PDA

View Full Version : Hair toy Hoarder Minimalist Challenge...oh my!!

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Okay, between now and March 1st I will pick 10 and only 10 toys to wear for the month of March. I can only wear those 10 toys. I will box away the rest and put them in my closet.

I have intentionally limited the time we have to select, in the hopes the deadline forces us to choose. I also hope that this challenge starts really hard and then gets easier as time moves on.

I also want this to go on for a full month to really live in and explore the capibilities of a limited hair toy wardrobe.

rules:

one toy is a fork, stick, pair, Ficcare, flexi, change a bead, etc etc. if you would wear it that way, it's one toy.

i am waiting on the arrival of some toys and they might not come until into March. If I want to include them in my 10, I can, but they take up a space in my 10 and I am then short a toy or so until it arrives.

You will post a photo of the ten toys on or before March 1st. And you must give your thoughts on the challenge and any updates and your thoughts at the end.

anyone want to join me? Anyone can join, but I'm hoping those who feel like 10 toys is a huge stretch/impossible will do so.

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 06:38 AM
My hope is by falsely constraining myself to 10, I can more easily destash to 50 (or 100 or something less).

two_wheels
February 14th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I'm in :D
choosing choosing choosing... also will post destash swaps thread today

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I'm thinking:

LI
TT
Graydog
Graydog pair
3 tusks
3 Ficcare

ETA: Nope, I've already changed my mind...

rags
February 14th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I've no IDEA how I would choose only ten! Aaargh. I'd like to try, but.....wow. Yeah. Hard.

I'm thinking about it.

ETA: I don't think it would make it a bit easier for me to destash though. As my hair grows I need different toys. Sometimes it refuses to hold with sticks for example, and forks work great. Then later sticks work again= but only Ketylos. Etc. Etc.

Seeshami
February 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I had to replace my entire hair wardrobe it's like a paper cut. It stings at first but once you come to terms with it you're fine.

Adiro
February 14th, 2015, 08:38 AM
It's ten toys for fourteen days? It s not "that" hard :)
I would join but I am in the other challenge thread, WEO for now.... Getting scared at how many toys I have and I need to de stash too!

Cool idea Quasi! If the challemge picks up,I'm the following months, when I am done witnWEO, I come here too! Wil view it anyway for,sure !

Islandgrrl
February 14th, 2015, 08:38 AM
The idea of this thread is tempting. There are things I have that I so rarely wear and could destash...with just a little push.

Choosing 10 Ficcare, though, seems silly. Ten of the same hairtoy, because it's all I wear to work. I guess I could throw a pair of sticks and a fork in there for weekend wear. Would the little copper pin I wear flor sleeping count?

rags
February 14th, 2015, 08:47 AM
It's ten toys for fourteen days? It s not "that" hard :)
I would join but I am in the other challenge thread, WEO for now.... Getting scared at how many toys I have and I need to de stash too!

Cool idea Quasi! If the challemge picks up,I'm the following months, when I am done witnWEO, I come here too! Wil view it anyway for,sure !

No, it's ten toys for the entire month of March. You have until March 1st to choose which ten.

Izzie, if you, me and Quasi all de-stashed - oh my!! The swap board would be swamped! :lol:

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Adiro, we are picking 10 toys for the month of March. The whole month. We have 2 weeks to pick them

Izzy, I think sleep toys can get a pass, as long as that is all you do with it. And I was actually thinking of you when I wrote the rules, I think a pair of Ficcare would count as one for you, since that is how you wear them and you don't wear them alone.

Eta: rags, oh my yes it would. But I don't really want to destash to 10 toys. I just need more confidence that I dont "need" all the things, just because I can have all the things.

rags
February 14th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Quasi, I'd consider it a miracle if I destashed to under triple digits! :p However, I'm not really buying these days, except for some older Ficcares i've acquired/traded for. So at least there is that.

I DO now have the teeniest tusk GTS ever made in my possession however - and I want another. And i blame YOU entirely!!! :twisted:

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Aren't they wonderful?!?

slynr
February 14th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I have a tendency to reach for the same Toys over and over. Am I the only one who does that? I certainly wouldn't want to be restricted to those though. I've made the mistake a few times of selling some things I really regretted. I'm much more hesitant now because as rags said some things don't work as well and then I'll get some growth and they work fabulously:)

rags
February 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I have a tendency to reach for the same Toys over and over. Am I the only one who does that? I certainly wouldn't want to be restricted to those though. I've made the mistake a few times of selling some things I really regretted. I'm much more hesitant now because as rags said some things don't work as well and then I'll get some growth and they work fabulously:)

Nope, not the only one. I probably wear the same.....20 or so toys over and over right now. BUT in a month or two it will be a different few toys, so yeah I'm hesitant to destash. The Ficcares are the only ones that I always wear, no matter what. And although I have my usual ones I wear All. The. Time. from my Ficcare collection - I love being able to grab one of the others when the moods strikes! (I'm wearing lime green today! My usuals are the dark blues and silvers).

KittyBird
February 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM

I do that too. I have 5-7 toys that I usually reach for - a plain metal fork, a few XXL flexi-8s and a few Ficcares. I refuse to let any of my other toys go though, because I definitely need all of them! ;)

DreamSheep
February 14th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Given I'm failing at the WEO right now (or rather, failing at taking photos), I think this thread may almost be more appropiate for me! :p

curlsgalore
February 14th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Hmmm this will be interesting:). I will have to think on this since I have time. Might be harder than I think...or I might be surprised :). Still not sure I will join this time though.

curlsgalore
February 14th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I DO now have the teeniest tusk GTS ever made in my possession however - and I want another. And i blame YOU entirely!!! :twisted:

I wanna see!! :cheer:

minaa
February 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
This is an interesting endeavor! I have to put up buns multiple times per day, usually, which is one of the reasons why it's nice to swap toys out. Sometimes a fork in a figure-8 bun is all I can do if other things aren't working, etc. So, I tend to view my collection as very malleable and constant--even though it's probably around 60 toys? I have to count. The items I never grab are what are going on the swap board now.

chen bao jun
February 14th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Naw, I'm keeping everything I have. Just trying n ot to buy more.

Like minaa, I often wear several different ones on the same day.

pastina
February 14th, 2015, 11:27 AM
meanwhile, i'm like, when are all these destashes happening? lol!

minaa
February 14th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Mine have been secretly slowly trickling out on the swap board over the last week :) I've sold 4 items already, and I'm about to sell the 5th. Whoo! That pays back ... two TTs. :[

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Lol I will probably have more when I get home. I spend all together too much time thinking about hairtoys. What I "should" or "shouldn't" keep, want, buy.

