PDA

View Full Version : Return! And possible texture change?

Creagan
February 15th, 2015, 03:47 AM
A few months ago I got a pretty major haircut and decided to take a break from here since I didn't feel I had "long" hair anymore. (I went from waist to APL.) The haircut wasn't a bad thing though, and I'd been thinking about getting a cut from the day I started posting here. I couldn't stand my grown out bangs. They wouldn't stay in a braid, wouldn't stay clipped back, little strands kept getting in my face, and the only thing that kept them from tickling me was wearing headbands 24/7. Which was a problem, because I already look like a 14 year old and headbands make me look even younger.

So I asked my mom to cut my bangs back in. She resisted, because she had been trying to get me to grow my bangs out for years before I finally gave in. Eventually I got her to do it by promising she could lop eight inches off the length. I really would have liked to keep some of the length, but if that's what it took to get my bangs back, so be it.

I went from this: (no bangs)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12834&d=1409724863

To this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15920&d=1423994384
You can't tell, but I have bangs that stop at my eyebrows when they're pushed forward. And I LOVE them. They don't get in my face. (When they're grown out, they stick straight down.) When I brush them back, they actually stay back. They don't get greasy after a day. This is almost the same hair style I had for a good 20 years before I grew my hair out. Deviating from that was clearly a mistake. I'm never growing my bangs out again. I will probably work on the length, though. I've managed to get it from APL to MBL, and might try for waist again. But the bangs are staying forever.

Also, I've noticed my texture changed pretty drastically after my cuts. Previously, it was typed at 2A, but it feels a LOT more wavy now. The photo shown was taken after I'd steamed it with a Q-redew, but it's pretty close to what my hair looks like after drying from a shower. (If I shower and then sleep on the wet hair, the waves are actually even more defined.) So I'm curious if it changed textures, or if it just got weighed down and looked less wavy when it was down to my waist? (Also, it goes almost completely straight on days where I don't wash it.)

I'm still planning on treating my hair as nicely as possible, and still hoping to grow it out (at least a little longer.) We'll see what happens. You guys are long-hair enablers!

Wildcat Diva
February 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
You were past hip, wayyyyh past waist. It's lovely then and now.

Good luck on growing!

chebella
February 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Your hair is so pretty! The wave looks really nice. Your hair can change textures depending on what you do to it- for example, if you used henna, you might notice a little less wave or it would feel smoother- but I don't think just cutting it can change it's texture. I definitely think it was just the weight that made it less wavy, that's what happened to me when I cut my long hair, too.