PDA

View Full Version : Round brush curls?

aforestfae
February 5th, 2015, 01:24 PM
How do you do the round brush curling thing for blowouts?
Like this picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c7/a5/2e/c7a52e1b3419b8201be57731d57c4f58.jpg) and this picture (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/10/a5/50/10a5506295ff8795044eaa7f31f3ce91.jpg) I can never get my hair to curl/wave that way my hair just tangles into the brush (Nearly had to cut a chunk out once shudder:)
If there is a better way of getting the sleeker, shinier loose curls without heat or damage would be good.
Is it possible to create the look without big damage?

Anje
February 5th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Oh, pretty.... I've got no idea, though. I just know that you do NOT wind the brush up in your hair. LOL

schnibbles
February 5th, 2015, 01:51 PM
You might be able to get a look like that from a Caruso Steam setter. (uses hair friendly steam to curl the hair as opposed to a traditional hot roller)
Or maybe a sock bun overnight or something.

As far as the round brush with a hairdryer method...I damaged my hair for years doing that. I don't think it was so much the hairdryer (I mean, it was that too) but the mechanical damage from the brush, the pulling downward motions.. to get what she's got going on in those pics, my guess is someone was really working that hair around the brush. I felt my own hair wince when I opened the pic lol. :ponder:

aforestfae
February 5th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Oh, pretty.... I've got no idea, though. I just know that you do NOT wind the brush up in your hair. LOL

I learnt that the hard way...I nearly panicked when I realised that my hair was completely stuck, I had to slowly pull it out of the brush bit by bit cause it wouldn't unwind, completely jammed the brush which is supposed to rotate to prevent that, it would not have been a good look if I'd have had to cut it out

aforestfae
February 5th, 2015, 01:58 PM
You might be able to get a look like that from a Caruso Steam setter. (uses hair friendly steam to curl the hair as opposed to a traditional hot roller)
Or maybe a sock bun overnight or something.

As far as the round brush with a hairdryer method...I damaged my hair for years doing that. I don't think it was so much the hairdryer (I mean, it was that too) but the mechanical damage from the brush, the pulling downward motions.. to get what she's got going on in those pics, my guess is someone was really working that hair around the brush. I felt my own hair wince when I opened the pic lol. :ponder:

I've never tried the steam rollers, my hair hates holding curl, don't suppose there's anything about how well the curls hold up on very stubborn hair?

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Try doing two buns high up on your head, and dampen your hair lightly, sleep on it. By morning you should have comparable "curls". At least, that's what I think and what I'm hoping. ;)

Seeshami
February 5th, 2015, 03:39 PM
My hair couldn't curls if it wanted to.

The naughty mess says, "oh yes I can"

Shut it mess..... anyways his highness never wants to curl or hold a curl and unfortunately your hair might not be able hold curls

spidermom
February 5th, 2015, 03:45 PM
You could try making a ponytail on top of your head when your hair is very slightly damp. Use some sort of gel or setting lotion - sparingly. Very sparingly. Then roll the ends of your hair on large sponge rollers. Your hair will be curlier than that when you take it down the next morning (probably), but it will relax to something resembling your pictures.

By the way, when you sleep with curlers on top of your head like that, you have to be sure to position in such a way as the curlers are supported by a second pillow or something.

I've never seen curls like that done with a round brush alone. They usually use the kind of curling iron where you spiral the hair down the rod, but you don't clamp it; you slide the rod down.

yahirwaO.o
February 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM
This video may help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs91cEk1cU

This type of blow out curls are so difficult to do it yourself and very time consumin but the outcome is just more bouncy that other regular curling techniques. Pin curl clips help a lot.

I have done it to my mom sometimes, but its just easier and faster to stick to a regular iron.

As other have said, dont mess with the small round brush or otherwise its going to be an utter mess removing the tangles.

Or play it safe with loose rags or wide socks, caruso rollers, headband curls...... :cool:

CremeTron
February 5th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Small sections are key and dry the roots first by brushing downwards, before attempting to shape the section of hair by rolling it around the brush. Once the section is almost dry you can twist the brush.

To avoid damage.. I hear good things about sock bun curls.

ghost
February 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I had such a hard time doing round brush blowouts on myself when I was in cosmetology school :( Other people, sure, but on myself? Forget it!
Round brush blowouts do make your curls nice and frizz-free, but sock-bunned damp hair with a little serum left in gets similar results.

teddygirl
February 5th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I can get loose waves using a round brush, but not quite as curly as that.

I blow dry about 80%, and section it off. Then blow dry as usual with a round brush until 95% dry. Then use the brush to twist the hair like THIS (http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/62929/twisting_inline.jpg) (you just hook the brush on the end and twist your wrist, the hair is not twisted around the brush.) You could also just twist with your fingers. Hold the twist, and blast it with hair until its 99-100% dry. Continue on.

I use cold/warm heat, so probably why it doesnt curl quite as much. I'm sure if you used hotter heat to set the curls they would look more like your photos.

http://tinypic.com/r/24zxb1w/8 - This is what my hair looks like when I do it.

momschicklets
February 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM
My hair couldn't curls if it wanted to.

The naughty mess says, "oh yes I can"

Shut it mess..... anyways his highness never wants to curl or hold a curl and unfortunately your hair might not be able hold curls

You crack me up...I always laugh when I hear about the "naughty mess" :bounce:

HintOfMint
February 5th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Oh god, my old hairdresser would do curls on me using just a round brush and blowdryer. I chalk it up to hairdresser magic.

I would just do caruso rollers. Less effort and time.

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Round brushes like that are really terrible on my hair: they get stuck in it way too easily, like velcro, and my hair is way too long for this method anyway. Not to mention the damage from heat-styling.

What I use instead is wet-setting:
- either roller-setting in satin foam rollers (preferably on freshly washed and damp hair with a bit of oil or conditioner or flaxseed gel);
- or 2 or more cinnabuns till the hair is completely dry.

Damp-setting hair is the best hair-friendly styling method for curls/waves, IMHO, and it gives better results that hold longer than blow-outs.

MINAKO
February 6th, 2015, 03:09 AM
i would rather use a tourmaline curling wand at 180C then using a roundbrush and a blowdryer. i can only speak for myself, but mechanical damage occurs much earlier on my hair than heat damage does, plus it pulls out a good amount of extra hair, maybe not noticeable if done once or twice, but with time.
no bun but a sock bun can give you that type of curl, simply becauseof the way the hair can be twisted, it needs to be rolled up horizontally, not go around itself in a vertical way.
i would use self made sponge rollers, just cut a large carsponge in half so you have two long rectangles, roll hair onto it, bring the ends together and secure them with an elastic. it only takes about six of these, maybe less depending on legth and density.

allierat
February 6th, 2015, 03:25 AM
I can get my hair to look similar to your pictures by doing the following:
blow dry hair with head upside down until hair is about 80% dry
apply mousse through whole of hair
Put in large barrel rollers
Either wait for hair to dry naturally or blow dry until completely dry
Carefully unwind rollers, trying not to ruin or frizz the curl
Apply hairspray if needed
Use curling wand if necessary on some bottom parts to enhance the curl there.