My hope is I can dally with minimalism here without anything drastic. I kinda like the idea of having 100 toys, but only having 20-30 out at a time. So every 3-4 months I can change them out and feel like I have new toys. I can "shop" in my own collection as it were.

I meant this just as a challenge and to actually BE CHALLENGING. Plus it's only a month. You can do anything for 31 days. :blossom:

two_wheels
February 14th, 2015, 12:50 PM
This is going to be challenging for me. I have about 10 ficcares that I rotate to wear to work. But that wouldn't leave me any fun toys, or anything to wear if I go swimming, or...

Here is first cut. I am thinking about a hair elastic to go with the lite blonde ficcare because that (or plain quattro U pins) is what I wear to do sports, but I guess that means I always have to wear both together...

http://i.imgur.com/RUZGpBR.png

I tried to get a balance between things I wear all the time for work, vs some pretties that I will grow out of soon, plus some fun things. But man, it's hard. I might have to swap the graydogs for the quattro U pins.

All I have learnt so far in this challenge is that I "need" lots of hairthings, or at least that I wear many more than 10 on a regular basis!

Sterlyn
February 14th, 2015, 01:20 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Me too pastina, me too....

AspenSong
February 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM

lol. Ditto. At least I feel like less of a horrible person now that I'm not alone.

Sterlyn
February 14th, 2015, 01:39 PM
lol. Ditto. At least I feel like less of a horrible person now that I'm not alone.

Nope this is me, stalking the swap board....:popcorn::popcorn:

two_wheels
February 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I'm about to post mine :P

Adiro
February 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Thank you for explaining the rules to me better!

My English understanding fails me sometimes :)

Well, to be honest I was changing toys several,times a day until I started to take WEO seriously, and that was just to discipline myself. Really made me realize that at this rate, if I do wear one toy per day, during one year no toy would have been worn more than like say 3-4 times a year, which means that 5 years from now they are still basically new..... And in 5 years maybe I get bored or long hair.....( some day I am bored already...) and then what ... Mybe it's time to put a STOP sign on acquiring more and more, after all I spent a little fortune already on hair toys, and it's not one year since I began buying...

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Adiro I feel the same way sometimes. :grouphug:

Naturally that means I bought something from two wheels less than 30 min ago...

Adiro
February 14th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Quasi lol! Good for you! I didn't view her swap thread yet :)
After all you will be wearing ten toys a month ONLY for the month of March, and never again, after that, right? :)

Adiro
February 14th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Two wheels, what a beautiful selection of toys!

Taenarian
February 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Since each pair of sticks = 1 toy, I can likely make this. I'm away from home until mid-March and travel with maybe only five hair toys - okay six, I want to do some half-ups ... yes I can meet this challenge! (Does merely six hair toys for end of February to ~St. Patrick's count for extra credit?!)

two_wheels
February 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Two wheels, what a beautiful selection of toys!
Thanks! Though you should see my swaps thread... (just kidding!!)

Taenarian, that definitely counts for extra credit :) I just realised I am travelling for two weeks after this challenge finishes, so I too will be rocking the minimalism for a while longer. But maybe with different toys ;)

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Well I was thinking I might do this regularly. Either 10 for a month every few/6 months or every few months pick 20-30 And that is it for those months and change out when things stop working or I get tired of what I have.

two_wheels
February 14th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I think I do the 20-30 thing naturally anyway. Then I switch them around like you described. I'm really doing this challenge so we can have fun chatting about it like we used to in WEO :beerchug:

StellaKatherine
February 14th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I find it easy to wear less of different toys at winter time as basically with hats I can wear only fork. Need to kneet myself an earwarmers ( I always knit for others never for myself hehe ) so that I can wear sticks more easily :) Summer time is more difficult... Would you count different flowers as hair toys as well..... ? :D

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
I think I do the 20-30 thing naturally anyway. Then I switch them around like you described. I'm really doing this challenge so we can have fun chatting about it like we used to in WEO :beerchug:

I'll take it :beer::beercheer::waltz:!

chen bao jun
February 16th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Thank you for explaining the rules to me better!

My English understanding fails me sometimes :)

Well, to be honest I was changing toys several,times a day until I started to take WEO seriously, and that was just to discipline myself. Really made me realize that at this rate, if I do wear one toy per day, during one year no toy would have been worn more than like say 3-4 times a year, which means that 5 years from now they are still basically new..... And in 5 years maybe I get bored or long hair.....( some day I am bored already...) and then what ... Mybe it's time to put a STOP sign on acquiring more and more, after all I spent a little fortune already on hair toys, and it's not one year since I began buying...

Why do you think all the toys up on swap say 'barely worn'? I used to think people were being creative with the truth in order to sell, but then after everything I bought was in fact just about new, I realized that most people don't wear most of their hair toys that much. a lot of people have one or two that they wear all the time, but even people who try to switch it up, if you have say, 100 hair toys, each one only gets worn 3 times a year, at best.

As I said, that why I wear 3 or even 4 a day, changing them up a little more. And they still aren't getting worn very much. I think I have 70 or 80 now.

I admire you all--but I can't bring myself to join this challenge.

Islandgrrl
February 16th, 2015, 11:26 PM
I think I've narrowed it down.

1. Big red willowthewisp hair fork
2. lite blonde Ficcare Superclip pair
3. Border leopard brown Ficcare maximas
4. Border caramel Ficcare maximas
5. Lotus olivine Ficcare maximas
6. Border zebra Ficcare maximas pair
7. Border black pearl Ficcare maximas
8. Lotus burgundy Ficcare maximas
9. Lotus 2-tone gold Ficcare maximas
10. Lotus Royal blue Ficcare maximas

Most of the Ficcare are singles, but I've reserved a couple duplicates to wear as a pair.
Picture tomorrow afternoon. This is going to be a crazy challenge for me.

CurlyCap
February 17th, 2015, 01:35 AM
I'm gonna hang around here and learn a bit.

I'm a terrible LHC-er. My preferred style is a giant cinnabun knot. I tend to wear my hair toys at home because then I don't have to worry about them getting lost.

Knots and bobby pins. But if someone limited me to 10 bobby pins....lol....I could prolly still rock it.

Anyway, gonna sit back and watch.

Quasiquixotic
February 17th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Yay Izzy! I'm so impressed you could pick single Ficcare. I was ready to let you pick pairs (not nesecarialy matched) for all of them. But I also love that you've challenged yourself here too.

