PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Preferences?

hennalonghair
February 13th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Oversized singles?
Fat & chunky doubles?
Curved or kinky?
Long & slender?
Other!

I've recently been introduced to the wonderful world of oversized acrylics and found they hold so well for me.
My first acrylic sticks I purchased off someone here and while I like them, I now prefer the oversized ones.
This first oversized one is an EAD (blue water)? and its awesome . I've got a set of purple thin EAD sticks but they don't stay in my hair as nicely as the oversized one does.

What style of acrylics do you prefer and why?

My reasons for over sized are:

- perfect for wet or damp hair, swimming or bathing
- hold like a rock all day long
- great for under hats or hoods
- smooth edges
- easy to insert
- short enough that you aren't a danger to others by poking them in the eye

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I am in total awe :agape: of your profile pic and siggy pic hennalonghair!! WOW!!

I love my thick acrylics from Crockett Mountain Woodworks on Etsy for all the same reasons you like yours. I am still intrigues by ONN Outnumbered Novelties, but am saving my pennies for awhile as I am on a hairtoy purchasing hiatus.

But, they are my go to hairtoys!! ;) And practically indestructible as well. Cheers! :cheer:

Stellaaa
February 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I picked "Other" because my favourite acrylics are my Crockett Mountain forks.

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Lady idun or ketylos for me

sourgrl
February 13th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I picked other; I like a fat single :) I haven't tried an ONN oval yet. At the moment I don't have a 'need' for any acrylic sticks so I don't see myself making a ONN order anytime soon just to give the ovals a try, especially given the wait time. I've tried oversized Eads but I wasn't able to find a comfy way to insert them :( While I wish Eads were a little thicker I still prefer his acrylics to everyone else (ONN and CMW). The overall shape/Polish is top notch (IMO)

ETA: I do also like Ladyidun! But my scalp has become very sensitive to the combined weight of hair and hairtoy, making Eads my go to acrylics.

Hootenanny
February 13th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I chose oversized singles (like LI's), curved and kinky, and also other. Other is acrylic forks. Love 'em!

meteor
February 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Great idea for a thread! :applause
Sorry, I haven't tried any acrylics so I'm of no help here, but I'm interested to read other LHC-ers ideas!

Can thin/slender acrylics break easily? They look so beautiful but kind of dainty...

hennalonghair
February 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I am in total awe :agape: of your profile pic and siggy pic hennalonghair!! WOW!!

I love my thick acrylics from Crockett Mountain Woodworks on Etsy for all the same reasons you like yours. I am still intrigues by ONN Outnumbered Novelties, but am saving my pennies for awhile as I am on a hairtoy purchasing hiatus.

But, they are my go to hairtoys!! ;) And practically indestructible as well. Cheers! :cheer:thanks Longcurlytress .
I figured you'd love acrylics especially since you're a swimmer too. Aren't they awesome.
Unfortunately I can't afford much either but I do have some toys I am either trading or selling so I can try a variety of hair toys.
My very first hairtoy I got obsessed with was the flexi so I stocked up . If I were to do it all over again I would have gotten one of each of everyrhing.
Acrylic stick, acrylic fork, flexi, ficcare, Ivory fork etc...
Luckily I am also in all the seasonal LHC swaps which is great because it gives me a chance to check other things out.
I would never have thought about A Pink Ivory Fork but luckily Hele did.
That's another thing I've been doing lately is paying attention to other members with similar hair texture as mine to see what they are using. It's very helpful.
Thank you:D

I picked "Other" because my favourite acrylics are my Crockett Mountain forks.
Hadn't really considered acrylic forks before but good idea.

Lady idun or ketylos for mewell you are class all the way

I picked other; I like a fat single :) I haven't tried an ONN oval yet. At the moment I don't have a 'need' for any acrylic sticks so I don't see myself making a ONN order anytime soon just to give the ovals a try, especially given the wait time. I've tried oversized Eads but I wasn't able to find a comfy way to insert them :( While I wish Eads were a little thicker I still prefer his acrylics to everyone else (ONN and CMW). The overall shape/Polish is top notch (IMO)

ETA: I do also like Ladyidun! But my scalp has become very sensitive to the combined weight of hair and hairtoy, making Eads my go to acrylics.
I've never tried ovals either but that sounds interesting : hmm:
Ladyiduns are absolutely stunning and one day I will get one but for now I'll just drool over every one else's.

I chose oversized singles (like LI's), curved and kinky, and also other. Other is acrylic forks. Love 'em!
Another acrylic fork:thumbsup:
See you ladies have had more experience with these hairtoys than me .
Thanks for sharing your preferences. It's very helpful.

Stormynights
February 13th, 2015, 11:56 AM
I didn't vote because I have never tried the curvy acrylics. I love the oversized sticks though. I also love the beaded 8 in your sig. It is absolutely stunning.

hennalonghair
February 13th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I haven't tried any acrylics so I'm of no help here, but I'm interested to read other LHC-ers ideas!

Can thin/slender acrylics break easily? They look so beautiful but kind of dainty...

Not that I would think but I'm not experienced enough to say for certain. I've got two slender purple EADS and they are very strong. They just offer a 100% waterproof factor that wood can't offer AND are just so much fun.
There's some gorgeous blends of colours that are made. Very cool.

hennalonghair
February 13th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I didn't vote because I have never tried the curvy acrylics. I love the oversized sticks though. I also love the beaded 8 in your sig. It is absolutely stunning.

Thank you Stormycakes. It's so nice to see you back:flowers:

Anje
February 13th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I like my Iduns, but being a woman of simple tastes, I most often wear some fairly stubby little Eads in colors that appeal to me. That said, today I'm wearing these, which I got as a gift and don't know the maker of. Usually I'm a 1-stick sort, but 2 work well in a braided bun. :)
http://s29.postimg.org/ajmy4a8vn/20150213_140247.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ajmy4a8vn/)

MINAKO
February 13th, 2015, 12:34 PM
i like my clear ketylos and have two acrylic forks on the smaller side that i use together. so anything curved or double pointed would do it for me i guess. not so sure about smooth sticks in case they slip, but i figured out this can be avoided with wrapping a small silicone elastic around the top part of the stick.
i would really want a lady idun one with a topper and a chevelure fork. havent tried eads yet but their tip doesnt look pointy enough to my liking.

hennalonghair
February 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I'd probably like Iduns but with my simple finances I will have to stick with Ead sticks for now.
That's a nice set you have Anje. I like using the thicker sets of acrylics. My first set was Sedona Sunset which I can still wear since it has muted tangerine and pinkish purples . It went with my regular coloured henna and the pinkish purple henna I have now.

I'm vERY interested in checking out an acrylic fork :D they sound practical as well as colourful.

Taenarian
February 13th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Vanilla Ead sticks comprise the majority of my StickStash but I do prefer the sqiggly sort.

Beborani
February 14th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I try to be a minimalist but even then I have more acrylics than I need--a few 6 in acrylic sticks lying around the house and car and my go-to two pronged acrylic fork. The fork is supercomfy! I like that they are colorful, smooth and virtually indestructible.

hennalonghair
February 14th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Yep! That oversized acrylic stick is super comfy. I also like the fact that I can wear shorter sticks with the acrylic. There isn't as much of stabbing someone else. At least the ones I've tried so far.

Aderyn
February 14th, 2015, 09:04 PM

One of my Ead sticks was thrown across the room, hit a wall, then fell down a flight of stairs and is still good to go... so I think it's fair to say they're pretty sturdy. Never had a problem with them, even when there's a lot of torque when inserting them.

bonbon58
February 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I only have a single ead, haven't even tried the other options yet :p

Do you prefer oversized singles or "normal" pairs from Ead?

sapphire-o
February 17th, 2015, 05:54 AM
I like slender, pointy pairs. Tried an oversized EAD but it's a bit too big for me.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I voted long and slender because, at least for the moment, anything chunky or thick tends to fall right out of my fine, not thick hair. Long and slender works better for me as I can weave it through my bun and get that puppy locked down. I love acrylics in spiral sticks and forks, so much.

