PDA

View Full Version : Hairtoy time-out support thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Majorane
February 9th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Okay, I bought a few things off the swapboard, all lovely, but now I'm broke. And really, let's face it, I have over 50 sticks, and I don't need them! And I could really do with spending a little less.

So, I am yet again back in the time-out!I know I'm not the only one. I need buddies that help me, not to enable me for a change, but to say to me be strong Majorane and do not buy it! You already have more than your heart desires! Which is true.

So. Any others that can support me, and I can provide support? Let's share it here! Share your goals and your exceptions. Share your pitfalls, talk about it if you encounter one and let us point out the flaws and why you do not need it! Show off what you already have, to forget the ones we cannot have.

I start! I am in time-out until May.
My exceptions are my Hacksaw Monthly Subscription and any rare antiques I might find - IRL, on a market! Also, gifts for others in a swap. Supplies for making things are also allowed. But no other ready made things!

My pitfalls: Lava acrylics, MapleBurls, Swap Boards. Halp!

So! Who is with me?

Rushli
February 9th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I am not joining you yet, but I will be in time out this summer so I can save that money for any black friday or christmas sales that will come up. Good idea for starting a support thread!

pastina
February 9th, 2015, 01:38 PM
well... i have a feeling this thread is going to be suuuuper enabling.

MINAKO
February 9th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Minako is typing...

wait for it...

... not yet!

lol ;)

Majorane
February 9th, 2015, 02:18 PM
well... i have a feeling this thread is going to be suuuuper enabling.

No, I'm going to chase enablers out. Here we say 'That TT? Well it's not the best color of wood for your hair, and have you seen that inlay? So 2014.' Or 'The grains on that Jeter do remind me something fierce of a *bleeeeep* with a *bleep* doing *bleeeeeeeeeeep*.

Enables begone!

Also, Rushli and Minako: ....spoilsports!!!

ooglipoo
February 9th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I'm going to join. I don't need another single thing! I've been on a roll for a couple of months, and now... I think I'm done! :D

I got a pretty couple of pieces from AspenSong, and I have a pair of Quattro that I'm splitting with UpsideDown, and after they get here, I'll be done for a bit.

Overall, I need to cut back on buying stuff for myself. I haven't gone nuts, or anything, but, I know when I need to stop, because there's this little voice that comes from somewhere inside me that doesn't get satisfied. Like if I go out, anywhere, and don't get something, I hear it, "But what did *I* get?" Nothing becomes enough, my Greedy Little Imp wants it all. It's like the little green bugger is a spoiled 4yo child, or something.

I was just thinking about where GreedlyLittleImp pops up from. Usually, I don't feel this way and need to reign it in. Going without is going to have to do!

So, if you need support or anything, Majo, let me know. I'll try to talk you down... :D

hennalonghair
February 9th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Just say Nooooo!

When I first joined I did not think I was ever gonna be someone with too many hair toys but I'm actually getting into that category of having so many toys you can't possibly wear them all.

It does become an obsession for sure.

I'm thinking of having a destashing sale. I like the idea of circulating stuff back around because I like the excitement of trying new stuff.

Btw.... The one fat EAD acrylic stick does hold like a rock.
Ones enough ! I found a new and improved way of bunning

ooglipoo
February 9th, 2015, 03:01 PM
What's your new and improved bunning method, HLH? I'm sitting here with a BigEad stuck through my LWB and I feel pieces popping out and tickling my neck! LWB is my quick go-to and cinnabun is my slow style...

Alaska98
February 9th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Can I join for sticks only? Lol I <3 sticks, and I need to quit looking. However, I do still need to obtain the perfect head-curvy, pointy, 3 prong fork.

redredrobin
February 9th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I was actually going through my stuff last night, as I have a few things being posted and was taking stock, and realised I had far less than I thought.

I mean, it fits in one drawstring bag.

One. Small. Bag.

Maybe I'm an un-enabler? :D

hennalonghair
February 9th, 2015, 03:15 PM
What's your new and improved bunning method, HLH? I'm sitting here with a BigEad stuck through my LWB and I feel pieces popping out and tickling my neck! LWB is my quick go-to and cinnabun is my slow style...

I usually have pieces sticking out also and eventually by the end of the day it would need redoing but lately I've been using a satin scrunchie and making a ponytail first. Then wrap that around the base then putting the stick or fork through . You end up with a more secure bun and less of that frizzy halo look.
The satin scrunchie shows up in places in the bun and looks pretty too. Of course I match up the colours- scrunchies to hairtoy colours etc.
I get these pretty scrunchies at the DOLLAR store.

meteor
February 9th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Wow! Majorane, refreshing, cool thread! :thumbsup:
I don't have a hair-toy addiction, but I'll lurk around anyway because I think this is going to be a fun thread! And what an interesting psychological experiment: will this thread become massively enabling for LHCers or not? :hmm: Will the Good or Evil prevail? This thread will test boundaries of will power, discipline and determination! Mwahaha! Wow, this is more exciting than sports! :popcorn:

On a (slightly) more serious note, what I think probably helps with hair-toy time-outs:
- full moratoriums and time/$$ limits on visiting Etsy;
- severely limiting time spent browsing the Conventional Hair Products & Hair Accessories threads;
More hard-core measures:
- nominating somebody else (e.g. SO) to be custodian or accountant for your collection - you know, to keep you honest ;) ;
- asking a short-haired, minimalist and brutally honest friend what they really think about large hair-toy storage...
There are probably lots and lots of other ideas, but I just can't think of anything else at the moment.

sourgrl
February 9th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thank you for this thread, Majorane!! I have monies in my paypal account I am trying so very hard not to spend unless something from my wish list becomes available. It's the only monies I'm allowing myself to use so once it's gone, it's gone. There seems to be temptation around every corner. Trying to sit on my hands and wait is so hard. It doesn't help that I have an addiction to TTs, of all things. That leafy vine stick... The full body pearl... The full body leaves.. All of them sitting there for days waiting for a home. Good gawd, it's like going to the local pound. I wish I could take them all home! And the pretty paua that's been up on the swap board for days too. Oy. I think I need an intervention, not just a time out! :silly:

lapushka
February 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I'm always in time out, constantly, unless something strikes my fancy, which is rare.

meteor
February 9th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Good gawd, it's like going to the local pound. I wish I could take them all home!

Oh my God! That's such a perfect analogy! That's why I don't allow myself to even look at Etsy.

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I will join, if you will really keep the enablers out.
I want to buy an opal lotus ficcare and also a Kiev gift shop fork and then quit. I don't want to buy any more lady iduns, especially.
I want to save my money for some furniture and a trip.
I need to stay away from not only the conventional hairtoys section but also the show me your bun thread and several others in the mane forum.
Also, ebay and etsy.
I also don't want to try to sell, as that leads to looking at what others are selling.
I wish I had your self restraint, lapushka.

georgia_peach
February 9th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Thank YOU, Majorane, for starting this thread. I definitely have too many toys for someone who can't even wear them yet. My hair is not even APL yet but you wouldn't know it looking at my fast growing toy collection. I even started this thread ( http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129374 ) to help me curb the buying frenzy. Then what did I do?? I bought another 60th street fork! Aaaahhhhhh!!!! :wail: So all of that to say, I'm in!

ETA: Awesome points, meteor! I'm going to implement those right now.

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Hey georgia_peach and everyone! Nice to see everyone over here!! Well, as some of you might remember, I have been on a hairtoy purchasing timeout and I am feeling pretty good about not succumbing to all that temptation. It is easier than dieting for me to say the least. Something that has helped me to appreciate what I already have instead of buying more hairtoys, is my new mantra, "I have all I NEED! I have all I NEED! I have all I NEED!! It is still a challenge to look at the for sale threads, or the TT thread, but TT's recently went up in price so that stopped my TT addiction at a screeching halt, and I already have a 3 prong WAJ hairfork and some wooden hairsticks and acrylics from CMW, oh and my Amish pins.:happydance:

I think it boils down to this... You know that feeling when you go shopping, just for something to do, and then whammo! You walk out of the store having spent $200 on stuff you were not planning on buying or didn't need?? It's the same thing here. Just don't go shopping. Stay off of Etsy, Amazon, Ebay etc. I deleted all my Etsy bookmarks. Once you start, it's like being in a pastry shoppe for me. Bad news!! But, out of sight and out of mind works!! ;)

Anyways, repeat after me.. I have all I need. I have all I need. I have all I need! ;) Good luck! :soapbox:

georgia_peach
February 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Hi, LongCurlyTress! Yes, indeed. I have all I need. :agree:

LongCurlyTress
February 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Yay! georgia_peach!! :)

Quasiquixotic
February 9th, 2015, 09:06 PM
So as the queen bee enabler, I kinda feel like I should join this, if I'm allowed. I've been infected with a destash fever by an irl long haired friend. And while I've made some progress, there is still way more to make.

I was thinking of starting an opinion thread, but maybe this would work here. I've been taking really great action shots of my toys specifically for comparison purposes. Like all of my Jeterforks, but also all of my "blue" toys. I've found it really helpful in destashing to have good quality photos of my toys IN MY HAIR. So I know this is as good as this one looks. And I can ask myself, "do i love it?" "Does this one look better?" It also lets me rank my toys - like my favorite LIs.

This worked really well for some things, but for others I get stuck. Like I have two shedua Jeterforks and two Vera wood jeters. I'm having trouble choosing between them. But as soon as I can I will be at 10 Jeters. And that is STILL an insane number of forks, and it's *just* one maker. Could I post those here and you all help me pick between them? Or is that enabling?

Could I post all 12 of my Jeter photos and you all help me narrow it down to a top 5? Can I do this for other makers? Is that enabling?

Don't get me started on LadyIduns, ficcare...or tusks.

Goals: bring my total stash to less than 100 toys. I don't have a firm count but I think I have less than 200. Probaby in the 160-175 range. 100 is a mini goal with the aim of bringing it to 50 in the end. I'm not even sure 50 is attainable. I would need to un-dragon A LOT for that. But imagine the pure cream that 50 would be. :cloud9:. And I could wear them all 7ish time a year :nono: :brickwall: :doh:! Dare I even hope for 31? I could wear everything in one month. (I have more ficcare than that, I'm almost ashamed to say.) Wow that would be ballzy.

Alaska98
February 9th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Not my thread, but I'd say sure, post comparison pics! I don't think it would enable me. I have a very specific list of things I still would like to have.

Rushli
February 9th, 2015, 09:34 PM
No, I'm going to chase enablers out. Here we say 'That TT? Well it's not the best color of wood for your hair, and have you seen that inlay? So 2014.' Or 'The grains on that Jeter do remind me something fierce of a *bleeeeep* with a *bleep* doing *bleeeeeeeeeeep*.

Enables begone!

Also, Rushli and Minako: ....spoilsports!!!
I could join if you dont count all the custom orders I am already talking to makers about....

So as the queen bee enabler, I kinda feel like I should join this, if I'm allowed. I've been infected with a destash fever by an irl long haired friend. And while I've made some progress, there is still way more to make.

I was thinking of starting an opinion thread, but maybe this would work here. I've been taking really great action shots of my toys specifically for comparison purposes. Like all of my Jeterforks, but also all of my "blue" toys. I've found it really helpful in destashing to have good quality photos of my toys IN MY HAIR. So I know this is as good as this one looks. And I can ask myself, "do i love it?" "Does this one look better?" It also lets me rank my toys - like my favorite LIs.

This worked really well for some things, but for others I get stuck. Like I have two shedua Jeterforks and two Vera wood jeters. I'm having trouble choosing between them. But as soon as I can I will be at 10 Jeters. And that is STILL an insane number of forks, and it's *just* one maker. Could I post those here and you all help me pick between them? Or is that enabling?

Could I post all 12 of my Jeter photos and you all help me narrow it down to a top 5? Can I do this for other makers? Is that enabling?

Don't get me started on LadyIduns, ficcare...or tusks.

Goals: bring my total stash to less than 100 toys. I don't have a firm count but I think I have less than 200. Probaby in the 160-175 range. 100 is a mini goal with the aim of bringing it to 50 in the end. I'm not even sure 50 is attainable. I would need to un-dragon A LOT for that. But imagine the pure cream that 50 would be. :cloud9:. And I could wear them all 7ish time a year :nono: :brickwall: :doh:! Dare I even hope for 31? I could wear everything in one month. (I have more ficcare than that, I'm almost ashamed to say.) Wow that would be ballzy.

I would participate in this, but think it would be enabling. Just knowing that discarded toys would be going up for sale would be hard to pass up if anything was on my wish list. (just shows my lack of self control!!!!)

Avis
February 9th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I so need this thread. I told myself I was buying a piccolo this semester and NO hair toys, so of course I ended up with a piccolo and some Ead sticks. Cheaper than some toys, but I told myself I wouldn't buy anything and I just did it anyway. I nearly bought a Jeter today but I told myself that I have one 2 prong and one 3 prong and they're both different woods, so anything I would want to get is already too similar to what I already have. I think I'm putting myself in time out til graduation in May. Of course by then, I won't be getting financial aid anymore and might end up on a longer time out than I thought. But I've got enough pretties to last me a while. I just wish I had a red stick of some kind. Ack! No I don't! :lala:

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Quasi, I think that would enable me. I don't know what others think but pictures of hair toys here would get me going....I know from experience. ..

Charybdis
February 10th, 2015, 03:22 AM
So, my deal with hair toys at this point is that I'm not going to buy any more variations of ones I already have until I learn to use the majority of my stash.

Here's a complete list of the stash, with an asterisk next to the ones in active use:

* one pair of 6" Ead sticks
* two pairs of 5" Ead sticks
a single 5" Ead stick (was part of a pair, 2nd stick broke due to a defect in the material)
* one Princess Eve TT
one smallish 3-prong Grahtoe fork (swap board purchase)
two large Ficcare Maximas (recently purchased from the current collections)
one Quattro Starlites combo fork set (https://www.etsy.com/listing/103258030/quattro-hair-accessories-starlites-combo)
one France Luxe 2-prong fork
one small ornamental 3-prong comb (swapboard purchase, too small to hold up my hair but could be used to accent a bun if I could figure out how)
* various cheap hair ties, scrunchies, and hair pins

As you can see, sticks are my go-to. I really want to make the Ficcares work, but have been struggling, as they tend to slip under the weight of my hair, or get ejected because I've tried to clip too thick a section of hair. I also think the Grahtoe and the Quattro forks have real potential, but I've not found the right buns for those yet (possibly need longer hair?). The France Luxe fork and the ornamental comb I've pretty much given up on.

MUST RESIST URGE TO BUY MORE STICKS. MUST LEARN MORE HAIR STYLES.

DreamSheep
February 10th, 2015, 03:38 AM
Sounds like where I belong right now. :)

I still have stuff coming in the mail. *MUST BREAK THE CYCLE*

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 03:53 AM
Wow! I go to bed after opening a half-joking complaint about the enablers (bless your hearts) and now we're three pages already! Awesome.
Seriously, I am glad I'm not the only one that gets greedy from all the pretties that go around. I don't need them! I have more than enough sticks and forks and combs and, oh dear, let us not forget all the combinations one can make with a changethebeadstick. Will that one holly TT with blue snowflakes I want really improve my overal life happiness? No, right? Savings on the bank DO make me more happy. But it's just so hard to resist sometimes, especially since it seems that everyone here can buy everything they want all the time! Which isn't true at all of course, but sometimes it seems that way.

