PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found! An EXCELLENT headwrapping tutorial!

CurlyCap
February 4th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Hiya folks,

If you follow my posts, then you know that I'm obsessed with my hair bonnet and wish I could wear it everywhere. But I can't. Reality and society won't let me. So boo.

I've also always thought about headwraps, but they were VERY intimidating to me. What cloth to use? How much cloth do I need? What/how/when...is it hard?

This lady has put together a tutorial of 4 common head wraps and she demonstrates using a pashmina (large fashionable scarf that lots of women own). I've tried all four after seeing her video and they were super easy to replicate!

I'm so happy! She's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkObUyrcuIs

mz_butterfly
February 4th, 2015, 10:04 PM
That's a very good video. I have watched a lot of them because I bought some really pretty Pashminas and wanted to learn how to wrap my hair.

I bought a couple of these for a couple bucks each including shipping. I think I got a red and a blue one. They take awhile to come from China but they're gorgeous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Style-Double-Side-Butterfly-Chinese-Lady-Pashmina-Shawl-Scarf-Wrap-Sky-Blue-/151578446780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item234ac78bbc

And who cares about society, wear your bonnet 24/7 and to hell with society! ;)

The shawls I linked earlier start off with low bids, I got them for 2 or 3 bucks each but you can buy them straight out for under $7 each including shipping. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Lady-Women-Pashmina-Silk-Shawl-Scarf-Wrap-With-Butterfly-Multi-Color/251667295133?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D99ef6c85a39345628a6 d2384b1c3163d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D151578446780&rt=nc

CurlyCap
February 4th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Well, I loved the pashmina start because I have tons of pashminas but no "head scarves". I have a couple of silk scarves but nothing large enough for a headwrap.

mz_butterfly
February 4th, 2015, 11:31 PM
The ones I posted are large, you can actually use them as a shawl. I think it's about 3 feet wide by 4 feet long (give or take) There are a lot of deals like that on ebay. They usually state the size in centimeters but you can figure out inches/feet by searching.

I love the way women look in head wraps. It's just lovely. I however, look like a potato head with my head wrapped. Or I am just too critical.

veryhairyfairy
February 8th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Oh I'm such a fan of head wraps, thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:

I'm going to try a few of these soon (and maybe post pics) as I just picked up a nice pashmina for scarfing!

spidermom
February 8th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I like to do head wraps in the summer to protect from the sun.

sophiamermaid
February 8th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Oooooooo ooooooooooooo ooooo, yes! Gorgeous! Headwraps are striking! I foolishly gave away my collection when I did a cross-country move a few years ago and was in MAJOR PURGE mode... DUMMY! Ah, well, back to Cairo's markets with me! :D (Yeah, that's not gonna happen for a while. Sigh.)

Just DO IT! Maybe start with brief stints if it's daunting? That's what I did with saris. Be your gorgeous self and have fun with it!

-Fern
February 8th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I'm crazy about pashminas, and during the winter I usually go for a semi-hijab look just to keep my neck warm, but I also love this tutorial for more of a modern chic turban:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sNoD3116r0

CousinItt
February 8th, 2015, 11:43 PM
I LOVE these head wraps in both videos, but I'm afraid I don't have the confidence to wear them. One of the biggest problems I have is that my head is a darned slip'n'slide. I can't even keep a normal headband anywhere close to position, and my buffs slink right off. I've just stopped wearing anything cloth on my head. How does one keep these in place? Is there some secret I don't know, or is my head just weirdly fabric repellant?

hennalonghair
February 9th, 2015, 02:08 AM
The ones I posted are large, you can actually use them as a shawl. I think it's about 3 feet wide by 4 feet long (give or take) There are a lot of deals like that on ebay. They usually state the size in centimeters but you can figure out inches/feet by searching.

I love the way women look in head wraps. It's just lovely. I however, look like a potato head with my head wrapped. Or I am just too critical.those are gorgeous head wraps. I also like to protect my hair in the summertime but don't quite fancy hats. These are both beautiful and reasonably priced. Nice!

-Fern
February 11th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I LOVE these head wraps in both videos, but I'm afraid I don't have the confidence to wear them. One of the biggest problems I have is that my head is a darned slip'n'slide. I can't even keep a normal headband anywhere close to position, and my buffs slink right off. I've just stopped wearing anything cloth on my head. How does one keep these in place? Is there some secret I don't know, or is my head just weirdly fabric repellant?

Actually, yes! I wound up watching a lot of her other videos, and she swears by using a velvet headband like these to keep everything in place:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/101584516/non-slip-headband-head-band-hair-band?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=accessories-hair-headband-low&ione_adtype=pla&ione_creative=54864447035&ione_product_id=101584516&ione_product_partition_id=89246487635&ione_store_code=&ione_device=c&ione_product_channel=online&ione_merchant_id=101363689&ione_product_country=US&ione_product_language=en&gclid=CKvi9fO228MCFQenaQod97QAYA

When the velvet is facing the right way, it grabs anything trying to go the other direction and slip off. ^_^

CousinItt
February 11th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the info and link -Fern. I'll have to give a velvet headband a try.