PDA

View Full Version : Cutting In Layers - A place to rejoice

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 04:27 PM
I was looking at this thread:

Growing Out Layers- A place to complain
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

This obviously inspired me. :lol:

I thought to myself, there have to be people here who love their layers and are glad they got rid of the blunt cut. I am one of them. I use the compact cut method for layering (from the book, "Haircutting for dummies"), and I use the technique for short layers (ponytail on forehead).

Who else is glad they got layers and celebrating?

MagicalMystery
February 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
If I don't have layers, my hair looks like a triangle because it's so ridiculously thick! I love my layers, so I'm joining in! :)

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Yay, welcome! :D

My layers go all the way from BSL+ to TBL+ and I couldn't be happier. I was waist when I first got my layered cut, and without it I wouldn't have been able to grow past waist as the hair was getting to be a handful!

momschicklets
February 15th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I already love this thread :) My hair is wavy and I can't imagine not having layers...the bounce...the volume.....the movement! :crush: I haven't had my hair trimmed for over a year so my layers have become less noticeable as they've grown out. But my plan is to grow until December and then have my layers redone. Oh yes...can't wait. :o

spidermom
February 15th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Yes! I hated how my hair looked blunt cut. It looked like I had this itty bitty pinhead at the top, with a great, big, wide sweep of hair at the bottom, like a cape. Now my hair is very proportional to my head; I like it so much better. What I hate is that I agonized over this for more than a year. What a waste of emotional energy!

momschicklets
February 15th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Yay, welcome! :D

My layers go all the way from BSL+ to TBL+ and I couldn't be happier. I was waist when I first got my layered cut, and without it I wouldn't have been able to grow past waist as the hair was getting to be a handful!

This is interesting...I like knowing where everyone's layers start. Gives me some ideas for when I get mine redone. I guess these would be considered "long layers?" Lapushka?

MagicalMystery
February 15th, 2015, 04:54 PM
My shortest layers are above shoulder length right now.

Robot Ninja
February 15th, 2015, 05:21 PM
*raises hand* My hair is poufy-wavy so without them I have triangle-head. I used to cut them in by pulling sections around to the front and trimming, but I've been doing regular trims using the ponytail at the hairline method. I've only been taking off half an inch at a time because I am chicken. The shortest layers are around hip, but my ends are at classic so even the short layers technique won't give me really short layers.

So a question for people using the ponytail on the head who are not chicken: I would imagine the layers you get would be really blended, and you wouldn't have problems with little bits sticking out of braids and updos like you would with more defined layers. (Braid shred is a different matter, but I'm used to that.) Is this the case?

kaydana
February 15th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Count me in!

I'm another who uses the compact cut method (I put the ponytail just behind my hairline), and I have layers from APL+ to can-I-call-this-TBL?

I love my hair like this. I've been cutting it with this method for a good 5 years now, varying the ponytail placement as needed to get the results I wanted. I started at APL with the ponytail right on top of my head, and the ponytail's gradually moved closer to the front of my head as my hair's grown.

My hair looked terrible when it was all one length, and when I toyed briefly with growing out the layers I found the more I trimmed the less I liked my hair. I think layers and I are soulmates. ;)

Alexa
February 15th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Do you think layers work better for those with thicker hair? Or longer hair? Layers have never done much for me, but my hair has 1) always been shorter than shoulder length (since I was a child) and 2) my hair is very fine and very flat, so you usually can't even really tell I have them! I'm curious whether I would like them better when my hair is quite long and I can have loooong layers. My hair is very slightly wavy, so maybe I need the length for the layers to really distinguish themselves? Then again, it might just make my hemline look super thin... :shrug:

spidermom
February 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM
I think layers in thin hair don't really contribute much except maybe a bit of face-framing is nice. In bushy hair like mine, they create a nicer shape.

MagicalMystery
February 15th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I think layers in thin hair don't really contribute much except maybe a bit of face-framing is nice. In bushy hair like mine, they create a nicer shape.

Agreed. On some people I know with thin hair, layers made their hair look even thinner... whereas in thick hair, it can help reduce bottom bulk.

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 04:40 AM
This is interesting...I like knowing where everyone's layers start. Gives me some ideas for when I get mine redone. I guess these would be considered "long layers?" Lapushka?

No short ones. When you put the ponytail on your forehead and cut, you get what I got: short layers, at waist they were APL to waist. Now at TBL+, they go all the way to BSL+. You could also put the ponytail on the top of your head and that will give you long layers. I had that at one point but wouldn't be able to tell you how the layers go (from what point to what point).

If you have trouble cutting due to the length of your hair. Put a pony in at the root. Then put a second elastic as far as you can reach, then a third further down the line without messing up the integrity of the ponytail. Then cut.

So a question for people using the ponytail on the head who are not chicken: I would imagine the layers you get would be really blended, and you wouldn't have problems with little bits sticking out of braids and updos like you would with more defined layers. (Braid shred is a different matter, but I'm used to that.) Is this the case?

I don't braid, so can't tell you that. But at my length, nothing really pokes out of a LWB, but my hair is textured and it holds pretty well together.

I personally find the layers with the short-layer method more blended than with the other method. You do get a pretty pronounced V though, so keep that in mind. You could always trim that back with Feye's for a blunt or U-cut, but that *would* mean losing a significant chunk of length, like multiple inches!!!

JustPam
February 16th, 2015, 04:49 AM
I like layers, my hair is thinnish (2.5"), but the damaged lower half really frizzes out and looks awful with a blunt cut because the virgin top half lies so flat and straight. I think my hair is too thin for a full on compact cut, I've been sorta gradually phasing one in and quite like where it is just now, with my shortest layers just between CBL and APL and longest approaching waist and not too thinned out looking. Once I go back to trimming I think I'll try 2 side ponytails rather than one top one and see what that looks like, and once all my damage is grown out (roll on that day!) I'll re-evaluate :D

Robot Ninja
February 16th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I personally find the layers with the short-layer method more blended than with the other method. You do get a pretty pronounced V though, so keep that in mind. You could always trim that back with Feye's for a blunt or U-cut, but that *would* mean losing a significant chunk of length, like multiple inches!!!

I like the V. I've been trimming the ends with Feye's V-cut method, to keep them from getting too thin.

So, here is my layer math, tell me if it is wonky: From my back hairline to my front hairline is about 12". Therefore, cutting layers with the ponytail at the front hairline would result in layers that are at most 12" shorter than my ends correct?

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I like the V. I've been trimming the ends with Feye's V-cut method, to keep them from getting too thin.

So, here is my layer math, tell me if it is wonky: From my back hairline to my front hairline is about 12". Therefore, cutting layers with the ponytail at the front hairline would result in layers that are at most 12" shorter than my ends correct?

Probably, yes. It sounds sound. Don't know if it's true, though. My longest layer is TBL+, my shortest BSL+, seems like there's a lot more than 12" between those two.

Robot Ninja
February 16th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Probably, yes. It sounds sound. Don't know if it's true, though. My longest layer is TBL+, my shortest BSL+, seems like there's a lot more than 12" between those two.

I just grabbed a tape measure and got 14" between my tailbone and the bottom of my bra strap. So that's not really a lot more, and if you're shorter than me or your bra strap sits lower or you have a lower hairline or a bigger head it would be about right.

kdaniels8811
February 16th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Layers on my fine thin hair make it disappear. I think most of these folks have thick hair which needs thinning. I am envious! Though I do love the look of long thick layered hair. Layers make it flow.

