PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting my hair cut

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 05:33 AM
I only really thought about it yesterday but I really like the idea of getting my hair cut and shaped and having a fringe cut in again, I want to get my hair neatened up and shaped into a v (like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/30/a1/4a/30a14a1043566d05d14ac8fd3cbd7f5e.jpg), including the layers) again, it currently is a v but hasn't been cut since I initially had the v shape cut (many many months ago) I also want some face framing layers and a fringe like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/06/7d/f6/067df6212276a1f2339755b3b4344cc6.jpg) as a weight loss reward/motivation/new look kind of thing but I'm worried my hair dresser is going to cut it shorter than I want which she does sometimes, but I don't trust anyone else with my hair (for one I don't have the money as she is much more affordable than a salon, plus I'd have anxiety with them going anywhere near my hair with scissors if I didn't know them) I'm not sure she'd understand what I'm asking for if I didn't show her pictures.
What should I do? give it a few weeks?

Gertrude
February 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Yes, at least two (-: weeks. And see if something special like a moisture treatment or conditioning your hair helps make you feel better. Look at updos too, experiment. They're often harder with more layers. Whispering, perhaps new hair toy? Don't want to enable..........

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Yes, at least two (-: weeks. And see if something special like a moisture treatment or conditioning your hair helps make you feel better. Look at updos too, experiment. They're often harder with more layers. Whispering, perhaps new hair toy? Don't want to enable..........

:lol:
Well I feel like it definitely needs a bit of a shape/trim, it just seems to hang and look a bit dull, I'm not sure about the fringe and want to try out a clip in one instead but I don't know if it would look realistic or just awful.
Think I will give it a pamper tonight as I've neglected it too much and see how it looks after a really good condition and oil

Cristina84
could you send us a picture? :)

MINAKO
why not reward yourself with something less permanent and leave the hair alone for some time, at least until you are absolutely sure that its the right thing to do?
the fringe looks very pretty on the woman in the picture i have to say, buti agree with Gertrude on the extreme V shape, its just to hard to manage in updos. Personally i think the example has way to much layering going on, it almost look like someone who is halfway done clipping in their extensions, if you take that to the front theres alot of volume at the crown possible but almost no hair left at the bottom on either side.

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 05:55 AM
could you send us a picture? :)

Of my hair?
I've not even posted one yet :o

Cristina84
February 13th, 2015, 05:56 AM
You don't want it?:o

MINAKO
February 13th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Of my hair?
I've not even posted one yet :O

we dont bite, you should know that by now ;)

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 05:57 AM
we dont bite, you should know that by now ;)

I'll have to take one now, I'm not sure how...need an extra pair of hands

Cristina84
February 13th, 2015, 06:00 AM
if you have a mirror it can be easier!
anyway If you don't want it's ok!
it was just a way to see your situation and be much more helpful ;)

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Took one! (https://41.media.tumblr.com/87bacc8ba65d04925ce0b0071c43b94d/tumblr_njpog3PBZ31s7ifvdo1_540.jpg)
It's longer than I thought, but you can see thefloofy-ness of my mop. I did just brush it but that's pretty much how it looks all the time unless I air dry it after washing without any combing/brushing at all

Cristina84
February 13th, 2015, 06:12 AM
:bigeyes:
they are perfect!!!
why you want to cut them? :confused:

pixldust
February 13th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Oh my goodness, you have beautiful hair! Please invoke the two-week rule before you decide to cut it.

MINAKO
February 13th, 2015, 06:26 AM
my vote goes to "hands off" as well, but of course its your decision, no matter what anyone says on here.
i stick to what i said about the fringe tho, its a very pretty and feminine look. if it suits your face and you would want to commit to styling it and keeping it that way for a while and not immediately regret it and grow it out, theres no argument against it.
what about color expiriments? maybe a little temporary fun would do the trick to give you that feeling of change.
the hairstyle im stringing together in mind for you now is zoe deschanel in new girl. buy a clip in fringe to try, the risk of wasting a few buck is nothing against the risk of a cut you might not like.

ETA: her name is zooey (???)! my bad :P

Marika
February 13th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I agree, your hair looks great! :) But I do understand this 'reward' thing... I cut my hair from tbl to shoulder length after I lost a lot of weight and wanted to be 'fresh' looking and leave my hair down all the time (because I think I'm prettier with my hair down). I loved it and didn't really think about hair (or LHC) at all for two years. Then I became interested in long hair again and realized, that's my 'thing'. Now my hair is almost hip length. Hair grows back (and weight comes back :oops:) but I do regret the chop a little bit because my hair would be maybe classic length if I hadn't cut.

lapushka
February 13th, 2015, 06:42 AM
It looks so long, and perfectly fine and even to be honest. I wouldn't go cutting it shorter. It doesn't need evening up. What's there to even up. Gorgeous hair, BTW!

