PDA

View Full Version : Heatless waves topic

lapushka
February 14th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Share your tips and tricks for heatless waves in this topic!

I found this video yesterday, and thought it was such a weird but cool method. She uses a t-shirt "halo" on the top of her head. Doesn't differ that much from headband curls, but it's slightly different and gives you "bigger" waves/curls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Mo0XCeJqw

rina06
February 14th, 2015, 05:33 AM
I was about to mention headband curls!
When I had longer hair I would gather it all in a ponytail not too high or low and while wet I would twist it into a spiral and then scrunch upwards + leave it like that overnight. Did the trick and I miss it heaps!

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 14th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I have wavy hair anyway but I've definitely found that just sleeping in a braid or bun every night makes the pattern much more pronounced/uniform. Rain and wind also make my hair a tiny bit curly. If all else fails, making a damp braid and leaving it in until it dries always does the trick for better waves.

Rebecka
February 14th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I will definitely try this tonight, thanks for sharing. I've done with normal thin hair band before and it gave some nice spirals :)

Upside Down
February 14th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Subscribing! As soon as I can un-babyproof my hair I want to try waves. So far I have managed to get my curls into a silky smooth and relatively streight kinda bunwavy hair, but it lacks shape.
Also I don't feel like cutting into a v just yet, so waves are fun to play with with a slight u hemline!

Great thread!

Nadine <3
February 14th, 2015, 10:54 AM
For waves I just wash and scrunch with some gel :P lol, not really I hate having gel in my hair. I just do a braid on my damp hair and go to bed... Oh a cinnabun on damp hair makes pretty waves too, but it won't dry unless I spend time outside when it's warm. If I did it in the winter I could wear it all day in the house and it would still be wet 9 hours later.

aforestfae
February 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I love that idea in the video, I saw she had a new video up and didn't watch it so thank you for linking, I want to try it out!
ETA: trying it out right now, it stays in much better than headband curls on my hair.
I used a rolled up scarf to make slightly tighter waves

Upside Down
February 14th, 2015, 01:08 PM
aforestfae, did you sleep in it? Was it comfortable and did it fall out, if you did?
Thanks!

aforestfae
February 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM
aforestfae, did you sleep in it? Was it comfortable and did it fall out, if you did?
Thanks!

I intend to sleep on it and see how it goes so I'll let you know, it feels pretty sturdy though :)
I can't see it falling out

Upside Down
February 14th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Great, I would appreciate that, thanks!!! ;)

Achlys
February 14th, 2015, 02:09 PM
It looks good as an updo as well... :hmm: I might try making a neat one for that.

JustPam
February 14th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I love fishtail braid waves, they turn out more irregular than normal braid waves, plus I can braid much further to the ends by fishtailing, so no huge spaghetti ends, haha!

nikkipeachy
February 14th, 2015, 04:48 PM
I haven't seen this method before. Beautiful results. I am hesitant to try anything like headband curls again. That was a monumental disaster that broke off too much of my hair, which is actually really healthy and strong.

-Fern
February 14th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Love the video you posted! Does anyone have any suggestions for doing it without brushing wet hair? My hair is sooo fragile even when it's 80% dry like she recommends.

rina06
February 14th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Love the video you posted! Does anyone have any suggestions for doing it without brushing wet hair? My hair is sooo fragile even when it's 80% dry like she recommends.

could you try doing it dry and then once it is up spraying it with water to form the shape?

SunlightShines
February 14th, 2015, 07:33 PM
rina06- That's a great idea!

meteor
February 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing, lapushka! :D
Unfortunately, this particular approach (and headband curls, too) would turn my hair into a giant matted mess (my hair is too dense and tangle-prone), but I think it's a great method regardless!
I tend to do a few cinnabuns or braids overnight if I want waves next morning. This works better on freshly washed, damp hair or on damp hair with a bit of oil or flaxseed gel.
I also like beautyklove's channel for heatless waves/curls ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLarqoD-aO1WzdZuLyiwSexYBZytHqfGfa

endlessly
February 14th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I just sleep in 6 medium-sized braids and in the morning after loosening them, I'm left with 'mermaid waves'.

-Fern
February 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM
meteor - Oooooh, I love some of her ideas.... the Boba Straws video (where she does figure-8's) create a stunning effect. How funny and ingenious. Thanks for the share!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Speaking of heatless waves, do you guys use anything in your hair to help prevent the curls/waves from falling out? Mine fall out after half an hour:( What could I use to make my waves last?

Edit: I have heard that flat beer works well but my SO refuses to donate any of his for experimentation....

meteor
February 14th, 2015, 09:44 PM
So glad you like them, -Fern! :D I think she has lots of useful videos! :)

Speaking of heatless waves, do you guys use anything in your hair to help prevent the curls/waves from falling out? Mine fall out after half an hour:( What could I use to make my waves last?

I'd recommend applying some flaxseed gel to wet/damp hair and damp-set hair overnight, making sure it's completely dry when you let hair out. :)
Here is a very good flaxseed gel video recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 10:58 PM
So glad you like them, -Fern! :D I think she has lots of useful videos! :)

I'd recommend applying some flaxseed gel to wet/damp hair and damp-set hair overnight, making sure it's completely dry when you let hair out. :)
Here is a very good flaxseed gel video recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM

Lovely, meteor - I shall try this! Thank you:)

Rebecka
February 15th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Good morning, this did not work at all for me. Think the t-shirt absorbed the water and then it never really dried. But it was worth trying :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 01:37 AM
So, do you dilute the gel with water before you spray it on, or do you just stroke it undiluted onto dampened hair? I have never used gel before.

Rebecka
February 15th, 2015, 01:39 AM
So, do you dilute the gel with water before you spray it on, or do you just stroke it undiluted onto dampened hair? I have never used gel before.

I didn't use any gel.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Good morning, this did not work at all for me. Think the t-shirt absorbed the water and then it never really dried. But it was worth trying :)

Rebecka, how wet was your hair? I think you are supposed to have it only very slightly damp.

I am trying this method now, overnight - I don't have gel at the moment but just trying it with dampened hair. I will report back tomorrow how it turns out.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 01:41 AM
My waves just fall straight out if I don't use something like gel.

aforestfae
February 15th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Thanks!

I slept on it and have to say it was perfectly comfortable, didn't wake me up like some overnight curling methods do even though it slipped down a bit but it's still sturdy enough that I could probably keep it in all day and sleep on it again if I wished.
The only issue I had was that it may have cause a headache (although can't be certain it was my hair being up) as it's all my hair up right on top of my head but that happens for quite a lot of really high updos for me
I have to go out and it's a bit damp out so I'll be keeping my hair up until I get back, apparently it looks perfectly fine as a hairstyle, there isn't much scarf showing at the back

Rebecka
February 15th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Rebecka, how wet was your hair? I think you are supposed to have it only very slightly damp.

I am trying this method now, overnight - I don't have gel at the moment but just trying it with dampened hair. I will report back tomorrow how it turns out.

My waves just fall straight out if I don't use something like gel.

It wasn't very wet, but my hair dries slowly as it is. And i normally have the opposite problems, when i make heatless curls they all reach around chin- shoulder length. It's like my hair doesn't weight anything.

But i just watched the tutorial, didn't put the sound on, so chances are very big i didn't do as said aswell :P

Upside Down
February 15th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Rebecka, sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe try it with more dry hair?
aforestfae, Sarahlabyrinth, this is so interesting, following your results in real time ;) can't wait to see how it works for you! And can't wait to try it myself now, for my next wash...

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 02:38 AM
Rebecka, sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe try it with more dry hair?
aforestfae, Sarahlabyrinth, this is so interesting, following your results in real time ;) can't wait to see how it works for you! And can't wait to try it myself now, for my next wash...

I'm sure you wouldn't need to wait for your next wash - just spritz your hair with water to dampen slightly, then try it.:)

I'm off to bed now - will report results in the morning:)

Upside Down
February 15th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Well, probably, but I am not at home (on vacation yay spa mmm), and when I do get home I will wash anyway ;)
In the meanwhile I am following your results and being motivated to try :)

Creagan
February 15th, 2015, 03:21 AM
Does steam count as heat? I use a Q-Redew on my hair to make my waves more defined or get them back on the day I don't shower. The steam doesn't feel super warm to me. I can usually hold the Q-Redew right up to my skin and only feel mildly warm. (Sometimes it acts kind of funky, hisses, and releases a jet of really hot steam, but I'm careful not to let that touch me except from a distance so the vapor can cool!)

It works really, REALLY well.

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I also like beautyklove's channel for heatless waves/curls ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLarqoD-aO1WzdZuLyiwSexYBZytHqfGfa

She's great, isn't she? I still remember her baby wipes curls method! :D That was epic!

aforestfae
February 15th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I slept on it and have to say it was perfectly comfortable, didn't wake me up like some overnight curling methods do even though it slipped down a bit but it's still sturdy enough that I could probably keep it in all day and sleep on it again if I wished.
The only issue I had was that it may have cause a headache (although can't be certain it was my hair being up) as it's all my hair up right on top of my head but that happens for quite a lot of really high updos for me
I have to go out and it's a bit damp out so I'll be keeping my hair up until I get back, apparently it looks perfectly fine as a hairstyle, there isn't much scarf showing at the back

Well this is how it turned out (https://36.media.tumblr.com/863c712c3067cf441eac5949295efa7b/tumblr_njtc7k9hVU1s7ifvdo2_r1_540.jpg), there is this one section at the back that hasn't curled (which I cropped out) but it never curls, it's the longest part of my hair and it seems no matter what I do this one bit won't hold curl but the rest are really nice curls and if I can ever get the back section to work I will do it again

Upside Down
February 15th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Wow! Just wow! Beautiful soft curls, I love how it looks! And your hair is beautiful!
mmm want to try this now Nowww lol but I go to the swimming pools every day sooo .. No point :lol:

aforestfae
February 15th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Wow! Just wow! Beautiful soft curls, I love how it looks! And your hair is beautiful!
mmm want to try this now Nowww lol but I go to the swimming pools every day sooo .. No point :lol:

:o thank you
What about trying it out for special occasions?

