PDA

View Full Version : If you are 50 or over... do you wear your hair down when you go out?

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Yes, just wondering about this - how many of you (I will be "one of you" in a couple of months:)) wear your hair loose when you are out and about? Do you do it regularly? Rarely? Do you get compliments/sideways glances/rude remarks when you do? Are you happy doing it? And why am I feeling vaguely uncomfortable at the thought of doing it myself, even though I enjoy wearing my hair down? Mumbling to myself.... Anyway, tell us your experiences/thoughts on the subject.

Hopeful65
February 10th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I wear mine down all the time.

I have never had any negative comments about my hair. No one has ever told me I can't have it long at my age. I have either had compliments, or nothing at all. Actually, in my experience, I have had more positive comments about my long hair, and nearly none when it was average length.

Personally, I can not imagine people claiming you can't/shouldn't have long hair at an older age. It makes no sense to me. I think long hair that is healthy and well cared for is very pretty. I admire it. Unless if it were obviously uncared for.

Certain women do look nice with short haircuts, and maybe some wouldn't look as good with long hair. It would depend on several factors and preferences.

I have never experienced any negativity myself.

Caldonia Sun
February 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I'll be 61 tomorrow. My hair is not quite BSL, so it's really not that long, and I wear it down most of the time. I have not gotten negative comments, but certainly second looks which may or may not be negative. I have gotten many compliments and even a few people who have felt the need to touch it.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I wear mine down all the time.

I have never had any negative comments about my hair. No one has ever told me I can't have it long at my age. I have either had compliments, or nothing at all. Actually, in my experience, I have had more positive comments about my long hair, and nearly none when it was average length.

Personally, I can not imagine people claiming you can't/shouldn't have long hair at an older age. It makes no sense to me. I think long hair that is healthy and well cared for is very pretty. I admire it. Unless if it were obviously uncared for.

Certain women do look nice with short haircuts, and maybe some wouldn't look as good with long hair. It would depend on several factors and preferences.

I have never experienced any negativity myself.

This is most encouraging - thank you Hopeful65!

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Let me see... I have three lady coworkers, no wait four, that are 50+ and have long hair.

Number one just combed out her waist lenght dreadlocks and her hair is like a mop, in a good way. She never wears it NOT down. A lot, wavy, always a giant stormblown looking mess, while still looking cool. Before she had the dreads it was waist length bright blonde, before that she was tricolore with random chunks of red and brown and blonde, and beforw that she was blue. All done when she was 50+ and it all looked amazing.

Number two is always between shoulder length and apl+, nicely dyed brown because she isn't ready for gray yet. Either wears it loose or in two braids.

Number three is growing it out, she is now 50/50 hair down/wearing hairsticks muhahaha,

And number four has beautiful white hair that she always wears in a halfup or loose, at apl.

So, I say, wear it down! I find all this talk about age appropriate hairstyles a lot more surprising and weird than seeing 50+ ladies with their hair down. Just do it :)

Atira
February 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Not me, but my mother is 60 with mid back gorgeous blonde hair and she wears it down 98% of the time and it's beautiful and she gets compliments on it.

Nettyx
February 10th, 2015, 01:00 PM
well, I'm considering the same question as when I was 30 I didn't like long hair on people over 40 (let alone 50) but I am 40 in a few months and love my hair so I am going to keep my hair long forever as it is so much fun!
I think if you look after your hair it can look gorgeous whatever your age, if it suits your face and your style then go for it. I have one colleague over 50 with long hair and it looks awful because she doesn't look after it and it ages her. Another has beautiful long hair and I have serious hair envy. I have never heard a bad comment about it and we really are judgemental where I work!!

Sterlyn
February 10th, 2015, 01:01 PM
I wear my hair down when out often enough. Any negative remarks were never from strangers. Although DH has said he's seen some nasty withering looks, all from women, I try not to fault people for an opinion that shows on their face, and to remember not everyone likes long or silver hair. Occasionally people do just stare, which I try and ignore. Hubby's theory is that people are trying to figure out my age, since my hair and face don't seem to match. A very few times (3?maybe) I've had complete strangers come up and tell me they like my hair.

Really most of the time going out with long hair is uneventful and 98% of the time my hair isn't a factor in my interactions with people.

spidermom
February 10th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I only wear it down sometimes because it goes all over the place and gets into everything. When I do wear it down, occasionally I get a compliment, but most of the time I get nothing. Nobody has said anything negative about it in a long time - only my father years ago. He still likes the way women wore their hair in the 1950s, short and body permed and roller-styled. He says I would look younger if I got a style like his second wife had when he met her.

Libbylou
February 10th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I have only gotten a few positive comments on my just shy of hip length hair. One was at Walmart in the accessory isle. An middle aged lady was looking at heat free curlers and I showed her the ones I use occasionally. She told me my looked so healthy I had it in a simple English braid. The girls that worked on my 40th class reunion always told me how pretty and shiny my hair was when I wore it down. I don't wear it down out often but, now that I have learned the lazy wrap pony(Sarahlabyrinth,thank you for that style) I will wear it down more often.

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Hi! Just turned 57 a couple of weeks ago and I usually wear it up, but not because I am in my 50's. I have always worn it up, but when it was shorter, it was in a french peacock twist with side chin length straightened bangs. Anyways, I wear it up due to the fact that I have very curly thick hair that frizzes easily and gets caught on car seat belts, my purse straps, in my lipstick etc. It's just alot easier with it up. That being said, for going out fancy to a party or with my Dh, I put it in a half up, with the up part being in small bun with the bun pushing my hair a bit forward for a small poof. Anyways, don't worry about what others think. Make yourself happy! Words of wisdom coming from me, and I am close to 60 now!! I just wish the years would slow down. Feels so sad like I am coming to the end of a great book that I will never be able to read again, so I am enjoying every minute! If I see people staring at me, I just give them a huge smile back and they usually just look away! ;)

hennalonghair
February 10th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Except for winter I usually wear my hair down once a week.(to air dry after washing) I don't go out much but when I do wear it down and I often get compliments . Sometimes it brushes against people so maybe that's why.

I just turned 55 and feel more comfortable in my skin and my hair than I did in my 20's and 30's. I just don't even equate age with length of hair at all. Months ago i went to a store and saw a woman in her mid sixties and she had knee length shiny silver hair . She looked like an angel I swear. It was so beautiful she made me wanna grow out my silvers also.
Long hair is beautiful regardless of age. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Taenarian
February 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Having just passed a birth-day ...

Hardly a day goes by, it seems, without someone reminding me how lovely my hair is down. :blushing: It makes the times I choose to wear it down more special.

Carolyn
February 10th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I'm well over 50 and wear my hair down when I feel like it, weather permitting. I live in a windy climate and a lot of the time it's too windy to wear long hair down. I get very few comments on my hair, none of them negative. Most are from young girls or elderly ladies. I'm not the type of person strangers speak to normally. By a few, I mean like maybe 3 comments a year at the most. Most of the time I'm too lazy to wear it down. There are a few people I don't wear my hair down around. It's a self defense thing. I don't want to elicit comments from them because I know if they said anything to me about my hair, it wouldn't go well.

Over the past decade or so I've come to realize I am old enough to make my own hair and appearance decisions and I don't need to justify or explain any of them to ANYONE. My friends accept me as I am and they are the only ones who really count. I remember a conversation I had in my early 20s with a good friend. We were lamenting at 30 we could have to cut our hair, stop wearing jeans, and wear red lipstick like our mothers. Were we clueless or what!

CremeTron
February 10th, 2015, 02:10 PM
This reminds me of something I had completely forgotten about until just now. When I was 21 I went to a work party and I was probably the youngest there. There were a couple of guys there a bit older say mid- twenties. We went to show our faces before going somewhere else together.

The big boss was there with his wife who was about 45-50, who we had never seen before and they got up to dance and honestly I was just enjoying the drinks the atmosphere and the guys I was with were just chatting and we were all looking in the general direction of the dance floor.

Suddenly out of the blue, another work colleague drifted over. She was about 50 or so and she just blurted out as she stared at the boss'es wife 'That is definitely extensions, I am not being funny but when you get to our age, you cannot get hair that long or thick'!

We were dumbstruck for a few seconds because it was so far from what we were talking about or thinking and the guys gave an embarrassed laugh. We were not even thinking hair or whatever.

Forgot to say her hair was probably waist- length and blunt cut straight across.

I had completely forgotten about that incident till now and now I see it was total jealousy and I think if women do get hate for having long, loose hair over 50 it is probably from other women. I cannot see a man thinking it looks horrible. The guys I was with actually said later that the bosses wife was rather attractive.

Madora
February 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Once in a great while I'll wear my hair down..."down" being in a braid. It felt strange and I had to concentrate on keeping it from hitting the floor when I reached for anything that was low on the store shelves. A very sweet Asian lady complimented me on my hair and seemed to be curious why I had two toned hair. We had a nice conversation and because she was polite and asked first, I let her touch my hair. I've never let my hair down (unbound) because that's just an opportunity for it to get too tangled and I hate tangles with a passion. I also dislike being stared at like I was an exhibition at the zoo ("what's an old lady doing with hair that long?!")

trolleypup
February 10th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Not quite there yet...I wear my hair down frequently in public, and don't plan on changing that come August. I've noticed more positive comments recently (years), but that may be more related to my being happier in general.

lunalocks
February 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM
58 here. It is rare that I wear it down but when I do, compliments only.

Beborani
February 10th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I cannot imagine getting rude remarks! I wear it down often and get compliments on my curls and these days on the length too.

pamrlyn
February 10th, 2015, 09:01 PM
My normal hair style is down - and I've never heard a negative comment. Second looks - yes. So if you would rather blend into the background then wear it up. Who wants to blend into the background? serial killers maybe - :D

mz_butterfly
February 10th, 2015, 09:06 PM
I don't get wrapped up in those negative stereotypes.

Anybody can do as they wish at any age. (within reason of course, barring breaking the law or harming someone)

Ennapic
February 10th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I'll be 60 next month.

Unless I need to keep it out of the way while I am cooking or gardening, I almost always wear my hair down or half up (with my favorite Pewter Dragon Barrette).
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/Ennacrone/P2100819.jpg

I do not think I have ever had any comments one way or another.

browneyedsusan
February 11th, 2015, 01:20 AM
48 and a half, here.
Yes, but it isn't super-long --almost WL. :)

chen bao jun
February 11th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I am 57. While I dont have super long hair, it's not a pixie cut. My husband encourages me to wear it down, as in my siggy. I always get hair compliments when it's down, not when it's up.

I saw hunger games catching fire movie and the woman who played Mags had amazing beautiful loose grey curls. Not super long but longer than apl

Mimha
February 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I love my hair. And even more now that I know it's getting all the more precious that I'm growing old. And even more also since I found the LHC and I got more "hair-conscious". But I don't know if it looks very flattering on me when worn down. It definitely does if it behaves, lol. The problem is that my hair almost never behaves !^^ The slightest draught or little wind makes it a mess, and it makes me feel like I have escaped from my bathroom in pyjama ! I look "wild" with messy long hair, and I hate having it in the way. Kind of feel like some old fortune-teller / witch / crazy woman. Actually, it's maybe more the way I feel than the way I really look like. But still : windy weather = bun (= 95% of the summer time in my area). I'm looking forward to trying new hairstyles from LHC and internet ! :)

Concerning my age, I don't really care what people say. I don't consider my age as being a problem (hair-wise or else). When I let my hair down, it's mostly indoors, or once in a blue moon when the air is calm AND when I feel self-confident enough to do it (because long hair is quite eye-catching). I never had a comment about it being inappropriate.

I was in a pharmacy the other day, when I noticed at some distance one of the sellers looking at me with insistence. It took me a little time to realize that she was actually staring at my hair (which was down, freshly washed, shiny and just looking great). I think she hardly noticed my face (and if I was young or old, lol). She was just staring at my hair with wide eyes. I took it as a silent compliment and walked away quite pleased. :p

Lavendersugar
February 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM
First I'm not over 50 so please do not shun me. Second I love seeing any age with long hair.

When I saw this thread it made me think of this lady I saw at the grocery store a few weeks back. Her hair was to her hips. It was glorious! I want to say she was maybe 60. Her hair was straight until it hit below her bra strap and she had lovely waves. Her hair was split with white in front of the ears and the back half blonde. It was not bright white. More like a muted white and the blonde was the same way. I couldn't stop looking. She looked like a mermaid. I'm sure I looked like a freak gawking at her hair over the potatoes. Had she wore her hair up I would never have seen the flowing locks.
As for aging her, no way. I'm aging guessing mostly off of her hubby. Cause to be honest at moment to me she was ageless.
If you can't tell I'm growing out my hair & have hair envy.

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM
GAAAAHHHHHH!! I could not wait to get home to vent my anger right here!
So, today I rode my bike about 3 miles each way to get some medicine for my eye. I think it's pink eye. Anyways, I did a side braid so my bike helmet would fit over my hair. By the time I got to the pharmacy, the line was very long and so I decided to redo my braid. Well there was this little girl in the long line with her mother. The little girl had Joan of Arc blunt chin length pageboy with very straight hair and her mother had a very short messy thick pixie haircut. Well, when I took down my braid to redo it, the mother said loudly, "Look it's Cousin It!!" OMG!!! :pins: I was in shock!! I should have yelled at the mother, well at least I don't look like a Q tip like you do! Good! At least I could say that here!! I just kept quiet and stared at the mother the whole 20 minutes we were in line. I was in such shock that the mother could be so rude. Anyways, I will only wear my hair in a bun from now on so I don't ever have to deal with rude comments again. I am still in shock with her rudeness and this happened 3 hours ago! I did end up rebraiding my hair into a long nape braid and felt the tassel touching my hips so that made me feel better. Can you believe this!! GAAAH!!! :patrol:

Oh and then there was this creepy "back woods" looking guy with a long beard also waiting in line just staring at me!! :mrt:I could not wait to get out of there!:couch:

Sterlyn
February 11th, 2015, 04:07 PM
GAAAAHHHHHH!! I could not wait to get home to vent my anger right here!
So, today I rode my bike about 3 miles each way to get some medicine for my eye. I think it's pink eye. Anyways, I did a side braid so my bike helmet would fit over my hair. By the time I got to the pharmacy, the line was very long and so I decided to redo my braid. Well there was this little girl in the long line with her mother. The little girl had Joan of Arc blunt chin length pageboy with very straight hair and her mother had a very short messy thick pixie haircut. Well, when I took down my braid to redo it, the mother said loudly, "Look it's Cousin It!!" OMG!!! :pins: I was in shock!! I should have yelled at the mother, well at least I don't look like a Q tip like you do! Good! At least I could say that here!! I just kept quiet and stared at the mother the whole 20 minutes we were in line. I was in such shock that the mother could be so rude. Anyways, I will only wear my hair in a bun from now on so I don't ever have to deal with rude comments again. I am still in shock with her rudeness and this happened 3 hours ago! I did end up rebraiding my hair into a long nape braid and felt the tassel touching my hips so that made me feel better. Can you believe this!! GAAAH!!! :patrol:

Oh and then there was this creepy "back woods" looking guy with a long beard also waiting in line just staring at me!! I could not wait to get out of there!

*Hugs to you. Yes I can believe it, some people let their mouth run on before the brain has engaged. Cousin It my butt, that woman was beyond rude and way out of line.

arr
February 11th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I'm really in shock to think that a grown woman would say something so rude. Even if someone thinks something negative you would think they would have the decency to keep it to themselves. And this woman is supposed to be setting an example for her daughter on what is polite behavior.

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2015, 04:48 PM
*Hugs to you. Yes I can believe it, some people let their mouth run on before the brain has engaged. Cousin It my butt, that woman was beyond rude and way out of line.

I know!! I really didn't know what to say. I just wanted to get out of there! Thanks so much for your support! I couldn't wait to get home to post again on this thread!! :rolleyes: All I could think of was earlier, please read my rant below, I said not to let other's comments bother you, yada yada yada.. but when the nasty comment is meant to obviously embarass you.. well I have certainly learned my lesson. The mother's hair was all chopped up and messy, so maybe she was jealous??? Something evil obviously possessed her. :rant:

I'm really in shock to think that a grown woman would say something so rude. Even if someone thinks something negative you would think they would have the decency to keep it to themselves. And this woman is supposed to be setting an example for her daughter on what is polite behavior.
Exactly! I bet the little girl gets in trouble in school for ridiculing the other kids. Obviously she gets it from her mother! LOL I should have just said, Look! There is Joan of Arc and her old Q tip hag mother!! LOL :luke: But I never ever would say such a thing. Some people!! Thanks for your support! :)

Clarkie
February 11th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I'm sending you hugs too!:grouphug: That woman was clearly an idiot of the highest order! I feel sad for her daughter.

I hope nothing like this ever happens to you again and I also hope that you reconsider wearing your hair down. It looks just beautiful and it should be allowed out in all it's glory from time to time imho.

IF you ever encounter such blatant rudeness about your hair (or anything else) try the old Anne Landers standby. Keep a calm tone and ask "Now why would you say such a thing?"
You can then enjoy watching them squirm as they struggle to answer. Of course if that doesn't work you can always tell them to eff off!!
:rant:

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I'm sending you hugs too!:grouphug: That woman was clearly an idiot of the highest order! I feel sad for her daughter.

I hope nothing like this ever happens to you again and I also hope that you reconsider wearing your hair down. It looks just beautiful and it should be allowed out in all it's glory from time to time imho.

IF you ever encounter such blatant rudeness about your hair (or anything else) try the old Anne Landers standby. Keep a calm tone and ask "Now why would you say such a thing?"
You can then enjoy watching them squirm as they struggle to answer. Of course if that doesn't work you can always tell them to eff off!!

I love that! "Now why would you say such a thing?" That is great! I will remember this. Thank you for sugesting it!! ;) I knew my fellow LHCers would understand how horrible this felt to hear her say something so rude. It was so awkward, since the lady didn't say it directly to me, but she said it about me to her daughter. Just floored me how rude she was! ugh!!:thud:

ETA maybe I should change my LHC name to Cousin It!! LOL! :(

merseaone
February 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM
For the most part I have been wearing it down - it is almost if not bsl. I am constantly debating of letting my bangs grow out and have no idea how to wear my hair when it is growing out. I have hair toys but when growing out bangs I can't figure out how to use them. Usually I curl the top of my hair and when I do I can find a million ways to wear my hair. I have friends who have said wearing my hair with just bangs I look 10 years younger but the other day when I was wearing my hair poofed on top, I was talking to a gentleman about vitamins and he said to me "Not that you have to worry about this now but once you are in your 50's you need to take your vitamins every day!" I had to laugh because I am 58 and have a varity of natural hair colors!

Clarkie
February 11th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I love that! "Now why would you say such a thing?" That is great! I will remember this. Thank you for sugesting it!! ;) I knew my fellow LHCers would understand how horrible this felt to hear her say something so rude. It was so awkward, since the lady didn't say it directly to me, but she said it about me to her daughter. Just floored me how rude she was! ugh!!:thud:

ETA maybe I should change my LHC name to Cousin It!! LOL! :(

Cousin It was my favourite Addams Family character! I used to have WL hair when I was a kid. I would comb it forward over my face and pretend to be Cousin It. It drove my Mom nuts cuz I would literally walk into walls. lol!

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Cousin It was my favourite Addams Family character! I used to have WL hair when I was a kid. I would comb it forward over my face and pretend to be Cousin It. It drove my Mom nuts cuz I would literally walk into walls. lol!

LOL!! Too funny!:bow:

Saldana
February 11th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I'm 54, and my hair is just now reaching BSL again (after the Big Chop of 2012).....I wear it down or in a half up a lot, although on my third post-wash day (like today) I'll generally wear it in a bun or french twist. I'm one of the only women over 40 or so at my workplace with long hair. Nobody really says much. As it gets longer, though, I'll wear it up more, both to protect it, and to keep it from getting tangled up in stuff. Or, even more likely, it will live in a french braid. :)

Edit: That reminded me of a funny story from back when my hair was hip length and dyed dark brown. It was living up or in a french braid, but I would often take it down and let it be loose when I took a walking break at work. I was out walking along a busy street, hair loose. I hear a car coming up from behind, and I got wolf-whistled. Well, then he pulled up along side me, and saw that he'd just wolf-whistled someone old enough to be his mother! He yelled something like "lady cut that g*dd*mn hair!!" and roared away. LOL.....he sure was embarrassed.

trolleypup
February 11th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I would have brought my hair over my face and stuck my glasses on top and said "No, THIS is Cousin Itt!"

Sarahlabyrinth
February 11th, 2015, 08:31 PM

^^^ I fully agree with this, LongCurlyTress! Hugs to you that this woman made such a rude an OBNOXIOUS comment aimed at you. I hope you will still feel able to wear your hair loose from time to time. How else will we be an inspiration for other older people who might be thinking of doing the same?

Islandgrrl
February 11th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I wish I could say I wear my hair down, but knee length hair is challenging. I do often take it down for a few moments during the day to redo my updo, or to just give myself a little scalp massage. I've never gotten ugly comments. Mostly just the ever so predictable, "Wow, your hair is long!"

hennalonghair
February 11th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Sorry to momentarily detail but Islandgrrl, I know I've mentioned this before but that moth or butterfly you have in your hair looks stunning. Knee length hennaed hair must look amazing.

DeadlyUnicorn
February 11th, 2015, 11:40 PM
I'm no where near 50 but if I were I'd wear it however I want. If anyone has anything negative to say that's just shows what a disgusting person they are :shrug:

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 06:02 AM
I'm going to be 43, but I'm one of those who wears it up *constantly* except on wash days (when it's in a half-up).

Juanita
February 12th, 2015, 08:18 AM
I'm over 60 and depending what I'm doing whether I wear it in a bun or down. Often I will wear it down when going out though.

hanne jensen
February 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'll wear my hair in a half up sometimes when I go out. It depends on my mood and the weather. I always have a hairstick in my purse in case it irritates me too much.

Beezle
February 12th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I'm over 60 and the only time I wear my hair down is the very short time til my hair dries on hair washing days. If this happens on a work day, I invariably get compliments from a couple of female colleagues on my hair, and honest it is not admirable hair! I believe the reason this happens is because I live in an Arabic country where the vast majority of hair is covered, so it's the "glimpse of stocking" effect. I feel more comfortable with my hair in a bun but it definitely ages me, which I don't mind enough to put up with the spiderweb feeling of wearing it down.

merseaone
February 12th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I remember one time when I was in Walmart and wearing my hair poofed up on top and my hair down. These three 'kids' walked by me looking at my hair laughing and made some smart remarks. I merely walked by them smiled at them glancing at their weird styles that were dyed green, purple and pink, all the piercing they were sporting all over their face, and tattoes everywhere. That shut them up for some reason.

chen bao jun
February 12th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Long curly tress, I am glad you have reconsidered keeping up your hair. I would not let one person make me do this. She sounds very insecure, no one without issues could be so very rude. I was actually taught to do thst. Some of my close family had or have a hobby of laughing at how ugly others complete strangers are, so that it's audible. After I learned not to do it, I used to get angry and embarrassed by them until some one pointed how how miserable and afraid of life these people are. Also, thsee people immediately turn on each other when there is no one else around and trash each other until someone is in tears. Then they claim they were joking. Please do not give this a moments thought.

In2wishin
February 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM
It depends on where I am going, what I will be wearing, and the weather. Hot summer days (and nights) I always wear my hair up. Certain outfits look better with my hair down.

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Long curly tress, I am glad you have reconsidered keeping up your hair. I would not let one person make me do this. She sounds very insecure, no one without issues could be so very rude. I was actually taught to do thst. Some of my close family had or have a hobby of laughing at how ugly others complete strangers are, so that it's audible. After I learned not to do it, I used to get angry and embarrassed by them until some one pointed how how miserable and afraid of life these people are. Also, thsee people immediately turn on each other when there is no one else around and trash each other until someone is in tears. Then they claim they were joking. Please do not give this a moments thought.

Sorry you have had family members be so mean! I am glad you don't do this anymore. Embarrassment and ridicule from others still hurts alot to be on the receiving end no matter how hard you try to not let it bother you. You are right when you say mocking and laughing at others just shows insecurity and rudeness and ill-manners and ugliness. Unfortunately rudeness is running overtly rampant on social media these days. Always consider the source. Thank you for your support! I am not sure why (young) people especially are being so mean to each other. It scares me! We need each other in this world. Hugs to you too! :poot:

ETA that I really think that jealousy from others (primarily other women and girls towards other women and girls) manifests itself in meaness and ridicule and rude comments. I think when others have something different than the norms in society that that "other" thing scares people and then they start to question if what they are doing is right, so the easiest way to save face is to ridicule the "other idea" to save face. My first reaction to the rude woman when she made that comment to her daughter was she was jealous of me with my long -- abit beyond hip length curly hair since her hair was chopped off and really did not look attractive or feminine at all. The last thing I am sure she wanted was for her daughter to question both of their very short, boyish looking haircuts, as if some other woman (me ;) knows what beauty means better than the mom knew so the easiest way to deal with this with her young 7ish? year old daughter was to mock me and say I looked like Cousin It. I have no doubt that woman regrets chopping off her hair and that of her daughter's into pixies and my long hair made her feel threatened like she didn't make such a good decision.

What a long dissertation on reasoning and human jealousy!! ;) Thanks for reading! ;)

girlcat36
February 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I'll be 50 this year. I wear my hair down more often than not.

LongCurlyTress
February 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I love your curls and platinum elegance girlcat36!! Beautiful!! :blossom:

girlcat36
February 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Thank you, LongCurlyTresses!
I'm finally starting to feel okay with my hair after a long LHC absence.

dulce
February 13th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I'm 63 now ,my hair has been cut for now to waist.I wear it loose or in a half up or braid or bun or pony,It all depends on my mood and weather[curly girl here]
Girlcat36,I love your silver curls!

girlcat36
February 13th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Thank you, Dulce! I love your hair!

ghost
February 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I am not 50 or over, but I have to say I absolutely love and appreciate all the awesome older ladies who don't care what society thinks and wear their hair long. There's a lady in one of my ballet classes who has drop-dead gorgeous, silvery-white hair that's at least knee length. And the ballet instructor for another class is at least 50, but she has gorgeous hip length hair. Also one of my belly dance teachers -calf-length!

But the point is, I LOVE seeing older people who are into the same stuff I'm into as a twentysomething, be it long hair, goth, metal, or whatever. It represents several years of dedication that started out in a time where society wasn't nearly as used to seeing anything "alternative", and just owning it. It is really, really inspiring, and I look forward to being an Eldergoth/metalhead with super long hair and inspiring the next generation.

Mely
February 14th, 2015, 12:34 AM
I'll be 60 next month.

Unless I need to keep it out of the way while I am cooking or gardening, I almost always wear my hair down or half up (with my favorite Pewter Dragon Barrette).
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/Ennacrone/P2100819.jpg

I do not think I have ever had any comments one way or another.

Where did you get that pewter dragon barrette??

kitschy
February 14th, 2015, 05:36 AM
I'm over 50 and wear my hair down at least 1/2 the time. I like to wear it down after washes when the curls are best, then after a day or two I put it up until I wash again. I'm just thankful that my hair has regrown to a point where I can put it up again - less frequent washings! :doh:

In2wishin
February 14th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I always have a hairstick in my purse in case it irritates me too much.

I need to remember to do this, or at least keep a couple of Amish pins in my coin purse. I often end up with a pen, pencil, drinking straw, etc. in my hair when it irritates me. I have even been known to ask the bartender for a couple of the plastic spears they put olives, etc on so I can get my hair off my neck.

rags
February 14th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Not quite 50, but I almost never wear my hair down. I would, but my baby fine, floaty hair gets into everything! I thought when it got longer (it's between waist and hip right now) it would be long enough to keep it from floating about causing havoc - but not so.

If I had a different hair type I'd certainly wear it down. I do wear it in braids when I am able to braid. Thin and grey and all!! :p

Echileruwen
February 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I'm over 50 and wear my hair down most of the time, mostly because hair toys just slide right out. I don't know how other people keep them in.

sibiryachka
February 16th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I'm 51. Rarely wear my (just barely hip length) down at all, not because of age but because I simply don't much care for how it looks when down, and because it gets too tangled. I've never gotten any negative comments, but have noticed that the only times I get catcalled or unwanted "Hey pretty lady" attention from strangers is when I wear it down. If I really wanted to leave it loose, I wouldn't let that alone stop me, but since I don't want to... Bonus.

merseaone
May 25th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I'm almost 59 now and I wear my hair down most of the time. I've seen a few women with very long hair wear their hair in a braid that hangs either down their backs or over a shoulder.

Remi
May 25th, 2015, 09:02 PM
No, I don't when I go out. It's only down at home when it's drying.

harpgal
May 26th, 2015, 01:32 PM
At my present length, no. However, when I was in my mid-50s and at tailbone and classic, yes. For my part, age has no bearing but length does.

Mimha
May 26th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Girlcat, I find your hair absolutely lovely, with all these cute natural golden-silver curls ! :crush: :crush:

elea
May 26th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Absolutely no idea what hair-length/style/colour got to do with age.
Style/shape/life/? changes; ok, change hair maybe, down to personal opinion/situation.
But age; as general and goofy as... How many fish fingers one has in their freezer because if more than 6, then cannot wear hair clips with penguins on, that would be wrong.

roseomalley
May 26th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I will be 69 next month. I am all silver. I wear it down (half-up, with a Flexi or bun holding the up part) once a week or so, in cool weather only. I am just at BSL now, still growing. No one has ever said anything to me, except my sister, who does not like long hair.

nakima
May 26th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I always wear my hair down when out and I get compliments on it all the time. Sometimes it's about the length and other times it's about the color. Makes me feel good :)