Lol curly cap! No, I would think pins count as 1 toy.

Chen, so very true :)

rags
February 17th, 2015, 09:10 AM
So, do elastics count? I can't braid at the moment, but sometimes DD will braid my hair for me.

I'm still considering this (read, I'm a chicken!! LOL).

Quasiquixotic
February 17th, 2015, 09:13 AM
No :wink:

^quality post

rags
February 17th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I didn't think so, but just checking! LOL.

It's very hard for me because there are days that, out of the blue, for no reason I can discern, my hair wants only ONE type of toy - like Ketylos or 60th Street, or Ficcare. Since Ficcare is my fail-safe, I guess i can just make sure I have a few of them picked- but, but, but......dang it. I may have to try it now. It seems too hard, which means I may have to try. LOL.

Are we doing pics here like on the WEO thread?

And whoever said they used forks with hats - please I'd like to know your secret! I can do Ficcares and Flexi's with hats. Neither forks nor sticks work for me.

Quasiquixotic
February 17th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Well this challenge has lead to some destashing for me. Post to come this weekend.

Cania
February 17th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Well this challenge has lead to some destashing for me. Post to come this weekend.

*sweats nervously*

https://31.media.tumblr.com/699abd2bee864a7251870420128eca0b/tumblr_inline_njwcv703NE1r5q3xq.png

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 02:59 PM

My wallet is already flinching for the blow, there have been some lovely, lovely pieces on the swap board of late. I have valiantly not hit the send pm button, so far......

Hele
February 17th, 2015, 03:28 PM
i love how everyone's been destashing lately, i've been keeping an eye out! I don't think i'm capable of the minimalist approach though i applaud those of you who can do it, i'm stuck in a cycle of finding things that work great that i then outgrow in a few months and then finding a new thing to replace it, rinse and repeat (so yeah, the minimalist thing would probably be great for me, haha). I like switching around between different things throughout the day, and i go through spells where my hair only likes one thing, and there's so many pretty colors, and look a sparkly thing, and and and etc. I'll probably be unofficially doing this challenge in another month, my things will all be packed up for a major move. I'm sad just thinking about it (says the certified hair toy hoarder)! :) But again, i'm very happy for those of you who can do this!

rags
February 17th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Well,I'm safe from Quasi's de stash as her stuff is usually too big for me. :p

Hele, oh if I de stashed half my toys I'd still have waaaay more than I needed. And I'm not going to do that, so I'm right there with you. This is my collection, it's a hobby, and I really don't care if all my things don't get worn as often (now if they don't get worn at ALL then they can go).

I'm mainly considering it for the pure challenge of it. I think it will drive me mad. LOL.

Hele
February 17th, 2015, 05:50 PM
^^i think the one thing that saves me is that i have too much hair for most of the hair toys. I'm afraid to even think about how much i'd have otherwise! And i do view my TT collection as a hobby, though again i'm limited by length requirements. The other things i collect don't cost me much and i'm a dedicated thrift shopper, so therefore i'm free to collect pretty (expensive) sticks! As i always say, my hair has nicer things than the rest of me. (okay, i'll stop, i'm not keeping with the spirit of the thread :) )

Quasiquixotic
February 17th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I just pm'd you Hele. :flasher:

And that is how I view tusks and Ficcare. Collection. Like Pokemon.

lunasea
February 17th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Not a chance I could do this. In the words of the immortal Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!" When I got seriously ill I learned that today might be all I have. I want to be able to wear whatever toy I want whenever I want- no matter how infrequently that might be. That's just me though. There are so many things in my life I have to exercise restraint about. I'm pretty darn happy that hairtoys aren't one of them. :silly:

rags
February 17th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Not a chance I could do this. In the words of the immortal Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!" When I got seriously ill I learned that today might be all I have. I want to be able to wear whatever toy I want whenever I want- no matter how infrequently that might be. That's just me though. There are so many things in my life I have to exercise restraint about. I'm pretty darn happy that hairtoys aren't one of them. :silly:

I could have written this - right down to the seriously ill part. My attitude exactly, Lunasea!

However, I'm still considering this challenge simply to see if I can do it. It's only a month, I keep telling myself. :p. Self, however,appears to be in a corner clutching tightly to all the hairtoys at the mment! :lol:

slynr
February 17th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Lunasea, I totally agree with your sentiment. Now I have been trying to pass on things I cannot wear because they don't stay in my hair or pieces that are virtual duplicates of the same piece. Otherwise... let them eat cake!!!

Hele
February 17th, 2015, 06:25 PM
^^perhaps some of us need a "Hair toy hoarder and proud of it!" thread.....

and Quasi i got your PM...:thud:

lunasea
February 17th, 2015, 07:16 PM
I totally agree with the get rid of things that don't work part. There are a few things I've given up because no amount of denial will allow me to believe that I will ever have the ninja hair required to make them work. And I've gotten rid of things that I really don't like. I've also slowed buying considerably because I now have most of what I want. But, gosh darn it, if I have it I'm gonna wear it if I'm in the mood.

Quasiquixotic
February 17th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Lol. I like this discussion. I have quite a large destash coming. And while I agree with all of my fellow hoarders here, This destash is motivated by my realization that I'd rather have tusks. I have LOTS of beautiful things. But I know I'm going to reach for a tusk. And if not that, maybe a Ficcare. And if not either of those it's probaby an acrylic tusk I carved for myself.

So why not pass these along and buy all the tusks? And no it's not everything, but it's between 1/3-1/4 of my collection. Swap is going to be swamped. I'll probably need to go slow.

Quasiquixotic
February 18th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Are we doing pics here like on the WEO thread?

Which would you prefer? There are only 10 toys to show off, and I can only do a disc bun to last all day. But I do love photos. Maybe a photo when you wear a new to the thread toy out of your ten? I donno. Checking in could just be:

"My xxxx arrived today and I can't wear it because of this stupid challenge quasi started. Why did I join? I miss my toys. I'm earing the Ebony tusk again today."

Or maybe something more cheerful and a photo. I leave it to you lovely ladies :)

Cania
February 18th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I feel quite spiritually burdened with too many things. It makes me feel heavy, I'm not quite sure how to explain it... it just makes me feel like my priorities are misaligned, almost? I tend to reach a point where I look at my things and think, what benefit does this really bring me? The only exception for me is instruments and books. DBF and I probably have too many but I am attached to the expression or the activity, not the object itself. Er... I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all.