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Well this is how it turned out (https://36.media.tumblr.com/863c712c3067cf441eac5949295efa7b/tumblr_njtc7k9hVU1s7ifvdo2_r1_540.jpg), there is this one section at the back that hasn't curled (which I cropped out) but it never curls, it's the longest part of my hair and it seems no matter what I do this one bit won't hold curl but the rest are really nice curls and if I can ever get the back section to work I will do it again

That is *really* pretty! :D I love that!

aforestfae
February 15th, 2015, 08:53 AM
That is *really* pretty! :D I love that!

:)
They have dropped quite a bit but still look really nice, a bit softer than in the picture now

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 09:36 AM

Rebecka, I agree with Sarahlabyrinth, it's probably because the hair was too wet.
My hair also takes forever to dry, so the best way for me is to do damp-setting on almost dry hair (just a bit damp), otherwise it will be wet in the morning and won't hold the shape I want. People with hair that dries quickly can probably get away with wet-setting, but I think that works best if the hair gets aerated well as it's drying or is dried under a hooded dryer.

I wet down my hands first, use a tiny dab of gel, kind of warm it up in my hands and I spread it on damp hair right before setting it in rollers, buns or braids.
(I use setting/finishing creme/foam/mousse the exact same way, by the way. I also like using the same application method with oil and/or conditioner as a setting product, like TorrinPaige shows here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4)
I focus on the ends (where the curls will actually hold) and don't apply anything higher than shoulder. I'm actually not sure if I do it well, because I do sometimes end up with that crunchy feeling where I applied too much product. I just don't do this often because I almost never wear my hair down. I hope somebody else can share their technique of using gel. :D

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Wow! Gorgeous, stunning curls, aforestfae! :applause Yay!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Well, here is how mine turned out, not lovely like the hair in the video and curls falling out in 10 seconds flat :(

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF8261.jpg

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 02:08 PM
^ Sarahlabyrinth, WOW! :thudpile: My heart skipped a beat! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 02:10 PM
^ Sarahlabyrinth, WOW! :thudpile: My heart skipped a beat! :D

Don't tell me you like it, meteor, it is so disgusting:(

ETA If anyone else tries this, don't use a shirt with buttons on it:(

Ok, maybe disgusting is a strong word - let's just say it doesn't look like I was hoping it would.

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Well, I think it's absolutely gorgeous! :applause What's not to like?
These waves look different from your siggy waves, but both styles are stunning! These waves look more undone, natural. And I love both looks! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Oh. Well, thank you. Perhaps it will *grow*on me (pun intended).

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I agree with meteor, it looks great!

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Great advice to avoid buttons (or anything else that could trap hairs and cause tangles) for this method, Saralabyrinth! :)

Looking back at your gorgeous picture and being surprised that you didn't like it made me wonder how much of our perception of what makes beautiful curls/waves depends on fashion or maybe past experiences or habit or tradition?
For example, I remember when I was a kid, really tight, fluffy, Afro curls were fashionable (hence ubiquitous perms like this (http://media.wella.com/professional/i/tiles/history/popins/1970s_Wella_Perform.jpg)), so it took me a while to get used to the new scrunched-out curls like this (http://hairstyllle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/scrunched-hair-styles.jpg) that became popular later - they looked too "wet" for my taste, at first. But now I absolutely love them. :D I didn't like crimped curls/waves (http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/hair-crimp-17.jpg) when I first saw them, and then I saw beauty in them, too. :)
Then the Kardashian waves (http://www.glamour.com/images/beauty/2013/06/khloe-kardashian-wavy-hair-1-w352.jpg) took over hair fashion for a while, and I found them overly structured, too done, like you could see where the curling wand went and I didn't like it, until I saw beauty in that glamorous look, and now I love it, too. :)

I think straight hair tends to be a bit less explicit about showing which decade/style the picture represents, but there are so many different fashions for styling waves/curls... It's fun to see so much variety! Yay for all the different curls and waves! :cheer:

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, if you think that's bad, Sarahlabyrinth, then I would have to hate my waves because they tend to look a bit like that. :o

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM
But I LOVE the way your hair looks, lapushka! I guess it's just not what I am used to seeing on myself and I got a shock. I think meteor has a point about how fashions change and the styles we find beautiful can change too.

I just gave myself a shock, is all. Looking at the photo again, I guess it's not as bad as I thought at first. :)

MINAKO
February 15th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Well, here is how mine turned out, not lovely like the hair in the video and curls falling out in 10 seconds flat :(

i like these too! maybe not the neatest look of them all but there is something nice and effortless about them, like you didnt really try and it just looks like that. usually my secons day curling wand hair looks like this and i embrace it, although nothing beats extra sleek in my book, i think its nice for a quick change.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Thank you MINAKO. Funny how I have to go to a pile of effort to get hair that looks like it hasn't really had any attention! lol.

fiabia
February 15th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I just twirl my hair around almost into a cinnabun and hold it while I put on my sleeping cap, so that it stays the shape underneath the cap all night, and I wake up with soft, subtle and really natural looking waves.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 15th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I'm sure that could work well, fiabia:)

MINAKO
February 15th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Thank you MINAKO. Funny how I have to go to a pile of effort to get hair that looks like it hasn't really had any attention! lol.

i can see how you were expecting a diffent result due to the work you put into it, but that does not make it look bad.

did anyone in this thread already mentioned beautyklove on youtube? i didnt really click the links so excuse me if shes already been mentioned, but in case not, check her out. she has amazing heatless curling tutorials on her channel.

Upside Down
February 16th, 2015, 01:18 AM

This is so beautiful. It is how I want my hair to look like all the time, just enough waves, and as MINAKO said, effortless look that makes it suitable for everyday. Sigh, wave jelous here.
I used to get a similar look after blow out and then sleeping in a braid, but I swore off heat.

aforestfae
February 16th, 2015, 01:34 AM
This is so beautiful. It is how I want my hair to look like all the time, just enough waves, and as MINAKO said, effortless look that makes it suitable for everyday. Sigh, wave jelous here.
I used to get a similar look after blow out and then sleeping in a braid, but I swore off heat.

I agree, beautiful waves, the more I see them the more I love them.
I wish my hair would wave like this naturally, so pretty :)
And all of your hair waved (I had a stick straight section of hair after I tried it)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 16th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Thanks aforestfae and Upside Down!

rosance
February 17th, 2015, 12:31 AM
I would like to try this but with a thinner halo as to make it more on the curly side rather than wavy. When I do it, I will post :)

KittyBird
February 17th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Love heatless curls and waves, but not at this length. The tangles I get are insane. The last time I curled my hair, most of it ended up being a huge, horrifying, matted tangle. It took several hours, a ton of conditioner and a lot of breakage and tears to get it out. If I did curl my hair I wouldn't be able to wear it down, and then it would be pretty pointless to curl it in the first place. :shrug: I wish I had magical hair that didn't tangle.

Arien
February 17th, 2015, 03:27 AM
When my hair was long enough I used to do two lace rope plaits on each side of my head and bun them, then sleep on them overnight. That works really well and you get nice big loose waves. I'm not keen on normal plait waves on myself, they come out a bit too small so rope plaits were perfect! :)

lapushka
February 17th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Love heatless curls and waves, but not at this length. The tangles I get are insane. The last time I curled my hair, most of it ended up being a huge, horrifying, matted tangle. It took several hours, a ton of conditioner and a lot of breakage and tears to get it out. If I did curl my hair I wouldn't be able to wear it down, and then it would be pretty pointless to curl it in the first place. :shrug: I wish I had magical hair that didn't tangle.

Yeah, TBL+ is too much to handle. I think my waves are just going to have to be enough.

Arctic
February 17th, 2015, 05:56 AM
How do you get the headband waves look nice? I have tried them few times, and while the very front area (front sides + "bangs" area) get extremely nice waves, the back is straight (that is, the "scalp hair") and the ends/length at the back have few loose waves. I'd love to get the waves I have at the front for all of the hair. I have even tried a kind of spin off where I use 2 headbands, one for the crown area and one as normal, but it wasn't successful.

I have also problems getting the hair at the back to stay rolled around the head band, but that's probably just because of my shortish length.

The best waves for me come from crown braids. Or, more specifically any curvy or zigzaggy french/dutch braid will do, it doesn't have to be a crown braid per se. Waves start right from the roots and continue to the ends.

I also do damp bunning, just few days ago I tried 4 small buns on wet hair (in the evening) and and the results were nice. The first bun was at the crown (where I have cowlick, and it's important to try to gather all the cowlicky hairs in one spot so the area would dry better) and the other tree around it. It even looked nice. The buns I did don't probably have a name, but they were a mixture of cinnabun and pin curls, if that makes sense.

Chlorophylliac
February 17th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Share your tips and tricks for heatless waves in this topic!

I found this video yesterday, and thought it was such a weird but cool method. She uses a t-shirt "halo" on the top of her head. Doesn't differ that much from headband curls, but it's slightly different and gives you "bigger" waves/curls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Mo0XCeJqw

I've been thinking about this method since she posted the video, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It seems similar to headband curls, but my hair always becomes a tangled mess when I try that. I frequently do sock bun curls/waves with a bun former that has snaps on the ends - so the process is similar to Kayley's and easier than a regular sock bun, because you wrap the hair around the bun former like a large curler, snap the ends together, and spread the hair around. Easy, no tangles, and I can wear my hair out in the bun, which is a plus - but I only really get waves on the ends. I'm trying to come up with some sort of hybrid between that and this method.

lunalocks
February 17th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I get the best waves/curls for the seashell bun. Before I start wrapping, I wet the last 8 to 12 inches of hair and then when I wrap around my hand, have wide loops for the first few wraps and tighter ones (around one or two fingers) for the last 3 to 5 wraps. Pin it up with spin pins on the top of my head. Sleep on it. Finger comb out in the morning. Lasts a few hours.

firevegan
February 18th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Subscribed =D

firevegan
February 18th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Chlorophylliac :bigeyes: how did you get that heart bun in your avatar? :inlove:

Nivine
February 18th, 2015, 07:47 AM
For me, I just wash my hair, either do a basic braid and let it air dry, or do a bun and also let it air dry

Arctic
February 18th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Does any of you have strong cowlicks at the crown? I do and I find it to be really hit and miss whether the heatless methods happen to help this area dry just so, or if the cowlicks win and look super bad.

I'd like to hear any tips from those of your with the same problem.

I've noticed that making a relatively tight bun right on top of the crown often helps. Also crown braid/french (or dutch) braid hybrids often help, especially if I make the braid go right on top of the cowlicks.

Chlorophylliac
February 19th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Chlorophylliac :bigeyes: how did you get that heart bun in your avatar? :inlove:

Thanks, fellow herbivore (I assume)! I watched this vid: Easy Valentine's Day Heart Hair Tutorial: http://youtu.be/m3ggefTyuNQ

Natalia
February 19th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Following!

AZDesertRose
February 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I find making a lot of little baby bee-butt buns (like 20+ on my head but I have a large skull and thick hair, so YMMV) with slightly damp hair and sleeping on it makes for pretty heat-free waves on my hair. You can pin them in place for setting with whatever your hair likes, really. I tend to use small hairpins or bobby pins, but my hair seems to be fairly tough and can tolerate that.

Dona
February 20th, 2015, 12:26 AM
I love heatless waves. For waves, I just bun my hair. If I want curls, I use these soft rollers that you can sleep with and the more I use, the tighter the curls (2-3 for loose curls, 4-5 for tight curls). My hair curls really easily and it stays at least wavy till my next wash (for 3 to 4 days).

Upside Down
February 20th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Ok so I put my hair in the t shirt turban. It doesn't really feel secure and I think it will fall out during the night, but we'll see. If it works, I'll let you know... ;)

Arctic
February 20th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Upside down, please also let us know if it DOESN'T work, lol!

No-one with strong cowlicks??? Especially those, who have double crown??? How you get them behave with heatless curling?

Upside Down
February 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Ok, I can do that ;) I wake up millioj times during the night (baby wakes up..) so I may end up redoing it into a braid if it falls out, that's what I meant... ;)

Upside Down
February 20th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Good morning! Well, it fell out during the night and kept bugging me. If it wasn't for the bobbin pins that I had no idea where I put in there, I'd have taken it down. :lol:
Still, should not be a problem if you are not waking up all the time anyway.

But still, the results are WOW I love it!!!
Here is a quick 7 am selfie, behold the wave! The shine! The henna! And I didn't yet put anything in it, just took it out of the turban and separated each wave into two.
I didn't resize it on purpose.. ;)

http://www.dodaj.rs/t/3g/JL/1K7NMtkz/2015-02-21-070500.jpg (http://www.dodaj.rs/?3g/JL/1K7NMtkz/2015-02-21-070500.jpg)

Arctic
February 21st, 2015, 04:03 AM
Beautiful curls Upside down!! I wonder how long hair must before before that method works? I think mine is too short for it.

I had my hair is crown braid the other night, and got again nice waves from root to tips.

meteor
February 21st, 2015, 11:56 AM
Good morning! Well, it fell out during the night and kept bugging me. If it wasn't for the bobbin pins that I had no idea where I put in there, I'd have taken it down. :lol:

Here is a quick 7 am selfie, behold the wave! The shine! The henna! And I didn't yet put anything in it, just took it out of the turban and separated each wave into two.

http://www.dodaj.rs/t/3g/JL/1K7NMtkz/2015-02-21-070500.jpg (http://www.dodaj.rs/?3g/JL/1K7NMtkz/2015-02-21-070500.jpg)

Goodness, that's absolutely GORGEOUS, Upside Down! :thudpile: That's what I call "bombshell hair"! :applause
Pictures like yours make me want to cut hair to BSL/midback, because it's absolutely impossible to achieve that same level of movement and bounce on long and unlayered hair. :justy: There is only so much braidwaves can do! :(

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
Arctic, I don't know, but I think prety short, like collarbone? You would only need to twist 1,5 times around the turban to achieve a wave, I think. It migt fall ut more easily but you could do it during the day?
My friend was asking about the waves and I gave her the link to the tutorial, she has around collarbone+ hair, so I can let you know when she tries it. May not be so soon, though.

Aww, meteor, you are too sweet :flower: but please don't! You have 44 inches of hair? Wow wow wow that is amazing! True shorter has some perks, but man I wish it grew faster! And the updos are so limited... Teeny buns... Short funny braids... Lwb all the time... Nooo, longer has many more perks ;)

Btw, Sarahlabyrinth had pretty amazing results herself on waaaay longer hair!

EmmAutumn
February 22nd, 2015, 05:09 AM
Sooo i just tried the method from the first post...
And so far i'm loving the results! Every other heatless wave/curl method i've tried leaves my otherwise fine and sleek hair a tangled, poofy mess. Braid waves do work, but i don't like the shape on my hair. Because i don't have a lot of it, it will look crimped instead of wavy.

A pic (it might not look like anything special, but it sure feels glamorous!)
http://i61.tinypic.com/t5jhnr.jpg

Arctic
February 22nd, 2015, 05:14 AM
EmmAutumn - oh it does look special, very special! What beautiful curls you got! And they go so well with your colour too! I don't know if you are growing out colour or if it's dyed like that, but it looks great to me!

Arctic
February 22nd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Upside Down - Thank you, I'd love to hear how your friend's curling experience was. Maybe I'll try it myself some day, I am at home a lot, so could do it during the day too. I have to take my dog out every few hours though, so I couldn't keep the shirt on for very long during the day.

EmmAutumn
February 22nd, 2015, 05:20 AM
Arctic, Thank you! :D Yes, i'm growing out my henna. I'm about a year in now.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 05:20 AM
Gorgeous, EmmAutumn! :)

stachelbeere
February 22nd, 2015, 05:32 AM
haha, I haven't seen this post until now and I tried this method last friday. Since I have very similar hair to kayley melissa's I thought that I'd get similar results... but I only got a veeery subtle S-wave and then it straightened out after 30 mins :/ oh and that volume at the roots? The halo actually flattened out my hair around the parting which I didn't like at all :/ and I did brush my hair forward like she said :/

I guess sleeping with a cinnabun on the top of my head is way more comfortable and it provides similar results in the end. maybe two big noodle curls would take care of the volume. Or two or four cinnabuns on top of the head, idk.

Upside Down
February 22nd, 2015, 06:06 AM
EmmAutumn, I LOVE it. :thud:

Arctic, I will let you know! It just occured to me that aforestfae used a scarf instead of t shirt for more curls instead of waves, and this may work better for shorter hair, hmmm maybe??

aforestfae
February 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM

Gorgeous! :thud:

aforestfae
February 22nd, 2015, 06:43 AM
And so far i'm loving the results! Every other heatless wave/curl method i've tried leaves my otherwise fine and sleek hair a tangled, poofy mess. Braid waves do work, but i don't like the shape on my hair. Because i don't have a lot of it, it will look crimped instead of wavy.

Also gorgeous curls and I love the red you have (my dream colour), so shiny :crush:

KittyBird
February 22nd, 2015, 07:41 AM
EmmAutumn, it looks fantastic! Love the ombre too, I hope my hair will look as good as yours when I start growing out my henna sometime in the future :D

EmmAutumn
February 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the sweet comments guys :) makes me feel better about my two-toned hair, haha.

meteor
February 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
EmmAutumn, it's super-gorgeous! :thud: And your red ombre is to die for! :thumbsup:

Arctic
February 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
EmmAutumn I am going to dye my hair a bit like yours is on purpose :) So yeah I love the look! Mine will be wine red tips!

OK in the name of experimenting, I am going to try to sleep with my hair in a pinwheel bun to see what kind of waves I'll get. My hair will be too dirty to take photos of tomorrow morning though (and I'll have to wash my hair right after I take it down), but if it looks promising, I will try it again with freshly washed hair, so I can take and share photos. I did the pinwheel bun without twisting the strands, so it's bit modified. Here's a link to the original:

http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2013/05/pinwheel-bun-hairstyle-tutorial.html

ETA: The concept of this bun is very similar as the t-shirt halo method.
PS. I posted pics of my pinwheel bun in my blog.

AZDesertRose
February 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
EmmAutumn, your hair is beautiful. I love the waves and the color gives me hope that I won't look totally weird if I ever get tired of henna-ing my hair. :)

Upside Down
February 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
Gorgeous! :thud:

Thankss ;)

Arctic, let us know! Although, now I think of it, my hair takes forever to dry in a bun.

Arctic
February 23rd, 2015, 05:42 AM
The sleeping with a pinwheel bun was a partial fail. My hair seems to be still too short for using that bun overnight, and it had worked itself out from the bun/sock by more than 50 %. I took the rest of it down when I woke up, and the waves I got were so big they didn't show very well in my length. I did get a lot of body and this would be a great base for a very voluminous style, I'm sure.

I might try again some day, when I don't have dirty hair - if not for the waves, the bun itself was nice, sturdy, comfortable and helped my hair to cover the sock base better than normal sockbun would.

Because this method is so similar to the t-shirt halo, I think I will skip the halo untill I have more length.

Mainesongbird
February 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
She has some good ideas, and sometimes she uses heat, but neat hairstyles. I will definitely be trying this one!

Dona
February 24th, 2015, 08:59 AM

This looks like it's done with a curling iron, so smooth and pretty... I love it.

Jadestorm
February 24th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Very interesting technique, and the ladies here who tried it and posted pictures: It looks absolutely beautiful on all of you! I like how everyone gets different results.

Chlorophylliac
February 25th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Ok, I made a feeble attempt at halo curls, and my hair just laughed maniacally. Tried something else instead... Will come back if it works.

lapushka
February 25th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Loepsie just posted a tutorial for thinner hair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-Bp17IlZE

gwenalyn
February 25th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I finally found a method that gives me nice curls, and I'm excited! Braid waves never worked for me, the hair always looked "bendy"--like big messy crimps--instead of wavy. And the tassels were as straight as ever. So after some experimentation, I found this:

Wash, and dry until just damp. Twin French braids to my nape (one French braid was too big to wave, three French braids just left crimps. I'm sure everyone is different). Rope braid each side, and bun, making sure that you wrap the bun in the same direction as the twisted strands (this way the tassel gets curled in the right direction). I have to leave this to dry for 24 hours, otherwise it's still damp when I take it down, so the fact that it actually looks nice is a significant bonus.

This leaves my hair with nice body at the scalp and nice big ringlety curls nearer to the bottom, and actually looks quite natural.

Next I just have to find a good way to get wavy hair. I'm thinking double non-braided buns.

Edit: Well, I do feel silly, but I just tried it again to verify that it works well, and it didn't work at all this time. Don't know if it was the deep conditioning I did beforehand, or if my hair was slightly wetter, or if I left it in slightly longer ... hmm

FireFromWithin
February 25th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I've found that doing a 5 strand braid gives me nicer waves than a 3 strand. But it still doesn't curl the tassel. I need to use lots of conditioner and oil to get my hair curly but it does stay once it's there!

TrapperCreekD
February 27th, 2015, 01:44 PM
The halo curls/waves look awesome! Next wash... probably.

I tried this method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU), which is a play on pin curls. I wasn't paying close attention when I did it and ended up making them too, so the result looked more like sausage curls than waves. Pretty, but not quite what I was expecting! :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/UWq6OhE.png

This also looks interesting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptL5fGWLdI)...

meteor
February 27th, 2015, 02:01 PM
^TrapperCreekD, your hair and your curls are phenomenal! :thudpile: What a gorgeous mane of curls you've got!

About pin curls... they look absolutely amazing and channel Old Hollywood glamor perfectly,... but again, not do-able on every head of hair. I think when the hair is tangle-prone and/or gets very long, they can be difficult.
(I can't do them, just like I can't do the headband curls, sadly. :( )
Torrinpaige talks about her pin curls disaster experiment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV6DIWc0qj4

Upside Down
February 27th, 2015, 02:07 PM
TrapperCreekD, just beautiful! :thud:

Meteor,I agree. I only once slept in pin curls and regretted it badly. My hair tangles and goes rubber like while drying so I ended up re wetting and applying conditioner in the morning.

lapushka
February 27th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Pretty result, TrapperCreekD! :)

Arctic
February 27th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Looking awesome, TrapperCreekD!

gwenalyn I can't quite picture how you do it. Can you explain even more detail take a photo or make a drawing? Sounds interesting!

FireFromWithin and everyone else not liking the straight tassels: It's actually very modern way of wearing your hair wavy/curly. Many people, professional and normal people alike, seem to leave a straight tips on purpose. It's more contemporary and modern right now than having the ends curled. (Same thing with messiness, the messier the better when it comes to braids and buns right now.) I try to remind myself of this everytime my ends are not curled :D

gwenalyn
February 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
gwenalyn I can't quite picture how you do it. Can you explain even more detail take a photo or make a drawing? Sounds interesting!

What part is confusing to you? I'm uncomfortable putting pics of myself online and since my hair is that "soft black/brown" that doesn't show detail well I don't think it would help. Maybe I'll make a drawing later.

FireFromWithin and everyone else not liking the straight tassels: It's actually very modern way of wearing your hair wavy/curly. Many people, professional and normal people alike, seem to leave a straight tips on purpose. It's more contemporary and modern right now than having the ends curled. (Same thing with messiness, the messier the better when it comes to braids and buns right now.) I try to remind myself of this everytime my ends are not curled :D

Maybe if my tassels weren't so long--it looks very strange on me! Once I finish growing out the layers & my tassels are shorter I'll try leaving them straight.

I tried this method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU), which is a play on pin curls. I wasn't paying close attention when I did it and ended up making them too, so the result looked more like sausage curls than waves. Pretty, but not quite what I was expecting! :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/UWq6OhE.png

This also looks interesting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptL5fGWLdI)...

Wow, that's awesome! Your hair and her hair both look gorgeous, I'm definitely trying this next time. The extended ad at the beginning is annoying though--it ends at 1:50.

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Apart from doing multiple damp braids or cinnabuns overnight (my preferred methods), I also like this rag-curls method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJmk1brVNw

Cutting up an old T-shirt is more environmentally friendly than this, since you can reuse the rags, but paper towels work in a pinch, too! ;)

-Fern
February 28th, 2015, 02:15 PM

TrapperCreekD, your hair looked so gorgeous that it inspired me to try the same method. =P But holy cow, batman, I'm not sure I understand the physics of her hair. Mine was not nearly that easy to do, haha, but maybe I just need lots more practice... It's up now, and will be ready to take down later tonight. =D
Just out of curiosity, did you use any sort of styling product before putting them up to make them set like in the video? I skipped that because my hair is already completely unmanageable when it's damp, and it took me forever to just (gently) comb it out.

yahirwaO.o
February 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I dont think this have been posted yet..... But this video totally shows the power of a black scrunchie when well used for creating awesome waves........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmgcI9QaGs

It may be difficutl for very long heads (tangle problems and tightness of the style), but her hair is super thick and heavy so this gives a clear idea it can be done.

I may give it a try with my shorter hair and Im planning on wearing a formal bun, so this is like killing two birds with one stone while still using my favorite hair and misunderstood accesorie... the black scrunchie!!!

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Looks great, yahirwaO.o! :thumbsup:

(My hair is way too long and big for this method though :( , I can't even put it in a ponytail that would stay anymore, let alone complete that sort of scrunchie procedure... :violin: )

Salty Sloth
February 28th, 2015, 03:39 PM
This is my absolute FAVORITE way and her hair looks great in this video, too. :3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGuWokn47A

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 03:44 PM
^ That's an excellent method, Salty Sloth! :love: Yay, Cinnabuns with a twist! ;)

unknown
February 28th, 2015, 04:18 PM
yahirwaO.o, you have seriously just saved my hair from tons of future no-heat method disasters :blossom:

betterhairday
March 1st, 2015, 03:04 AM
I have a hair styling iron. When I was reading all the advice pages on the website I was really interested in one article - "How to Curl Your Hair Without Heat" see link: http://www.karminhairtools.com/advice/how-to-curl-your-hair-without-heat.html I used the socks version. Reason? We had a power outage a few days after and I had damp hair!

-Fern
March 1st, 2015, 07:51 AM
I tried this method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU), which is a play on pin curls.

Haha, okay, so that wound up being a disaster... I managed to keep it up for about six or seven hours, but my hair kept spitting out the bobby pins and finally I gave in and took it down. I even made 10 sections of my hair instead of five because I know mine is thick... apparently still too thick.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16146&d=1425221207

-Fern
March 1st, 2015, 07:52 AM
This is my absolute FAVORITE way and her hair looks great in this video, too. :3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGuWokn47A

So then I regrouped and tried this method and went to sleep with it in, with much better luck.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16147&d=1425221208

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16148&d=1425221209

Upside Down
March 1st, 2015, 08:02 AM
That is very pretty, fern!

I think methods that make smaller curls/waves are better on streight-ish hair, while the first method posted is better in curly hair. Whenever I tried methods similar to these on the last page, I got waaaay too much curl like with rollers not big enough. But, then, my main motivation is to get it streighter, opposite of what most people are after :lol:

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 03:05 PM
Very pretty, Fern! I mean look at that definition!

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Excellent results, -Fern! :D Gorgeous curls!

TrapperCreekD
March 2nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
So then I regrouped and tried this method and went to sleep with it in, with much better luck.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16147&d=1425221208

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16148&d=1425221209

:thudpile: It's just so perfect looking!

TrapperCreekD, your hair looked so gorgeous that it inspired me to try the same method. =P But holy cow, batman, I'm not sure I understand the physics of her hair. Mine was not nearly that easy to do, haha, but maybe I just need lots more practice... It's up now, and will be ready to take down later tonight. =D
Just out of curiosity, did you use any sort of styling product before putting them up to make them set like in the video? I skipped that because my hair is already completely unmanageable when it's damp, and it took me forever to just (gently) comb it out.

Wow, thank you! It's too bad this method didn't work for you. :( I really love the look of wavy and curly hair, but for combing/styling ease and smooth updos, sometimes I wish my hair was like that. Every foray into heatless waves/curls doubles as a "deep" condition for me, so I usually spritz with diluted conditioner and seal with a few drops of oil or shea butter.

-Fern
March 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
Thank you all for the comments. ^_^

And thanks TrapperCreekD for the feedback on what you put in your hair. I hadn't thought to make a heatless waves treatment do double-duty as conditioning. That's a great idea!

yahirwaO.o
March 3rd, 2015, 07:30 PM
yahirwaO.o, you have seriously just saved my hair from tons of future no-heat method disasters :blossom:

No problem this is very easy and works beyond well for some people.... I did it to my cousin with great sucess, her hair is BSL and sort of coarse....

Looks great, yahirwaO.o! :thumbsup:

(My hair is way too long and big for this method though :( , I can't even put it in a ponytail that would stay anymore, let alone complete that sort of scrunchie procedure... :violin: )

LOL yeah I knew this was a nightmare for some...... My hair refuses to do this too, but my problems are with my super slipery straight hair!!!

Cattiva
March 4th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Wow, I can't wait to try the technique in the video that yahirwaO.o posted!

KittyBird
March 5th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I decided to try sock-bun curls today, using the first method in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU) (I think someone posted it upthread). I placed mine on the back of my head instead of on top, and I only kept it up for 2-3 hours. I didn't wet my hair because I didn't have a spray bottle, I just put a bit of TIGI S-Factor Silky Smooth Moisture Serum on each section. I think the results are alright, some parts curled nicely and others just curled a bit on the ends. I think it would be better to use a proper hair donut (I bought a few huge ones on ebay, hope they get here fast!) rather than a rolled up sock, because some of my hair got tangled up in it and it was very difficult to get it out of my hair.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair/DSC_0058%20copy_zpsh2wsfdeu.jpg
Sorry about the blurry picture, the camera didn't want to focus on me :p

-Fern
March 5th, 2015, 07:12 AM
I decided to try sock-bun curls today, using the first method in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu05WFYRyU) (I think someone posted it upthread). I placed mine on the back of my head instead of on top, and I only kept it up for 2-3 hours. I didn't wet my hair because I didn't have a spray bottle, I just put a bit of TIGI S-Factor Silky Smooth Moisture Serum on each section. I think the results are alright, some parts curled nicely and others just curled a bit on the ends.

I think that turned out nice! I like the gentle bouncy waviness of it.

Cattiva
March 5th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I think your hair turned out great, KittyBird. It looks so soft too!

KittyBird
March 6th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much, -Fern and Cattiva! :blossom:

leilani
March 8th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I went with foam rollers and slept in them last night on damp hair and today have big curls I'm happy with. Pic in my signature.

KittyBird
March 8th, 2015, 11:39 AM
That looks gorgeous, leilani! :thud:

meteor
March 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
It looks absolutely amazing, leilani! :applause
Foam rollers are really great for curling, and they work even if the hair is way too long for many other methods. ;)

Halliday
March 8th, 2015, 12:31 PM
So beautiful leilani.

AlexDig
March 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I tried the curling method from the OPs link and it turned out fantastic! It's definitely more wavy than my natural curls but super nice anyways. I still love my interlinking foam curlers but this is a nice alternative!

lapushka
March 8th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I went with foam rollers and slept in them last night on damp hair and today have big curls I'm happy with. Pic in my signature.

That looks awesome! :)

BrendaLoan
March 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Cute Girls Hairstyles just uploaded this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskMkan9tyI), and I immediately remembered this thread. I hope you find it useful!

lapushka
March 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Cute Girls Hairstyles just uploaded this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskMkan9tyI), and I immediately remembered this thread. I hope you find it useful!

I just saw that earlier today! Glad you linked it here, Brenda! :D

Breanna
March 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I tried the video tutorial that yahirwaO.o posted! But I think I'll need to try it a few more times and leave it in longer. Here's how it looked while up:
https://41.media.tumblr.com/826519952f1a5bbfaaaac3ca7e0ca207/tumblr_nl0rvog8Jz1qjsugao1_400.jpg

And after taking out the sections, I think it made a very pretty ponytail:
https://41.media.tumblr.com/017eb8fe2bddaa15ff9de81dc2e1fe12/tumblr_nl0rvog8Jz1qjsugao2_1280.jpg

But I'm not really sure about the waves, I think I'll definitely need to leave it in longer and experiment with different placements and numbers of sections.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/3ec7804449bae6a93506856a3a1346cd/tumblr_nl0rvog8Jz1qjsugao4_250.jpg

ETA: I'm not sure why the last picture is so tiny!

BrendaLoan
March 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Those are some beautiful waves, Breanna!

Here you have the waves the boxer braid method created on my hair

http://i59.tinypic.com/2cmrt36.jpg

I really like the way they look, specially on the front :) (I forgot to take a picture :P, maybe next time)

TrapperCreekD
March 12th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Ooh, pretty, KittyBird, leilani, breanna & BrendaLoan!

Breanna
March 12th, 2015, 11:31 AM
BrendaLoan!! Gorgeous!!! :agape:

KittyBird
March 12th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Wow! That looks fantastic, BrendaLoan! :thudpile:

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM
BrendaLoan, those look awesome!

BrendaLoan
March 12th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Thank you very much, ladies!! :flower:

meteor
March 12th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous waves, BrendaLoan! :thud:

gwenalyn
March 12th, 2015, 03:40 PM
My jaw literally dropped, BrendaLoan!

tigress86
March 13th, 2015, 01:40 AM
My first somewhat successful attempt at heatless waves ever since I cut my hair short. It used to be so easy to do heatless styles when my hair was long, now with this bob/lob it seems near impossible to get decent looking waves or curls. I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6x7SekDVw
I wish the waves were bigger and more defined, perhaps I should take bigger sections to twist.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ynov2b.jpg

lapushka
March 13th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Waves with bantu knots (includes setting it into knots):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C30FguyeHg

KittyBird
March 13th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I like the look of bantu knot curls, but I'm afraid of doing those after what happened to TorrinPaige (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XXlh9QfXw) shudder:

BrendaLoan
March 13th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Thank you meteor and gwenalyn! You are really sweet :D
tigress86 your waves look sooo cute!

I like the look of bantu knot curls, but I'm afraid of doing those after what happened to TorrinPaige (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XXlh9QfXw) shudder:

Ohh, I still remember that day http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/other1/62.gif

Arctic
March 14th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I love this thread, beautiful results, everyone!

Anyone up for a challenge?

I'd like to ask, what overnight curling method would be most comfortable to sleep in and that would work for my length and my particular hair?

My hair is shoulder+ length, and on the thinner side of medium (the thickness translates, that I can do lot of different buns and braids thicker hair couldn't yet at this length AND that my hair usually dries over night even in bun). And I'm a restless sleeper and often overnight curling is too uncomfortable and even prevents me from sleeping.

My hair seems to take curl well, I often get waves and curls from just keeping a braid/bun 30 minutes or so (but they don't last so well as overnight waves/curls). For waves I love crown braids (or free-style zigzaggy french braids), and would now like more curling than waving methods, but am open to both. I like mine (both waves and curls) to start closer to the root, so for example the hairband method isn't giving the kind of results that I'd like, even though it does make the front hair look great. The curl shouldn't be really tiny, because with my length the results don't suit my face.

And extra challenge is my double crown, that is, I have really strong cowlicks at the crown, which make my hair form a long, sometimes sharply curving part there which is impossible to tame unless it dries in certain way after washing. If the drying method fails, the cowlick stays until the next wash. The method I'd use should have the crown hairs rather tightly (by tight I don't mean "facelift tight", but rather snug) contained right above the crown (think a cinnabun right on top of the cowlick, or a french braid right over the cowlick). These are the tricks I've learned that help the crown area dry better looking with wet setting/overnight curls. I imagine this might work too: if the area would be combed (when wet) so, and the setting be so, that this area would stay neat and smooth against the scalp as it dries, and wouldn't be able to part there (I'm imagining the crown combed smooth and sleek, and there would be buns etc around the area - for the record, crown braid works to tame my cowlicks, even when it doesn go over that area).

Mini-cinnabuns work for nice curls, but are not comfy to sleep in, and different kinds of curls would be nice for a change. Also one big cinnabun at the crown works, but at my length the waves it gives are so big they are not really curls.

I'm willing to test some suggested methods, if they look potential.

Am I hopeless case for nice curls???

ETA: Forgot to say, that I don't know very much about this topic, and all the different tutorials out there make me feel overwhelmed :blush:

meteor
March 14th, 2015, 06:40 PM
^ Arctic, have you tried rag curls? :) They are very comfy to sleep in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vJmk1brVNw

Foam rollers are nice, too.

Arctic
March 14th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Meteor - That was quick! Thank you for the suggestions!

No I haven't yet tried rag curls. I'll put that on my list for things to try. They might work nicely with my length!

I forgot to say, that foam rollers didn't agree with my hair and I have tossed mine. They made my hair dry, rough and frizzy :(

Arctic
March 15th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I had put my damp hair in mini cinnabuns before I wrote my yesterday's post, and I slept with them. Stayed well, didn't bother me as I had made them flat and put the bobby pins so, that won't be uncomfortable (like I said in my post, mini cinnabuns in general seem to work for me well).

Curls aren't that great though this time - I've had better. Quite curly in the front/sides, less curly and more like big waves at the back. Messy looking. I'll need to remember to divide the back hair into at least 3, maybe 4 sections if I want unform curliness, now I had 2 at the back, one on each side. Just for the heck of it, I tried brushing the curls in a way I vaguely remember seeing, long time ago, vintage curls being brushed. It turned out ok-ish but not really recognizeably vintage, and when I viewed some tutorial videos afterwards, I had used wrong type of brush and probably not brushed enough and the set itself was no elaborate pincurl setting for sure.

I took some photos but they are not really posting-worthy and I don't have time to photoediting now anyway. Maybe I'll post some on later date.

In the near future (probably sometime next week) I'll try the rag curls, but I might use socks to get a bit bigger curls and to avoid having to cut some fabric into strips (I have a feeling papertowles would cause frizz). I have a good feeling about them, that they might work for my cowlicks.

yahirwaO.o
March 17th, 2015, 04:03 PM
In the near future (probably sometime next week) I'll try the rag curls, but I might use socks to get a bit bigger curls and to avoid having to cut some fabric into strips (I have a feeling papertowles would cause frizz). I have a good feeling about them, that they might work for my cowlicks.

If you try rag curls make them very loosely and only like 3 sections on the side and only the bottom part like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOkGyEUtTKY

Nice curls that turn big waves throughout the day and look awesome..... and the 60's pigtail minus the tease combo goes nice too!!

lapushka
March 17th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Sock bun method waves (similar to the halo method in the OP, only on a smaller item):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-A_2ht81Fg

Arctic
March 17th, 2015, 06:34 PM
If you try rag curls make them very loosely and only like 3 sections on the side and only the bottom part like this.....

