PDA

View Full Version : Hair in the news

Mainesongbird
February 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Recently I noticed hair has been a topic on talk shows and news programs because of this story:

[Mod note: link removed pending mod discussion regarding forced hair cutting and TOS. Neko]

What do you think of this?

I kind of think it is awful! I don't believe in shaming kids and I don't think that a haircut should be used as punishment. I think that would be scarring for a person, but that's my personal opinion...what's yours?

Colochita
February 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I saw the topic a while ago and don't feel strongly about it either way. It reminds me of the parents who give their kids 'shame signs' to hold up or 'shame T-shirts' to wear and post pictures of them on social media. I have no kids and don't have any plans to have any in the near future, but if these parents are at their wits' end, then I don't see too much harm in it. The first boy who had the cut done said he learned his lesson and found it funny at the end of the day.

I do believe punishment should be tailored to the personality of the child, though. That is to say, what works for one kid may not work for every kid.

elvenelk
February 6th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Surely this is criminal infringement of human rights?

meteor
February 6th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I don't know if it's scarring or not for the kid (each kid is different), but it certainly can be, and I wouldn't want to inflict any sort of humiliation like that on anybody, but especially a kid. I just think there are so many more respectful ways to punish a kid, if it's necessary.

I also think it's a bit strange to come up with such unusual punishments at all... Why not just make the kid fix the error(s) and apologize? After all, that's what grown-ups do, so why not teach kids that same adult approach early on? More respectful to all parties involved, and simpler, too.

elvenelk
February 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I don't know if it's scarring or not for the kid (each kid is different), but it certainly can be, and I wouldn't want to inflict any sort of humiliation like that on anybody, but especially a kid. I just think there are so many more respectful ways to punish a kid, if it's necessary.

I also think it's a bit strange to come up with such unusual punishments at all... Why not just make the kid fix the error(s) and apologize? After all, that's what grown-ups do, so why not teach kids that same adult approach early on? More respectful to all parties involved, and simpler, too.

totally agree. A child that misbehaves should be constructively taught what their actions can cause. This could potentially cause bigger issues for this kid. Children's minds are very sensitive and need to be nurtured and cared for.

luvlonghair75
February 6th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Um, yeah. Shaving a kid's head is absolutely absurd! Parents need to be constructive, not abusive in discipline acts!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM
The part that gets me is the quote at the end from one of the parents about shaming teaching kids respect... :( How sad. Surely there is a better way to teach a child respect. Like, maybe demonstrating respect for starters.

lapushka
February 7th, 2015, 08:08 AM
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact that they call this "cut" shameful. What about all those balding men. Are they supposed to feel ashamed of themselves for having hair like this. This is what makes me angry, not the "punishment".

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 7th, 2015, 10:31 AM
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact that they call this "cut" shameful. What about all those balding men. Are they supposed to feel ashamed of themselves for having hair like this. This is what makes me angry, not the "punishment".

The cut is given to children though to intentionally make them look like old men. They're children not aging men who are naturally balding. You don't see how that would be humiliating for the child? Send them to school or the playground like that and all the other kids are going to be making fun of them and calling names.... That's how kids are.

teddygirl
February 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I think its hilarious. I probably wouldn't do it, but I wouldnt judge another parent for doing it. Its better than hitting a kid IMO lol.

midnight_blue
February 7th, 2015, 02:03 PM
That's really not ok. As far as I'm concerned, if you wouldn't do it to an adult, don't do it to a child.

lapushka
February 7th, 2015, 04:13 PM
The cut is given to children though to intentionally make them look like old men. They're children not aging men who are naturally balding. You don't see how that would be humiliating for the child? Send them to school or the playground like that and all the other kids are going to be making fun of them and calling names.... That's how kids are.

The "punishment" just doesn't anger me. I'm bothered by it and I don't think it's okay, but I'm not angered by it. It's how it comes across to any man (they don't have to be old to be balding) that has this style.

yahirwaO.o
February 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I seriously think is plain stupid!!!!!!!!! :bull:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 7th, 2015, 05:29 PM
The "punishment" just doesn't anger me. I'm bothered by it and I don't think it's okay, but I'm not angered by it. It's how it comes across to any man (they don't have to be old to be balding) that has this style.

I see your point. I'm not saying you're wrong or that it isn't offensive to someone who has this style of hair.... I guess the humiliation factor for the children being "punished" just bothers me a lot more because they are children who are still developing psychologically and emotionally. :shrug: And, yes you're right it's not only old men that might be balding like that, but I believe they called it "the old man cut" in the article (IIRC, the link was taken down so I can't verify, but I think that's what it was). So the point was obviously to make the kid look like an old man.
Anyways, I think we agree that no one should be made to feel ashamed about their hair, and shaming people in general is just not nice.

lapushka
February 7th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Anyways, I think we agree that no one should be made to feel ashamed about their hair, and shaming people in general is just not nice.

Yes! :flower: