think Fiona in "Shrek" (about the 55-second mark):

https://youtu.be/viCjtSFsKb0?t=55

Beckstar
October 28th, 2017, 11:46 PM
I'm safe because zombies wouldn't try to eat me. I'm a vegetarian and you are what you eat.

leayellena
October 29th, 2017, 03:36 AM
how about buns?
I“d take a tree branch, file and shape it into some kind of ketylo and put my hair into a nautilus bun.
the leather braid also rocks!

*Wednesday*
October 29th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Two pony tail braids, wrapped. Bow and arrows just in case of zombies. Keep a comb in my back pocket.

QueenMab
October 29th, 2017, 01:01 PM
If I didn't just shave it off, I'd definitely be going with some sort of simple braid up-do. Easier to fit under a helmet than a bun, less likely to catch on things than a long braid!

TatsuOni
January 26th, 2024, 10:52 AM
Though I would be very careful not to loose my comb and BBB. No hair washing: no problem. No comb and brush: really bad!

Yeah still the same all these years later :lol:

Lady Winchester
January 26th, 2024, 03:38 PM
Same way I usually wear it, back in a ponytail. There's no way I'm chopping it off for any reason! I'll use scraps of cloth to secure it if I have to! In case there's nothing left to secure it with, I'm going to have to learn how to make my own hair ties with normal everyday products. If Grandma robot can make a poncho out of leftover cables in Stray, I'm sure I can make hair accessories out of them if need be (but please find another way to deal with the trash if we ever have to move underground, since I don't think anybody wants to deal with the Zurks).

ETJ CURLS
January 26th, 2024, 07:26 PM
I'd probably do what I do when I go camping. Cornrows, with the ends either braided or bunned together. A bandana to keep it free of dirt and debris. As long as I have a knife I can carve a comb, and I can get by on WO if I really need to. :guns:

SandyBottom
January 27th, 2024, 08:30 AM
Survivor: Long Hair Edition