PDA

View Full Version : 1920s Updos?

swords & roses
February 11th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Help me out, LHC hivemind! :) I've got a 1920s-themed dance performance coming up. What are your favorite 20's inspired updos?

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Isn't that the time of short bobs. :whistle:

Madora
February 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM
The 1920s were famous for bobbed hair. However, there were a few holdouts, most notably the "headphone style", which were small buns over each ear, mimicking the headsets of telephone operators of that era. link:http://www.photodetective.co.uk/jpegs/Earphones.jpg

Upside Down
February 12th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Fingerwaves are really simple to do, not damaging, add a low bun and some feather accessories if you want a flapper-y look! Just google fingerwaves, and there are lots of tutorials!
http://www.queensofvintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/tumblr_kwdds62CFR1qafm5fo1_400.jpg

Also this is a nice page for inspiration
http://glamourdaze.com/category/flapper-fashion/page/2

ETA: Madora, we typed at the same time :) that is such a cute style, great inspiration!

MeowScat
February 12th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I just did a couple quick searches for, "1920's hair" and "flapper hair" on YouTube and google images. Good stuff! Check out YouTube!

Gertrude
February 13th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Heyday of the bob as others have said. Star Wars revived the braids rolled on the ears for Princess Leia. There was also an elaborate draped hairstyle where hair was wound around to disguise it. Both those styles were the last stop before bobbing. Women wearing them were nearly at the point of sitting for the scissors.

Women who kept their hair long in the 1920s and didn't want to cut it ever moved on to buns at the nape of the neck. Olive Oyl, Popeye's girlfriend has the elongated Psyche Knot that was the 1920s bun. The front of the hair was often waved with Marcel type waves, and then there was the sleek banana shape bun.

Women not in the fashionable circles would part their hair, pull it back covering their ears, put in two side combs at the back and then coil or braid and bun using hairpins. I have a book about mother hood showing 1920s mums with long hair like this. Covering the ears with hair meant that it looked quite bobbed until you looked closely.

Hair also had to fit under close fitting cloche hats. Either you had a long thin bun or the bun below the hat rim.

In the 1930s the bun became less elongated and ears showed more. Wallis Simpson wore a typical long style. Waved at the front, pulled back into a low bun. The low bun or chignon is still popular. French twists traditional style, like folding bookends, doesn't work with very long hair.

For a party, if your hair lets you, I would do heatless waves and the psyche knot. It's very alluring (-:

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Gertrude sums it up beautifully. There was a lot of pressure to bob, to be modern and stylish and it was acute by the late 20s. But it's definitely true that it was far from every body who bobbed. Lots of people didn't want to be flappers. it's just like the 1960s. If you look at TV or read pop history everybody was a hippy, but having lived through this decade, hippies were actually few, just very shocking and public.

The look we see as archetypal flapper only lasted from 1927 to 1928, probably because it flattered so few, and was very far from universal even during those years.

The finger waves look with psyche knot was indeed very popular.

I suggest looking at clips from 20s movies and archival newsreels on youtube to see the variety of looks
s, it's very educational.

Crown braids, coronet braids and faux crown braids were hugely popular from about 1930. So a lot of women still had long hair, or they couldn't have done them. often you can't tell who had long hair in photos as it was always up. And in the 20s it was kept close to the head and sleek, so it could fit under the tighter hats, of which the cloche is most famous. It was very different looking from prewar huge puffy Gibson knots and pompadours but that doesn't mean that everyone cut off their hair.