PDA

View Full Version : Male Hair Loss: Mature Hairline or Early Stages? (Pics)

daredevil14
February 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I am 25 years old, I have mid-back wavy/curly hair, have been wearing long hair for almost 5 years now. Looking at my pictures back when I was 19-20, I can tell that I had a pseudo v-shaped mature hairline. Only almost a year ago when I started to notice it again as I part my hair in the middle which covers any receding so I do not know if I lost my temple area hair during this whole period! My curls are thin but that's related to long hair issues as I do not trim and usually condition/oil a lot to have more defined curls, if not, I would have TONS of frizzy hair and I don't like that look.

The first 2 pictures were taken now, the full back one was taken a year ago (my hair is longer now), the last one was when I was 20 and is the day I decided to grow my hair so you can see the difference. What do you think? Am I Nord Wood2? Is this a mature hairline? Should I start worrying? My crown area doesn't show any sign of thinning. My shedding is completely normal (and low sometimes) for a long haired person, you're supposed to lose 50 to 100 hair/day, I rarely find hair on pillows and stuff since I have curly hair so I only lose hair in the shower when combing, if I wash my hair and comb it once a week, I'd lose like 450-500.

Note: No one in my small and big family has any receding hair in general (mother's father had a head full of hair until he died in his 70s), only my father has some kind of NW (small-to-mid patch in the crown) and recession in the front but he's already in his 60s. Big brother has completely normal head of hair, he's 29.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2n8oapy.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/245acnq.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/f4o651.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/t0jeib.jpg

CremeTron
February 14th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I cannot see any photos. It could just be me though.

DreamSheep
February 14th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately can't see photos either.
Looking at the links, they are attachments from a forum that we have to be logged in to see (a hairloss forum), so it may be better if you upload these photos either to your LHC album, or onto a photobucket.com album. :)

ETA: You could also find hte .jpg / .gif / .png link to those files, and put those between IMG tags, and it should work.
Unfortunately none of us can do it without being forum members

daredevil14
February 14th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry about that, corrected!

DreamSheep
February 14th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I'm no expert - but I wouldn't say it looked too bad. A bit receding, yes, maybe you could try castor oil? :s

I was more distracted by your curls if I'm honest ^^

CremeTron
February 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I agree with DreamSheep. It is not to bad and you could try something topical.

yogagirl
February 14th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Wow, your hair is beautiful!! Sorry, I got distracted :)

What I wanted to tell you though is, my husband has a receding hairline like that and he has had it since his early twenties I think. It has receded more over the last 10 years, BUT! His dad (over 70 y/o) has a receding hairline and otherwise a full head of hair! The hair line is a bit worse than yours but by no means ridiculous looking. Neither my husband not his dad have a balding spot on their crowns. Personally I think they hit the jackpot, because this hair loss pattern must be so much easier to deal with than the crown balding, especially for men with long hair.

I don't know if there is any way to know what exactly our hair will do when we get older, before the fact. Looking at your ancestors helps, but there's no way to be sure esp when you say your dad and brother's hairlines look different. Either way, I hope you can get to a point where you are not terribly concerned about it. I know it is hard, because I am also dealing with thinning hair due to age (I think? Maybe? It's so hard to tell.)

Again, your hair is gorgeous and I'm sure you will get to enjoy it for many years to come.

Bill D.
February 14th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Nice hair! I had severe hair loss by age 23. With regard to the onset of serious male pattern baldness, the thing to watch out for is massive thinning behind the hairline. Also, surviving hairs in that area will get shorter and shorter; they don't actually shrink, but new hairs don't grow as long as they used to.

Bill D.

Upside Down
February 14th, 2015, 10:51 AM
I think there was a thread about caffeine rinses, and I know caffeine can block the effects of testosterone regarding hairloss... Worth some research, imo. :)

Panth
February 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Personally, I think it looks absolutely fine. I would only be concerned if you were also getting thinning on the crown.

(Also, male-pattern baldness is X-linked (some of the key the genes that control it are on the X chromosome). So, men never inherit their male-pattern baldness (or lack thereof) from their father. Look to your maternal grandfather and (if you have any) uncles, great-uncles and cousins on your mother's side of the family. You will most likely inherit their pattern of hair loss / lack of hair loss.)

pamrlyn
February 14th, 2015, 11:51 AM
your hair is gorgeous - I love those curls :-)

I think we all get a little more forehead as we mature. since you're not seeing any unusual shedding & don't have thinning hair in your family, I think you are fine.

