PDA

View Full Version : Best Pragmatic Hairtoys for Caribbean Vacation...

DweamGoiL
February 7th, 2015, 02:51 PM
There will be 3 female longhairs traveling for 2 full weeks. Product-wise, I am taking 1 shampoo for the kids and 1 shampoo for me and 2 different consistency conditioners to alternate between us. Did I mention our textures are completely different so everyone has totally different needs? (little one has curly fine hair, the oldest kinky medium hair, and I have fine and wavy) I always pack my trusty Monoi Oil and 2 different types of gels to share.

Hairtoy-wise, I am paranoid of anything breaking in transport or being lost and there is always the space issue as well. I am thinking of taking curvy Ead's in different colors, scrunci's and elastics for braids, some plastic magic grip hairpins, and a few claw clips. What do you guys take with you when going away for extended beach time?

Caraid♫
February 7th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I'd probably bring about the same as you in terms of hair toys- acrylics for sure (I have an acrylic fork that I'm not worried about breaking or getting wet)
I would also bring lots of claw clips (I definitely don't like to wear them in real life over my other hairtoys (they just don't look as nice), but for travelling and for the beach, they are very convenient and it's not a big deal if they break or get lost), bobby pins and elastics. I'd be afraid of exposing any wood toys to the beach elements!

I once brought my whole collection with me on vacation (granted, my collection isn't huge) and it took up waaaay too much space in my luggage! Silly me, I just really love my hairtoys... :rolleyes: :D

Anje
February 7th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I'm in a Ficcare-heavy phase right now, so I'd pack a few of those or maybe a few painted fakes so I don't risk losing the real ones. My original fake (a large-sized Karina, not sure if they even make them now) has been through the ringer, lost and found on gravel roads, swimming in rivers... it's a trusty old thing!

Taenarian
February 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Our deeply practical LHC folk urged me to travel very light in my extended spring travels, and I (mostly) took heed of that advice. In six weeks travel where the nearest town of note was a 40 minute drive, I found I was good with two Ketylo sticks, and one Flexi8. I traveled with one bottle of shampoo and three bottles of conditioner. I bought one bottle of replacement condish as I approached week six.

I noticed the Nightblooming "Winter" I left out for sharing was quite popular in the cottage we shared. Rather popular.

Chromis
February 7th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I take a plain Ficcare and one wooden stick. I could probably just get away with the Ficcare though. I take a sample size shampoo bar and no liquid stuff. On vacations of two weeks and less I often just don't wash. After snorkeling I just rinsed in fresh water really well.

I travel with only carry on luggage and usually do not even fill it. So much easier!

Breanna
February 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm going on a cruise very soon and I plan to take two wooden hairsticks, a dymondwood fork, and maybe my fakkare for looking nice at dinner, and a claw clip for using in the shower and on the beach. If you're scared of your sticks breaking, you could get one of those toothbrush travel tube things and put them in it!

DweamGoiL
February 7th, 2015, 05:15 PM
...If you're scared of your sticks breaking, you could get one of those toothbrush travel tube things and put them in it!

Really good tip, Breanna!

meteor
February 7th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Yay! Caribbean vacation! How fun! :cheer:

I'd take at least one detangling comb, a few hair-ties, 3 water-proof (acrylic) hairsticks (one for each) or claw-clips. I'd definitely bring 3 wide-brimmed UPF-rated hats to protect hair (and skin!) from sun damage.

I'd also consider taking satin/silk sleep caps or silk scarves, if you already sleep on silk/satin at home.

Also, if you like oils, you could take some coconut or other oil with you (or buy locally) to oil and protect hair, since it will be exposed to salt water, pool water, UV rays, wind.... But if you take any oils, make sure to use at least a couple zip-locks to seal the bottle really well (oils tend to leak a lot on planes due to temperature and pressure changes).

I tend to bring only tiny sample bottles of shampoo/conditioner with me, or just use whatever the hotel provides. But since you are going for a whole 2 weeks with 2 other longhairs, another easy option would be to just buy shampoo/conditioners locally and using them up there.

And if you are bringing leave-in products, preferably choose the ones that provide UV protection - but this is more relevant to dyed hair, to reduce color fading from UV rays.

Have an awesome holiday, DweamGoiL! :flowers:

Avis
February 7th, 2015, 05:31 PM
If you're scared of your sticks breaking, you could get one of those toothbrush travel tube things and put them in it!

That's a good idea! And I also agree that acrylics are your best friend in damp/humid places where you could potentially get wet. Plus they're nearly indestructible.

DweamGoiL
February 7th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks, meteor! We are leaving next Wed, but will be going shopping tomorrow so I want to make sure we pick up everything we need. I hesitate to rely on shopping there since sometimes pickings are rather slim, but you never know :)

You also mentioned sleeping caps. I have never stopped to think about the fact that my oldest religiously sleeps with a sleep cap on and the little one's hair is braided nightly. I always take my dread cap with me. I find I can use it with damp hair and by the morning, it has soaked up the water to help with drying. It also doubles as a sleeping cap.

spirals
February 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I'd take elastics, magic grips or spin pins, and headbands or scarves.

DreamSheep
February 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I'd take scrunchies, elastics, claw clips and lots of sanded down chopsticks.