PDA

View Full Version : Updos with few or no accessories?

georgia_peach
February 3rd, 2015, 05:11 AM
I love a new hair accessory. I love everything about it. The thrill of the hunt and stalking the mail carrier. But as my hair actually gets long enough to start using some of my new pretties, I'm running into snags that have got me wondering. Is there another way to create updo's? A way that involves very few accessories or maybe none? Something that would give a more minimal, clean look and save my wallet, too (truth be told).

Are there any longhairs here who have gone this minimal route with styling?

I put this post here rather than the accessories thread since it's kind of *anti-accessory*. But, Mods, please move it to wherever is best.

Caraid♫
February 3rd, 2015, 05:23 AM
I usually do wear my toys and accessories, but the one hairdo I prefer to do with only bobby pins are braided buns and heidi braid(s) (when I wrap my braid around my head). I find I can lay the braid out more perfectly and pin it exactly in place with bobby pins keeping them hidden under the braid, whereas when I try to stick a fork in a braided bun it will somewhat distort my braid and make it all ugly and lumpy. Also you can just wear your hair in regular english braids or french braids (or any type of braid!) if you're looking for accessory free hair do's.
You can also do basically any buns with bobby pins or spin pins, it's just a bit more work since it tends to take a lot of pins, but sometimes I'll do it anyway if I want a "cleaner" unaccesorized look.

Yozhik
February 3rd, 2015, 05:36 AM
Aha! There are a couple of updos I adore that require no hairtoys whatsoever! :)
However, they may have to wait until your hair is a bit longer. My favorites include the knot bun and the nautilus bun, which basically are held in place by your own hair.

Other than that - um, tucked French braids would probably be great at your length, and would probably require only a pin or two, depending on your hair's slipperiness. Lazy wrap buns also require only a single stick, but they may also have to wait til longer lengths.

HTH! :flower:

darklyndsea
February 3rd, 2015, 06:33 AM
For most (all?) hairstyles, it's not necessary to use any fancy accessories. A plain, cheap stick will work the same as a fancy expensive one. Aside from center-held buns, most hairstyles can be made with hair pins or spin pins. There are a number of braided hairstyles which hold themselves up (though usually a pin is used on the braid tail)--Amish braids, the Elling Woman bun, and crown braid are a few of those.

LongCurlyTress
February 3rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
Well georgia_peach! I am so happy that you posted this thread to know that I am not alone with boycotting the need to purchase more and more hairtoys!! I have a few acrylics for damp bunning, and one 3 prong hairfork which I never use, and a few fancy hairsticks made from wood. I think that covers the different types of hairtoys that I will ever use. I mean, without sounding bitter, how many hairtoys does one NEED AND can USE at once? At one point, I had close to $500 worth of hairtoys but I have sold most of them. I still have close to $150 worth with keeping my favorites. Anyways, I love my simple amish crinkly 3 inch hairpins from Mennonite Maidens and my Dh just made me a hairstick from an oak tree branch from our yard. Plus, my real go to hairtoys especially for damp bunning are my plastic claw clips. Shhhhh... don't tell anybody!! LOL!! ;) I am sure there are more who don't "buy" into the "I-need-more- and- more- and -more -hairtoys" mentality. We just need to speak up so others don't feel so alone like there is something wrong with them for using some common sense. ;) Cheers!!! ;):happydance:

I mean, please don't get me wrong. I love looking at hairtoys and admiring them as if I am in an art gallery, where you look at the pretty, interesting pieces of artwork, but would never purchase something, at least I wouldn't. I mean how much "stuff" does one need? :shrug:

Anyways, I like Caraid's braiding ideas with pins. Well, thanks again for speaking up on this topic. I am sure more people will agree with you than not. ;)

midnight_blue
February 3rd, 2015, 06:50 AM
I find spin pins are the best accessory for updos without toys, they hold my hair really well and I can do a variety of braided and bun styles with them. I also get a good hold regardless of when I last washed my hair. I find them easier and less fiddly than using hundreds of bobby pins, half the time two spin pins will do the same job and hold for longer.

Madora
February 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
If you know how to use crimped hairpins, and how to section your hair, you can do several hairstyles. There's the Jaime Leigh, cinnamon buns, Flutterby, Cameo, Heidi braids, crown braids, lace accent braids, twisted accent rope crown..and on and on.

Carolyn
February 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
I can do a lot of buns with Spin Pins or Amish pins. I'm a more is more kind of girl who loves her hair toys so it's pointless for me to even try :silly:

SThr
February 3rd, 2015, 08:11 AM
My go-to style is a nautilus bun with nothing but hair holding it up. When I do accent braids I normally leave the ends undone, even if they're rope braids I just braid the end with a plain 3 strand english braid and it'll stay pretty well. I often do accent braids and then bun my hair, so I'll have a ton of loose end braids going up into a pinless bun. I like the look of hair sticks, and I even make them sometimes, but I don't often end up using them, exactly the same with all the jewelry I make.

Islandgrrl
February 3rd, 2015, 08:13 AM
I used to be able to do a knot kind of bun that would stay up on its own, but I have too much hair now (I know, such a problem). It won't stay up on its own anymore. Amish pins work, but I have to use a lot of them and they have to be the crimped kind - the straight ones slide out.

Now that I think about it, the only bun I can do that is sort of unaccessorized is a sock bun (if you don't count the sock). I can make that work.

Madora
February 3rd, 2015, 08:29 AM
I love a new hair accessory. I love everything about it. The thrill of the hunt and stalking the mail carrier. But as my hair actually gets long enough to start using some of my new pretties, I'm running into snags that have got me wondering. Is there another way to create updo's? A way that involves very few accessories or maybe none? Something that would give a more minimal, clean look and save my wallet, too (truth be told).

Are there any longhairs here who have gone this minimal route with styling?

I put this post here rather than the accessories thread since it's kind of *anti-accessory*. But, Mods, please move it to wherever is best.

What do you mean "I'm running into snags that have got me wondering"? Perhaps if you could explain more fully someone might be able to suggest a fix. Also, shorter hair is a lot harder to style w/o the help of some kind of accessory. You might try an inverted lace braid around your head.

Nadine <3
February 3rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
I'm really glad this thread exists. I've been here for over a year, and I feel a bit like an oddball, because I have yet to buy ANY fancy hairtoy. The only thing I bothered to buy where spin pins. Sticks, forks, and all the other toys are great but SOOOO expensive, and I just can't afford them. I've bought some wooden dowels so I can make some, now that my hair is long enough for a stick. One dowel makes me 7 hair sticks and I only paid 2 dollars for it, so...

Anyways, I still love a bunned dutch braid. Mine stays put with 2 spin pins :)

MINAKO
February 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
doesnt work for me, my hair is just to heavy. if i try to secure a bun with bobby pins it will bend all of them and escape after half an hour at most. the only thing i can do without any accessories is simply tie a knot in my hair. im trying to avoid any kind of elastics, so i deperately need at lest onesturdy stick to keep it up.

Anje
February 3rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
I'm semi-minimalist (does that count as a thing?) in my styling. If it takes more than one item to hold my hair up, I'm not likely to do it regularly.

I can do a couple buns with nothing but hair holding them, but they'd probably take waist+ to do on hair my thickness (less than 3" circumference) and more length than that if your hair's on the thick side. Moreover, I find that sometimes they'll stay and sometimes I can't get the tension right, or I'm moving too much, or the collar of my winter coat touched it and made it fall apart -- they're not sufficiently reliable for me to opt for these over more secure buns that actually have an implement holding them together.

Amish pins are great at hiding in a bun and holding it firmly. Sometimes I'll add one decorative pin with one pearl bead on it, nestled somewhere in the bun, if I want it to feel fancy and elegant. Usually, though, I don't go this route because it requires several pins and that's more than one. XD Bobby pins and those flimsy U-shaped hairpins you can get in normal stores are totally no-go. They're just not suited to holding significant quantities of hair. My hair's not particularly thick or long by LHC standards, but I can't use such things without them bending out of shape just from the weight!

So usually, I'm reaching for a single un-topped hairstick, single fairly plain wood hairfork, or a Ficcare. The Ficcares are flashy or bold, but they're the most resistant to my winter coat's efforts to thwart my styling, so they get a lot of use in winter. I tend to default to buns of the center-held variety (i.e. my hands make a Lazy Wrap bun if I'm not actively thinking about doing something else) which all hold really well with just one implement.

neko_kawaii
February 3rd, 2015, 11:42 AM
If you don't want the appearance of anything holding up your hair, I highly recommend spin pins. They hold well, don't deform over time, and rarely slip out like bobbys. Many buns can be held in place with two or three spin pins. One of my favorite I-need-this-to-hold-all-day-without-fuss styles is interlaced braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M). My favorite bun is Spidermom's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU) which is held with just one stick and the stick needn't draw attention to itself.

LongCurlyTress
February 3rd, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'm really glad this thread exists. I've been here for over a year, and I feel a bit like an oddball, because I have yet to buy ANY fancy hairtoy. The only thing I bothered to buy where spin pins. Sticks, forks, and all the other toys are great but SOOOO expensive, and I just can't afford them. I've bought some wooden dowels so I can make some, now that my hair is long enough for a stick. One dowel makes me 7 hair sticks and I only paid 2 dollars for it, so...

Anyways, I still love a bunned dutch braid. Mine stays put with 2 spin pins :)

Hi Nadine<3!! I love your self-made hairstick made from a $2 dowel!! That is fantastic!! Congrats on finding a very economical way to make hairtoys. I made some hairsticks using Crayola colored pencils, the thick ones, and just sharpened the pointy tip and then filed down the tip and made sure to sand down the wooden tip around the point. Then all I did was use dark brown enamel shiny nailpolish on them, stood them up in a paper cup to dry, and then I touched up the parts that leaned against the cup while drying. I did this maybe 3 times until the final coat of polish dried. Then I used a sparkly gold-flake top coat on the flat unsharpened end about two inches down the colored pencil to make it a bit decorative. Easy!! It looks like you can use enamel nailpolish on your dowels too! Ross sells some great nailpolishes, several colors to a pack also for not too expensive. Have fun! :magic:

gthlvrmx
February 3rd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Spin pins! They're great for many buns and hold like a rock! I love them, they even hold well while I go running or exercise! :)

meteor
February 3rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
Yay! Interesting thread!
Haven't read all the answers, so apologies if I'm repeating some ideas.
Georgia_peach, are you at shoulder-length at the moment? At that length, I think hair-toys aren't super-useful anyway.
I can think of variations of crown braids and peacock twists as an effective way of holding shorter hair up, and crown braids don't utilize hair-toys, while peacock twists seem to work best with simple claw-clips. I like the Goody ones, for like a dollar, like these (http://www.soap.com/p/goody-half-moon-claw-clip-36559), that open like a C and have a strong spring. Even JJJ (LadyLongLocks) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qQP50kNpO4) and many other super-long-hairs get claw-clips to hold up their amazing, glorious manes.

I don't know if this pinless bun will work for you, but it worked for me very well when I was around APL-BSL (later, it got too heavy):
- twist your hair like you want to do a peacock twist or a cinnabun;
- get a section/strand of some scalp hair, loosen it a bit with your fingers;
- slide your bun/glob of twisted hair under that hair.
And I found a video that shows this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNlbk8pgBJ8

For much longer and curly/textured hair, knot buns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE) and nautilus buns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkg9TJDrL4) should hold without ties.
Simplified Elling woman bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_biroGTJ7A) and Amish braided bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g) or this comfortable work updo by Panspage / lovely LHC-member Pantha (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_biroGTJ7A) are super-sturdy and use no hair-toys, only a pin here and there. Braided tucks and the Masara (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k)/ Antenna braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M_oSwRKfc) should work as well, if you know how to French/Dutch braid.

And don't forget crown braids and things that use a ribbon/scarf in lieu of pins like hair-taping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjc4GJGUZBM or Frida Kahlo braids (milkmaid braids + scarf): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxltmgagKeg

Crimped U-pins, claw-clips, chopsticks, pencils... can all be used to create styles, depending on how long your hair is and the style you are going for.
You can also make excellent U-pins (which will be much sturdier than any wavy/crimped U-pins they sell in department stores) by bending knitting needles (and decorating them with beads if you are into that).

georgia_peach
February 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
You guys are so awesome and helpful. Every single one of you! :flower:

It sounds like I need to seriously brush up on my braiding skills and maybe get a few spin pins. I've had breakage with bobbies and have never tried spin pins, but I'm willing to give them a shot. So many great braiding suggestions here. With my shorter lengths, I think that will be the way to go.

Madora, you asked about the *snags* I was having with my hair toys. The two main ones are that anything with hinges (my small ficcares, especially) hold great but ALWAYS catch and break several hairs in the hinges no matter how careful I am. And I've collected some lovely wooden hair forks, but it seems the tines are so thick that I can hear hairs snapping when I put the forks in. Again, I take it really slow and careful when I'm using hair accessories. But my hair is fine and floaty. Maybe that's part of the problem.

I'm really attracted to the idea of braiding and I think I can adapt it well to my hair now (shorter) and later (longer). LongCurlyTress, I agree with your thoughts on sheer quantity of hair toys. I guess part of me is just surprised at how addictive hair toy collecting can be. shudder: I'm a minimalist in most areas of my life, Anje. So I accept the idea of a semi-minimalist! ;)

Do the spin pin users agree that it doesn't take too many to hold an updo? And do the braiders mostly use bobby pins or crimp pins? Do you need really thick hair for crimp pins? They seem so wide.

georgia_peach
February 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all those resources, Meteor. Tutorials..yay!!! My hair is actually upper back length now. It's 21 inches long which is about 2 inches from APL on me.

Anyways, I still love a bunned dutch braid. Mine stays put with 2 spin pins :) Okay, so it doesn't take many of those spin pins at all. Yay! I read more closely and see that several of you have said this.

If you don't want the appearance of anything holding up your hair, I highly recommend spin pins. They hold well, don't deform over time, and rarely slip out like bobbys. Many buns can be held in place with two or three spin pins. One of my favorite I-need-this-to-hold-all-day-without-fuss styles is interlaced braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M). My favorite bun is Spidermom's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU) which is held with just one stick and the stick needn't draw attention to itself. Great videos!! :)

Madora
February 3rd, 2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Georgia_peach. Yes, hair snagging would get on my last nerve too! From time to time I had that trouble with French clasp barrettes.

As far as braids are concerned, I suggest crimped hairpins because they are strong yet lightweight, easy to insert/take out. Using bobby pins is an exercise in frustration because a bobby pin is only meant to hold very SMALL amounts of hair. Also, putting them in gently takes tons of patience and taking them out can cause breakage if you don't do it slowly. Crimped hairpins come in a variety of sizes. I use 3 inch ones most of the time. Once in a while I use two inch ones when I have a very small amount of hair that I want to tack down. You can buy them at Sally's Beauty supply. Brand is Sta-Rite (25 3 inch crimped hairpins) Item No. 2101. Website for the Sta-Rite company: www.sta-riteginnielou.com

georgia_peach
February 3rd, 2015, 04:35 PM
Thank you, Madora. I was just watching some youtube videos on braided updos. I think the crimp pins you linked will work well for securing the ends of the braids once I tuck them under. And your bobby pin explanation really helps. I can see now that I was trying to hold up way too much hair with them and would crisscross the pins to get better hold. No wonder I had so much breakage with them!

meteor
February 3rd, 2015, 04:38 PM
When I do accent braids I normally leave the ends undone, even if they're rope braids I just braid the end with a plain 3 strand english braid and it'll stay pretty well. I often do accent braids and then bun my hair, so I'll have a ton of loose end braids going up into a pinless bun.

:hifive: I do this all the time, too! :D
I don't know why some people even bother to tie off braids that go into a bun anyway? Less stuff, less manipulation, less breakage.

LongCurlyTress
February 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
I am loving all these fantastic videos, hairstyles and hair toys that everyone has mentioned below. It is always so much fun to learn and relearn all these fun techniques. Thanks for posting everyone! Good luck georgia-peach! Thanks so much for starting this helpful thread. :blossom:

darklyndsea
February 3rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
I don't know why some people even bother to tie off braids that go into a bun anyway? Less stuff, less manipulation, less breakage.

The ends of my hair are the only part that doesn't stick together. If I didn't tie off my braids my hair would unravel. Plus I like to go braid->bun->braid without rebraiding, which would be even more of an unraveling issue.

meteor
February 3rd, 2015, 08:00 PM
darklyndsea, do you mean that your braids unravel while inside a bun?
I notice that if I tie smaller braids before bunning, then the style will be easier to redo the next day (since I sleep in the same braids), but I don't notice any other difference.
Oh, and may I say: I love the 2 styles (Amish braids and Ellingwoman bun) that you list in your siggy as your favorites! :D And they are awesome examples of buns that don't need any hair-toys!

darklyndsea
February 3rd, 2015, 08:17 PM
I notice that if I tie smaller braids before bunning, then the style will be easier to redo the next day (since I sleep in the same braids), but I don't notice any other difference.
Oh, and may I say: I love the 2 styles (Amish braids and Ellingwoman bun) that you list in your siggy as your favorites! :D And they are awesome examples of buns that don't need any hair-toys!

Yes. It's even hard to keep them braided while I'm in the process of putting my hair up. I even end up putting elastics on the end of each of the braids in Amish braids to keep them from unraveling. ::shrug:: my hair's kind of backward; the least tangly part is the ends. It makes things awkward.

Easy English braided styles that are sturdy enough to last until the next time I wash are the best.

gthlvrmx
February 3rd, 2015, 08:52 PM

I don't use elastics on the ends of braids either since they usually go into buns. There's no point in it and it's much simpler.

gwenalyn
February 4th, 2015, 01:45 AM
I'm with darklyndsea, my hair never stays braided long enough to put it up in a bun, if I'm doing more than one braid. I've never tried, say, one English braid into a cinnabun--that I might be able to do, if I keep careful hold of the end of the braid. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

On-topic: seconding spin pins. Even bobby pins work ok, in conjunction with spin pins. The "V" hair pins don't seem to work at all with spin pins, unfortunately, they get all bent out of shape. I like crown braids. If you can tuck in the ends, strategically place a few pins, it looks like it's being held up magically.

georgia_peach
February 4th, 2015, 04:01 AM
I am loving all these fantastic videos, hairstyles and hair toys that everyone has mentioned below. It is always so much fun to learn and relearn all these fun techniques. Thanks for posting everyone! Good luck georgia-peach! Thanks so much for starting this helpful thread. :blossom: I'm glad you are enjoying this thread, too! I'm pretty inspired to start learning some new skills from all the great posts and videos.

Oh, and may I say: I love the 2 styles (Amish braids and Ellingwoman bun) that you list in your siggy as your favorites! :D And they are awesome examples of buns that don't need any hair-toys! Do you think it's the thinner/smaller braids that hold longer then without a tie? I was practicing some braiding last night and it seemed that way to me. I'm letting my hair taper naturally as it grows. I know a tapered braid isn't admired by some folks, but it does seem like it could help with certain updos.

ETA: [B]gwenalyn[/B, I wonder if the V pins you mentioned are like the crimp pins that Madora was talking about upthread. I ordered some of those from the link she provided. I'm going to bet they are heavy duty vs. the lighter weight ones that would indeed get all bent up trying to hold a lot of hair. I'll be sure to report back on those.

CremeTron
February 4th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Fantastic idea for a thread!

I like simple and I don't have any wish to get into expensive hair toys.

My fave style is milkmaid braids and I will be looking intently for more ideas here. I have about 4 inexpensive hairsticks including a samurai letter opener and 2 sets of chopsticks (!) but I prefer styles that are created using braids, pins and/ ponytail holders.

I do enjoy admiring others' hairtoys though. The updos on here are very elegant with them.

Thanks for the tutorials Meteor. I will be trying all of those.

gwenalyn
February 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying this thread, too! I'm pretty inspired to start learning some new skills from all the great posts and videos.

Do you think it's the thinner/smaller braids that hold longer then without a tie? I was practicing some braiding last night and it seemed that way to me. I'm letting my hair taper naturally as it grows. I know a tapered braid isn't admired by some folks, but it does seem like it could help with certain updos.

ETA: [B]gwenalyn[/B, I wonder if the V pins you mentioned are like the crimp pins that Madora was talking about upthread. I ordered some of those from the link she provided. I'm going to bet they are heavy duty vs. the lighter weight ones that would indeed get all bent up trying to hold a lot of hair. I'll be sure to report back on those.

Yes, i meant the same kind of pins (crimped, Amish, whatever you want to call them), but I got mine from Walgreens so they are definitely the lighter weight ones. They don't bend from the weight of my hair (not enough hair for that!). What I meant was that when I try to use spin pins and those crimped pins at the same time, somehow the pins get all bent up from the spin pins. The (V, crimped, Amish) pins work just fine alone.

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Do you think it's the thinner/smaller braids that hold longer then without a tie? I was practicing some braiding last night and it seemed that way to me. I'm letting my hair taper naturally as it grows. I know a tapered braid isn't admired by some folks, but it does seem like it could help with certain updos.

Yes, I think it works better on accent braids. The thing, is I'm too lazy to continue braiding all the way down, so I just braid enough of an accent to show up on my head before being hidden inside the bun. If I braid for too long and it doesn't show up in the bun, I feel like I've wasted braiding time and effort. :lol:
The accent braid effect I'm describing looks kind of like this (from the Hairstyle of the Month thread) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/coronetbun.jpg)
That said, I also run into the problem darklyndsea described, and there is definitely unraveling happening as I'm manipulating the braid into the bun, but I just don't pay attention to it, because I don't mind messy buns at all. :) Also, if I braid to the very ends, I'll have issues with 3 uneven braid-strands, hairs sticking out and possibly damage from manipulation on the ends, so I always leave large tassels anyway.

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 02:18 PM
My LWB pretty much stays up by itself. A 2-prong fork goes through it, but when taking it out at night, the LWB just stays put. It takes some big fancy manipulating to get it to come loose. :lol: But still the fork is there for extra hold. At one point your hair just becomes long enough and it stays on its own.

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Guys, I'm curious, do you think this pinless bun below could be somewhat damaging? I really liked how it looks a bit like a French twist thing, how quick and solid it is, it didn't pull, and I did it almost every day for a while, but I have to wonder if it can cause people damage? I mean the part where you slide the bun under hair close to scalp... :hmm:

- twist your hair like you want to do a peacock twist or a cinnabun;
- get a section/strand of some scalp hair, loosen it a bit with your fingers;
- slide your bun/glob of twisted hair under that hair.
And I found a video that shows this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNlbk8pgBJ8

browneyedsusan
February 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
No accessories doesn't seem possible for me. My hair is slippy and straight, and it likes to be exactly like that! :) It blows my mind that others can braid without tying the ends? My hair slides out of everything! Hair ties slip off the ends of my braids all the time. lol! --Just happened at a Super Bowl party last weekend. Oopsie!-- It spits out bobbypins, and slithers out of buns.

On the upside, I don't get many tangles!

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Guys, I'm curious, do you think this pinless bun below could be somewhat damaging? I really liked how it looks a bit like a French twist thing, how quick and solid it is, it didn't pull, and I did it almost every day for a while, but I have to wonder if it can cause people damage? I mean the part where you slide the bun under hair close to scalp... :hmm:

I think she pulls it pretty tightly... not a fan of that myself.

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 02:56 PM
No accessories doesn't seem possible for me. My hair is slippy and straight, and it likes to be exactly like that! :) It blows my mind that others can braid without tying the ends? My hair slides out of everything! Hair ties slip off the ends of my braids all the time. lol! --Just happened at a Super Bowl party last weekend. Oopsie!-- It spits out bobbypins, and slithers out of buns.

On the upside, I don't get many tangles!

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

I have rare days like that (boy, do I miss them now! :cloud9:) when it's this magic combination of the right conditioner and the right (high) humidity when my hair gets super-slippery and won't stay in any style at all, and then all I need to do is to wait a couple days for the hair to get dirtier, alternatively, I slather on some oils, conditioners or some styling products to make hair grabby if I really need to wear it up.
For those who like natural ingredients only, maybe flaxseed gel (linseed mucilage), okra gel or aloe vera gel can work on super-slippery hair?
This is a pretty good video for DIY flaxseed gel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 03:30 PM
I think she pulls it pretty tightly... not a fan of that myself.

Thank you, lapushka! :D Good to know!
I should probably not go back to that style: better safe than sorry. :)

And may I say: I really envy your ability to wear a lazy wrap bun without a hair-toy, lapushka! :D Very lucky!

georgia_peach
February 4th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Yes, i meant the same kind of pins (crimped, Amish, whatever you want to call them), but I got mine from Walgreens so they are definitely the lighter weight ones. They don't bend from the weight of my hair (not enough hair for that!). What I meant was that when I try to use spin pins and those crimped pins at the same time, somehow the pins get all bent up from the spin pins. The (V, crimped, Amish) pins work just fine alone. Oh, I understand now. Think I'll try the crimp pins by themselves first.

Meteor, that flaxseed gel looks great! I've already got my hair care down to one product (CO wash only). But there are times when I could really use a styling gel to help control my float-y hairs.

luvlonghair75
February 4th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Most days I just twist mine up in a figure eight and hold in place with a claw. Or a braid in the same fashion. Works for me.

