PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help!

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Hi, my name is Madeleine and I joined this site because I was after some hair advice. I have been growing my hair for about two years now. My goal when I first started growing my hair was to get it down to my waist, and it still kind of is but I just don’t think it’s growing anymore. When I started growing my hair it was about neck length with layers and it is now about armpit length with hardly any layers. Surely it wouldn’t take two whole years to get to only armpit length. I know hair only grows half an inch a month but I still recon that it should be longer by now. I have never died my hair. The colour of it is natural and I don’t straighten it. I use a hairdryer sometimes when I come out the shower in the winter but that is about as much heat as it gets. I do go swimming now and again but not every day. Probably no more than three times a month, if that! I wash my hair about twice a week using shampoo and conditioner. I have been using a shampoo and conditioner recently called ‘Mane and Tail’ as I read it was good for healthy hair and hair growth but I can’t see much improvement. Most of the time I have it down but I occasionally tie it up. When I do though I never tie it too high or too tight. When I brush my hair I usually ither use a light weight brush or a comb and when I brush it I make sure I do it gently. I tried coconut oil on my hair once but it made my scalp burn and it also made it really itchy so I washed it off and never used it again. I have looked back at old family photos because I read that genetics play a huge part in hair length but it’s so hard to tell as most of the people in the photos have their hair tied up in some way. I saw a picture whilst looking through albums of my mum and she told me that in the photo she was about fourteen years old (I am twenty one) and in the photo she had long brown natural hair just past waist length. Seeing that photo gave me hope but then she was only fourteen and would have still been growing in height so I don’t really think that counts for anything. My mum never died her hair when she was younger ither. My mum has short hair at the moment. I don’t think it’s because she can’t get it any longer, I just think she likes it that way now. I get my hair trimmed about once every couple of months to avoid split ends. I always tell the hairdresser that I am trying to grow my hair and don’t want her to cut that much off so she only cut a tiny bit of the ends. Well, that’s all I can think to tell you about my hair. I know I went on a bit and I’m sorry, I just wanted to tell you a lot so you could give the best advice and I thought to do that you might need to know a lot about my hair before hand. I really want it long but how long am I suppose to wait? Five years? Ten years? What if it’s not growing because armpit length is my terminal length? If I thought it was growing I would be prepared to wait as long as it took as I am quite patient when it comes to growing my hair but I just don’t think it is. Thank you so much for any replies in advance. Below is a picture of my hair natural (without the use of a hairdryer) and I just brushed it before I took the photo so you can see how it looks when it’s brushed. My hair is natural quite frizzy but is straighter when I use a hair dryer on it.

Current picture of my hair :
http://i57.tinypic.com/2coo8as.jpg

Picture I found of my mum when she was a teenager:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2lkupvr.jpg

purplevickie
February 15th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Is it possible that your hairdresser is trimming off more than you think? You say you had layers when you started growing out and now there are none, so you must have had quite a bit trimmed off - those ends would be far closer to waist than you are now. If you grow half an inch a month and your hairdresser trims half that every two months, you won't have much left.

Your hair doesn't look like it's anywhere near terminal, as it's thick at the ends. Have you tried measuring your hair to see how much it grows each month? You may have very slow-growing naturally, so combined with regular trims could well keep you shorter than you'd like.

Unless you're noticing split ends, I wouldn't say any hair needs trimming every couple of months. I haven't had mine trimmed in eight months and am only start starting to notice a few splits on my ends.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Is it possible that your hairdresser is trimming off more than you think? You say you had layers when you started growing out and now there are none, so you must have had quite a bit trimmed off - those ends would be far closer to waist than you are now. If you grow half an inch a month and your hairdresser trims half that every two months, you won't have much left.

Your hair doesn't look like it's anywhere near terminal, as it's thick at the ends. Have you tried measuring your hair to see how much it grows each month? You may have very slow-growing naturally, so combined with regular trims could well keep you shorter than you'd like.

Unless you're noticing split ends, I wouldn't say any hair needs trimming every couple of months. I haven't had mine trimmed in eight months and am only start starting to notice a few splits on my ends.