Anje
February 14th, 2015, 12:05 PM
It might be receding a little, but it seems very similar to what I see in my husband: slowly retreating hairline with no thinning at the vertex/crown. The vertex thinning is what is typical of X-linked male pattern baldness, in my understanding, and your family history suggests you aren't likely to get that. It doesn't mean you can't get a receding hairline, but in my observation it seems like that is a far slower process.

Now my husband has been using minoxidil (generic rogaine) for quite a long time (he maybe started at 30? and is 38 now) and it thickened his hair up a bit on top and moved his hairline a bit forward at the corners. It still looks like a mature male hairline, but I don't think it's advanced. The packaging suggests that they don't guarantee it'll work for that type of hairloss, but it seems to work well enough. I'd suggest giving minoxidil a try for a couple months. We noticed a difference on my short-haired husband in about 2 months, so you wouldn't have to stick to it for ages before you know if it works. Just keep the stuff away from any cats (i.e. don't let them lick your head, don't put it on their bare spots), as it's toxic for them. My cats have had no problems, but it's worth knowing not to let them come in contact with it.

vega
February 14th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I think hair hair line looks fine ,maybe your curls are getting heavier as they gain length x

hannabiss
February 14th, 2015, 10:05 PM
strange my brother aaron is bald (at the rip old age of 25 ) my brother josh has a receding hair line like yours and is 30. My mothers dad died at the. age of 65 with thick black curly hair no receding hair line...im not help but i definetly think your hair line looks just fine for a man. No worries id say. But genetically my family isnt much help.

butter52
February 15th, 2015, 03:52 AM
You have beautiful hair and I dont think your hairline is receiding too much.
About your hailine, you a guy, and some guys will get bald, some wont, but it is totally normal and not something to "worry about".
Enjoy your hair and if you someday loose it, welp, new look! If not, more look options.
But please dont worry about a natural normal process. Just the stress will make you loose more hair.

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 05:59 AM
I just see a "typical" guy hairline - that's all. I wouldn't worry too much. Your hair isn't visibly thinner at the hairline.

daredevil14
February 15th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Thank you all for the information, comments and opinions! :)

Looking back at pictures when I was 20 (with short hair), I had almost the same hairline so I must have lost it even before I started to grow my hair. Let's just hope that such hairline continues for a long time... thanks again!

chen bao jun
February 15th, 2015, 07:35 PM
My husband has had that same hairline since his early 20s and he is now 57.
I wouldn't say it looks like a receding hairline yet, impossible to say more than that. You probably won't bald in your twenties but most men are balding by 40 and by 60 there's not too many left with significant hair, so can't say for the future. However, worrying won't do anything and meanwhile you do have lovely hair.
They did used to say, look at your mom's dad, but that is no longer the theory. And my mom's dad was as bald as an egg at an early age and both my brothers have very full heads of hair and they are both around 50. I haven't got any bald cousins on that side of the family either, and I have a like at least 25 or 30 male cousins on the maternal side, most over 40, so even from jsut my family, taht theory doesn't fly.

jbab
February 21st, 2015, 05:17 PM
We both have the same hair line and family history (no baldness on either side) from the looks of it. If I were you I wouldn't worry about becoming bald any soon.

Five of Five
February 21st, 2015, 07:59 PM
In your photos, the first thing I noticed is how amazing your hair looks - dark, long and curly and healthy :thud:

To me the hairline looks typical for a guy, I don't think I'd have given it any thought unless it was deliberately brought to my attention.

TheMaleRapunzel
May 9th, 2015, 05:22 PM
You have beautiful hair and I dont think your hairline is receiding too much.
About your hailine, you a guy, and some guys will get bald, some wont, but it is totally normal and not something to "worry about".
Enjoy your hair and if you someday loose it, welp, new look! If not, more look options.
But please dont worry about a natural normal process. Just the stress will make you loose more hair.

So if you're a guy, you should just accept it as "normal" and move on. But if you're a girl, then you have a legitimate reason to be upset over losing your hair and receiving sympathy? That is pretty sexist.

lapushka
May 9th, 2015, 05:27 PM
So if you're a guy, you should just accept it as "normal" and move on. But if you're a girl, then you have a legitimate reason to be upset over losing your hair and receiving sympathy? That is pretty sexist.

Erm... again with the "sexist" remarks? I'm growing pretty tired of this, TBH. :rolleyes:

Gumball
May 9th, 2015, 05:49 PM

Mod hat on.

Please remember the KNIT guidelines (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?do=edit&a=8) and to avoid undue arguing with other members. Keeping in mind a similar thread of yours was closed due to circular discourse on that particular accusation, I would recommend not seeking reasons to be combative about it elsewhere. You had ignored the moderators trying to rein the arguments in previously, so please do not continue doing so.