Majorane
February 13th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Two week rule, two week rule, two week ruuuuuuule! Wait at least two weeks from now on, so, that would be the 27th. You can go and cut it afterwards if you still want but not before the 27th!
Also, go to ebay and look for clip in bangs or fringe in your color and desired shape. Yeah, those three dollar synthetic ones. Want to treat yourself? Buy one of those! You can cut and style them all you want and then decide if you want a fringe. .....Of course I have been known to wake up, walk to the bathroom and snip in some bangs in my hair with literally less than 5 minutes of pondering about the subject, buuuuuuut I am a chronic bang-oholic. (....that sounds dirty..... but, ehm :eyebrows:) But never ever ever again am I snipping off length without the two week rule!

You are looking for a change I take it, both from this post and the make up one. Makes sense! It's spring, almost! I am restless too! But stay off the hair. Or go manicpanic on it or something. Noooooooooooo hasty layering.

Oh and your hair looks great.

Anje
February 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Your hair looks lovely!

I was realizing last night, for some reason this is the time of year that I want to mess with my hair. It was about February when I first used henna. It was January when I joined LHC. Last year, I dyed my hair purple-black with a temp dye and last night I was itching to DO something with my hair again.

The last foot of my hair got that same purple-black dye from last year, last night. :D

My point is, these patterns exist, and it helps to be aware of them and gauge how much you want to allow yourself to make an impulsive change. My solution is to take a deep breath, put down the scissors, and go get some funky colored wash out dye. (Mine is Adore, but Manic Panic is the most well known of that class of dyes.) Skip the bleach, accept that it'll be a bit subtle, and make a change that won't set you back if you want longer hair.

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM
wow thank you for all the compliments on my hair, I thought it looked awful myself, although smoother than expected.
By cut I didn't mean going short more just trim off splits and v shape it a bit more.
I can't colour my hair as i have henna on and without bleaching I don't think it would look that good, maybe I could re-henna it, there is a fair bit of root growth...
Majorane I am looking for a big change, new clothes, change up my hair a bit but it's deciding what to actually do with it, I get so easily bored with my hair (part of me really wants to buy a long wig in a slightly lighter colour with a fringe and everything)

Anje
February 13th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Mine has henna in it too. That influences the dye I choose: green just isn't likely to work. But the temp dye doesn't seem to interact negatively with it. ETA: Something with peroxide, even as a developer, might cause problems for someone who has used a dye with indigo in it, and I'd treat any henna dye that claimed to be a color (like burgundy, mahogany, etc) as having indigo to be safe.

Majorane
February 13th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Then go buy the wig! I have a few of those, especially the longer ones with bangs and a bit of volume can look really realistic for a few wears and they aren't expensive when you know how to look for them on eBay. (beware the high shipping cost listings!) Like, for 25 USD you can get quite a nice one.

Also, you cannot bleach over henna (well you can, but you really do not want to). Buuut you can totally manicpanic with darker blue, green, black or red over it, in an ombre or an underlayerrainbow or what have you. You could also try one of those colorb4 treatments from the succesful henna removal thread, that will keep you entertained for at least a day when you apply and three days afterwards with the reconditioning and eager studying of results.

If you like the layers that lady has that you showed, well go for it, but I know very little people that have thick enough hair to pull that deep of a V off. Now you are an ii/iii, but beware, you need A Lot for that look.

I vote for a wig!

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Mine has henna in it too. That influences the dye I choose: green just isn't likely to work. But the temp dye doesn't seem to interact negatively with it. ETA: Something with peroxide, even as a developer, might cause problems for someone who has used a dye with indigo in it, and I'd treat any henna dye that claimed to be a color (like burgundy, mahogany, etc) as having indigo to be safe.

I don't know enough about my henna to risk putting peroxide on it, although when my hairdresser tried on a section of my hair she took and said she wouldn't bleach my hair, I think it was down to damage but she didn't say anything about a reaction, I'd still not risk it.
i'm not sure if my job would be too accepting of unusual hair colours too, not that they would be too obvious (if at all) on my hair

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Then go buy the wig! I have a few of those, especially the longer ones with bangs and a bit of volume can look really realistic for a few wears and they aren't expensive when you know how to look for them on eBay. (beware the high shipping cost listings!) Like, for 25 USD you can get quite a nice one.

Also, you cannot bleach over henna (well you can, but you really do not want to). Buuut you can totally manicpanic with darker blue, green, black or red over it, in an ombre or an underlayerrainbow or what have you. You could also try one of those colorb4 treatments from the succesful henna removal thread, that will keep you entertained for at least a day when you apply and three days afterwards with the reconditioning and eager studying of results.

If you like the layers that lady has that you showed, well go for it, but I know very little people that have thick enough hair to pull that deep of a V off. Now you are an ii/iii, but beware, you need A Lot for that look.

I vote for a wig!

I like the ombre idea, don't know how I'd do it though, maybe blue, not sure if my work would accept it though, could always bun it so they can't tell I guess.
And I'm thinking clip in fringe (colour matching is difficult) and maybe wig, but I'm not sure if I can find a decent affordable wig on ebay

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Ordered a clip in fringe :) hope it's the right colour.
If I reach my next weight loss goal I might try a blue ombre (easier to hide than a full head)
Thank you for all the ideas and compliments on my hair :)

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 07:36 AM
double post

spidermom
February 13th, 2015, 07:44 AM
If you want a different shape, there's nothing wrong with that. I agonized going to my current shape and layering for over a year. Once I did it, I wished I'd done it sooner.

Majorane
February 13th, 2015, 08:47 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beauty-Fashion-Womens-Lady-Long-Curly-Wavy-Hair-Full-Wigs-Cosplay-Party-HG-/281546058196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item418d73e9d4
Wig! (I have one very similar, except it's darker. Will probably not last forever but hey, the price!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harajuku-dyeing-gradient-color-wig-long-straight-hair-slightly-curly-hair-/251595822678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a94479656
Black and blue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Lady-Long-Harajuku-Wavy-Curly-Weave-Hair-Wig-Cosplay-Blue-Anime-Wig/371254850550?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D28797%26meid%3D92fcebb0216f4c25896a3da9847 d526c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D361 210616564
Zombie colored hair! (seriously kinda awesome)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-80cm-Womens-Long-Big-Spiral-Curl-Wavy-Dark-Red-Cosplay-Wigs-Hair-Full-Wig-/381107554024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bbc7c6e8
Ariel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Womens-Long-Brown-Curly-Wavy-Full-Wigs-Party-Hair-Cosplay-Wig-60CM-ESY1-/141563532350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&var=&hash=item20f5d8143e
Layurz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-New-Design-High-Quality-Rose-Couleurs-Droite-Filles-Cosplay-Curly-Wig-/161591727017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259f9e13a9
Oh come on, who wouldn't want to try something like this on?! I'd buy it if I had somewhere to wear it to, and more importantly if I could pull off thise babycolors.....

Okay, okay okay, you already bought clip in fringe, I know. But I had already googled this and I wanted to post anyway. No pressure, mmmkay.

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beauty-Fashion-Womens-Lady-Long-Curly-Wavy-Hair-Full-Wigs-Cosplay-Party-HG-/281546058196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item418d73e9d4
Wig! (I have one very similar, except it's darker. Will probably not last forever but hey, the price!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harajuku-dyeing-gradient-color-wig-long-straight-hair-slightly-curly-hair-/251595822678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a94479656
Black and blue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Lady-Long-Harajuku-Wavy-Curly-Weave-Hair-Wig-Cosplay-Blue-Anime-Wig/371254850550?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D28797%26meid%3D92fcebb0216f4c25896a3da9847 d526c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D361 210616564
Zombie colored hair! (seriously kinda awesome)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-80cm-Womens-Long-Big-Spiral-Curl-Wavy-Dark-Red-Cosplay-Wigs-Hair-Full-Wig-/381107554024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bbc7c6e8
Ariel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Womens-Long-Brown-Curly-Wavy-Full-Wigs-Party-Hair-Cosplay-Wig-60CM-ESY1-/141563532350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&var=&hash=item20f5d8143e
Layurz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-New-Design-High-Quality-Rose-Couleurs-Droite-Filles-Cosplay-Curly-Wig-/161591727017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259f9e13a9
Oh come on, who wouldn't want to try something like this on?! I'd buy it if I had somewhere to wear it to, and more importantly if I could pull off thise babycolors.....

Okay, okay okay, you already bought clip in fringe, I know. But I had already googled this and I wanted to post anyway. No pressure, mmmkay.

I love the blue one! such temptation
I think a wig will have to be a weight loss reward, the clip in was a bit of an impulse... just hope I can blend it in well and it doesn't look too fake

ETA: I should not have started looking at wigs...I want so many!

Robot Ninja
February 13th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Your hair looks fine to me, not floofy at all.

If you're looking for a weight loss reward, maybe some nice clothes? I mean, you probably need new clothes, right, if you've lost weight?

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Your hair looks fine to me, not floofy at all.

If you're looking for a weight loss reward, maybe some nice clothes? I mean, you probably need new clothes, right, if you've lost weight?

Not enough for new clothes yet, it's a mini milestone reward, not my goal weight but I've lost more than I've ever done before (which isn't much really)

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I don't know if a manic panic blue ombre would show up, my hair's pretty dark, I am tempted to try it though.
Any other ways to change up my hair? I'm not sure I like how it looks as it is but I don't want to shorten it, considering long layers but I don't know, thankfully I'm not going to do anything too soon (need to lose another 8lbs before that goal)

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM
So glad you are doing clip-ins and looking at wigs instead of cutting your beautiful hair. :) It really is nice, so don't cut it unless you hate long beautiful hair on yourself.

aforestfae
February 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM
So glad you are doing clip-ins and looking at wigs instead of cutting your beautiful hair. :) It really is nice, so don't cut it unless you hate long beautiful hair on yourself.

:o thank you
And yeah,I don't think cutting a fringe in would be wise, my hair gets greasy too quickly and I'm bound to get fed up of it, I like being able to pin it back sometimes it just looks so pretty...maybe another time

MINAKO
February 13th, 2015, 01:15 PM
how about going slightly darker, like a richer shade of medium brown and dark brown low lights. the hue would kind of depend on your eye and skin color. but i think a pinkish brown looks lovely with brown eyes and an ashier greyish shade works well with blue or green eyes and cooler skin tones. have you considered violet shades? i think they are much easier to pull off than straight up blue hair.

aforestfae
February 14th, 2015, 10:09 AM
how about going slightly darker, like a richer shade of medium brown and dark brown low lights. the hue would kind of depend on your eye and skin color. but i think a pinkish brown looks lovely with brown eyes and an ashier greyish shade works well with blue or green eyes and cooler skin tones. have you considered violet shades? i think they are much easier to pull off than straight up blue hair.

Do you mean for my hair or the wigs I'm considering?
If my hair, I think blue wouldn't be obviously blue, it might even go a bit purple (or green? How does blue look over henna?) but my hair's dark so it would be more of a hint rather than vibrant.
I am wondering about temporarily dyeing it black (as I wanted to do once before) but I'm not sure how it would look, I have a warmer skin tone, dark hair, dark eyes, fairly pale skin, I'm not sure how directions (or manic panic) black dyes look, I did hear one where it ended up more of a dark green than black once it started fading.
But I know I don't want it to be permanent, or stain my hair, since I like going red (Guess I could try that over henna to give it a red boost)

Eta: went and looked at the manic panic hair colours and now I want an enchanted forest green ombre but I'd have to bleach for that

aforestfae
February 17th, 2015, 08:16 AM
My clip in fringe arrived, it's not quite the right colour (not enough brown/too much red) but I'm not sure if the clip-ins look all that good, so I don't know if i want to exchange it or return it and get my money back.
How do you blend it in? my growing out fringe (hits about mouth length now) is still visible because of my side part, do I have to have a centre part?

aforestfae
February 17th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I tried the clip in fringe and I honestly think it's not a good look for me, so looks like I'll be searching for a new idea, I feel like my hair looks a bit dull
Maybe I could chemically dye it red or ombre it green without the bleach, or long layers (but I mean long, just to add some shape to my hair) other than that I'm out of ideas

lapushka
February 17th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I'd stop trying to "mess" with it just cause you are bored with it. Just put it up and forget about it. Learn new updos and try new toys.

aforestfae
February 17th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I'd stop trying to "mess" with it just cause you are bored with it. Just put it up and forget about it. Learn new updos and try new toys.

I know I should leave it but my hairdresser is coming over tomorrow anyway and I'm just desperate to make my hair look a bit better so I'm going to stress to her I want to keep it as long as possible, have a tiny trim of the ends/re-shape the v shape and then long layers I will show her this picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/79/b5/5f79b58687fd4b60043b2483680928ee.jpg) to show her how long I want the layers in relation to my hair length.
I'm still debating, so I might not go through with it, i just dislike my hair all one length/blunt I don't know why, it also feels pretty heavy some times, like I have too much hair, I'm hoping layers make it feel a bit lighter even the long ones.
I'm also planning on giving it a good deep condition

lapushka
February 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I just read you went through with it and saw your after picture - looks really great. Hope you're happy with it. :)