PDA

View Full Version : Baby hairs!

M.McDonough
February 10th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Hello

I was just wondering. Do baby hairs grow long? And do they grow longer on women than on men?
I'm talking about those thin hairs around the neck and the ears. I have a hunch that they reach a certain point and just stop growing because they seem apparently frizzy and gnarly.

To show you what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/iZl6Yqc.jpg
4 little hairs plucked out of my neck ''not PLUCKING I don't do that I was just simply stroking them and they accidentally fell out''. Baby hairs are quite fragile they fall out so easily just by simply stroking them :( Those hairs are not really long as they may look on the picture probably because of the shadow..

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2015, 03:32 AM
No comments???? :/

Hotrox
February 11th, 2015, 05:44 AM
All hairs have a terminal length, the hair just at my temples, behind my ears and nape of the neck grows to a few inches and stop. They do seem finer also and as such are more prone to damage. I don't think of these as baby hairs, they are just shorter hairs!!

Anje
February 11th, 2015, 07:42 AM
No comments???? :/
Dude, the timestamps on your posts for me (so locally) say 1:43am and 5:32am. Quite a few of us are in the western hemisphere and sleeping at those hours! :sleep:

For me, nape hairs tend to stay pretty short. But in my case, that's maybe 6 inches they can gain, if I don't get sick of them getting fairy knots and trim them. The ones near my ears a similar, but they get handling and eyeglasses. On my husband, though, those hairs have a lot of beard-like qualities and are coarser than head hair. I imagine his would grow nicely if he wanted to grow his hair and beard out. (Picking what is head and what is sideburn is an interesting exercise, though, I imagine.)

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Yes, I have one comment. Why the *heck* pluck them out?

M.McDonough
February 11th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Yes, I have one comment. Why the *heck* pluck them out?

I don't. I told you they're easily damaged. Simply by stroking them they fall out. that's what I did ''stroking''. I used to trim them but not anymore haven't done that in more than 4 months (some guys do that for a neat-looking ponytail or something) but what's the point of trimming? they'll grow back out anyway...

MINAKO
February 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM
everyone has those andyes, they can be annoying. i would never pluck them but i was thinking of having them lasered in the back to a W shape like you would see a geisha painting her neck. lol at celebrities doing that to the hairline around their faces tho. kim kardashian and lilly ghalichi look like they wear lacefront wigs, haha.
if in doubt, keep all the hair!

ExpectoPatronum
February 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Baby hairs don't bother me. I kind of like the wild look they give me when they're sticking up all over the place. :cool::cool:

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I don't. I told you they're easily damaged. Simply by stroking them they fall out. that's what I did ''stroking''. I used to trim them but not anymore haven't done that in more than 4 months (some guys do that for a neat-looking ponytail or something) but what's the point of trimming? they'll grow back out anyway...

That's totally odd, that hair would fall out just by "stroking" it. :hmm:

MINAKO
February 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM

indeed odd. i can pull mine like mad and nothing comes out unless i go for individual ones.

DeadlyUnicorn
February 12th, 2015, 03:16 AM
indeed odd. i can pull mine like mad and nothing comes out unless i go for individual ones.

I'm not sure how long the hairs are in the picture but I was able to pull out maybe around 10 hairs around 1-3 inches from all around my hairline from my forehead to neck by lightly stroking them... :undecided

vega
February 12th, 2015, 03:43 AM
That could be your terminal length for baby hairs

M.McDonough
February 12th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Why is it odd? some hairs could simply fall out while brushing them...

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Why is it odd? some hairs could simply fall out while brushing them...

Because it's odd for nape hairs to come out like that. Mine certainly don't do that just by stroking them. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't get 4 short ones like that in one "sitting". They're actually pretty sturdy. But YMMV. :shrug:

M.McDonough
February 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Baby hairs don't bother me. I kind of like the wild look they give me when they're sticking up all over the place. :cool::cool:

So do I, but people kept ignoring my question which is this ''Do baby hairs grow long and do they grow longer on women than on men?''

vega
February 12th, 2015, 11:56 AM
M.McDonough men and women have the same DNA so hair is no different for a man or woman

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM
M.McDonough men and women have the same DNA so hair is no different for a man or woman

Even so, the different hormone make-up can have a different effect on hair as well as on the rest of the body.

I can't answer your question, for the simple fact that I don't know. I think it's 1/ hormones 2/ the individual.

Sterlyn
February 12th, 2015, 01:01 PM
So do I, but people kept ignoring my question which is this ''Do baby hairs grow long and do they grow longer on women than on men?''

I don't think people are ignoring your question, I'm not sure there is an answer anyone can give you. I doubt there are any studies being done on even the differences in hair between male and female or more specifically if the shorter hair around the nape or hairline varies between males to females. Most of us know what our own hair does, and that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. No way to make a generalization with info I don't have.

From my own perspective the hair at the nape does not seem to fall out any easier or faster than the hair elsewhere. I do have spots where the hair only grows to a few inches (some even less) and it doesn't seem to change, it's become much more noticeable since I've grown my hair longer and those areas frequently stick out in odd ways and refuse to lay nicely.

chebella
February 13th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I have a lot of those but when I consistently apply coconut oil and castor oil and massage the oils around my hairline, the baby hairs have grown. So far, I have a bunch of baby hairs that have grown 7 inches but I also have new growth, so new baby hairs. I like it as my hairline has always been a bit higher than I'd like it to be. If you want them longer you can gently massage with these oils- the coconut will strengthen your strands so they don't fall out so easily and the castor oil will make them grow faster and spur new growth.

M.McDonough
February 14th, 2015, 01:03 AM
I have a lot of those but when I consistently apply coconut oil and castor oil and massage the oils around my hairline, the baby hairs have grown. So far, I have a bunch of baby hairs that have grown 7 inches but I also have new growth, so new baby hairs. I like it as my hairline has always been a bit higher than I'd like it to be. If you want them longer you can gently massage with these oils- the coconut will strengthen your strands so they don't fall out so easily and the castor oil will make them grow faster and spur new growth.

I personally use jojoba oil on baby hairs once a week