PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Hennaed hair

Sinthia
February 10th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I was wondering if its normal for the henna to bleed out with every wash? I did my first henna not too long ago, and have washed it about 6 times so far. Each time a ton of orange drips out.

Also, does it make anyone elses hair staticky? While it is SUPER conditioned and soft, it is so staticky! I thought maybe it was the dry air, but I have just noticed it after using henna.

texangrrl
February 10th, 2015, 03:23 PM
I have had the bleeding issue as well on a couple of my full head applications, but it doesn't seem to have affected the color. The first time I did a henna, it bled for about two weeks it seemed.

browneyedsusan
February 10th, 2015, 03:23 PM
It doesn't bleed at all for me. It's impossible to remove!
I haven't noticed an increase in static. :)

Seeshami
February 10th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I have bleed for the first few washes. The first henna if i remember was worse and then each time it has gotten better.

lapushka
February 10th, 2015, 03:28 PM
What kind of henna did you use?

texangrrl
February 10th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I have bleed for the first few washes. The first henna if i remember was worse and then each time it has gotten better.

I will second this. It was only the first couple of applications that seemed the worst. Not sure why it was bleeding. Maybe it had something to do with henna being new to the hair? But even though I experienced this, my color never faded. Now I don't have any bleeding whatsoever.

hennalonghair
February 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
The henna guys deep red or burgundy bleeds a lot more than regular henna.

Seeshami
February 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I use henna maiden and it seems to bleed the least but the hair has been bleached so i dont know if that has anythibg to do with it as well.

Sinthia
February 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM
I used henna guys burgundy. The color has faded a bit, but nothing too noticeable.

Also, curious as to why that one is usable right away and you do not have to wait for a dye release?

hennalonghair
February 10th, 2015, 06:51 PM
It's a good question and something I've often wondered about . They definitely do something to their henna to make it this way but they chose not to disclose this info. I think this is one of the reasons why it bleeds so much because it only has 5% hibiscus powder in it. Most other hennas don't bleed nearly as much.

Seeshami
February 10th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I have never waited for dye release on any of my hennas. I am impatient. I have used all the recomended brands at one point or another

hennalonghair
February 10th, 2015, 09:01 PM
I have never waited for dye release on any of my hennas. I am impatient. I have used all the recomended brands at one point or another

Well you must've either fluked out or just not had complete dye release. Some brands are quick dye release while others have longer ones.

Seeshami
February 10th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I doubt it because my hair is red on the ends just like it should be. Even when I used mehandi henna I didn't wait.

Majorane
February 11th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I have hennaed for 16 years and also never had to wait for dye release... my henna has always turned brownish within five minutes and stained like a badass straight away. I was a bit confused about all the dye release stories when I came here, to be honest, because up until then I didn't know it's not always instant. But, I have always made my henna with warm water, maybe that factors in as wel. I find there are SO MANY ways one can henna, and also there are SO MANY flavours of henna, there is no 'one rule' as to do it right....

Of course I have access to other henna than you folks at the other side of the pond. I buy mine in a local herbery, or have used the ones from the turkish food markets. Probably nit the same as the brands you all use. (but it's BAQ and the one from the herbery is high quality.)

....anyhow, as for the bleeding, I have noticed that the more additives there are in a henna, the more it bleeds. So, the 'basic reds' bleed little but if it says fiery red, burgundy, cherry, potato it'll bleed a lot more-on me.

You could try and do a conditioner soak? Get the cheapest bottle of conditioner at the drugstore, squirt it in dry hair (this will cause you to use more than half a bottle, hence the cheap recommendation), wrap with foil, top it with a warm hat, and read a book. Rinse after an hour or so, and it usually drags out a lot of the bleed for me.

Rosetta
February 11th, 2015, 01:40 AM
I've never, ever have had henna bleed... In fact that's what I've considered one of its advantages over semi-permanent (deposit-only) dyes, they bleed a lot.

And as far as I can remember, it didn't make much difference static-wise, if anything my hair was less static when I hennaed.

Cania
February 11th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I use Nightblooming blends and don't get any bleed or static.

I'm sure I've read something about using henna instantly and warm water being a factor, but I can't quite remember... I give time for dye release under a lamp anyway because I enjoy making my hennaing an all day process ;)

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I always have henna bleed out colour the first time I wash no matter what brand iI use. I see the colour run down the drain. I've hennaed for over 35 years .
And yes if there's additives like hibiscus it can bleed more than regular henna . Makes perfect sense.
I'm not saying that henna won't work without waiting for dye release. Clearly it does. What I'm saying is that there's some henna that has quicker dye release than others.. Sure if you add hot water or a terp to it , it will stick better but some henna just stains better if left for longer.
Morrocan henna takes little to no time but also has quick demise time also whereas the henna in Nupur stains best if left for at least 12 hours or even left in the freezer first.
I've also tried henna without waiting for dye release but found it stained best and longest with it.
And yes you have completely different varieties across the pond. Pretty_in_pink and I have discussed this a few times.

Majorane
February 11th, 2015, 02:55 AM
Then I think over here I have mostly gotten Moroccan henna. Because mine has almost instant dye release, and I tried once or twice to let it sit for a while or freeze the leftovers. Freezing was okay, waiting for dye release did make the henna less potent, and the best stain was achieved by instant use. I also noticed no difference in color between 1,5-2 hour henna applications and anything that was longer than that. But I have fine hair that seems rather low porosity, so it could be my hair just was satisfied with 2 hours of henna.

I was amazed there was such a difference between hennas when I went to Internet sources for henna. I thought it was all just ground leaves from plant X, and the location where it had grown didn't matter. As long as it was fresh.

Out of curiosity: what differences did you and PIP establish between EU henna vesus USA/Canadian henna? I am off the henna bandwagon for a while and if I ever get back on, I'm happy with what I can get here (at 2,20 per 100 grams or so it is also much more exonomical than ordering it online-but I seriously like the orange flavour my herbery sells). But it's fun to know the difference.
:)

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 03:57 AM
PIP had to use a lot of henna ( 500 grams) at a time to stain her hair but she was going for a burgundy colour. She also added terps but she could never find out what type of strain it was. She said that its hard to find varieties over there but many people use it but mainly for skin tattoos.
So if you had morrocan then you are best off not waiting long if at all for dye release.
Ambriella waited too long once for dye release and ended up with no stain because she had used Morroccan henna. She couldn't figure out why henna wasn't staining but once she realized it was just the strain she made some adjustments.
I've used Morroccan also and only waited an hour before using but with Nupur I literally leave it for at least 24 hours.
So there's a huge difference. I believe that's called rhapsody henna. It's my favourite strain. Long lasting and inexpensive.
Less than $5 CAD for 150 grams

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 04:02 AM
I'm also off the henna wagon too . I'm growing in my silvers and the cherry cola red and silver compliment each other quite nicely. I still stain my bangs though only to match up my hair colour until I have enough virgin colour, then I'll go from there to perhaps all natural. I do miss the conditioning effects though. I'm going to use a completely colourless henna as soon as I get some and no it's not cassia.

TheHuman
February 11th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I believe that's called rhapsody henna. It's my favourite strain. Long lasting and inexpensive.
Less than $5 CAD for 150 grams

Where did you get this?

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Where did you get this?

From here:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=godrej+nupur

You might also find it at indian stores.
It's about the cheapest BAQ henna available

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Sorry. Here it's cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_8?k=godrej+nupur+henna&sprefix=godrej+n
The above one is Amazon,ca

This is Amazon. Com. ...a lot cheaper

TheHuman
February 12th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Sweet! I picked up some Hannah Natural from Amazon.ca just recently ($3.95/100g) but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I'll try the Nupur next. It's a bit cheaper. Thanks!