PDA

View Full Version : Static and dry hair if I wash, SD flare up if I don't! What to do...

Nadine <3
February 2nd, 2015, 09:28 AM
This cold dry winter is making my hair so angry. :mad:

I'm having a seborrheic dermatitis flair up. When that happens, I need to keep my scalp pretty clear of anything, including my own sebum. Unfortunately for me, that means every other day, as I am a grease ball. I'm using the neutrogena T-gel on my scalp, and coating my length in Suave coconut to protect it. After I rinse, I put an SMT on my length and let it soak for the rest of my shower. For leave ins I either use a blob of Suave coconut or Tresseme Split remedy leave in conditioner. I seal everything in with 2-3 drops of mineral oil. Normally, I wash every 4 days, but with my scalp needing more washing...my hair is a dry, staticy mess! Even my bangs are staticy, and those sit on my greasy forehead! The rest of it is a staticy mess, I try and put a bit of oil in (My hair LOVES olive oil, soaks it up by the handful!) but I'm leery of using to much as it likes to migrate to the nape of my neck and then I get the painful red bumps. I sleep on silk, I use a wooden comb, I wear my hair up everyday, and we have 2 humidifiers running, one of which is in my room running on full blast.

Is there anything else I can do for my hair while I treat my scalp? I don't want my hair to get so dry (especially while I'm trying desperately to combat splits in my damaged layers!) but I obviously need to keep my scalp healthy and happy too.

Anje
February 2nd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Just a thought... try a conditioner other than the Suave coconut. That particular one has protein and dries my hair out like crazy. Aloe & waterlily is my default, though lately I'm loving Tressemme Radiant Volume.

Nadine <3
February 2nd, 2015, 10:53 AM
Just a thought... try a conditioner other than the Suave coconut. That particular one has protein and dries my hair out like crazy. Aloe & waterlily is my default, though lately I'm loving Tressemme Radiant Volume.

Oh Gosh, THANK YOU, I didn't even think to check that! Are the other scents okay? I have a lot of Suave from when I used to CO wash.

Stormynights
February 2nd, 2015, 11:18 AM
Have you tried Paul Mitchell Tea tree shampoo?

Seeshami
February 2nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Wood combs always made my hair extra static nonsense. For just weird days of static i use a 6 parts water 4 partsish conditioner spray to tame enough to get everything up and out of my way

Anje
February 2nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
Oh Gosh, THANK YOU, I didn't even think to check that! Are the other scents okay? I have a lot of Suave from when I used to CO wash.
For me, yeah, though I've heard that there's an Ocean Somethingorother that has seaweed extracts that are protein-heavy. Haven't used that variety, though -- it's not carried in huge bottles locally. ;) It's just that pesky coconut variety that has silk protein in it, and my hair HATES the stuff. I can't even get through a bottle without crispy, rough, massively tangley hair. And I'm similar -- I like to have scads of it around because I used to CO wash. (Cutting bangs put a stop to the CO and I haven't really started it up again. Funny how that happens.)

lapushka
February 2nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
For my SD Nizoral works best (the 2% one). My hair doesn't get too dry from it either. Maybe that's an option?

spidermom
February 2nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner after shampooing with a medicated shampoo. My hair is not dried out.

Swan Maiden
February 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
Maybe a scalp only wash? I use salt water on my SD with good results, I know salt water is supposed to be damaging, I havent noticed any ill effects from use and it is the only thing that calms my SD besides a castor oil soak.

Obsidian
February 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
I found T-gel to be very, very drying. I use a prescription sulfa based shampoo for my SD and during a flare, I only have to use it once a week to get it under control.

MicheleZ
February 2nd, 2015, 02:57 PM
I use Nizoral also - works great. No other "dandruff" shampoo worked for my SD.

MicheleZ
February 2nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Nizerol is the only thing that works for my SD.

embee
February 2nd, 2015, 05:17 PM
I found that dilute shampoo worked better for me, and there was little static with very dilute conditioner as well. But I do not have SD.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2015, 10:14 AM
I found that dilute shampoo worked better for me, and there was little static with very dilute conditioner as well. But I do not have SD.

Yeeeah, it's a bad idea to dilute medicated shampoos. Just sayin'. ;)

Nadine <3
February 3rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
For my SD Nizoral works best (the 2% one). My hair doesn't get too dry from it either. Maybe that's an option?
Thank you, I will give that one a try. I had a huge scalp itchy bumpy outbreak and had to go to a Dr to have it looked at. I've been officially diagnosed for only 2 weeks, and the Tgel was just what he recommended I try.

I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner after shampooing with a medicated shampoo. My hair is not dried out.
I've heard good things about that conditioner, but my hair isn't a huge fan of Dimethicone.

Maybe a scalp only wash? I use salt water on my SD with good results, I know salt water is supposed to be damaging, I havent noticed any ill effects from use and it is the only thing that calms my SD besides a castor oil soak.
See, I desperately want scalp only washes to work for me, but every time I try one I end up with a bun soaked in soapy water and I end up washing everything anyways, it just takes longer. Maybe I just need to keep practicing...

I use Nizoral also - works great. No other "dandruff" shampoo worked for my SD.

Nizerol is the only thing that works for my SD.

I've ordered a bottle to try out!

When my scalp is happy I dilute my shampoo very slightly just so it's easier to get it where I need it, and I add aloe. This works for me, but if I dilute to much it makes my scalp angry.

I ordered some Nizoral shampoo to try, and I've replaced suave coconut with everlasting sunshine to get rid of that protein. It's wash day today, so I'll report back how my hair does in a bit! I'm still wearing a shredded sleep braid.

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Scalp only washes are much easier with a handheld sprayer. I had the same problem until I wrapped my bun in plastic and tried a sprayer.

Nadine <3
February 3rd, 2015, 11:46 AM
Scalp only washes are much easier with a handheld sprayer. I had the same problem until I wrapped my bun in plastic and tried a sprayer.

Darn, we don't have one of those. Maybe I could make it work in the kitchen sink... Where is the best place to place the bun? I can't decided if it would work better at my nape or if I want a high bun... I guess I'll just have to experiment!

Anje
February 3rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Darn, we don't have one of those. Maybe I could make it work in the kitchen sink... Where is the best place to place the bun? I can't decided if it would work better at my nape or if I want a high bun... I guess I'll just have to experiment!
Any chance you can get one? Seriously, they cost roughly $20 and they're quite easy to install. I have one that comes with me when I move apartments (it's got an extra-long hose, making it easier to wash things in the tub -- clothes, cats, the bathtub itself, etc) and I just exchange out the normal one for my handheld sprayer and swap back when I leave. Obviously your family members would have to be OK with this, but I think generally most people like having the option. Just make sure you grab a roll of that white teflon thread tape too. :)

Anje
February 3rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Any chance you can get one? Seriously, they cost roughly $20 and they're quite easy to install. I have one that comes with me when I move apartments (it's got an extra-long hose, making it easier to wash things in the tub -- clothes, cats, the bathtub itself, etc) and I just exchange out the normal one for my handheld sprayer and swap back when I leave. Obviously your family members would have to be OK with this, but I think generally most people like having the option. Just make sure you grab a roll of that white teflon thread tape too. :)

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2015, 12:34 PM
I find a loose bun at the nape works best for me. And yes to what Anje posted. :)

Rowdy
February 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM

I just do it over my bathroom sink, with loose braided pigtails and a towel around my neck. I use a small glass to pour water where I need it because I make way less of a mess than when I tried to use a handheld sprayer lol.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2015, 01:05 PM

If you wash right side up, at the nape would be easiest, but if you wash upside down, place the bun at the prolonged lengths of your forehead.

meteor
February 3rd, 2015, 08:45 PM

Have you also tried a method when you braid hair and keep the braid in place by your bra-strap or a collar, if you do scalp-only wash over a sink?

Scalp-only washes are great for disguising greasies and keeping hairline clean and I certainly recommend them wholeheartedly, but unfortunately they may not necessarily help with SD and other scalp issues, because they dosn't necessarily get the whole scalp clean. :(

I agree with Nizoral recommendation. :thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with Neutrogena T-gel, but its pathway of action on SD is via Coal tar. And sometimes other ingredients are useful, and it may take some trial and error to figure out which one(s) will work for you. Keep records when you try different treatments (most will be marketed as "anti-dandruff").
- Many (maybe even most?) anti-dandruff shampoos use the pathway of Zinc pyrithione, e.g. Head & Shoulders, Pantene, Garnier Fructis and many other brands usually use this ingredient in their "anti-dandruff" shampoos.
- Some use Selenium sulfide, e.g. Selsun Blue.
- Very few OTC products here use Ketoconazole, e.g. Nizoral. More medicated shampoos have it. That's the pathway I would try first if you know you have an SD flare-up.
- Some use Coal tar, e.g. Neutrogena T-gel, and yes, it's very drying. But I can't think of any non-drying anti-SD treatments.
- Many use Salicylic acid, e.g. SheaMoisture African Black Soap, Ionil T, etc... Salicylic acid (BHA) is a great chemically exfoliating ingredient, and I would choose a mild maintenance shampoo containing this very ingredient, because it's pretty useful even without SD.

And don't forget that there are some great natural ingredients that can provide some relief and help skin/scalp recover faster: aloe, neem, black seed, willow bark...

bonbon58
February 3rd, 2015, 09:18 PM
I just do it over my bathroom sink, with loose braided pigtails and a towel around my neck. I use a small glass to pour water where I need it because I make way less of a mess than when I tried to use a handheld sprayer lol.

I use a similar method: loose english braid and a cup, over the sink. not sure if braids are a good option since your hair is only APL though?

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Nothing wrong with Neutrogena T-gel, but its pathway of action on SD is via Coal tar. And sometimes other ingredients are useful, and it may take some trial and error to figure out which one(s) will work for you. Keep records when you try different treatments (most will be marketed as "anti-dandruff").
- Many (maybe even most?) anti-dandruff shampoos use the pathway of Zinc pyrithione, e.g. Head & Shoulders, Pantene, Garnier Fructis and many other brands usually use this ingredient in their "anti-dandruff" shampoos.
- Very few OTC products here use Ketoconazole, e.g. Nizoral. More medicated shampoos have it. That's the pathway I would try first if you know you have an SD flare-up.
- Some use Coal tar, e.g. Neutrogena T-gel, and yes, it's very drying. But I can't think of any non-drying anti-SD treatments.
- Many use Salicylic acid, e.g. SheaMoisture African Black Soap, Ionil T, etc... Salicylic acid (BHA) is a great chemically exfoliating ingredient, and I would choose a mild maintenance shampoo containing this very ingredient, because it's pretty useful even without SD.

And don't forget that there are some great natural ingredients that can provide some relief and help skin/scalp recover faster: aloe, neem, black seed, willow bark...

Very informative, meteor! :)

Majorane
February 4th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Hm. I don't have much to add for you, Nadine :( I just lurkread because my Italian has horrible SD. But, I have a question for our walking database of everything, Meteor:
You said that salicylic acid is a good maintenance ingredient in shampoos. Now, sadly many of the shampoos you've talked about aren't available here. I do know that only ketoconazole and selenium sylphide helps my so's scalp and tar does not help at all. If we wanted to experiment with salicylic acid, is it a possibility to mix aspirine powder into ones shampoo? Like, how some people *cough* me *cough* sometimes exfoliate with aspirin, because of it's exfoliating amazingness?

Unless it's a really common ingredient found in many shampoos, but even if that was the case it would probably be too low a dose for my greasebeast. Or could that do harm to the scalp? He is a shorthair (hiss boo) so dryness is not a concern for him.

Nadine, I hope you find a solution, frizzy hair is so annoying!

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Meteor would have to answer that one, but I think I've read (somewhere) that you *can* add aspirin to your shampoo for those purposes. I'm not exactly sure how much, though.

Nadine <3
February 5th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Have you also tried a method when you braid hair and keep the braid in place by your bra-strap or a collar, if you do scalp-only wash over a sink?

Scalp-only washes are great for disguising greasies and keeping hairline clean and I certainly recommend them wholeheartedly, but unfortunately they may not necessarily help with SD and other scalp issues, because they dosn't necessarily get the whole scalp clean. :(

Ohhhh, thank you once again for a great post, Meteor! Well, today I did my first ever successful scalp wash! Only time will tell if I got it clean enough but so far I'm really happy! What I did was, I put my hair in a high bun near the crown of my head and put on my shower cap and got in the shower like normal, and just pushed the shower cap up off my nape and washed that bit in the shower. When I got out, I patted it dry with my hair towel and took my bun out and moved it down to my nape, as low as I could get it. Then I covered it with a plastic bag and wrapped a hair tie around it. Then I leaned over the sink and washed every thing else and rinsed with a cup. It's mostly dry now, and the only thing that I'm finding annoying is my scalp down to my shoulders is wavey again but everything else is straight from being in buns LOL

So...I'm just wondering. I don't think I've ever seen a shampoo with Salicylic acid in it (though I've never looked either) but I do have many facial cleansers that do when I was using it for acne. Would it be safe to use them on my scalp??

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Hm. I don't have much to add for you, Nadine :( I just lurkread because my Italian has horrible SD. But, I have a question for our walking database of everything, Meteor:
You said that salicylic acid is a good maintenance ingredient in shampoos. Now, sadly many of the shampoos you've talked about aren't available here. I do know that only ketoconazole and selenium sylphide helps my so's scalp and tar does not help at all. If we wanted to experiment with salicylic acid, is it a possibility to mix aspirine powder into ones shampoo? Like, how some people *cough* me *cough* sometimes exfoliate with aspirin, because of it's exfoliating amazingness?

Unless it's a really common ingredient found in many shampoos, but even if that was the case it would probably be too low a dose for my greasebeast. Or could that do harm to the scalp? He is a shorthair (hiss boo) so dryness is not a concern for him.

Nadine, I hope you find a solution, frizzy hair is so annoying!

Majorane, you are too kind! :flowers: I'm not that knowledgeable, unfortunately, and I've never actually tried an aspirin mask, but I've heard good stuff about it. You'll find aspirin scalp treatment recipes all over the internet, but I would suggest using 2% salicylic acid concentration, since that seems to be the standard for salicylic acid shampoos. You will probably need less if it's just for maintenance. Another option would be to use an alcohol-free skin toner or diluted gel with salicylic acid (they are often marketed for fighting acne or inflammation) on scalp before or right after a shampoo wash, rinsing off after a few minutes. But check all the ingredients really well first to make sure it's OK on scalp. Salicylic acid is an active ingredient and will always be listed very clearly (including % concentration) on all skin-care and hair-care products.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not surprised that coal tar didn't help your SO: there is some research (e.g. Comparative anti-dandruff efficacy between a tar and a non-tar shampoo - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10773717) showing that it's not a very effective anti-dandruff ingredient (but it's a very old, well-known and well-tested one) and anecdotally, many of my friends found coal tar to be a bit of a waste of time for them, too.

Another thing worth mentioning is that some get the best results by alternating the use of different over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoos: they can keep their dandruff at bay by rotating two or three medicated shampoos, but not if they stick with just one type of anti-dandruff shampoo. So if your SO likes both ketoconazole and selenium sulphide, he can rotate Nizoral and H&S, for example, until his scalp recovers completely (keep it on hand for potential future flare-ups, though).

Oh, and anti-dandruff shampoos ideally should be massaged carefully for about 2-3 minutes into scalp to get maximum effect since they are a wash-off product, so the actives need at least a couple minutes to start working.

Meteor would have to answer that one, but I think I've read (somewhere) that you *can* add aspirin to your shampoo for those purposes. I'm not exactly sure how much, though.
You are absolutely right, and there were some old threads on aspirin for dandruff: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9650
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-29431.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-62794.html
You can research recipes (they are all over the Internet), but make sure the concentration is not too high (~2%), and you will probably need to use pH testing strips! Self-made stuff can get unsafe, tricky and expensive, so I'd definitely search local pharmacies for a commercial product with BHA first. :)

meteor
February 5th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Ohhhh, thank you once again for a great post, Meteor! Well, today I did my first ever successful scalp wash! Only time will tell if I got it clean enough but so far I'm really happy! What I did was, I put my hair in a high bun near the crown of my head and put on my shower cap and got in the shower like normal, and just pushed the shower cap up off my nape and washed that bit in the shower. When I got out, I patted it dry with my hair towel and took my bun out and moved it down to my nape, as low as I could get it. Then I covered it with a plastic bag and wrapped a hair tie around it. Then I leaned over the sink and washed every thing else and rinsed with a cup. It's mostly dry now, and the only thing that I'm finding annoying is my scalp down to my shoulders is wavey again but everything else is straight from being in buns LOL
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad this worked for you! :happydance:
It really comes in handy as hair grows longer and longer, especially if you have the kind of hair that takes a long time to dry or detangle.
For the texture thing, it's probably inevitable, as you wetted some part of hair but the rest stayed dry, but after my hair fully air-dries and I comb it out, I never see a difference... But this is probably pretty individual and depends on your natural texture.

So...I'm just wondering. I don't think I've ever seen a shampoo with Salicylic acid in it (though I've never looked either) but I do have many facial cleansers that do when I was using it for acne. Would it be safe to use them on my scalp??
If you have a local Target around where you live or Ulta or probably other stores, too, you should find Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo (http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Deep-Cleansing-Shampoo-_p_732.html).
And since you've tried Neutrogena T-gel (tar coal based) on your doctor's recommendation, how about Neutrogena T/Sal (with Salicylic acid at 3%) (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-sal-+therapeutic+shampoo+-+scalp+build-up+control.do) - please check with your doctor if he/she thinks it's OK, as tar coal didn't work too well.
Neutrogena has a milder, conditioning, daily use version of that (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-gel-+daily+control-+2-in-1+dandruff+shampoo+plus+conditioner.do?sortby=ourP icks&refType=1), too. I think there are quite a few salicylic acid (BHA) products around, but it probably varies by location...

velorutionista
February 5th, 2015, 03:40 PM
This may not work for you (and I'm not dealing with SD, so can't say what affect it may have), but my solution to winter static is shea butter--a really shea-heavy leave-in on the last 12-18" of my ends (so shoulder length on down or so, not close to my scalp because it's weighty and flattens my fine hair if it's too far up). Smooth it on when my ends are damp or (smaller amounts) when my ends are dry and it works wonders.

Nadine <3
February 6th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad this worked for you! :happydance:
It really comes in handy as hair grows longer and longer, especially if you have the kind of hair that takes a long time to dry or detangle.
For the texture thing, it's probably inevitable, as you wetted some part of hair but the rest stayed dry, but after my hair fully air-dries and I comb it out, I never see a difference... But this is probably pretty individual and depends on your natural texture.

If you have a local Target around where you live or Ulta or probably other stores, too, you should find Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo (http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Deep-Cleansing-Shampoo-_p_732.html).
And since you've tried Neutrogena T-gel (tar coal based) on your doctor's recommendation, how about Neutrogena T/Sal (with Salicylic acid at 3%) (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-sal-+therapeutic+shampoo+-+scalp+build-up+control.do) - please check with your doctor if he/she thinks it's OK, as tar coal didn't work too well.
Neutrogena has a milder, conditioning, daily use version of that (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-gel-+daily+control-+2-in-1+dandruff+shampoo+plus+conditioner.do?sortby=ourP icks&refType=1), too. I think there are quite a few salicylic acid (BHA) products around, but it probably varies by location...

I'm not worried about the texture thing, my hair acts like a shape shifter. It's amazing how straight I can make my waves when I just comb my hair wet. It doesn't really get frizzy either, it just stretches out. Not only that, but my hair went up after it died anyways, I just thought it looked hilarious. My Nizoral shampoo came in the mail today and tomorrow I'm doing a full shower and I'm really hoping it works because I'm so itchy and I found flakes in my hair this morning when I was braiding and it freaked me out.

I've seen that shea moisture product at our walmart, but I've always avoided it because it's sulfate free. My scalp has never done well with anything sulfate free, I get super itchy, bumpy and I shed 4x the usual amount...

This may not work for you (and I'm not dealing with SD, so can't say what affect it may have), but my solution to winter static is shea butter--a really shea-heavy leave-in on the last 12-18" of my ends (so shoulder length on down or so, not close to my scalp because it's weighty and flattens my fine hair if it's too far up). Smooth it on when my ends are damp or (smaller amounts) when my ends are dry and it works wonders.

Oh maybe I'll try that! I have some shea that I use for my skin. I used it in my hair once, but couldn't handle the smell, but it did make my hair soft after I washed it out...

meteor
February 6th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I really hope Nizoral will work beautifully for you, Nadine <3! :thumbsup: Let us know how it goes!
And I absolutely agree with velorutionista's shea butter recommendation against static. :)
If it happens to be too heavy on its own, just dilute it with a bit of conditioner and/or oil (personally, I like coco-shea mix, but other oils work beautifully, too).

lapushka
February 7th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Do use it as per instructions, Nadine. I used to put it in my hair (it suds up easily), suds it up a *tiny* bit, leave it for 5 min., then suds up and wash thoroughly and rinse.

chrissy-b
February 7th, 2015, 11:35 AM
One thing I would try for the static is to stop using oil and try misting your length with water and a little conditioner mixed in. When my hair is super dry and static-y oil does tame it down, but seems to make the static worse when my hair is freshly washed. Just something to consider.