Thank you so much for replying. I am really am so grateful for it. I will try not trimming my hair as often and see if that helps. :)

georgia_peach
February 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Unless you're noticing split ends, I wouldn't say any hair needs trimming every couple of months. I haven't had mine trimmed in eight months and am only start starting to notice a few splits on my ends. I totally agree with this advice. Your hair looks very thick and healthy. There's really no need to trim. Some of us go years with no trims and have no negative consequences and the bonus is much longer hair! Also, you may want to begin wearing your hair up more often than down. That will give the ends extra protection and again reduce the need to trim away your progress.

Welcome to our community! :flowers:

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Why not go for the no trimming challenge.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126267

You really do *not* need to get trims every 4-8 weeks. That means the hairdresser is cutting away all your growth. You can easily go years between trims, if there are no split ends or white dots from damage. You can check your hair for that and do S&D sessions, these are "sessions" where you sit down and look at individual hairs to see whether there is damage, and if there is, you only cut the hair strand that has the damage on it right above the damage.

Madora
February 15th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Madeline13, have you tried upside down massaging to help stimulate your follicles? Try a little every day. Be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb before and after you massage.

I doubt if your hair has reached terminal. You should give it another 5 years, at least. Your hair appears to be in nice condition so just continue pampering it and be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb before you brush it. Good luck!

lapis_lazuli
February 15th, 2015, 08:57 AM
^ I agree with Madora; I found this method has helped a lot with my hair growth :) I believe it's called the Inversion Method if you want to research more.
Good luck! :flower:

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the advice, it was really helpful. :)

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Thank you! :heart:

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
No, I have never tried that, but I will now! :D Thank you so much for your amazing advice and maybe I say that your hair is just so beautiful. :love:

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM
*May I say

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much! I will start wearing it up a lot more! :)

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Madeline13, have you tried upside down massaging to help stimulate your follicles? Try a little every day. Be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb before and after you massage.

I doubt if your hair has reached terminal. You should give it another 5 years, at least. Your hair appears to be in nice condition so just continue pampering it and be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb before you brush it. Good luck!

No, I have never tried that, but I will now! Thank you so much for your amazing advice and maybe I say that your hair is just so beautiful.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM

No, I have never tried that, but I will now! Thank you so much for your amazing advice and may I say that your hair is just so beautiful.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Ooh. Looking at your hair I would say that you likely have naturally wavy hair rather than straight, and there are methods you can use to enhance your waves - brushing will make it frizz.

I will also say that your hair looks wonderful and thick and that with TLC you will end up with a glorious long mane just the way you want it to be:):flower:

I also agree that with gentle handling and treatment you hair will probably cope with much longer intervals between trimming. Your hairdresser could well be cutting off all your growth. You could if you wish, learn to trim it yourself - many folks here do, then you will never get too much trimmed off!!

animetor7
February 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
You say that your hair is naturally frizzy, that could also be damage from blowdrying your hair if you blowdry on warm or hot. You can do one of two things here, switch to blowdrying on cool or just let your hair airdry. I think the second option tends to be more popular on the LHC, but there are certainly members who blowdry on cool with great success. In any case, stop blowdyring on hot or warm, that can definitely cause damage that can cause frizz. Another likely possibility is that you have more curl than you think you do. Even beautifully healthy hair can look frizzy if it has curl that is not being properly cared for. I'd get your hair typed and check out some of the curly haired threads to see if their advice works for you. In regards to hair typing, all that means is that you wash your hair and then let it dry without manipulation [no brushing or combing to make it straighter] and then ask the lovely ladies and gents here for some help in telling you what hair type you have. I hope that helps!

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Ooh. Looking at your hair I would say that you likely have naturally wavy hair rather than straight, and there are methods you can use to enhance your waves - brushing will make it frizz.

I will also say that your hair looks wonderful and thick and that with TLC you will end up with a glorious long mane just the way you want it to be:):flower:

I also agree that with gentle handling and treatment you hair will probably cope with much longer intervals between trimming. Your hairdresser could well be cutting off all your growth. You could if you wish, learn to trim it yourself - many folks here do, then you will never get too much trimmed off!!

