PDA

View Full Version : Hip, edgy styles for waist length hair?

sneakybea
September 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hey all. This is the first thread I have started in recent memory, so please be gentle!
I have waist length hair and have had long hair for many years. I know how to do a lot of styles that are romantic and pretty, suitable for my usual floaty dresses and velvet, or classic and simple, appropriate for work. However, some days when I'm going out dancing, or hanging with friends, I'm looking for hairstyles (either up or down) that are more trendy or edgy looking. I'm thinking of the sort of style that might work well for clubbing, or might compliment jeans and a sexy top. We all know that long hair is versatile; any suggestions for those times I don't want to look like a faery princess (as rare as they are?).
I welcome all your suggestions!
Sneakybea

saoriiroas
September 29th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I have always wanted to try a long-hair faux-hawk but my hair is just a little too short to get the effect I want. I got the idea from Shalom Harlow's "punk" look in Kevyn Aucion's Making Faces book. Just pull your hair up into a line of ponytails starting at the forehead line and going back to the nape of the neck. You could braid each ponytail or maybe french braid into a few ponytails (if you know how to) that fall over each other (leave the ends loose) for a softer, sleek look that will give you the volume that is fashionable nowayadays, you could do two ponytails next to each other on the mohwak line, or have a zig-zag pattern part separating each ponytail/braid etc. Braiding would be a good style if you were going to a music festival or a night out dancing, as it will keep your hair from tangling up and otherwise becoming a mess. Use a crazy eyeshadow color..you know, the one you hardly use...

You could also pull an Angelina Jolie/Beowulf braid, just put it high up on the crown, and a smoky eye... I would go with a sexy black outfit with this one.

Have fun with you hair, especially when you are young.

spidermom
September 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/dreadhawk4.jpg
This is something like saoriiroas was describing above, I think.

Sherri
September 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Spidermom are your direction for that hairstyle still on the old boards or have they been moved over here?

Katze
September 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I like the really messy look of having my hair just sort of "piled" at the back of my head, held with a Ficcare or claw clip, then the front parts slicked into place with a headband or. It might not be the "hip, edgy" you're looking for but for me it always makes me feel younger and more feminine. My hair is only 2-3 inches away from waist (hooray, extremely short torso) and I can picture this working on me for a while yet.

This link: http://stylebell.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/celeb-style-heabands-in-hollywood/

has some headband ideas - really only the first two "slides" picture what I am talking about.

I think this is a description of something similar: http://www.ehow.com/how_4485314_make-cool-hairdo.html

This might end up like a peacock twist with a headband if done a certain way.

Similar things are possible with messy braids or messy buns and a headband.

hth!

AutumnLeaves
September 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Katze, I cannot believe how long your hair has gotten since I last found one of your posts. Your hair looks lovely!

Since I've never had this kind of hair, to me a sexy, edgy look for going out in the evening is to wear it down and straight!

eyesofsummer
September 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I think wearing hair half-up half-down is fun for going out! You can dress up a bit with a fun clip, and having part of it up allows the front bits that usually 'get in the way' to be pinned back. I have a few short, wispy pieces near my front hairline, and leaving them floating free instead of pinning them back softens the look.

spidermom
September 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Spidermom are your direction for that hairstyle still on the old boards or have they been moved over here?

I think those directions got left behind on the old boards.

Amara
September 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Down doesn't work too well if you're going dancing - that's just tears and curses for later.
I like doing any one of the partial buns-into a ponytail thing. I've seen figure 8 ponies, cinnabun ponies, etc. You might experiment with those.

sneakybea
September 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; keep 'em coming! I really like that picture Spidermom shared, and can probably figure out how to do it even if the instructions are missing. I think it would be cool (both figuratively and literally) for dancing!

Tangles
September 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Anything that adds volume to the crown will take away from the faery princess thing and make you look more lively. I'd suggest doing a poof on top, a super high ponytail with a headband, or maybe foam rollers to make smooth, pretty curls. Also, if you have a fringe, gently straighten just that part--adds a more modern look.

spidermom
September 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; keep 'em coming! I really like that picture Spidermom shared, and can probably figure out how to do it even if the instructions are missing. I think it would be cool (both figuratively and literally) for dancing!

It's really easy: simple, 3-strand braids, one right after the other in a straight line going down the middle of my head. I've got the very front braid pinned back with a tiny claw clip so it doesn't flop into my face.

sky
October 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Now, we want to see some pictures, missy! :lol:

sky

Amoretti
October 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM
Tie a knotted pony on your crown and pin it into place. That looks trendy but still shows off some length.

arylkin
October 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Tie a knotted pony on your crown and pin it into place. That looks trendy but still shows off some length.

I was going to suggest this too. Also, I think updos secured with hairsticks look especially cool and non-fairy-princess-esque... A log roll with hair sticks or even a lazy bun would fit the style you're looking for IMHO.

Also, a high ponytail braid (or braids like this (http://images7.fotki.com/v118/photos/1/174575/1426345/Picture113-vi.jpg)) would look good.

GlassEyes
October 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM

That is so freaking cool. o-o

gallows_gallery
October 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
I also have waist length hair.

When I go out I usually just have it out, long silky and straight. But if you can't be bothered, my only suggestion is a half-out style I did ages ago for a ****** ball.

Using a fine-tooth comb or fine brush, slick the hair on the sides of your head to the back. I.e. comb from your ear to about 2 inches above your ear 2/3 of the way to the back of your head (as if pulling it in to a pny tail) but pin it there with a bobby pin. Then pull any fringe/face bits out at the front, and lightly mist the hair that flows over the top with some hair spray. It will look like a long waterfall of hair at the back.

If you have a fringe, you can pull it out, or, you can "puff" up the front with another bobby pin into a little quiff. You can also cross the strands from either side OVER one another at thaw back, and pin them on the OPPOSITE side. This makes no sense...

This is the closest photo I can find, unfortunately she looks like a total skank. Imagine this but not as puffy and riddiculous...more sleek and water-fall-ish; more elegant:

http://www.headkandy.com/documents/paris_mo.jpg

gallows_gallery
October 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I found the photo of my hair from that night!

Photobucket won't let me load it - I've put it in my "black hair" album for you. It's the one with super increased birghtess and contrast (so you can actually see the style) - I'm wearing a chinese dress.

Chromis
October 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
High ponytails with some bright coloured hairfalls might be a fun night out style

dorothea-brooke
October 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM

Wait -- this sounds intriguing but I can't picture it! Can you explain, or link to a pic (Amoretti or anyone)?

Thanks! :flower:

danacc
October 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Wait -- this sounds intriguing but I can't picture it! Can you explain, or link to a pic (Amoretti or anyone)?

Thanks! :flower:

Here you go: http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-knot/default.asp

danacc
October 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
(Note: I don't secure the ponytail with a band before knotting my hair the way the instructions show it in the link above.)

Fantak
November 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I was just about to say that yesterday I saw a member hair pic with a bun and a pony tail coming out the middle! I never thought I'd be able to make it work (hopeless with hair styles) but the instructions actually look quite easy. Thanks for the link danacc!

Hm.. do you mind if I ask how you keep the bun secure without the banded ponytail? :/

Ty ^.^

GibsonGirlV
November 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
When I had waist length hair and wanted to look edgier sometimes I'd give myself some volume at the crown then put my hair in a high pony. Another thing i'd do is wear it down in messy waves with a lot of volume, maybe a braid thrown in. Serena Vanderwoodson in Gossip Girl is a perfect example (her hair actually looks exactly like mine used to). If you do a search I'm sure you'll find a lot of good picture ideas.

helen2806
November 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
my hair's not as long as yours, but my suggestion is quiffing the front, or pinning the front sections back with blending grips (sort of like several mini quiffs but not puffing them up) - it makes it look a bit like you're wearing an alice band even though you aren't, I quite often do this for nights out because it keeps your hair out of your face nicely Xxx

helen2806
November 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
oh also, french plaiting the front section either across from about mid way through your eyebrow to the opposite ear (so it frames your face)

Boots
November 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
When I had waist length hair and wanted to look edgier sometimes I'd give myself some volume at the crown then put my hair in a high pony. Another thing i'd do is wear it down in messy waves with a lot of volume, maybe a braid thrown in. Serena Vanderwoodson in Gossip Girl is a perfect example (her hair actually looks exactly like mine used to). If you do a search I'm sure you'll find a lot of good picture ideas.

Lucky you! The girls on that show have beautiful hair. Love to watch for their styles and makeup.

Boots
November 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I agree with the quiff; I do that to edge up a pony or twist. Also I'll do twisties in front secured with bobby pins that blend with my hair so they don't look juvenile. That keeps the sleek look if I'm pulling it back but keeps it from being frumpy.

Magdalene
November 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Here's what I did for a recent show (the flash really pics up which hair is really mine!)

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/MrsQtoU/Show%20Photos/Jesus%20Christ%20Superstar/webjcs.jpg

sn0w
November 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
how bout this one i randomly came up with the other day:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15163

i guess it sort of edgy with the whole mohawk and fauxhawk craze.

you could also put some accessories in to it i guess:p

nimeera
November 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Sometimes for fun I like to put a ponytail on top of my head, braid it, then cover the elastic on top with a scrunchie. You can also put a scrunchie at the end of the braid, but I leave it plain (I can braid my hair and not use an elastic at the end, it will stay).

Having a braid from the top of the head rather than a pony tail is really fun, and keeps it mostly from getting in my eyes.