PDA

View Full Version : Static Hair??

snowyx
February 5th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Hello everyone,

Normally my hair is very well behaved. But for the past week or so, it has been incredible staticy! It is imposible for me to wear my hair down, and even in a braid the tassle flies up. I haven't made any changes at all to my routine. We got lots of snow a week ago, so maybe it's because of the cold and snow?

Should I try a chamomile rinse? Or do a deep conditioning treatment with conditioner and evoo?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Johannah
February 5th, 2015, 07:14 AM
What is your routine at this moment? :)

snowyx
February 5th, 2015, 07:20 AM
What is your routine at this moment? :)

I wash 2 times a week, before wash #1 I do coffee mixed with castor oil on scalp and olive oil on rest of hair. For wash #2 I do coffee on scalp and light oiling on the length with apricot oil/olive oil.

On wash #1 I use a sulphate shampoo and cone free condish, and on wash #2 I use sulphate free shampoo and usually do a deep treatment mask in the shower (french brand).

After I shower I let air dry for a little then comb with a wide tooth comb, apply coney serum and blow dry on cool. I don't wear my hair in my 2a waves, with the combing I can get it to a 1b. After blowdrying on cool I apply a tiny bit of apricot oil in ends and go to sleep on my satin pillowcase.

Thank you for helping!:flowers:

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Moisturizing it well enough is key, IMO. Ever since I've been WCC + LOC (see signature), I haven't had static in my hair (and this is *years* we're talking about here), and I do use bone and plastic combs and a plastic brush (Tangle Teezer) - if that has anything to do with it.

I am a heavy silicone user (just not in my shampoos).

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Yes, staticky hair is not moisturized/oiled enough for the current humidity/environment.

I'd up the oiling (pre-poo, leave-in, added to conditioner, oil rinses, etc...), use more occlusives (silicones, oils, butters, maybe even waxes, etc) and avoid static-inducing materials (plastic combs/brushes and clothing/bedding that gives you staticky hair). Be mindful of hair around flannel and wool - they can dry out, roughen up hair a bit, contributing to static.

I'd also use a humidifier if possible.

Try to keep hair up as much as possible; and if you use hats, warm scarves, line them with silky materials, if you can.

thirstylocks
February 5th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I agree with all the above posters. On a youtube channel called holistichabits, I heard that that wooden bristled brushes may reduce static as well. I have one but I've never experience any static issues so I cant speak to the effectiveness. I did see someone post something on this forum a few days ago saying the wooden brushes are worse for the static of her hair. though :/ If you have some extra money and would like to experiment, maybe you can try that.

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 10:47 AM
^ Yes, I don't know about specifically a wooden brush, but a wooden comb is quite effective for reducing static, compared to plastic ones. Wood is good for avoiding static. Horn/bone as well.

snowyx
February 5th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Yes, staticky hair is not moisturized/oiled enough for the current humidity/environment.

I'd up the oiling (pre-poo, leave-in, added to conditioner, oil rinses, etc...), use more occlusives (silicones, oils, butters, maybe even waxes, etc) and avoid static-inducing materials (plastic combs/brushes and clothing/bedding that gives you staticky hair). Be mindful of hair around flannel and wool - they can dry out, roughen up hair a bit, contributing to static.

Try to keep hair up as much as possible; and if you use hats, warm scarves, line them with silky materials, if you can.

Thank you For your tips! As for the oil, should I avoid coconut oil because of the protein? A week ago I did a cocnut oiling instead of regular evoo. Could this be one culprit?

snowyx
February 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM

Thank you For your tips! As for the oil, should I avoid coconut oil because of the protein? A week ago I did a cocnut oiling instead of regular evoo. Could this be one culprit?

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Coconut oil (or any other oil) is protein-free, so that's not a problem. However, some people's hair just doesn't work well with coconut oil, and coconut oil can definitely solidify in hair if it's too cold, making ends crunchy/stiff and even leave visible white flakes on hair when solid if used in big amounts. Make sure you aren't using too much.
*Any* hair-friendly oil or butter (shea, cocoa...) is going to be helpful against static, because oils are occlusives, but I'd particularly recommend the so-called "sealing" oils (which just sit on top of hair, coating it): mineral oil, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, etc. LOC method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH3T6fD1Cv4) (leave-in, oil, cream) post-wash is great for fighting static also because of this coating/sealing benefit (to "lock" moisture in hair).

teddygirl
February 5th, 2015, 07:53 PM
If its just temporary (do you get alot of snow?) it's probably the dry air. Anyways, I wouldn't bother changing your entire routine, but you can just use a dryer sheet. I usually just carry one around with me haha. Where I live it is ALWAYS dry, so it doesnt really matter how much I moisturize/humidify it's always static-ey.

Garnetgem
May 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Bumping an old thread to ask about static in hair....

is it normal to experience static in hair after clarifying? it seems to happen each time i do this...i have tried using conditioner afterwards to prevent it getting dry and i have tried it without conditioner too the results the same static flyaway hair and as its thick and long then yes you can imagine what it looks like!

i use Pantene its a clear one with a gold lid...any advice thanks :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2016, 05:59 AM
I used to have lots of static in my hair as a teen, lack of moisture and lots of crimping.

These days I practically overload my hair with moisture and I haven't had static in more than a decade! Truth!!! When you clarify, maybe do a CWC or WCC? Double condition or do a deep treatment or SMT. Anything to lock back in that moisture!