Thank you for saying that. I really do hope so. :)

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
The problem with letting your hair air dry in the winter is that it's cold and I don't want to get ill by hanging around the house with wet hair. I could try using a lower setting though. I will try that! :)

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
You say that your hair is naturally frizzy, that could also be damage from blowdrying your hair if you blowdry on warm or hot. You can do one of two things here, switch to blowdrying on cool or just let your hair airdry. I think the second option tends to be more popular on the LHC, but there are certainly members who blowdry on cool with great success. In any case, stop blowdyring on hot or warm, that can definitely cause damage that can cause frizz. Another likely possibility is that you have more curl than you think you do. Even beautifully healthy hair can look frizzy if it has curl that is not being properly cared for. I'd get your hair typed and check out some of the curly haired threads to see if their advice works for you. In regards to hair typing, all that means is that you wash your hair and then let it dry without manipulation [no brushing or combing to make it straighter] and then ask the lovely ladies and gents here for some help in telling you what hair type you have. I hope that helps!

The problem with letting your hair air dry in the winter is that it's cold and I don't want to get ill by hanging around the house with wet hair. I could try using a lower setting though. I will try that! :)

Madora
February 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
No, I have never tried that, but I will now! Thank you so much for your amazing advice and may I say that your hair is just so beautiful. Thanks, Madeleine13. I might caution you to start massaging slowly at first. Try it for 3 minutes and see how your follicles like it. Sometimes when the follicles are drawn in a different position, they protest vigorously and your scalp hurts. If your scalp isn't bothered by this new method, then increase the massaging by another 3 minutes and see how it does.

As far as drying hair in the winter, you might want to look into a small portable electric fan. I have one myself (it has 4 settings). I just turn it on and then stand about 4 feet away from it and comb my detangled hair until it is dry. Takes all of 45 minutes to dry my knee length hair. Good luck!

TrapperCreekD
February 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Something that immediately jumped out at me, you said your natural hair is quite frizzy. You probably have more wave or curl than you suspect. Are you seeing any breakage when you comb/brush? Another thing, Mane n' Tail is chock full of protein, plus being a sulfate-y shampoo, which can really dry out your strands if there's not a enough moisture to balance the protein.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Something that immediately jumped out at me, you said your natural hair is quite frizzy. You probably have more wave or curl than you suspect. Are you seeing any breakage when you comb/brush? Another thing, Mane n' Tail is chock full of protein, plus being a sulfate-y shampoo, which can really dry out your strands if there's not a enough moisture to balance the protein.

I don't think so.

spidermom
February 15th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I think that your only problem with length is your frequent trims. Stop trimming or at least reduce the frequency to every 3-4 months (or more), trimming no more than 1/2-1 inch at that time.

I blow-dry on warm, and I see absolutely no problem with it. I use a heat protective spray. To avoid frizz from blow drying, you have to be sure to position the hair dryer above the hair shaft and blow down the hair shaft. Never ever blow up through your hair.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I think that your only problem with length is your frequent trims. Stop trimming or at least reduce the frequency to every 3-4 months (or more), trimming no more than 1/2-1 inch at that time.

I blow-dry on warm, and I see absolutely no problem with it. I use a heat protective spray. To avoid frizz from blow drying, you have to be sure to position the hair dryer above the hair shaft and blow down the hair shaft. Never ever blow up through your hair.

Thank you for you advice!

Majorane
February 15th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Hello there you with the pretty hair! :) Since almost all wise advice has been given already, I have but one question. How is your overal health and eating pattern? Back when I had an eating disorder, my hair barely grew. When I had superduper stress and was burned out, I had a shed and didn't grow very fast, and last year I had minor surgery (that did leave me black and blue and probably was a bit of a shock to the system) and then I grew 1cm in maybe 4 months or so. So, a shocked body can just decide to not grow hair very fast. Now, if you are in normal good health you are probably good and just need to stop trimming but I figured I ask anyway :flowers:

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Hello there you with the pretty hair! :) Since almost all wise advice has been given already, I have but one question. How is your overal health and eating pattern? Back when I had an eating disorder, my hair barely grew. When I had superduper stress and was burned out, I had a shed and didn't grow very fast, and last year I had minor surgery (that did leave me black and blue and probably was a bit of a shock to the system) and then I grew 1cm in maybe 4 months or so. So, a shocked body can just decide to not grow hair very fast. Now, if you are in normal good health you are probably good and just need to stop trimming but I figured I ask anyway :flowers:

I am not obese or anything like that but I am on a diet to try and lose a stone.