Nice curls that turn big waves throughout the day and look awesome..... and the 60's pigtail minus the tease combo goes nice too!!

Thanks for the video, the woman did have awesome curls from the rag curling method!

gwenalyn
March 17th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I tried the curling method with the black scrunchie bun, and the waves were blow-out-worthy gorgeous! For an hour. I was hosting a party and by the end the only curl left was in the bottom two inches, just little flippies D: And I had hairsprayed it like crazy, too. Does anyone have tips for getting the waves to stay? I have straight, slippery hair at MBL.

I've been trying desperately for some kind of no-heat curl method because the ombre I got in January isn't that good--it looks great with wavy/curly hair but on my natural straight hair there is a demarcation line.

Arctic
March 17th, 2015, 10:03 PM
gwenalyn - it's very difficult with your hairtype. As you know. I had almost same hairtype before and nothing stayed: not curls, not waves, not hairstyles, no matter how much products I used and no matter how wet the hair was when trying to curl it. I hope someone else has some ideas.

All I can think of is using some of the texture creating products, like dry shampoo, salt spray, hair powder (the latter is especially awesome!). They will give some grip to the otherwise slippery hair and will helps styles and even curls last longer, and make the hair more voluminous to boot.

gwenalyn
March 18th, 2015, 03:26 PM
gwenalyn - it's very difficult with your hairtype. As you know. I had almost same hairtype before and nothing stayed: not curls, not waves, not hairstyles, no matter how much products I used and no matter how wet the hair was when trying to curl it. I hope someone else has some ideas.

All I can think of is using some of the texture creating products, like dry shampoo, salt spray, hair powder (the latter is especially awesome!). They will give some grip to the otherwise slippery hair and will helps styles and even curls last longer, and make the hair more voluminous to boot.

Thanks :) I am already a dry shampoo devotee, but I hadn't thought about using volumizing powders to help waves stay before. I'll definitely try that next time! I also have a "curl-enhancing" mousse to try after that.

BrendaLoan
March 28th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Another finding on Youtube: This time is a video from LaDollyVita33, and the waves that result from this hairdo look really nice :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq8XASx-jU

lapushka
March 28th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Ooh yeah, she just posted that one! Nice!

Arctic
March 29th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I have sock curl set in my hair now, I put 3 socks on damp hair, mohawk style. So these are like rag curls but with socks. Wish me luck!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Another finding on Youtube: This time is a video from LaDollyVita33, and the waves that result from this hairdo look really nice :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq8XASx-jU

I have just tried this as a style in itself, on slightly damp hair. It looks different from the video but I love it! I will wear this as its own style and any curls resulting will be an added bonus the next day. It feels wonderful (and looks it too, I think), is so comfortable to wear, no pulling or heavy buns to contend with...I think this style is a real head-turner in and of itself....I hope it will give me interesting waves tomorrow, will report back :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF9364.jpg

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 08:02 AM
^ That method looks interesting, and something that might work for me, too! Thanks for sharing!

OK, my sock curls turned out to be a rather successful for a first attempt! Thank you Meteor for suggesting rag curls, these are like rag curls but done with thicker fabric, or in my case, with socks.

Photo in my blog: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=121252

I need to practice the placement a bit more, especially at the crown. The photo is of unstyled hair, I just shook the curls from the roots with my fingers. To wear them in public, I would need to style the crown area a little bit, as it ended up flat and the cowlick didn't quite tame enough. :D

gwenalyn
March 30th, 2015, 01:18 PM
^ That method looks interesting, and something that might work for me, too! Thanks for sharing!

OK, my sock curls turned out to be a rather successful for a first attempt! Thank you Meteor for suggesting rag curls, these are like rag curls but done with thicker fabric, or in my case, with socks.

I need to practice the placement a bit more, especially at the crown. The photo is of unstyled hair, I just shook the curls from the roots with my fingers. To wear them in public, I would need to style the crown area a little bit, as it ended up flat and the cowlick didn't quite tame enough. :D

I have a question--how do you get your hair and the sock dry in a reasonable amount of time? Any time I try, it seems like the sock absorbs the water from the hair and then the whole thing stays damp unless I leave the whole thing in for 24 hours.

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 01:28 PM
My hair was only slightly damp (cool to the touch) when I put the socks on my hair, it had air dried probably at least an hour or so (I didn't time it). I left them overnight, and they were dry, including the socks, in the morning. I don't really know how it dries, my hair tends to always dry during the night, no matter if it's braided or bunned. I was a bit afraid the socks would prevent the drying but no they didn't. Maybe the hair length has something to do with it too, mine doesn't wrap around the sock that many times yet.

BTW in some sock curl tutorials, they adviced to use this method on dry hair, only that just before wrapping the socks you would mist a little bit of water to the hair strands. I don't know how the end results would differ, really, but at least some people seemed to think that is the trick.

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I have just tried this as a style in itself, on slightly damp hair. It looks different from the video but I love it! I will wear this as its own style and any curls resulting will be an added bonus the next day. It feels wonderful (and looks it too, I think), is so comfortable to wear, no pulling or heavy buns to contend with...I think this style is a real head-turner in and of itself....I hope it will give me interesting waves tomorrow, will report back :)

Sarahlabyrinth, it looks phenomenal! :thud: What an awesome style!
Looking forward to hearing how the waves turned out as well. :D

Amazing results! :thud: I love the waves, their natural soft look and the volume! :applause

I have a question--how do you get your hair and the sock dry in a reasonable amount of time? Any time I try, it seems like the sock absorbs the water from the hair and then the whole thing stays damp unless I leave the whole thing in for 24 hours.

The only solution I found is to start with hair ~90% wet. If the hair is already dry, just spritz it with water a bit (or water + conditioner or water + oil) before setting. HTH! ;)

KittyBird
March 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, I love the look of that style! :thudpile: I made two attempts at it and gave up, because I got so confused about which way to twist! :lol:

Arctic, I think your waves look lovely! Nice and bouncy!

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Thank you Meteor and KittyBird! I like the results myself too, and am going to do these again! Nice to have options for cinnabun curls and braid waves!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 30th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Meteor and Kittybird, thank you!

So, I wore this into town today

and was in the fruit and vegetable shop. A woman who was standing in front of me dodged behind me a couple of times and I thought maybe I was blocking her path but when I turned around to ask if I was in her way she apologised and said she just was trying to get a closer look at my hair do, that it looked so lovely and asked if I did it myself.... She used to be a longhair but now has a short bob. It made my day really, as it is very rare to get hair compliments IRL out of the blue.

So, this afternoon I took the style down to see what waves it gave me and I got this: :(

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF9399.jpg

I thought I would be in some real trouble detangling the mess but in fact it all proceeded very smoothly and easily and left me with enormous volume but little in the way of waves.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF9400.jpg

It was an interesting experiment, at least.

BrendaLoan
March 30th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Sarahlabyrinth what a shame the waves didn't turned out like in the video, maybe it works better for shorter hair? However, the style looks GORGEOUS on your hair!!:crush:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 30th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Sarahlabyrinth what a shame the waves didn't turned out like in the video, maybe it works better for shorter hair? However, the style looks GORGEOUS on your hair!!:crush:

Thanks - yes, I love the look of the style on my hair. I guess I will have to continue the search for a good style for heatless curls...

Five of Five
March 30th, 2015, 11:26 PM
That style looks really lovely on you, Sarahlabyrinth - I'm not at all surprised it turned heads in the shop!

I generally have similar results to what you posted on the waves front whatever I try - that is, waves that fall out very quickly, but cause a lot of volume. I wonder if some people just have more 'stubborn' hair than others?

For me, wave techniques which give waves very similar to what I have naturally tend to stay much better (my natural wave pattern looks like faint braid-waves, right down to the straighter ends, and actual braid-waves do generally work for me) :hmm:

Meteor and Kittybird, thank you!

So, I wore this into town today

and was in the fruit and vegetable shop. A woman who was standing in front of me dodged behind me a couple of times and I thought maybe I was blocking her path but when I turned around to ask if I was in her way she apologised and said she just was trying to get a closer look at my hair do, that it looked so lovely and asked if I did it myself.... She used to be a longhair but now has a short bob. It made my day really, as it is very rare to get hair compliments IRL out of the blue.

So, this afternoon I took the style down to see what waves it gave me and I got this: :(

I thought I would be in some real trouble detangling the mess but in fact it all proceeded very smoothly and easily and left me with enormous volume but little in the way of waves.

It was an interesting experiment, at least.

KittyBird
March 31st, 2015, 03:12 AM
I decided to give my bendy rollers a go this morning. I wanted to get some volume and waves at the ends, and I'm pretty happy with the result. I spritzed with a bit of water, and used 8-10 rollers. I hate using the bendy rollers though. They're so annoying to roll up, and they kept poking me while I waited for my hair to dry. I bought some supercute strawberry foam rollers on ebay yesterday, maybe they'll be nicer to wear than the bendy rollers. :p

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair/Wavy%20copy_zpsifi80c23.jpg

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 08:19 AM
Sarahlabyrinth the updo did look great, no wonder you got compliment, it's very unique look! I am thinking of trying myself too, I think it could be done with my length, but it might not be public worthy. Too bad about the waves, but do I remember correctly, the video said these waves are not the pretties but best as prepping for another hairstyle. Now if you would do a bun it would look really big, with that volume, so take advantage of it :D

KittyBird nice results! I haven't seen bendy curler here in ages, I would like to buy them if I do see; we had those when I was kid and they were fun to use. I had fine straight hair then, and no curls ever stay more than few minutes, but they made a good impression on me.
I love your new colours too, and am starting to get an itch to dye my tip again too, my dip dye has faided a lot.

KittyBird
March 31st, 2015, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Arctic! :D What colours do you use for your dip dyes?

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 11:03 AM
I've used on my unbleached hair La Riché Directions Rubine red, it's a deep wine red, looks a lot like your colour in my hair! In the past I also used Directions Rose Red, which is a bright hot fuchsia colour, even on my brown hair. It was really "WOW" but maybe more for someone younger than me, lol! But Rubine is really nice!

missblueeyes
March 31st, 2015, 11:42 AM
I didn't read through the whole thread but what works best for me in terms of overnight, heatless waves is to do a simple cinnabun with a spin pin. I get huge, bouncy waves from that. :)

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 12:13 PM
Basic buns are nice also because there is no "looking silly" factor: I need to take my dog out multiple times daily, often late in the evening/night too, and I admit having sock curls set was - hmm - interesting.

gwenalyn
March 31st, 2015, 12:20 PM
My hair was only slightly damp (cool to the touch) when I put the socks on my hair, it had air dried probably at least an hour or so (I didn't time it). I left them overnight, and they were dry, including the socks, in the morning. I don't really know how it dries, my hair tends to always dry during the night, no matter if it's braided or bunned. I was a bit afraid the socks would prevent the drying but no they didn't. Maybe the hair length has something to do with it too, mine doesn't wrap around the sock that many times yet.

BTW in some sock curl tutorials, they adviced to use this method on dry hair, only that just before wrapping the socks you would mist a little bit of water to the hair strands. I don't know how the end results would differ, really, but at least some people seemed to think that is the trick.

Oh, so you start with mostly dry? My hair doesn't seem to "take" curls unless you can feel that it's wet, though, so maybe next time I'll wrap, then mist ... so many things to try!

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 03:11 PM
I understand that, gwenalyn, my hair used to almost your hair type. I never got curls to stay :( I hope your's is not as hopeless as mine was. My current hair type seems to take curl quite well, specially my wavy underside. My straight canopy is little more difficult. You probably would need some styling products too, mousse maybe?

Hmm, I think synthetic fibre fabric strips (or socks/cut down pantyhoses, etc) would help the drying. Cotton fabric or socks probably holds onto the water much more and make drying time longer. And I would guess that the looser you wrap the hair, the faster it dries, but it needs to be tight enough to hold through the night.

I am doing a little test as I type. I washed my hair and put a sock curl at my crown (and head band curles for the rest of my hair), and I put these on on very wet hair, maybe 15 minutes post wash. My Sock today is synthetic material and not cotton. I'll let you know if it dries or not.

Other ideas for you might be traditional pin curls, where the loops are pinned not against the head, but so that they stick up --> will dry better even when done on wet hair.

Also traditonal curlers, where the air can circulate inside the curler, but these would be difficult to sleep with.

And headband curls, they might dry easier?

PamelaViktoria
March 31st, 2015, 03:12 PM
Pony tail bun :)

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 03:16 PM
Pony tail bun :) What's that like? What kind of curls you get from it?

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 11:26 AM
My hybrid curling method was semi-successful. I did one sock curl at the crown of my head and the hair around it I wrapped around a hairband. I did this all on very wet hair.

On sock curl I used synthetic material sock. I used few bobbypins too, to make sure the sock wouldn't sag over night, and that worked with no visible bobby pin marks. My hair did dry completely during the night, but my night was more like 10 hours than 7, so I don't know exactly how long it took to dry.

The headband curls turned out to be super curly. It had been a while since I did them last time, and I can't ever remember having this tight curls before. I must have wrapped very thin sections now, much thinner than previously. So good thing to remember with headband curls: if you want looser/bigger curls, wrap thicker/bigger sections losely. For tight curls, wrap thinner sections more tightly. These curls also dried completely, but I think this type of curling method doesn't usually have problems of not drying during the night. Oh, and I usually have had problems with the back hair staying wrapped around the band, I guess because of how short the hair is there at it's shortest (nape hair). This time I used some bobby pins to secure the nape area and it worked really well! I got nice curls at the back too!

The overall look was a bit strange. Both curling methods made pretty curl, but they didn't quite play together nicely :D There was this super tightly curled fringe all around my hair and loose nice bouncy curls at the crown, which cascaded at the back - but then there were these super curly nape hairs under the cascading loose curls :D I felt like a character of Jane Austen novel, add empire line dress and it would have been perfect!

I dealt with the curls by making a nice, soft half-up, which brought out the best of both curls and tied them visually together.

Yarrow
April 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
When I went to school , I used to do handkerchief curls/waves.
I'd take my damp hair, put in a ponytail and then roll it from the bottom up with the handkerchief and then tie the handkerchief around the pony into a bun like thing. In the morning, my hair would be dry and wavy and I didn't have to waste much time styling it. I should try it out again...

gwenalyn
April 1st, 2015, 02:33 PM
I understand that, gwenalyn, my hair used to almost your hair type. I never got curls to stay :( I hope your's is not as hopeless as mine was. My current hair type seems to take curl quite well, specially my wavy underside. My straight canopy is little more difficult. You probably would need some styling products too, mousse maybe?

Hmm, I think synthetic fibre fabric strips (or socks/cut down pantyhoses, etc) would help the drying. Cotton fabric or socks probably holds onto the water much more and make drying time longer. And I would guess that the looser you wrap the hair, the faster it dries, but it needs to be tight enough to hold through the night.

I am doing a little test as I type. I washed my hair and put a sock curl at my crown (and head band curles for the rest of my hair), and I put these on on very wet hair, maybe 15 minutes post wash. My Sock today is synthetic material and not cotton. I'll let you know if it dries or not.

Other ideas for you might be traditional pin curls, where the loops are pinned not against the head, but so that they stick up --> will dry better even when done on wet hair.

Also traditonal curlers, where the air can circulate inside the curler, but these would be difficult to sleep with.

And headband curls, they might dry easier?

Thanks for all the advice! The synthetic fabric idea is great, I have some pantyhose with runs that I should chop up!

Headband curls used to work, but have started taking forever to dry too! They also curl the front pieces well and the back pieces not at all. Pin curls seem too time-intensive, though I'll definitely try them someday, and curlers are hard to sleep with ... my, I'm picky, aren't I?

I dealt with the curls by making a nice, soft half-up, which brought out the best of both curls and tied them visually together.

Yes, this is my go-to with failed hair experiments!

Yesterday I got great waves/big curls with the black scrunchy method, but instead of wet-setting, I hairsprayed my loose hair a ton, let it dry, brushed the whole thing so it moved properly (bonus, extra shine, who knew?), then tried the black scrunchy method overnight. It lasted all day! I'm excited to try again next wash cycle to see if it works again!

I've always wanted wavy/curly hair but never put in the time and effort to find *the* method for me. But now I have a great excuse, because my bad ombre job just doesn't look good unless the hair is curled somehow :)

JustPam
April 2nd, 2015, 03:01 AM
I got some nice wurls by just splitting my hair down the middle and bringing each half over my shoulders, twisting the sections and folding them back on themselves so they twizzled together like a rope braid, secured with a soft hairtie (they looked like baby pigtails, cute) and then tucked them up into a wide headband overnight. I was in a rush for work this morning though so couldn't get a picture, sorry!

Arctic
April 2nd, 2015, 04:38 PM
When I went to school , I used to do handkerchief curls/waves.
I'd take my damp hair, put in a ponytail and then roll it from the bottom up with the handkerchief and then tie the handkerchief around the pony into a bun like thing. In the morning, my hair would be dry and wavy and I didn't have to waste much time styling it. I should try it out again...

There was recently a thread about this same (or very similar) method. I tried to do it, but it seemed to pull my scalp hair, s I took it down. Might just need some practice.

Thanks for all the advice! The synthetic fabric idea is great, I have some pantyhose with runs that I should chop up!

Headband curls used to work, but have started taking forever to dry too! They also curl the front pieces well and the back pieces not at all. Pin curls seem too time-intensive, though I'll definitely try them someday, and curlers are hard to sleep with ... my, I'm picky, aren't I?

Yes, this is my go-to with failed hair experiments!

Yesterday I got great waves/big curls with the black scrunchy method, but instead of wet-setting, I hairsprayed my loose hair a ton, let it dry, brushed the whole thing so it moved properly (bonus, extra shine, who knew?), then tried the black scrunchy method overnight. It lasted all day! I'm excited to try again next wash cycle to see if it works again!

I've always wanted wavy/curly hair but never put in the time and effort to find *the* method for me. But now I have a great excuse, because my bad ombre job just doesn't look good unless the hair is curled somehow :)

Let us know how the synthetic fabric works! Ha ha, what is with old pantyhose, they seem to reproduce at the dark corners of wardrobes and drawers when humans turn their backs to them!

I have tried the scrunchy method, I think my hair is too short. BUt maybe I could make a hybrid method to work: upper layer/canopy on scrunchy and under layer and front bits on headband... hmm... Fantastic that you got the scrunchie method work!

I LOLed that the halfup might be a universal "failed curling attempt" rescue style :D

I got some nice wurls by just splitting my hair down the middle and bringing each half over my shoulders, twisting the sections and folding them back on themselves so they twizzled together like a rope braid, secured with a soft hairtie (they looked like baby pigtails, cute) and then tucked them up into a wide headband overnight. I was in a rush for work this morning though so couldn't get a picture, sorry!

Sounds nice and easy!

Update on my semi-successful curls I wrote about earlier: WOW the headband curled parts had an AMAZING staying power! They were just as sproingy in the evening and still looked great even on next day (today)! Now how could I make my whole hair to curl like that and not just the Jane Austen edges??? Maybe a combo of headband plus a scrunchie methods?

-Fern
April 2nd, 2015, 11:00 PM
Update on my semi-successful curls I wrote about earlier: WOW the headband curled parts had an AMAZING staying power! They were just as sproingy in the evening and still looked great even on next day (today)! Now how could I make my whole hair to curl like that and not just the Jane Austen edges??? Maybe a combo of headband plus a scrunchie methods?

