PDA

View Full Version : Products to Amp Hairgrowth

syedanoor
February 5th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and am excited on embarking on my hair growth journey with y'all! I recently got a pixie, and have been enjoying it a lot, but I'm ready to start growing my hair out.

Are there any products (shampoo/conditioner, oil treatments, vitamins etc) or methods that you'd recommend for some above average growth results? I would prefer recommendations that are natural, and vegetarian :)

Thank you so much!

truepeacenik
February 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Anything claiming to up hair growth is likely suspect.

A great veg diet, exercise, gentle washing, detangling and consistent conditioning will all decrease damage.
And length is growth minus damage.

Welcome to LHC.

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I don't think there is much out there, maybe regular head massages if you can keep it up?
Head massage can increase blood circulation, so it's something that could help a bit. You can do it as part of that "inversion method" for stimulating growth.

Minoxidil and caffeine have some research to back their effectiveness, but minoxidil is really an intense medication for balding people rather than a light boost.
Something anti-fungal, like miconazole nitrate (Monistat) or medicated anti-dandruff shampoo might help, but only in case there is an undiagnosed fungal overgrowth on scalp, which is a relatively common factor to slow down healthy growth.

luvlonghair75
February 5th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Welcome!

Totally agree with the inversion method. Massaging the scalp can do alot more than using certain products! Light oil in the hair and braiding (or updos) at night help prevent breakage and snags. Brush/comb twice a day and don't twist or treat wet hair when it's most fragile, roughly. And drink plenty of water and do some form of exercise daily. :)

swearnsue
February 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM
You could look into taking diatomaceous earth and see if it is something you might like to try. I've been using it for years. It increased my growth rate for the first two months and then the "effect" wore off. But I keep taking it for health reasons.

Madora
February 5th, 2015, 08:09 PM
A good diet to begin with. Gentle products and daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush in the bent at the waist position. However, be sure to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before using the brush. Good luck!

Panth
February 6th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Your best bet to increase growth is to reduce length loss. So, cut out things that are damaging to the hair (e.g. bleach, dye, etc.) and practice gentle handling, protective updos, etc.

If you are as healthy as you can be (good diet, moderate exercise, all illnesses and vitamin/mineral deficiencies checked out and treated if you have them) then there's very little that will increase your growth rate. As others have said, the only possible things that might actually work are scalp massage and antifungals (though the latter will only work if you have a fungal infection on your scalp).

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'm using a mist on caffeine treatment I think it's working. In the past monistat has worked along with mint oil, and other growth challenges I've tried. I do trying to speed up my growth rate.

CD
February 6th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Biotin/omega 3s would help it grow. It's best not to use much heat, but if you need to use a blow dryer or iron do so with a thermal protectant. Also, you should still get maintenance trims to take care of the split ends as these can progress up the hair shaft.

Callie

MiamiPineapple
February 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Biotin, diatomaceous earth as someone already mentioned and a healthy diet. However, there isn't too much you can do to significantly increase growth. I also second the BB brush for conditioning.

Mainly, stay away from heat and damaging dyes that ruin your hair, cause splits and breakage and prevent you from growing long hair. I think this is my #1 piece of advice. Just leave your hair alone and it will grow, trust me. I have done more damage than I care to admit from messing around with heat and treatments. I am almost at hip but I would be way beyond if I had stopped messing with it a long time ago!

Beborani
February 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Ketocanazole is a weak anti androgen and is often used in treatment cocktails for androgenetic alopecia for that reason.

QMacrocarpa
February 7th, 2015, 09:21 AM
<snip> daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush in the bent at the waist position.<snip>

Alas, for some of us (like me), this would kill our backs as well as our hair. OP, with any advice, remember that your results may be very different, and there is no duty to soldier on with something that is not working for you. I'm always amazed by posts saying "I've been doing such-and-such highly-recommended LHC-approved routine for six months, and my hair hates it, and I hate doing it. How long should I persist and hope things will improve?" I don't say never try new things, but pay attention to your own hair and your own likes and dislikes. Suffering is not a necessary part of the journey to long hair.

I'm dubious about treatments that claim to speed hair growth. And for myself, I'd worry about what essentials my body might be neglecting if it actually was pouring extra resources into hair-growth. Instead I opt for frequent updo's as part of a minimalist routine of gentle handling, to maximize the amount of hair I get to keep, plus a big dollop of this secret ingredient (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA).
:blossom:

lilelf
February 7th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Alas, for some of us (like me), this would kill our backs as well as our hair. OP, with any advice, remember that your results may be very different, and there is no duty to soldier on with something that is not working for you. I'm always amazed by posts saying "I've been doing such-and-such highly-recommended LHC-approved routine for six months, and my hair hates it, and I hate doing it. How long should I persist and hope things will improve?" I don't say never try new things, but pay attention to your own hair and your own likes and dislikes. Suffering is not a necessary part of the journey to long hair.

I'm dubious about treatments that claim to speed hair growth. And for myself, I'd worry about what essentials my body might be neglecting if it actually was pouring extra resources into hair-growth. Instead I opt for frequent updo's as part of a minimalist routine of gentle handling, to maximize the amount of hair I get to keep, plus a big dollop of this secret ingredient (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA).
I hereby nominate you, QMacrocarpa, for comment of the year. *ROTFLMAO*

MiamiPineapple
February 7th, 2015, 01:36 PM

This video has me cracking up!