Madeleine13
February 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I also forgot to mention that I do have quite a naturally dry scalp but I do use condition on it every time I wash it.

Majorane
February 15th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I am not obese or anything like that but I am on a diet to try and lose a stone.
You indeed didn't look at all obese from what I could see from your picture :flower: but since you are trying to loose weight, your body might shove 'hair growing' lower on the priority to-do list. So, ehm, without wanting to sound like your mom, vitamins are important and especially when dieting, so your body doesn't go all 'aaarhg there is a famine, let's not grow hair and save energy!'. Of course you probably already do, but, ehm, well, just in case.

Madeleine13
February 16th, 2015, 02:20 AM
You indeed didn't look at all obese from what I could see from your picture :flower: but since you are trying to loose weight, your body might shove 'hair growing' lower on the priority to-do list. So, ehm, without wanting to sound like your mom, vitamins are important and especially when dieting, so your body doesn't go all 'aaarhg there is a famine, let's not grow hair and save energy!'. Of course you probably already do, but, ehm, well, just in case.

You don't sound like my mum. I love any advice I get. It's all useful. Would you recommend taking vitamin tablets and what food would you recommend best for eating that are high in vitamins? :)

Madeleine13
May 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM
This is the picture of my hair that I posted about four months ago above on the first page: http://i57.tinypic.com/2coo8as.jpg

This is a photo of my hair that was taken today after I had just washed it (I took your advice and have not trimmed it since the last photo): http://i60.tinypic.com/2ihvx3s.png

What do you think?

lapushka
May 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I think it looks *AMAZING*! :)

Elly May
May 25th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Wow! Great progress. That's a big difference in a short amount of time. :p

Arctic
May 25th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I see curls hiding :) And growth! And nice sheen!

Madeleine13
May 25th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies. I couldn't really see a difference so I thought I would put it on here and see what everyone thought as you are all experts on hair! :D

Madeleine13
May 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Thank you! :o

Madeleine13
May 25th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I think it looks *AMAZING*! :)

Thank you! :o

yahirwaO.o
May 25th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Your hair looks fantastic, and like others have said, there are some waves waiting to happen..... I think you are the perfect candidate for bun waves, big shocking waved hair minus frizz!

Acidrop
May 25th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I was given advice that I'll pass along here, seeing your photos.

Try coconut oil in your hair while its wet. Just little bits finger-combed through.

What I noticed was it tamed any frizz I had, and weighed down some of the waves.

Otherwise, I can only say what great hick hair you have! :)

gthlvrmx
May 25th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Your hair looks like it growing! If I were you, I would stop the blow drying and trimming so much. I think I have read some people say blow drying is fine as long as it is on the cool setting, or if it doesn't burn your arm. So if it is on cool, you shouldn't have to worry. Mane n Tail is just shampoo and conditioner, it doesn't do much to make your hair grow faster or better. It has protein in it which may help your hair if your hair needs the protein in it. I don't think "frizzy" is a natural hairtype really and maybe if you give it enough moisture (maybe even CO wash?) it will turn into waves or curls. Sometimes frizzy hair is just a sign that your hair wants to turn into waves or curls. Make sure your comb you use is seamless, you don't want to damage it from the seam that some combs have. What type of brush do you use? 100% Pure boar bristle brushes are very good for your hair, Madora has made good posts about it before.

Peabody
May 25th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Wow great progress! It really does look longer.

My advice would be to use a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

Lookin good!

Anje
May 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Ooooh, it's definitely getting longer!

I agree with all the people who've said it rather looks like you've got curls hiding in there. I'll bet that with some extra conditioning and if you changed how you handled it a bit, it would form waves and eventually curls instead of having that somewhat frizzy texture. "Curly Girl" is the usual recommended reading for such things, but here's a really basic thing to try now that the weather is warm enough to not freeze if you let it air-dry. (Curlies, feel free to weigh in. I'm suggesting something but I don't have the curls to know how well it'd really work!)