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I just grabbed a tape measure and got 14" between my tailbone and the bottom of my bra strap. So that's not really a lot more, and if you're shorter than me or your bra strap sits lower or you have a lower hairline or a bigger head it would be about right.

Yep, that could be it. I can't measure right now, my hair's up for the day (and I'm not taking it down, sorry :o), maybe I'll measure later. But it seems superfluous, it sounds that 12" is about right, doesn't it? :)

hannabiss
February 16th, 2015, 10:10 AM
i like layers in my thin hair because it makes it look less lank. Not necessarily thicker. If i have no layers i get a bad case of triangle forhead and wide looking jaw. I like my bangs and face framing layers. When my hair gets longer i like the back to have a strong U / V shape kinda in the middle of the two. Im glad theres a place to love layers as it can (at times) seem very pressing that blunt cut is best for everybody no matter how you hair is textured, shape of face, or anything else that could make someone want layers.

kidari
February 16th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I love layers! Maybe a little too much, because I think I went a bit too crazy and cut in more than I need and shorter than I need. When I cut mine, I do a face framing layer where the shortest pieces used to fall to the end of my nose (what I considered my long bangs) but now I am growing them out to my chin. Then the hair from the ears up I do a sort of compact method. I do another cut doing the same method with the rest of my hair that is from the ears down. This gave me more of a 70s feathered look that worked better for me at shorter lengths. I don't cut my hair like this anymore and I'm growing it out, but I really can't commit to an actual one length blunt cut. I think I'll have more subtle longer layers as my hair grows longer. ;) I find washing it and conditioning it much easier, it dries faster, holds curls better, and can more easily be put up in buns. I tried to join the growing out layers thread but I realized it just wasn't the place for me.

kaydana
February 16th, 2015, 11:23 AM

It's wonky ;) You need to count the measurement from front hairline to back hairline twice.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume you're planning on cutting the ponytail to 1 foot long. The hair at the front hair line would be 1 foot, the hair at the back hairline would be 2 feet (the length of the ponytail plus the measurement from front to back hairline). Once you take your hair down, your hair will measure 3 feet from front hairline to the ends of the hair (measurement from front to back, plus the 2 feet of hair). Your shortest layers will only be 1 foot measured from the front hairline, so your shortest layers will appear to be 2 feet shorter than your longest layers.

I have a difference of 19" from shortest layer to longest layer. From where the hair at my back hairline stops looking like it's been chewed up by a blender, to where I place my ponytail is 9.5".

For me, the last loop of a cinnabun doesn't always go to plan, and the braid shred in the last few inches of a plait are nightmare inducing (the ends are mostly kept under control by the other hairs, but it gets to a point where the layers have thinned out too much and what's left can't keep the ends contained) but I don't like super tidy buns anyway (or so I tell myself) and I just leave long tassels on plaits, so they're tied off just above the point where the ends start rebelling.

StellaKatherine
February 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I love how layers look, but when I had them they just "lost" ... So I got even thinner ends and no much of layer effect showing up :D I had front layers before with blunt cut at the back. I liked that one, but as I do not wear my hair down anymore it is better to have as much hair as it is possible for my buns not to look super thin :)

Nettyx
February 16th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I like layers too. My hair is quite fine and straight but I find it helps to have a few face framing layers otherwise my face looks too round.

CurlyCap
February 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I'm not so much for layers, but I'm missing my face framing, which is a type of layering. I was originally going to hold out on them until I was maintaining.....but I can't quite decide if I like the "curtain" look on either side of my face. It's new to me. I used to pretty aggressive layers (shortest ~ 4") around my face.

Robot Ninja
February 16th, 2015, 12:36 PM
It's wonky ;) You need to count the measurement from front hairline to back hairline twice.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume you're planning on cutting the ponytail to 1 foot long. The hair at the front hair line would be 1 foot, the hair at the back hairline would be 2 feet (the length of the ponytail plus the measurement from front to back hairline). Once you take your hair down, your hair will measure 3 feet from front hairline to the ends of the hair (measurement from front to back, plus the 2 feet of hair). Your shortest layers will only be 1 foot measured from the front hairline, so your shortest layers will appear to be 2 feet shorter than your longest layers.

I have a difference of 19" from shortest layer to longest layer. From where the hair at my back hairline stops looking like it's been chewed up by a blender, to where I place my ponytail is 9.5".

Ah, that explains why people end up with APL layers on TBL hair.

"Looks like it's been chewed up by a blender" is a pretty apt description of my back hairline as well. So assuming I actually only have 10" or so between the longest hairs and the hairline, if I want my shortest layers at waist....*does math*....I'm gonna have to grow my hair longer. Thanks for sorting that out for me.

EmelieAnna
February 16th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I also have layers! Face framin once, to compliment my fine hair. On the contrary to others I think fine hair could really benefit aesthetically for layers. Personally there is nothing more appalling to me, when it comes to my hair of course, than a blunt cut. I need to have some kind of action going on to not be bored out of my mind. But them I compulsively want to change my hair. Growing it out sure is a pain. Thinking of putting in some more layers to stop the itch of cutting it all of.

spidermom
February 16th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Layered ends definitely pop out of braids, but I still braid as far down as I can before tying off. I pin braids up anyway; there's nothing more protective that distributes weight so well.

lapushka
February 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM
For my LWB, the length gets twisted (and nothing generally pokes out). That's because of the length, I think. Shortest layers are BSL+, so that doesn't really mess with the updo. I think once you get enough general length, the better it is with layers poking out.

teddygirl
February 18th, 2015, 09:39 PM
I love my layers! I had a blunt hair line that was past waist, but not quite hip, and I started to feel like one of the duggars. I needed some movement and style! I don't find that they pop out of styles too much, and I like the taper.

AlexDig
February 18th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I'm in! Another curly who gets triangle head without layers, right here.

I really tried the blunt cut because I wanted thicker ends but I just couldn't make it work. I cut them in at various lengths by messing around with the height of my pony tail as a cut. Then I grow out and play with it again. Very fun! :-)

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Which of the compact cut methods do you guys prefer? I've had them both, the one with the ponytail on top for longer layers, and the one with the ponytail on the forehead for shorter layers. ATM, I prefer the one for shorter layers. Haven't had a trim since November 2013, though, but it was cut in that way - the CC for short layers.

So, what method do you guys do and prefer?

leilani
February 28th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I have tried both and I like top of the head for longer length of the shortest pieces. For waist length hair or just a bit shorter.
But...if hair was past hip I might feel differently because the shortest pieces wouldn't be SO SO short with the top of forehead method.

Sunny_side_up
February 28th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Sometimes i think back to my choppy layers. Nice looking after wash day but back then i was overloading my hair with my newly discovered coconut oil, and once weighted down my hair looked too sleek, just my hair type and my eagerness to use coconut oil haha. So tempted to get layers again, but will definately make sure the scissors are sharp, (had a frazzled lookin cut with thinning sheers once)will see my trusted hairdresser soon...

Arctic
February 28th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I have subtle layering, and I like it at this length. Layers helped me a lot while growing out my bob. I assume I will grow them out when my hair gets longer, but we'll see... I don't know what kind of layers they are, I have cut them myself. I think they are called long layers, and they are not choppy. I have used a modified ponytail method mostly. I also have some shorter pieces in the front framing my face. Those I cut in last autumn. I am very happy with all they layers, they help my updos look less severe and help my wavy/bendy hemline look better.

SnottyDotty
February 28th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I adore having layers and a v shape in the back (achieved using a CreaClip.) Something about layers just really brings my hair to life. I can't see myself ever not having tonnes of layers in my hair.

