PDA

View Full Version : What Was Your Worst Hair Moment?

Red'N'Curly
February 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM
What is the worst thing that has ever happened to your hair?

Here's mine:

4 years ago I had a job caring for developmentally disabled children. I had my hair in a ponytail, but one of my kids (a 13-year-old boy with a developmental age of 18 months) grabbed it and dropped to the ground to throw a fit, pulling me down with him. I wasn't until the next morning in the shower that a big clump fell out! I had a bald spot the size of a 50 cent piece. Eventually it grew back in :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/222143_1925757899206_4062312_n.jpg?oh=21cb56c8ee12 3014d719ca6cdeca0d04&oe=55563187&__gda__=1433242078_af41e38c29ab811d70450fdd57f1cb8 d

Any other Hair Horror Stories?

Loribelle
February 1st, 2015, 07:59 AM
I don't have pictures, but I've had TWO "worst hair moments". The first was when I was a child, visiting my grandparents for the summer. I always had tangles and it hurt to comb them out. So I didn't. We never had conditioner, or detangler. Just a hard comb and horrible shampoo-- like Head and Shoulders or Prell---from the 70's/80's. Terrible knot makers. My grandfather got tired of the crying and fighting to comb my hair, so one day when my hair was in a knotty ponytail, he cut it off! Lesson learned.
The second was radiation treatment for cancer. I had huge bald spots. Like yours-- fifty cent piece sized. I had 4 big spots and a smaller one that was about the size of a quarter. That was 4 years ago, so I still have weird short spots in my hair, but luckily, I have so much hair, I'm the only one who can tell ;)

LeMimi13
February 1st, 2015, 08:11 AM
I had a horse do that to me .... he bi5 my haur..

Red'N'Curly
February 1st, 2015, 08:46 AM
I don't have pictures, but I've had TWO "worst hair moments". The first was when I was a child, visiting my grandparents for the summer. I always had tangles and it hurt to comb them out. So I didn't. We never had conditioner, or detangler. Just a hard comb and horrible shampoo-- like Head and Shoulders or Prell---from the 70's/80's. Terrible knot makers. My grandfather got tired of the crying and fighting to comb my hair, so one day when my hair was in a knotty ponytail, he cut it off! Lesson learned.
The second was radiation treatment for cancer. I had huge bald spots. Like yours-- fifty cent piece sized. I had 4 big spots and a smaller one that was about the size of a quarter. That was 4 years ago, so I still have weird short spots in my hair, but luckily, I have so much hair, I'm the only one who can tell ;)

My Pa used to threaten that but never actually cut it off ;) And I'm sorry for your struggle with cancer, but since that was 4 years ago I'm hoping you're healthy now? What a strong lady! :)

I had a horse do that to me .... he bi5 my haur.. Did you bite him back? ;)

DweamGoiL
February 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM
When I was a child, I attempted to dry my classic length hair with the wind generated by the livingroom fan. I bent at the waist and let my hair swing down before me, but it got caught in the fan blades and began pulling my hair and head towards it. My grandmother came running when she heard me screaming, disconnected the fan, and patiently unraveled me loose. That was really scary!

Eastbound&Down
February 1st, 2015, 09:01 AM
Mine was at a salon. In high school I had TBL hair that was in amazingly good shape despite me being on the swim team, in chlorine everyday, heat styling and dying often. I went in to have my hair done for a dance and the lady burned off a huge chunk of hair with a curling iron because she wasn't paying attention talking to another stylist. She wouldn't listen to me until I started screaming. She had to cut the curling iron out of my hair it was burnt so bad. I was devastated and that s why I hate salons.

raemarthe
February 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM
When I was young I accidentally singed a good chunk of my hair off because I got too close to a candle... it smelled awful haha.

jacqueline101
February 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM
I had a terrible perm that broke chunks of the ends of my hair. I was devastated and was about to to shave it off. My next to the youngest brother jimmy cut my hair from bsl to sl. That was to get rid of the broken hair and damage. I used monistat to grow it out along with daily oiling. I had horrible hair. I'm glad I didn't take pictures of it.

maryalana
February 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM
When I was 16 I had waist length hair. Like most teenagers, I was prone to a little bit of rebellion and one summer night my best friend and I got our hands on some alcohol. After discussing how much my hair bothered me in the summer we decided that an undercut would be perfect. She said that she would take off the hair that was on the nape of my neck. The next morning I realized that it was horribly off center. The front wasn't even and it angled up towards the back. I ended up having to shaving above eye level to even things out. My mom cried when she saw what I had done and I ended up with my first pixie cut two months later. I learned the hard way never to trust a drunk teenager with a bic razor.

AspenSong
February 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM
I feel pretty lucky reading this thread! I haven't had anything horribly bad go wrong with mine. Probably the worst was allowing myself to be pressured into a black dye job by a friend at the time. She dyed her hair black and while it sort of suited her, I knew in my gut it wouldn't suit me probably. However after much pressuring, I did it. Dyed my hair a blue/black color and it was wretched. I looked like a corpse or badly ill. I dealt for a week and then I was trying to remove it and dye it anything a bit lighter to live with and I messed my hair up pretty badly trying to lift enough to dye over....I had neon orange hair for a few days that was straw and then I dyed it an ash brown. My hair was never the same until it grew that part out, it just destroyed it.
And the only other moment that about ties that moment is when I was 17 and had grown my hair to a bit past TBL and I had my Aunt and Grandmother constantly on my case about it and cutting it and how bad it looked, so in a crying fit I hacked it to about APL and then let my Aunt take me for a nice haircut and cut it into a shoulder length shag. They were thrilled, I felt like puking. =(

Stormynights
February 1st, 2015, 10:49 AM
I hadn't been married to my present husband that long when I was cooking a turkey in one of those foil pans. When I removed it from the oven it bent right in the center and made like a funnel and the grease from the turkey and butter I had basted it with poured in the oven. It looked like a big ball of fire coming out of the oven and hit me in the face. Immediately my glasses turned black and I couldn't see a thing. Here I am holding a turkey and couldn't see a thing when my husband started beating me on the head. I need help not beat up and I was furious, but I couldn't see to put the turkey down to defend myself. I finally got the turkey set down and ripped off my glasses so I could see. My husband was still beating me on the head. I screamed what the hell is wrong with you and some other not nice words. He said but your hair. He was beating me because I was on fire. My hair was gone around my face and I looked like crap for months.

Halliday
February 1st, 2015, 10:51 AM
having my curly hair cut into a chin length bob when i was 11. i had to blow it out every day because it only looked good straight.

petitepraline
February 1st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Worst hair moment was this one time I went to get my hair done at a salon. The stylist made so many rude indirect comments, like "Some people have nice hair so its a pleasure to work with" while pulling and tugging at mine. She also kept sighing really loudly. It was just not a good experience. In all fairness, my hair is struggle and probably not what she was used to but I thought it was really unprofessional.

Majorane
February 1st, 2015, 11:55 AM
I hadn't been married to my present husband that long when I was cooking a turkey in one of those foil pans. When I removed it from the oven it bent right in the center and made like a funnel and the grease from the turkey and butter I had basted it with poured in the oven. It looked like a big ball of fire coming out of the oven and hit me in the face. Immediately my glasses turned black and I couldn't see a thing. Here I am holding a turkey and couldn't see a thing when my husband started beating me on the head. I need help not beat up and I was furious, but I couldn't see to put the turkey down to defend myself. I finally got the turkey set down and ripped off my glasses so I could see. My husband was still beating me on the head. I screamed what the hell is wrong with you and some other not nice words. He said but your hair. He was beating me because I was on fire. My hair was gone around my face and I looked like crap for months.
Should I laugh? Should I cringe in fear? That is one horrid story, hilariously told! Oh that must have been terrifying....

