PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have trouble with Jeterforks?

Alexa
February 2nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think they are really, really beautiful, and I have heard so many good things about them, but I find them really difficult to push through my hair! I recently purchased 2-, 3-, and 4-prong Jeterforks to try, and find the 2-prong the easiest to get in, but the 3- and 4-prongs are nearly impossible! And once I do get one in, I feel like it makes my hair is really tight, like too tight, pulling at my skull. I have no trouble with the Good Village Woodcraft (4-prong), Sugar Valley Wood Shop (3-prong) and Grah-Toe Studio (2-prong) forks I've tried. :hmm: Is it because the Jeterfork prongs are so wide? My hair is really fine and thin, so maybe it "packs down" and I need the really skinny tines to get through it? I have tried wrapping my bun looser, too, but it's only just past shoulder-length, so if I get too loose there isn't enough to wrap around and it just falls apart. :shrug: Does anyone else have the same issue with Jeterforks, or have any tricks to making them easier to use? Thank you!

Seeshami
February 2nd, 2015, 10:46 PM
I would guess it's the bulk, which i do not like and that is why i would never use a jeter

Stormynights
February 2nd, 2015, 11:04 PM
I got on Jeter that was slightly sticky. It is just fine now. If I make my bun too tight it will pull a little so I have to back the fork out a little and put it back in. I don't like tight buns on my head. hehe

DreamSheep
February 3rd, 2015, 12:53 AM
Jeter's do need slightly looser buns, and wiggling upon insertion helps.

I have also found some forks in some woods are easier to insert than those made out of coarser grains. :)
I'd say, try making looser buns and inserting slower, and see if it helps :flower:

schnibbles
February 3rd, 2015, 07:41 AM
I make my Jeter buns crazy-loose. Like ridiculous blobs. My mun ebony inserts the best out of them all, it's super, super smooth like buttah.
I would hang on to them, what doesn't necessarily work for you right now might be better when you get more length.
But then again, it could be that they're just not for you.

Upside Down
February 3rd, 2015, 08:01 AM
This is what I like about them, they hold loose buns so I get a big bun illusion. Maybe wait till your hair gets longer, as already suggested...

Islandgrrl
February 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
I have one Jeterfork and I'm going to put it up for swap soon. It just doesn't work for me. It's too small, and that's part of it, but I also find that it's really difficult to get through my hair. The tines are too wide and it's not comfortable. :shrug: Not everything works for everybody. After years of trying and trying and really wanting to wear them, I can't wear Grahtoe forks either.

Kherome
February 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
No, no problems at all! You need a loose bun (better for the hair) and to insert it properly, which is to say, not jamming it in. (Bad for the hair!) I put mine in with a tiny bit of wiggle and they stay all day.

Alexa
February 3rd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Huh, it sounds like they might work better when my hair is longer, but I wonder if they will be too short then. :sad

Hele
February 3rd, 2015, 11:05 AM
i was able to use Jeters for a while there but they stopped working for me somewhere between tbl and classic. I can barely get them through my hair now and the effort involved to do it just isn't worth it since there's other things that go in no problem. I can hear hairs snapping when i try to get a Jeter in a bun plus i'm liable to break the fork itself. I think it's something with the spacing of the tines and the bluntness, i have similar width Elymwolds and i have no problem using them. Actually i'm kinda glad there's other people that can't use them, i was starting to worry that i was the only one!

Wosie
February 3rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
For me it seems to depend on the wood... All my Jeterforks bar from one easily slides into my hair. The wood which doesn't like my hair? Holly. :/ I have to struggle to get it in, and it's seldom comfortable.

Stellaaa
February 3rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
I have one Jeterfork and I'm going to put it up for swap soon. It just doesn't work for me. It's too small, and that's part of it, but I also find that it's really difficult to get through my hair. The tines are too wide and it's not comfortable. :shrug: Not everything works for everybody. After years of trying and trying and really wanting to wear them, I can't wear Grahtoe forks either.

i was able to use Jeters for a while there but they stopped working for me somewhere between tbl and classic. I can barely get them through my hair now and the effort involved to do it just isn't worth it since there's other things that go in no problem. I can hear hairs snapping when i try to get a Jeter in a bun plus i'm liable to break the fork itself. I think it's something with the spacing of the tines and the bluntness, i have similar width Elymwolds and i have no problem using them. Actually i'm kinda glad there's other people that can't use them, i was starting to worry that i was the only one!

Yup, exactly what they said ^^^

They worked for a while for me, but now not so much. Hard to get through the hair (I also have a problem with Grahtoe, at least the couple I have tried). And if I bun loose enough that it's easy to insert, either my hair falls down and I have to re-bun, or it crawls over the top and swallows the fork. But I still love my bocote, and will keep it for sentimental reasons and also because it made an awesome rudolph-hair do with the addition of some pipe cleaners and a couple googly eyes.

Hele
February 3rd, 2015, 01:24 PM
not to derail the thread any but i find it interesting that the three of us that have posted on here about not having success with Jeters have the same problem with GTS. I've never been able to use their 3 prong forks (other than tusks) but the 2 prongs were working great for a while there but now i can't get them through my hair either. Very inneresting (to me).... :hmm:

Rushli
February 5th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Don't their tines look completely different?

I have been having trouble with Jeters recently. Well it slowly started since I collected a few this fall. It takes so much effort to get my 4 prongs into my hair. My three prong still works for me fairly easy. I also don't do loose bun. Well, I can do a loose braided bun but everything else falls apart.

laceyfairy
February 5th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I find the jeter tines wider than comfortable

ooglipoo
February 5th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I have a couple, and they work, but I would probably like them better if: The tines were farther apart and if the tines weren't so broad.

And, count me in on the GTS not working, either! Funny, huh? Even though the GTS prongs are smooth and rounded. I think there isn't enough room between them?

60th street are lovely, with their glassy smooth finish, but my hair spits them right back out!

Stellaaa
February 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Don't their tines look completely different?

I have been having trouble with Jeters recently. Well it slowly started since I collected a few this fall. It takes so much effort to get my 4 prongs into my hair. My three prong still works for me fairly easy. I also don't do loose bun. Well, I can do a loose braided bun but everything else falls apart.

Yes, they do look different. And they are different. Which, I think, is part of what is interesting about the fact that Hele, Islandgrrl and I all have a little trouble with them.

AspenSong
February 5th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Now, I have limited interaction with Jeter forks compared to all here, but having had a 3 prong before giving it away in a swap...I will say I could not get it to work. And I tried. Even looser buns, it just didn't cut it for my hair type personally. It Always felt hard to push into my hair and just seemed....clunky. Again, for ME. And that being said, I'm just not as enamored overall with the looks of them anyway. Different strokes and all.

And count me in to the group who GTS stuff doesn't work for as well! Just...No. The only two things that have ever worked - a tiny comb/detangler that my hair is fine enough I can use as a tiny fork, but I know I shall one day not be able to use and honestly...I'm probably mostly holding onto because it's pretty at this point anyway. And my Katanas. Outside those, nothing works. At least that I've tried. I have never tried a tusk, but seriously doubt I ever will because of money and just the sheer cost of the ones with stones and those being the ones I would really really want. It's sad. because I do see a lot of GTS stuff that I do like and I just know it won't work. =(

Alexa
February 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM
So for those of you who can't get Jeterforks or GTS to work, what are your favorite forks? I only have a 2-prong, teeny-tiny GTS, and it works fine, but so does my 2-prong Jeter, so it makes me wonder if I would have trouble with a GTS with more prongs. My easiest-to-use, no-fail fork is my Good Village Woodcraft 4-prong.

Stellaaa
February 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM
60th Street. 2, 3 or 4 prong, love them all, although with the two prong I find I need a wide gap between prongs (Jeni or Ali style).
I don't have any GVW, yet, but I understand they are very very similar.

Stellaaa
February 5th, 2015, 07:06 PM
60th Street. 2, 3 or 4 prong, love them all, although with the two prong I find I need a wide gap between prongs (Jeni or Ali style).
I don't have any GVW, yet, but I understand they are very very similar.

ooglipoo
February 5th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I'm in love with my ReDoodle four prong fork!

Another winner for me is an aluminum add-a-brooch fork by Raven'sLair. Two tines, with a headcurve, and really light.

I also like the kievgiftshop forks I have. They have super head curve, though, and the laquer isn't as smooth as others, but I like that, because the slick ones slip out of my hair.

Hele
February 5th, 2015, 09:22 PM
i'm a huge GVW fan (just got a new one in the mail today actually!) 4 prong only though, the 3 prongs are a bit small for me. I also love Elymwold forks, they also have the nice pointy tines to them. Both of these forks go through my hair easily on even the most insane hair days. I've also just fallen in love with 2 prong aluminum Over the Hawaiian Moon forks and 2 prong Quattros. It's weird, the bigger the hair gets the more i'm gravitating toward skinny little forks. I also have a couple 2 pronged RavensLair forks that are great. Now that i'm thinking about it i remember you recommending metal forks to me back when i was fairly new on here Ooglipoo and i didn't think they'd work for me...i guess this teaches me the error of not listening to you! (and i've been wanting one of those add a brooch forks, my spider brooch needs a home!)

so my timeline for Jeters and GTS not working...joined the site at BCL, couldn't get a 3 prong GTS through my hair, Jeters worked great. TBL: Jeters started crapping out on me but i could still use the bigger/heavier ones. Somewhere between TBL and Classic: sold all my Jeters save for a few absolute favorites to try on more manageable hair days, discovered GTS mermaids and tusks, both of those worked great. Just past classic: mermaids are starting to crap out on me. I can still use the heavier ones but i won't be buying any more. Tusks still work great, waiting to see what happens next with those!

Beezle
February 6th, 2015, 02:51 AM
My hair doesn't like my 3 tine Jeter which is the first fork I bought. Since then I have tried GVW, Elymwold, and Baerreis and all insert easily and hold well. It seems I needed a wider space between prongs to avoid snapping hair.