Rushli
February 4th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Do the spin pin users agree that it doesn't take too many to hold an updo? And do the braiders mostly use bobby pins or crimp pins? Do you need really thick hair for crimp pins? They seem so wide.
I use 2 spin pins to hold each side of the bun. I dont foresee needing 3 anytime soon. Once my hair is long enough to wrap around its self better, I might even get away with one. (dont quote me on that though!) I also use spin pins with braided buns.

Gertrude
February 5th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I braid one or two braids ( for sectioned buns) and secure with soft ponio fuzzy elasticated ties sold for little girls. Or my fine slippery hair slides out like Houdini. Wavy crinkled Amish pins lots of, two sizes.

All invisible once bunned.

LongCurlyTress
February 5th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Yes, i meant the same kind of pins (crimped, Amish, whatever you want to call them), but I got mine from Walgreens so they are definitely the lighter weight ones. They don't bend from the weight of my hair (not enough hair for that!). What I meant was that when I try to use spin pins and those crimped pins at the same time, somehow the pins get all bent up from the spin pins. The (V, crimped, Amish) pins work just fine alone.
Yes! I love my Amish 3 inch crinkled hairpins from Mennonite Maidens. I originally bought a 3 pack (of 12 in each pack) of the 3 inch straight ones, but they did keep slipping out. Mennonite Maidens was kind enough to exchange the 2 unopened packages for 2 packages of the 3 inch crinkled hairpins and I absolutely love them! They are very thick and sturdy and will last forever! :happydance:

ETA I used them with this braided bun avatar and my siggy pic. ;)

sophiamermaid
February 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I'm a hair stick junkie, but I'm forever using whatever's to hand: paint brushes, pencils if they're smooth, some pens, chop sticks (actual chop sticks; you can get fun ones at Cost Plus that you still have to round out to avoid snagging, or just go to your local Asian grocery, and you can usually find huge packs of them for VERY little money -- people always compliment those ones, and then you can whip them out of your hair and give them to women who might use them if they'd like... I've given them away at the car rental place and in line for roller coasters and at the grocery... I'm like a hair stick pusher). I love golf pencils, because they hide inside even double buns.

sophiamermaid
February 5th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Oh, I also tie it in a knot sometimes: zero accessories! That one's a bit slippy, though. If my hair's around waist length or more I can do a bun and cram part of it through the middle from the inside, and that'll stay for a few hours.

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 12:49 PM
And may I say: I really envy your ability to wear a lazy wrap bun without a hair-toy, lapushka! :D Very lucky!

Well, it's only after wearing it for several hours, it just won't come loose on its own when the fork gets pulled out. It stays until it's pried loose, and no, it's not a particularly tight updo. I can wiggle a finger in between the coil and the scalp (Rowie's instructions on doing updo's).

But thank you! :flower:

prankdemon
February 5th, 2015, 02:38 PM
My hair is too slippery as well for an updo without hairtoys. I don't know what I would do without amish pins and spin pins.

I saw a lot of braided updo suggestions, but you could also try an inverted bun (holds without hairtoy for most people) or a gibson tuck (sooooo pretty).

georgia_peach
February 5th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Yes! I love my Amish 3 inch crinkled hairpins from Mennonite Maidens. I originally bought a 3 pack (of 12 in each pack) of the 3 inch straight ones, but they did keep slipping out. Mennonite Maidens was kind enough to exchange the 2 unopened packages for 2 packages of the 3 inch crinkled hairpins and I absolutely love them! They are very thick and sturdy and will last forever! :happydance:

ETA I used them with this braided bun avatar and my siggy pic. ;) Love your braided bun in the avatar picture!

Most days I just twist mine up in a figure eight and hold in place with a claw. Or a braid in the same fashion. Works for me. I couldn't keep my hair up without claw clips right now! Once it's a bit longer I hope to switch over to pins that will hide in my hair.

I use 2 spin pins to hold each side of the bun. I dont foresee needing 3 anytime soon. Once my hair is long enough to wrap around its self better, I might even get away with one. (dont quote me on that though!) I also use spin pins with braided buns. Awesome! That truly appeals to the minimalist in me. Let us know if you become a one-pin-bunner! :D

I braid one or two braids ( for sectioned buns) and secure with soft ponio fuzzy elasticated ties sold for little girls. Or my fine slippery hair slides out like Houdini. Wavy crinkled Amish pins lots of, two sizes.

All invisible once bunned. Didn't think about those little soft elastic ties. I bet they are gentle on the hair and easily hidden inside of a bun. My hair is slippery, too.

georgia_peach
February 5th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I've been practicing my braiding skills since this thread started. My hair just wants to float out of my hands when I try to braid it! :steam Maybe damp braiding and bunning would help, too. Anyone do that?

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I saw a lot of braided updo suggestions, but you could also try an inverted bun (holds without hairtoy for most people) or a gibson tuck (sooooo pretty).

Sounds lovely! How can one do an "inverted bun", prankdemon? :) I haven't found any tutorials, unfortunately.

I've been practicing my braiding skills since this thread started. My hair just wants to float out of my hands when I try to braid it! :steam Maybe damp braiding and bunning would help, too. Anyone do that?

Yes, my braided bun always stays in much better if it's done on wet/damp hair. Damp hair is just so much easier to manipulate.

Madora
February 5th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Meteor, you do an inverted bun by first detangling your hair, then bend over as much as you can, bring all your hair in front of you, then gather it up in a ponytail in the center of your head. Gently twist all the hair, then coil and pin in a circle. Personally, I never had any good results doing this as an inverted braided coiled bun on top of my head was much more secure.

LongCurlyTress
February 5th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Thank you so much georgia_peach! You made my day! I can't wait to see some buns that you make, especially using Amish hairpins if you get some!! I started an album of just buns and another one for hair growth photos since I have a difficult time posting pics in threads. :magic:

I love reading everyone's suggestions!! Thank you for posting these great ideas. :cheer:

HintOfMint
February 5th, 2015, 10:39 PM
SPIN PINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, they're a godsend. I don't even own any hairtoys (I'm not terribly into hair decorations), just spin pins, hair ties, and bobby pins. Works for me!

yahirwaO.o
February 5th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Im just basic and get my black satin scrunchie, holds awesome, almost dissapear in my hair color and never pulls bad.

If I want to go more glam a tucked in french braid holds awesome with just a u-.shaped hair pin.

Doreen
February 6th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Currently my only hair accessories are a plain bamboo stick and ties for the ends. It is mainly in the interest of being economical, but also, my personal style when it comes to my hair is pretty plain. If I want an updo, I will make a bun with the stick, or a braided bun, or make two braids and tie them around my head in a crown style. I also like to add an accent braid on one side sometimes, and experiment with different bun and braid combos.

LongCurlyTress
February 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Hey Doreen! I feel like we are sisters with our minimalist hairtoy attitude! Yay! Beautiful braid in your profile pic. Lovely! :blossom:

SThr
February 6th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I forgot to mention before, but I like doing crown braids and holding them in place with just one u pin. Sometimes it takes two, but most of the time just one, sometimes none!

Peggy E.
February 7th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I find spin pins are the best accessory for updos without toys, they hold my hair really well and I can do a variety of braided and bun styles with them. I also get a good hold regardless of when I last washed my hair. I find them easier and less fiddly than using hundreds of bobby pins, half the time two spin pins will do the same job and hold for longer.

I will admit to collecting antique hair combs, which I do love to wear, but the styles I put them in are usually held in place with spin pins.

Bobby pins fall out of my hair, but spin pins hold like glue and don't damage, either. Highly recommend!

LongCurlyTress
February 7th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Does anyone have 3b hair (or beyooooond?) like I do and have success with spin pins not getting caught in your hair? I am so afraid of this so I have not tried them. They just look like a curly hair death trap for curly girls such as myself. shudder: My hair tangles from just looking at it too severely! :tmi:

chen bao jun
February 9th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Beyond. Spin pins work well for me

browneyedsusan
February 9th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I just thought of one!

Amish braids! They take a while to put in, but hold securely for days with just one little elastic. :)

Saige
February 10th, 2015, 12:19 AM
I love this thread! I don't own any hair toys yet so I like learning styles that I can do without using a million bobby pins. I've always preferred a simpler look when it comes to hair accessories. I love the idea of holding my hair up with nothing at all!

georgia_peach
February 10th, 2015, 10:26 AM
This thread has inspired me to wear my first minimally accessorized updo. It started out with four V/crimped pins and a ponytail holder (very loosely wrapped at the base of the braid and tucked under). Braided wet this morning because I'm not a very skilled braider. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u387/dmathis64/001_zps0e3867e6.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/dmathis64/media/001_zps0e3867e6.jpg.html) Now it's lunchtime and I'm down to three crimped pins (one fell out) and all seems to be holding well.

ETA: Geesh. That's a bit of a mess. Oh well. I'll just keep practicing.

-Fern
February 11th, 2015, 09:49 PM
ETA: Geesh. That's a bit of a mess. Oh well. I'll just keep practicing.

Congrats! Honestly, my braids changed dramatically when I forced myself to relax. I started doing 2-minute French braids before bed, knowing I didn't care if they were ugly, and they looked ten times better than when I spent ten minutes on it in the mornings... (probably in big part because my arms didn't get so tired =P). Did you need anything to secure the end of the braid, or was it just your crimped pins? Thanks!

MINAKO
February 11th, 2015, 11:02 PM
the french tuck is something i totally want to wear in the summer and i realized my braiding is actually not as bad as i thought. but how do i tuck it without ending up with my headshape looking like this?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/locusta_album/Alien_3_wip_11.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/locusta_album/media/Alien_3_wip_11.jpg.html)

CurlyCap
February 11th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have 3b hair (or beyooooond?) like I do and have success with spin pins not getting caught in your hair? I am so afraid of this so I have not tried them. They just look like a curly hair death trap for curly girls such as myself. shudder: My hair tangles from just looking at it too severely! :tmi:

Had the same fear a few years ago and GRU set me straight. They're perfectly safe. Has never been caught in my hair.

CremeTron
February 12th, 2015, 03:55 AM
the french tuck is something i totally want to wear in the summer and i realized my braiding is actually not as bad as i thought. but how do i tuck it without ending up with my headshape looking like this?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/locusta_album/Alien_3_wip_11.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/locusta_album/media/Alien_3_wip_11.jpg.html)

I don't know but hehehehe!

georgia_peach
February 12th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Congrats! Honestly, my braids changed dramatically when I forced myself to relax. I started doing 2-minute French braids before bed, knowing I didn't care if they were ugly, and they looked ten times better than when I spent ten minutes on it in the mornings... (probably in big part because my arms didn't get so tired =P). Did you need anything to secure the end of the braid, or was it just your crimped pins? Thanks! Thank you for the encouragement, -Fern. And that is an awesome idea about doing practice braids before bed! I had to use a pony tail holder to secure the end of it. There was a discussion earlier in the thread about folks who are able to leave the tassle unsecured. It sounds like the trick to that is smaller/thinner/skinnier braids.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, MINAKO. But your post was the first thing I saw this morning, and I couldn't wait to see what had happened on this thread during the night!

Stiria
February 12th, 2015, 04:45 AM

I think the french tuck is one of those hairstyles that are best for shorter hair. I loved it when I had shorter hair, but I don't do it anymore. Last time I wore it my hair was waist length, and it didn't look very good.

meteor
February 12th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Oh yes, MINAKO, I think all sorts of tucks are just difficult (if not impossible) for people with A LOT of hair.

Awesome picture, MINAKO! :thumbsup: It channels that alien look of a French twist or a French tuck on thick/long hair exceptionally well! ;)

TrapperCreekD
February 12th, 2015, 04:52 PM
How far into iii are you, MINAKO? I haven't done tucked braids for several months, but I could do it at nearing TBL without having a hideous bulge on the back of my head. I think I may have a picture somewhere... If not, I'll try it and see if I can still do it.

Laurenji
February 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Hahaha. I tried out a French tuck a while ago and it ended up looking like that, although that was actually close to the look I was going for! I only French braided a mohawk-like section in the middle and then Dutch braiding the sides. It came out like this:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15740322660_f4b790ff01.jpg

meteor
February 13th, 2015, 12:40 PM
That's great, Laurenji! :thumbsup:
That fauxhawk looks so fierce! :D

excentricat
February 13th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Another option for an inexpensive, minimalist look with the ability to do almost any style is bent double pointed knitting needles. They are my go to. And they come 5 to a pack. I've never had to use more than two.

gwenalyn
February 13th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Another option for an inexpensive, minimalist look with the ability to do almost any style is bent double pointed knitting needles. They are my go to. And they come 5 to a pack. I've never had to use more than two.

Can you expand a little on that? I have plenty of knitting needles, but I can't imagine them bending enough to work as a hairfork ...

georgia_peach
February 14th, 2015, 05:55 AM
That's great, Laurenji! :thumbsup:
That fauxhawk looks so fierce! :D Agreed! It looks very cool. :cool:

LongCurlyTress
February 14th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info CurlyCap! Maybe I will put them on my wish list! I am in love with my crinkled 3 inch Amish pins for now, but many others swear by their two spinpins and love them. Hmmmm :agree:

LongCurlyTress
February 14th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Hi! Can you explain how long and the thickness your knitting needles are? Thanks! Now this sounds very interesting! ;) Maybe even a package brand name? They don't bend with a crease in the middle? Can you bend them? Ask someone else like a MAN?? to bend them? haha... Thanks! :p

excentricat
February 14th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I did it awhile ago, so I don't have a brand or anything. I got a pretty small size, 2 or 3 I think. But longer than standard length. Then bend them gently around the base of a doorknob or something similar to get a nice smooth curve. It doesn't take a lot of strength and I had no problems with creases though I think you might if you tried thicker needles.

LongCurlyTress
February 14th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Thank you so much! I can easily see how these would become my go-to hairtoys for damp buns and cost! I am finding I do love my acrylics, but they are 6 inches in length, and the pointy ends stick out kind of dangerously in the way of hugging, cuddling Pookie my maltese ****zu over my shoulder etc. This way they won't stick out at all on the curved side. Thanks!! :):magic:

Saige
February 21st, 2015, 06:17 PM
I managed to do a half-up nautilus this morning! It held like a rock with no pins or toys. My hair usually refuses to stay in any style unless it's firmly held down with something sturdy, so this was very exciting! First I tried it using all my hair but I don't have the length for that, unfortunately. I think it will be one of my favourite styles when my hair is longer. I also tried TorrinPaige's Lazy Crown Braid yesterday, which only uses a few bobbie pins to secure the ends of the rope braid. It really was the most comfortable style I have ever worn! It's quite hot where I am now, so getting all my hair up off my neck with minimal fussing is a priority!

Hairkay
February 21st, 2015, 06:29 PM
I tend to use a scrunchy sometimes. I make my own satin ones. Other times I plait/braid without anything. My super curly hair will let it stay. I do have some little ornamental combs to pin hair up but I rarely use them.

LeMimi13
May 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Is there anu way to make a cinnammon bun homd with few accessories? I dont wanna put like 15 bobby pins in my hair..

gthlvrmx
May 12th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Is there anu way to make a cinnammon bun homd with few accessories? I dont wanna put like 15 bobby pins in my hair..
Try using spin pins to hold a cinnamon bun. If the regular sized spin pins are too big for the bun, try the mini spin pins. For using them, make sure one of the bulby rounded ends grabs scalp hair and the other goes through the bun. That creates a stronger grip. 2 spin pins should be enough for the cinnamon bun.