PDA

View Full Version : POST-Post Partum Hair Shed???

lilelf
February 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Hey gang, I will try to make this as short as possible: After my last baby (#4) was born 13 months ago, I suffered a rather extreme post-partum shed. No worries. I know this is fairly normal. What IS worrying me though is that all of the hairs that grew back are now FALLING OUT!!!! This has never happened to me before.Does anyone know what this could be??? Is there such a thing as post-post-partum hair shed??? I am getting quite concerned. My hair has become sooo thin and I was counting on those sweet little baby hairs to give me some much needed thickness. Any ideas would be so much appreciated!!!!
Thank you so much for any input in advance!!! And thank you for the patience with my terrible thread writing skills.
-lilelf

Rushli
February 4th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Did you stop breastfeeding in the last couple months? That can cause hormones to change and hormones can cause a shed. That is my only guess at the moment in keeping with the whole baby thing.

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
I don't know what specifically caused this, lilelf, but regardless, this is definitely reason enough to rush to the doctor and get blood-work tests done.

Wishing you a super-speedy recovery and great regrowth! :flowers:

Agnieszka
February 5th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Have you checked your iron levels?

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Yes, I was thinking towards a blood-panel as well as the previous poster.

lilelf
February 5th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Nope, still breastfeeding. :)

lilelf
February 5th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Thank you guys. I HAVE had low iron in the past, so it could be that. I will start taking a low dose again and see if it helps. It is just so strange. The only hairs I seem to be losing are the new ones!!! I know it is the new ones, and not breakage because of length and color. Growing out henna and the lost hairs are all healthy and blonde.

Anje
February 5th, 2015, 08:42 AM
IMO, you'd do better to get the bloodwork checked before starting dosing iron. It can be toxic if you get too much, AND you're breastfeeding.

Valkyriejae
February 5th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I agree about the blood work and definitely ask for a full panel, especially since there could be an issue other than low iron; there are several vitamin deficiencies that can cause hair loss as well as hormone changes or other conditions. My mom developed hypothyroidism while she was pregnant with me, and didn't really notice the symptoms until a while after I was born...

lilelf
February 5th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Will do, thank you again.

lilelf
February 5th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Anje, yes, I do know this about iron. I have been diagnosed with anemia, so only planning on taking my recommended dosage. I had stopped and it didn't even occur to me that this could be the reason. Fibro-brain/ destructive toddler makes remembering these simple things difficult. Lol.

mamaherrera
February 5th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Are they just from the hairline/temples or all over?? Because I too, after baby, I noticed lots of "baby" growth in my temples, because they came down onto my forehead, but now, months later, those hairs are still only 2 inches, so what I figured, is that it's something I just never noticed before, and those hairs must just shed out every four months or so and only grow like two inches, because they're always small there, and i do shed some "little baby hairs" every day, so they must come from there. And they're not just at the hairline, they are inside a bit the temple area.

luvlonghair75
February 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM
It's probably a mix of iron levels, low estrogen and stress with it being baby #4! Congrats! I've had 3 myself. Try not to worry too much, after breastfeeding your new hair will come back and things will straighten itself out again. Have you had a low supply in breastfeeding? I just read alot about how fenugreek supplements can help AND it helps to promote hair growth! But, as always if you add any supplement, be sure to check with the doc first to be safe for you and baby. :)

lilelf
February 6th, 2015, 07:51 AM
It is all over. Strange right. I wouldn't doubt it IS a low estrogen problem, too. I am nearly 40. I love fenugreek tea. My lo is satisfied after feeding, and eats as much food as a toddler. He is a piggy. Lol. And yes, doc is fine with the tea, thankfully. Been drinking it for months. I did not know that about it though. very interesting. You guys are so helpful. Thank you!!!