PDA

View Full Version : I cut my own bangs and now I regret them...

endlessly
February 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I was bored yesterday, so I decided to cut my own bangs and as the title above suggests, now I really regret doing it. My hair has been one length for the past 4 or so years and suddenly this past October, I decided to cut a few face-framing layers - the shortest at my mouth, longest at my chin - just to try something a little different and I honestly really liked the results. Now, though, I'm at a loss. I didn't cut the bangs too short, which is a plus, but I never realized how difficult my hair texture was to work with because for the life of me, I can't get them to sit right. Even fresh after washing my hair last night, the bangs would stick straight up and continued to stay that way no matter what I did to pull them down.

I know it's going to be a while before they're at a decent length that I can tuck them behind my ears again and while I can hide them with bobby pins, part of me really wants to make them work. I refuse to use heat styling tools, so I've tried sponge rollers to curl them under a bit more, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I suppose the only good thing to come out of them is the fact that they make the rest of my hair look ridiculously longer (about 4 inches past classic), so that's a plus!

ghost
February 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM
How short are your bangs? If they're eyebrow length or longer, you might be able to part them on the side and grow them out that way. It'll take some time but they'll grow into face-framing layers.
I know you said you don't heat style, but if you're willing to blow dry just your bangs, blow drying on low head while brushing them over to the opposite side you want them to lay on, then back to the side they're supposed to be on, might help them sit a little bit better.

velorutionista
February 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
If they're long enough (and if you want a sideswept look), you can dry them clipped off to one side...once they dry, they'll relax a bit away from that side, but will likely be pretty straight if you pull them taut when you clip.

Ambrielle
February 12th, 2015, 12:03 PM
i have framing layers and bangs too (about an inch in thickness) and similar wave pattern to yours. I don't find mine are that hard to work with or maybe i love them that much i have been blindfolded lol. Mine don't seem to wave much either until they reach about nose/lip length. On days they refuse to cooperate i wash them and pin them in straight to the side of my head with bobby pins, once they dry they are 1b type straight but obviously i don't know if you'd prefer yours wavy and/or if they are long enough for that. You could also try placing a headband around your head/bangs while they air dry (and yes i do sport a silly look sometimes, luckily for me my dearest have a sense of humor :p), you know like those bohemian ones with an elastic at the back, when mine stick out i do do this for an hour or two (after they have been washed) and it keeps them in place for days afterwards ;)
Also sometimes i use heat on my bangs, not often but i do. i don't mind it because they get trimmed monthly so heating damage on them isn't a concern of mine since i am not planning on growing them out.

kaydana
February 12th, 2015, 01:18 PM
The only thing that works for me is heat styling. Mine are a complete mess without it. I have no immediate plans to grow them out, so the damage isn't a concern.

Carolyn
February 12th, 2015, 01:35 PM
If I were you I would use heat and not worry about it. You can trim the damage off later when they are longer.

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
(...) but I never realized how difficult my hair texture was to work with because for the life of me, I can't get them to sit right. Even fresh after washing my hair last night, the bangs would stick straight up and continued to stay that way no matter what I did to pull them down.

That's why I never feel the need for bangs anymore with my texture! I know it's going to oddly stick up and out and do all sorts of unwanted stuff. Unless of course you want to constantly blow-dry them into place (every time you wake up).

No other suggestions... sorry.

MINAKO
February 12th, 2015, 01:51 PM
ah, why dont you use heat in that area only, a bit of gentle styling wont hurt on hair that short. otherwise look for a japanese bangs clip, it encases your hair in a particular shape until its dry, so you could try using that just spritzing your hair with a bit of water in the morning and leaving it on until you are ready to leave the house. rollers can make it look kinda funny.
i loved my bangs but im happy to have finally grown them out, the in between stages are just to awkward. the longer the hair gets.

ETA: heres the clip i was talking about. you can find these all over ebay.

http://www.superhappycashcow.com/pic/Beauty/Hair%20Bang%20Clip/2.jpg

Nadine <3
February 12th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I have side swept bangs that I cut and maintain by myself. I also have wavy hair, so my bangs get blow dried on warm right after I wash my hair otherwise they stand up and do whatever they want. I don't have to style them every day, just the days I wash. Sometimes I wake up and they look good, other days not so much. When they look funny I just clip them back with some bobby pins and call it a day.

I love my bangs and have no plans to grow them out. They can be a pain, but I look silly without them so it's worth it for me.

endlessly
February 12th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Thank you so much for all of the helpful tips, I greatly appreciate it!

When perfectly straightened, they sit just below my eyes, so they aren't too short (thank God) and after working with them most of the night, I finally have them looking the way I want. I did have to break out my 6-year-old hair dryer just to see what would happen if I lightly dampened them and then attempted to blow dry, and the results were much better. Since I had cut them quite blunt last night, I did use a thinning scissors and that also helped so at least for now, they aren't sticking straight up anymore!

It's going to be a learning process, that's for sure! But, with the way my hair grows, I should be able to tuck them behind my ears again within the month.

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Hi Endlessly! You have no idea how much I sound like you with my curly 3b hair and wanting to cut bangs so I can look pretty like a few of the extremely long haired pretty ladies on LHC who do have bangs!! Or like Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Having said this, I did cut my bangs (rest of hair is now at 32+ inches) to mid nose bridge last June and they are now long enough to brush back into a bun with my BBB brush and holding without hairspray.

If I were you, take lots of photos of your bangs, especially when they are not behaving so you get reminded of your frustrations with them. Also, try to enjoy them and yes! It's ok to use a real straightener when they are dry. Welcome to survival with curly girl bangs! It won't be for more than a couple of months when you will be able to braid them and pin them back so hang in there.

I actually keep a bad bang pic of myself on my desktop for whenever I get the illusion that I have straight hair. I also forget my misery with having bangs. I guess this is normal since alot of people keep thinking about getting bangs and then regret it. In 5 months, you will have forgotten all about your bangs since they should be long enough to brush back into your bun. Until then, bobby pins are your best friend. Good luck!! And remember to take some bad pics and look at them to remind yourself. Also, write about how much you regret doing this so you can remind yourself no bangs ever again. This is what I did. Now if I can just stop looking at Jane Seymour pictures with her bangs!! ;(:p

chebella
February 13th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Have you tried french braiding your bangs into the rest of your hair? I'm not completely sure of the rules of this site right now, so I don't feel comfortable posting the link, but if you go on YouTube and look up "Braided bangs by bobby glam" it'll be the first video. It looks really pretty and since your bangs aren't that short and you don't like heat styling, this might be just what you're looking for! :)

endlessly
February 17th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Have you tried french braiding your bangs into the rest of your hair? I'm not completely sure of the rules of this site right now, so I don't feel comfortable posting the link, but if you go on YouTube and look up "Braided bangs by bobby glam" it'll be the first video. It looks really pretty and since your bangs aren't that short and you don't like heat styling, this might be just what you're looking for! :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of trying that one.

endlessly
February 17th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I've taken a ton of photos, but as per usual, I asked a couple of my friends what they thought and they've had nothing but compliments - and these people are normally brutally (sometimes almost cruelly) honest!

The good news is that I finally think I'm able to work with them and dare I say it, actually like them now. I think before I was trying too hard to have the straight-cut blunt bangs, but since my short hair is a bit wavier than the long, I was trying to style them in a way they couldn't possibly go. Now, they're more sideswept, which I actually think looks much more appealing on me.

Plus, apparently, I look much younger with bangs now! I'm 25, but yesterday I was actually carded to see an R-rated movie! That was a first for me!

LongCurlyTress
February 17th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Yay!! Glad you are liking them and they look good. I do miss having mine since when they are behaving, I think I look better with them... :rolleyes: