PDA

View Full Version : How long until your hair goal? How long have you been growing?

looniac
February 5th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Hello All!

I don't think there is a thread out there like this yet, but if there is, I'm sorry! Mods can catch me.

This evening as I was finger combing my braid out before a shower, I was looking at my length in the mirror and thought to myself, damn, it'll probably be another 3 or 4 years before I reach my goal length. (My current goal is a hip-length braid... I currently have a braid that is just below BSL).

I have been growing out my hair from a pixie for about five years? Six? I can't remember when that chop happened, but if I'm looking at getting six inches a year, I think I'm looking at another 3 years.

So, in my pre-shower mind, I thought it might be fun to know how long other people have been growing and how much longer think they have to go, and to support one another through these times :)

Hopeful65
February 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I had between APL and BSL for years. But it was bleached, dyed, and damaged. It never really grew.

I started growing out the bleach & dye in September of '11, starting from the roots, and as of today I have decided I am at solid waist length with all new virgin hair. That's a total of 3 years and 4 months. That's with trims of 1/4" to 1/2" each month, with maybe a few months skipped on occasion. (I'd say 1/4" per month average.)

Waist length has been my goal all along, but I'm still going to let it grow with still doing my trims.
I think close to hip and I'll call it good. :)

But ya, to reach my goal, roots to tips, took 3 years and 4 months.

Five of Five
February 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM
My goal from the start was classic with blunt ends :D I have been growing for about five years from a super-short bob in early 2010, and am currently sitting at BCL with fairly blunt ends thanks to a lot of trims.

I have around 7 inches left to reach my goal, and have an actual growth rate of around 1/2 inch per month, which would put me at 14 months until classic with no trims. Sadly, due to an increased need for trims since reaching hip, my effective growth rate has slowed down quite a lot, so realistically I expect it to take just under 2 years to reach classic.

Seeshami
February 5th, 2015, 08:27 PM
My hair is fingertip and I stopped chopping it into bobs in 2007

Eastbound&Down
February 5th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Last cut was Jan '14. Went from a chin length bob to APL in a year no trims. Assuming that growth rate stays the same with no trims 2015, I will reach my goal (tbl) in 2 years. So total growth time about 3 years.

Avis
February 5th, 2015, 09:19 PM
This is a neat idea for a thread.

I got my damaged BSL hair chopped to a pixie in 2012 and have been growing ever since. I'm closing in on waist which was my original goal, but now I'm not sure how long I want to go. Hip for sure. Possibly classic? It should take me about a year and a half to get to hip when wavy so that's about 4 years to that goal. Though, when I was in high school (for some reason) I told my friend I wouldn't cut my hair for 5 years but got three hair cuts since then. I'm still wavering on the idea, but I think it'd be interesting to see how long my hair is in 5 years without a major cut (trims will have to happen sometimes).

Hele
February 5th, 2015, 09:31 PM
i'm actually not sure how long i've been growing, years ago i cut my hair to bsl from knee and maintained it there for a few years. At some point i decided to grow it to waist, and then i just kind of never bothered getting a haircut again. I decided i might as well grow it back to knee late 2013 and joined the site in January 2014 at BCL. I'm now a bit past classic, and that's with a couple self trims of an inch or so. I have roughly a foot until i'm at knee, i always knew having stumpy legs would be handy for something! I'm currently ignoring the hair (other than occasional split end hunts) until June, then i'll see how it's doing and decide if i'll trim or not.

CurlyCap
February 5th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Prolly 4-5 years. I want it curly at hip....which is prolly mid to low thigh on me. And if I'm going that far down, I'm trying for knee.

THing is, I'm happy to stop any time having long hair stops being fun. So we'll see.

ghost
February 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM
The last time I cut my hair was from tailbone to APL when I was 22. That was 5 years ago, and I'm back to tailbone. I would really like to get to knee (which will probably take another 5 years at least), or at the very least to Classic.

RainbowBowser
February 5th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I started out at about APL when I signed up here July 2013, a year and a half ago.
I grow about 4" or so per year (I require a fair bit of damage control so its a bit slower).
So I sit here at MBL with my longest little bits about to brush waist length.
My goal was initially Waist, seeing as I'm almost there, I'm considering TBL.
Attaining that length, from almost-waist, should be 2-3 years. I'm only guessing, it could be longer.

butterflybutton
February 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I've been growing out bleach since July 2013, and cut out all the bleach to a short pixie in November 2013. I'm currently APL stretched.

My goal is waist curly, which I'm estimating will be about another two and a half years away.

Ingrid
February 5th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I've been growing for two years now, and trimming off my damaged hair. I started with APL length hair. My hair is now past hip, and around half-virgin, half-dyed. My goal is knee length, so I estimate it'll probably take another 4-5 years. My mini-goal is mid-thigh, and that's probably 3 years away (maybe optimistically?).

Islandgrrl
February 5th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I started growing my hair back out from a pixie about 8.5 years ago. I'm at knee now, which is roughly where I was before the pixie experiment. I don't really have a well defined goal since knee is the longest my hair has ever been. I guess we will just have to see what happens next!

Doreen
February 6th, 2015, 12:02 AM
As a young child I can remember wanting knee-length hair and asking my mother why my hair wouldn't grow to the length I wanted overnight. Sometime in 2009 when I was at BSL I made a vague effort to get haircuts less and less but not with a specific length goal in mind. By the end of 2010 I was at waist, although still getting regular 6 week trims. It wasn't until 2011 when I reached TBL that I started making more concrete hair 'plans' and paying more attention to my haircare -- previously I had not even bothered brushing most days, and wore it down almost all the time -- but I still didn't have a goal length. I reached classic in 2013 after maintaining at tailbone for a while, but only this past spring after reaching fingertip did I decide that I want to go for knee like I always had dreamed of as a wee little one... I'm only 3, maybe 4, inches away and should reach by August. I anticipate that I'll have fun with knee-length for a while and enjoy it, but eventually I would like to go back to classic and maintain there to clear away a lot of damage that has accumulated, and then go for terminal with my hair in good shape overall.

Achlys
February 6th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I've been growing for 4 years and 7 months. From chin to hip+, almost BCL. About 1.5 more years to go with a little trimming, I guess.

Aubkabob
February 6th, 2015, 12:13 AM
I cut my hair into a chin-length bob a couple of months before I started nursing school. I graduated in June and now it's about two-ish inches from my waist. I hadn't really had a goal - in fact, I found this site while trying to figure out whether or not to cut it all off again, in hopes that I just hate it so much because I'm not taking care of it correctly. I think my goal now is terminal length, which I hadn't considered a goal until coming here! I'm just curious as to just how long it CAN get.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2015, 12:19 AM
I have been growing since 2011 at shoulder length, now am at tailbone and aiming for Classic as a minimum length. I only have 7 inches to go, but will allow another 2 years or so to get there as I have begun microtrimming to thicken my ends which thinned out from a massive shed in 2013.

Long_hair_monk
February 6th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Last hair cut in October 2010. I have been growing since 01 Nov 2010. I completed 4 years and 3 months. Length - Almost mid-back.
Goal - Taken a vow "Not to cut my hair" so infinite length.

Arete
February 6th, 2015, 01:10 AM
I'll reach classic sometime between Christmas '15 and 16' depending on my growth rate. I've been actively growing my hair out since 2012

curiop
February 6th, 2015, 01:49 AM
I've inadvertently (through laziness :p ) been growing since August 2014, when I had my last hair cut. I'm currently just below BSL, and I have dreams of classic. If all variables were to be favourable (no need for trims, regular growth rate of 0.5 inch per month, me not getting angry at it and hacking bits off of it..) it will take me around three years to get to classic. However! Only the top 3.75 inches of my hair are actually my hair colour - the rest have been dyed and then bleached back out, and my ends are unsurprisingly damaged from it. Growing all that out will probably take more than 3 years on top of that.. so I may be looking at closer to 7 years :knit:

darklyndsea
February 6th, 2015, 02:32 AM
I've been growing since December of '09 when it was cut to shoulder+ length. I should reach my next incremental goal (knee when my hair's as straight as it ever gets) before summer; knee when curly will take 1-2 years. After that it's floor-length. I don't know how far it is from my knees to the floor, but it's at least 18 inches (3 years). I'm ultimately either going for floor or terminal, and who knows how long terminal will take??

Federica
February 6th, 2015, 04:22 AM
I never had my hair shorter than BSL/MBL since my early teens, and always wanted it to grow very long.
I made it to classic/fingertip at the age of 17 and maintained there for 2-3 years, then I started to experiment with dyes and bleach and this bad story ended at the age of 23 with my hair totally devasted and cutted back to a heavy layered WL.
That was four years ago, then I started to grow it back and get rid of all the layers and bleached lenght. It has been a nightmare.
Now I'm between hip and BCL with almost blunt hem and all the bleach is gone, but I think that it will take at least another couple of years to get to CL/FTL, which is my goal.

Wosie
February 6th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Hmm, let's see... I cut my hair into a very short pixie in March 2012 and I'm currently really close of crossing past my BSL (which is the same as MBL on me). So I've been growing for 2 years and 11 months. :)

My hair goal is classic length, and according to my hair growth chart it'll take 2 years and 10 months before I've reached it. ^o^ So I'm apparently right in the middle of my journey!

lazuliblue
February 6th, 2015, 05:17 AM
I'ts been about 2.5 years since I started to grow out my pixie and I am just past BSL. My first goal is waist (when my hair is pulled straight - when it is wavy it springs up an inch or so) and I should reach that in 8-9 months, so by this October/November.

If I go for hip (which I probably will) then that will be an extra 8 months I think.

Gertrude
February 6th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Five years from shoulder. First to APL, two years maintaining there to grow out damage and thicken ends, now at BSL, on way to waist. 18 months to 2 years with regular dusting every ten weeks.

battles
February 6th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I started consciously growing it from chin length in December 2011, but kept making terrible decisions and cutting it back off. I'm back to my starting point as of last month.

spidermom
February 6th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Impossible to say. I'm at nearly tailbone (so close!) now and plan to grow until it stops getting longer.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2015, 09:30 AM
i was at collarbone abit more than 3,5 years ago, so i dont complain about my growth rate. ok i shouldnt, bit i feel like my hair didnt grow at all over the past 3 months. dangling an inch away from classic when wet, looking about BCL when wavy.
i hope its some sort of winter folicle depression, because it cant be breakage... otherwise it would mean im nearing my terminal maybe. i dont intend to grow much longer than classic, so i would be alright with maintaining a super pretty soft and flowy hemline. in case it wants to grow past fingertip i will reach for the scissors.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2015, 09:30 AM
pardon, these days i either double posts or it doesnt let me post at all, lol.

ShDiHa
February 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM
My goal is waist and I'm BSL right now. I've been growing since June of 2011, I had my hair chopped to a slightly-below-chin bob. Got another major cut this past August, which took my hair from BSL to slightly above APL.

Nevb1973
February 6th, 2015, 10:55 AM
last cut my hair about a year ago. I was just not really thinking about it and realized it was getting pretty long. So I decieded to see if I could let it get long about a month ago. I'm at waist now and would like to be TBL.It should be there by the end of 2015 I think. I'm short so it won"t take as long.

Hootenanny
February 6th, 2015, 11:01 AM
This thread is such an interesting read! I've just hit waist unstretched (so, between hip and BCL stretched), and I've been growing out a pixie since summer of 2011, with only one (fairly significant) trim between then and now. My current goal is tailbone or classic when curly, which means I'll probably need to be some inches beyond fingertip stretched.

Nevb1973
February 6th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I'm calling my hair my mid life crisis hair. I have this thing about getting older. It started at 25 and evrg year my birthday really freaks me out. I turned 42 January 4th. It's silly I know but it's just my weird thing in my head. I do look younger than my age so it's not even that. I think the long hair makes me feel more youthful.

arr
February 6th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I need 2 1/2 to 3 inches to reach my goal of halfway between my elbow and wrist, which i guess i will call full hip as opposed to top of hip where i am now (im about an inch past waist). I started growing from top of BSL in May 2013 so i have been growing 1 year and 9 months. Along the way i have trimmed a total of 4 inches to get rid of bad layers. I will reach my goal sometime this summer. I hope i will be satisfied but if my hair doesnt feel long then i will reevaluate.

Katlette
February 6th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I've been growing since April 2014, which is when I joined LHC. I had waist length hair but the ends were really bleach-damaged so I trimmed a couple of inches. I'm maybe two inches from tailbone now, which was my original goal. Obviously, the LHC influence has gotten to me and now I'm aiming for classic. At my growth rate, that should be April 2016, so exactly two years from starting. I am, however, trimming out damage as I go, so I don't think it'll be that fast. I hope I make classic by the end of 2016. But then, who knows, I might be thinking of going to knee at that point... :rolleyes: :D

Becs
February 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I've been growing my hair out from a pixie for almost 6 years now. I originally got the pixie because I was a swimmer and I didn't wear a cap so my hair got really damaged. I decided to wear a cap and start growing it out because on one of the swim team bus trips all the girls were braiding each others hair and mine wasn't long enough for that, so I was pretty sad. I decided to grow out my hair so it would be long enough to braid, and now I wear it in braids every day :D. I'm at BCL now (which was my original goal) but now I hope to grow to classic (maybe slightly beyond) which I estimate will take another year or so. I have a pretty fast growth rate i think, but I've also been doing some microtrimming to thicken my hemline after almost two years of not trimming

Fairina
February 6th, 2015, 12:11 PM
3" to get to BSL, but around 9" to get to waist my ultimate goal. I've been officially growing since 11/14 shoulder length hair

SThr
February 6th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Here are my hair measurement entries:
http://i.imgur.com/PdxbXYa.jpg
And here are my estimated lengths based on that data:
http://i.imgur.com/YqiiP4R.jpg
I have no reliable way of knowing what my terminal length will be, so I just estimate to floor length. Data before 26" is skewed because of a hair cut, that's how long it would have been.

I started at 24", that's BSL for me, back in November 2012, that's when I found LHC. I'm currently at 40", just short of classic. Though I'll need to do some trimming to even out my hemline, I should be touching classic in March, and have reached my goal of fingertip in late August, probably a little later with trims.

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I've been growing mine for three years now. I haven't cut mine for a while I'm nearing waist started at shoulder length. My goal is tail bone I'm guessing I have 3 more years until I reach tail bone.

Fairina
February 6th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Here are my hair measurement entries:
http://i.imgur.com/PdxbXYa.jpg
And here are my estimated lengths based on that data:
http://i.imgur.com/YqiiP4R.jpg
I have no reliable way of knowing what my terminal length will be, so I just estimate to floor length. Data before 26" is skewed because of a hair cut, that's how long it would have been.

I started at 24", that's BSL for me, back in November 2012, that's when I found LHC. I'm currently at 40", just short of classic. Though I'll need to do some trimming to even out my hemline, I should be touching classic in March, and have reached my goal of fingertip in late August, probably a little later with trims.

I love how you've mathed this all out! I need to steal this.

curiouskitty
February 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I've been growing out my hair for just about 2 years now. Started at pixie, now I'm at a little past APL.
I've got 1.5 more years to go until I reach my goal, waist length.
Although I've noticed a spike in growth rate since I've started going to the gym. Might take even less time? Maybe? :pray:

browneyedsusan
February 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM
A couple of months.
Started growing in April 2012 from pixie. :)

Nique1202
February 6th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I got a cut to pixie in February 2011, maintained it for a couple of months, then started growing. So, call it maybe May 2011. First I trimmed out the bottom so I'd never have a mullet look, then I sort of just let it grow, trimming an inch or so every 4-6 months. I cut layers back in at one point, then deeper layers, then the deepest layers I could do at home basically, which is what I'm now working on growing out. Hah.

If I grow my layers out fully, it'll be probably April or May of next year that I'll start growing out again. From here, I have about 14 inches until classic, which will take about another year and a half, so near the end of 2017 (around my 30th birthday, now THAT would be a gift!). But, I'm probably going to just keep on a-growing once I get there. I'm aiming for "until it's too much bother" rather than a specific length, so I have no idea how long I'll be growing!

midnight_blue
February 6th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I guess I started in July when I got it cut back to just below chin, I was originally only planning to go for APL, then I changed my mind and decided to aim for tailbone. Since joining up here I've started flirting with the idea of going for terminal. Based on my current rate of growth I should hit tailbone in about 18 months, I'll make a decision then as to whether I maintain or keep going!

pixldust
February 6th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I can't remember when I started growing out my last pixie, but I had the dreaded mullet levelled off in October 2012 so that's what I count as my starting point. I'm now at bsl, and have had a few very small trims and dustings here and there. My usual growth rate is half an inch and if that stays steady I should be at my current goal of waist by the end of this year. A benefit of being short-waisted! I'm going to maintain for a while at waist to get rid of more damage and decide if I want to stay at waist or press on. Hip seems really tempting!

Nettyx
February 6th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Hi All,

My last proper cut was June 2013 and then I had a jaw length bob. I am currently about an inch above BSL which is my current goal, but since my previous goal was APL til I reached it my hair may never be long enough.

Seventy7
February 6th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I've got no idea how long I have been growing.. Last haircut was somewhere last summer. Before that i kept delaying getting a haircut for maybe a year, so it feels like I have been growing for quite a while.

My goal is 'longer than it is now and in prettier updo's'. As my hair is about halfway between SL and APL now, I think I can keep this goal for quite some time. I don't know yet when it will be enough.

lapushka
February 6th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Well, I've been on here since 2005. So that's 10 years, not 10 years' worth of growing, though, I'm afraid. I screwed up plentiful times! I couldn't get past BSL for a number of years due to coloring (henna, regular dye, bleach, all used interchangeably). That caught up with me one time when I got a chemical cut & burn and that stopped my dyeing experiences dead-on. Ever since I've been growing, had to grow back from chin, though, and more than a few times (the first time, no chemical cut & burn, I hadn't yet learned my lesson). So yeah. It took me about 2/3 years from shoulder to hip, growing out a perm (yes dye, then a perm). Had to cut back to BSL and that's where we are now. I'm TBL+, all virgin hair and growing strong. I'm on my way to classic with the no-trimming thread this year. Did a year of no-trimming last year to reach TBL (success!) and now I don't plan on quitting any time soon. I'll see where it takes me!

ClassicAim
February 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I stopped cutting my hair approx. 2-3 years ago and let it grow mostly out of laziness and life getting in the way. I decided to start caring for my hair and then grow it about 8 months ago. I started with below armpit length hair and following dying the last few inches of my hair and incurring damage with I have been slowly trimming I am at the very top of Bra strap length, I'm going to fully claim it when I get about another inch of growth and am solidly BSL. My short term goal is waist length with is approx. 6 inches away, I'm giving myself 1.5 years to reach it (partially due to slowly trimming the dye damage). My ultimate goal is Classic length and I'm aiming to achieve that in the next 5 years.

Addy
February 7th, 2015, 01:27 AM
I'll be 2 years into growing out a pixie in June. I'm nearing APL at the moment. I'll be thrilled when I can get to waist length probably in another 18 months. I'm currently forgoing any trims for 2015 and should be past BSL by Christmas. My hair grows really fast so I feel it's achievable by end of summer 2016.

Rebecka
February 7th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Three years that i wanted long hair, two years without bleach. Now my virgin hair is chin length, so with this extreme hair growth I guess i just have like 37 years left until i reach waist.:toast:

ashke50
February 7th, 2015, 03:38 AM
It's almost 4 years since I joined LHC, which is when I actively started growing my hair, rather than half heartedly wishing it was longer. In that time I've grown from about waist to approaching fingertip. I don't know how much longer I'll need to grow to reach my goal, because I'm aiming for terminal. If I'm lucky I'll reach knee towards the end of this year, but terminal could take years to identify!

skyblue
February 7th, 2015, 04:09 AM
I joined here in 2011 with waist length fair tail ends, after lots of trims, ups and downs, and wanting to pull all my hair out lol I'm just a few inches from classic with a tiny bit thicker and straight cut ends I'm hoping to gain thigh length hair and I probably have 2 more very careful years to go (struggling with thin hair so its tough)

Begemot
February 7th, 2015, 04:19 AM
I think I started growing longer hair six to seven years ago but I didn't have a goal back then. My goal has been waist for at least five years and I have managed to grow waist couple of times. Almost four years ago I decided I wanted virgin color waist length hair. Now I have my natural hair color and I'm going to make it to solid waist this year! I think I'm going to stay and maintain somewhere around waist, little longer or a tad shorter so MBL-hip.

M-L-E
February 7th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I wanted to grow my hair but had to keep it shoulder length for nearly a year to cut out damage. Finally got my last proper trim in June/July 2014 (SL) and have been impatiently growing since then! Now about half an inch from BSL, and my goal is waist... or BCL... Depending on whether I can grow hair that long! Never had hair longer than BSL so this is all new to me:) Hoping to be at waist by Dec 2015, but my hair seems to grow in random spurts. Half an inch in two weeks, followed by slow growth for another few weeks, and so on... Trying to pinpoint what causes the spurts so I can keep doing whatever it is!

Estrid
February 7th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I have wanted long hair for many years and have started to grow it out several times but always ended up cutting it (not gonna happen again). My last cut was in may and I think it will take me another 2-3 years to reach hip.

vivianne
February 7th, 2015, 05:46 AM
I love this thread! I am really surprised how many of you started with a pixie! That´s amazing! I never had that short hair again since i was a very young child! :-)

My hair was always between midback and ALP. In 2013 i discovered the pages of the long hair community in Germany. And BAAAAM! There it was: my wish to grow really loooong hair! My husband confessed later at the same time to me: "Please don´t think i am a really mad wierdo about hair.. but i like the the way the elves in LOTR wear they hair: About knee length!" Me, too! He never sad a word before about my length and also he was quiet, when i chopped it every year again from midback to shoulder or APL, always do a lot of highlighting too....

In Nov 2013 i chopped all my dry ends like every year once or twice before. My length between shoulder and APL was the start length. I highlighted the last time too in november 2013.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/Vivi_an_ne/LHN%20Fotos/ec45d5ae-631d-4483-9bb5-7f91c671d685_zpsc3fa7fae.png (http://s918.photobucket.com/user/Vivi_an_ne/media/LHN%20Fotos/ec45d5ae-631d-4483-9bb5-7f91c671d685_zpsc3fa7fae.png.html)

My goal length is knee length, V or U shaped, bangs maybe :-)

I love this thread! I am really surprised how many of you started with a pixie! That´s amazing! I never had that short hair again since i was a very young child! :-)

My hair was always between midback and ALP. In 2013 i discovered the pages of the long hair community in Germany. And BAAAAM! There it was: my wish to grow really loooong hair! My husband confessed later at the same time to me: "Please don´t think i am a really mad wierdo about hair.. but i like the the way the elves in LOTR wear they hair: About knee length!" Me, too! He never sad a word before about my length and also he was quiet, when i chopped it every year again from midback to shoulder or APL, always do a lot of highlighting too....

In Nov 2013 i chopped all my dry ends like every year once or twice before. My length between shoulder and APL was the start length. I highlighted the last time too in november 2013.

My goal: knee length (maybe), V or U cut, bangs :-)

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/Vivi_an_ne/LHN%20Fotos/54557aed-be56-41e0-b8c0-2c52e79542fb_zps25b8dded.png (http://s918.photobucket.com/user/Vivi_an_ne/media/LHN%20Fotos/54557aed-be56-41e0-b8c0-2c52e79542fb_zps25b8dded.png.html)

Knifegill
February 7th, 2015, 05:52 AM
4 months I've been growing, have grown from "head" length (not really even on neck) and am now to shoulder.

Goal is terminal. Learning to bun soon.

GrowingOut
February 7th, 2015, 05:52 AM
It'll probably be another 3-4 years before I hit mid-calf/ankle, as I plan to pit-stop a year at knee to let my bangs catch up and thicken at the ends. I've been growing for 5 years now, so around a decade.

erizabesu
February 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM
While I've always had long hair by conventional standards, it wasn't until May of 2014 that I decided to grow it out extremely long. When I started back in May, I was at about waist length. I'm currently about tailbone and should be at classic (my minimum goal) sometime later this year. I'm not sure what my final length will be or how long it will take to get there because I am aiming for terminal (or the point where it becomes too unmanageable).

endlessly
February 7th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I guess now that I think about it, I never really had a specific goal length in mind, I just always wanted to see how long I could grow it before I reached terminal. Currently, I'm midway to knee when my hair is straight, but in it's naturally wavy state, I'm at classic - still though, it's the longest my hair has ever been!

After a particularly bad haircut several years ago, I've been growing my hair out - so only about 3-4 years? But, I've gone through several periods of growing it out, then chopping it, etc. Last my hair was considered long was about 7 years ago before I had it chopped when I went off to college. It's easily the healthiest it has ever been though, so I think I'm doing something right!

Cinnamonagouti
February 7th, 2015, 12:44 PM
My current goal is hip-length curly/waist-length braided, which would be around TBL/BCL when stretched. At the moment my braid is a few inches past BSL, in its curly state it's mid-back, and stretched only an inch or two above waist. I have no idea what my average growth ratio is, but I reckon it'll take anather two or three years to reach my goal. I have been "consciously" growing my hair out for a year or two, starting somewhere between APL and BSL.

hypersensitive
February 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I've reached my hair goal, and then some. My goal was classic and I got to fingertip+ before I decided to cut back to my current manageable waist. It took about 4 years to get to fingertip from BSL. Good luck everyone!

Agnes Hannah
February 7th, 2015, 02:48 PM
My last professional trim was July 13, and the hairdresser said it was long. It was between collar and APL! I have been growing since then and am now at waist creeping on to hip. I want to sit on it, so I guess classic is as good a goal as any, if I can grow this long. It will take about 2 years to get that long.

3 Cat Night
February 7th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I'm just starting now. I recently had my hair cut into a pixie. I want it to grow to waist length curled, not stretched. I have absolutely no idea how long that will take. Years and years, I imagine, because curly hair grows around and around. It was 36 inches, stretched, when I graduated high school back in the stone age. That took five years, starting from chin length. I think. So I have probably six or seven years to go. Sigh.

Atira
February 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I havnt cut my hair since Ocrober 2009 when it was slightly last shoulder curly. It's barely hip curly now. My current goal is so,I'd BCL curly, with thicker hem. I'm not sure I can do it as it hasn't seemed to grow in two years.

Arwenlily
February 7th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I started consciously growing my hair in December 2013 at APL when curly. My hair has not grown much since then, not sure why. It could be because I'd had some relatively large trims throughout the past years, I've had some significant hair loss from SD, and a good amount of my hair is still dye and heat damaged (breakage is pretty bad). I'm at BSL now when curly, MBL when wet. At this rate, it feels like I'll never reach WL.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Waist while curly.

I started in may 2012.

My original goal was bra strap curly.

I think I'll reach waist while curly in 2017. 5 years. We'll see.

I started at ear length unstretched. My siggy below is unstretched right now

Zin79
February 7th, 2015, 11:39 PM
My hair goal is waist length! I've started growing out my hair from June 7, 2014 with shoulder length hair. I've slightly wavy hair so when it's wet and pin straight, it reaches *almost* BSL. But with waves, it's still 2 inches from BSL. Can't believe it it's been 7 months already!
I guess, to reach BSL perfectly, it'll take 4 months at least. And waist length will take another 1 year or more. Maybe around June, 2016!

SThr
February 8th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I love how you've mathed this all out! I need to steal this.

You're welcome to it! It's from the Hair Growth Tracking Program in my sig.

MoonlitWitch
February 8th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Looking for at least classic and healthy! I have been growing for about five years now and am somewhere between waist and hip, trying to be patient.

martyna_22
February 8th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Hip, I think? I need 2" or so, but I have a trim coming up, so a few months. I like the way my hair almost reaches my waist from the front. This is THE length for me ^^

ETA: Oh, and I've been growing for some 4 years now. I started from chin, but had a moment when I lost some 5" at once and had multiple trims overall. I'm satisfied with my hair's condition right now, though.

HumanBean
February 8th, 2015, 10:57 PM
I started at shoulder. My original goal was BSL, but as most do here I reached that and promptly extended my goal. I'm hovering just above hip right now, and I'm not really sure if I'm going to keep going or not. I feel like it's boring when I have it going down my back, but I feel like it looks great when pulled over my shoulders. My hemline needs shaping though, and there is some split ends to come off throughout, so I thought I'd get that done and then see how I feel. I might need to go longer just to keep the shape and look I want when my hair is loose no matter how it's styled.

Rushli
February 8th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I started in July 2012 at shoulder length with no goal except not to chop to something shorter. I did have 2 hair cuts to fix a diffuse accident that burnt chunks of my wurls off. The latter of the hair cuts was just before finding LHC and was just a final evening of the layers. I was thankful to have just hit BSL when joining. If I get growth like I did this last year, I have 28 months until I hit FTL. If I grow an average of 6", I have 34 months to go. Of course all assuming I dont trim and have no issues.

In summery: I have been growing for 32 months, and need to grow another 28-34 months for a total of 60 to 66 months to get from SL to FTL (50")

Avital88
February 9th, 2015, 01:47 AM
My goal is classic w good ends. At the moment 1inch away from tailbone. I Will need another 1.5-2 years w trims

Rainbow2911
February 9th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I've had tbl hair a few times before. I think my last cut short (to chin length) was in 2008. I cut back to shoulder length a few times after that. I think the last time was 2010? I've been growing since then and I'm now at classic, my original goal. Now I want to find where my hair stops growing, unless it gets too annoying to cope with before then. I'm hopeful - classic is much better behaved than tbl for some reason!

mermaid lullaby
February 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I got four inches to go!
I maintained waist last summer and fall, but I have been growing since 2012 to tbl

Saige
February 10th, 2015, 05:22 PM
I started growing from collar bone length 3 or 4 years ago and I'm now a little past hip. I have no idea what my goal length is yet, just that I want my hair to be a lot longer than it is now! I think it will take me at least another 3 years before I'll be happy with it.

DeadlyUnicorn
February 10th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I started with about shoulder/collarbone length hair with bangs to the side, that was in March of 2011. Now my hair is about tailbone length just 1 month shy of 4 years. :) I don't really have a goal length I just want to grow it as long as possible! :kitten:

Colochita
February 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Perhaps 3-4 years?

Currently almost at BSL, with a goal of HL+.

I've been actively growing for a year (healthy hair practices), and started at SL.

pamrlyn
February 10th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Hay Y'all

This is interesting - to hear about the hair journeys & how different they all are. Mine started in about 2009, when I decided to stop coloring my hair. it was looking bad & my scalp is really sensitive. anyway, my hair was shoulder length, when I grew out the roots, as far as I could stand it, then whacked it off. so it was 2-3 inches long. it took 3 years with trims to get the rest of the color off & get back to a blunt cut shoulder length. Then I thought - it would be nice to have a long braid when I'm in my 60s. before this, my hair had never been longer than shoulder length. Now I''m just at BST. yay!

Who knows when I'll get to the nice long braid - tailbone length - I think. long way to go!

Mermaidhair<3
February 12th, 2015, 05:12 PM
My goal length is https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/05/86/ed/0586edc294a19c9afcb6e41cdab40ea8.jpg
A little bit past waist, and right now I am BSL so anywhere from 6 to 8 months now..
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10961869_414366595406660_2110934353_n.jpg?oh=4d9b4 39f017c22f593300ac078b1eeaf&oe=54DFB8C5&__gda__=1423919125_c80437ee73a3df8710b8e6bfaecc98d c
^ my hair now

MagicalMystery
February 12th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I've been growing out my hair since I got pregnant with my youngest son, so for 3 years. :) I think I'm BSL now. My goal is hip length!

momschicklets
February 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Well I started out a little longer than chin and have been growing for a little more than a year. Now I'm APL :) My goal is waist....and I figure 2 more solid years of growth to get there. But I really feel like getting to APL was the hard part...seemed like it was NEVER going to happen!

jpitt
February 13th, 2015, 09:38 PM
I started from a standard guy cut and officially decided to grow my hair out around thanksgiving 2013, but I hadn't had a haircut in a couple months by then and finally decided to forgo it and try it long. So I guess I have been growing for about 16 months or so.
I still don't really have a goal length but I am pretty sure I will be somewhere between APL and MBL by the end of the year with no trimming if it keeps growing at its current rate.

Elizabeth E
May 12th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I started at a little past APL and I'm currently 1 inch away from waist. My hair grows pretty quickly, so I think it should take around 5 years to get to knee (it helps that I'm not very tall). But if my terminal length happens to be before that...I think CL will do. Should take about 2 1/2 years from now - we'll see.

Trip
May 12th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Right now i’m just aiming for waist but FTL/Knee is a dream. I’ve been growing for 10 months and went from chin to almost apl so I have no idea how long its gonna take me but i imagine a long time lol

Guitargod
May 12th, 2018, 05:01 PM
My goal for now is classic, and I should be able to reach it this year. I've been growing it since 2010, after I cut my hair in 2005. It was probably around waist, maybe shorter, then.

Simsy
May 12th, 2018, 05:04 PM
I kinda fell into long hair. It grew to about BSLin high school before being cut off to CBL due to damage. I was planning on leaving it there but it was back to about waist stretched by the time I figured out what I needed to do with it. So I just left it to grow. Final planned length is CL curly, and I’m pretty sure I have made it; but I’m in the no-trim challenge for this year so I will have to see where I get to.

I have been actively growing for about 7-8 years, but ignoring the hell out of it for closer to 15.

nycelle
May 12th, 2018, 05:07 PM
I'm at about 27" now and my goal is waist at about 31" so about 8-10 months depending on how much I trim.

cjk
May 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I don't have a specific goal length. I have milestone goals.

Ponytail, check.

French twist, check.

Legit bun, check. Though bigger is better.

Double French braid, check.

Single French braid, not yet.

Double loose braid, not yet.

Single loose braid, not yet.

Willie Nelson lookalike, not yet.

Corvana
May 12th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I officially started March of 2016, but stayed at shoulder for awhile for layers to catch up.

As long as everything stays great like it is, then I'll go for my goal of fingertip which will take me three to four more years (depending on growth spurts and such!).

shaluwm_agape
May 12th, 2018, 06:28 PM
So my goal right now is classic and i just reached APL. I started growing in Jan of 2017 however i had layers so every 2 months or so i trimmed to get rid of them. But when i joined TLHC was when i had got rid of all my layers and really began my journey. So i think it will take about another 4 yrs to get there and have the desired look i want

DryadicSeaNymph
May 12th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I don't have a specific goal length. I have milestone goals.

Ponytail, check.

French twist, check.

Legit bun, check. Though bigger is better.

Double French braid, check.

Single French braid, not yet.

Double loose braid, not yet.

Single loose braid, not yet.

Willie Nelson lookalike, not yet.

I adore your eighth milestone! :)

Groovy Granny
May 12th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I started growing out from chin in 2013 and reached my first goal of Hip in 2016 thanks to a short torso :p
Since then I cut back to waist twice but I am now at Hip for a 3rd time and staying there. :agree:

Eastbound&Down
May 12th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Well, current overall goal is hip and if I did my math correctly, I have just under 2 more years until I get there.

4 inches to BSL: ~8 months
4 inches from BSL to WL: ~8 months
3 inches from WL to HL: ~6 months

Spikey
May 12th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I'm somewhere around BSL or MBL or even almost waist depending on my texture (gotta love curly hair). I've been growing for maybe 2 years from shoulder.

I figure I've got 2 years to a totally curly waist and about 4 months to a wavy waist. My end goal is classic, but I'm not near enough to be thinking about that yet!

Milady_DeWinter
May 13th, 2018, 01:21 AM
I'm at hip, my goal is classic... with virgin hair and a blunt hemline, I'm growing out dyes/henna and layers. So I'll probably stay maintaining at BCL/TBL for quite some time, to let my layers/dyes catch up. It's not easy to calculate; I might also just go for classic once my layers are gone (the are at waist or so now). So, minimum 3-4 years to have all dyes/henna gone. I've been growing since december 2016, past BSL.

I'll probably be maintining from july next year, by now got 2 more Lapushka's "6 months without trims" threads ahead! :bigtongue:

Dante
May 13th, 2018, 04:16 AM
I started growing a little over 3 and a half years ago, at maybe collarbone length (not entirely sure but I think around that). I didn’t initially have a goal, just wanted to grow long enough to do an updo at my wedding (and I had that, 3 years ago next week). My first real goal was mermaid length and then once I hit that I wanted waist length. Then once I hit that I went for hip and now, having reached that, I’m going for classic, or maybe FTL. (Typical LHC story, always wanting more!)

I’m currently at 35 inches and think classic is 48 and FTL is 51. I think it’s going to take another 3 years (allowing for a trim or two a year) to get there.

Katsura
May 13th, 2018, 04:29 AM
I've been growing for 1 and a half years, I started from APL, as I had stopped using chemical dyes and had grown out my layered hairstyle that was basicly forced on me by severe breakage that was because of chemical dye deteriorated hair. Now I want to see if I can grow longer, my hair is about MBL now. My goal is a bit indefinite, it depends basicly on weather my hair will start thinning a lot or not.

leayellena
May 13th, 2018, 06:21 AM
My hair started growing since winter 2013. I didn't realize my hair was growing because I was busy with life. Now that my hair has become a hobby I think I have to wait at least 1-2 year to reach minimum classic length. For calf length (my dream length I think I will have to wait like 10 years or more)

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I started actively growing mine out since around when I joined. Every other attempt failed because I kept excessively flat ironing, bleaching, never cutting off any split ends, etc. For now, I really like touching up my ends with frequent microtrims, so I may or may not make it HL, my main goal, by the end of the year. Regardless, I'm high waisted so reaching hip will take me a good while!

AutobotsAttack
May 13th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I’m not sure how long it’s going to take me to get to Classic (that’s my most recent goal I want), but I’m at BCL. I thought I was closer to TBL, but I don’t think I’m there just yet as much as I really would like to be, but it’s okay. It’ll be three years this August that I’ve been growing my hair from ear/neck length up until now.

AmaryllisRed
May 13th, 2018, 07:10 PM
I just want it long enough to sit on, which is maybe another 5-6 inches, so probably a year or thereabouts.
I never know how to answer the question of how long I've been growing. I guess it's been growing for 36 years haha. But I cut it to my chin in 2014... and I cut long layers in 2016. That was my last haircut and I decided late last year to grow it until I get annoyed with it.

Gwyned
May 13th, 2018, 07:29 PM
If I retain half an inch per month I will reach my goal in a little over 2.5 years. My hair actually grows quicker than half an inch per month but it grows at least half an inch per month even if I don't take care of it. It should take around 16 months to achieve my length goal if my hair grows my usual average of 3/4ths of an inch per month. It often grows quicker than that if I deep condition and keep my mid-shaft to ends hydrated with a moisturizing leave-in conditioner. I am oiling my ends twice per day as well to make sure that I am staying on top of sealing in the moisture. :)

lithostoic
May 13th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Another couple years

FennFire911
May 13th, 2018, 08:28 PM
My hair goal will take years, if not for the rest of my life. I'm terminally curious. I think classic would be a nice minimum length, and knee would be wonderful to maintain if I ever manage to get there.
I've been growing it out for 20 years, with occasional "what was I THINKING!?" moments when I've chopped back to waist or MBL. Before joining here I never measured properly, not even by body part milestones. I have pictures of what appears to have been BCL or even classic that I used to refer to as hip length because I thought hip length was at the hip *joints* where your legs attach. I didn't know hip length was all the way up at the top of the iliac crest.
Shortly after those pictures I cut back to MBL because I caved in to the people who said I "should" donate it to Locks Of Love. I was disgusted later to find out what a waste that is and that my hair was just probably thrown away. From here on out what I SHOULD do is enjoy my own dang hair.
I think I'll be at BCL in another 2 months or so, and possibly BCL by the end of this year? I haven't done the calculations. Maybe if all goes well I will be at classic this time next year. I imagine these milestones are easier for me to hit at only 5'2" haha
My ULTIMATE goal is to real these impressive (to me) lengths with a full thick blunt hemline instead of the faerie tale ends I currently have. This will obviously take me longer. I do see the thickness of where my hair is full growing further down my length as old layers and damage grow out.
It's still a waiting game, and I've got the rest of my life to enjoy playing it. I don't intend to make any more chop mistakes. Patience, love, and acceptance and appreciation for what I do have is going to sustain me until I have what I truly want.
Thanks for all the encouragement I've gotten here along my journey.

Otempura
May 14th, 2018, 01:08 AM
I've been growing my hair since October 31st, 2016 (first day at my new job!) and it was an asymmetric bob (one side chin length the other shoulder length, and half stacked in the back. I wouldn't let them completely stack it when they cut it 6 months prior.) Right now it's at bra strap length.

My goal for the end of the year is mbl!

My main goal is thigh length!

trolleypup
May 14th, 2018, 07:16 AM
With a goal like "longer", the door is wide open, but I'm pretty much at terminal now. ~30 years since the last major haircut, roughly.

waff
May 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Classic length with a thick hemline. I am at HL, and my hemline is not as thick as I would like it to be.

Larki
May 14th, 2018, 10:29 AM
My ultimate goal is terminal/floor, but who knows how long that will take! Lol. I'm at TBL now and estimate that it will take about a year and half to two years to get to the next milestone, classic. I've been growing for four years already, started at BSL or MBL ish.

Dark40
May 14th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I've been growing since 2010. I haven't had a haircut since then, and not planning to. Right now my hair is waist length. I would like for it to grow to thigh length or however long it can grow. I have another 2 years before i reach thigh length.

gustavonut
May 14th, 2018, 01:45 PM
My ultimate hair goal is classic but my next milestone is waist length and I estimate that I will be there by next Christmas or February.

WyntreBlossom
May 14th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Ive been growing since April 2017 and my goal keeps teetering bettween Hip/Thigh length or even just classic or terminal. I honestly don't know exactly what my goal is but I know I want it close to my hip/leg area. As for how long? I probably have many years to go.

Wendyp
May 14th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Well seriously since jan, before that I was just getting my hair done at a salon and hoping would get longer. I have had long hair all my life but haven’t been bcl since a child. I got super serious in jan this year about health and length. I have 5 1/2 inches till BCL, but I will continue to trim to get rid of damage so Although is love to make it by Christmas it likely will be sometime after that.

Synester
May 14th, 2018, 06:00 PM
about 10 inches away from my goal I think. will probably take a few years my hair grows so slow. and ive been growing it for 7 or 8 years now, from chin to waist.