PDA

View Full Version : New with questions

jmd1121
February 5th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Hey everyone! I've had an account here, but completely forgot about it until today!

I've seen a lot of people talking about seborrheic dermatitis, and I'm just curious about it. It seems like a lot of people have it, and I know I have always had dandruff issues (itchy scalp, white oily flakes, some oily scab things sometimes when I scratch too much...), but never realized it was a legit medical thing. I saw a lot of people suggesting different dandruff shampoos, but I hate using such harsh stuff on my head, and it burns my skin and eyes (fumes) when I do.
Right now, I'm using Dr Bronner's Peppermint castile soap a couple times a week, and a little bit of an argan oil mix whenever I brush. My hair has been so much healthier, longer, and full-bodied than it ever has, but it hasn't been doing much for my scalp. I recently started mixing in some tea tree and lavender oil into the soap, and it seems to work sometimes but not always.
Something else, I'm going to start headcovering, probably for Lent for sure (I'm Catholic, so it's somewhat of a religious thing, but also fashion and ease--it's easier to put my hair up and style a tichel than my hair, and much prettier). Will that help or make it worse? I know it's supposed to help my hair in general, since it will keep it from the weather.

I have hair slightly longer than my shoulders (the longest since high school, since it was always ugly and oily back then, and I'm lazy). I'm also interested in henna dye. I have a naturally light brown hair (I think, it hasn't been fully natural since high school, but I only dye once every like 6 months when I get bored), it's currently a kind of dark auburnish.

Any advice anyone has, is welcome. :)

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I strongly suggest you switch to something medicated, like Nizoral. And follow the instructions to a T. Don't go experimenting in between and stick to it for a number of weeks at the minimum!

Welcome! :)

Obsidian
February 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I also have seborrheic dermatitis and the thing thats really helped me is to keep conditioner/oils off my scalp. I've also switched from store bought shampoo to handmade shampoo bars, they clean gently without drying the skin.
I've not tried Nizoral myself but I do use a prescription shampoo when I have flares, its a huge help. The last year I have pretty much been symptom free.

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the LHC, jmd1121! :flowers:

I've seen a lot of people talking about seborrheic dermatitis, and I'm just curious about it. It seems like a lot of people have it, and I know I have always had dandruff issues (itchy scalp, white oily flakes, some oily scab things sometimes when I scratch too much...), but never realized it was a legit medical thing. I saw a lot of people suggesting different dandruff shampoos, but I hate using such harsh stuff on my head, and it burns my skin and eyes (fumes) when I do.

Hmm, what kind of dandruff shampoos did you use? There are multiple pathways to treating SD, and some people will need a combination of ingredients. The really smelly anti-dandruff ingredient is probably coal tar, which is somewhat effective, but there are other things you could use:
- Ketoconazole, e.g. Nizoral. More medicated shampoos have it. That's the pathway I would try first if you know you have an SD flare-up.
- Many anti-dandruff shampoos use the pathway of Zinc pyrithione, e.g. H&S, Pantene, GF and many other brands usually use this ingredient in their "anti-dandruff" shampoos.
- Some use Selenium sulfide, e.g. Selsun Blue.
- Many use Salicylic acid, e.g. SheaMoisture African Black Soap, Neutrogena T/Sal etc... Salicylic acid (BHA) is a great chemical exfoliant and perfect for treating inflammation.

And yes, there are some great natural ingredients that can provide some relief and help skin/scalp recover faster: aloe, neem, black seed, willow bark...
Neem is an excellent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial ingredient, so I recommend it to those who really dislike commercial anti-dandruff shampoos.
You could experiment with some neem-containing castile soap-based anti-dandruff shampoo, since you like Dr Bronner's (e.g. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo (http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Deep-Cleansing-Shampoo-_p_732.html), and there are lots of others).
Also, since you like argan oil, try to keep it off your scalp as much as possible, because argan oil contains a lot of oleic acid, which can feed Malassezia fungus, which is responsible for SD.

Something else, I'm going to start headcovering, probably for Lent for sure (I'm Catholic, so it's somewhat of a religious thing, but also fashion and ease--it's easier to put my hair up and style a tichel than my hair, and much prettier). Will that help or make it worse? I know it's supposed to help my hair in general, since it will keep it from the weather.
I don't think it should be a problem. I'd probably stick to natural fibers like silk and avoid covering too tightly to let scalp aerate a bit and avoid sweating. But covering hair is going to be pretty protective for hair length (hair can accumulate some damage from too much wind or "bleaching" UV rays).

I'm also interested in henna dye. I have a naturally light brown hair (I think, it hasn't been fully natural since high school, but I only dye once every like 6 months when I get bored), it's currently a kind of dark auburnish.
We have a lot of very interesting threads on Henna in the Recipes section of the LHC, so I'd recommend checking out that section. Just don't forget that henna is super-permanent and requires quite a bit of root upkeep (it's not as quick and easy to apply as dyes). I'd experiment with veggie dyes like Manic Panic, Directions, Adore or lots and lots of plants/herbs that give temporary red tint!
A super-detailed article on plant-based dyes by Nightshade: Hair Coloring with Herbs, Plants & Other Natural Ingredients - http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646
Ongoing Henna Thread, Take Two - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

spidermom
February 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
The ketoconazole shampoo that my doctor prescribed was the nicest stuff for my hair. It would come out soft and silky and without frizz. When the prescription ran out, I switched to Neutrogena T/Gel, a natural tea tree oil shampoo, and now Head and Shoulders Eucalyptus itchy scalp therapy.

My SD doesn't manifest as flakes. I get red, itchy bumps on my scalp from time to time.

jmd1121
February 5th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Thank you all for the responses. I just ordered the African Black shampoo. Hopefully that will help. :) Excited to be growing my hair out and in this community!

jmd1121
February 8th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I got my African Black Soap shampoo in the mail today. :) YAY