ALL the stories here are terrifying. I don't have any to compete you with, but these are awful. Especially since a lot of them are also quite painful or dangerous....

Eastbound&Down
February 1st, 2015, 01:08 PM
having my curly hair cut into a chin length bob when i was 11. i had to blow it out every day because it only looked good straight.

Oh girl the struggle is real! I feel ya

AlyBlu
February 1st, 2015, 01:56 PM
I have three - and they involve =either fire or salons - guess many of us have the same horror stories.

First - My Dad was a single parent - and I needed a cut and a hair clean up, I was twelve and probably had not had my hair touched in four years. So my Dad sent me to a friend at the salon with strict instructions not to cut more than two inches. Well the stylist knew my dad was single - and she was out to mingle. Thought my making his kid "Look Better" she would get a date. So, regardless of what he said - she grabbed my hair and cut about twenty inches straight off. And then proceeded to cut about another four - She just knew he was going to be so happy that his kid looked better and he would see she was not opposed to a man with baggage - yeah she said all that in front of me. I was freaking out the whole time. This was my first "On My Own" experience - he had dropped me off - and I was to ride the bus to his work. I left in tears - cried the whole way on the bus - and my dad broke down in tears when he saw me. I went from mid thigh length hair to just longer than a pixie but by the time she was done with me. needless to say - she did not get the date.

Second - someone in middle school thought it would be funny to play with a lighter behind my back acting like she was going to set my hair on fire - and yup - she did. I had no idea what was happening behind me until I had a flame run up my hair as the whole room started screaming.

And third - another salon - yea you know the story. Rude remarks about the hair as she cut way more than I gave permission to cut - even my husband lost it at her.

Echileruwen
February 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Stormynights, what an awful experience! I'm glad you're OK.

AlyBlu, I can relate to the childhood chopping event. So sorry to hear that it happened.

My worst hair day was probably the time I had green hair for several hours.

I was in college in the early 1980’s and had been dying my hair so it was much lighter than my natural color. I got tired of touching up the roots and went to a beauty college to have them dye all my hair as close as possible to its natural color so I could just let it grow out and be done with it.

The beautician in training told me I’d look good with red hair. I told her I want to go back to my natural color and not dye it again. She repeated that she thought I’d look good with red hair. I repeated what I’d said. When she finished, I saw that she had dyed my hair red! I was upset because I wanted my original color, and she told me they’re a beauty school and I signed a paper saying I know that and can’t sue.

Their instructor came over to see what all the fuss was about and assigned me to another student. I had pictures of my hair before it was dyed with me that I brought to help them match my natural color. This student put some green stuff on my head to get rid of the red, and someone told her that her boyfriend was on his way to see her. She got upset about the idea of him seeing her without makeup on her face to cover her (pretty deep) scars from an accident and left. The boyfriend came and left, and by the time she returned and washed the stuff off my hair it was noticeably greenish. She reminded me that this was a beauty school and I’d signed that paper.

I went to the beauty school because I was a starving student at the time and didn’t want to pay for a salon or the upkeep of the hair color, but after that I went straight to a few beauty salons looking for help. Most didn’t have time because it was getting close to the end of the day, but I found someone who was willing to stay late and fix the mess. She did a good job considering what she had to work with, but my head had sores and my hair felt awful from all the chemicals.

I never went to a beauty school or dyed my hair again, and I kept an eye out for those two for quite a while so I’d never make the mistake of allowing them to touch my head again, but never saw either of them after that. Maybe they got kicked out of beauty school??? Now I can laugh about having had green hair, but at the time I was really upset.

AlyBlu
February 1st, 2015, 02:09 PM
Oh - beauty school nightmare - I am so sorry they did that too you!!!

blue_eyes
February 1st, 2015, 02:22 PM
I shudder with horror when I recall this: almost 2 years ago I attempted to go from black dyed hair to blonde (I've attempted several times before, apparently I never learn). I went to the salon with waist length black hair, I left with APL red/yellow/orange hair with brown patches.
Next day I washed my hair in the sink and chunks, literal chunks, began to come out. It never seemed to stop. I'd run my fingers through my hair and huge amounts would come out. I freaked out, thinking it was from my scalp...it wasn't. Once my hair dried it became apparent that my hair had broken somewhere along the strand, and what I was losing was huge sections of length. Some sections of remaining hair were only an inch or 2 long, others were anywhere from 3-6, and the rest of my hair was still at APL. It looked awful, I quit dyeing and bleaching, and my hair has been recovering ever since. I've been microtrimming the length and trying to let all those broken chunks catch up.
I don't think I'd ever felt such horror in my life as when I thought all my hair was falling out of my scalp.

Eastbound&Down
February 1st, 2015, 03:57 PM
I shudder with horror when I recall this: almost 2 years ago I attempted to go from black dyed hair to blonde (I've attempted several times before, apparently I never learn). I went to the salon with waist length black hair, I left with APL red/yellow/orange hair with brown patches.
Next day I washed my hair in the sink and chunks, literal chunks, began to come out. It never seemed to stop. I'd run my fingers through my hair and huge amounts would come out. I freaked out, thinking it was from my scalp...it wasn't. Once my hair dried it became apparent that my hair had broken somewhere along the strand, and what I was losing was huge sections of length. Some sections of remaining hair were only an inch or 2 long, others were anywhere from 3-6, and the rest of my hair was still at APL. It looked awful, I quit dyeing and bleaching, and my hair has been recovering ever since. I've been microtrimming the length and trying to let all those broken chunks catch up.
I don't think I'd ever felt such horror in my life as when I thought all my hair was falling out of my scalp.

Oh my! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you growing and getting healthy hair :)

MadPirateBippy
February 2nd, 2015, 03:26 PM
My Mom had a pixie most of her life, and discouraged me from doing girly fru fru stuff with my hair. I was 16 and was trying to learn to curl my hair with one of those curling irons with the spikes on them- I got it from a yard sale.

It got tangled into my hair and my brothers had to pin it down on the kitchen counter and hit it with a hammer until we could pick the pieces out of my hair. I still haven't lived it down!

brickworld13
February 2nd, 2015, 04:12 PM
I had asked for platinum blonde, but it didn't really work out. What I got was that horrible orange of bleach that just isn't effective. I has to live with it for ages until I cut short again.

maryalana
February 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
First - My Dad was a single parent - and I needed a cut and a hair clean up, I was twelve and probably had not had my hair touched in four years. So my Dad sent me to a friend at the salon with strict instructions not to cut more than two inches. Well the stylist knew my dad was single - and she was out to mingle. Thought my making his kid "Look Better" she would get a date. So, regardless of what he said - she grabbed my hair and cut about twenty inches straight off. And then proceeded to cut about another four - She just knew he was going to be so happy that his kid looked better and he would see she was not opposed to a man with baggage - yeah she said all that in front of me. I was freaking out the whole time. This was my first "On My Own" experience - he had dropped me off - and I was to ride the bus to his work. I left in tears - cried the whole way on the bus - and my dad broke down in tears when he saw me. I went from mid thigh length hair to just longer than a pixie but by the time she was done with me. needless to say - she did not get the date.

That reminds me of what happened when I was 10! My family had just moved from a small city to Toronto and, for back to school, my mom decided to treat my sister and I to a "professional" hair cut for the first time. We went to this little salon near our new house and an older woman (she could have been 25 but she seemed old to me at the time) put me in her chair and asked what I wanted. I was to young to really know much about hair but I knew I wanted layers because my mom had always cut my hair straight across. Anyway, I don't know if I just didn't know how to articulate what I wanted or if she ignored me but I ended up with a mullet. Or, at least it felt that way. She had cut the top layer to about eye level and barely touched the length of my hair which was probably APL. Her idea of face framing layers and the length in the back made me look like John Stamos in Full House. I left the salon in tears when I saw the finished product. I started at a new school two weeks later with chin length hair, cut straight across the bottom. It was the last time my hair was cut until the undercut incident (see my earlier post) and my last salon visit for almost 15 years.

I can't believe that I forgot about that, lol!

RachelRose
February 2nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
I'm going to have to go with the time I saw a hair pic with platinum blonde hair amd decided I should do that in one day from dark brown hair . My hair was so fried it fizzled when a flatiron touched it like she had stuck a lighter to it . Her face was priceless and so was mine lol . Anywho it took years to recover from that one

Sterlyn
February 2nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
My worst hair moment summed up in one pic.

http://http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Feb%205%202013/ffbf3303-5611-4361-8a99-ff103fb75b1f_zpsed747a56.jpg (http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Feb%205%202013/ffbf3303-5611-4361-8a99-ff103fb75b1f_zpsed747a56.jpg)

That picture speaks for itself and is probably the reason why I have absolutely no desire to ever have a pixie again. I spent more than a year hating my hair is it grew out..... still makes me cringe to look at it.

YvetteVarie
February 3rd, 2015, 02:38 AM
My worst hair moment was one April when I took out my hair extensions and discovered I had an unintentional mohawk!!!

What happened was that in November, I decided to lighten my hair and dye it a coppery brown (I was in uni at the time). Then when I went home for the Christamas break, I did not keep up with my deep conditioning sessions (my stylist had suggested to do them on a weekly basis). As a result, the hair at the back of my head all broke off and I was left practically bald in the back, and with chin length hair in front. I ended up cutting off all my hair and started growing my hair out from 1''

Johannah
February 3rd, 2015, 03:21 AM
When I was 10 my mom was blowdrying my hair (my hair was really long). Suddenly the blowdryer exploded. Nothing happened to my hair because it happened at a moment my mom was putting it away, but otherwise... My mom did burn her hand though.

Majorane
February 3rd, 2015, 04:30 AM
When I was 10 my mom was blowdrying my hair (my hair was really long). Suddenly the blowdryer exploded. Nothing happened to my hair because it happened at a moment my mom was putting it away, but otherwise... My mom did burn her hand though.

Did you ever find out why it happened? Did your mom's burn heal nicely? That is seriously dangerous.....

Wosie
February 3rd, 2015, 05:27 AM
I'm lucky in the way that I've never had anything really bad happening to my hair *knocks on wood*. But the first thing that came to my mind was an occurrence in the 5th grade (best year of my life, by the by)... A boy in my class, one year younger than me, was touching my hair softly while I was sitting... working with something, I guess. I thought it felt nice and was comfy, so I let him. Then all of a sudden I hear this little "snip" and look back and see him holding a long strand of my hair. o_O I wasn't crazy about hair care and didn't care much about my hair (it was about... waist-hip, I'm guessing), but it was still somewhat shocking to see it separated from my head like that.
I could still find the shorter strand that he had severed for some time afterwards. %) I can't remember getting angry with him, though (except from maybe saying "what are you doing?" with an incredulous tone). I also remember running after him around a table, trying to get it back, I guess. :laugh: I think he had autism or something similar to it.

JellyBene
February 3rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I'd have to say it was shaving my head to 1/2 inch to get a new start from bleaching it platinum during TLCH hiatus.... I just couldn't stand the thought of the growout process.

Nadine <3
February 3rd, 2015, 04:10 PM
When I was in first grade I had probably about BSL hair that I would not let my mom touch because she brushed it starting at the top and trying to rip a paddle brush straight through. She would just hold my head in place with one hand and rip with the other...and well, it hurt! So I ran around with big rats nests all the time, and my mom got tired of looking at it all messy, and fighting me over it so she took me to "get a trim" but she told the stylist to give me a pixie when I wasn't paying attention. It was a terrible bowl cut, and I sobbed all the way home. My mom got me feeling okay about it by telling me she loved it over and over all weekend and telling me it looked cute and letting me use her shampoo when I washed instead of the kid stuff that I usually used. Monday when I went to school, I was turned around and I herd "HEY BRANDON" shouted from behind. When I turned around on of my classmates said "Oh sorry, you're not Brandon" He had the same bowl cute that I did. I went home and cried. I hated it as it grew out too, because I got picked on for having a mullet.

AlyBlu
February 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
That reminds me of what happened when I was 10! My family had just moved from a small city to Toronto and, for back to school, my mom decided to treat my sister and I to a "professional" hair cut for the first time. We went to this little salon near our new house and an older woman (she could have been 25 but she seemed old to me at the time) put me in her chair and asked what I wanted. I was to young to really know much about hair but I knew I wanted layers because my mom had always cut my hair straight across. Anyway, I don't know if I just didn't know how to articulate what I wanted or if she ignored me but I ended up with a mullet. Or, at least it felt that way. She had cut the top layer to about eye level and barely touched the length of my hair which was probably APL. Her idea of face framing layers and the length in the back made me look like John Stamos in Full House. I left the salon in tears when I saw the finished product. I started at a new school two weeks later with chin length hair, cut straight across the bottom. It was the last time my hair was cut until the undercut incident (see my earlier post) and my last salon visit for almost 15 years.

I can't believe that I forgot about that, lol! it is amazing how many bad salon adventures we all have had!

jupiterinleo
February 3rd, 2015, 08:35 PM
When I was in first grade I had probably about BSL hair that I would not let my mom touch because she brushed it starting at the top and trying to rip a paddle brush straight through. She would just hold my head in place with one hand and rip with the other...and well, it hurt! So I ran around with big rats nests all the time, and my mom got tired of looking at it all messy, and fighting me over it so she took me to "get a trim" but she told the stylist to give me a pixie when I wasn't paying attention. It was a terrible bowl cut, and I sobbed all the way home. My mom got me feeling okay about it by telling me she loved it over and over all weekend and telling me it looked cute and letting me use her shampoo when I washed instead of the kid stuff that I usually used. Monday when I went to school, I was turned around and I herd "HEY BRANDON" shouted from behind. When I turned around on of my classmates said "Oh sorry, you're not Brandon" He had the same bowl cute that I did. I went home and cried. I hated it as it grew out too, because I got picked on for having a mullet.

Oh no, that's horrible! I did have a good chuckle at the "Brandon" part though, forgive me.

In the first grade I went from waist-length hair to a very short bob. Except on me, a bob turns into a mushroom because my hair has a tendency to poof. I hated it and it looked ridiculous.

In high school, I went through a phase of not combing or brushing my waist/hip-length hair for long periods of time for some reason. (I was lazy? Rebellious? Idk) So at one point I ended up developing an actual, literal dread underneath the canopy of my hair. Just one medium-sized, flattened bit of rat's nest that I never noticed because it was covered by the top of my hair. My friends ended up combing it out for me and it was quite the painful, time-consuming ordeal. I started combing my hair again after that.

gwenalyn
February 4th, 2015, 01:50 AM
This wasn't awful, but it is probably the worst. One of my earliest memories is sitting out on the deck with my dad, who was cutting my hair. Probably with kitchen scissors. My mom came home just as we were finishing up, gasped, and exclaimed, "Joe! You don't cut hair like you're carving a pumpkin!"

Johannah
February 4th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Did you ever find out why it happened? Did your mom's burn heal nicely? That is seriously dangerous.....

We still don't know. Maybe the blowdryer was too old, but still this shouldn't have happened. My mom's hand healed very well.

And since then I don't like blowdryers anymore.

veryhairyfairy
February 4th, 2015, 08:27 AM
The only one I can think of that wasn't self inflicted is the buzz cut of doom when I was 5. My parents were trying to fit in with their alt friends (lol!) and decided that since it was cool to have buzz cuts, all four of their children (and they themselves) would also get buzz cuts. (Right before I entered kindergarten, too!)

In retrospect, the most hilarious thing was that my mom actually asked me if I wanted it long, short, or medium, and there I was thinking, I want it chin length, so I asked for 'medium'! :lol:

I can't tell you how many times I got asked if I was male or female, and I still get really up in arms if I see someone questioning a young child's gender based on hair.

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 09:27 AM

My mom still has her blowdryer from the sixties, it was an orange Babyliss one. Well, was... *is*. :lol: Hey, it still works!

Majorane
February 4th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah, my mom stil has some old, shiny metal (aluminum, I suppose) hairdryer too, really old, thread cord, heavy as can be but with the engine of a small aeroplane powering it. And I just gave away a Carmen hotcurl set in probably the same shade of orange that your mom's hairdryer must be. Also, super powerful and indestructible. Which is a derail, but I loooove old stuff!

And Johanna, yeah, an exploding hairdryer would put me off from blowdrying, too. Very much.

I once went to a salon and when the lady asked me what I wanted for a cut, I said 'just a little bit off, please. I'm going to grow it loooooong.' She said something sassy like how I should get short hair, and I talked a bit with her how I'd had it short for a long time and was finally growing longer because I wanted a change. All very amicially. And then I took of my glasses and when I put them back on after the haircut, which was rather nice and chatty, I noticed that my almost APL hair was gone and it was not even brushin my shoulders. I was shocked, I said something, and she said smugly 'you wanted to grow it long, right, well now you can grow it a loooooooong time.' After a lot of polite fussing the owner of the salon offered to recut me the next day, but what can you do? There was no way he could glue my hair back on.
I was in a very timid phase back then, so I was very polite in saying I didn't think she cut me well. If it had been done nowadays I'd have cut off her hair, too, as revenge. I'm nt one to cry over my appearances much, but then I did cry afterwards. What a snot she was!

Of course this is not nearly as bad as some other people have had it but her snotty remark made me feel so violated. Like she could decide what my head looked like. Strong, strong hate.

MicheleZ
February 4th, 2015, 09:53 AM
My worst hair moment was when I decided to let my hair hang down my back while motorcycle riding - yep not too bright! I came home to the WORST tangles I have ever had and worked on them for a very long while, eventually giving up and ripping them out (ouch).

monaaa75
February 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
my worst moment was when I had long layers on my lovely hair that is super fine and thin. I wanted kim kardashian hairstyle but reality punched me in my face pretty quickly hhaha

endlessly
February 20th, 2015, 11:43 AM
All of my worst hair moments unfortunately take place at salons like most everyone else's.

The worst one by far took place about 4 years ago. Not to boast, but I had gorgeous hair at the time, it fell to just about hip length, had bouncy soft curls at the end, and was this incredibly pretty reddish golden brown color. Somehow, I got the idea in my head that I needed to cut it because my coworkers at the time were telling me repeatedly how ugly it looked and that I had all these split ends (lies, all of it). So, I went to the Great Clips in the mall where I worked with a picture of what I wanted my new hair to look like - only a few inches off the bottom with very subtle layers cut no higher than waist length. Honestly, I didn't think it was that difficult of a request and the young stylist reassured me that she would only take off the amount I told her. However, since I know some stylists get scissor-crazy when they see someone with long hair, I actually showed her on my own hair where I wanted the shortest layer to be (again, only WAIST LENGTH).

So, the haircut started off normally enough, she sectioned the top half and clipped it up, then trimmed the bottom layer up a few inches - no big deal, right? Then, she told me that I needed to keep my head down and physically forced my chin to rest on my chest (it should have been a warning sign, but I was naive) and unclipped the top section which was at least 80% of my hair. Now, since I had my head down, I didn't actually see what had happened, but I felt her section another top part of my hair (roughly 40%) and pull it straight up - at this point, I assumed she was going to clip that up like she'd done previously, but instead, I heard the scissors, saw huge chunks of my hair fall into my lap, and her exclaim, "Oops, well, I can fix that."

Not going to lie, but I started to have a panic attack. The top portion she had cut started right below my ears and fell to my shoulders (very blunt, choppy layers...if you can even call it that) with the rest of my hair sitting at just about waist length. While having my panic attack and crying, she said I was "over-reacting" because it was "just hair and would grow back" and then proceeded to try to fix it for me. I should have gotten up and walked out and honestly looking back, I wish I had the backbone to do just that, but I was in too much shock to actually move and basically allowed her to keep hacking away at my hair. When it was all said and done, my hair was cut to a point with a long section (no layering, by the way) hitting waist length and the rest roughly hacked into layers. It looked terrible and like I was at that awkward "growing out a mullet" stage. I had recovered enough at this stage to tell her I wasn't happy and there was no way I was paying for this terrible haircut to which she responded that she would call the police, so in order to prevent an even bigger scene, I paid the $9 (this should have been my other red flag when a haircut only costs that much) and started to walk out. Then, she had the nerve to demand a tip for all of her "hard work". Thankfully, I'm proud to say I gave her a death stare (if I hadn't been such a polite, young lady at the time, I would've gladly given her the finger) and stormed out.

When I got home, still in tears, I contacted the main headquarters of Great Clips and filed a complaint. I remember receiving an email apologizing profusely for the treatment I had received and that they had "looked into the situation" and handled it accordingly and reassured me that they do not condone that type of behavior from their stylists and then they offered me several vouchers to receive free haircuts in order to repair the damage that had been done. I did go back in to use one of them since I needed to even out the monstrosity that the first girl had created and actually had the manager attempt to fix the situation and while her skills weren't much better than the first attempt, at least it looked a little more even (although, to be fair, I had to wear it clipped up for 6 months, so it wasn't much of an improvement). I felt a little bad learning the original "stylist" had lost her job, but considering how she spoke to me, I wouldn't have been surprised to learn she'd treated others like that, too.

Long story short, I ended up not using the rest of the vouchers since I didn't trust a Great Clips ever again, and my last professional haircut was two years ago at Ulta in order to even everything out. I've accompanied my friends and even my mom to salons since, but I've learned to notice the maniacal gleam in hair stylist's eyes once they see my hair and since it's headed towards knee-length, I've learned to never let another human being near me with scissors ever again lest history repeat itself!

endlessly
February 20th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Mine was at a salon. In high school I had TBL hair that was in amazingly good shape despite me being on the swim team, in chlorine everyday, heat styling and dying often. I went in to have my hair done for a dance and the lady burned off a huge chunk of hair with a curling iron because she wasn't paying attention talking to another stylist. She wouldn't listen to me until I started screaming. She had to cut the curling iron out of my hair it was burnt so bad. I was devastated and that s why I hate salons.

This gives me anxiety just reading it, I cannot even comprehend how you were feeling!

MagicalMystery
February 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
When I was 5, my sister brought me to get my first cool hair cut. My mum hated it although I loved it, and she chopped it all off into a very short pixie... which I despised.

mothcub
February 20th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I can show you one of my worst hair moments. Can't say whether I was even bothered at this age though!

http://cdn1.lomography.com/48/a8a378ae20aa2117fde71fe885dec3e5477011/2059x2676x2.jpg?auth=d6edd2e5ee76f12e617a7420d4e39 9fd673097e3

mindwiped
February 20th, 2015, 02:52 PM
mothcub, that looks like my kindergarten photo. I was a chewer, and developed the habit of chewing on my hair, so I remember Mom taking me, and instructing the hairstylest to make sure that NONE of her (my) hair could stretch to fit in my mouth. Thank goodness Mary Lou Retten was the in thing, because this was a pixie/mullet/bob combo. Then she dressed me in a cute dress, with a jacket-type top. The under layer was baby blue, the jacket was navy. I look like a little boy, especially since there was no embroidery or girly trim on anything above the waist.

OTOH, it got me to stop chewing on my hair.

Creagan
February 21st, 2015, 12:36 AM
My worst hair moment luckily didn't last longer than a day. But it was pretty awful.

My hair likes to change it's texture with the humidity. I can go from almost stick-straight to 2b-type waves after walking around in the rain for a little bit.

Well, one day I was doing college visits, and I got stuck outside during a storm. Only this wasn't any storm. It was super super windy, and instead of normal rain the droplets were super tiny. (But falling hard.)

You know what standard poodle's fur looks like when it isn't brushed out? Super curly but also kind of matted up? Yeah, my hair did THAT, and stayed like that until I was able to take a shower.

Pinni
February 22nd, 2015, 04:06 AM
My worst hair moment was at salon. Like so many others write here too. I wanted her to cut my ends and side bangs. Insteed she cut me hair model with knife. After that I have always said to hairdresser to not use knife when cutting. My hair is fine so I think it don't need thinning effect. It took months to get it more normal looking.

Pinni
February 22nd, 2015, 04:14 AM
My worst hair moment was at salon. Like so many others write here too. I wanted my ends and side bangs cut. Hairdresser cut them with knife. I don't know why. (After that I have always said to hairdresser to not use knife when cutting.) My hair is fine so I think it don't need thinning effect. My hair looked strange and half thinner than before. It took months to get it "more normal". I don't have picture and if I did I'm not sure I could post it here. :)

Waverly
February 22nd, 2015, 05:16 AM
Some of these stories are horrific! Mine pale in comparison. First one would be New Year's Eve on year when I ws a teenager. A friend of my brother was so drunk he puked all over my hair and gorgeous new dress as we were counting down to midnight.
Second one was all my fault - I was a teenager & I'd had way too much to drink (I'm seeing a pattern here). Anyway I got home and decided I was hungry so I'd cook myself something (yep, blind drunk at about 2am with a knife and a gas stove - what could possibly go wrong?!). I didn't think anything was going wrong until I started to smell this awful accrid smell. If you guessed that one side of my previously lovely waist length hair was happily burning away on the stove congrats! I blew it out and didn't think much of it until I woke up the next morning and saw my lovely waist length hair on my left side and some singed armpit length mess on my right side. I had to have the whole lot cut to apl to even it up. I think the worst part was explaining what had happened to the hairdresser and watch her laughing openly the entire time she was cutting it

Pinni
February 22nd, 2015, 05:28 AM
Waverly that sounds horrific! Good thing though that it was only destroyed to armpit lenght not even more..Hairdresser should not have laughed.

Sorry about my double post earlier.

Agnieszka
February 22nd, 2015, 06:39 AM
I was 17 and had a natural mousy blond bob, never coloured. Went to the hairdresser for a couple of highlights at the front

So she put a swimming cap on my head and started to poke me with some metal pin and pulling out my hair. It was painful and I learned later that she poked me so hard I had blisters all over my scalp. Anyway, she told me I think platinum will be great. After more then an hour in that cap (under huge hairdryer) my head was so hot I had to alert her. She said, no, that's normal. I was sure that something is up so after few minutes started calling her again. She checked my hair and rushed me to the sink.... What happened next was a disaster. Instead few highlights she bleached my whole head (she managed to pull through that cap all my hair), platinum colour was green, most of hair melted out, this what was left was gummy and white. She didn't charge me that day...

I went home and my mother and sister cried with me. My mother went to next door drugstore and bought dark blonde hair dye and... my hair turned black.

CurlyCap
February 22nd, 2015, 10:28 PM
I was a kid and my mom was convinced jerry curl cream was going to finally moisturize my hair.

I was sitting on the bus and the kids starting laughing and pointing.

I turned around, only to realize that I had smeared greasy hair product all over the cheap vinyl bus seats. Everything I touched was shiny.

I've had terrible hair cuts, bad dandruff, self-destructing hairdos...the whole lot. But something about that, the best of intentions going absolutely awry, sticks with me.

Avis
February 22nd, 2015, 11:06 PM
Agnieszka, that sounds absolutely horrifying! I've never heard of so many coloring things going so wrong.

I think my worst hair moment was probably self inflicted. I was a HS senior getting ready for prom and I decided that for my APLish hair, curls would be really nice. Luckily I had a flat iron that could also work like a curling iron. So (crazy and clueless) I decided that the best way to curl my hair would be to straighten it first, then curl it. Which I did. I wasn't big on haircare/styling, so I did this without using a product to protect my hair from the heat. And then once I started curling, I sprayed each individual curl with a ton of hairspray. The end product was actually not too bad, but by the end of the night, my curls had fallen out and I got crunchy waves and hair the consistency of straw that was a horror to wash the next day. I vowed then that I would never use hairspray again and I haven't.

LauraLongLocks
February 22nd, 2015, 11:14 PM
When I was about 5 years old, I watched some TV program like National Geographic or the like and they were featuring some tribal culture living in Africa I think, and these ladies had the most interesting haircuts I had ever seen. Their hair was shorn right to the scalp and they had beads in it and wow, it just looked so interesting. I wanted my hair to look like that. So, I marched into the bathroom with a pair of scissors and cut the front of my hair, in a semi circle on the top of my head, to about peachfuzz length. Right before first grade school pictures. Mom had to comb the hair from my crown to the front to somewhat cover it up, but aside from a massive comb-over, there was nothing that could be done. It looked horrible.

Islandgrrl
February 22nd, 2015, 11:46 PM
Probably not my worst hair moment, but it wasn't a good one.

My kids were little...in car seats all of them, and my youngest was an infant. I was taking them to visit my mom for the day, an hour long freeway trip. My hair was knee length and I had it in one long braid. The weather was kind of crappy, rainy and gloomy. We got to my mom's and when I got out of the car I realized that for the entire trip in the rain on the freeway, my braid had been caught in the car door, with the bottom foot of it hanging outside the car. It was a disgusting oily, filthy, matted mess. It took many shampooings and tons of conditioner to get all the road grime out and pretty much the entire braid tassel had to be cut off because it was so badly damaged.

Oh, and I once ended up with green hair after a dye job went very badly wrong. My hair was about BSL at the time and I ended up shaving my head.

Colochita
February 23rd, 2015, 12:55 AM
Well, this isn't bad at all compared to other stories here, but when I was in elementary/primary school I had my hair straightened and curled for a special day of no classes. I was walking underneath the awning of a building and some nesting pigeons decided to poop all over me. I immediately burst into tears and my best friend (still my best friend) took me to the bathroom to wash it out. My wet hair instantly reverted and was a godawful mess. But the worst part was the poop. [shudder]

*ReiKa*
February 23rd, 2015, 01:02 AM
The worst moment was definitely 5 years ago, when I got a very short haircut (longest bit only slightly touching the nape of my neck) and after a month I realised how silly I had been to cut it that short, and what an immense amount of time I had to wait for that to grow back long.
Pure, strong and painful regret.

Stormynights
February 23rd, 2015, 01:22 AM
Years ago I went to a salon that I had previously worked at to pick up a friend. The manager was a real know it all and if you would ask him what time it was he would tell you how a watch worked. I casually asked how everything was going and he proceeded to tell me that he had done a touch up color on a girl whose hair was a little too yellowish with a blue based color. I explained to him that yellow and blue make green. He argued with me that I was wrong and I asked to see the girl. I told him it was time to rinse her hair and he still tried to argue even after I showed him that her hair was going green. I handed him a protein pack and told him to put it on her hair. I went to get a violet base toner to neutralize the green. Instead of putting on the protein pack he put a color remover all over her head. I finally talked him into taking it off but her hair was trashed. She came in right before her wedding to get a trim and he told her she needed to touch up her color. She had to cut off about 10 inches of hair. I was just sick. I still feel like crying when I think about it. If he had listened to me her hair could have been fixed and she would never have even known there was an issue. He had an instructors license and I only had about 25 years experience. Some hair stylists!

Begemot
February 23rd, 2015, 01:29 AM
It was the last time I had my bangs cut. My favorite hair dresser quit her business and I had to go to a new place. I remember the disappointment so well. I walked home and could barely look myself in the mirror because I knew my bangs were cut way too short and I looked like a five year old. This was also the time when I randomly chose a new color which looked so fake and made all of my hair look wig like. Ha, actually this disaster of a hair makeover made me grow bangs out and soon after I quit dyeing too. So it's all good now.

RockabyeRed
February 23rd, 2015, 02:58 AM
I was getting ready for a big night out, and was home bleaching my hair (aaaaaah!)

Sure enough, the colour was wrong, wrong, wrong (in the fluorescent Orange sense). The damage was quite bad and I wasn't prepared to let it develop any further.
I walked down to the local 'salon'. She 'fixed' the colour and finished off my frazzled hair with a blow dryer. I walked out with green and super fuzzy hair. I looked like something out of a horror film. Devastated.

gwenalyn
February 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Well, this isn't bad at all compared to other stories here, but when I was in elementary/primary school I had my hair straightened and curled for a special day of no classes. I was walking underneath the awning of a building and some nesting pigeons decided to poop all over me. I immediately burst into tears and my best friend (still my best friend) took me to the bathroom to wash it out. My wet hair instantly reverted and was a godawful mess. But the worst part was the poop. [shudder]

Oh man! I forgot about the time a crow pooped on my head! I ran straight to the shower and poured mouthwash over my head (??? I'm not entirely sure why I thought that was a good idea, I was 14 or so) and shampooed vigorously. For a few months after that I kept picking at the spot and pulling hairs out of where I thought the bird poop had touched until I realized I'd created a little circle of a super thick, almost callussed piece of skin on my scalp, got scared that I was creating a bald spot, and stopped.

Colochita
February 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Oh man! I forgot about the time a crow pooped on my head! I ran straight to the shower and poured mouthwash over my head (??? I'm not entirely sure why I thought that was a good idea, I was 14 or so) and shampooed vigorously. For a few months after that I kept picking at the spot and pulling hairs out of where I thought the bird poop had touched until I realized I'd created a little circle of a super thick, almost callussed piece of skin on my scalp, got scared that I was creating a bald spot, and stopped.

That's awful! It sounds painful too. :(

MoonlitWitch
February 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
I thankfully only have two

1) When I was about seven I had beautiful waist length hair. I was vacuuming for my mom and something got caught in the brushes causing them to stop. I turned the vacuum over and pulled the string out that had caused the problem. The brushes instantly started working again and sucked my hair in to the scalp. Luckily my dad heard me screaming and came and rescued me. I was afraid to vacuum for a long time after that!

2) Went to a new salon when I moved away for college to get my usual highlights in my hair. The stylist told me how great it would look with some low lights too. I agreed and ended up with my entire head highlighted and low lighted with white and black so that when my hair mixed it looked green. I was mortified. I went to a new salon two days later to have it fixed and the crazy chick turned my hair Tennessee ORANGE. I was super traumatized until i finally found someone that could fix it.

Needless to say no one touches my hair now but me.

Shibe
February 25th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Let my sister in law perm my hair, when I had no clue how to take care of it! I tried brushing it like straight hair :knuckle:

Swan Maiden
February 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Hmmm lets see. Lice, envious girls throwing gum in my hair, platinum hair.

Meteorite
February 25th, 2015, 11:50 AM
A few years ago, when my hair was at the peak of its glory, I was outside painting a table with my friend.
I had my hair loose - yes. That's right. Loose. And well, of course it had to happen: I got paint on my hair.
Instead of trying to wash it out, I rushed straight to the kitchen and - cut the whole chunk of hair off.
I know, it's unbelievable. I didn't realise what I had done until afterwards. :(

endlessly
February 25th, 2015, 12:16 PM

My kids were little...in car seats all of them, and my youngest was an infant. I was taking them to visit my mom for the day, an hour long freeway trip. My hair was knee length and I had it in one long braid. The weather was kind of crappy, rainy and gloomy. We got to my mom's and when I got out of the car I realized that for the entire trip in the rain on the freeway, my braid had been caught in the car door, with the bottom foot of it hanging outside the car. It was a disgusting oily, filthy, matted mess. It took many shampooings and tons of conditioner to get all the road grime out and pretty much the entire braid tassel had to be cut off because it was so badly damaged.

Oh, and I once ended up with green hair after a dye job went very badly wrong. My hair was about BSL at the time and I ended up shaving my head.

I just have to say that the dragonfly comb in your avatar is absolutely gorgeous!!!

endlessly
February 25th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Years ago I went to a salon that I had previously worked at to pick up a friend. The manager was a real know it all and if you would ask him what time it was he would tell you how a watch worked. I casually asked how everything was going and he proceeded to tell me that he had done a touch up color on a girl whose hair was a little too yellowish with a blue based color. I explained to him that yellow and blue make green. He argued with me that I was wrong and I asked to see the girl. I told him it was time to rinse her hair and he still tried to argue even after I showed him that her hair was going green. I handed him a protein pack and told him to put it on her hair. I went to get a violet base toner to neutralize the green. Instead of putting on the protein pack he put a color remover all over her head. I finally talked him into taking it off but her hair was trashed. She came in right before her wedding to get a trim and he told her she needed to touch up her color. She had to cut off about 10 inches of hair. I was just sick. I still feel like crying when I think about it. If he had listened to me her hair could have been fixed and she would never have even known there was an issue. He had an instructors license and I only had about 25 years experience. Some hair stylists!

That sounds horrible! But, I have to agree you with that there are definitely those hair stylists that think they know everything even when they are clearly wrong. I've never had my hair "professionally" colored because the one time it was brought up to me in a salon, the woman had wanted to put platinum highlights in my mousy brown hair...I was wise to leave after that!

HintOfMint
February 25th, 2015, 11:16 PM
This (originally posted in the Deep Treatment thread):

DISASTER

Scene. My bathroom, Valentine's Day. I had just whipped up an avocado-honey-olive oil concoction. My hair was deliciously dirty and just waiting for a thorough shampoo to be followed by a decadent deep conditioning. It's Valentine's Day and I was going to look like a gd princess for my hapless boyfriend. My hair was going to shine like a BP oil spill in the Gulf of effing Mexico.

Hmm, what's this? The water isn't getting hot. In fact, it's cool. No, now it's cold. No, now it's ICY. I can hear my pipes taunt me, "do you wanna build a snowman?" in satanic tones.

My hair is filthy and my legs aren't shaven. As miserable as a cold shower is, I didn't want to show up to my boyfriend's apartment in my natural state to use his facilities to get to the unnatural state he knows so well. He's not in love with me yet. Also, his bathroom is kind of icky. GD bachelor.

I take a few deep breaths and remember that cold water makes hair even more shiny. I brace myself and go in, standing just outside the cascade of water.

I tip my head under. I immediately start to cry. Great ugly sobs wrack my body. The wind howls outside, it's the kind of cold where squirrels are freezing and falling right out of the trees. I soldier on, half crying "Let it Go," mantra-like. The cold never bothered me... sob... anyway.

I wash, rinse, and wring out my hair. I slap on the mixture and twist my hair into a bun on top of my head. Somehow I make it through shaving and washing the rest of my body. It seems to be adrenaline. Vanity-laced adrenaline. My teeth are chattering with the promise of being soooo pretty. I finally rinse out my DT at the end of it all.

This may have been the most psychotic thing I've ever done.

After dressing and putting my face on, I bundle up and make my way over. My hair dries into very defined waves, and the evening goes beautifully, but towards the end of the evening, something feels off. I use my brush and the waves fall flat instantly. My hair looks coated with some sort of grease. Turns out cold water wasn't good for washing out that particular DT. I try to fix it up the best I can, but finally I confess my afternoon predicament.

After telling me that I was being silly and of course I should have used his shower to get ready, he had a confession too. The kale I made, gave him tremendous, thundering gas. like, typhoon level. So we may just have to cuddle tonight. We went to bed a little greasier and a little gassier than either of us were used to. But it was a very happy Valentine's Day. And a happier Valentine's morning.

Also that time a bird pooped on my hair in front of my crush just like Seventeen Magazine said would happen! Keep in mind the bird pooping was during my first year of law school, so Seventeen Magazine was a bit late in that regard.

TaterTot
February 25th, 2015, 11:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/o4gG9Kn.jpg

Super drunk, super happy, super bad hair.
I was dying it from black so I would look less like my girlfriend at the time.
I'd had pink hair a long time before the black which was clearly still there under it.

Elizabeth E
May 11th, 2018, 11:38 AM

So sorry to hear about your hair, Islandgrrl! But I just can't help wondering...what other drivers must have thought seeing a braid tassel hanging out of your car door?

Stray_mind
May 11th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I had two:

When i got that cursed round brush stuck in my hair and when i set my hair on fire. :D

Glitch
May 11th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I had two:

When i got that cursed round brush stuck in my hair and when i set my hair on fire. :D

You legit set your hair on fire?! Omg! Wow, I hope you were alright!

As for me, I've had many bad hair moments in the past, usually when I didn't know what I was doing. The most recent one was months ago when I cut impulsive bangs, and then immediately went on a date. It was at an outdoorsy cafe with strong winds going in and out. I basically got stabbed in my eyes multiple times by my jagged, wild bangs the whole time and had no clips to control any of it :doh: I looked crazy and I knew it!

WyntreBlossom
May 11th, 2018, 12:31 PM
A double bleaching in ONE night (1 hour treatments back to back) followed by a demi perminant dye that same night, and then two color stripper treatments the very next day....... LITERALLY fried and ruined my hair.

Got the big chop later that week.

cjk
May 11th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Ten years ago.

I went completely blind and had emergency eye surgery to save and restore my vision. Was given prednisone afterwards along with a cocktail of other drops, one of the side effect so forth which was possible hair loss.

My Elvis-worthy pompadour developed a bald spot. And I don't mean thin, I mean bald.

When I discontinued the medication the hair grew back, but with a changed texture and less density. My hair, my pride and joy, was ruined. Hope springs eternal, and all that.

It didn't get better.

On my 40th birthday, after the party, I left the restaurant and headed to a barbershop. Got a flattop. Hide in plain sight, a flattop is supposed to be skinned down the middle. It's called a landing strip.

No one ever knew. My own parents didn't realize I was thinning.

A few years later my best friend had a cancer scare and we both went full skinhead. A very liberating experience and, to be honest, I'm no longer afraid of balding because of it. I even miss it sometimes.

But I decided to grow it back. And, I noticed some thinning at the crown. So I decided while I have the option I'm going to grow it back, and then some. No regrets. I'm gonna have long hair while I have the hair to grow.

It may not progres, it may never thin any more. The initial shed was caused by medication. And it was traumatic. But between blindness and an altered hair texture and density, I'm just really glad that I can see.

Lady Stardust
May 11th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Ten years ago.

I went completely blind and had emergency eye surgery to save and restore my vision. Was given prednisone afterwards along with a cocktail of other drops, one of the side effect so forth which was possible hair loss.

My Elvis-worthy pompadour developed a bald spot. And I don't mean thin, I mean bald.

When I discontinued the medication the hair grew back, but with a changed texture and less density. My hair, my pride and joy, was ruined. Hope springs eternal, and all that.

It didn't get better.

On my 40th birthday, after the party, I left the restaurant and headed to a barbershop. Got a flattop. Hide in plain sight, a flattop is supposed to be skinned down the middle. It's called a landing strip.

A few years later my best friend had a cancer scare and we both went full skinhead. A very liberating experience and, to be honest, I'm no longer afraid of balding because of it. I even miss it sometimes.

But I decided to grow it back. And, I noticed some thinning at the crown. So I decided while I have the option I'm going to grow it back, and then some. No regrets. I'm gonna have long hair while I have the hair to grow.

It may not progres, it may never thin any more. The initial shed was caused by medication. And it was traumatic. But between blindness and an altered hair texture and density, I'm just really glad that I can see.

I’m sorry you had to go through all of that. Thank you for sharing your story because a sense of perspective is valuable.

waff
May 11th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I relaxed my hair at home which was a big mistake. I didn't know what I was doing. Thankfully I washed it off fast but it caused a lot of breakage and my hair was falling in clumps for months. It was the worst and it really ruined my hair. This happened three years ago and I only have few relaxed ends left and the breakage stopped but It was the worst thing I have done for my hair in a long time.
I had a similar experience with relaxers when I was a teen, but I guess I didn't learn my lesson

Groovy Granny
May 11th, 2018, 05:21 PM
My worst moment was when my nurse friend who was also a licensed home stylist fried my blonde waist length+ hair; it turned green as well as brole off in my hands :steam

She offered to fix it with DROPS :thud:

I had to go to another salon where they spent a few hours determining what steps to take, eventually chopping 1 foot of damaged hair off and coloring it back to my natural color.

Initially until resolved I was furious and panicked; in the end it was the best thing to happen as it had been 20 years since I saw my natural color and I was just turning 50.

It felt very freeing...and from there I could see my silver coming in .....and I never colored again :tmi:

Eastbound&Down
May 11th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Catching on fire and losing a foot of hair.

Otempura
May 11th, 2018, 11:06 PM
I don't have anything too horrible but my worst hair moment was when I damaged it with bleach and hair straighteners :P I have dark brown hair and I went all the way down to a golden orange-ish color.

https://imgur.com/QqqVcEy
https://imgur.com/wFxgwtl
https://imgur.com/wFxgwtl
https://imgur.com/QqqVcEy
(not sure if these pictures will show >///< )

zanelle
May 12th, 2018, 04:42 AM
My worst was in Japan, a small village. Nobody talked English. Needed to dye my hair. It was previously dyed the blackest of all blacks. Then I decided I wanted it very curly so I permed it.
Here I am in this combini in Japan (a regular neighborhood shop) trying to buy some BROWN hair dye.
The girl at the counter could only nod politely to whatever I said to her.
She understood nothing, lol.
The boxes of dye weren't very helpful either. It was all Japanese kanji and no visual indicator to what color there was in the box.
The same anime girl on all boxes.
Took my chance and bought a box.
Got home, the mix looked brown.
It was blonde. For asian hair....
You have no idea how orange my hair looked afterwards.
The cherry on top is I did another perm after that: to straighten my hair.
In the end I had plastic hair. It was melted.
:pins:

Sora Rose
May 12th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Wow, a lot of scary stuff can happen shudder:. I never set my hair on fire or dyed/bleached it, but when I was much younger - maybe ten or so - one of my brothers stuck a big wad of bubblegum in my hair. I don't remember why, but it was close to my scalp, fairly low down and behind my right ear. We tried to use peanut butter, shampoo, and everything you can think of to get it out, but it was tangled so thoroughly it wouldn't release. I remember crying my eyes out in the bathroom while my mom finally cut it out.

Later I had a bad scare when I was playing with a little battery operated toy car on my parents' bed and accidentally drove the thing over my hair, thus tangling it pretty severely in one of the wheels. I had a hard time getting it out, all the while feeling stupid and hiding it from everyone who walked past me. I still can't believe I didn't lose much hair in the process.

leayellena
May 12th, 2018, 07:04 AM
When I had my first shaved because "it definitely helps grow your hair very thick". I literally didn't take my beanie down for months! Since then on I was cut only to pixie, Bob and long pixie because "long hair is a chore" and "your hair is thinning, the roots won't hold heavy hair and you go bald".

yamsha23
May 12th, 2018, 08:25 AM
A horror story that happened last Christmas, when I was slightly bleaching my hair to dye it a lighter shade at the salon, and as soon as the hairstylist slathered some product on my head I started feeling a very bad reaction, it was burning my scalp since the first minute, and burning more and more, she didn't want to inform me what she was doing and what products she was putting on my head when I asked her, five minutes later I was crying and begging her to wash my head, but she wouldn't do it and said I was too sensitive and that the burning reaction was normal that I had to wait, then when the time was over she put my head under hot water (hoooorrible!!!) and started scratching ("massaging") my head with her nails..... and I was left with a burnt scalp and fried hair.
When I touched my hair it was breaking off. I never asked for that. I left the salon crying, with my wet hair (but had payed anyway! how I regret...), and she later sent me mean messages on my phone to tell me I had made ridicule of her in front of her other clients and that she regretted to have lost so much time with me.

Horrible experience for me, it took me weeks to forgive myself for not standing up more for myself and for entering a hair salon anyway. Wanted to burn her salon. :angry::brickwall:mad:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

PS: all the women in that salon had short bleached very damaged fried hair. I wanted to run away when I first entered but didn't follow my gut instinct. They kept praising me for my "very long beautiful virgin hair" and I was joking telling them it was my first time in years entering a salon because I had no faith in hairstylists. And the stylist had a surprised face like "really"?
lol

PS 2: My hair then was orange with greyish/blue layers. Maybe I'll put out photos one day when I'm not too ashamed.

PS 3: I have dandruff since that regrettable incident. Do you think it will take very long to go away? it's been 6 months...

zanelle
May 12th, 2018, 08:35 AM
A horror story that happened last Christmas, when I was slightly bleaching my hair to dye it a lighter shade at the salon, and as soon as the hairstylist slathered some product on my head I started feeling a very bad reaction, it was burning my scalp since the first minute, and burning more and more, she didn't want to inform me what she was doing and what products she was putting on my head when I asked her, five minutes later I was crying and begging her to wash my head, but she wouldn't do it and said I was too sensitive and that the burning reaction was normal that I had to wait, then when the time was over she put my head under hot water (hoooorrible!!!) and started scratching ("massaging") my head with her nails..... and I was left with a burnt scalp and fried hair.
When I touched my hair it was breaking off. I never asked for that. I left the salon crying, with my wet hair (but had payed anyway! how I regret...), and she later sent me mean messages on my phone to tell me I had made ridicule of her in front of her other clients and that she regretted to have lost so much time with me.

Horrible experience for me, it took me weeks to forgive myself for not standing up more for myself and for entering a hair salon anyway. Wanted to burn her salon. :angry::brickwall:mad:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

PS: all the women in that salon had short bleached very damaged fried hair. I wanted to run away when I first entered but didn't follow my gut instinct. They kept praising me for my "very long beautiful virgin hair" and I was joking telling them it was my first time in years entering a salon because I had no faith in hairstylists. And the stylist had a surprised face like "really"?
lol

PS 2: My hair then was orange with greyish/blue layers. Maybe I'll put out photos one day when I'm not too ashamed.

PS 3: I have dandruff since that regrettable incident. Do you think it will take very long to go away? it's been 6 months...

My god, what did she put in your hair? Did you try vinegar rinses? Or rosemary tea rinses?

vpatt
May 12th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Ten years ago.

It didn't get better.

So glad you have your vision....it is definitely to be more valued that long hair.

Joules
May 12th, 2018, 10:17 AM
July 2013. My hair is in exceptionally good condition and down to my waist. I've just changed my hemline from straight across to V-shaped, and I was itching for more change.

I watched some tutorials about how to get face-framing layers, like, not full on layers, but just around your face. Like a very deep V hemline.

So I separated half of my hair in the front, took my scissors, and...

snip!

I wasn't able to make a gradual slide. I just chopped those front pieces off. At about APL. Those pieces were thick. Half of my hair was in those pieces.

Well, it was a good thing I was addicted to french and dutch braids. It would have been too traumatic for me to even it all out (aka cut my hair to APL), so I just left it as it was to grow out. That was the time I used mustard on my hair to make it grow faster, but that's a different story...

My chopped pieces ended up reaching BSL by the end of October, and in the very beginning of November I was ready to have shorter hair again and evened it all out. By March of next year I had my WL back. It wasn't as traumatic as some other stories here, but it wasn't really pleasant, either.

lakhesis
May 12th, 2018, 11:37 AM
3 years ago I moved to a country with extremely hard water.

At that point my hair decided that it was the last straw after having microring extensions, being bleached and being curled/ straightened almost daily. It started snapping off at about 10 cm from roots.
I was in new country, I didn't really know anything about hair and I didn't realize why it was suddenly happening. I didn't even want to leave the house because I felt my hair looked like what 80's rock stars used to wear.

Starchild494
May 12th, 2018, 04:51 PM
About 6 yrs ago I was sitting out on my back patio when I see this bee head right towards me..... I turned and the poor thing got stuck in my hair and proceeded to sting me in the process. Being stung hurts! Now I wear my hair up if I'm going to be near shrubbery!