View Full Version : Homemade hair care tips!

toniblessed
February 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I have my wedding coming up in 11 days and I thought I should ask about everyone's best tips for homemade herbal hair care. I checked and didn't see a recent thread on this so I thought maybe it might be good to post a new suggestion for such tips. What do you all use? What methods do you use with your homemade hair products?

-Fern
February 15th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I think there's a separate forum board for Herbal Hair Care, but my favorite thing to do for my hair is make an easy mask out of honey and olive oil. It makes my hair so soft and smooth.

I usually use about 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil--heat in the microwave ten to fifteen seconds--and stir in 2 to 3 Tbsp honey. Let it cool til it's just warm (I've gotten impatient and scalded my neck), then apply to wet hair starting at the ends. No need to go higher than your chin unless you don't mind having slightly oily hair the next day. I wrap my hair in plastic and let sit for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it out thoroughly and shampooing/conditioning as usual.

The EVOO is quite heavy--my medium hair drinks it up. Finer hair might need a gentler touch, like grapeseed oil or even mineral oil. You can also add a few Tbsp plain greek yogurt if your hair needs extra protein...just let the oil/honey mix cool to below body temperature before adding it.

The honey MAY lighten your hair. For me, it makes the pigment more likely to change in the sun. It does not increase sun damage. Your mileage may vary.~ Good luck!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I have no tips but want to say congratulations on your wedding!

-Fern
February 15th, 2015, 08:42 PM
...D'oh, I got distracted. You are in the Herbal Haircare forum. ^_^ Don't mind me, apparently I need to do another caffeine rinse... :toast:

-Fern
February 15th, 2015, 08:44 PM
And more links to great recipes here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115830

Avis
February 15th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Ooh, I never knew about that thread with all the recipes. Thanks -Fern.

I like using a rosemary rinse. All you do is bring a some water to boil and add in about 5-7 sprigs of fresh rosemary. I use enough water to fill the empty shampoo bottle I store it in since I don't want to have to throw some away. Just turn it down to a light simmer when you add the rosemary and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered. If you cover it, it starts boiling and then the smell (and probably potency) diminishes. Let it cool, strain and bottle it and use it on already washed hair. Depending on how much you make and how much you use, it'll last you about 3-5 rinses. I keep mine in the fridge when I'm not using it. It makes my hair really soft, shiny and smell really good. I also have a spray bottle that I use to lightly spray my hair with it every morning to keep the fragrance in my hair.

Congrats on the wedding and I hope you find what you're looking for.

toniblessed
February 18th, 2015, 10:24 PM
That sounds lovely! I might consider doing that though usually I use a mix of coconut and olive oil and omit the honey because I can't afford for my hair to lighten. I have incredibly pale skin with naturally very dark brown hair so when it gets to light I oddly look very washed out. Though I think I'll try adding it in small doses every now and then. Thank you!

toniblessed
February 18th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Thank you so much!!!

toniblessed
February 18th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Oh my that sounds awesome! My soon to be mom in law grows her own rosemary and loves hearing about things like this so I'll have to tell her about it. We'll probably end up making it as soon as I bring it up! Thank you!!