Not that I'm implying a destash makes a person spiritually superior! That's just how it impacts me personally. If owning lovely hair art makes you happy then you should definitely not deprive yourself joy ^_^ I definitely enjoy shopping (like yesterdays ficcares), I just have to be careful I don't hoard since it is no good for me.

schnibbles
February 18th, 2015, 07:33 AM
*sweats nervously*

https://31.media.tumblr.com/699abd2bee864a7251870420128eca0b/tumblr_inline_njwcv703NE1r5q3xq.png

:laugh:

My wallet is already flinching for the blow, there have been some lovely, lovely pieces on the swap board of late. I have valiantly not hit the send pm button, so far......

This Quasi Destash already has me kind of scared :uhh: Will my paypal account actually explode? Or maybe it will implode .. a little puff of smoke, dying quietly? Quasi has insanely superb taste. A few of my top favorite items are ones I have bought from her.

Up until now I was able to keep my stash to under 50 things. (and I can think of at least 5 things right now that I'd like to sell. I am on the customs list at 2 places right now too. So to keep it at 50 some things will have to go)

I don't think I'm ready for a challenge like this one. But I'll think about it some more.

Hele
February 18th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Not that I'm implying a destash makes a person spiritually superior! That's just how it impacts me personally. If owning lovely hair art makes you happy then you should definitely not deprive yourself joy ^_^ I definitely enjoy shopping (like yesterdays ficcares), I just have to be careful I don't hoard since it is no good for me.

my TT collection (for example, i'm going with my priciest things here) makes me quite happy and i like that i'm actually spending money on myself. I wasn't allowed to have anything nice growing up and i possess the cheap gene, which kinda works since i really love thrift shopping. I'm the type that buys food in bulk, wears a jacket around the house to keep the heat cost down, cuts the toothpaste tube in half so i can get the last little bit out, and buys a cheapo economy car, even though i make good money and don't have to live that way. I have a ton of books but again, they're all finds. To me TTs (and other hair toys) are my one indulgence, and proof that i've done well enough in life that i can get things like that. I'm really not into jewelry, spas, or new clothes, so hair toys it is! :)

i am though trying to cull out anything i can no longer use or that doesn't work as well as it used to. I'm having a struggle right now with parting with GTS mermaids and my last two Jeters, and a couple shorter TTs. I'm getting there, slowly....

chen bao jun
February 18th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I don't think there's one right way to go with this. So long as you have the space and are not in debt (very important) and you feel comfortable with it, and you want them, buy all the hairtoys you want. ON the other hand, if you are a minimalist, you wont/cant do this. Some people get a cluttery feeling when there are too many 'things' in their life. Others get a cosy feeling from being surrounded by objects they love. The only problem I see is, they usually marry each other...

I'm not good at getting rid of things, I'm a stasher so I try not to buy over a certain amount for practical reasons. Like, my floors not collapsing. But I fail with certain things, like my books.

when Quasi has a destash I am going to have to hide in my closet until its over...the temptations will be way too much.

Stellaaa
February 18th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I don't think there's one right way to go with this. So long as you have the space and are not in debt (very important) and you feel comfortable with it, and you want them, buy all the hairtoys you want. ON the other hand, if you are a minimalist, you wont/cant do this. Some people get a cluttery feeling when there are too many 'things' in their life. Others get a cosy feeling from being surrounded by objects they love. The only problem I see is, they usually marry each other...

I'm not good at getting rid of things, I'm a stasher so I try not to buy over a certain amount for practical reasons. Like, my floors not collapsing. But I fail with certain things, like my books.

when Quasi has a destash I am going to have to hide in my closet until its over...the temptations will be way too much.

Maybe you know DH and I in real life? (I love my cozy clutter, he seems to prefer empty rooms :confused:...)

I'm loving the discussion on this thread too. I'm tempted to join, but it's just too easy for me. I like to wear the same things over and over. And over. When I was a little kid I used to embarrass my mother by rejecting my brand new (expensive) shoes and wearing flip flops with holes in the soles :lol: I think I may have worn 5 different hairtoys in the month of January. Not because I don't have any hairtoys, either. I should do the WEO challenge - now THAT would be a challenge. Too much of one. And I'm very lazy. This challenge suits me much betterl :)

Stellaaa
February 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Oops. Double post.

Here's my dog when he was a pup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/D221C5C8-81D5-43ED-A390-F3EDDF25900A_zpshkvokzzw.jpg

Willowyn
February 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I totally agree with the get rid of things that don't work part. There are a few things I've given up because no amount of denial will allow me to believe that I will ever have the ninja hair required to make them work. And I've gotten rid of things that I really don't like. I've also slowed buying considerably because I now have most of what I want. But, gosh darn it, if I have it I'm gonna wear it if I'm in the mood.

What a cool thread. But I think I'll watch instead of playing. Lunasea, you and Rags (whose hair decides almost daily what type of hairtoy is and is not going to work) are speaking my language. I like the freedom to choose every day. This morning I was admiring an old TT that I have and love, and I realized that I only wear it about once a year. There are more than a few items like that in my collection. But there are other things - like LIs for wet hair, a few of my Ficcares, and my now-curated collection of easy-to-wear forks (swap board posting soon) - that are worn all the time. To me, that's totally OK.

ETA: What an ADORABLE PUPPY!!!

Stellaaa
February 19th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the puppy love, Willowyn.

And I'm convinced by yours, rags' and lunasea's wisdom.. I may wear the same thing every day (because I WANT to), but if I actually feel cheerful and energetic enough to wear 10 different toys in one day, and 10 different ones the next, well, dammit, life is too short not to!

Carolyn
February 19th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Is a destash sale required? I have no problem selecting 10 toys and rotating them for a month but I can only think of one thing that I know doesn't work for me and probably never will. I don't plan to get rid of it because you never know. I take a limited number of things with me when I go visit my son. I think I take more than 10 but I could easily limit it to 10. We are gone 2-3 weeks when we go visit him. Hair toys take up so little room and can easily be put away and out of sight. So I don't see a clutter problem. Hair toys don't take up room like shoes or bags or yarn :gabigrin: I'll be glad to play. But I have one question. Do you have to use one hair elastic the whole month? I'm sure I would wear it out if I only used one. So do I need to choose 2 elastics and 8 real toys?

Quasiquixotic
February 19th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Oh absolutely not. This is just a challenge, not a purging. I'm just in that head space, so that's what I'm doing.

No, I think hairties and pins don't count, unless you use them alone for a style. And then I don't think you have to limit them. So all the hairless you have count as one. But like a hairtie to secure a braid, and then bun the braid with a fork, that hair tie doesn't count. Or if you need a spin pin to make your moon work, that's fine as well.

Does this make sense?

Taenarian
February 20th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Survival mode: wound ip carrying five hairsticks (one matched pair) and a slide barrette for the next three weeks. Unless I buy a toy here, that's the score!

Quasiquixotic
February 23rd, 2015, 07:55 AM
oi, so I have 4 tusks headed to me soon. Chances are good they will arrive in March :doh:. Do I include some of them in my 10 and then have to wait for their arrival or do I go with what I already have here and not get to wear them until April?!?

I've made this hard for myself...

Willowyn
February 23rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Laughing.............
:rollin:

Quasiquixotic
February 23rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
I know right! Me too.

Willowyn
February 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM
I was laughing, but I feel your pain. Last week, after some minor destashing, I took group pics of my non-Ficcare hairtoys. My Ficcare clips are on a wall display so it's easy to snap a pic of them from time to time as the collection evolves, but with the others it's so time-consuming to get them out of their jars and squirreled-away travel and beach bags and lay them out neatly in good lighting, yada yada. SO, I figure this means I'm now COMMITTED to what is there and NOT ACQUIRING ANY MORE. So far so good!! It's been a whole week, I don't have any more (or less) sticks or forks, and (this is probably the important part), I actually feel a bit less tempted.

As for your question, I think you'll appreciate the four new tusks even more if you don't include them and wait till April to enjoy them. It might even help avoid additional purchases (IF that is a goal.)

Quasiquixotic
February 26th, 2015, 02:40 PM
So we are getting close to March 1st. Everyone have their 10 ready?

two_wheels
February 26th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I keep changing my mind! I think I'm gonna just choose them on a whim then regret it for 31 days

pastina
February 26th, 2015, 02:47 PM
lol, two_wheels. quasi, did you pick your ten?

Quasiquixotic
February 26th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Not a chance! I will also be like my twin. I have so many things set to arrive in the next week or so. :justy:!! What a happy April it will be ;)

pastina
February 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
yeah i know what you mean. my husband came home from work with THREE packages for me. oooooops.

rags
February 26th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I'm still deciding whether or not to DO the challenge. :p. I'm leaning towards observing.......

i just realized that my rationale for this is that life is too hectic right now to bother. But this is supposed to simplify things!

If only I knew I'd picked toys my hair would work with all month I'd be fine, it's picking that's getting me.

Quasiquixotic
February 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Okay, it was tough, but I think this is my 10:

Beater Ficcare
Small Gold Leopard
Medium White Leopard

Eucalyptus Mermaid

Jobillo TT pair

LV and Silky Oak AT
Redheart AT

-toys to arrive soon, but I don't yet have-

Wenge Nefertiti Isis hybrid tusk
Indigo Dragon Talon

Miami Sunset ONN pair - should arrive before March, I don't know if I can get to my PO Box before then, however. Lots of snow on the horizon this weekend.

I'll sit with those in my head for a day or two and see if I want to make any changes. I'll post a photo when I have them all together.

Willowyn
February 26th, 2015, 08:21 PM
It must be wonderful to be anticipating something called "Miami Sunset" when we're buried with snow.

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I just went away for a week and tried to be minimalist. I brought

Medium tortoise border ficarrisimo
black mist lady idun
Bella twilight wedding comb knockoff from breaking dawn, shown in siggy below (I love this comb. It's so art deco)
some Bobby pins (to pin braids to hold the comb)
Black 5 inch ketylo
some teeny tiny claw clips to hold crown braid up, I mean teeny, like maybe 1/4 inch if not smaller

I managed fine, although I wished I had brought some spin pins
I was able to accessorize nicely for evening
I missed my collection and kept thinking of the more imaginative things I own. I was wearing mostly black and white so everything went welland the comb worked great for the evening but I felt even more how much I wouldn't like to be limited to ten for a whole month. You guys have a worthy goal, I don't mean to b d discouraging, but that's just me.

Quasiquixotic
February 28th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Chen, that is kind of exactly my hope for this month. Either I'll come out the other side missing my collection and hopefully be more at peace with it's size. Or I won't miss them or I'll just miss some specific additional items and I'll more easily see the wheat from the chaff.

two_wheels
February 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I think this is where I'm at:
http://i.imgur.com/Yjcv8vpl.jpg
Edit to say what they are! Lots of them are from wonderful members here.
Clockwise from the giant comb:
1. Simplistic designs giant comb for when hair is being naughty and needs to be told who's boss
2. Black border ficcare from lovely Aaroo
3. Emerald ficcare
4. Pink primavera from lovely Quasi
5. Green primavera from lovely Earthybee
6. Lace/sparkles ficcare mod from Seeshami's shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/theangelbead)
7. Mint lady idun from Morganaa, this was my unicorn LI, she didn't have to offer it to me, but she did because she's a total sweetie
8. Cultmate mysteryflexi
9. Quattro U pins, again for naughtyhair
10. Peach lady idun from lovely Kitten

Quasiquixotic
February 28th, 2015, 02:57 PM
lovely Twin!

So this is where I'm at, no ONNs in the mail today, so I swapped in my corian ketylos and the Olive LI for the eucalyptus mermaid.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_0837_zpsngzndhqh.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_0837_zpsngzndhqh.jpg.html)

Missing are the Indigo Dragon Talon and Wenge Nefertiti/Isis hybrid Tusk, Kimi said she will mail on Monday.

rags
February 28th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I think I've decided just to watch, probably (I reserve the right to change my mind all the way until tomorrow. Indecisive people unite! Or maybe it would be better if we don't........:p )

Anyway, what Quasi said resonated STRONGLY with me from doing the WEO challenge. I really, really, missed my collection and being able to just go pick whatever I wanted. I am (mostly) at peace with the size of it, so I think i'll pass on this challenge.

For now anyway. :lol:

Two_wheels, gorgeous choices!

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2015, 03:22 PM
gorgeous choices both of you

Willowyn
February 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Such fun to watch. I could only play if I was allowed to pick a different group every WEEK.

Quasiquixotic
February 28th, 2015, 03:48 PM
hmm, we could try that next willowyn. How many would you want for a week?

Willowyn
February 28th, 2015, 04:23 PM
You are nuts, you know that???
Seriously, I can't do that right now. Maybe in a few months. For now I'm really happy to just visit out here.

slynr
February 28th, 2015, 05:00 PM
You are nuts, you know that???
Seriously, I can't do that right now. Maybe in a few months. For now I'm really happy to just visit out here.

Honestly...it's just because you don't want to admit to needing a minimum of 14 toys a week, yes????:henny::misskim::gabigrin:

rags
February 28th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Oh, I could do a week! I could do three for a week - as long as I had one Ficcare, one stick, and one fork I'd be ok. Yep. For a week. I just don't wanna for a MONTH! :p

Willowyn
February 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Me too. I could do that. I just don't WANT to.
So little time.
So many hairtoys.

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I hate to admit it but sometimes I change hairtoys 3 x a day not because my hair slips out (it doesn't ). But just because...

My mom used to bathe me and my sister and change our clothes several times a day when we were little. I guess I got used to being decorated. She used to play with my hair too, twirl curls into it...it was a nice time of my life. I felt loved. Then my brothers were born and she had 4 kids and went to work and had no time and got bad tempered and everything was a hassle and she got so impatient. From enjoying playing with my hair, she went to rough brushing and complaining and saying it was trouble some and finally to having it straightened with a hot comb, which I HATED. Do you think I have issues? Trying to recapture my childhood. Or something like that? maybe so...bUT changing hair toys is so much fun...

Quasiquixotic
February 28th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Chen I do this too. I change my toy regularly. I think I wore 5 today. Hugs

With that in mind, I've changed my 10. I decided that group was too brown and green. I'll post another photo tomorrow. But I think I'm going to swap in my red heart tusk for the LV. And maybe a few others to add some more color.

:)

chen bao jun
February 28th, 2015, 10:17 PM
More color is a great thing. I was bored on my trip partly because everything was black or brown, except for the comb. Besides not being able to change up toys. Since coming back I've been wanting to buy everything I've seen on the forum today. Doesn't help that ketylo has a sale, Either

two_wheels
March 1st, 2015, 06:46 AM
So this has started well.... Today I really wanted to wear my opal silky ficcare :D
Mint lady Idun it is!

Quasiquixotic
March 1st, 2015, 08:54 AM
Aww. I feel you on that one :)

I decided in these last night before bed:

Bearer ficcare
Gold leo
Aqua lotus

Redheart AT
cocobolo NT
Wenge - ETA Thursday
Indigo - ETA Thursday

Olive LI
Jobillo TT pair
Miami Sunset ONN pair - ETA unknown.

Redheart AT in my hair.

Quasiquixotic
March 2nd, 2015, 08:59 AM
So yesterday I wore the RedHeart AT before I washed my hair and then my gold leopard ficcare.

Today I'm wearing the cocobolo NT. I mainly picked this one because I'm not sure it matches my hair very well. I wanted a month to live with it and see if I care. I think it's really beautiful and I love the size. I can't help wishing it was a different wood, just because I don't think it works in my hair.

Here is an example:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_0923_zpse2n5hu6s.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_0923_zpse2n5hu6s.jpg.html)

What do you all think?

two_wheels
March 2nd, 2015, 09:13 AM
I'm inclined to agree. I adore cocobolo and can't do it either.
Today I would have reached for my turquoise multistripe ficcare but went for the pink one instead :) I am trying to record what I would reach for so that I can see which things I really can't live without...

Aleahcim
March 2nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
It looks like it's a pretty toy, and your plan sounds like a really solid one. Your detaching should leave you with the best of the best, with the toys you *love*
Perhaps by the end of the month and you are still not in love with the wood you can try for a swap for a similar toy in a different Colour. Or sell it and use those funds to buy/custom a new one in a wood you'd love more.

Quasiquixotic
March 2nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
thanks all!

I don't think it's for me. I'll find a new home for it (trade) and depending one what we decide here, end out the month with 9. Or what I trade for becomes part of my 10.

What do you think?

two_wheels
March 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
The teeth on a ficcare that's one of my 10 have detached so I am 1 down too.
Some behind-the-scenes deliberating led to...
we pick another :D :D :D

Quasiquixotic
March 2nd, 2015, 09:41 AM
hee! I love it :)

two_wheels
March 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
COME TO ME MY SWEET TIMBERANGEL, HOW COULD I HAVE NEGLECTED YOU SO?
umm so yeah I'm off sick today and may have lost the plot slightly
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/timberstone_paua_zpsecfqtvsq.jpg

Quasiquixotic
March 2nd, 2015, 07:25 PM
Beautiful!

So i wore the cocobolo NT, even though I don't think it suits, for most of the day. Until I got home from the Post Office. My ONN order arrived. Miami Sunset for the sunset ;)

Aleahcim
March 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM
Action pic Quasi!

Quasiquixotic
March 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
lol, okay, I'll try to get a non blurry photo of them today.

I chose the olive water LI when I woke up this morning.

I'm a little surprised to say that I'm not finding this hard. The choosing was hard, but I'm not really missing my other things. I'm not sure what that means for my collection...

two_wheels
March 3rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
I'm finding it hard.
Again I wanted to wear the turquoise multistripe. But I'm wearing the pretty lace/sparkly ficcare instead and it makes me smile.
This could just be hard because I'm off sick for a second day in a row and wearing the same clothes because I'm a skank. Hence the two days in a row wanting to wear the clip I can't have.

Quasiquixotic
March 3rd, 2015, 08:16 AM
:grouphug:

I'm sorry honey!

Sounds like that turquoise is a key piece for you, good to know!

two_wheels
March 3rd, 2015, 08:20 AM
I mean really, having something to match every single thing I wear, then deciding to restrict myself for a month because I might have too many... it's a nice problem to have!

Quasiquixotic
March 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
Miami Sunset :cloud9:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_1134_zps5y4rse33.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_1134_zps5y4rse33.jpg.html)

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 09:12 AM
I will be joining you soon ladies!! Not that I have that many toys but because I put a lot of work into something and i am going to wear it till i am sick of it. To be unveiled tomorrow or the day after!!

two_wheels
March 3rd, 2015, 09:15 AM
:popcorn:
I think I've read about this one...... :)

Aleahcim
March 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
Quasi those are Stunning!! *drools*

Seeshami
March 3rd, 2015, 09:47 AM
:popcorn:
I think I've read about this one...... :)

I am so excited I did a hair test today just to see if I could skip some layers of resin and NOPE. Mess and this clip will love each other long time because both are jerks

Stormynights
March 3rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
I have been doing my own version of this challenge. I don't have a huge collection but I have a tendency to wear the same things over and over. I pick out 3 items that I don't reach for that often and use only those for the whole week. I am on my third week now and I am starting to really love some things that I wasn't using so much.