Nice, Arctic! That sounds really fun and pretty. Maybe multiple headbands (http://mystylebell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Cute-Updo-With-Headband.jpg), and sectioning your hair to distribute it between them? Though that is pretty anti-grav right there, not sure how to make them stay in place... :hmm:

Arctic
April 7th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Nice, Arctic! That sounds really fun and pretty. Maybe multiple headbands (http://mystylebell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Cute-Updo-With-Headband.jpg), and sectioning your hair to distribute it between them? Though that is pretty anti-grav right there, not sure how to make them stay in place... :hmm:

Antigravity is my middle name :D Ok I have no idea where that came from, ha ha, but I'll have to try it one of these nights!

Semi-failed attempt of curling my hair, again.

My hair was terribly frizzy last night for some reason (I had a dip dyeing day and piled all different things to one day, and my hair didn't seem to like it, even though I have done all of these things before too, with no such frizzy results). Anyway I needed something to smooth my hair, so slathered on leave-in conditioner and made 2 rope braided buns, one at the crown and one below it. Left them overnight (hair was dry).

Well my hair got softer and the wiryness and frizzyness had calmed down. I also got good amount of curls, which started from the roots and were relatively evenly distributed (only the very front of my hair didn't have curl due to the placement of the buns). But the curls were not really pretty at all. Good for putting my hair up to give some poof to buns and braids, but not nice to wear down. I have to say I was expecting a lot more, I was expecting sort of cork screw type curls? Granted I didn't really do anything to the curls other than shake them. That might be one of my problems. As a person who had naturally straight hair for most of my life, styling curls just escapes me. I did have perms in the 80s and early 90s, but even then I usually just brushed the curls out to give my hair volume. Anyway, I sort of expect the curls to look good right away, and if they don't I keep looking for another method.

So, so far I have 3 relatively good methods: cinnabun or cinnabuns, rag curls made with socks, and crown braids.

Auni
April 17th, 2015, 06:05 AM
http://s5.postimg.org/4497nutw3/20150417_062535_resized_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4497nutw3/)
I did the "wrap your hair around a scrunchy" last night and this morning it looks like I used hot rollers!!
http://s5.postimg.org/t90819tcj/20150417_062345_resized.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/t90819tcj/)
These are very close to my natural curl, but bigger, and the best part...no heat or gel!! Too bad I'm wearing my hair up daily.

lapushka
April 17th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Turned out pretty, Auni!

Auni
April 17th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Turned out pretty, Auni!

Thank you:o

lapushka
April 20th, 2015, 06:53 AM
This is a heatless wave tutorial (although I don't get why she does it as she has waves of her own that are pretty neat):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WdyMVyDls

LeMimi13
May 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I have a question: I have tried flexi rods for the curly look, the "2009-2011 Taylor Swift look" if that makes sense, but my bottom layer seems to curl more than yje top, and it seems like my lenght shrinls too mich considering I already have wavy hair on my own. Should I slightly brush out the curls on tje bottom layer and leave the rest for a layered look? Is it possible thag my hair lools darker with flexi rods? How many should I use with iii , about 36inches long hair? Any tips to get more volume and less "separation"?

Althea1984
May 14th, 2015, 12:51 PM
For Heatless waves I use my curling iron (not turned on of course) on slightly damp hair. I section my hair and wrap my hair around the barrel as if I were curling it then slide the barrel out while holding the curl in my hand and pin it like that to my head. That way all the curls are uniform.

lapushka
May 14th, 2015, 02:15 PM
For Heatless waves I use my curling iron (not turned on of course) on slightly damp hair. I section my hair and wrap my hair around the barrel as if I were curling it then slide the barrel out while holding the curl in my hand and pin it like that to my head. That way all the curls are uniform.

That's actually a great way to use a curling iron - cold. :lol:

LeMimi13
May 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM
But should you brush them out a bit?

Arctic
August 25th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I am trying this Abstract braid tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq8XASx-jU
It was posted here previously. I'll let you know tomorrow, how my hair turns out. My braid itself isn't as fun looking as the one demonstrated on the video, but it's nice enough that I could wear it in public. That's important to me, as I need to take my dog out in the late evenings and as soon as I wake up, I can't do that with rollers or pin curls or rag curls, really.

tigress86
August 26th, 2015, 12:28 AM

That is genius! I will definitely give it a try.

Arctic
August 26th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I am trying this Abstract braid tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq8XASx-jU
It was posted here previously. I'll let you know tomorrow, how my hair turns out. My braid itself isn't as fun looking as the one demonstrated on the video, but it's nice enough that I could wear it in public. That's important to me, as I need to take my dog out in the late evenings and as soon as I wake up, I can't do that with rollers or pin curls or rag curls, really.

Curls turned out ok, quite natural looking with few lovely ringlets. I'll try to post photos later. The video says she uses this method when prepping for some other style, and I think she has a good reason to, because there are prettier heatless waves/curls out there. Interestingly, I get less waves from rope braids even though this is quite smilar method.

I did plan in advance to make a bun today (I wanted it to be big :D) so these waves/curls are very good for this, like I suspected! I was actually more interested of the cool looking braid itself, than the waves, but like I wrote yesterday, mine didn't come out as zigzaggy as hers, and wasn't as interesting looking.

I needed lot of bobby pins to secure the braid, especially the bunned tail at the nape. I had way too many bobby pins in the nape area for comfort. The bun also was not great to sleep with. I might try an upside down version some day, where I'd start from the nape and bun at the top of the head. Would be easier to sleep with.

Arctic
August 28th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Decided not to bother posting any pics. The curls looked worse in pics than IRL, and they weren't awesome to begin with, so... you guys are not going to miss anything. (Plus my mobile phone camera doesn't take good photos in indoor light.) So yeah, the abstract braid gives good curls to work as a base for another hairstyle, but aren't probably the best choise to be worn just like that - just like the tutorial suggested.

EmmAutumn
September 27th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I think i just found my new favourite way to do heatless curls!

I found this tutorial on pinterest, decided to give it a try.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/1200x/dc/20/3b/dc203b69704e1dbc7ba542f0e2a0c2e6.jpg

And this is the result!
http://i57.tinypic.com/2zz86qe.jpg
I really like it, the best thing is that this takes NO TIME at all to do :D
I just followed the tutorial, took it out in the morning and applied a tiny bit of coney serum.

lapushka
September 27th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I think i just found my new favourite way to do heatless curls!

I found this tutorial on pinterest, decided to give it a try.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/1200x/dc/20/3b/dc203b69704e1dbc7ba542f0e2a0c2e6.jpg

And this is the result!
http://i57.tinypic.com/2zz86qe.jpg
I really like it, the best thing is that this takes NO TIME at all to do :D
I just followed the tutorial, took it out in the morning and applied a tiny bit of coney serum.

Pretty! :D

Upside Down
September 27th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Very pretty indeed!

Arctic
September 27th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Yes, I liked that method too, the only bad thing I can see is that it needs a ponytail which can be damaging over time.

EmmAutumn
September 27th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks!

Arctic, yeah it's probably not the best idea to sleep in a ponytail very often but then again it's too uncomfortable (to me, can't speak for anybody else) to do every night :p

luxurioushair
September 27th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I decided to give my bendy rollers a go this morning. I wanted to get some volume and waves at the ends, and I'm pretty happy with the result. I spritzed with a bit of water, and used 8-10 rollers. I hate using the bendy rollers though. They're so annoying to roll up, and they kept poking me while I waited for my hair to dry. I bought some supercute strawberry foam rollers on ebay yesterday, maybe they'll be nicer to wear than the bendy rollers. :p

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair/Wavy%20copy_zpsifi80c23.jpg

Wow beautiful, I like it!!! :inlove::inlove:

gwenalyn
March 12th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Reviving this thread, because it's why I'm back on LHC! Sad to see it died--definitely the most complete no-heat curling thread.

I haven't done any no-heat curling since I cut to APL in November, but now that it's down to BSL I'm longing for curls and waves and ringlets again. Last I was here, I was using the scrunchie method and promised to try using nylon to see if it would dry faster. The experiments begin!

Petulia
March 13th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I noticed that if you sleep with a regular 3 strand braid, in the morning when you take it out, the waves don't actually last that long (not on my hair anyway) because there's only 3 strands. So I always sleep with a 5 or 6 strand braid. Regular 3 strands usually give the appearance of 2b waves but if you try a 5 or 6 strand braid I think you could manage to get slightly more defined 3A waves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JyiaPuG6w This is the 5 strand braid tutorial that I always recommend because she shows very slowly and repetitively how to do the braid.

Lisa-K
March 13th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I don't know why some people mention they do braids instead, because braids give a completely different result, so that's not even a comparable hairstyle in my humble opinion. The results that girl got in her youtube video was much closer to that of a wide curling iron; where the waves are more pronounced around your face and are swept outwards, away from the face.

Whenever my hair gets long enough, I'll give it a shot. But I'm pretty sure I'll mess it up somehow. Or my hair will just do its own weird thing and instantly go straight on some sections, while the other parts will have awkward waves in all directions. I move way too much at night for this to work lol But I'll give it a try in the future.

Also, her video looked like a herbal essence commercial! Haha!

Thoughtfulnod
June 22nd, 2016, 03:35 PM
I found a fun way to make heatless waves using a hairstick that you can wear out to work. I liked the headband and hair donut heatless curls/waves, but I wanted something that I could wear out in public while my hair dries. It takes about 3-4 hours to dry, and I've got stuff to do, haha.

Take a hairstick and wrap your hair around it firmly, then twist it up and do that "sewing" motion to lock it up and in place at the back of your head. It looks like a messy bun, but your hair will dry in a great wavy pattern. I found it gave a more defined wave or curl then just doing a damp twisted bun, but not as "crimped" of a look as when I put my wet hair into braided pigtails (also, I don't like wearing braided pigtails to work, lol). . If you separate your hair into two halves and use two sticks, then you get more of a curly look.