PDA

View Full Version : Greenification

ouseljay
February 2nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
My green dye finally arrived, Special Effects Green Iguana. I'm exited but more nervous than I expected, this will be the first time I've used dye that doesn't wash out in one shower (or rain, or just rub off over the course of the day...)

My plan was going to be to just color the last few inches of the ends. That way I can just cut it out (could honestly use a trim anyway) if I don't like it, and I can hide it in a bun if I feel like it. But I also like the idea of a couple of streaks, and I'm not in a field in which many people will care (ah, academia). In which case, where? Hmm.

Here's what I have to work with:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15747&d=1422917237
I usually keep it in a Dutch braid or a bun.

So, what do you think would look good?

(Also, suggestions for not permanently dying my shower and sink?)

CremeTron
February 2nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
I think a streak somewhere around the nape, maybe starting 2/3 of the way down. That way it will peek out a bit and show subtly in updos.

Another place instead or in addition to this streak is one near your temple that you can tuck behind your ear or leave out.

pastina
February 2nd, 2015, 04:19 PM
clarify and DONT condition before you dye.

mix a little bit of conditioner into the dye to cut excessive color bleed.

make sure you wear gloves while you dye AND when you rinse out.

i usually cover my sink with a ripped open plastic bag and the floor under me with a crappy towel. keep a box of tissues, a garbage can, and some hairspray or hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol nearby. if you drip dye somewhere (it's thick like ketchup, so it'll glob, not really run) wipe it up with a tissue immediately, then spray the spot with hairspray (or whichever alcohol you have) and let it sit for a few seconds before wiping up with a different tissue.

green dyes usually comes off hard surfaces pretty easily if you catch them immediately. where i get stung, sometimes, is by fallen strands of hair. like... if a strand falls in the sink and you don't notice right away, the next time you wash your hands, there'll be a pretty green line where that hair used to be. ...don't stress it too much though, even if you do stain your sink or shower, the color will fade fairly quickly.

if you need any other help, let me know!

sibylla
February 2nd, 2015, 04:20 PM
That's weird.I just bought green hair color:Manic Panic enchanted Forrest!I will also post my results here.I think your idea with the ends is best.The dye washes out in a couple of washes in my experience.Im going to put dye where my grey roots are and all over my black hair.I'm excited!Good luck my green haired friend!

pastina
btw, iguana green is a fricken awesome color, i hope you post pics when you're done. i have two bottles waiting for me when i feel like switching from sonic green. <3

Anje
Ooh, sounds cool! Make sure to take before and after pictures! (Even if you choose not to post them, I'll bet they'll be fun to have.)

I've often wanted some green streaks in my hair. However, being a redhead with a mane full of henna makes me skeptical that I'd end up with anything other than mud.

pastina
February 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
oh, IME it doesn't wash out right away *at all.*

ouseljay
June 21st, 2015, 07:40 PM
Okay, I just now got around to this. *facepalm* Between work/school and life things got a little jumbled, but this was a good weekend and I decided to just go for it. My brother invited me to go to a Faerie Festival with him next weekend, and I would be sad if I didn't have my green in time for that at least!

Thank you all for the advice. Pastina, the details about keeping the color off things (and getting it off when it did get on...) were invaluable.

So I'm sitting here with the dye in, dyed bits wrapped in plastic, plan to wash it out in the morning. I ended up doing about the last 8 inches of my ends, and one little chunk that I can tuck behind my ear.

Pictures to come (in less than four months...)

pastina
June 21st, 2015, 08:19 PM
:popcorn: can't wait to see!!!

Nightshade
June 21st, 2015, 08:23 PM
Ohhh exiting :D

Panth
June 22nd, 2015, 04:20 AM
Sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.

I attempted green (initally just a thin streak as a tester) using Directions Apple Green over virgin (golden blond) and whilst it looked absolutely awesome after rinsing out, it almost all washed out in the first wash, leaving me with just vaguely muddy-green blonde hair which then stuck around for a few weeks. *sigh* I hope yours turns out better!