So, What would be bad enabling for everyone and what is okay? Chen, you said you'd rather not look at possible weeding pictures of peoples stash. I am glad you were honest and spoke up with what you don't want, so we can help you and you'll stick around and you can help me maybe if I have a weak moment.
What are your thoughts on happy pictures of peoples stuff they have and covet while not wanting any more things? Is that enabling too for anyone? If it is then we don't do that, either. I just went through my stash yesterday, just before I opened this thread. I have so much, and so many things I really do love, because they are awesome and they work! I am blessed already. But maybe better not show those, then.

I had a bonus from work last year, and I decided that I could spend it on nice things for me. My grandmothers jools got stolen after she died, all but a few trinkets, so I was allowed to get myself some nice things to make up for that. My future children do need heirloom pieces, after all. So I started buying a lot of small things and bigger things too, and man I loved the expanding of my horizon that went with the new toys and the lovely toy threads here and the cool updo's and matching everything.... But now, new things do not 'add' something to my stash any more, I have things that work and things that don't I have given away, and I noticed that new purchases don't always make me as happy as the first ones did. I am much more happy with the presents I got in the winterswap than ALL the expensive items I bought from oktober onwards to now, because those are much more special.

So! Bam.
Of course I did hear my vintage boutique with the old combs is having sale. I tell you all this, so you can go NO. if I want them and go angry at me if I cave in. I do not want you to scold me, so I shall not cave. I don't wear mantilla combs, anyway, and I have enough of the others.

Of course today I am strong. I hope this thread stays active, so when my ladyweek comes I can still get some support from the terrible greed that always overcomes me due to too much hormones......

georgia_peach
February 10th, 2015, 04:32 AM
I so need this thread. ******* I just wish I had a red stick of some kind. Ack! No I don't! :lala: LOL, Avis! This is the exact same thinking that gets me into trouble. EVERY. TIME. Stay strong, my friend!

Quasi, I think that would enable me. I don't know what others think but pictures of hair toys here would get me going....I know from experience. .. Yes, indeed, Chen. I love gazing at pictures of Quasi's hairtoys and am highly enabled by them. :D I'm sure I would head straight to the Swap Board and buy whatever we helped you weed out of your stash, Quasi! Oh, maybe you could do it as a blog? Or even start a Help me Destash thread? That way would have to go search it out rather than have easy access to the hairtoy pics? Kind of like sneaking a peak at Etsy or something? OH DEAR. I'm already heading down the slippery slope again. :oops:

So, my deal with hair toys at this point is that I'm not going to buy any more variations of ones I already have until I learn to use the majority of my stash.

Here's a complete list of the stash, with an asterisk next to the ones in active use:

* one pair of 6" Ead sticks
* two pairs of 5" Ead sticks
a single 5" Ead stick (was part of a pair, 2nd stick broke due to a defect in the material)
* one Princess Eve TT
one smallish 3-prong Grahtoe fork (swap board purchase)
two large Ficcare Maximas (recently purchased from the current collections)
one Quattro Starlites combo fork set (https://www.etsy.com/listing/103258030/quattro-hair-accessories-starlites-combo)
one France Luxe 2-prong fork
one small ornamental 3-prong comb (swapboard purchase, too small to hold up my hair but could be used to accent a bun if I could figure out how)
* various cheap hair ties, scrunchies, and hair pins

Whew!! A stash list I can handle. ;)

Sounds like where I belong right now. :)

I still have stuff coming in the mail. *MUST BREAK THE CYCLE* Oh dear. I, too, have a few things still coming in the mail.

Cania
February 10th, 2015, 04:32 AM
My name is Cania and I'm a hairtoy addict.

Hairtoy budget for the month: $0
Actual spending on Ficcares for the month: $250

:shudder:
Not that I'm in debt over it but still, scary!

To be fair though, that is it now. I'm going to get some of the new Lotuses (loti?) and there is nothing else I 'need' otherwise. I actually feel pretty good about it. I did a lot of destashing last year and I feel better for it.

My collection stands at...

Forks: 11 (two metal, nine wood)
Sticks: 17 (counting pairs as one)
Ficcare: 10
Fakkare: 5
Flexis: 5
Moons: 1

Total: 49
That will be 50 when a gift from a dear member here arrives.

I really should reduce that down more. I like Quasi's idea of having 31 toys, but I'm not sure there is anything I'd be happy parting with now. Perhaps I will stick to 50 and if I want anything new, something old has to go? That seems sensible, plus 50 is a great number ;)

Could we maybe start a thread like... "Help Me Destash!" where we post comparison pictures and people help us decide what to part with? Would save enabling here. That said, we will want to talk about toys here sometimes I guess. Like "help convince me I don't need it!" Otherwise I can't imagine there is much to talk about?

georgia_peach
February 10th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. Majorane, STEP AWAY from the antique hair combs!

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. Majorane, STEP AWAY from the antique hair combs!

Thank yooouuu....

Is it bad I'm thinking "but he'll never sell them to anyone else so I just bide my time until I get my holiday money and then I might give myself a treat"? It will not be before may anyway...

Upside Down
February 10th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Majorane, you don't need the combs now, and maybe see how you feel in May?

I too belong here even if I don't have so many toys. I joined lhc many many yeats ago but have not been on the forum much and then left for years... Only to come back when my shed started cause I guess I needed some support. Then I needed something to make me feel good about my hair so I am back for, what, 2 months, and I have 5 new toys with 4 more on the way and a modification planned for one I don't wear.
No. It stops now.
What I have and what will arrive puts me at total of 7 forks and 7 sticks and I just counted them in my head and those are great numbers :lol: and more than enough for me since I wear braids half the time anyway.

Now help me not buy that dendritic agate 2 prong quattro fork sitting in his store!!!!!!

PS, non-US people, aren't you happy we have a time zone disadvantage? :lol: I am so happy that each time I look in Lady Idun or Timberstone store they are empty!

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Meh, that Quattro isn't all that great. If you really feel like you cannot live with it in a few months, you can bent a knitting needle, get white and black polymer clay, make a fake agate cabochon (it's not hard) and put it on the bent knitting needle, with a setting of wire around it.
If it sounds like too much effort, then you do not need it :D And will you remember this fork in three months time if you don't buy it? No, right? See, you do not need it! Besides you have 7 sticks and 7 forks, better keep that equal. This fork will not improve your general overal happiness!

.....do I do it right?

Alaska98
February 10th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Antique hair comb is on my list of things I still need (I'm still a hair toy newb), but because I have something fairly specific in mind, I probably won't end up with anything soon. I guess I'm fairly good at not buying. If you set your standards too high, you won't spend.

Quasiquixotic
February 10th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Oh friends I'm sorry. I honestly don't meant to enable. I get quite vocal about things I love. I'll start a different thread along the lines of what Cania talked about.

Upside Down
February 10th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Majorane, you do it pretty great :lol:
You know the two week rule for cutting hair? How about we make a month rule for hairtoys? If it is still in the shop AND if you still want it after a month, then alrighty, you have proven yourself worthy of the Hairtoy In Question! Or is that too short of a period?

Upside Down
February 10th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Quasi, I will have to avoid such a thread bymiles, cause knowing some things I might like there will end up on the swap board ... Temptation....

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Oh friends I'm sorry. I honestly don't meant to enable. I get quite vocal about things I love. I'll start a different thread along the lines of what Cania talked about.

Don't worry, cool cat! I myself would not have found it enabling, it would help me getting into the "I do not need moar" mood. Everyone is differently enabled, and we all know you well enough to know you didn't mean to thwart our minimalistic plans. I will probably follow you and say hi in the Help me choose!thread. For me, that's not so enabling (at least, not today) so I am pretty safe there.

Antique hair comb is on my list of things I still need (I'm still a hair toy newb), but because I have something fairly specific in mind, I probably won't end up with anything soon. I guess I'm fairly good at not buying. If you set your standards too high, you won't spend.
....aaaand my first impulse was to respond with what you had in mind so I could help you find it. :whip: Oops.

Majorane, you do it pretty great :lol:
You know the two week rule for cutting hair? How about we make a month rule for hairtoys? If it is still in the shop AND if you still want it after a month, then alrighty, you have proven yourself worthy of the Hairtoy In Question! Or is that too short of a period?
I think it depends per person and per toy, but a cooling down period is certainly a good idea? I myself usually try to wait a week, or a few days, but let's face it that is a bit on the short side. On the other hand I have been mooning over the combs for ...since august, and I have only bought a batch twice, so *swells up with pride* I am doing not too bad!

Robot Ninja
February 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I don't need to put a stop to my hairtoy addiction, I need to not start. It's like smoking or crack, quitting is hard, it's easier just not to start in the first place. But I can still count all my toys on my fingers, and that includes the Eads I never wear because they're too long or too short, and ooo, shiny, I need one of these, and one of those, and okay, I don't really need them because I can just wear my Quattros all the time everywhere, but they are pretty and I want them. I want a nice collection like the cool kids have.

There is a little devil on my shoulder telling me to buy all the toys. Last week she was telling me to get a Ficarre. The little angel on my other shoulder is telling me no, I need the money for other things, but shoulder devils cheat, you see, and beat up shoulder angels, tie them up with duct tape and lock them in the basement when you're not paying attention because you're drunk.

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Okay, I'm thankful for this thread this morning. I woke up, thought of all the things I have to do that I don't want to , clicked on LHC to distract myself and saw this thread first! Yay! Reading it has settled me down.

Thanks for bearing with me about not looking at destashing photos. I felt kind of mean asking darling Quasi not to show photos of her lovely things. But I know I would want them all. I know a lot of people ask opinions about what to destash over on wear all my hair toys. also there could be a new thread, lots of people would like that.
I don't want to destash personally, I just don't want to buy more (except for the one lotus and the one Kiev gift shop ). I need the money, that is, I would rather do other things with the money right now. I would also rather do other things with my time than staring at hair toys and putting them in and taking them out of my online shopping carts, and then if I buy them, clicking on the delivery status 3 times per hour. It's a tremendous time waster for me personally.

I came on here to grow long hair, which can't be bought, not to buy ALL the hair toys. Or even one of every hair toy. For goodness sake, I have got curly hair. It actually stays up by itself! If I make a crown braid and tuck the ends in, it will stay up. A chopstick or pencil holds it up. It's fun to have hairtoys but they aren't actually a necessity of my life. They are fun but I do have a few to play around with.

If I were really good, I would cut it off cold turkey, but I do want those two things. I'm just afraid I'll think of just two more when I've got them. Looking at all the lotus ficcares when they come out is going to be terrible. Oh, my.

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Something that really helps me to not purchase something is to immediately think of something gross or horrible or disgusting that wiill turn me off Ie. When I am shopping for groceries and I pass by the pastry counter (Love me some gooey pastries ;) I try to remember the cringing, shuddering, nauseus feeling from having too much sugar. Plus I try to remember that of course the baker just picked his nose, went to the bathroom etc. before baking so no way will I eat that! Or I put the offending pastry into my cart and by the time I get to the register, I realize that I don't want to spend money on that item and I put it back. Then I focus on the skinny girl on top of the magazine at the checkout counter thinking to myself, that I am that much closer to having abs like hers.. which in reality I will never have, but... at least it is positive thinking! ;)

OK.. so this is called "negative reinforcement" for all those wanting to break a habit. Similar to a rubberband snapping on your wrist if you are trying to quit smoking, etc- snapping the band if you think about a cig. Now all this applies to hairtoy purchase binging. Negative thoughts to help break the cycle might include:
If the item is used... -- "how gross! that other person had that in their greasy hair!" (remember we are trying to talk outselves out of buying the hairtoy, so the grosser the better!!
Also, if the item is used... "they are charging what??? for a used hairtoy? I could buy a new one for that price!!"

And something that really ticks me off that I have noticed on the high end hairtoys is they only seem to issue a couple at a time ie TT's and LI's and then I am always afraid a prettier one will appear for sale after I have purchased that current one I am oogling. And, they just raised their prices. Come on!! GEESH!! And I am very angry that others seem to get these really pretty ones, but since I live in California, I never get a chance at those due to the time differences.

And, my hairtoy will probably get lost in the mail. I did get a hairtoy lost in the mail for 3 weeks!! due to an incorrect zip code somehow got put into the tracking number. The seller admitted that she did not check the post office receipt to make sure they put the correct zip code on the tracking slip. And the company was still going to charge me for it or replace it for me and charge me half price! Who does business like this?This mistake was totally their fault, so what right did they have to ding me on their mistake???? Anyways, just ranting here, but everytime we press that "purchase" green button on Etsy, then we are taking a risk that we are at the seller's mercy to get the item to us unless we insure the item and also track it. The seller got really nasty with me when it was lost in the mail. And this item cost $140!!! Wow! Anyways, the item finally arrived and I was luckily able to resell it since it was overpriced and really not worth it.

Well, I hope these negative thoughts will help deter you away from your current hairtoy purchase. Just say no!! and then it does get easier everytime to say no and talk yourself out of your purchase. Plus, my experience has been that I usually get buyers remorse almost immediately after getting the item, especially when I like the new one the sellerr has just posted but I already spent my money on the one that just arrived. Plus think of the sellers being very manipulative and deceitful. Not going to fall into their sneaky trap!!

Hope this helps to encourage others to say no!! Good luck! The more you say no, the easier it gets each time. ;):joy:

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I have got 14 ficcares
3 jeterforks
2 baerreis
1 ketylo fork
7 ketylos
10 lady idun
18 claw clips
2 flexi 8
1 grahtoe
1 elemiah Delecto
3 hair comb s
several antiques
3 barrettes
hair claw from Crockett mountain
decorated spin pins
and a whole bunch of handmade or altered, 16 or 17 fakkares, 10 or so faux flexis,etc
So I could wear something different every day for a long long time...

Wosie
February 10th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I really like this thread! I have a certain allowance that I have for each and every month--and I insert this certain amount of money into my paypal account and then I'm free to use it up for the month (I virtually buy nothing else except for hairtoys... sometimes affordable [...often plastic] jewelry and nail polishes).

If I don't use it up during the month, I put in as much money so that it adds up to my certain allowance again for the next month. I think this works out quite well and it makes me think thrice before I buy something!

However, if I ever need more support, or some opinions about a purchase, I will stop by here immediately. :) The safe haven!

Kina
February 10th, 2015, 08:59 AM
There is a little devil on my shoulder telling me to buy all the toys. Last week she was telling me to get a Ficarre. The little angel on my other shoulder is telling me no, I need the money for other things, but shoulder devils cheat, you see, and beat up shoulder angels, tie them up with duct tape and lock them in the basement when you're not paying attention because you're drunk.

omg, I think your shoulder angels trained my shoulder angels

:rollin:

Majorane
February 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM
First I read this...
I want a nice collection like the cool kids have.
....and I was all like :applause, but then you said
when you're not paying attention because you're drunk.
.....:hooched: and I felt more like those two.

And, my hairtoy will probably get lost in the mail. I did get a hairtoy lost in the mail for 3 weeks!! due to an incorrect zip code somehow got put into the tracking number. The seller admitted that she did not check the post office receipt to make sure they put the correct zip code on the tracking slip. And the company was still going to charge me for it or replace it for me and charge me half price! Who does business like this?This mistake was totally their fault, so what right did they have to ding me on their mistake???? Anyways, just ranting here, but everytime we press that "purchase" green button on Etsy, then we are taking a risk that we are at the seller's mercy to get the item to us unless we insure the item and also track it. The seller got really nasty with me when it was lost in the mail. And this item cost $140!!!
What! Who was that? I have an idea, but I don't want to start gossiping. Tell us! (Yeah I know it's not very common here to talk negatively about hairtoy makers, especially high end ones, but I'd like to get ALL the info not just the good....)

Okay, I'm thankful for this thread this morning. I woke up, thought of all the things I have to do that I don't want to , clicked on LHC to distract myself and saw this thread first! Yay! Reading it has settled me down.

Thanks for bearing with me about not looking at destashing photos. I felt kind of mean asking darling Quasi not to show photos of her lovely things. But I know I would want them all. I know a lot of people ask opinions about what to destash over on wear all my hair toys. also there could be a new thread, lots of people would like that.
I don't want to destash personally, I just don't want to buy more (except for the one lotus and the one Kiev gift shop ). I need the money, that is, I would rather do other things with the money right now. I would also rather do other things with my time than staring at hair toys and putting them in and taking them out of my online shopping carts, and then if I buy them, clicking on the delivery status 3 times per hour. It's a tremendous time waster for me personally.

I came on here to grow long hair, which can't be bought, not to buy ALL the hair toys. Or even one of every hair toy. For goodness sake, I have got curly hair. It actually stays up by itself! If I make a crown braid and tuck the ends in, it will stay up. A chopstick or pencil holds it up. It's fun to have hairtoys but they aren't actually a necessity of my life. They are fun but I do have a few to play around with.

If I were really good, I would cut it off cold turkey, but I do want those two things. I'm just afraid I'll think of just two more when I've got them. Looking at all the lotus ficcares when they come out is going to be terrible. Oh, my.
Don't feel mean. This thread is to enable us to be unenabled, and you were very polite in your phrasing, at least I think you were. This whole board is a huge enabling mineield, and it's nice to not have to feel guilty about an outrageous purchase. But let us claim this corner to keep the enabling at bay! Nothing wrong with that.

I have trouble too with the toys because growing takes so much time. Hair is fun but growing is boring, hairtoys are a great way to feel happy about fun hair, that's why like them. But I have enough.

Oh, and as for exceptions, I have things too that are exceptions and that I am allowed to buy. Like my Hacksaw© monthly toy, that is my treat to myself. So what if you have a fic and a Kiev? Do you want me to point out the negative in the lotus ficcarae? Also when are they to be released? They aren't a threat to me, so I can ask. I don't like them very much.

StellaKatherine
February 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM
The thing I noticed is, that the more I see some particular thing- the less I want it. Like I might fall in love with a hair stick and think that I will buy it for sure from my nect paycheck... I keep on visiting and looking at it and then suddenly I want it less and less... So if I want not to WANT then I look more ;)

My collection is small:
2 Jeter forks ( 2 and 4 prong)
2 Ficcares
2 Lady Idun
2 pairs of Ead sticks
1 60 street 2 prong fork
1 TT
1 Schnitzstube 4 prong fork

and I allready honestly feel that I DO have what to wear :D Other things are more of wanting than needing ;)

I do have a soft spot for books... I honestly use too much of money on my books and on ribbons lately hehe

Swan Maiden
February 10th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Ok I am hauling myself up on this wagon. There are hairtoys in my collection I dont even wear and I am buying new ones. I need to stick with the mentality of out with something old/unused before I bring a new one in my life. I also feel guilty, this money could be added to the monthly deposit into my childs college fund. My last purchase was a leather hair slide. No more Etsy for me.

Upside Down
February 10th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I think it depends per person and per toy, but a cooling down period is certainly a good idea? I myself usually try to wait a week, or a few days, but let's face it that is a bit on the short side. On the other hand I have been mooning over the combs for ...since august, and I have only bought a batch twice, so *swells up with pride* I am doing not too bad!

You did such a good job not buying them since August, and keep up the good work! ;)

I don't need to put a stop to my hairtoy addiction, I need to not start. It's like smoking or crack, quitting is hard, it's easier just not to start in the first place. But I can still count all my toys on my fingers, and that includes the Eads I never wear because they're too long or too short, and ooo, shiny, I need one of these, and one of those, and okay, I don't really need them because I can just wear my Quattros all the time everywhere, but they are pretty and I want them. I want a nice collection like the cool kids have.

Heh I hope you are not saying alcohol isn't allowed on this thread. Cause, that's too much.

What if our shoulder angels were to unite and beat up the little devils together, then can we drink?

And, my hairtoy will probably get lost in the mail. I did get a hairtoy lost in the mail for 3 weeks!! due to an incorrect zip code somehow got put into the tracking number. The seller admitted that she did not check the post office receipt to make sure they put the correct zip code on the tracking slip. And the company was still going to charge me for it or replace it for me and charge me half price! Who does business like this?This mistake was totally their fault, so what right did they have to ding me on their mistake???? Anyways, just ranting here, but everytime we press that "purchase" green button on Etsy, then we are taking a risk that we are at the seller's mercy to get the item to us unless we insure the item and also track it. The seller got really nasty with me when it was lost in the mail. And this item cost $140!!! Wow! Anyways, the item finally arrived and I was luckily able to resell it since it was overpriced and really not worth it.

I am so sorry this happened. The seller should have compensated somehow.
But you do make a good point. Plant the seeds of doubt, plant em everywhere!!:lol:

The thing I noticed is, that the more I see some particular thing- the less I want it. Like I might fall in love with a hair stick and think that I will buy it for sure from my nect paycheck... I keep on visiting and looking at it and then suddenly I want it less and less... So if I want not to WANT then I look more ;)

My collection is small:
2 Jeter forks ( 2 and 4 prong)
2 Ficcares
2 Lady Idun
2 pairs of Ead sticks
1 60 street 2 prong fork
1 TT
1 Schnitzstube 4 prong fork

and I allready honestly feel that I DO have what to wear :D Other things are more of wanting than needing ;)

I do have a soft spot for books... I honestly use too much of money on my books and on ribbons lately hehe

I wish it was like this for me, but more I look at something, the more I want it.

And, Quasi, if you are still reading this thread, I know you had absolutely good intentions so please do not feel bad. We are just so easily enabled and your collection is ohmygodsoamazingicantbelieve it (yes, I lurk on the woht thread.. :couch: )

Robot Ninja
February 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Heh I hope you are not saying alcohol isn't allowed on this thread. Cause, that's too much.
More like, I'm not allowed to drink and etsy. See, it takes 6-8 business days to transfer money to Paypal from a Canadian bank account. BUT my bank just issued me a Visa debit card. It works on Paypal. So my mandatory cooling-off period is gone.

What if our shoulder angels were to unite and beat up the little devils together, then can we drink?

Hmm, an army of shoulder angels with flaming swords smiting all the shoulder devils that tell us to buy more toys....but the swords would have to be flaming so we won't be tempted to put them in our hair.

Clarkie
February 10th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I usually have pieces sticking out also and eventually by the end of the day it would need redoing but lately I've been using a satin scrunchie and making a ponytail first. Then wrap that around the base then putting the stick or fork through . You end up with a more secure bun and less of that frizzy halo look.
The satin scrunchie shows up in places in the bun and looks pretty too. Of course I match up the colours- scrunchies to hairtoy colours etc.
I get these pretty scrunchies at the DOLLAR store.

Pictures or it didn't happen. Please....pretty please....this sounds so pretty, I wanna see!!

lapushka
February 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM
As long as I have my fair share of aluminum 2-prong forks, I'm happy.

LongCurlyTress
February 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen. Please....pretty please....this sounds so pretty, I wanna see!!

Yes hennalonghair... me too want to see!:):popcorn:

As long as I have my fair share of aluminum 2-prong forks, I'm happy.

You are so cute lapushka... ;):lala:

Alaska98
February 10th, 2015, 06:34 PM
OK, I'm officially unjoining this thread lol. (so, um, Majorane you're free to help me find that antique one :eyebrows: ) I feel like I have a lot of things, but mostly I have a lot of flexis. Which I share with 2 daughters. And I've been known to buy something and immediately "lend" it to someone. And by lend I mean I gift it, but they claim borrowed status, so it's still mine on a technicality, I guess. Lol I'll rejoin once I find the handful of unicorn type items I've been after.

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to stay on. Photos just came out for the ficcare lotus collection and they are so pretty. Fortunately, not for sale yet.

Majorane
February 11th, 2015, 12:01 AM
OK, I'm officially unjoining this thread lol. (so, um, Majorane you're free to help me find that antique one :eyebrows: ) I feel like I have a lot of things, but mostly I have a lot of flexis. Which I share with 2 daughters. And I've been known to buy something and immediately "lend" it to someone. And by lend I mean I gift it, but they claim borrowed status, so it's still mine on a technicality, I guess. Lol I'll rejoin once I find the handful of unicorn type items I've been after.
*sigh* Sad to see you go.... You know the door is always open, right? :)

I'm trying to stay on. Photos just came out for the ficcare lotus collection and they are so pretty. Fortunately, not for sale yet. But you were allowed one lotus, right? So, why the fear? You gave yourself one freecard for a ficcare. So you are still doing great! You'll get that opal one, love it and cherish it for a month or two, and if you by then feel like you really NEED another one you have by then been in time out for a while and are allowed another free card! And fortunately the lotusses are being made again so it's not going to be nearly as hard to get them as it is now. Even if, when spring is in full swing, your favourite flavour for a second one is out of stock it will be restocked somewhere along the road and you can wait in happy anticipation for when it comes. So, you are still doing great AND soon you will get your opal lotus you gave yourself a free pass for!

:) See? Not hard at all.

Also, I have just made a nice swap I think, but technically that is ...not a buy right? So I am allowed? I hope so. I think the occasional swap is allowed. Due to enabling reasons I'll not share details, of course.

Upside Down
February 11th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Swaps should be ok, they don't drain the wallet but let you have some fun :)

More like, I'm not allowed to drink and etsy. See, it takes 6-8 business days to transfer money to Paypal from a Canadian bank account. BUT my bank just issued me a Visa debit card. It works on Paypal. So my mandatory cooling-off period is gone.

Hmm, an army of shoulder angels with flaming swords smiting all the shoulder devils that tell us to buy more toys....but the swords would have to be flaming so we won't be tempted to put them in our hair.

And the devils had regular swords so we unarmed them pretty quickly and are now sporting cool hair weaponry ;)

minaa
February 11th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Okay, I am officially joining this thread. I've bought my last TT for a while, with the exception of something very specific I'm looking for from them :) (flared TT sticks w/ special inlays or intricate wood grain).

If I buy any big fancy purchases in the next 6 months that are hair related that do not fit within my exception listed above, you have permission to PM me with a resounding, "NO." or publicly ridicule me in this thread.

Swaps don't count.

One or two purchases around $30 don't count.

And... go.

Clarkie
February 11th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Sign me up! I have more than enough. There are a few items I haven't even worn yet.
The ONLY thing I would consider purchasing is my unicorn. An Elymwold fork. Lucky for me and my wallet his items seem to be constantly reserved.

LongCurlyTress
February 11th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Okay, I am officially joining this thread. I've bought my last TT for a while, with the exception of something very specific I'm looking for from them :) (flared TT sticks w/ special inlays or intricate wood grain).

If I buy any big fancy purchases in the next 6 months that are hair related that do not fit within my exception listed above, you have permission to PM me with a resounding, "NO." or publicly ridicule me in this thread.

Swaps don't count.

One or two purchases around $30 don't count.

And... go.

Minaa- you are cracking me up!! Good luck my friend! YOu are so cute..............but but but... ;)

ooglipoo
February 11th, 2015, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't think swaps would count, at least to me they won't, but I rarely have anything to swap, unless it is in the PIF thread.

With the exception of a really spiffy LadyIdun, I can't think of much that I would consider to be a unicorn for me. And I'm not even sure what a really spiffy LI even consists of, for me.

CrazyGrace
February 11th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I counted up my sticks for the spring swap thread and was somewhat surprised. In the last 6ish months, I have acquired 10 single sticks and 3 pairs (the 11th has been around for a while). Oh crud, I just realized that I missed one. Anyrate, I'm going to sort of hang out on the back of the wagon where I can jump off easily because I do still need a few things, but I'm not exactly sure what I want. However, I am going to set a two week minimum rule between finding and purchasing and I'll come by and ask you you guys if I need to be talked down.

My usual strategy to avoid impulse purchases is to convert the dollar amount into hours of work. If I'm still on the fence, I'll imagine myself doing one of the less pleasant parts of my job for that amount of time. If I really think I'm willing to be miserable for that long in exchange for the item, I'll give it a couple of days and then buy it. I almost never make a purchase the same day I find it. Oh, and don't forget to deduct the tax rate from your hourly wage.

Oh, and swaps don't count.

Upside Down
February 12th, 2015, 02:23 AM
minaa, Clarkie, welcome!

Upside Down
February 12th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I counted up my sticks for the spring swap thread and was somewhat surprised. In the last 6ish months, I have acquired 10 single sticks and 3 pairs (the 11th has been around for a while). Oh crud, I just realized that I missed one. Anyrate, I'm going to sort of hang out on the back of the wagon where I can jump off easily because I do still need a few things, but I'm not exactly sure what I want. However, I am going to set a two week minimum rule between finding and purchasing and I'll come by and ask you you guys if I need to be talked down.

My usual strategy to avoid impulse purchases is to convert the dollar amount into hours of work. If I'm still on the fence, I'll imagine myself doing one of the less pleasant parts of my job for that amount of time. If I really think I'm willing to be miserable for that long in exchange for the item, I'll give it a couple of days and then buy it. I almost never make a purchase the same day I find it. Oh, and don't forget to deduct the tax rate from your hourly wage.

Oh, and swaps don't count.

I like this, in bold. A lot.

Majorane
February 12th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Yeah I'm glad there's actually a lot of company here, that there are others who might buy a bit too much or just need to know there are more sad dragons that cannot buy All The Toys. It does make me feel a bit stronger when browsing Etsy, more like I usually am, looking and not buying. That used to be enough because I never even thiught I could have the nice things, and then I could but ...not all, Majo, not all the nice things!! :tongue: Seriously does help me.

Like, yesterday I saw cute and very inexpensive sticks somewhere, seriously nice! And I thought for a flash 'oh, but only x, and for a whole set, I could do that, x is not much at all'. Yeah, only it's x plus shipping ŕ €7,- or so and I don't need more silver colored crab because I already have enough and I need more gold BUT I don't even need that. Crisis averted! Because I said 'no more' and y'all know I did and y'all also do not break that 'promise' and I do not need those sticks.

What does make me sad is the prospect of an emptier mailbox. I love the excitement of small tiny packaged from eBay and Etsy in my mailbox, and there are currently two underway and one in the making and then my supply of parcels will be 'just' one per month.... and that is a first world problem but I just LOVE to get tiny parcels in the mail.

Oh, well.

Quasiquixotic
February 12th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Marjo, what if we did actuall pen pal letters instead? Like everytime you wanted to buy something you wrote me a letter with a crazy Marjo story. And I did the same, with a less crazy story, because I lack the skill. But I bet I could get better....

minaa
February 13th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I've been good for two days. No new large purchases, only a couple smaller ones that I had been planning for a while.

Come on, TT, push off making any unicorn sticks I want for a few weeks...!

ooglipoo
February 13th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I saw hair sticks for sale in the wild today, and they were really nice. There was one where the pointy end was twisted twice, and the second half was a pale white, smooth piece of bone, simply rounded at the tip. The wood looked like lacewood! It was very pretty.

And I did not buy it! I felt so proud when I stuck it back in the cup. ;)

Remember, Ladies!

If I can do it, you can do it. :rolling:

CrazyGrace
February 13th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Right now I'm trying to resist buying supplies to get started on spring swap gifts. I don't know what my giftee will like until I know who my giftee is. And, "if it doesn't work for the giftee, I'll just keep it," isn't a good rationalization.

I'm usually much better about spending money, but like Majorane said

... I never even thiught I could have the nice things, and then I could but ...not all, Majo, not all the nice things!! :tongue: Seriously does help me....

Nice things, yes; ALL of the nice things, no – it's a challenge.

Marjo, what if we did actuall pen pal letters instead? Like everytime you wanted to buy something you wrote me a letter with a crazy Marjo story. And I did the same, with a less crazy story, because I lack the skill. But I bet I could get better....
I love this plan. The only problem is that I'm a terrible writer, as evidenced by my lack of posting around here.

Upside Down
February 14th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Ok, so minaa, ooglipoo: :applause:

I will be sending my Senza Limiti stick to be modified and I really need to not buy another canoa stick (withpt the bead, they look so nice!)
The prices are much higher now and I have one already, and also it only works in disc buns which I hardly ever do since lwb is faster and doesn't fall out.
Hm it actualy feels good to write this.
Also with my friend's new German boyfriend she or he is constantly travelling to and from Germany so I don't need to save on shipping since local shipping is cheap.
And my quattro stick is coming soon (yayyyy ooglipoo!)

I think I will offer the Senza Limiti Norsi fork for trade. I didn't wear it in at least a year.

Another rule, btw, applies too most things not just hair related. If I don't use it for a year, I don't need it.

DreamSheep
February 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I'm talking to a seller about maybe a custom. And NO NO NO. I don't need it.
Please all tell me about how I don't need it.

Stormynights
February 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Years ago I had a friend that came over to my house with a huge box of her clothes. She was giving me all of her clothes because she was sick of wearing them. I asked her what she was going to wear and she said she didn't know. I went to my closet and filled her box with my clothes. About three months went by and she came back with my clothes and we swapped back. I was happy to get my things back and so was she. That was so much fun.

I have seen some things sold with regret so many times here. Temporary trades would be a lot of fun, but the possibility of things going wrong is a strong concern also. Just throwing the idea out there.

Cania
February 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I caved and bought a new toy... it is a unicorn for me, though.

As penance I think I am going to sell two of my Ficcare. Old collection styles.
*gasps*
That'll teach me! :P

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
**Gasp** :popcorn:

minaa
February 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I was good today. I sold the fifth toy of my collection that I don't use, and I did *not* buy from the Ravenscroft new moon stock, as much as they are gorgeous.

Day 3. :P

CrazyGrace
February 14th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I'm talking to a seller about maybe a custom. And NO NO NO. I don't need it.
Please all tell me about how I don't need it.
You don't need it.

Years ago I had a friend that came over to my house with a huge box of her clothes. She was giving me all of her clothes because she was sick of wearing them. I asked her what she was going to wear and she said she didn't know. I went to my closet and filled her box with my clothes. About three months went by and she came back with my clothes and we swapped back. I was happy to get my things back and so was she. That was so much fun.

I have seen some things sold with regret so many times here. Temporary trades would be a lot of fun, but the possibility of things going wrong is a strong concern also. Just throwing the idea out there.
I love this idea. I need to find someone local who wears my size and would be willing. It is also a great idea for hairtoys. I could try things out, and so could another person. If I don't miss mine while it's gone, I can trade it out more permanently. And if I really hate to give the borrowed one back, then I know I'll love it and use it, and can justify looking for my own.

minaa
February 14th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Trade-outs would have to be under some strong rules I think and really good communication, for me to be comfortable participating, because of the money loss potential involved.

If I were to run it... people who have been here a long time, higher post counts, who are active, with decent feedback scores, who have been met in person or verifiable in some way way, minimal/no forum drama (or drama explained by: someone else was causing a fuss over something you did that was innocuous), etc.

I'd be open to doing it but I'd probably want to orchestrate a [decently strict] vetting process.

Each item would have to be close to exact fair trade, or at the very least, sentimental value to $$ value.

We also would have to make sure it's not against any forum rules, and make sure mods were involved with the process (i.e. an item not being returned would be very sternly dealt with, i.e. there would have to be some proof of post office receipt w/ tracking and the like to show item loss by the third party, not by the traders. Also, if an item is liked but not returned to the original owner who only agreed to a short-term trade, the person in question is banned).

Mail would need to be insured w/ tracking. Antiques would have to be avoided.

It'd be complex, but doable. :)

But it might be a lot of potential extra work for the mods. If I was a mod, I'd probably be more open to taking on the challenge, but that's not something that's been offered to me, etc.

Quasiquixotic
February 14th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I think that sort of thing needs to be on a personal basis. I would do it, but I'd have to feel like I knew the person and basically be willing to lose whatever I sent out. If I'm not willing to lose it, I wouldn't send it.

Cania
February 14th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Maybe it would be a good idea to have a well established 'middle man'? X and Y send their halves of the swaps to A, who sends them to the other half, then they are sent back through A again? Complicates things I suppose.

minaa
February 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Yeah... I think it would be something we'd have to work up toward if we were to do it, if that makes sense. It's requiring a lot of work from one or two individuals in order for it to work out. This is one of the few drawbacks of being an international forum :P People from everywhere, not many to do these local swaps with!

squirrrel
February 14th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I think I'm coming to stay here for a bit... Spent all the money I have for hair toys for the next few weeks... When I get paid again, I'm also limiting self to maybe a few flexi's in sizes that I'll use regularly (still working that one out), as they seem to be a pretty flexible hairtoy in terms of what you can do with them... I have a stick and a couple of forks, but I prefer things like crown braids to buns... Also have numerous sparkly hairpins for that kind of hairstyle (and spin pins if I do want a bun). Beyond that I'm definitely in time out!

ETA... Dreamsheep ​step away from the customs... You don't need them!

Rushli
February 17th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I am officially in, though I have a few exceptions.
1. I have 3 custom orders in the works that will happen over the next few months.
2. Any LI on my watch list.

This will give me around 4 months budget come fall to either get some tusks or try some new vendors. Hopefully that will keep me motivated. I just need to forget every other hair toy out there in the mean time.

rags
February 17th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I'm watching this thread, but not officially joining in. My medical bills at the moment are curtailing my spending all by themselves, anyway! LOL. I'm trying to enjoy what I have, but I won't join because there are too many things i WOULD go off the rules for - mostly Ficcares. Well, and maybe tusks. Or mermaids. Or Ketylos when he reopens Or Mun Ebony 60th Street. Or...........well, you see the problem!! LOL. I've actually only made two purchases since Christmas i think, so not too bad!

As far as a swap, I'd only do that on a personal basis. And the mods have long said the swapping/selling is at your own risk here. They don't get involved.

Upside Down
February 17th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Hum hum, my last purchase has been made, now I wait for stuff to arrive. I was so excited that I forgot to ask the seller to mark the package as a gift.. so I may get hit by customs fees, that will really put me off haurtoy purchases for a while.
And one more thing I will do is send the Senza Limiti for modification these days.

I am not buying anything until 1st April.

truepeacenik
February 17th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Ok, ok. I'm in.
I've a package on the way, and that needs to be it for a good while.

I want to go from the cycle of not buying-binge-not buying.
I'm thinking a limit of four new in a year, and one in one out for any additional tools/ornaments, or sales to build budget. (Exception, ties. My hair eats them, I have to make new ones)

I'm not waiting on anyone to open a custom list, or anything.
My weakness is color.
But I have my big three covered in spades: blue, green, purple.
And as someone said above, I don't need.
Now to repeat that.

Now, tips.
Is there a way to put your buyer account on vacation?
Or set a limit in PayPal?

Rushli
February 18th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I'm watching this thread, but not officially joining in. My medical bills at the moment are curtailing my spending all by themselves, anyway! LOL. I'm trying to enjoy what I have, but I won't join because there are too many things i WOULD go off the rules for - mostly Ficcares. Well, and maybe tusks. Or mermaids. Or Ketylos when he reopens Or Mun Ebony 60th Street. Or...........well, you see the problem!! LOL. I've actually only made two purchases since Christmas i think, so not too bad!

As far as a swap, I'd only do that on a personal basis. And the mods have long said the swapping/selling is at your own risk here. They don't get involved.

shoot. I forgot about the new lotus ficcares coming out. :brickwall ok, I have to add to my exception list...

1. I have 3 custom orders in the works that will happen over the next few months.
2. Any LI on my watch list. (funded by selling toys, once that is gone, I have to stop looking!)
3. 2 lotus ficcares

truepeacenik, great idea about avoiding the not buying, bingeing and then not buying trend! I have a monthly budget that I make myself stick to. I just send the amount to my account monthly and though I do have it set up as a credit account and could go over, it effects next month so then I would have to limit myself then. My issue is that I get sucked into buying a few smaller toys for the joy of 'look at all my goodies' instead of saving. Plus, I love trying new makers. You never know what is going to work for you. Then you need to try several of their products because every shape holds different. By making myself stop spending, it gives me a chance to save up for the bigger toys. After that, I can go ahead and try some new makers again.

chen bao jun
February 18th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I was supposed to be not buying hairtoys (except for a ficcare lotus when they come out, and a kiev gift shop) but I went to a local discount store and bought two barrettes for me and one for a friend because they were 99 cents and on sale...Actually it was one barrette and two pairs of hair decorated hair scroos..
On the other hand, I haven't bought the kiev gift shop fork yet. It seems expensive compared to 99cents though I really want it.

Avis
February 18th, 2015, 07:03 PM
chen bao jun, I never thought about 99 cent hair things when it came to being in time out....*contemplates trip to the Dollar Store*

Of course I wouldn't go and get thirty things..probably just some cute claw clips. A girl can never have too many good claw clips right? :ponder:

chen bao jun
February 18th, 2015, 08:02 PM
they did have some cute claw clips at the $ store. But I went somewhere else--they were actually 86 cents a piece on sale. I can't resist a sale...they were quite high quality.

sourgrl
February 19th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Alrighty. I'm committing to a time out. The only exception I'm giving myself is resin TTs, the perfect red paua TT, and a medium silver lotus or primavera Ficcare.

While I'm always tempted by TTs my currently family is well covered so breaking my time out will require applying my one in/one out rule. Easy enough, not! I'm sorely tempted by the new lotus' that are coming but I keep telling myself I would get more use out of a basic silver clip so I should hold out for one. My biggest temptation will come from everyones action shots, which I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Nebulae
February 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM
The only way I could distance myself from the temptation of buying more hair toys was simply to stay away from the forums for a while... I bought so many toys in a short timeframe so I just had to stop and take a break. Now I come back to find a nice support thread, hopefully I can keep myself from spending so much on new toys I don't actually need. :) There are still a few things that I really really want, but I will try to stick to concentrating on them when it comes to new additions plus appreciate the things I already have! In fact, I will go and count my current collection right now and be happy with the things I've got. :D

Caraid♫
February 19th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Lent started yesterday- I thought it might be a good excuse to "give up new hairtoys" since I've been thinking I would take a break for a while. But of course I recently made a couple purchases anyways, so maybe I just need a formal/official "40-day" timeframe to help me out here :)
My collection isn't out-of-this world crazy huge, but I am a student after all! I just need to keep an eye on my spending vs saving habits.
I have one fork on it's way, might take a while to get here since it's coming from the Ukraine! but after that, that's it for a while.
I love stalking the swap board even if I'm not buying, it's just so much fun, but I'd probably better keep away for a bit!

sourgrl
February 19th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Nebulae, I completely understand. There are a couple threads I avoid because I don't want/need to fall in love with something else :). My wish list is fairly short. Reminding myself money spent on an impulse buy takes away from money that could go towards a wish list toy helps keep my spending in check... most times :p

earthybee
February 19th, 2015, 09:32 AM
I put my self in time out about a month ago. The only thing I plan to buy is a few new lotus when they come out. Otherwise I'm using and loving what I already have. :wannabe:

Nebulae
February 19th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Oops, I had more than I thought I had! :p I did sort out three things that will join my "stand by pile" for destashing.. so not counting them, I have 45 in total. Definitely enough! I think 50 is a good limit, and counting in my wishlist items pretty much gets me there.. so I'm officially in time out mode! (My wishlist being the exception..)

While I was at it, I sorted out my top favorites, which was tough but actually fun. So if for some reason I absolutely had to part with most of my collection, there are ten toys I would hang on to! Oh wait, make that eleven, forgot my at-home-no-need-to-worry-about-what's-in-my-hair-Ead-acrylic :lol:

chen bao jun
February 19th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Yes, I have thought sometimes that being away from forum totally might be necessary, at least for awhile, wewill see.
Yes it's lent that might help, hardly seems in the spirit of lent to be spending in self indulgent way.
Again we will see.
its been snow here so can't hang out at $ store and have avoided ebay for a couple days. Again, it's not that toys are a problem per se and it's not the p r ices, it's that I am avoiding issues and things I need to do but don't want t o by concentration on this. Also, I have money but it would be better spent else where. I could afford a fewof the more expensive hair toys before I run dry of money, but I really want some furniture. It's like I can have a couple cabinets and a table I want OR all the lotus collection coming out, --or 9 or 10 more lady iduns. But not all of the above Without damaging long term important goals and things like sons college tuition and possible retirement (before we are 100 years old). And I have 10 lady iduns and 14 ficcares. But no cabinets of the sort I need at the moment .

It's all choices.

But if I don't think and plan I go for short term and long term won't happen

The only way I could distance myself from the temptation of buying more hair toys was simply to stay away from the forums for a while... I bought so many toys in a short timeframe so I just had to stop and take a break. Now I come back to find a nice support thread, hopefully I can keep myself from spending so much on new toys I don't actually need. :) There are still a few things that I really really want, but I will try to stick to concentrating on them when it comes to new additions plus appreciate the things I already have! In fact, I will go and count my current collection right now and be happy with the things I've got. :D

chen bao jun
February 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Went to nearby city, upscale area, to go to yoga class with a friend. We had on sloppy clothes, sneakers and mine are good, but not prestige, I had on sloppy coat and was carrying good handbag, the sort I like, very functional, it's an older Coach leather without the big logos coach does nowadays to make it obvious it's theirs.

We walked around and got cold so we stepped into the only open store. Not to buy but to get warm. One of those places where body guard at door lets you in. Handbags and some shoes and designer jewelry. Mostly handbags. The looks we got! From shop people and other customers. Like they couldn't decide whether to throw us out at once or just laugh at us hysterically. ( they were kind of visibly snickering). I'm thick skinned so pretended I didn't notice all the body language and walked around and looked at the handbags until toes and fingers got warm.

Chanel, Vuitton, not the logo,but the leather, Jimmy Choo shoes and so on. The kind of shop where they put one single handbag on a shelf with lights focused on it, like it's in a shrine, to my surprise they did have price tags as this kind of shop usually doesn't.

The thing is, as I walked around in my New Balance sneakers and looked at their $1500 and up handbags (the shoes were only $600 - $700)) and they snickered (they seemed to find my earmuffs especially amusing ) I kept thinking, I could so easily buy one of their handbags. Not two, that would be a strain. But one, and then just pay off the credit card at the end of the month. No biggie.

Of course then I definitely couldn't get the furniture I want, nor could I visit my mother this spring, I'd have to wait until summer. But I could get one of their handbags. And at home I have coats and clothes they would definitely not laugh at. Though that is not why I have it. I like the quality and how long it lasts.

And I have resources they could probably only wish they had, all of them were young, their hair weaves were obvious though expensive, their clothes the latest designers but they wore them in that self conscious way people have when they are not used to it, the way they spoke was not comfortable either, like good grammar wasn't natural. I dont look down on anybody for their grammar, I'm foreign and my relatives that are very intelligent often don't have good grammar and I only speak English so well from being put in sppech therapy when i emigrated. But not looking down on doesn't mean you don't notice.

And I have resources from YEARS of planning and doing without and from my parents doing same and passing it on that I hope they have some day (but a new Louis Vuitton every year and hair weaves every 3 months means they probably won't. You don't get anything long term like that unless you started out with a trust fund, and the people I know with trust funds are low key and do not do designers.). So me and my friend looked around and when we got warm, we left.

It was an interesting experience and reminded me about being sensible with money.

Besides the old coach handbag, which they didn't recognize for one, and anyway to people like that, having a coach doesn't mean you like coach, it just means you can't afford a Louis yet, I happened to be wearing a ficcare that would go for several $100s on ebay, though I didn't pay that for it. And my own hair that grows out of my head, not getting damaged by wearing a hat (though my ears were warm with my maybe tacky ear muffs I looked long and hard to find), is longer than their hair weaves.

But of course they didn't notice either -the ficcare or the hair.

Upside Down
February 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM
That's interesting, chen bao jun. I never went into such a store, but all I think about those prices is I would never pay tht much for a bag/shoes, it doesn't matter how much I have. I just don't see the value in it. Eh.

However, I got such looks from for instance beauty/makeup shops. I don't bleach and blowdry hair and wear full makeup in the middle of the day (soo many women here do ...) and my style is somewhat alternative when I am not coming from work. Also, I don't get enthusiastic about those products, I only buy what I need. I also do my own makeup and prefere not to take their advice.
Anyhow, the looks. If I have the time, I love to make such sales people bring out and show gazillion products and answer another gazillion questions before shrugging and walking out. Just for fun ;)

As for stuff. I don't feel good surrounded with too much. So it is the same with hairtoys - I don't want to have a lot of anything. I realize that I could have much more than I do, but prefere to put money on the side, and maybe not go back to work as soon as my maternity ends. Or travel. It is time that is precious, not stuff.

chen bao jun
February 19th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Yes, upside down, time is precious. Especially with a baby. I was incredibly blessed to a SAHM for ten years of my kids' life and after that to work only part time and I feel so blessed and lucky that I had that time wi t h them, now that the oldest is 30 and I am basically an empty nester, with even the baby in college. I remember when the oldest left, I cried for months and could not believe I had no more chance todo so many things I had wanted to. The time was just so short. Even though, while I was home , like all SAHM s, I spent a lot of time being frustrated and annoyed with no time for myself and the with the disrespect that can happen because you supposedly are lazy and doing nothing. I was so mad at myself for every minute I had spent being ungrateful for the privilege of being home with them. A privilege so many women don't get, although of course some make a choice to work and still take care of their kids very well.

Upside Down
February 20th, 2015, 04:57 AM
So true. If we could live (not just survive) off one paycheck, I wouldn't think twice. I do not want to be away from my son for 8-9 hours a day.. :(
However, that is soooo difficult here. But I am lucky, we get 11 months off after the baby is born, and during pregnancy if you wish. Still, not nearly enough!

And back on the topic, another good thing about being in toy time out is that I want to make some myself!

Majorane
February 20th, 2015, 06:24 AM
I was supposed to be not buying hairtoys (except for a ficcare lotus when they come out, and a kiev gift shop) but I went to a local discount store and bought two barrettes for me and one for a friend because they were 99 cents and on sale...Actually it was one barrette and two pairs of hair decorated hair scroos..
On the other hand, I haven't bought the kiev gift shop fork yet. It seems expensive compared to 99cents though I really want it.
Okay, well, I know this does not make sense, but personally I wouldn't really count a cheap claw clip or something like that as breaking the challenge. ....I did buy two barrette like clips last week, for only 1 euro for the two, because I wanted to mod them maybe. Did not even think to consider tht was a breaking of the rules of the time out. I just considered it as cheap craft supplies.... Hmm.

So true. If we could live (not just survive) off one paycheck, I wouldn't think twice. I do not want to be away from my son for 8-9 hours a day.. :(
However, that is soooo difficult here. But I am lucky, we get 11 months off after the baby is born, and during pregnancy if you wish. Still, not nearly enough!
11 months? Ooooh how marvellous! Over here it's 16 weeks tops, and it depends on when you delivered, sometimes it's a week or two less I believe. And then you are allowed to tap off milk on the clock but only until your child is 6 months, after that it's only allwoed if your boss thinks it's okay and it counts as time off. I think in general that we aren't really on top of thinkge when it comes to moms and childcare here in the Netherlands. Childcare is Really Expensive, a lot of workplaces are not flexible at all for young parents, especially not for guys (if my significant other was to request to work less days because he wanted to be a dad, his boss would definately snicker, because surely as the mom shouldn't I..... ridiculous). And also, our pay is not bad but we couldn't raise a family on just one paycheck, unless we started to live VERY frugal (only plain boring vegs, second hand clothing, no visits to a petting zoo or real zoo, and no vet visits for the furbabsies). It's actually one of the reasons why I'm in limbo about trying for a kid. I am envious about people that have the privilege to stay at home or work only 2 days a week, to raise the kids and fix the housethings. In that regard, time indeed is so much more valuable than materialistic things.
I'm glad I started to ask for others for support in not-buying stuff. I find it less hard to just say NO now that it's out in the open I am in time-out, and I put it out of my mind that I can buy things. They are just not available any more to me and that's that. I don't even get into trouble when I look at Etsy or other threads because I just flipped the nobuy switch. I hope it stays that way. I find that the more I buy, the harder it gets to resist buying things. And the less I buy, the easier it becomes to not-buy stuff.

But let's be fair I try not to pass the shop with the antique combs and it's giant 50% off signs. And I should STOP buying crap and tiny presents for everyone around me. My best friend just gave birth, and I bought her some expensive chocolate and a halloween outfit for the peanut. She scolded me because I had already bought her expensive cookies, a cool eco wooden toy, two kid books, three other outfits, a portable baby bath and extra shoes and also found a mountain of amost new second hand clothes and stuffed animals at various (clean) places. *sigh* that's gonna be the next hurdle, not buying things for everyone. No wonder I'm always broke.

chen bao jun
February 20th, 2015, 06:45 AM
We lived very frugally so I could stay home with the kids. To the point where when we paid the mortgage we couldn't afford food with that pay check or anything else. we got 2 paychecks a month and had to make one paycheck do everything. So I shopped with coupons, baked my own everything, no new furniture ever, good will for clothes, drove same car 18 years. vacations only to family, etc. It was worth it. But I am glad to be in another stage of life now, maybe that's why I enjoy being able to afford hair toys. I didn't buy anything last couple of days, probably because I have been molding ficcares. I may make flexis next with stuff I already have around the house.

Upside Down
February 20th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Chen, it all comes down to choices, and I have some to make in a few months..

Majorane, that pisses me off. That concept, give birth but go back to work in two weeks. Two weeks?!?! I was unable to sit and was moving around topless at two weeks. But, do breastfeed!!! At least for a year, UNICEF says that is the minimum. And, you know, early bonding is crutial.
But, at the same time work work work. Rrrrgh grrr. Ok, that is a whole different topic.

I realize I am VERY lucky to get 11 months.

chen bao jun
February 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Off topic, but it bothers me. the lack of support for mothering and the way its made difficult for women to care for their kids. thread jack over.

minaa
February 20th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I am being good, still. I have a few things in the mail still, but the transactions were all placed last week. So. :p I'm hoping for a unicorn LadyIdun to show up as I happen to log in, but I am not holding my breath. TT is still a week or two out from doing the kind of sticks I adore, so... safe from those unicorn sticks, too!

LongCurlyTress
February 20th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Off topic, but it bothers me. the lack of support for mothering and the way its made difficult for women to care for their kids. thread jack over.

Definitely agree with you chen bao jun! Thread jacking support completed. ;)

CrazyGrace
February 21st, 2015, 01:07 AM
Ack, help me! There are so many things to drool over on the swap board right now, and I want them. Some are seriously marked down! But, I've just discovered that I made a banking error, overdrafted my account, and can't afford to pay off my car until next month. So I really shouldn't be spending money on hair things.

But I really, really, really want these.

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 02:40 AM
double post

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 02:41 AM
Hey, CrazyGrace, I've seen the swapboard, those things aren't all that pretty. What would be the one item you want most? Show me.
And will you still want them in a week, or two? Try and see. Maybe even the prices will reduce further, in a week or two. If they sell, it was not meant to be, you know.
In the meanwhile take a ride in the car, see, imagine potentially losing that, what then? Is there a convenient bus to get you around, and imagine all the tangles you'd get on a bus. Cars are pretty hair friendly...

:silly:

hennalonghair
February 21st, 2015, 03:42 AM
Two weeks maternity leave? What? Here in canada we have a full year and it can be taken or split by either parent. In other words the mother can take 6 months off to recoup and look after the child and then the father can take another 6 months off also with pay. For a while it was frowned on for a man to take time off for his child but things have taken a major turn for the best here and I think it's awesome.

As far as the hairtoys go, it is difficult seeing all the pretty things but there is far far more joy in making hair toys or swapping hair toys than buying them. We are a one income family since I am a stay at home mom for two spoiled rotten dogs .... :lol: and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I just always ask myself if it is a 'want' or a 'need' when it comes to purchases.
Sometimes that desire to continuously want something is just a cover up for something else going on. Many people who aren't content with their lives will just keep buying things thinking that the next thing they purchase will make them real happy but unfortunately it's just a temporary fix. Its kind of like going on a diet. At first it is extremely difficult because change isn't easy. We get used to having things the same but after a while it becomes easier and easier and before we know it we have lost all the weight and feel great about ourselves.
We live in a society that emphasizes that MORE is better. Of course it's just propaganda in order for you to spend spend spend.
Guilt and fear are often used in order to sell us things we just don't need.
We are perfectly fine just the way we are and living life with LESS is better and actually a refreshing change , plus it's so much less stressful. Less is best ! Minimizing our wants just lets us focus more on the things we need and many of those needs are totally free. Take a walk! Read a book! Phone a friend! Simple joys in life are often the best and so overlooked at times.
Does that new hair toy REALLY make us feel THAT much better about ourselves?:shrug:
If it does then there's probably something else going on that's just not getting addressed.

missblueeyes
February 21st, 2015, 04:03 AM
Guys, guys, I think you all read that wrong.

Okay, well, I know this does not make sense, but personally I wouldn't really count a cheap claw clip or something like that as breaking the challenge. ....I did buy two barrette like clips last week, for only 1 euro for the two, because I wanted to mod them maybe. Did not even think to consider tht was a breaking of the rules of the time out. I just considered it as cheap craft supplies.... Hmm.

11 months? Ooooh how marvellous! Over here it's 16 weeks tops, and it depends on when you delivered, sometimes it's a week or two less I believe. And then you are allowed to tap off milk on the clock but only until your child is 6 months, after that it's only allwoed if your boss thinks it's okay and it counts as time off. I think in general that we aren't really on top of thinkge when it comes to moms and childcare here in the Netherlands. Childcare is Really Expensive, a lot of workplaces are not flexible at all for young parents, especially not for guys (if my significant other was to request to work less days because he wanted to be a dad, his boss would definately snicker, because surely as the mom shouldn't I..... ridiculous). And also, our pay is not bad but we couldn't raise a family on just one paycheck, unless we started to live VERY frugal (only plain boring vegs, second hand clothing, no visits to a petting zoo or real zoo, and no vet visits for the furbabsies). It's actually one of the reasons why I'm in limbo about trying for a kid. I am envious about people that have the privilege to stay at home or work only 2 days a week, to raise the kids and fix the housethings. In that regard, time indeed is so much more valuable than materialistic things.
I'm glad I started to ask for others for support in not-buying stuff. I find it less hard to just say NO now that it's out in the open I am in time-out, and I put it out of my mind that I can buy things. They are just not available any more to me and that's that. I don't even get into trouble when I look at Etsy or other threads because I just flipped the nobuy switch. I hope it stays that way. I find that the more I buy, the harder it gets to resist buying things. And the less I buy, the easier it becomes to not-buy stuff.

But let's be fair I try not to pass the shop with the antique combs and it's giant 50% off signs. And I should STOP buying crap and tiny presents for everyone around me. My best friend just gave birth, and I bought her some expensive chocolate and a halloween outfit for the peanut. She scolded me because I had already bought her expensive cookies, a cool eco wooden toy, two kid books, three other outfits, a portable baby bath and extra shoes and also found a mountain of amost new second hand clothes and stuffed animals at various (clean) places. *sigh* that's gonna be the next hurdle, not buying things for everyone. No wonder I'm always broke.

Means, about 14 weeks of maternity leave, not two. It's still not very long but I don't think any first world country expects a mother to go back to work two weeks after giving birth.

hennalonghair
February 21st, 2015, 04:24 AM

Means, about 14 weeks of maternity leave, not two. It's still not very long but I don't think any first world country expects a mother to go back to work two weeks after giving birth.two weeks seemed outrageously riduculous to me.
Gosh. Thanks for clearing that up cause I was like ; WHUT????:justy:

sapphire-o
February 21st, 2015, 06:43 AM
I thought I should join this. I have so many hairtoys already. But then I checked my records and realized I only bought one stick in the last 3 months, but sold 3. So I'm good for now. :D It's much easier to resist temptations when you limit storage space.

Majorane
February 21st, 2015, 07:58 AM

Means, about 14 weeks of maternity leave, not two. It's still not very long but I don't think any first world country expects a mother to go back to work two weeks after giving birth.
Aaaah! Yes! I just came back and read it all and was like 'wait, no, it's not THAT bad!!' And I know that 14-18 weeks off is a luxury compared to some countries, and I don't wanna sound too whiny about it. But after those 18 weeks your child is still tiny and to have to work fulltime again and miss a lot of your child (because they usually sleep when you're home in the evening) must suck. On the other hand we all have a roof over our head and food on the table so what am I complaining about? And Chen, my hat off to you for living so frugally for 10 years to be able to stay home with your little ones. I'll be honest and admit, I don't think I could live that frugally because I get terrible anxiety if I think we cannot make ends meet at the end of the month. ....which of course you must have had, too, but, just thinking about it makes my bowels rumble in fear, it's that bad.

And CrazyGracce, STAY away from the swap board! Go on, what's on there that you now think you cannot live without? I don't think the items on are THAT amazing, but your car surely is right?
Use Sapphire-O as inspiration, one in three out! Or, no in no out. :)

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 08:11 AM
16 weeks is still ridiculously little. I would rather not go on about this, it is a shame to hijack this nice safe corner for us who are not buying stuff.
Here's a map showing paid maternity leave around the world, just cause it is interesting.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/17/opinion/17coontz2-map/17coontz2-map-popup.png

CrazyGrace is not answering, she'd better not be shopping :hatchet:

Stormynights
February 21st, 2015, 08:54 AM
As a child I never got Christmas or birthday gifts. Well one Christmas gift that I didn't get to keep. When I was a young adult I had my children to think of. I wanted them to have everything I missed out on. Now I just love getting packages in the mail especially lovely things for my hair. I have more than I need because I hardly ever even leave my house. I may not even get properly dressed but I love fixing my hair with pretty things. I can't buy a lot of expensive hair toys, but I may never put myself in time out. My collection isn't huge and never will be. My change the bead sticks stops me from buying topped sticks. Maybe I need add a prong forks or something.

CrazyGrace
February 21st, 2015, 11:54 AM
Okay, I slept on it.

One of the things is something that I already have something similar on the way from Pay It Forward, and if I still want it, I can probably get one later or maybe even make it myself. The other is much more difficult to make, the prices are usually up in my that'll-never-happen range, I've wanted one for some time, and it really is discounted.

I'm not in danger of losing the car. I've been making double payment for some time, and it is just over a double payment away from being paid off. I've also got a credit on my credit card at the moment that is very nearly enough to cover the price of the thing I will buy, so very little will actually have to come out of my checking account.

I'm buying it. And then I am officially on time-out. I will not make another purchase for at least 6 weeks. That will mean no yay-I've-paid-off-the-car celebratory purchases.

Upside Down
February 21st, 2015, 01:44 PM
Hope we helped at least a little? ;) you bought one instead of two so we're good for something here?

Avis
February 21st, 2015, 02:47 PM
New Jeters listed...

I will not buy one.
I will not buy one.
I will not buy one.
I will not buy one.

:meditate:

battles
February 21st, 2015, 08:01 PM
I'm on time out. I've bought two pairs of hairsticks within the past week and my hair is chin length. :doh: No more toys until I'm at a length I can use them at.

chen bao jun
February 21st, 2015, 09:29 PM
I wonder if there are a few of us who go crazy because of old... stuff.

My personal is (was) just that I could never wear hairtoys because they all broke. I'm black, so this was huge, all the little black girls had heads full of pretty little braids decorated with jingling colorful toys, or at least two or three braids or twists with pretty colorful toys on the top and bottom. But my hair broke EVERYTHING. (including combs and brushes and later blowdryers, but that's another story).

then I was a young woman in the 70's and 80's and women of all races wore hairtoys, slides and barrettes and combs and banana cilps, etc. But my hair ate it all. I could never control my hair with anything or decorate it with anything except ribbons, the odd flower tucked behind my ears, and of course, when they came out, scrunchies. And I could never do any of it. I'm not complaining because people always said I had beautiful hair and admired that it was thick (except hairdressers). But I wanted to be decorated!!!

so... fast forward to 2012 and discovering LHC and the ficcare clip! Beautiful and classy and actually, at first, too big for me!! Flexi 8's!! I still can't fit the mega and probably never will. It's TOO BIG! Sticks of all kinds!!!! Hair toy heaven!!!

I still have a feeling of amazement when I put a hairtoy in and it looks nice and fits and does not break, and I have 55 years of NO HAIR TOYS to make up for. I just love to see them displayed on my dresser, I love to take photos of them and look at the photos, its like, they all fit and they're all MINE.

I can explain it, but I can't stop it.

rags
February 21st, 2015, 09:41 PM

Sorry to perpetuate the hijack, but I am in the US and my daughter just lost her job because all her company offered her for maternity leave was exactly two weeks. They have under 50 employees, so don't have to follow the discrimination laws. She ended up having to go off work early with pre-eclampsia, and have a c-section due to it. They still only offered two weeks. :rolleyes:

missblueeyes
February 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Sorry to perpetuate the hijack, but I am in the US and my daughter just lost her job because all her company offered her for maternity leave was exactly two weeks. They have under 50 employees, so don't have to follow the discrimination laws. She ended up having to go off work early with pre-eclampsia, and have a c-section due to it. They still only offered two weeks. :rolleyes:

Why does this not surprise me....
I'm really sorry that happened to your daughter! I think no one should expect a woman to work two weeks after giving birth.
Anyway, I think I might join you in timeout soon. I've been shopping way too much lately.

Upside Down
February 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM

That is just... :angry: *beeeeeep*
USA is among the countries with the worst conditions regarding maternity leave.

Anyhow, I really do like HLH's stuff, luckily sticks are too long for me (and I am in time out :lol: )

ooglipoo
February 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM
So, I got a migraine and took good medicine Then I slept. In the morning, when I woke bleary-eyed, I remembered this kind of ethereal neat thing I had dreamed about... but the more I woke up, the more I realized that I hadn't dreamed this neat thing, that I had really been only part-way awake, and that I had gone shopping. And I bought the really neat thing. Checked my etsy purchases, and sure enough... neat thing acquired!!! OOOPS.

So, I came here to fess up and explain. Really, it was like sleep eating on Ambien. Or drunk dialing, or something...

Whoops... :p

Quasiquixotic
February 22nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
i want to see the intoxicated shopping acquisition!!

maybe PM so as not to enable...

Rushli
February 22nd, 2015, 05:20 PM

That stinks! Our guy tried to make 2 weeks sound normal. I went with 6 weeks even though I ended up having a c/s and could have asked for 8. (I needed to get back to run our book fair and was feeling great) With #2 and #3 I was a SAHM so I got 3 days off ;) Once out of the hospital, my job started! haha. But seriously, it was great getting to stay home.

QMacrocarpa
February 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM
Something I've done occasionally (and Lent would be a good time) is stop wearing some of my hair-toys, just stash them away for a month or so. Then when I put them back in rotation I enjoy the rediscovered variety.

Sometimes I've limited myself to one start-of-year hair-toy order (this year I considered it, but didn't place the order).

Avis
February 22nd, 2015, 11:56 PM
I went to Target today, and did NOT buy conditioner, a BBB, or any new clips or barrettes. I think I may have to buy something for myself once I finish up my senior recital. I mean I've been working hard for this (almost a full year) and a $20-40 limit for a new toy wouldn't be a big set back, right? :hmm:

This whole maternity leave thing sure does bum me out. Knowing how expensive it is to have children almost makes me want to not have any.

Upside Down
February 23rd, 2015, 02:34 AM
:rollin: ooglipoo, I'll have some of what you're smokin!

hennalonghair
February 23rd, 2015, 04:41 AM
Sorry to perpetuate the hijack, but I am in the US and my daughter just lost her job because all her company offered her for maternity leave was exactly two weeks. They have under 50 employees, so don't have to follow the discrimination laws. She ended up having to go off work early with pre-eclampsia, and have a c-section due to it. They still only offered two weeks. :rolleyes:two weeks after giving birth is disgusting. I'm just so shocked that people in the U.S. dont get any paid maternity leave at all. :shrug:
It's crazy

So, I got a migraine and took good medicine Then I slept. In the morning, when I woke bleary-eyed, I remembered this kind of ethereal neat thing I had dreamed about... but the more I woke up, the more I realized that I hadn't dreamed this neat thing, that I had really been only part-way awake, and that I had gone shopping. And I bought the really neat thing. Checked my etsy purchases, and sure enough... neat thing acquired!!! OOOPS.

So, I came here to fess up and explain. Really, it was like sleep eating on Ambien. Or drunk dialing, or something...

Whoops... :pDontcha just hate when that happens? :bounce:

:rollin: ooglipoo, I'll have some of what you're smokin!:lol: me too!:wink:

Kitten1030
February 23rd, 2015, 06:35 AM
It's ok ooglipoo, I've had packages show up at my door and only hazily remember hitting that purchase button. At least it is only a hairtoy. My neighbor bought a car from Florida off Ebay when he was drunk. We live in New England. Anyway, I've been meaning to join this thread but in true addict form I was all "just this one last thing" I think I have 4 one last things on my way to me. Ok, that's it I'm done. Help me be strong and accountable.

Kina
February 23rd, 2015, 06:50 AM

Whoops... :p

I have done this, but without the medication thing. The whole "insomniac who can't tell whether she's awake or asleep". My clue was 1. money inexplicably missing and/or (yes, it's been more than once) 2. surprise package in the mail...

two_wheels
February 24th, 2015, 04:32 PM
*closes eyes*
I'm in.
For a month.
I have enough.

Quasiquixotic
February 24th, 2015, 05:23 PM
*closes eyes*
I'm in.
For a month.
I have enough.

:applause:

missblueeyes
February 25th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I'm in. Forever. No really, I'm not joking. I don't use hairtoys so I shouldn't buy them. Yet, I have a TT sitting at the post office. What the heck is my problem. :brickwall

Upside Down
February 25th, 2015, 01:33 AM
It's ok ooglipoo, I've had packages show up at my door and only hazily remember hitting that purchase button. At least it is only a hairtoy. My neighbor bought a car from Florida off Ebay when he was drunk. We live in New England. Anyway, I've been meaning to join this thread but in true addict form I was all "just this one last thing" I think I have 4 one last things on my way to me. Ok, that's it I'm done. Help me be strong and accountable.

I have done this, but without the medication thing. The whole "insomniac who can't tell whether she's awake or asleep". My clue was 1. money inexplicably missing and/or (yes, it's been more than once) 2. surprise package in the mail...

Man, my life is boring! :rollin:

*closes eyes*
I'm in.
For a month.
I have enough.

I'm in. Forever. No really, I'm not joking. I don't use hairtoys so I shouldn't buy them. Yet, I have a TT sitting at the post office. What the heck is my problem. :brickwall

Welcome! :chocolate::coffee::cookie:

sourgrl
February 25th, 2015, 02:19 PM
There's a pretty purple paua sitting in the TT shop. It's on my wish list but not my personal approved time-out exception list. **sigh**. It's purple... And pretty... And still sitting there... Calling to me.

And I'm out of things to purge/sell. Ugh :p

ooglipoo
February 25th, 2015, 03:50 PM
It'll be okay, Sourgrl. Someone soon will snatch it up and you won't have to worry. It does sound lovely, though.

two_wheels
February 25th, 2015, 03:55 PM
It's really long. That's all I've got. :lol:

sourgrl
February 25th, 2015, 06:52 PM
My TT addiction is bad. I don't bother checking the length any more... and I don't 'notice' the price until it's in my cart and I'm selecting my payment option :silly:

It's really long. That's all I've got. :lol:

Thanks Oogliepoo :). The pretty is now on reserve. I forget about the reserve option; not sure if that's good or bad ;)

rags
February 25th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I've done the same as Ooglipoo - on medication also. I've also done the insomniac on meds thing - that one REALLY surprised me because I didn't remember it! At all! I just got an e-mail that I was getting a package. Oops! LOL

I am not officially joining this challenge but I'm walking along beside the wagon. I'm trying to be better about acquiring things, but I'm not resolved enough yet to commit fully to not buying. So I'm going to read here and try to gain willpower by osmosis. :p

Vanilla
February 25th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I have a similar thing about breaking hair toys when I was younger as Chen. I loved all of the super delicate stuff, and my hair always broke it if it was longer than shoulder length. For me, it was a combination of slippery, thick and long hair that broke every barrette and comb of my youth.

Once I found LHC, I acquired my first hair fork, then sticks and then flexi-8's. Once I figured out how to use everything, there was almost no stopping the addiction. I really need to scale back on all of my discretionary spending this year, and a hair toy diet for a bit seems like a good thing.

CrazyGrace
February 25th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Hope we helped at least a little? ;) you bought one instead of two so we're good for something here?

You did help. I wanted to buy half the board. Thank you

Upside Down
February 26th, 2015, 02:15 AM
^ yay!

I've done the same as Ooglipoo - on medication also. I've also done the insomniac on meds thing - that one REALLY surprised me because I didn't remember it! At all! I just got an e-mail that I was getting a package. Oops! LOL

I am not officially joining this challenge but I'm walking along beside the wagon. I'm trying to be better about acquiring things, but I'm not resolved enough yet to commit fully to not buying. So I'm going to read here and try to gain willpower by osmosis. :p

Don't worry. We can start with osmosis and soon work our way to active transport, and phagocytosis. In no time you'll be one of us! ;)

PS that purple stick is 7 inches, huuuuge. And imo maple wood is too pale against the paua, it washes it out.

-Fern
February 28th, 2015, 10:57 AM
*ahem*
I'm a relatively new LHC'er, so in the last month I went from having one cheap plastic fake-ficcare to... *counts on her fingers* SEVEN fancy new hairtoys on the way. So now I'm in time out for at least TWO MONTHS--a mossy TT is the only exception I can make. Solemnly swear.

(Dear Future Self: That means the answer is "NO" until May 1!) :patrol:

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2015, 11:08 AM
I am sooo off the wagon. Bought 7 new ficcare ficarrisimos, did sell 4 and give one away, but I have got two more toys and not even sorry... bad me....

missblueeyes
March 3rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
I am sooo off the wagon. Bought 7 new ficcare ficarrisimos, did sell 4 and give one away, but I have got two more toys and not even sorry... bad me....

I bought a hairstick just the other day, too. I think you definitely shouldn't feel bad about it, especially as you did sell / get rid of some. :) I would definitely be bummed out if I missed out on something even though I could afford it at that time just because I'm in time out.

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
Oh, missblueeyes, you're an enabler! These were ficcares that were never released to the public, sure I will never see them again. Back on the wagon, now...

two_wheels
March 3rd, 2015, 01:23 PM
I think an exception is warranted in those circumstances, Chen. I know if I saw a primavera or a glittery anything at original prices, I'd except myself too!

Forgive me, hairfriends, for I have sinned. I have bought two hairsticks. I thought this challenge would be easy because I hadn't bought anything for 2 weeks already. I was wrong.
(they are beauteous. And I have offered one of my current ones to another member.)

missblueeyes
March 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Oh, missblueeyes, you're an enabler! These were ficcares that were never released to the public, sure I will never see them again. Back on the wagon, now...

Whoops. :X Sorry.
I'm still in timeout for another week minimum. I know I called 'forever' but did I really mean it? Hardly. I'd have to stay off the board completely to make that happen.

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
Don't be sorry missblueeyes. I was joking. I appreciate your remarks, and yours too two_wheels

Upside Down
March 3rd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Lol, is anybody else still fasting, or am I alone? :lol:

I am too stubborn to break the challenge. Sorry, Quattro.

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2015, 03:14 PM
UPside down, I am hopeful back on the wagon.

I still intend to buy that kievgiftshop fork, though. That's an exception.

While I'm fessing up though, I did buy a couple of those telephone cord wire looking hair elastics.
http://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Transparent-Ponytail-Holders-ASSORTEDCOLOR/dp/B00NXM48U0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425420725&sr=8-5&keywords=telephone+wire+hair+band

haven't tried them yet. They were not as cheap as this, unfortunately... I paid $4.99 for two in a gift shop

ooglipoo
March 3rd, 2015, 03:33 PM
Some how, Chen, those seem... too utilitarian to count.

... and, I haven't bought anything since dream me bought the Furnival! :P

chen bao jun
March 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Ooglipoo the furnival sounds lovely.

Apparently, the consensus on here is that cheapie hair toys don't count?

I f ind though that I can spend enough on cheapies to run out of money for nice thngs. You know, 1.99 here, 4.99 here, before you know it, you've spent $30 and could have a nice jeterfork instead of a lot of odds and ends that clutter up the place and that you may not actually wear much (which is the case with most of my hair toys, cheap or expensive, I just don't wear anything much because there's too much...)

sourgrl
March 3rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
I'm holding strong but for my 'exceptions' (resins!) Avoiding brand specific threads helps... Though I miss everyone's action shots. Congrats on your new ficcares Chen!

-Fern
March 3rd, 2015, 07:05 PM
Lol, is anybody else still fasting, or am I alone? :lol:

I am too stubborn to break the challenge. Sorry, Quattro.

I'm here, and even still behaving! Haha, but luckily my "discretionary spending" account that's linked to my etsy account is pretty much empty, so that helps significantly... :disco:

Even though my hair ate my pretty wood-flower fakkare... bottom clip snapped right in half. Managed to keep the top half in one piece, so maybe I can re-deploy it as a barrette eventually...

Upside Down
March 4th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Chen, as it goes for me, hubby and I loose a pack of simple elastics in a week so we have to keep replacing them. Although it is better now that I started cutting pieces of stocking to tie braids off.

And, Fern, that is just sad about the clip. :(

sourgrl, good to know I am not alone :lol:

And unrelated, hubby killed my favourite earrings. I am debating whether to ask for another pair or a quattro. Am I insane? I probably am. Earrings were favourite for a reason. :(

Also, I really can't believe that I can not go two months without hairtoy purchases. Blah. It feels like quitting smoking. Just one more won't really make a difference...only it will.

Cania
March 4th, 2015, 02:30 AM
The lotus collection is in next week apparently. A "collection" is like a "set", right?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/03/03c372ad9f274800058fdff5941c7542d8dfb2e29fde12ca14 aa510386a84b90.jpg

missblueeyes
March 4th, 2015, 05:08 AM
The lotus collection is in next week apparently. A "collection" is like a "set", right?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/03/03c372ad9f274800058fdff5941c7542d8dfb2e29fde12ca14 aa510386a84b90.jpg

Ahahahahaha! :lol: Love that one.
Well, now I know what I'll treat myself for my birthday with. Now, which one do I really _need_.....

sourgrl
March 4th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Upside Down you're not insane. You're a rational thinking hair toy addict. Me likey ;)

Cania that is perfect! I'm going to try to stick to my guns and hold out for a basic silver clip. We'll see how long that lasts!

Robot Ninja
March 4th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Is it cheating to put myself on the ONN waiting list? I mean, it'll be months before I can actually order, right?

ooglipoo
March 4th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't consider that cheating, Robot Ninja. Not at all. Your point that it will be months and months is valid!

Upside Down
March 4th, 2015, 06:52 AM
You know, this is slowly turning into an enabling thread. Not very nice :whip:

sourgtl, don't enable me. Whip me into obediance.
Ok, that sounds wrong. :lol: But, you get my point.

Missyblueeyes, and other Ficcare addicts: you don't need any of the lotuses. It is a new collection, so they will be around for a while, right? Let it sleep a few nights before raping that purchase button. You will probably end up with more from all the excitement, and then regret.
Btw lotuses are over rated anyway. Ficcare is creating this hype about releasing them for a while. They are doing this so you all get excited and end up shopping more than you would. Stick it to the Man, resist!

Robot Ninja, well... Actually I have nothing, that is ok, you will be out of your time out by the time you purchase.

missblueeyes
March 4th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Upside Down, I'm by no means a ficcare addict. ;) In fact, I don't even have one. I'll only get the one I really want and that'll be it, I suppose.

chen bao jun
March 4th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks upside down.
I still need the ficcare lotus but it was a great reminder .

rags
March 4th, 2015, 09:41 AM
You know, this is slowly turning into an enabling thread. Not very nice :whip:

You do realize that even the "hair toy addicts" thread was originally started as a "time-out" thread, right? LOL. I've yet to see one of these threads NOT turn into an enabling thread (at least partially) eventually. :p And I've been on hair forums for years.

And that is the main reason I stay OUT of this thread. I don't want to enable others. And I would, it's been proven. :p

sourgrl
March 4th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Sorry Upside Down. I'm not meaning to encourage bad behavior. Just reassuring you that you're not insane :flower:

Upside Down
March 4th, 2015, 12:04 PM
You do realize that even the "hair toy addicts" thread was originally started as a "time-out" thread, right? LOL. I've yet to see one of these threads NOT turn into an enabling thread (at least partially) eventually. :p And I've been on hair forums for years.

And that is the main reason I stay OUT of this thread. I don't want to enable others. And I would, it's been proven. :p

See but it doesn't have to be, not with all other enabling threads on this forum ;) I get it, though. Women and shiny things. Me included.
However, as long as I am here and you come saying you want a toy, I will tell you you don't want it ;)

Sorry Upside Down. I'm not meaning to encourage bad behavior. Just reassuring you that you're not insane :flower:

I was kidding 'bout the whipping, don't worry ;) :blossom:

PS don't want anybody to think I am against enabling. I too, as all females of our species, am drawn to shiny objects.
And I am not in time out forever. Just for a while, and I will help others as I see fit - by telling you your wished for toys suck ;)... with loths of hugs, kittens pooping rainbows and chocolate cookies to ease the pain!

TrapperCreekD
March 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM
*tentatively pokes head in* Hi guys!

Maybe I'll walk beside the wagon? I don't have a huge stash toys... *mentally tallies*... just 15, but I feel like I should put myself in a time-out because I'm a broke farm hand and need to be saving my money for more important things, not splurging on pretty things to hold up my hair.

I'll have some extra money coming in around the first of June and I'll reward myself with some pretties, but until then I'll admire from afar... :popcorn: :whip:

Upside Down
March 4th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Hello, you are at the right place. We have cookies, coffee, kittens, rainbows ..... and paaaaain, lots of pain here.
But it's all good! You don't need more hairstuff! :meditate:

-Fern
March 4th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Hello, you are at the right place. We have cookies, coffee, kittens, rainbows ..... and paaaaain, lots of pain here.

Ahahaha, that's perfect! :rolling:

rags
March 4th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Hi TrapperCreekD! :waving: I'm walking beside the wagon too! (I'd probably fall off too much if I jumped up there. :p ).

Someone tell me I don't need another Ficcare. (I really, really, really DON"T. I have a huge collection of them. But I don't have THIS one.........). Sigh.

CrazyGrace
March 5th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Hi Rags, you have a pretty good collection of ficcare; even though you don't have this exact one, you don't need it. Anything it would go well with, you likely already have three options for.

Avis
March 7th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Doing well, I talked myself out of buying a Jeter. $30 is half my water/sewer bill. Must save. :twocents:

chen bao jun
March 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the water sewer, you would miss that.

I'm doing horrible. First, I bought those ficarrisimos. Then I saw the lotus is coming back like next weeK. In spite of having bought 2 ficcis, I find I want a lot more than one lotuS. I have not bought them yet but I want.

The only thing I've done right is not buying kiev gift shop fork yet.

I just need support to not buy all the lotus.
What's worse is I forgot my code and can't get into my online banking where I put my money to save, not spend. I even seem to have forgot my security question answers so can't change the code

EdG
March 8th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I recently reached a crossover point: I now own more hair sticks than computers. ;)

At least the hair sticks take up less space. :lol:
Ed

sourgrl
March 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
There is an unreserved Elymwold sitting in the shop... And I'm in time out. Reminding myself I really don't wear forks... And this particular fork is too long... But it's soooo pretty. *sigh*

chen bao jun
March 8th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Well, that was a good way to handle it. Mention it on here and poof! it's gone. Unless of course, you bought it. I mean, the unreserved Elymwold, which has now vanished....

sourgrl
March 9th, 2015, 01:24 AM
I was good; it wasn't me :)

ooglipoo
March 9th, 2015, 07:01 AM
I went to the city yesterday, a city with an Ulta. I've been wanting to get a couple flamingo clips from there. But I was strong in the face of hair toy adversity. I didn't even change lanes to get to the mall, I just stayed over on the other side of the road and tried to make it nearly impossible to get over without breaking some traffic laws. :rolling:

sourgrl
March 9th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Ficcare has released the lotus'... and I am resisting... resisting...

missblueeyes
March 9th, 2015, 07:53 AM

Jesus, don't tell me that! D: I'm holding out to see whether it'd be cheaper to order locally or on the actual website but damn... they ARE expensive.

Robot Ninja
March 9th, 2015, 08:28 AM

And the black one is on gold. Thank you Ficcare, for not tempting me.

Ferryl
March 9th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Ugh, I've been so strong in abstaining from buying more hairtoys. Ficcare finally broke my resistance. Now I need to abstain from hairtoys for even mooore months so that my hairtoy account can recuperate from the damage I've inflicted. :(

Upside Down
March 9th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Really?! A faux amber lady idun on sale at the swap board. C'mon not fair :brickwall:

chen bao jun
March 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Oh, I hope to be on time out for serious soon. I got one ficcare lotus, getting an LI today and hope I get one more and that's it and then a Kievgiftshop and that's IT!!!
I was so proud not buying two ficcare lotuses. And I traded for the LI.

two_wheels
March 9th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I'm waiting for the lotuses to come out in Europe so I don't have to pay ridiculous taxes :wannabe:

And then I want to buy almost all of them :brickwall

Quasiquixotic
March 9th, 2015, 03:58 PM
:grouphug: Two_Wheels. I'm really not helpful, and I'll probably be struck by lightning for posting in this thread, but I feel your pain.

Avis
March 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I keep hearing about these Lotus Ficcares so I checked the site. WOW! Those are so beautiful! I think this is the most I've ever wanted one. Luckily for me, I'm not that great at styling and I don't think I could get one to work for me so I'm not in danger of buying any. But wow, that's some serious eye candy. :eye:

ETA: I am in serious danger of buying some Ead sticks though. $22 isn't that much right?

Avis, this is your past self. Remember that time when you were out of financial aid and you had to last two weeks with only $40? Remember the hunger. DON'T let it happen again. Keep your $22. :brickwall :meditate:

-Fern
March 9th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Avis, this is your past self. Remember that time when you were out of financial aid and you had to last two weeks with only $40? Remember the hunger. DON'T let it happen again. Keep your $22. :brickwall :meditate:

Be strong!!

Actually, I really like reading David's blog on Raptitude (http://www.raptitude.com/), and one of the things he said about money really hit home for me... There will be a finite number of dollars that I earn in my lifetime, and a finite number of dollars that I spend in my lifetime. What do I want that breakdown to look like? What purchases will I treasure and value for a long time, versus what am I buying to get a short-term "acquisition high"?

[I totally choose to interpret that as, "Save for the TT's."]

lunasea
March 9th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Okay, after Lotus Ficcare Madness this morning I am joining this thread. My plan is to stay in time-out through July. I think having a specific end date will make this doable for me. It's going to be really interesting to see if I make it. My plan is to post pics on the wear all of your hairtoys thread (cross posting them to specific threads as appropriate) in an effort to thoroughly enjoy what I have now. Plus I owe a review of a multi-topper set on the Hacksaw thread. So, I have things to keep me busy. I think I have a pretty good collection. The only thing that I might be interested in that I don't have is a tusk but I don't want to go down that road right now. I also need to figure out what I don't wear so that I can destash and reorganize. Getting toys was fun. Now it's time to get down to business for a while.....

CrazyGrace
March 10th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Really?! A faux amber lady idun on sale at the swap board. C'mon not fair :brickwall:
Will it really add anything important to your life? You don't need it.

Oh, I hope to be on time out for serious soon. I got one ficcare lotus, getting an LI today and hope I get one more and that's it and then a Kievgiftshop and that's IT!!!
I was so proud not buying two ficcare lotuses. And I traded for the LI.
Good job only buying one! I know you wanted several.

I'm waiting for the lotuses to come out in Europe so I don't have to pay ridiculous taxes :wannabe:

And then I want to buy almost all of them :brickwall
Waiting is good. Use the time to figure out which you will value most and choose.

<clip>
ETA: I am in serious danger of buying some Ead sticks though. $22 isn't that much right?

$22 isn't very much, no. However, it is probably at least four meals. So put it away and use to buy necessities; you'll be glad of it later. (Nope, not personal experience at all, not me...)

Actually, I really like reading David's blog on Raptitude (http://www.raptitude.com/), and one of the things he said about money really hit home for me... There will be a finite number of dollars that I earn in my lifetime, and a finite number of dollars that I spend in my lifetime. What do I want that breakdown to look like? What purchases will I treasure and value for a long time, versus what am I buying to get a short-term "acquisition high"?

[I totally choose to interpret that as, "Save for the TT's."]
“Save for the TT's” is a perfectly valid way to interpret it if that is what you will treasure and value.

Okay, after Lotus Ficcare Madness this morning I am joining this thread. My plan is to stay in time-out through July. I think having a specific end date will make this doable for me. It's going to be really interesting to see if I make it. My plan is to post pics on the wear all of your hairtoys thread (cross posting them to specific threads as appropriate) in an effort to thoroughly enjoy what I have now. Plus I owe a review of a multi-topper set on the Hacksaw thread. So, I have things to keep me busy. I think I have a pretty good collection. The only thing that I might be interested in that I don't have is a tusk but I don't want to go down that road right now. I also need to figure out what I don't wear so that I can destash and reorganize. Getting toys was fun. Now it's time to get down to business for a while.....
I find that a specific end date is absolutely necessary; otherwise it isn't time-out – it's just cutting back. I signed up for six weeks, of which I have three and a half left.

I am actually using the time to plan. I was buying things as they caught my eye, without any real intentions. So right now I'm thinking about what I will actually use, what items will have real value and use for me. I want to make a list of what my collection should include and then make purchases to fill it out rather than buying pretties and ending up with multiples in some areas and holes in others.

I should make another thread to do it in, then some of you could join me. I want to list out what I need, what I really like that is attainable, and the things that I will admire from afar, and then create a shopping list for the next several months. What do you think? Would this be a useful thread, or should I do it on my own?

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2015, 06:56 AM
It would be use full to me crazy grace

lunasea
March 10th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I think I actually need some kind of destash discussion thread. It's hard for me to get a good perspective on what I should keep and what I should give up. I have a couple TT sticks I've been thinking of destashing for months. And about a jillion plastic Madison-like clips that I should give up that I've painted with nail polish. In some cases I hold on to things because I think there is an off chance I might use them. In other cases, I'm not sure if I can list them on the swap board. I'd really like to reduce my collection to what I love but I kind of feel the need to discuss how to go about doing it.

Kina
March 10th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I think I actually need some kind of destash discussion thread. It's hard for me to get a good perspective on what I should keep and what I should give up. I have a couple TT sticks I've been thinking of destashing for months. And about a jillion plastic Madison-like clips that I should give up that I've painted with nail polish. In some cases I hold on to things because I think there is an off chance I might use them. In other cases, I'm not sure if I can list them on the swap board. I'd really like to reduce my collection to what I love but I kind of feel the need to discuss how to go about doing it.

Quasi started on, called "This or That" :)

lunasea
March 10th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Isn't that Quasi's thread for her own destash?

Kina
March 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM

If I remember correctly, it was open to anyone. If you are unsure, you could start a general (or specific) thread if you like.

two_wheels
March 10th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I have been a very very good girl in this challenge so far apart from Timberstones. Where I've been thoroughly bad. But you know, I haven't bought anything else! (mini cheer :cheer:)

sourgrl
March 13th, 2015, 12:10 PM
The action pics of the new lotus' are wearing down my resolve! Trying to remind myself to at least hold out until my silver work horse it-goes-with-everything arrives but it's soooo hard. Ever see that spongebob episode where Mr Crab's wish of being able to talk to money comes true and the whole time the money is begging him to spend it?

Yeah, I swear that's what my paypal money is doing right now...

Quasiquixotic
March 13th, 2015, 01:01 PM

very much no, please come use it! I love giving people my opinion :eyebrows:

-Fern
March 13th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I was tempted not once but thrice today, with absolutely stunning toys, and I totally resisted. :cheer:

ashke50
March 14th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I'm joining this thread! After the flexis I wanted (colors on parade and winter wonder) came out in the same month as the lotus ficcares I need to NOT buy anything else for a little while. And I was good, I only bought one lotus (and a pearlised enamel I'd had my eye on for a while) rather than the 5 I wanted, but thats still a lot of money on hairtoys this month.
No more hairtoys till May.

Kina
March 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
ok, after the gremlins got ahold of my paypal password last night I *need* to be in this thread. My only caveat is if the auburn superclip or large maximus becomes available.

Timeout at least until mid April (when my birthday is)

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I've been really good...on Etsy.
On the swaps board - another story.

Vanilla
March 14th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I've been really good...on Etsy.
On the swaps board - another story.

I am also having problems staying off the swap board. I need to be good this month!

missblueeyes
March 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I'm back in time-out, too. I didn't get anything hairtoy related since the Euro is dropping in value so much... I'm hoping it will rise again so I can actually afford some pretties. :) In time out until the move is done.

Avis
March 14th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I had a slip up today. I bought 3 Ead sticks. :doh:

But I'm finding a silver lining by telling myself that: 1) I haven't bought hair toys since January (and I had a gift card, so really it was November), 2) SO recently bought an accordion, so our financial situation is better than I thought, and 3) at least it was under $40 total.

But I'm back on the wagon now, promise. :wannabe:

Nebulae
March 14th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I know I didn't mention it in my first post but I made a birthday gift to myself exception.. it wasn't that expensive, I could have done worse (or do I mean better? Haha..) :lol:
To avoid this being enabling I will not talk about the toy in question since I want to be considered a responsible adult...
So I say I'm still on the wagon and doing okay!

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I know I didn't mention it in my first post but I made a birthday gift to myself exception.. it wasn't that expensive, I could have done worse (or do I mean better? Haha..) :lol:
To avoid this being enabling I will not talk about the toy in question since I want to be considered a responsible adult...
So I say I'm still on the wagon and doing okay!

the first rule of timeout thread is full disclosure*

*yeah I totally made that up and it's not my thread but I want to know

Nebulae
March 14th, 2015, 04:35 PM
the first rule of timeout thread is full disclosure*

*yeah I totally made that up and it's not my thread but I want to know

Well, responsible adults are boring anyways right?
I got a Schnitzstube cherry wood spiral stick! Couldn't help myself, I'm a sucker for spiral hair sticks.. At least I thought about it for a day, so it's not an impulse purchase. :p

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 04:35 PM
woot! Johannes has mad skills. You will love it.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I not only have fallen off the wagon, it has pulled so far out of town that I can't even see it in the distance anymore.

Nebulae
March 14th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Stop the wagon! Turn it around! We lost chen, we must pick her up!

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 04:52 PM
thanks, it is the fault of ficcare.com --but they had a little help from ONN. I haven't actually spent the money there yet--but I'm on the list for customs. Have no idea how THAT happened. Honestly. No idea.
Save me, pleaassseeee......

-Fern
March 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
thanks, it is the fault of ficcare.com --but they had a little help from ONN. I haven't actually spent the money there yet--but I'm on the list for customs. Have no idea how THAT happened. Honestly. No idea.

Actually... I have seen you posting the (beautiful) ficcares, but you should take the "wear all of my toys once" challenge. That way it will be like a little celebration of all the pretties that you already have (and everyone else will get to admire them!). Plus, hopefully it will be enough of a PIA to take a picture and post it everyday that maybe it will be a deterrent to buying more! :eyebrows:

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Hmmm that thread taught me how to take a reliable back-of-head picture very easily and then just enabled me, Fern. Although in the end, yeah, I got so tired of it that I stopped! (mostly)

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I was on the thread for a couple of days. But I can't master the art of taking back of the head photos. so I just read it. Which is very enabling. I think I had realized I want more different kinds of new hairtoys from that thread than from all the other threads combined, to be honest. Becasue I don't click on a thread unless I'm familiar with the type of toy, but on that thread, they are just allllllllll there.

Kina
March 14th, 2015, 05:46 PM
That thread is an absolutely amazing ad for all the toy makers on etsy and elsewhere...

Robot Ninja
March 14th, 2015, 06:02 PM

I think we've established that going on the ONN list doesn't count, since you won't actually be able to buy anything from him for a few months.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I think we've established that going on the ONN list doesn't count, since you won't actually be able to buy anything from him for a few months.

In theory. but he does list non customs. also, after getting on his customs list, I went over to Ead to see what he had that was similar and ended up with three sticks in the shopping basket. Haven't clicked the paypal button yet, but you know, gremlins... (the ones that know Kina...)

sourgrl
March 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Man those gremlins get around!

Robot Ninja
March 14th, 2015, 08:26 PM
In theory. but he does list non customs. also, after getting on his customs list, I went over to Ead to see what he had that was similar and ended up with three sticks in the shopping basket. Haven't clicked the paypal button yet, but you know, gremlins... (the ones that know Kina...)

Just because you're on his customs list, that doesn't mean you have to look at his shop. Everybody says he's great, I'm sure he'll message you when your turn comes up. Now step away from the shinies. Far away. No, farther than that.

Here is a little smiley dude to chase the gremlins away: :whip:

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 08:35 PM
thanks robot ninja
But how will I see his message if I don't check etsy? (day and night)

-Fern
March 14th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Just because you're on his customs list, that doesn't mean you have to look at his shop. Everybody says he's great, I'm sure he'll message you when your turn comes up. Now step away from the shinies. Far away. No, farther than that.

Here is a little smiley dude to chase the gremlins away: :whip:

:eyebrows: Thanks for the :whip:, Robot Ninja... Someone has to keep those gremlins in line!!

CrazyGrace
March 15th, 2015, 02:04 AM
I went on the <redacted> thread. Why did I go on the <redacted> thread? And then I clicked through to the <redacted> etsy store! There are gorgeous, amazing things, and the prices are within what I'm willing to pay right now, but could go up again any day. :wail:

I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. I will not buy the things. .........

Here's hoping the exchange rate is in my favor again when I have money allocated for the purpose.

Upside Down
March 15th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I have adopted a moto "if it shows up in time out - it wasn't meant to be"
So quattro I have wanted sold - it wasn't meant to be
Amber lady idun in the swap board? Wasn't meant to be
That tirquoise floral tt? Wasn't meant to be.

I know that after time out something even nicer is waiting for me.

It is now an exercise of stuborness.

Robot Ninja
March 15th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Oh phoo, Silverdawn Jewelry has extended her hiatus until April. That was a planned purchase that doesn't count against my time-out, but now I don't get to have a new shiny to look forward to for another two weeks.

You have new fakkares, self. Those are new shinies. Stop looking for more shinies.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Robot Ninja--I neeed you! (and bring the guy with the whip).
Ketylo has said he will make 3 prongs forks again.
Heeelpppp!!!!!

ooglipoo
March 15th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Ketylo is going to make three prong forks again.

MAJOR FREAKOUT OF EXCITEMENT! I MUST LEAVE THIS THREAD. A UNICORN FOR ME.

Robot Ninja
March 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Robot Ninja--I neeed you! (and bring the guy with the whip).
Ketylo has said he will make 3 prongs forks again.
Heeelpppp!!!!!

Meh. I googled them, they're okay. CM makes nicer ones. (I found it rather amusing that most of the results are from LHC.)
The guy with the whip says to get back on the wagon. :whip: And look, he brought a friend to make sure you stay on. :patrol:

Robot Ninja
March 15th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Ketylo is going to make three prong forks again.

MAJOR FREAKOUT OF EXCITEMENT! I MUST LEAVE THIS THREAD. A UNICORN FOR ME.

That's not a unicorn, somebody just covered a horse with glitter and tied a carrot to its head.

CrazyGrace
March 15th, 2015, 02:10 PM
It's a malnourished rhinoceros. They really don't look all that great.

You'll find something amazing when your time-out is complete.

TrapperCreekD
March 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM

*munches cookies* Thanks!

Ferryl
March 16th, 2015, 10:52 PM
I'm back on the wagon again. I think I'll go for a month and if after a month I'm still good, maybe continue it. I don't really need any more hairtoys. I've also been better at only checking Etsy once a week (vs a couple times a day). I shouldn't really be checking Etsy at all.. but that's another matter. The first step is admitting that Etsy has all of my fun money allowance. The second step is not giving Etsy all of my fun money allowance.

KittyBird
March 24th, 2015, 03:08 AM
I'm joining this thread to stop myself from spending all my money on flexi-8s. I could definitely afford a few more, but I have decided to not buy any until my next paycheck arrives in the middle of April. Two flexis arrived yesterday, another one is on the way, and I also recently bought a ficcare. I've definitely spent more than enough money on hairtoys this month. :o

spirals
March 24th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I not only have fallen off the wagon, it has pulled so far out of town that I can't even see it in the distance anymore.
LHC quote of the year! :rollin:

Swan Maiden
March 24th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I have been good with no hair toy purchases, lipstick on the other hand....

DreamSheep
March 24th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I have definitely failed at this. I was doing really good for a month until...

quite a few purchases happened... including TTs... and swap board purchases... Guess I'd better start choosing soon what to sell (although, I am very happy about the toys coming my way, so I think I'll be less sad about parting with some of my existing collection).

sourgrl
March 24th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Welcome Kittybird!

I'm doing pretty good... but only because I'm picky and Doug posts TTs when I have to be offline.

Next week, though, my monkeys are on spring break and the weather looks rainy for several days. That means several days cooped up with my boys, aka the bicker brothers. I may need retail hair toy therapy to survive!

-Fern
March 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM
The bad... I did some retail therapy and bought a GVW fork similar to this (https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1004590084) from the Swap Board (Thanks, Quasi! :hifive:).

The good? I think it's pretty much only long, 3-4 prong forks from here on out, which whittles down my temptations significantly. My hair just... eats sticks. All of 'em. And any kind clip. Ugh. :headache:

The double good? Now that I have a long, 4 prong fork, I don't have an excuse to buy more until May! :p

CrazyGrace
March 24th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I might be about to violate the terms of my time-out. Sigh...

I got a slightly old horn fork some time back that I ended up giving to my mother. She loves it, but it is cracking. The edges are quite rough, but she still wants to wear it. The exact same one has showed up in the etsy shop again ($7ish), and I want to buy it for her. The problems is that they have two of the things that are on my absolutely-need list for about the same price, and with international shipping, it makes more sense to buy everything together.

missblueeyes
March 25th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I did terrible in the last few weeks. Not only hairtoy-wise but also clothes-wise.... I'm in time-out until the 11th of next month.

Vanilla
March 25th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I violated my time out by getting a gorgeous maple leaf TT. Now back in time out.

TrapperCreekD
March 26th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Still going strong, the carrot at the end of the stick is really helping me. :gobblecheese: Stalk Etsy with a plan: you can have Pretty Thing A when X, not browsing etsy and ooh shiny, I must have the pretty thing.

Upside Down
March 27th, 2015, 03:09 AM
^ :lol:

My time out is almost over. What to do, what to do? Plan a budget? Limit a number of toys per month? Limit only to things I really want on the swap board?
I don't want to go all :taz: , again.

-Fern
March 27th, 2015, 04:23 PM
^ :lol:

My time out is almost over. What to do, what to do? Plan a budget? Limit a number of toys per month? Limit only to things I really want on the swap board?
I don't want to go all :taz: , again.

I will just refer you to your past self (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130212&p=2963921&viewfull=1#post2963921).

I am thinking about allowing myself one new hairtoy per quarter (every 3 months), because that gives me time to really think about what I actually need or want, and hopefully a leisurely amount of time to wait and see what pops up on the swap board during my "allowed to buy" time. :D

Also, now I stay off the Swap board and Etsy when I am in time out. I used to tell myself, "I am just looking at the pretties, won't buy..." but that wasn't working out so well. :rolling:

KittyBird
March 28th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I'm so ashamed of myself.. I broke down and bought a flexi-8. :couch: It was so pretty, and it was the last one in stock on cultmate. Styles often don't return after they've been sold out on that site, so I just couldn't wait until the middle of April before buying it. :o I'm putting myself back in the time-out until my next paycheck arrives!

ooglipoo
March 28th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm happy to report that I haven't actually bought an $85 ketylo fork. I'm just too... lazy and tired to care, I guess.

I'm okay for now. I'm only reaching for quattro and LadyIdun when it comes to sticks. forks, I only want my ReDoodle, really... :D

So, crisis averted, and I'm doing okay! Y'all will be okay, too!