PDA

View Full Version : Bad Influences

Auntbeast
September 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
So here I sit, with my hair tied up in a bandana, oiled within an inch of its life, with my arms utterly exhausted with trying neato buns and braids and twists and such that my hair is entirely too short to do...yet. I've taken a multivitamin and am wishing I could attempt the deep waves from another thread tonight but know that my arms would completely fall off by the time I got the oil out and the fabric in. My desk is littered with a boars bristle brush, two hair sticks, some goodies bobby pins, two hair clips, an ouchless ponytail holder, a stand up mirror, a spotlight and a seamless rattail comb.

Sadly? My daughter who is 3 has hair to her waist and HATES for me to play with it. I try to explain to her "But you have mommies hair and mommy needs to figure out this braid, baby."

What I need from you...about 3 more inches of hair. Hand it over ladies, I know some of you out there have some hair to spare!

Nat242
September 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
We can be bad influences here at LHC, for sure. You have been assimilated! Welcome to the wonderful world of the longhairs!!! Mwahahahahaha!!! :twisted:

I knew I'd become assimilated the day I realised that most of the things I put on my hair came out of my pantry ;)

Don't worry, when your daughter is more patient (3 year olds can't sit still, right?) she'll let you play with her hair, I bet. Then your poor arms can have a rest!

(I practiced rope braiding on my partner, with his APL hair ;) )

Elenna
September 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Well hair becomes an obsesssion. You would not believe all of the topics that hair care generates. There is always something new to learn about hair.

Katze
September 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Funny post!

Your name is great, too. I always liked Aunt Beast, so bizarre yet wise and warm.

And your hair will grow faster than you think. Trust me. :D

Elphie
September 30th, 2008, 03:12 AM
3 year olds can't sit still, right?)

Sure they can! And that little bit of glue you use washes right out of their clothing, so don't worry!

(JK!)

Shanarana
September 30th, 2008, 03:33 AM
No escape now I'm afraid. We can be very enabling around here. One thing to remember is that doing someone else s hair is so much easier that doing your own.

Dolly
September 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I know what you mean......not so much with the updos, though. BUT, I have a cousin who talks to me on IM every morning......the last SEVERAL days I have been talking about my hair.....yesterday, she said, "I think you're obsessed." I said......"Yep. I would have to agree."

cindy58
September 30th, 2008, 05:56 AM
It's only gonna get worse -- hope you have some extra storage room at your house!

wolf girl
September 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
So here I sit, with my hair tied up in a bandana, oiled within an inch of its life, with my arms utterly exhausted with trying neato buns and braids and twists and such that my hair is entirely too short to do...yet. I've taken a multivitamin and am wishing I could attempt the deep waves from another thread tonight but know that my arms would completely fall off by the time I got the oil out and the fabric in. My desk is littered with a boars bristle brush, two hair sticks, some goodies bobby pins, two hair clips, an ouchless ponytail holder, a stand up mirror, a spotlight and a seamless rattail comb.

Congrats! It sounds like you are well on your way to being fully inducted to LHC!!! :p Wonderful, ain't? :D

FrannyG
September 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Auntbeast, you have arrived. You are surely a true LHCer. :)

Auntbeast
September 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I pried the batteries out of a kiddie toy and now have a hair pic avatar.

*sigh*

You know, I've been using this name for ages and I think more people here get the reference than anywhere else I've ever been. Come to think of it, she was a pretty hairy critter...

nisolu
September 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
This is soooo true! I'm obsessed now too! I find I'm checking the forum several times a day when I'm home. Think about it when I'm at work and I'm constantly in the bathroom looking at my hair to see if perhaps I need more coconut oil :)

heidi w.
September 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Welcome to my bathroom -- slots for clippy things, vintage paper mache ladies hold sticks, boxes of a collection of antique and vintage hair combs, files of old hair ads, (ok, I give, these aren't in the bathroom) ribbons, headbands, combs & brushes in a drawer.....extra to spare....

And I am familiar with the arms falling off feeling!

We just finished remodeling my bathroom, and for me, it's a hair dream zone. Complete and utter Girlsville. Handheld shower with 3 settings, rainhead main shower head....wide tub (jacuzzi), shelves in corners (no elbows knocking stuff over), high up hanger things, curved shower curtain bar.....and 4 places to put stuff away (complete & separate cabinet units)...all in a 5X8 zonage.

Phew!

Um, to avoid making your daughter run for the hills, try a long haired doll. Borrow one of hers, and then declare, See Mommy can make your hair look like this if you want!

heidi w.

harpgal
September 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Auntbeast, you have arrived. You are surely a true LHCer. :)
:agree: Welcome to the club, Auntbeast!

We just finished remodeling my bathroom, and for me, it's a hair dream zone. Complete and utter Girlsville. Handheld shower with 3 settings, rainhead main shower head....wide tub (jacuzzi), shelves in corners (no elbows knocking stuff over), high up hanger things, curved shower curtain bar.....and 4 places to put stuff away (complete & separate cabinet units)...all in a 5X8 zonage.Heidi, move over. I'm coming to live with you! Your bathroom sounds divine. :)

heidi w.
September 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Harpgal, 2 can fit....

I have a large master bedroom for plenty of hair fun!

Actually a whole house!

heidi w.

Shorty89
September 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Harpgal, 2 can fit....

I have a large master bedroom for plenty of hair fun!

Actually a whole house!

heidi w.

Enough room for three? :D

And yes, it sure does sound like you are a full fleged LHCer. Right now I'm getting "braiding muscles" by doing mini braids in my hair while I do reading for class.

starfire
September 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
My arms get so tired too! And I still can't do all the neat updos :(
Wanna come practice on my hair and I'll play with yours?
:D

snowbear
September 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
An appropriate tag has been added to this thread.

Auntbeast, have you thought about letting her play with your hair, in exchange? She might be more receptive if she doesn't think she's your new toy. :lol:

Speckla
September 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I would give you a few inches but my curls might look strange on your pretty straight ends! :)
________
Swiper boyz (http://twitter.com/SwiperboyzBabiM)

embee
September 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Maybe your arm muscles will become stronger? (mine did not, sadly)

Please note: the very best updo events happen when you're getting ready for a shower or for bed. They are *very* difficult to replicate in the morning before leaving the house. ;)

Katahdin
September 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about... last night I tried a whole bunch of different updos, and this morning the muscles in my arm were too sore to manage anything more than a braid!

Friesiangirl
September 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I actually avoid messing with my hair too much, because I figure that the more I obsess, the slower it appears to grow. I just do what needs to be done, and I figure I'll have time to practice when it's longer.

:D

sky
October 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM
What I need from you...about 3 more inches of hair. Hand it over ladies, I know some of you out there have some hair to spare!
:lol:...not me! I'm hanging on to every scrap!!!

I'm still waiting for my hair to feel "long". I just lost an inch to trimming away splits and the layers I began with four years ago.

Maybe another year.....will it feel "long" at 30 inches?

sky

Teazel
October 1st, 2008, 01:49 AM
...Maybe another year.....will it feel "long" at 30 inches?

The longer you hang around at LHC, the more your perception of "long" will change. :D

Shorty89
October 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
My arms get so tired too! And I still can't do all the neat updos :(
Wanna come practice on my hair and I'll play with yours?
:D Can I join in? :D I can maybe donate an inch or so too :cheese:

Maybe your arm muscles will become stronger? (mine did not, sadly)

Please note: the very best updo events happen when you're getting ready for a shower or for bed. They are *very* difficult to replicate in the morning before leaving the house. ;) Very true! I can do perfect dutch five strand braids right before I go to bed.

The longer you hang around at LHC, the more your perception of "long" will change. :D Hahaha guilty as charged here. "My hair's not that long, it's only tailbone." Yep, I've said that one.

Tressie
October 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Sure they can! And that little bit of glue you use washes right out of their clothing, so don't worry!

(JK!)
Rolling on the floor laughing!!! You are bad!!!!!!!!!

Tressie
October 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
The longer you hang around at LHC, the more your perception of "long" will change. :D
I agree Teazel! I used to think I had long hair, LOL!!! Now when I take it out of a top twisted bun, and the length is wound up, before I comb it out, it seems so short!

BTW I just LOVE your new avatar! WOWEE Super Hair!!

starfire
October 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Can I join in? :D I can maybe donate an inch or so too :cheese:

Of course, the more the merrier (and more hair!!)

nisolu
October 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM

This is so true. Since I've been here, I consider myself as having "short" hair now! Can't wait to hit tailbone :cheese:

heidi w.
October 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM
So, are we gonna start posting pix of our arm muscle development... you know bulging wrists, big biceps, toned forearms? LOL

Do we need to have an article on how to develop Long Hair muscles?

Bend at waist, 1, 2, 3.

Neck exercises.....

heidi w.

Dolly
October 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I made my first bun that stayed up!! YAY!! Thanks to the lazy bun article by Savi! I had to rip off the handle from one of my doll-painting brushes, because I had no hairsticks.....so, I just bought a ketylo.....I'm obsessed!

Lady Jane
October 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
I know I'm addicted too. *sigh* The moment of realization came when I was sitting on the couch, blithely watching LOTR and I thought "Now, Gandalf, he's an au natural kinda guy. No 'cones, organic conditioner, he might be WO . . . but Saurman he is all about the 'cones and I bet he flat irons to boot . . . "

WritingPrincess
October 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
<snort> This thread is hilarious!

Eireann
October 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I know I'm addicted too. *sigh* The moment of realization came when I was sitting on the couch, blithely watching LOTR and I thought "Now, Gandalf, he's an au natural kinda guy. No 'cones, organic conditioner, he might be WO . . . but Saurman he is all about the 'cones and I bet he flat irons to boot . . . "

Ha! Of course, when Gandalf becomes "the white" he goes for the flat-ironed look too. I guess it must be part of the initiation to the new order. They get the white robe, a new staff, and a straightening iron!!

http://www.the-mathom-house.com/images/Gandalf_the_white_in_Fangorn.jpg

snowbear
October 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
This thread is hilarious. How many hijacks have there been, now? :lol:

Teazel
October 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I agree Teazel! I used to think I had long hair, LOL!!! Now when I take it out of a top twisted bun, and the length is wound up, before I comb it out, it seems so short!

BTW I just LOVE your new avatar! WOWEE Super Hair!!

Tell me about it! I arrived here with "long" hair at waistlength, and look at me now - still with short hair at fingertip! I might consider it long when it's sweeping the floor. ;) (And thank you for the compliment! :o)

heidi w. - your post reminded me of a video by an LHCer.... can't remember who, now, but I think it was for the Celtic Knot. She bends and sways so gracefully it's like a dance with her hair. Quite a workout!

Loving the thought of Saruman lavishing 'cones and straigheners on his locks! :lol:

justgreen
October 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
BAking soda and white vinegar are underneath my vanity cabinet, next to the 1 litre bottles of Conditioner. I also have a squeeze bottle of honey in the bathroom too.

Dolly
October 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM
BAking soda and white vinegar are underneath my vanity cabinet, next to the 1 litre bottles of Conditioner. I also have a squeeze bottle of honey in the bathroom too.

I have a big bottle of white vinegar and a huge 64 oz cup in my shower....guess what those are for? They never would have been there before LHC....

Auntbeast
October 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
Just to update:

My daughter still acts like I'm pulling her hair out whenever I try to do anything, but she is fascinated with my hair sticks and kept trying to put it in my hair and her hair. She actually let me put her hair up with the sticks. She looked in the mirror, smiled and yanked it out and shook out her hair. So maybe progress is being made.

Also, her hair is 22" long, same as mine, except hers is to her butt. We've never cut the length.

Elenna
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 AM

My hair seems so short in comparison to many here at LHC. I would like my hair to be much, much longer and grow much, much faster.