PDA

View Full Version : Using toners?

Obsidian
February 4th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Does anyone use blue or lavender based tones on natural colored hair? How is the color? I've been thinking about using a lavender toner to try and make my hair silvery.

divinedobbie
February 4th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I've used manic panic blue dye to tone my hair when it was bleached. It worked well but also tinted my hair a little green. Currently I've been using Adore dye in a ashy shade and it's made a huge difference.

Seeshami
February 6th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I used lavender mp after bleach as well. Later i used an ash blonde to try and get close to natural and now i am growing out

JellyBene
February 6th, 2015, 09:26 AM
What is your starting color? If you're blonde a lavander toner will give you a cooler/neutral blonde and will cancel out yellow or brassy tones. However, if you have dark hair it really won't do much. You could also look into using a purple shampoo or conditioner, this will give you the same effect but may be easier to use and it would obviously give you more uses than a toner which can only be used once. The effects of most toners (depending on hoe often you wash and what you use) only last 3-4 weeks at most.

ositarosita
February 6th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I use mani panic virgin snow on my natural blonette and my current growing out colour .. just shampoo the night before (clarify or chelate) let your hair dry over night then apply the manic panic virgin snow to dry hair, saturate and youll know you put in enough because it kinda bubbles... My hair is a natural silver/ grey blonette with natural platinum highlights.. the manic panic removes all gold tones for my hair and makes it a REALLY beautiful silver.. it just accentuates my natural hair colour. I like the silver tones not the gold tones...

I found silver shampoo and conditioners didn't do much, if anything. It all depends on how light your natural colour is.. ill see if i can find a pic of my hair colour so you have a reference point

https://a248.e.akamai.net/media.pinterest.com.s3.amazonaws.com/236x/29/ab/41/29ab41b985a55e36d88feccfbd22b46f.jpg

That's about my hair colour and the manic panic does make it silvery-er
(that is not me just a pic i found on google who's hair colour closely resembles mine)

chebella
February 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM
When I wanted to tone my hair back when I wasn't allergic to PPD's, I used a very small amount of purple/blue semi-permanent hair dye that didn't bleed and I mixed it with a lot of conditioner. I mixed it so it was a pastel color, applied it from roots to tips, let it sit for 15 minutes, then washed it. That's how I got my hair white. A lot of toners are kind of expensive and this was pretty cheap because the tubes of color I used for it lasted forever, like I had to throw them out before they were used up because they lasted so long and you don't want to use old dye. The dye I used was called Ion Color Brilliance Brights Semi-Permanent and you can mix it with whatever conditioner but preferably white so you have an idea of the color you'll be getting.