Though I do want to grow out my blunt, chin-length layers as they are remnants of a badly executed mullet.

leilani
February 28th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Just freshened mine up by an inch and then on the hemline an inch or so :
http://i.imgur.com/WVecNJ6.jpg

kidari
February 28th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Just freshened mine up by an inch and then on the hemline an inch or so :
http://i.imgur.com/WVecNJ6.jpg

Love it! So pretty. Sigh, I wish I had your length.

leilani
February 28th, 2015, 01:19 PM
You can have it! I'm trying to slowly get rid of it this year to get rid of the henna.

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Very pretty, leilani!

Beborani
February 28th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I have long layers cut in by stylist over a year ago. Since I do curl by curl cut I think I am preserving them. Once my thickness travels down I will get them cut professionally once more--add more layers if possible. Compact cut is not for me (yet).

Salty Sloth
February 28th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I actually just trimmed in some more layers! I think I'll be evening it up once my hair is dry though, since my hair doesn't comb well when it's damp and I wanna make sure I didn't miss any hair loops.

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Even though I am happy with the compact cut way of doing layers, both techniques, I would *never* recommend them for people with BSL hair or shorter. The layers might turn out to be way too short in that case, esp. with the technique for shorter layers.

kidari
February 28th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I do a modified compact cut method using a Creaclip to make it more precise. I also use other techniques but I stopped using a razor long time ago (when I first started i even used a disposable razor for shaving- do not recommend! lol) This is what my layers look like at BSL. My shortest layers hit about chin length at the moment.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/kidari4/IMG_5832_zps597a469d.jpg

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Very pretty, kidari!

kidari
February 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Thank you lapushka! I failed the 2015 no trim year challenge though :couch: haha oh well. I am still growing out my length and layers... slowly, it'll happen. Oh yeah, that pic is of "styled" hair. My natural texture doesn't exactly look like that. That was a large roller set done on damp hair- no heat!

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Wow that's pretty for a roller set. I thought you had applied heat or even went to a salon (when clearly you hadn't).

Beborani
February 28th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Even though I am happy with the compact cut way of doing layers, both techniques, I would *never* recommend them for people with BSL hair or shorter. The layers might turn out to be way too short in that case, esp. with the technique for shorter layers.

I wouldn't recommend it for less than really thick hair with minimum taper either.

kidari
February 28th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Wow that's pretty for a roller set. I thought you had applied heat or even went to a salon (when clearly you hadn't).

Thank you! My *secret* is that I use techniques that the pros follow with heat styling and such but apply it to long hair friendly methods. I used to obsessively get my hair done at nice salons (but I haven't been to a salon in over 6 years I think). I do all my own cutting, styling, and coloring. I just remembered how the pros would do it when I used to get my hair done. I watched carefully, asked tons of questions, and attempted to replicate it myself at home obsessively. I religiously saw my stylist every 4 weeks- I was one of those clients that set an appointment before they left. However, the techniques that the pros use at the salon doesn't make sense to practice almost daily at home. Obviously, blow drying with a round brush, then going in with a hot iron, baking in tons of setting products, teasing, and setting with a finishing spray doesn't make sense to do all the time yourself. Basically, if you watch a professional walk you through how they do a blow out on themselves, you will catch certain key points such as the hair sectioning, the diameter of the brush used, the concept of letting the hair "set", over-directing certain sections for volume, how to position the brush/roller/iron for the desired effect... all of these things can be applied with heat-free methods and the end result can be better than heat styling.

KittyBird
March 1st, 2015, 02:42 AM
I love my layers, especially now that I'm mostly wearing it down. They make my hair so bouncy and fabulous! I don't even care that they explode out of my buns and that I need a zillion bobby pins to keep them under control. Layers are awesome! :p

I tried using the compact cut method for short layers, but it didn't work for me.. Something went wrong, but I can't figure out what. I ended up with bcl hair and layers at bsl/waist, which did not look good! :lol: I thought I would get waist length hair with layers. I trimmed the length up to waist/hip using Feye's method, which made everything look normal again. Using the compact cut to cut all my hair = doesn't work. Using compact cut on sections of hair to create layers = works great! That's what I did last time I wanted layers.

jackie_brown
March 1st, 2015, 04:52 AM
At the moment I have a slightly layered haircut.... my hair is at APL (curly) and the shortest layer is at about SL. I wear a layered fringe too.
My hair is thin (in density) so me&my hairstylist decided to do this light layered haicut to preserve the volume of my hair towards the ends and at the same time enhance the curly texture.
In the past i tried to mantain a blunt haircut because i wanted to see my ends full and "thick" but my roots were flat and almost with no volume :(

leilani
March 1st, 2015, 05:06 AM

Indeed. Although I'm going to find out this year how short the length can be and the compact cut still come out nice. I'm an inch above waist now. April 1 I plan to cut the ponytail again and the hemline again and another inch every month....so I may end up at BSL at some point this year depending on growth rate. I just want to remove hair badly and I'm not going to the salon once a month until I can't feys trim the hemline anymore.

But as for too short for the compact cut...... For example, check out what this woman did, used the ponytail on forehead method to cut bangs and layer the rest of her hair at the same time. In other words she cut off the entire ponytail!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145423/Is-DIY-hairdo-shortcut-disaster-As-women-skip-salon-save-money-brave-volunteer-tries-cutting-hair.html

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 08:27 AM
But as for too short for the compact cut...... For example, check out what this woman did, used the ponytail on forehead method to cut bangs and layer the rest of her hair at the same time. In other words she cut off the entire ponytail!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145423/Is-DIY-hairdo-shortcut-disaster-As-women-skip-salon-save-money-brave-volunteer-tries-cutting-hair.html

If you cut it that short, you end up with bangs - obviously.

leilani
March 1st, 2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah I wasn't surprised at the results, I was surprised she thought that the compact cut was a good idea for her!

Salty Sloth
March 1st, 2015, 03:37 PM
Since I did a fresh compact cut last night with the forehead method I thought I'd post my results! I only cut off a couple inches from the bottom of the ponytail. I pulled another hair tie down the hair until some layers started to fall out since I had some layers already. (pardon the sweat!)
http://i.imgur.com/NzKxHFR.jpg?2

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 04:02 PM
Very nice, Salty Sloth! I went easy in the beginning as well, and only had about an inch cut off. At that point the sharp V that it gives won't be apparent yet. Only will when you cut off about 5 to 6 inches - but that's a lot to cut off at first.

Salty Sloth
March 1st, 2015, 04:08 PM
Yeah I didn't wanna go too hard into it since I figure if I missed any splits I can check it again while it's dry and trim accordingly I'm also barely past waist, imo, and I didn't wanna lose too much length at once.

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM
Normally cutting off 5 to 6 inches won't even touch your length, it will only "layer" the hair that's there. So with 2 inches, you should be fine! :)

arelrios
April 17th, 2015, 12:47 PM
So, I gave in and cut a couple of inches with the ponytail on top.... the difference as lapushka mentioned is not that obvious... I will revisit the possibility of cutting a bit more soon ;)

I will try to take pictures tonight.

lapushka
April 17th, 2015, 01:55 PM
So, I gave in and cut a couple of inches with the ponytail on top.... the difference as lapushka mentioned is not that obvious... I will revisit the possibility of cutting a bit more soon ;)

I will try to take pictures tonight.

Don't go butt-nut crazy with the cutting, though! If it's still subtle, be glad!

arelrios
April 17th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Don't go butt-nut crazy with the cutting, though! If it's still subtle, be glad!

Yup. that's the plan ;)

arelrios
August 7th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Well, I took the plunge and just cut my hair... I put the ponytail on my forehead and cut a few inches... I would say 4+... I'm not sure how it looks yet because I just washed it and I will probably bun it later tonight ... I hope it's even haha

It only took me 4 months to decide lol

Crystawni
August 7th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I took the plunge and snipped a few inches off the ponytail on top of my head after successfully showing my daughter the compact cut method for her hair last weekend. This pic shows my self-trimming progress this year: March (before trims), April (1" trim and bottom layers redone after a year of no trimming), July (shows face framing/edging added for softness) and August (compact cut layers) 2015.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18320&d=1438755704

I've actually lost some curl as my underlying whites are a bit straighter, whereas my BSL 2b iii daughter gained heaps of ringlets and curls. Lucky her! Although I don't mind the fire and ice feathering, and especially love the lightness as the blanket effect was a little much for the monsoonal tropical heat here. I've also had to adjust my bunning (escapees everywhere, and the buns are a lot smaller), and braids definitely have taper. And my poor lwb pony looks a little meagre, too. But less weight? Yay! And I've continued to gain length (2") since the April trim. :)

lapushka
August 8th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I *love* it. It's a much more rounded shape. :)

turtlelover
August 8th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I'm aiming for something like the 2nd picture from the left, at least in theory. I like the thick ends but the more rounded shape.

lapushka
August 8th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Then I wouldn't use compact cuts, turtlelover, they *really* layer and round or V shape your hair. Both methods do!

turtlelover
August 8th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Last time my hair was longer, I used a combination of compact cutting on my forehead and Feye's hair trimming instruction in the U shape. I felt like Feye only made it too blunt, but too much compact cutting made the ends look thin, which is a look I don't like. I'll probably diminish the layering as my hair gets longer. For now, I need the layers at APL, or my hair is pyramid shaped. On the other hand, the layers drive me NUTS when braiding!

lapushka
August 8th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, no braiding here, because it does thin the braid out! But I needed to layer, the length was getting too heavy for me. I might switch up the CC method, one variation for the other. My layers are now the shortest (ponytail on forehead) and I'm going for the longer (ponytail on the top of the head).

arelrios
August 8th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Need to inspect my hair more carefully, but I noticed that my shorter layers and longer ones have a big difference... More like I only have two lengths; so I will try to see if with ponytail on top of the head I get other lengths...

Will report back ;)

Eastbound&Down
August 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I just had layers put in I think a little over a month ago and I'm so glad I did! I lost a little length but it has so much movement now and I don't look like I'm wearingredients a mop on my head. They are longer layers and some face framing (my face is very round, it needs them) I have pieces that fall out of my bun now but I can fix it with spin pins or a small claw clip. I can't wait to get some length, I think they will look good with about a foot more haha

lapushka
August 8th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Need to inspect my hair more carefully, but I noticed that my shorter layers and longer ones have a big difference... More like I only have two lengths; so I will try to see if with ponytail on top of the head I get other lengths...

Will report back ;)

If your hair is too long, just elastic band it to where you can reach, then elastic band the rest of the ponytail while keeping its integrity. I doubt at your length you'll have issues, :) but I just wanted to put this tip down here, so others can see.

sourgrl
August 8th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I appreciate this thread! My last cut removed all my layers and gave me a nice V hemline. I love the hemline but the lack of layers have had a negative impact on my waves and have made my buns rather pokey (when it's not falling out). I'm planning to have some face framing layers cut in next time I get to the salon. Pics when it happens :)

arelrios
August 8th, 2015, 05:28 PM
If your hair is too long, just elastic band it to where you can reach, then elastic band the rest of the ponytail while keeping its integrity. I doubt at your length you'll have issues, :) but I just wanted to put this tip down here, so others can see.

Thanks! I cut a bit more with the ponytail on top and I could see some uneven hairs... So I snipped those off :)

Crystawni
August 8th, 2015, 09:08 PM
I *love* it. It's a much more rounded shape. :)

Ta muchly, lapushka! :flowers:

I'm aiming for something like the 2nd picture from the left, at least in theory. I like the thick ends but the more rounded shape.

I achieve that (same as the left-hand pic, too) by tipping my head over, smoothing/combing the damp hair together, and trimming not much off the ends by sight through a fingerclamp grip. Then I finish up with my head back up for a Feye's-like trim for the shape (straight across for back, with some U-shaping). I've been cutting hair non professionally, including mine, since I was 15 (in the 80s when layers were big), so it's a similar system but with a bit more freehand zhooshing stuff.

kurlywurlygurl
August 8th, 2015, 09:39 PM
I would like to first say, you all have such beautiful hair of all different kinds and colors. :)

I had about four deva cuts and I loved them the first few times. In case you are not familiar with them, deva cuts are a hair cut for wavy,curly, and kinky "textured" hair. It's a method that's done on dry hair and really helps shape hair to make the individual's hair come together nicely. I started hating how thinned my ends were looking as I wanted to go longer. I cut my hair to my shoulders and then got a deva cut one more time as it started growing out. The lady who does my hair is over an hour away and is pretty expensive. I also leave with whatever hair because I have to style it and mess with it to see how I truly feel about it the days that follow. Long story short (pun intended lol), I'm back to cutting my own hair myself for the most part. I'm on a journey for thicker ends. My ends were really thin from a drastic "v" cut before I got my first deva cut. The deva really fixed that scraggly ends and I loved it. The deva cuts that followed the first two began to feel like they were putting lots of layers in my hair and made it start to thin out again. I really did not like feeling so mullet like.

I love this thread Lapushka! I actually had my mom snip my ends a little over a month and a half ago. Then I went in and cut the remaining shorter "layers" from my last deva cut curl by curl. I'm not sure if I want to try to go completely blunt/one length or not and whether I should cut in face framing layers in the future. I might try to look for another stylist but the risk is really nerve racking too. I'm not sure how to post a picture in a thread like this but I made a picture from yesterday my profile picture.

Gamma Vector
August 9th, 2015, 12:39 AM
I just cut choppy layers into my hair. I'm not using the compact cut method. I'm using what my hairdresser grandmother referred to as the "pyramid" method. That is to say, starting that the bottom, and cutting your layers in one at a time towards the top. After that, I used Feye's method to get a v-shaped hemline. I am LOVING the bounce and movement of my new hair. It's not the long and glossy princess look that most people around her prefer, but I really like it. I'm enjoying wearing my hair down for the first time in about five years. Actually enjoying it, not just wearing it down because it's a special occasion and someone asked me to.

Of course, my layers came directly on the heels of a 13in hack job I posted about before. So my hair is kinda freaking out all over the place. BUT I STILL LOVE MY LAYERS. I can hardly imagine how much I'm going to love them once my hair calms down!

Crystawni
August 9th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I took the plunge and snipped a few inches off the ponytail on top of my head after successfully showing my daughter the compact cut method for her hair last weekend. This pic shows my self-trimming progress this year: March (before trims), April (1" trim and bottom layers redone after a year of no trimming), July (shows face framing/edging added for softness) and August (compact cut layers) 2015.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18320&d=1438755704

I've actually lost some curl as my underlying whites are a bit straighter, whereas my BSL 2b iii daughter gained heaps of ringlets and curls. Lucky her! Although I don't mind the fire and ice feathering, and especially love the lightness as the blanket effect was a little much for the monsoonal tropical heat here. I've also had to adjust my bunning (escapees everywhere, and the buns are a lot smaller), and braids definitely have taper. And my poor lwb pony looks a little meagre, too. But less weight? Yay! And I've continued to gain length (2") since the April trim. :)

Adding on to this, here's a best-I-could-bang-together collage of daughter's chopfest, with before + pony in large flexi on top (I wear a small for ponytails), and after below. As mentioned, she did the compact cut herself, and then I asymm 'd her choppy fringe/bangs back in afterwards (gaming: Yuna, FFX style). She had wanted me to chop the lot as she was getting annoyed by her length, but is happily bouncing the curlies now.

https://i.imgur.com/caMt3C5.jpg?1

ETA: The hemline ^in the bottom left pic^ is gappy on the right due to a temporary case of bagstrapitis.

*pics used with daughter's permission

cadencesday
August 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I never really go and get my hair cut anymore but if you've wavy hair such as myself, long layers give hair life. I have extremely thin hair but a ton of it and I got a 180 cut. I like it, Crystawni, your daughter's hair is very similar to mine. I love the V cut if you wear your hair down a lot but wear I work, I have to keep my hair up so currently I have my hair in long layers start at shoulders so I can wear braids or a bun. I don't like thin buns so I only get layers once in a great while.

arelrios
August 9th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I'm getting used to my new 'layers'... And if I'm not mistaken my 'waves' are more pronounced �� which is super awesome :cheese:

luluj
September 18th, 2015, 08:50 AM
I also am one who embraces her long layers, only wish I had the confidence to cut them in myself. The do it yourself photos in this thread are amazing! The hairstylist I go to does a wonderful job of blending them in for me, I hope she never disappears, as some stylists tend to do. Face-framing layers are a great way to soften the jawline and they can help soften an updo. I believe that they add a style to the hair, giving it some personality, especially if you like to wear your hair down, which I do quite often.

luluj
September 18th, 2015, 08:56 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18320&d=1438755704

You did an amazing job of adding your own layers, Crystawni! I am one who likes those escapees, they add such femininity to buns and other up-dos.

DollyDagger
September 18th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Great job Crystawni..and your daughter as well. Wow the white overload is so incredibly subdued when your hair is down. He's just at rest waiting quitely for his chance to spring into action..lol

Olavi
September 18th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I regret getting blunt cut in the summer :doh: I had nice layers, almost fairytale ends, and I cut it on a whim... I re-cut my hair using compact cut method, and my hair looks more lively now - and shorter. I had longest strands at BSL and now it's back to shoulders. I should have someone hitting me every time I think about wandering off of this path. I should never forget layers or fairytale is what looks best in my hair.

luluj
September 18th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I regret getting blunt cut in the summer :doh: I had nice layers, almost fairytale ends, and I cut it on a whim... I re-cut my hair using compact cut method, and my hair looks more lively now - and shorter. I had longest strands at BSL and now it's back to shoulders. I should have someone hitting me every time I think about wandering off of this path. I should never forget layers or fairytale is what looks best in my hair.

Hi, Olavi. I have tried blunt ends only once during my long hair growing days, and like you, I regretted cutting the layers out. The upside is that you now know what works for your hair type.:wink: Should you be tempted again just come here for a :patrol::p Not really, but do come and have another look at all the beautiful layered heads of hair here, this will keep you from wandering.... :flower:

lapushka
September 18th, 2015, 03:58 PM

OMG that sounds like you lost a lot of hair! :( I'm so sorry. Well, you live, you learn. At least now you know what works best for your hair. Now stick to it. ;) This, coming from me, who took 2 cut backs to chin to get to classic in 10 years' time. :lol:

leilani
September 19th, 2015, 02:04 AM
I'm about to go through a major postpartum shed so my hair will get even more layered than it already is! Which is OK, at chin, it's way way way too poofy looking and could use a shed.

kaydana
September 19th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I redid my layers last night and my hair feels so much better for it. I swear my longest layers grow much slower than the rest of my hair, because I cut off about three inches and it doesn't seem to be any shorter (it was already layered using this method, so it should be shorter).

Olavi
September 19th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Hi, Olavi. I have tried blunt ends only once during my long hair growing days, and like you, I regretted cutting the layers out. The upside is that you now know what works for your hair type.:wink: Should you be tempted again just come here for a :patrol::p Not really, but do come and have another look at all the beautiful layered heads of hair here, this will keep you from wandering.... :flower:

I promise, I'll come here straight away if I ever get tempted again ;) I might have to cut again in few months, I didn't get exactly the kind of layers I want (I want them in V-shape) because I didn't want to lose that much length at once, but after that I'll stick to S&D.

OMG that sounds like you lost a lot of hair! :( I'm so sorry. Well, you live, you learn. At least now you know what works best for your hair. Now stick to it. ;) This, coming from me, who took 2 cut backs to chin to get to classic in 10 years' time. :lol:

Yep, it was lots of length lost. I can't do most updos I used to anymore, my hair can't hold any of my hairsticks :( But as you said, I live, I learn and now I know straight hem just looks boring and sad on me.

And I cut my hair in the forest and left the cut hair there, so maybe some little animals got material for their nests :)

Crystawni
September 19th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Uuuuuhm, this is a little delayed, but thank you, cadencesday. :) Your hair sounds wonderful!

You did an amazing job of adding your own layers, Crystawni! I am one who likes those escapees, they add such femininity to buns and other up-dos.

Thank you, lulu! I've been embracing them a bit more, but when I have to take a hairtoy pic, they tend to hide the toy, so it's often a few redos until the toy is seen. Then I let whatever flops, flop. :D

Great job Crystawni..and your daughter as well. Wow the white overload is so incredibly subdued when your hair is down. He's just at rest waiting quitely for his chance to spring into action..lol

Thank you, DD! And yup, the whites are fairly hidden (even though I'm probs 50/50 now), which is why the ends are layered to expose His Whiteship a bit for a bit of fun and interest.

My wurlies came back, so I haz a happy as they give the layers even more oomph. This pic was taken after a wash (CWC) earlier this month, with no product or anything. The camera was a bit low, so my hair looks a little shorter than it is... pfft.

https://i.imgur.com/PwXUT4x.jpg

lapushka
September 19th, 2015, 04:47 AM
I'm so glad this thread resurfaces once in a while. Just wanted to say that. I love layers. Without them, I don't think I would have gotten to where I am now. I would've stopped at waist, I think.

kaydana
September 19th, 2015, 05:35 AM
I'm so glad this thread resurfaces once in a while. Just wanted to say that. I love layers. Without them, I don't think I would have gotten to where I am now. I would've stopped at waist, I think.

I'm not sure I'd even have gotten that far. I've had layers of some sort since I was about 12 and I've loved them every step of the way. I don't think I'd feel like me without them. I've toyed with growing them out a couple of times, but I started hating the way my hair looked long before it got anywhere close to a blunt hem.

DweamGoiL
September 19th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I love my layers, too. I have been growing out to a soft U so I can have the best of both worlds (unfrayed updos and the movement of layers). I don't like a blunt hemline on myself although I had one for years. The weight of my hair makes it look like I am wearing a triangular cape. It induced headaches and took forever to dry...just a bit too much. I maintain between WL and HL and I can easily wear it down at that length with the layers.

lapushka
September 19th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I love my layers, too. I have been growing out to a soft U so I can have the best of both worlds (unfrayed updos and the movement of layers). I don't like a blunt hemline on myself although I had one for years. The weight of my hair makes it look like I am wearing a triangular cape. It induced headaches and took forever to dry...just a bit too much. I maintain between WL and HL and I can easily wear it down at that length with the layers.

It looks gorgeous in your sig pic!

luluj
September 19th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you, lulu! I've been embracing them a bit more, but when I have to take a hairtoy pic, they tend to hide the toy, so it's often a few redos until the toy is seen. Then I let whatever flops, flop. :D

My wurlies came back, so I haz a happy as they give the layers even more oomph. This pic was taken after a wash (CWC) earlier this month, with no product or anything. The camera was a bit low, so my hair looks a little shorter than it is... pfft.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/sep15_zpsmhigh4jm.jpg

You are welcome, Crystawni. Glad to hear that you have your wurlies back, they really do add more oomph, this is what I love about layers. Gorgeous photo!:crush:

DweamGoiL
September 19th, 2015, 09:32 AM
It looks gorgeous in your sig pic!

Thanks so much, lapushka! I am a fan of your thick wurly mane as well :agree:

shakenmilk
September 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I didn't know about this thread till now and am happy to see it exists! I had learned about the compact cut through reading the forum and tried it out a few weeks ago and love the results.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/659/20281426733_d9eb922e49_n.jpg https://farm1.staticflickr.com/612/20279846374_929a74f4e6_n.jpg

I hadn't taken a photo immediately before cutting, but here is it how it looked a couple of weeks before:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/317/20069060251_3979ef498d_n.jpg
(Haha, I didn't even try to tidy it, but the story about this is that a stranger had made it a point to come up to me and compliment my hair that day, which amused me because I had gone out without even checking what it looks like. So later I took the photo without first fussing with it.) (I had grown my hair long out of laziness and had planned to cut it soon because it was getting annoying, but now I'm more into having fun with it being long and keeping it that way.)

Bonus: I also photographed the bit of ponytail I had cut off, and I think the way the blunt ends reflect light is kind of cool!
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5626/20876160046_824cac54cd.jpg

leilani
September 19th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Shakenmilk your hair looks great!!!!

shakenmilk
September 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Aw, thank you, leilani! :flower:

lapushka
September 19th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks so much, lapushka! I am a fan of your thick wurly mane as well :agree:

Thank you, that is very nice of you to say! :D

lapushka
September 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I didn't know about this thread till now and am happy to see it exists! I had learned about the compact cut through reading the forum and tried it out a few weeks ago and love the results.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/659/20281426733_d9eb922e49_n.jpg https://farm1.staticflickr.com/612/20279846374_929a74f4e6_n.jpg

I hadn't taken a photo immediately before cutting, but here is it how it looked a couple of weeks before:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/317/20069060251_3979ef498d_n.jpg
(Haha, I didn't even try to tidy it, but the story about this is that a stranger had made it a point to come up to me and compliment my hair that day, which amused me because I had gone out without even checking what it looks like. So later I took the photo without first fussing with it.) (I had grown my hair long out of laziness and had planned to cut it soon because it was getting annoying, but now I'm more into having fun with it being long and keeping it that way.)

Bonus: I also photographed the bit of ponytail I had cut off, and I think the way the blunt ends reflect light is kind of cool!
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5626/20876160046_824cac54cd.jpg

Yes, I love your results. It's such a nice shape on you!

Lazy Loop
September 19th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to find this thread!

For me, growing from a chop, it was my ultimate goal to get my hair all the same length. My hair isn't very long, but down around my shoulders I had a blunt hem, no bangs at all. I had to really fight "triangle head" for most of that growth.

But, just past shoulders, my blunt hem did NOTHING for my look! So, have good progress vs. have a little bit cuter hair-look? I waited as long as I could, and when just barely long enough to cut what I call "long layers", I cut them (wish it had been 5-6 inches longer first, no patience). It took some fine tuning, and I lost a teeny bit more hair than I wanted, but I'm content.

Fairytale hemlines are my fave! We'll see how this grows out in 2016 (no cut). I'm happier with the layers, and I can get a more shapely style now. Blunt hem, just below shoulder just didn't have any form, plus wasn't long enough to be LONG. It was not my goal to have layers, tho. :shrug:

shakenmilk
September 20th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Yes, I love your results. It's such a nice shape on you!
Thank you! I've always liked a v-shaped hemline--haven't had one this deep till now though. I guess with shorter hair a deep v would be difficult to put up, but at this length it hasn't been a problem!

Fairytale hemlines are my fave! We'll see how this grows out in 2016 (no cut). I'm happier with the layers, and I can get a more shapely style now. Blunt hem, just below shoulder just didn't have any form, plus wasn't long enough to be LONG. It was not my goal to have layers, tho. :shrug:

Your hair in your signature looks fabulous! I can just picture it growing out to look like your avatar! :)

lapushka
September 20th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Thank you! I've always liked a v-shaped hemline--haven't had one this deep till now though. I guess with shorter hair a deep v would be difficult to put up, but at this length it hasn't been a problem!

Isn't a problem for me either, and I have this cut at classic length. I am going to be switching back to the other layering method at the end of the year, to increase the bulk a bit and give me a change in layering.

Arctic
September 20th, 2015, 09:29 AM
LOL, I am at both threads - this one and at the complaining about layers thread :D (Though I try not to complain, but more like just find growing out partners.)

I used to always have blunt cuts (excluded pixies and growing them out), but in the recent years I have learned to like layers. And I intend to keep some. Right now I am, however, growing out my layers partially. Currently I have layers at the back, near hemline (depending on the source, I have seen these being called both short and long layers; according to some sites the short layer term refers to short distance between layers, and long layers refer to long distance between layers, so in this sense these back of the head layers of mine are short. But I have seen most people refer this type with long layers.) I also have face framing layers, and some layers at the top of my head.

I am planning to grow part of the face framing and all of the ones from the top of my head out to thicken up my sides. I also plan to cut a V-shaped hemline after I gain some more length.

I do like layers, but I also with the ones I want to grow out would do so quickly :D

Robi-Bird
September 20th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I love my layers. My shortest are shoulder length and the longest are a bit below bsl. When it gets longer I might maintain to grow the shorter layers out a bit. They get sassy sometimes and need to be contain. I really don't think I'd still be growing my hair long without layers. The weight isn't bothering me and I don't have triangle head when I wear my hair down.

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 05:27 AM
My mom took off 12 cm (eyeballed it, then measured). Quite a bit! I can just about manage a LWB at about waist (I'm slightly over waist). Again, with the compact cut method for layering (ponytail on the forehead).

Rowdy
November 26th, 2016, 10:01 AM
My mom took off 12 cm (eyeballed it, then measured). Quite a bit! I can just about manage a LWB at about waist (I'm slightly over waist). Again, with the compact cut method for layering (ponytail on the forehead).

About how short is your shortest layer now? For a while I've been thinking I want to do a compact-like cut where the longest bits are a bit past waist and the shortest are around CBL to APL. Im just at waist stretched so I think I need more length before I cut the layers...

LaísB
November 26th, 2016, 10:14 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with my layers, mostly on the love side. Without them I look like a triangle, they are a bit short at the moment, with the shortest one being a inch or two past my chin, which makes it hard to braid and all that but when my hair grows I will keep the layers, and my plan is to when I reach my goal of MBL I will have layers that start at APL or even at BSL to manage the volume and give it a bit of life.

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 10:28 AM
About how short is your shortest layer now? For a while I've been thinking I want to do a compact-like cut where the longest bits are a bit past waist and the shortest are around CBL to APL. Im just at waist stretched so I think I need more length before I cut the layers...

I'll tell you tomorrow, if I remember, but I think around APL'ish. I can't say. I bunned it right back up after it was cut. :)

RebekahE
November 26th, 2016, 01:54 PM
My mother is always complaining about how the hair stylist never gives her the nice softly feathered face framing layers she wants. She says that she always gets these "chopped" layers, she wants them blended. Her hair is between sl and cbl. Would this method work to give her the layers she wants? Or is her hair to short?

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 02:59 PM
My mother is always complaining about how the hair stylist never gives her the nice softly feathered face framing layers she wants. She says that she always gets these "chopped" layers, she wants them blended. Her hair is between sl and cbl. Would this method work to give her the layers she wants? Or is her hair to short?

Would *not* recommend this for hair shorter than BSL, truly or you'll have really short-short layers and it's not going to look cute! SL & CBL is too short for this method, she'll give herself bangs!

Laccaria
November 26th, 2016, 03:45 PM

My hair is currently cut by placing a ponytail right on my hair line, pulling the hair straight down in front of my face and cutting straight across. The longest bits are just about hip depending on how curly my hair is in the mood to be, definitely hip stretched. The shortest peices fall about cbl most days. You might be able to call them apl stretched.

It also seems pertinent to mention that I am 5'9 and relatively long waisted. If you are shorter or taller you might have slightly different results. Plus, you may have more shrinkage since your hair is curlier than mine.

If you want less dramatic layers, you can place your ponytail in different spots to get different effects, though. http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/ and https://www.google.com/amp/s/diaryofamadcrafter.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/how-to-cut-layers/amp/ were both helpful to me in figuring out how the placement of the ponytail changes the look of the layers. I've tried several variations, and I like them all for different reasons.

Laccaria
November 26th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Thishttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145423/Is-DIY-hairdo-shortcut-disaster-As-women-skip-salon-save-money-brave-volunteer-tries-cutting-hair.html is what the hair cut looks like at sl to cbl length-ish. Very feathery vintage rocker chic. Not bad if that's what you're going for.

It sounds like maybe your mother might be looking for something more like thishttps://youtu.be/gVM6w_Ov2M4, though. I actually use this technique on the face framing bits I like to leave out of my buns to soften my updos. I section off a thinner section of hair than he does in the video. I also have bangs I cut the same way, just even shorter than the face framing peices.

Obsidian
November 27th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Thishttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145423/Is-DIY-hairdo-shortcut-disaster-As-women-skip-salon-save-money-brave-volunteer-tries-cutting-hair.html is what the hair cut looks like at sl to cbl length-ish. Very feathery vintage rocker chic. Not bad if that's what you're going for.

Thank you for this link. I've tried blunting my hemline as it's growing out but all it did was look heavy and shapeless. I went ahead and cut in some layers, only took off 2" and it looks so much better. My layers start around cheek and my length is about collar bone.
The overall look is so much lighter with more movement. Learned my lesson, my thick voluptuous hair needs layers.

Flipgirl24
November 27th, 2016, 08:33 PM

It isn't too short; I would suggest your mom get a better hairdresser! My hair was BSL and my hairdresser did amazing face framing layers. My face is round so my layers started at the chin. Even when I didn't style it, the layers fell nicely. Of course it depends on what your mom's hair is like but the cut makes a huge difference. A hairdresser who thinks layers are supposed to look like a staircase is not one you want!

Olavi
November 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
My last post was september last year, and I'm happy to say I haven't cut my hair blunt again since. Actually, I haven't done major cut at all, and have instead gained all the length I lost and bit more. I'm thinking I might do another compact cut in next year to get that deep V, but I'm not sure, because the sides of my hair would probably get too short and they already barely stay in updos.

Rowdy
November 28th, 2016, 10:36 PM
My hair is currently cut by placing a ponytail right on my hair line, pulling the hair straight down in front of my face and cutting straight across. The longest bits are just about hip depending on how curly my hair is in the mood to be, definitely hip stretched. The shortest peices fall about cbl most days. You might be able to call them apl stretched.

It also seems pertinent to mention that I am 5'9 and relatively long waisted. If you are shorter or taller you might have slightly different results. Plus, you may have more shrinkage since your hair is curlier than mine.

If you want less dramatic layers, you can place your ponytail in different spots to get different effects, though. http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/ and https://www.google.com/amp/s/diaryofamadcrafter.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/how-to-cut-layers/amp/ were both helpful to me in figuring out how the placement of the ponytail changes the look of the layers. I've tried several variations, and I like them all for different reasons.

Thank you for the links and the layer length info! That one pic of the back of her hair is what I'm aiming for. It looks like I need about 4-6 more inches for mine to turn out like that as I want the 'point' of the V to be 4-6 inches below my waist.

lithostoic
November 29th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Debating whether or not I want to re layer my hair once it's all the same length. My shortest layer is at shoulder so it'll be a while ...

LongCurlyTress
November 29th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Please can I join this group? Does serious breakage with frizz, a hair brushing rampage with gel sticking my hair together like glue (BounceCurls) , and ultimately the BBB brush roughly and aggressively through my hair count? Ugh.... trimmed off 4 inches to deal with it and then watched Rachel in Friends... and wanted her face framing layers.. so I cut my face framing layers too.

So, I am going to join this thread to learn to rejoice with my layers since I already have them. Looking forward to reading how everyone styles them for some great ideas. Hello everyone!! Just going to embrace what I have now!! Thanks!! ;)

This is how I cut my face framing layers...;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaBz1TGCGw&t=3s

luluj
October 2nd, 2020, 08:26 AM
Reviving this thread because I love layers, even though I did trim back my longest layer a while back. I still have layers throughout the rest of my hair, though.

I'd enjoy seeing some photos of layered hair!

My layers...

https://i.imgur.com/hbZZniN.jpg (https://lunapic.com)

lapushka
October 2nd, 2020, 11:12 AM
Mine are in my signature. ;)

luluj
October 4th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Mine are in my signature. ;)

I like how your layers come to a V-shape, lapushka. It's been a while since I trimmed my longest layer to make it less of a "V" and more blunt. My hair is very fine and it just looks better with a blunt hemline. I still have plenty of layers to enjoy, though. :)

lapushka
October 4th, 2020, 08:46 AM
I like how your layers come to a V-shape, lapushka. It's been a while since I trimmed my longest layer to make it less of a "V" and more blunt. My hair is very fine and it just looks better with a blunt hemline. I still have plenty of layers to enjoy, though. :)

Thank you! :) I used to "compact cut" (layer cut / unicorn cut) 2 times a year, and then in between use Feye's so my V dulled out over the course of the year. I much prefer just doing a compact cut at the start of every season. Seems to keep me happy. :D

luluj
August 5th, 2021, 09:04 AM
I had my layers refreshed in July, just in time for the No Trim Challenge. I am so happy with them! :heartbeat

Bri-Chan
August 5th, 2021, 09:37 AM
I'd like to cut some layers into my hair soo bad. Triangle shape here. I'm afraid to go to an hairdresser, tho .... I mean, I think it would be better but I'm sacred at the same time.
I'd also consider to do by myself, but I don't feel sure about any technique...

lapushka
August 5th, 2021, 01:04 PM
I'd like to cut some layers into my hair soo bad. Triangle shape here. I'm afraid to go to an hairdresser, tho .... I mean, I think it would be better but I'm sacred at the same time.

If you want "starter layers", try pulling all the hair up in a top of the head pony. Band it to where you can reach, and follow along that tension to snip a tiny bit off, just a tiny bit, like say 1 to 2 cm, not even an inch. See what that does.

Would not recommend the unicorn method (ponytail on the forehead) for beginner's layers.

luluj
August 5th, 2021, 01:40 PM

I know of this triangle shape that you speak of, been there done that. Do it yourself layers, in my very humble opinion, is not the way to proceed. shudder: I am speaking of my own personal preference, it is not something I would recommend.

Find a stylist, at least for the first go around and perhaps have them add very minimal, softly blended layers, with some longer face framing pieces.

Bri-Chan
August 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM
If you want "starter layers", try pulling all the hair up in a top of the head pony. Band it to where you can reach, and follow along that tension to snip a tiny bit off, just a tiny bit, like say 1 to 2 cm, not even an inch. See what that does.

Would not recommend the unicorn method (ponytail on the forehead) for beginner's layers.
Yes, I don't want something strong. I don't even know how would layers result in my hairtype! Thank you for the cut tip, seems very easy.

I know of this triangle shape that you speak of, been there done that. Do it yourself layers, in my very humble opinion, is not the way to proceed. shudder: I am speaking of my own personal preference, it is not something I would recommend.

Find a stylist, at least for the first go around and perhaps have them add very minimal, softly blended layers, with some longer face framing pieces.

I'd very like to have a cut professionally done! I'm afraid because hairdressers have always troubles in detangling my hair and I fear breakage. They simply don't know how to detangle my hair. And my hair now is even more difficult and delicate than the last time I went to an hairdresser.

lapushka
August 6th, 2021, 01:28 AM

I have had tons of stylists mess up my layers. When I asked for subtle (so long to a couple cms shorter than the rest) their interpretation of it was layered to the jawbone. So: no. Your experience with stylist may be totally different, but I think a lot of people on here have bad experiences.

Diana Prince
August 6th, 2021, 03:19 AM

I cut my own layers for the first time a week ago. It was very easy to do it myself, though it might look intimidating. I find cutting a blunt hemline is way more complicated (to do it in my own hair) than layers actually :). I followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuCVniVKbQw&t=1190s

I didn't do what he does in the beginning (he cut sort of a V shape hemline). I let my hemline straight because I have thin hair strands and still wanted fullness at the ends. I also didn't cut the hair from the ears down (sorry for my bad way of explaining, I'm very sleepy right now). What I mean is, when sectioning the hair, I only cut the sections that I formed from the ear up. I didn't cut the sections from the ear down so my ends wouldn't fairytale (it would look like my hair is thinning if I did that).

I know my hair is so much shorter than yours (I just hit APL) so it will certainly be more difficult. The most difficult part of this was that some hair always got into my eyes so I had to be very careful with that, to not cut something accidentally.

If you're not sure of doing it yourself, then do go to a hairstylist. Unfortunately I had very bad experiences with the ones from my area and didn't want anymore chopped haircuts, so I took the matter in my own hands. I don't know how to upload photos here, but my layers look professionally (and correctly) cut so I recommend this video for whoever wants to try :).

luluj
August 6th, 2021, 05:05 AM
I'd very like to have a cut professionally done! I'm afraid because hairdressers have always troubles in detangling my hair and I fear breakage. They simply don't know how to detangle my hair. And my hair now is even more difficult and delicate than the last time I went to an hairdresser.

I completely understand, Bri-Chan. :blossom:

luluj
August 6th, 2021, 05:08 AM
I have had tons of stylists mess up my layers. When I asked for subtle (so long to a couple cms shorter than the rest) their interpretation of it was layered to the jawbone. So: no. Your experience with stylist may be totally different, but I think a lot of people on here have bad experiences.

I have had the opposite experience, lapushka. Not once has a hairstylist messed up my layers. So, the beauty of TLHC is that we agree to disagree. :love:

luluj
August 6th, 2021, 05:11 AM
I cut my own layers for the first time a week ago. It was very easy to do it myself, though it might look intimidating. I find cutting a blunt hemline is way more complicated (to do it in my own hair) than layers actually :). I followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuCVniVKbQw&t=1190s

I didn't do what he does in the beginning (he cut sort of a V shape hemline). I let my hemline straight because I have thin hair strands and still wanted fullness at the ends. I also didn't cut the hair from the ears down (sorry for my bad way of explaining, I'm very sleepy right now). What I mean is, when sectioning the hair, I only cut the sections that I formed from the ear up. I didn't cut the sections from the ear down so my ends wouldn't fairytale (it would look like my hair is thinning if I did that).

I know my hair is so much shorter than yours (I just hit APL) so it will certainly be more difficult. The most difficult part of this was that some hair always got into my eyes so I had to be very careful with that, to not cut something accidentally.

If you're not sure of doing it yourself, then do go to a hairstylist. Unfortunately I had very bad experiences with the ones from my area and didn't want anymore chopped haircuts, so I took the matter in my own hands. I don't know how to upload photos here, but my layers look professionally (and correctly) cut so I recommend this video for whoever wants to try :).

Thanks for the video, Diana Prince. Even after watching, I still am to intimidated to try this on myself. I would love to see your photos, I admire those who can cut their own hair. So sorry that you have had bad experiences with hairstylists.

Bri-Chan
August 7th, 2021, 06:00 AM

Thank you for the video! I hope it works also for my length.

Bri-Chan
August 9th, 2021, 05:19 PM
I did it! Following that tutorial. It was quite easy but the first layer, I think i directed it in the wrong way... It not so visible.
I cut a little amount, like an inch. But honestly those ends were very thin so I don't how how will this be one dry ans styled as usual.
I've understood a thing from this experience. Starting from the top of the ears going down, my hair is very thin. And so, are the top hair to give my lengths and ends their thickness. I'll see how will it be in few days, but this make me think that maybe I've not enough hair to wear layers at this length.

Diana Prince
August 14th, 2021, 04:33 AM
I did it! Following that tutorial. It was quite easy but the first layer, I think i directed it in the wrong way... It not so visible.
I cut a little amount, like an inch. But honestly those ends were very thin so I don't how how will this be one dry ans styled as usual.
I've understood a thing from this experience. Starting from the top of the ears going down, my hair is very thin. And so, are the top hair to give my lengths and ends their thickness. I'll see how will it be in few days, but this make me think that maybe I've not enough hair to wear layers at this length.

Well done, Bri-Chan! :flower: It's good that you only cut an inch, if you really don't like layers you can grow it out very easily. I have very straight hair and do not like how layers look without styling them (my hair falls flat) so I put some rollers in the morning to give it some body and movement (I changed my avatar to my current hair). But, as I said, my hair is way shorter than yours so it may not be practical for you to do that. See how it goes and asses if you want layers or not anymore :).

paulownia
August 15th, 2021, 01:07 AM
I'm all for layers ;)
I've been going back and forth with a straight-across trims and layered cuts and just recently found a cut that works for me. My hair cannot stand too much layering but it looks great with a tiny amount of layers just on the ends.
What works for me is doing a compact cut with ponytail in the middle of the crown - just 1 cm, followed by a cut on ponytail under the chin ( kind of Spidermoms cut but I don't use a book, just tie my hair with a ponytail holder) - about 0,5-1 cm off this one. This procedure gives me just the right amount of layering and I love it:D

lapushka
August 15th, 2021, 03:26 AM
I just compact cut, again. Just did it a couple weeks ago, but I mean, I don't know what the heck happened but it was down over my booty again. :shocked: