PDA

View Full Version : Reverse washing?

DarleneH
February 8th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I haven't done this yet so I'm posting to FYI you all and see if you've tried this:

http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2014/09/what-is-reverse-hair-washing-and-is-it.html

"...I find that right after my shower when my hair is still wet, my hair feels almost exactly the same to the touch as when I use shampoo followed by conditioner (I attribute this to step #3 that I outlined above). But here's the crazy part: my hair looks and feels better after it dries. I don't know exactly why, but my hair consistently looks like a million bucks when I do a Reverse Wash with the TRESemme products I mentioned above, and what's even crazier is that my hair looks way better than it ever did when I used those products in the traditional way. "

LeMimi13
February 8th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I tried it. My hair didnt feel as soft, but I measured my ponytail after washing like that a week ago and it increased. My hair felt more coarse... (not sure if ita the right word. Each strand felt thicker). Its a good method, i guess..

laceyfairy
February 8th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I've done this in the past but didn't notice any real difference. On the other hand, I didn't have my conditioner in for as long as I do with cwc or wc

spidermom
February 8th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I do this in the summer when it's hot, otherwise my hair looks limp and hugs my head too much.

Carolyn
February 8th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I can't see washing off all the benefits of my conditioner.

endlessly
February 8th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I've tried this in the past and was only left with tangles as a result. I'm sorry, but my hair needs the conditioner as a last step in order to survive.

betterhairday
March 10th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I haven't done this yet so I'm posting to FYI you all and see if you've tried this:

http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2014/09/what-is-reverse-hair-washing-and-is-it.html

"...I find that right after my shower when my hair is still wet, my hair feels almost exactly the same to the touch as when I use shampoo followed by conditioner (I attribute this to step #3 that I outlined above). But here's the crazy part: my hair looks and feels better after it dries. I don't know exactly why, but my hair consistently looks like a million bucks when I do a Reverse Wash with the TRESemme products I mentioned above, and what's even crazier is that my hair looks way better than it ever did when I used those products in the traditional way. "

I've reverse washed once every six weeks. I find that is enough for my hair. I use Pro Naturals not Tresemme. Hair looks really shiny and feels very soft and "fuller".

shola-faye
March 10th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I started using a very similar method a few weeks ago but I do apply conditioner to dry hair, I then braid it. I have to rinse the conditioner out somewhat before shampooing or it wouldn't lather. I do find it helps protect my length from shampoo and allows me to shampoo my scalp without worrying about its drying effects.

leilani
March 10th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I wonder if putting the conditioner on the length and shampoo on the scalp at the same time, and then rinsing, would have a similar effect.
I just avoid conditioner since my hair is tanglefree and soft with just shampoo but I'm curious as to whether I'd be even happier incorporating conditioner in somehow.

catasa
March 11th, 2015, 02:16 AM
As the author of the blog describes, I do this sometimes, in addition to sometimes using conditioner the normal way after shampoo, and sometimes not using conditioner at all but only shampoo and then my mineral oil leave in (previously I never used conditioner, only mineral oil, but nowadays I find that my hair is happier if I use it sometimes).

I try to judge the level of moisturizing that my hair needs and choose method depending on that, sometimes I also do a protein treatment or mix some of it into my reguar conditioner for a lighter protein boost. I have to say though that I still misjudge as often as I get it right - since also the weather and humidity comes into the picture, on top of the hair monsterīs fickleness, it is not easy... :justy:

Anyway, I think revere washing can work really well both to protect the lengths from the shampoo and to add a lesser amount of moisturizing/coating than normal conditioning!

Chlorophylliac
March 11th, 2015, 06:41 AM
I guess I just did this...sorta. I tried a sorta hybrid CWC from root to tip. I was researching a similar method, but surprisingly hard to find research on - if CO works, why not try CO for the first rinse and using a shampoo for the second? Nothing, research-wise.
I put coconut oil in the length while I worked out, then coated my hair in TJ's TTT conditioner while I showered as a sort-of CO, and then used the shampoo just at the roots. My hair went crazy, in a good way - mirror shine! (You can see in my Instagram account, same screen name). But I don't see this working every time, because while my hair is baby fine, it needs more slip as it gets longer. So every other time or less maybe? I do miss that with having shorter hair, I didn't need any/much conditioner, and my hair loved me for it. No more!

Knifegill
March 11th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Probably good for coarse hair where a little dryness or build-up is not a major threat.

YvetteVarie
March 11th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I do this a lot since it saves me time, and it also prevents conditioner build up on my scalp.

betterhairday
April 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM
I wonder if putting the conditioner on the length and shampoo on the scalp at the same time, and then rinsing, would have a similar effect.
I just avoid conditioner since my hair is tanglefree and soft with just shampoo but I'm curious as to whether I'd be even happier incorporating conditioner in somehow.

We have very similar length hair. I'll give it a go and let you know, but I think I would need to try it for at least 3 shampoo/conditioner days 9 washes in total. See you in a few weeks!

mzlbcmami
April 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Interesting never heard of it. I love Co washing with my As I am coconut co wash. It's amazing. but this is something I'd love to try. :)

winship2
April 26th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I reverse washed this morning with the same S and C I usually use for a regular wash-- the Giovanni clarifying/moisturizing pair. I think the results are about on par with my usual washing method. I also think I need to clarify and then give it another try to really get a sense of how it will work for me. But just wanted to report perfectly fine initial results, definitely worth experimenting further.