Quasiquixotic
March 3rd, 2015, 11:15 AM
that's wonderful stormy!

ETA: I'm trading out my NT tusk, I traded away the cocobolo one. I'm added in my spalted maple and dinobone one. It's a bit big for my bun at the moment, but eh, I'm going to run with it.

Kimi shipping my tusks today, so I'll post my 10 photo when I get them.

Quasiquixotic
March 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM
Okay okay, I took a photo, this is my NT

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_1217_zpsezswdmyl.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_1217_zpsezswdmyl.jpg.html)

Quasiquixotic
March 4th, 2015, 01:25 PM
So today I'm wearing my red heart Tusk.

Tracking says my tusks should arrive friday, sometimes my packages beat their eta by a day....we shall see :)

Seeshami
March 4th, 2015, 09:06 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA I shall wear only this for days. Possibly weeks. There is a lot of blood sweat and tears in that resin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/baa753b3-0a3d-43c1-ae1e-7fe805a0f739_zpsr6fjw8iw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/baa753b3-0a3d-43c1-ae1e-7fe805a0f739_zpsr6fjw8iw.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/96dd73b1-8b1f-451f-823b-9583db80a219_zpsa9gbkc73.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/96dd73b1-8b1f-451f-823b-9583db80a219_zpsa9gbkc73.jpg.html)

Morganaa
March 5th, 2015, 04:19 AM
two_wheels, super fancy!

I love those miami sunset pair in your hair Quasi, so pretty! And that spalted maple suits you so well. I can't breath again, I need to see your wenge, come quickly LOL

Seeshami, this sure is amazing :applause

I have not joined this challenge because I'm currently going through the ficcare pearlized collection + my LI and TT luck lately, my various ATs customs and now the lotus are coming soon so I'm more on a WEO without pressure... My good luck has been the death of my wallet which is bravely trying to recover while looking anxiously at the new Ficcares arrival... Mouhahaha

two_wheels
March 5th, 2015, 03:47 PM
seeshami, I said it already but :agape:

Um. Confession time. I am a very scatty person, and the way I operate with hairtoys is that at any one time there will be three or four floating around in limbo, not lost as such, secreted somewhere in my flat or my handbag or the fridge or something. This doesn't go very well with this challenge when at 6am I need to find one of the four ficcares I'm allowed to wear and NONE of them are there....

Yeah. I cheated. Bad two_wheels. It wasn't out of wanting something new though, just out of desperation!

shudder::whip:

Islandgrrl
March 6th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I still owe a picture of the hairtoys, which will have to wait until tonight, but here is my progress thus far:

March 1: Willowthewisp fork.
March 2: border Leo brown and border caramel Ficcares.
March 3: lotus burgundy and lotus Royal blue Ficcare's
March 4: lotus 2-tone gold and lotus olivine Ficcares.
March 5: the superclip pair.
March 6: border zebra and border black pearl Ficcares.

This is already crazy. I don't know how I'm going to make it an entire month.

I think I've narrowed it down.

1. Big red willowthewisp hair fork
2. lite blonde Ficcare Superclip pair
3. Border leopard brown Ficcare maximas
4. Border caramel Ficcare maximas
5. Lotus olivine Ficcare maximas
6. Border zebra Ficcare maximas pair
7. Border black pearl Ficcare maximas
8. Lotus burgundy Ficcare maximas
9. Lotus 2-tone gold Ficcare maximas
10. Lotus Royal blue Ficcare maximas

Most of the Ficcare are singles, but I've reserved a couple duplicates to wear as a pair.
Picture tomorrow afternoon. This is going to be a crazy challenge for me.

Quasiquixotic
March 6th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Wow Seeshami, just lovely!

Izzy hi again :waving: I'm so impressed you didn't pick pairs of ficcare for all your ficcare picks!!

Yesterday was the first day I had regret. I got an amazing pair of forks in the mail from Izzy and wow do I love them! Le Sigh!! I was good though, I mostly wore my mega NT again, and switched to my TT pair for the evening.

Today I dusted off my aqua lotus :cloud9:!

Quasiquixotic
March 7th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Today is Jobillo TT day ;)

And because this thread is feeling photo light here is one of the pair I took a while ago, but I absolutely adore!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_0341_zpsixwigjtr.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_0341_zpsixwigjtr.jpg.html)

No GTS package yet, which is quite sad. Tracking says it hasn't moved since 1 am on March 4th. I've been calling the PO and they are tracking it down. Keep your fingers crossed for me for Monday. :pray:

:heartbeat

Aleahcim
March 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM
There are actually TT pairs out there? :agape:

Or is this pair more of two lucky finds that work perfectly together?

Either way, that's amazing.

Quasiquixotic
March 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM
More of a lucky find and watching the shop like a hawk. They are about 1/8" off in size, but both 6" and perfect in my opinion. Ya, know if you want a pair of sticks that cost roughly $120 :nono:

Aleahcim
March 7th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah they do look great. the chances of the sticks matching so perfectly must be low.

But what a heft price tag. That would be in USD so the price tag would be even more in CAN. Woah.

Quasiquixotic
March 7th, 2015, 09:55 AM
yeah, defiantly a luxury thing, and perhaps frivolous given I could get a tusk for that. Or a ficcare or two, depending on which one.

At the moment I love them, but I think Feyritail can do something pretty similar for a fraction of that price.

Aleahcim
March 7th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Feyritail was a maker I favourited on Etsy before of good reviews I saw on here. The shop has been empty so I don't have much of an idea of what their toys are like (I look at etsy on my phone and it does not show sold items)

Quasiquixotic
March 7th, 2015, 10:32 AM
There is a maker thread for her. The shape is similar but different to TTs. There should be photos there.

two_wheels
March 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Feyritail is fabulous, Aleahcim.

Ok I officially suck at this challenge. What I have learnt about myself is that there is a really good reason I own 1000000 flexis and ficcare. It's because at any given time I have 3 in my handbag, 3 on my desk and others scattered around the house for me to pick up and shove in my hair when it needs putting away.

This strategy does not work when you are limited to 10 toys!

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh um so I went out with wet hair and then used the flexi in my handbag.

Sorry :(

Islandgrrl
March 7th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Today was the lotus gold and burgundy Ficcares. I did a ton of garden work today and my hair stayed firmly where it belonged, thank goodness.

I have to be honest. I don't like this challenge. I failed to take into account the fact that not all of my activities are hairtoy safe (get your mind out of the gutter this instant!). Ordinarily, for yard work or any other activity that might result in damage to hairtoys, I wear a couple of plain metal Ficcare. As in matte silver and matte gold. They are easily replaceable if they get damaged. I didn't include either of them in my challenge. So. :(

Quasiquixotic
March 8th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Aww. This is a hard challenge. I'm sorry ladies!

two_wheels
March 8th, 2015, 10:02 AM
I think it's good. It's persuading me that I am not weird for having 10000000 flexis. I "need" them

Quasiquixotic
March 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'm sad today as well, because I'be gotten some very pretty things in the mail and I can wear them. And my GTS box is missing. I'm sure it will be found, I've only had one packages really go missing such that I have to file something with the Post Office. I'm just impatient.

Islandgrrl
March 9th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Saturday was superclip pair.
Yesterday was the big red willowthewisp fork.
Today will be border caramel and border brown Leo.

Is it April yet?

Quasiquixotic
March 9th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Aww ladies, I'm sorry I came up with the worst least fun challenge ever.

My tusks came in today. Here is my 10. I started with the Miami Sunset pair, but switched to the Wenge as soon as I opened the box.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_1804_zpsby9ftcvt.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_1804_zpsby9ftcvt.jpg.html)

Aleahcim
March 9th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Oh cool! I just asked for a shot of the talon in the other thread then I came here to find one included in this challenge! The silliest is very interesting. What a statement piece.

chen bao jun
March 9th, 2015, 02:55 PM
No, Quasi don't feel sorry, its so educational.
I wouldn't enjoy taking it but I so enjoy reading it and then NOT feeling guilty that I have 70+ hairtoys.

Plus I see your beautiful toys.

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Today I'm wearing the superclip pair.

Only 3 weeks left. Why am I doing this again?

Quasiquixotic
March 10th, 2015, 11:32 AM
because you can? its seem feeble now...

Morganaa
March 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Oh Quasi! I thought it was an awesome idea and would have participated if not for all my customs arriving at the same time ^^" I think, or at least it's how I thought about your idea, that the interest was to try new hairstyles, to think outside the box and out of the comfort zone by doing the challenge and having the limitation number... with a little imagination and more pics this thread has the potential to be EPIC :popcorn:

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Would y'all think poorly of me if I abandoned this challenge because it's not any fun...and because I don't really see a valid reason to stop wearing pretties I love to wear.....and because I don't really need to get rid of anything...and, well, because this is boring?

because you can? its seem feeble now...

two_wheels
March 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I think I might modify it to see what I cheat with :D So I know that those things are not for destashing even though I perceive them as being non-top-priority.
So far
- small silver primavera
- blue flexi
- turquoise multistripe
(pics this weekend)

Quasiquixotic
March 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
nope not at all Izzy :)

good idea TW

Stormynights
March 10th, 2015, 05:03 PM
What if everyone makes up their own personal challenge? I am doing my own and it seems to be working for me. I put 3 things I don't wear often with my sleep fork and my acrylic I use in wet hair for wash day. I wear those for a week. This way I can find out for sure why I don't wear those things very often. I can use my sleep fork for a beater fork. I just have to wear those less used 3 things over and over. I don't mean that my personal challenge would work for anyone else, but I think you can figure out a personal challenge that will work for you.

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Would y'all think poorly of me if I abandoned this challenge because it's not any fun...and because I don't really see a valid reason to stop wearing pretties I love to wear.....and because I don't really need to get rid of anything...and, well, because this is boring?

We will forgive you if you wear your double ficcare hairstyles again and show them to us. :)
(You're better than me, at least you tried.)

QMacrocarpa
April 2nd, 2015, 08:16 AM
I joined the challenge a bit late so I still have a few days to go, but it's been a good experience for me. The challenge I started with was to limit myself to hairpins (of any type) for the month. I cracked a bit in the first week or so and added a couple hairsticks (5" and 6" identical sawn-off chopsticks) and a couple Ficcare-type clips. That modified challenge proved to be a plan I could stick with.

I discovered that one reason I usually don't use hairpins much is because I've been keeping them in a closed tin in my hair-stuff drawer, so I don't see them, and there's just that extra little step to get to them, versus a grab-&-go Fakkare or what-have-you. What with using them most days, opening the tin became a noticeable hassle, so now I leave the tin open in the drawer (not very earthshaking, I know).

My challenge also led me to discover a horizontal log roll variant (I call it the lazy log roll) that I will probably add to my regular updo rotation, so I'm pleased about that.

I'm looking forward to adding a few more hairtoys back into regular use, but I think I may keep some items "in reserve" and rotate a few items in and out each month or so. I enjoy novelty, but I don't want to possess a huge inventory of hair accessories, so taking breaks from different items and then having the fun of getting re-acquainted with them might help me avoid getting to the point where I'm putting my hair up with "gazingus pins".:)

ETA: One more benefit of my challenge was that it inspired me to try to improve the double-pointed knitting-needle hairpins I made a while back, which always tried to back out of my hair, so I didn't use them. I added "waist" bends to them to make them more hourglass-shaped, and that has improved their hold a lot!

chen bao jun
April 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I'd love to see those double pointed knitting needle modifications.

QMacrocarpa
April 8th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Ack, I would link to the photo I just took, but it seems it's been quite a while since I logged into flickr, and now I can't access my account there (though it still exists, I can see my old photos). So, I will try to describe the change I made to my knitting needle hairpins. Originally, I just bent them in the middle, so that the two legs were parallel to each other. To improve the hold, I added an extra bend on each leg, a bit closer to the points than to the curve. Now each leg angles a bit toward the other and then a bit away at the points. It's slightly like the Goody modern updo pin (http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair_Accessories/Simple_Styles_Modern_Updo), though without the curve in the third dimension to follow the shape of the head, and with the bend not as close to the tips.

So previously the legs of each pin were parallel like this:

| |
| |

And now they're more like this:

\ /
/ \

If/when I can get back into flickr without having to create a new account I'll link to a photo.

QMacrocarpa
April 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM
My Flickr account is apparently permanently entombed, so on to Photobucket! Here are the pins, with GHD pin and ruler marked in inches for scale:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o758/QMacrocarpa/dpn_hairpins_zpsd7vdf1dh.jpg

TheBlondeApple
April 19th, 2015, 11:59 AM
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_1804_zpsby9ftcvt.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_1804_zpsby9ftcvt.jpg.html)

Nothing to do with this challenge, but could I see more photos of the blue thing, please?
Anja