Why I love acrylics? *sigh so many reasons. They don't fade or change color (and they come in every color!!), you can use them in wet or dry hair and wet or dry weather. Also they are virtually indestructible, outside of being run over by a large vehicle all my acrylics have survived intact the many difficulties I have thrown at them.

I can't say the same for the wooden counterparts I have.

Hele
February 17th, 2015, 03:44 PM
i'm a big acrylic fan and i have a rainbow of them. I prefer the oversize sticks, they hold my hair like no other. I also buy pairs though because i like to mix and match them, and i hold the pair together and insert them in my bun like they're one big stick. I had a bit of a scare the other day, i went to put a single regular sized stick in my post-wash hair and i swear i felt it bend under the weight of my hair as i put it in, these might not be as unbreakable as i thought. shudder: And i absolutely cannot use acrylic forks, i bought a CM one and the tines couldn't get through my brick wall of hair. Which makes me sad, they're so pretty!

and Sterlyn, how did your acrylic come to be run over by a large vehicle? This sounds like a story we all need to hear! :D

ashke50
February 17th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I voted other. I only have two acrylics so far, and they are both forks. I love them! Super comfortable, pretty colours, and happy with rain. Perfect.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM
i'm a big acrylic fan and i have a rainbow of them. I prefer the oversize sticks, they hold my hair like no other. I also buy pairs though because i like to mix and match them, and i hold the pair together and insert them in my bun like they're one big stick. I had a bit of a scare the other day, i went to put a single regular sized stick in my post-wash hair and i swear i felt it bend under the weight of my hair as i put it in, these might not be as unbreakable as i thought. shudder: And i absolutely cannot use acrylic forks, i bought a CM one and the tines couldn't get through my brick wall of hair. Which makes me sad, they're so pretty!

and Sterlyn, how did your acrylic come to be run over by a large vehicle? This sounds like a story we all need to hear! :D

*laughing, no I think I worded that badly, none of my acrylics have been run over by vehicles, I meant I think they would survive everything but that, but as many times as I have lost them outside its a wonder that hasn't happened yet. I've lost them while riding (my horse) on our property and its' somewhere in a 4 acre area:rolleyes:. I have had a fork fall into a bucket of water once (took me a while to find that one), and in the paddock while working around the horses, thankfully they never stepped on it, but it did need cleaned up. And also since I wear them the most, I've had all the mundane stuff happen like lost in the couch, or the car and once at the doctors office. At the doctors office, I didn't even realize it until a nice lady said "I think your stick "thingy" fell on the floor over there", *derp didn't even notice. My hair is a slippery bugger and it just likes to slither hair toys right out of my hair like a ninja sometimes.........

Hele
February 17th, 2015, 05:37 PM
*laughing, no I think I worded that badly, none of my acrylics have been run over by vehicles, I meant I think they would survive everything but that, but as many times as I have lost them outside its a wonder that hasn't happened yet.

man, i had such a great mental image of a hair stick getting run over, haha. But i feel you on their escape artist quality, they don't fall out of my hair but if i set them down somewhere it's like they make a run for it. I once about dismantled my bed looking for a Tiger Ead stick that had rolled off the edge of the bed, it's like it disappeared into another dimension or something and it's one of my favorites, i couldn't give up the search!

hennalonghair
February 17th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I like mixing and matching also which is great cause I like matching my hairtoys with whatever I'm wearing.
The oversized stays in place from first thing in the morning to when I take it out at night. There's no way one of these sticks could possibly slip out of my hair. The thin ones just don't hold as well but if I have enough of them they would