When you wash your hair, maybe on a warm evening when you've got some free time, shampoo it and rinse as you usually do. Then apply conditioner, keeping it off your scalp, and let it soak in for a bit. (I wash my body during this time.) Then run a wide-tooth comb through your conditioner-filled hair to detangle it, and rinse about 60-70% of the conditioner out of your hair. You want it to still be a little bit slippery-slimy. Squeeze the excess water out a little with your hands, wrap a towel around your shoulders, and don't handle your hair again. Just let it drip-dry without touching it. If I'm right, you'll get some waves and maybe the odd curl out of this the first time you do it, and it might curl more and more if you keep repeating the process when you wash. Oh, and take a picture -- I think a bunch of us are curious how it'd look after you do that. :D

Betazed
May 25th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Nice progress! Since every good advice I've ever recieved has already been said, I will only say this: Patience!! It's been over 8 years since I started growing out "just brushing shoulders" length and I just recently reached waist. Of course, what I thought was slow growth was breakage in disguise. When I began taking better care of my hair and measured every month, I found I actually have a pretty quick growth speed (1 inch approx. every 5-6 weeks). Since you seem to take much better care of your hair than I did mine at the beginning of my growing journey, you probably dont have to worry about too much breakage. I suggest measuring monthly just to see how much your gaining per month. Then, if you still want to get regular trims, you'll have a better idea how much you can afford to lose and how frequently.

Welcome to LHC! :waving:

Madeleine13
May 26th, 2015, 01:22 AM
I was given advice that I'll pass along here, seeing your photos.

Try coconut oil in your hair while its wet. Just little bits finger-combed through.

What I noticed was it tamed any frizz I had, and weighed down some of the waves.

Otherwise, I can only say what great hick hair you have! :)

I tried that before but it made my head burn and become very itchy.

Madeleine13
May 26th, 2015, 01:27 AM
I usually just use whatever brush I can find :rolleyes: I do have a comb though. It's quite wide like the one in this picture but it has a handle on it; which I sometimes use: https://thecutelittlebeautyblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/image10.jpg

Madeleine13
May 26th, 2015, 01:28 AM
Nice progress! Since every good advice I've ever recieved has already been said, I will only say this: Patience!! It's been over 8 years since I started growing out "just brushing shoulders" length and I just recently reached waist. Of course, what I thought was slow growth was breakage in disguise. When I began taking better care of my hair and measured every month, I found I actually have a pretty quick growth speed (1 inch approx. every 5-6 weeks). Since you seem to take much better care of your hair than I did mine at the beginning of my growing journey, you probably dont have to worry about too much breakage. I suggest measuring monthly just to see how much your gaining per month. Then, if you still want to get regular trims, you'll have a better idea how much you can afford to lose and how frequently.

Welcome to LHC! :waving:

Yes, I really should try measuring it.

Madeleine13
May 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM
This is a picture of my hair when it has just been washed. I haven't used a hair dryer on it at all. I have just towel dried it (so I don't catch a cold or something).: http://i59.tinypic.com/2mwcqds.jpg

Madeleine13
May 31st, 2015, 06:06 AM
Ooooh, it's definitely getting longer!

I agree with all the people who've said it rather looks like you've got curls hiding in there. I'll bet that with some extra conditioning and if you changed how you handled it a bit, it would form waves and eventually curls instead of having that somewhat frizzy texture. "Curly Girl" is the usual recommended reading for such things, but here's a really basic thing to try now that the weather is warm enough to not freeze if you let it air-dry. (Curlies, feel free to weigh in. I'm suggesting something but I don't have the curls to know how well it'd really work!)

When you wash your hair, maybe on a warm evening when you've got some free time, shampoo it and rinse as you usually do. Then apply conditioner, keeping it off your scalp, and let it soak in for a bit. (I wash my body during this time.) Then run a wide-tooth comb through your conditioner-filled hair to detangle it, and rinse about 60-70% of the conditioner out of your hair. You want it to still be a little bit slippery-slimy. Squeeze the excess water out a little with your hands, wrap a towel around your shoulders, and don't handle your hair again. Just let it drip-dry without touching it. If I'm right, you'll get some waves and maybe the odd curl out of this the first time you do it, and it might curl more and more if you keep repeating the process when you wash. Oh, and take a picture -- I think a bunch of us are curious how it'd look after you do that. :D

I did what you said apart from I forgot to not condition my scalp but I made sure it was slippery and I let it drip dry! :)

Here is a photo: http://i62.tinypic.com/2nv4gvb.jpg

lapushka
May 31st, 2015, 06:57 AM
I tried that before but it made my head burn and become very itchy.

I don't think you're supposed to rub it on your scalp. ;)

lapushka
May 31st, 2015, 06:58 AM
I did what you said apart from I forgot to not condition my scalp but I made sure it was slippery and I let it drip dry! :)

Here is a photo: http://i62.tinypic.com/2nv4gvb.jpg

That looks like 2a hair to me.

Anje
May 31st, 2015, 07:28 AM
At least 2a. I'm thinking that if you keep doing that sort of thing, it's going to get wavier and wavier. You can already see that it's developed a nice cohesive back-and-forth wiggle instead of frizz. :)

Mammasaurusrex
May 31st, 2015, 07:47 AM
I suggest researching the inversion method. If your hair growth has hit a plateau it might help you. When my mom was younger she had hair down to her waist like your mother did so it is discouraging to me that mine has never been past arm pit length. I hope your hair continues to grow. Im so afraid mine will get about as long as yours is now and stop growing just like it always does.

Anje
May 31st, 2015, 09:12 AM
I suggest researching the inversion method. If your hair growth has hit a plateau it might help you. When my mom was younger she had hair down to her waist like your mother did so it is discouraging to me that mine has never been past arm pit length. I hope your hair continues to grow. Im so afraid mine will get about as long as yours is now and stop growing just like it always does.

Do you wear yours up, Mamasaurusrex? Around apl is where a lot of people who keep their hair loose start to have damage from it rubbing on chairs. It sounds like such a little thing, but I've seen it over and over, both on this forum and people-watching in lecture pits. It's amazing how much damage many of the girls have starting right at the point where their hair meets the chair, usually as I see them leaning against it!

Madeleine13
May 31st, 2015, 09:55 AM
At least 2a. I'm thinking that if you keep doing that sort of thing, it's going to get wavier and wavier. You can already see that it's developed a nice cohesive back-and-forth wiggle instead of frizz. :)

Thank you! One question though. Am I allowed to brush it at all? If I stop brushing my hair then I'm worried it will get all tangly.

Madeleine13
May 31st, 2015, 10:01 AM
Also, today I got a detangling hair brush :)

Fericera
May 31st, 2015, 10:14 AM
First of all, don't worry! As the others have said, your hemline is thick and healthy looking, so I'm sure you can grow longer. I second their suggestions on not trimming as much. I've gone for 1 1/2 years with no trims and still don't have any split ends on my length.

As for a suggestion that hasn't already been given. I notice you said you're using Mane and Tail shampoo. That's a great shampoo for protein, but you also need moisture or else your hair will get dry and crunchy. I recommend looking at the deep treatment threads and doing at least one a week as long as you're using that high protein shampoo. Making sure your hair is strong with protein, as well as moisturized will help prevent splits and help you go longer between trims.

I recommend the SMT (Snow Moon Moisture Treatment). It's made up of pure aloe gel, conditioner, and honey. It works wonders! There are exact instructions in the hair treatment section of the forum. Also if you want to try hair growth experiments, there's the inversion method, and caffeine treatments. Those two seem to show results for some people, and can be fun to mess around with while waiting for hair to grow. Good luck! :)

Edit: I just realized this was an old thread. Silly me, I thought this was posted today! Your growth picture you posted looks great!

Madeleine13
May 31st, 2015, 10:17 AM
I don't think you're supposed to rub it on your scalp. ;)

Oh, are you not? When I looked up how to use it it told me to use it on my scalp :blushing: