PDA

View Full Version : What type of bun is this?

Doreen
February 1st, 2015, 01:16 PM
A couple of years ago my friend's mom (who has TBL hair) taught me how to do this bun but I have no idea what it's called. It's become my go-to bun that I wear basically every other day and I feel kind of silly not even knowing the name!

The way I do it is, I twist my hair at the base of my neck and pull the twist up to make a loop vertically. I put my hand through the loop and use the other hand to keep twisting the remaining hair around the base of the loop. When I finish going around, I bend the loop down over the wrapped parts of hair and insert a stick. I do not pull the ends through the loop; they are tucked between the looped and unlooped parts. It is kind of like a bee butt bun, except the loop at the top is kept bigger by my hand so that it can be used to come down and surround and flatten the bun against my head.

Here is a picture, although the lighting is terrible:
https://40.media.tumblr.com/0b2dc49cda30490a78849e26c9258234/tumblr_nj0s0e6j061the2bao1_540.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
February 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure what that bun is called but it's a pretty one:)

TrapperCreekD
February 1st, 2015, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure but it sounds/looks really cool!

Gumball
February 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
It sounds like a nautilus bun with the length being twisted instead of loose when making the bun. :)

Anje
February 1st, 2015, 04:01 PM
Sounds like how I do a lazy wrap bun. They fall apart on me if I don't twist that first loop.

ETA: It's worth mentioning that nautilus and lazy wrap are almost identical. There's some wobble over how they're made, whether you twist, etc., but the end result has the same topology even if it was formed in a different manner and therefore gives you a slightly different look. :)

Wildcat Diva
February 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM
My lazy wrap and nautilus are nothing alike. I can't do a LWB to save my life anymore, it's so loose it falls apart. I have watched tons of videos and it doesn't help. My nautilus, however, is rock solid. The nautilus I do is a loop that gets crammed over a twisted "stem" before a hairstick or fork is inserted.

Seeshami
February 1st, 2015, 05:34 PM
It sounds like a lazy wrap bun to me as well.

browneyedsusan
February 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Sounds like how I do a lazy wrap bun. They fall apart on me if I don't twist that first loop.

ETA: It's worth mentioning that nautilus and lazy wrap are almost identical. There's some wobble over how they're made, whether you twist, etc., but the end result has the same topology even if it was formed in a different manner and therefore gives you a slightly different look. :)

THANK you for saying it out loud! I make each slightly differently, but the end result is identical. I've never been able to figure out the difference between the two!

meteor
February 4th, 2015, 05:00 PM
THANK you for saying it out loud! I make each slightly differently, but the end result is identical. I've never been able to figure out the difference between the two!

^ I agree. The topology of the end result is pretty much the same for LWB and nautilus, it's just the bunning process that's slightly different (in different order).
And does anybody know why nautilus bun is called "nautilus"? It doesn't look like the real nautilus mollusc to me, unlike, say, cinnabun... :confused: