PDA

View Full Version : I have the worst hair of my life? (story & pics)

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 12:05 AM
So I've been on my "healthy hair journey" for a long time now. I started in March of 2011. That was when I stopped straightening my hair, which I USED to do every day. Then a couple months later, I stopped blow drying my hair on hot and only used the cool setting. A year after, I stopped using sulfates and a couple months after that I stopped dying my hair. Fast forward to now, I am sulfate free, dye free, heat free, and I have been for at least 2 years. I also stopped using silicones because I find they make my hair really dry, even water soluble ones. Oh, and I don't even use my blow dryer, I let my hair air dry...you would think that years of no heat, sulfates, and dye would make my hair really happy & healthy!....WRONG! My hair is the worst it has ever been and I don't know why!
My hair tangles so easily! I will finger detangle all of my hair, breathe, and there will be like 2 dreadlocks in my hair! I know that the longer your hair is, the more it is prone to tangles...but my hair mainly tangles REALLY BAD at the nape of my neck! My hair sticks together so easily. Braiding my hair is so much harder than it used to be...I remember when I could do fishtail braids and now, just thinking about them makes me upset! I could never do a fishtail braid with my hair now! It tangles too easily! My hair has lots of breakage/splits because of this. Also, my hair is getting thinner. I remember whenever I would get my hair cut, the ladies would always say, "Wow! You have so much hair!" Now I feel like my hair is very thin. My braid tapers a lot more than it used to. And you can see a lot of my scalp, kind of like bald spots.
I have included pictures for you to see the current state of my hair. Frizzy and thin, with lots of my scalp showing.
I have tried heavy oilings, light oilings, scalp oilings, deep treatments, BBB, wooden combs/brushes, tangle teezers, The Wet Brush, etc..I even tried silicones again, but like I said, they dried out my hair. My hair feels soft, it just looks gross. I even had a lady say, "Oh my god, your hair is disgusting!" to me...and to be honest, I can't blame her for saying that! When I started my HHJ, I envisioned myself as having long HEALTHY looking hair. Not this. My hair is long, almost my goal length, but it is not my dream hair at all. I don't think I would ever go back to straightening it, or even dying it...but at least my hair looked decent back then (I know it was just covering up the damage, but still).
I also use a satin pillow case, satin scrunchies (unless I go out in public), a wooden hair fork, argan & coconut oil, & I only wash my hair every other day at most. You would think that would be a formula for healthy hair...I guess not!

Do you guys have any tips or advice???

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/frizz_zps768e96f1.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/frizz2_zps68be073f.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/frizz3_zps0eb1e40f.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/frizz4_zpsd9bbcada.jpg

Chocowalnut
February 1st, 2015, 12:13 AM
First of all, your hair looks very pretty and long to me. I can't believe someone said your hair is disgusting, that is unbelievably rude. Second, I don't have too much advice except to say I am in the same position as you kind of and am interested in seeing if anyone has any advice also. After a long time of taking care of my hair and doing the things like you did, mine is breaking off a lot and shedding and thinning. It is very soft, like you mentioned yours was, but something seems wrong. I hope you figure something out that makes your hair happy, but it looks pretty to me.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 12:14 AM
I mean, looking back at old pictures, my hair was a lot thicker! :wail: :(
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/hair_zps01e04594.jpg

petcrazy18
February 1st, 2015, 12:20 AM
Aww please don't be upset! I can't believe you've had to go through this because to me your hair looks long and gorgeous. I've had the same problem too with my hair and my hair type is a lot more susceptible to the thin look. It took some research and convincing but now I understand that as our hair gets longer (especially without any trims) the hair just thins and tapers near the bottom over time.

Majorane
February 1st, 2015, 12:29 AM
Oh :( Well I think your hair looks lovely and I don't see thinning, it still looks like A Lot Of Hair! Your braid tapering more than it used to is kind of normal once you start growing.... if you'd maintian at your length, the taper would slowly catch up and diminish somewhat.

But if you hate your hair so much now, why not stop what you are doing now and go back to what used to work? Maybe not straight on straightening and agressive dyes, but a nice sls containing shampoo and a blowdry on the cool setting. Maybe it helps close the cuticle better so your hair doesn't try to dread and eat itself all the time?

I just returned to sls containing shampoos and coney conditioners, after years of sls free. It seems to be making my hair look nicer, although with the cones I do need a pre poo oiling or my ends start to crunch.

Also, if you are absolutely sure your hair is less thick, go to the doc and have your blood checked for the major hair loss causing nastinesses. Just to be sure your iron and thyroid and things aren't being a pita. And as for that lady: one person saying your hair is gross doesn't make that true. Maybe she didn't like the length, or your natural texture, or she just doesn't like to see people that are outside hee norm of coiffedness. We here say your hair looks lovely, and we say it with more people so what we say is more true. So.

monsoonstorm
February 1st, 2015, 01:04 AM
Don't forget that in the 2 years of looking after your hair, that's only the top foot or so of your hair that will be "perfect". The rest of your hair will still be damaged from all of the straightening /drying etc, so even though you are babying it now, it is going to be more susceptible to breakage, which will lead to it feeling "thinner". Was it the same length when it felt thicker, or do you have the past 2 years of extra length on the end? The other thing is that long hair weighs more, the result of which is that it will look flatter than shorter hair. Maybe what you are perceiving as "thinner" hair is more of a loss of volume due to the weight of the long hair?

Do you clarify? Sulphate free is all well and good but occasionally your hair needs a good cleanse. I also agree with Majorane re: the sulphate thing, I used to be sulphate free, but my hair seems to behave more with a bit of sulphate/cones in my life (although my scalp isn't quite so happy about it...)

I'm currently growing out all of my old dye/damaged hair, so I tend to maintain my length and am just trimming off the damage a bit at a time. My hair always looks/feels better after a trim and the worst of the ends have been removed.

One other thing that I tried for a while... Someone mentioned a while back that their hair would often tangle around particular strands that were damaged, and that when they were detangling they would cut out the bad tangles (and only the knotted hair, not big chunks). This seemed to lead to less tangles overall and less breakage happening. But then like I said, I'm in a state of maintaining length and trimming off damage regardless, so I didn't mind doing that.

Last suggestion, perhaps check your protein/moisture balance. Too much of either can lead to tangles. I used to oil a lot, but I started encountering the tangle issue. I don't really oil now at all.

CurlyCap
February 1st, 2015, 01:38 AM
I tried a clarifying/chelating shampoo, and then double condition with a silicone-free conditioner, let air dry, and see what you get.

Sounds like build-up is wreaking havoc....

Sarahlabyrinth
February 1st, 2015, 01:49 AM
Has your ponytail circumference changed, or is it just your ends which are thinner?

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:50 AM
I would really prefer to stay away from sulfates...I've been into natural products for a while now and I've read a lot of bad stuff about sulfates. Even if my hair looks like crap, I don't think I'd like to use sulfates again. Plus, my hair was always very dry with sulfates, even when I didn't wash my hair every day. I do use a clarifying shampoo every once in a while...but maybe I'll look into it.
My hair does seem really thin to me. I can tell when I massage my scalp that there is not that much hair on my scalp, and even the hair closer to my head is not as thick...my pony tail isn't as thick. I don't have health insurance or the money to see a dr. right now but maybe I will look into some supplements, like iron.
I know old hair can be thinner, but I feel like even if I were to cut my hair, it would still look bad because of the frizz/thinness.
Thank you for saying it doesn't look that bad, but compared to what I'm used to my hair looking like, it does. I'd say all of this starting happening about 6 months ago?

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:52 AM
Do you know of a good clarifying/chelating shampoo? I'd prefer not to use one that tests on animals.

Could build up be making my hair thinner too?

tigereye
February 1st, 2015, 02:40 AM
First thing I'd say is that my immediate first impression from one of the photos was "hey, that looks like when I get build-up", so perhaps you need to look into clarifying/chelating.
Secondly, sulphates are not bad for everyone. I'm allergic to SLS etc. but I'm also very sensitive to "sulphate-free" surfactants that are just as harsh.
Thirdly, cones will make your hair feel dry if it builds up, and even water-soluble cones can build up enough on some hair types (like mine) to cause issue. What this means is that if you want the slip/detangling properties of cones, you need to use a shampoo that can remove it - ie. SLS, SLES, ALS, or cocamidopropyl betaine.

I had to go through this stage when I switched to SLS &cone-free (because, allergies). The only way around it was nightblooming panacea and patience. It did eventually behave as long as I wore it up a lot and avoided tangles rather than detangling after the fact.
However, my hair thinned a lot due to medication in the last year and a half (although it's worth it when the medication works - I'm now off one of the two, but will probably be on the other for a long while. At least the shedding has gone down again). Moral of the story being, was there anything you started doing differently around the time, or shortly before this started? Any changes in haircare, diet, exercise, vitamins, sun exposure compared to previous years (I'm low in D & A which can both affect hair, as well as skin, bones and eyes, so I have to take a D vitamin and eat more liver.)?

The last thing I will say is that on SLS/cone-free, my hair felt thinner to me, but it didn't actually change the circumference at all. Too much build up previously would make my hair Feel kind of flat and heavy, which could give an illusion of thinness, but I don't think it would cause thinning itself.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 02:52 AM
I will look into a better clarifying shampoo.
The shampoo I use now (as an every wash shampoo) has cocamidopropyl betaine in it.
Cones for me make my hair dry even after one use...although when using water soluable cones, it takes maybe 2 or 3 uses.

& like I said before, I prefer more natural products that don't test on animals....does anyone have a good recommendation for a good clarifying shampoo that is more natural? Does a clarifying shampoo have to have sulfates or cocamidopropyl betaine?

tigereye
February 1st, 2015, 03:22 AM
Does a clarifying shampoo have to have sulfates or cocamidopropyl betaine?

Yep. Pretty much. But that doesn't mean you cant find a product with these ingredients that doesn't test on animals. Besides, most of the natural clarifying products you ca find are going to have coconut-derived sulphates in them.

(just as a side-note, no cosmetic/beauty products sold in the EU, including shampoos, or the ingredients in them, are allowed to be tested on animals anyway, so it's not something I worry about too much.)

jacqueline101
February 1st, 2015, 03:27 AM
The clarifying issue might be what's wrong. If your hair is coated and pressed down from being coated it might appear thinner. I agree a nice deep conditioner after clarifying would be good. Rinse with cool water to seal your cuticle that makes your hair smoother and shinier, good luck.

ladyfey
February 1st, 2015, 05:04 AM
I use Malibu C shampoo for clarifying. It's vegan and I really like it.

Yozhik
February 1st, 2015, 07:03 AM
I'm sorry you're going through hair growing pains in your HHJ. :grouphug:

I'm not sure I can offer you that much more advice regarding chelating/going back to what works, but have you examined your shirts to try to pinpoint the source of your nape tangles? Do you wear a lot of collars/hoodies/zippered items? What materials are your shirts made of? How often do you wear your hair loose? Do you have wool items that are increasing damage and tangling? Do you wear your hair in a lot of braids? I find that while I love wearing braids (single English or French), I have to undo and detangle every day, otherwise I get horrible nape snarls. One of my friends on here began always wearing a silk scarf folded over the nape area of her winter coats, and she said it vastly reduced the amount of breakage and nape tangles she got - maybe this could help?

FWIW, I think your hair looks beautiful! :flowers:

HTH! :flower:

Wildcat Diva
February 1st, 2015, 07:37 AM
My hair tangles a lot too. And it's way shorter than yours. Maybe try to look for things that add slip? Catnip tea rinses is one thought. There is a thread on here if you want to try that. I guess you would be opposed to adding mineral oil to your routine, as it's not natural. I use that that though.

I also tried changing the water I use, making miracle water by adding citric acid and vitamin C. It seems to really help with slip as I am washing, but I can't say that tangles when my hair is dry are different yet (I have only started a few weeks ago, and I am not sure it's making a huge overall difference yet).

For your health, I would look into vitamins or nutrients you might be needing. I try to remember but often forget to eat more protein, take MSM, and my multivitamin. I would myself would try ingesting some gelatin, but that's made from animals. I have been wanting to try drinking nettle tea for my hair health too. But these are all long term things, which will not help your ends.

My routine works best when I CO with something like suave tropical coconut, but really wait with the conditioner on my hair for longer and massage it in with warm water until I feel the conditioner really penetrate and my hair responds by becoming slippier at that moment. It's kinda weird, but if I rush, I don't get the same nice results. Maybe also try conditioning three times in one go of CO?

Damaged hair is gonna take a toll until it finally gets trimmed off. My ends are damaged some and tangle more I am sure due to some occasional straighter use prior to 2012.

Good luck!

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 11:55 AM
I checked out the Malibu C Shampoo....it's sulfate free, so do you think it will still work? Here's the link with the ingredients: http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2410/Malibu-C-Un-Do-Goo-Clarifying-Shampoo

Also, has anyone tried Avalon Organics Lemon clarifying shampoo? Here's a link with ingredients: http://avalonorganics.com/lemon-clarifying-shampoo

Well I usually only wear cotton t shirts...unless I'm going outside (rare) then I wear a hooded sweatshirt. I do wear my hair in a braid a lot, but even when I wear my hair in a bun, it somehow tangles at the nape of my neck.

I've tried catnip rinses before and also co washing...maybe I will try catnip again.
I have also tried mineral oil but that made my hair dry for some reason.

I think I will buy some protein mix & some iron supplements (I already have a bottle of msm & hair/skin/nails pills, I just forget to take them!) when I get paid next.

tigereye
February 1st, 2015, 12:22 PM
I checked out the Malibu C Shampoo....it's sulfate free, so do you think it will still work? Here's the link with the ingredients: http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2410/Malibu-C-Un-Do-Goo-Clarifying-Shampoo

Also, has anyone tried Avalon Organics Lemon clarifying shampoo? Here's a link with ingredients: http://avalonorganics.com/lemon-clarifying-shampoo

Well I usually only wear cotton t shirts...unless I'm going outside (rare) then I wear a hooded sweatshirt. I do wear my hair in a braid a lot, but even when I wear my hair in a bun, it somehow tangles at the nape of my neck.

I've tried catnip rinses before and also co washing...maybe I will try catnip again.
I have also tried mineral oil but that made my hair dry for some reason.

I think I will buy some protein mix & some iron supplements (I already have a bottle of msm & hair/skin/nails pills, I just forget to take them!) when I get paid next.

Well it's got cocamidopropyl betaine, plus a sulphonate, so it should be ok. (PS. Olefin sulphonates are completely unrelated and a totally different molecule to sulphates)

I'd agree with yohzik on the silk scarves thing. I wear a really big one mostly for warmth in the winter and to keep the sun off my shoulders in the summer, and I don't get nape tangles at all.

Ambrielle
February 1st, 2015, 12:44 PM
i think you hair looks really pretty but i am sorry you feel that way and can totally understand :flower:

you said it is getting thinner, what's your diet like? i am one of those people who believes healthy hair starts from within no matter how well we look after it on the outside. i was aenimic & calcium deficient for many years and it sure did reflect on my hair, i went from a high end of iii to a ii.
i'd also try a chelating shampoo, sometimes clarifying ones aren't enough. I just bought the redken hair cleansing cream clarifying shampoo, it is supposed to remove mineral build up aswell. I haven't tried it yet so can't comment on its effectiveness, there is one by Joico but it has heavier proteins.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM
So, I think what I'll start doing is this:

Get a clarifying shampoo, along with a deep conditioner to use afterward. (Anyone have a good recommendation for a deep conditioner?)
Get catnip to do catnip rinses (I already have catnip but my cats have slobbered all over most of it, ick).
& I will start taking my supplements/protein.

I will also look into other stuff such as silk scarves, but for now I think I will do those 3 things first???

Right now I use Giovanni's Ultra Sleek shampoo & Ultra Moist conditioner, but I am thinking about changing those out for new s/c once these run out. I use coconut oil on my hair sometimes before I shower. & I use Just Naturals detangling spray & argan oil on my hair after I shower. I also use a cotton t shirt to dry my hair.
Here's the websites with the ingredients to the current products I use, do you see anything in these products that I should be avoiding?

Shampoo:http://www.drugstore.com/giovanni-2chic-ultra-sleek-shampoo-brazilian-keratin-and-argan-oil/qxp401948
Conditioner:http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=495380&catid=325126
Detangling Spray: http://www.justnaturalskincare.com/hair-black/all/daily-spray-detangler.html

Thanks for all your help. I'd say I'm average when it comes to knowing the ingredients in hair products. I know more than non LHC people, but a lot less than you guys!

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 12:50 PM
I'm a yoyo dieter. I wouldn't say my diet is healthy, but I occasionally eat really healthy, and then I'll go back to eating "regularly" which is basically whatever I can afford with the occasional fruit/vegetable. It's been this way for years.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking about breaking down and getting the neutrogena clarifying shampoo? http://www.neutrogena.com/product/anti-residue+shampoo.do
What makes a chelating shampoo different from a clarifying shampoo? Does it just say it on the bottle or are there certain ingredients?

Ambrielle
February 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
I'm a yoyo dieter. I wouldn't say my diet is healthy, but I occasionally eat really healthy, and then I'll go back to eating "regularly" which is basically whatever I can afford with the occasional fruit/vegetable. It's been this way for years.

yes, this was exactly what i was like for years but it was only after a while this took a toll on me and on my hair/skin. I also didn't have regular meals, one day i would eat well and then for two days i might skip a meal and my fruit/vegs/protein intake because i was busy, plus stress didn't help (i am one of those who can't eat anything when i am down). I am still prone to be that way sometimes because i don't feel hungry often, my partner has to encourage me to eat "well" (i am not proud of this at all but i can't help it :shrug: ) . Make sure your protein intake and the omegas are in check even if you decide to take supplements.
i hope it gets better for you soon, keep us updated :flowers:

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I actually do want to eat better, not only for my hair but for my overall health & appearance.

Echileruwen
February 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
Eating healthy isn't all that expensive, especially if you cook. It's actually cheaper than eating in restaurants.

And I second the omega 3's. They're really good for you. Recently I read an article saying to take a good look at any oil caps you buy, because companies like to use the rancid oil they can't sell as just oil in the capsules. It said that if the capsules look cloudy not to use them.

Katyusha
February 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
I didn't read all the comments so I apologise in advance if someone mentioned this. Is your thyroid and hormones fine? The change in thickness, bald spots and dry hair could be the cause of lowered thyroid activity. It would be wise to rule that out.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Well right now I'm between jobs, and it's just better for me financially to buy a box of mac&cheese for $1 that gives me two meals, rather than an orange that cost $1 each. I know I could eat better if I really tried, but I'd like to have a steady income before I spend more money on food. Getting a job is my first priority.
& thanks for letting me know about the oils! I do have EPO capsules, but I'm almost out of them. I know krill oil is good? But...that kind of grosses me out! lol. I'm actually a vegetarian, but even if I wasn't, I don't know if I could swallow a krill pill, I hate the smell/taste of fish! Does anyone know if those are fishy tasting?

Wildcat Diva
February 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
Try the Joico shampoo. It chelates too. I got mine on amazon.

eta oh crap I didn't know you were jobless. I can send you some Joico sample if you want. :)

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure about my thyroid...everything else about me seems normal. I don't have health insurance or the money to see a dr. right now. If this continues then I will go once I get the money.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 01:39 PM
Try the Joico shampoo. It chelates too. I got mine on amazon.

eta oh crap I didn't know you were jobless. I can send you some Joico sample if you want. :)

Oh no, that's okay! Thanks for offering!!! But I will HOPEFULLY find a job soon, and with my first paycheck, I plan on getting new hair stuff!

tigereye
February 1st, 2015, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking about breaking down and getting the neutrogena clarifying shampoo? http://www.neutrogena.com/product/anti-residue+shampoo.do
What makes a chelating shampoo different from a clarifying shampoo? Does it just say it on the bottle or are there certain ingredients?

Usually chelating shampoos have either disodium EDTA, tetrasodium EDTA or trisodium-citrate (aka sodium citrate) in their ingredients list. They're often marketed towards swimmers.
That said, I remember reading an old thread back when I joined that mentioned club soda/soda water for chelating. Not sure how effective it would be though - it was a long time ago and I've had super-soft-water since then, so haven't had any need to try it out.

Yozhik
February 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure how relevant this is to your current plan, but I have that AO lemon clarifying shampoo, and I thought it was quite effective (bonus - it smells like an Italian lemon gelatto).

Good luck with figuring out a routine that works for you! :flower:

spidermom
February 1st, 2015, 03:18 PM
I want to repeat something an earlier poster said - if you only stopped damaging your hair two years ago, then the undamaged hair is only somewhere around shoulder to armpit length now. Damage is something that can take a long time and a lot of wear and tear to show.

Also, just because something is popular on LHC doesn't mean it's right for your hair. I think that my hair suffers less from being blow-dried on medium than it does from being air dried. Once I blow-dry it using a modest amount of heat protection spray, my hair is smooth and silky and resists tangling. When I air-dry it without using a coney product, it tangles and frizzes out like crazy. I don't want to go around looking like that, so I don't care what is popular on LHC; this is my hair and my life. I also think that avoiding washing it when it becomes oily is a bad practice, but people go on and on about stretching washes around here like it's the holy grail of perfect hair.

tigereye
February 1st, 2015, 03:35 PM
I want to repeat something an earlier poster said - if you only stopped damaging your hair two years ago, then the undamaged hair is only somewhere around shoulder to armpit length now. Damage is something that can take a long time and a lot of wear and tear to show.

Also, just because something is popular on LHC doesn't mean it's right for your hair. I think that my hair suffers less from being blow-dried on medium than it does from being air dried. Once I blow-dry it using a modest amount of heat protection spray, my hair is smooth and silky and resists tangling. When I air-dry it without using a coney product, it tangles and frizzes out like crazy. I don't want to go around looking like that, so I don't care what is popular on LHC; this is my hair and my life. I also think that avoiding washing it when it becomes oily is a bad practice, but people go on and on about stretching washes around here like it's the holy grail of perfect hair.

True that. If it wasn't for my allergies, I'd go back to sulphates in a heartbeat, because despite what so many people say about it being drying. I never had better hair than when I was using sulphates and cones. Sadly, while my hair does great, my scalp and back wouldn't thank me for it.
It's like so many people tout oil as being a miracle-worker. I don't think it makes much difference to my hair at all.

I, too, think that hair should be washed when it feels like it needs it. When I'm sailing, I CO every two days, because with all the salt, it feels like it needs it. If I normally washed my hair like that, it would get super-dry, so I shampoo/condition as I feel it needs it. In the summer, that's around 7 days, but in winter it's more like 8-10, purely because my skin is super-dry (you should see how much moisturiser I use on my face, hands and body on a monthly basis - it's a little ridiculous). I would never expect someone with oily skin to go that long, and for some people, every day is what's right for them.

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 03:40 PM
Have you cut all the damage out of your hair by now? Using heat and then stopping is like starting over with a shaved head, so you'll need to re-grow all that hair, and cut the rest off as you go, or now, if there's no other option. Have you examined that hair by S&D yet?

arr
February 1st, 2015, 05:00 PM
I don't believe a diluted vinegar rinse has been mentioned yet, it does wonders for frizzy puffy Velcro-ey hair. I would recommend: wash hair thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo (doesn't have to say clarifying-just choose a clear shampoo with sulfates but no silicones and very few ingredients) then rinse with I teaspoon vinegar to one cup water, make as much as you need for your length, then rinse and apply a deep conditioner ( my favorite is GVP conditioning balm available at Sally's-it's cone free). Some feel it's better to do the vinegar rinse as the last step, I've done it both ways and see no difference but you can try both ways and see what works best for you. Finally, finish off with a tiny bit of whatever leave in or oil you like, but don't overdo it. A drop or two of mineral oil is great to seal in moisture and add slip and shine. I hope you find a solution that works.

TheHowlingWolf
February 1st, 2015, 05:22 PM
Well I actually think most of the damage is near the top of my length...not the bottom. I actually do S&D a lot, and find that my ends rarely have any splits, it's mainly the middle length of my hair and around my shoulder length/nape of neck hair. I also have hair where it is split half way up the shaft, rather than at the ends, if that makes sense.
The main reason I let my hair air dry right now is because my hair takes so long to blow dry on cold/medium heat, my arm gets tired.

I used to use Dove & Garnier shampoo/conditioner & occasionally Pantene. I went to the store earlier today and looked at the ingredients...a lot of the shampoos contained sulfates AND silicones....how does that work? Would the silicones eventually build up or would the sulfates deal with them every wash?
The store I went to was just the grocery store across the street, so they didn't have much of a selection. It's a snow storm here right now so I probably wont go hair shopping until it's cleared up, hopefully in a day or two. They didn't have the neutrogena shampoo there, otherwise I would have gotten it.

I think I might try the neutrogena shampoo first, then that Avalon Organics lemon clarifying shampoo if the neutrogena one doesn't work. They're both more budget friendly for me right now and have both gotten good reviews.

I actually thought of an ACV rinse and was surprised no one suggested it before. I think I will try to incorporate it into my routine....I've done ACV rinses before. Idk why I stopped.

KittyMeowMeow
February 1st, 2015, 11:51 PM
I found a lot of natural clarifyers to be drying, but Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash (which is a detoxing mud similar to bentonite/kaolin clay) was transformative for my hair. It removes buildup better than any clarifyer I've used, is totally natural, extremely gentle, and leaves hair moisturized and soft, and easily detangled.

If you go this route, read info online - you basically do a "detox" where it excavates layers of buildup from your hair. At the end, your hair is completely clean and soft. You can continue to use it as your regular shampoo going forward (recommended).

Good luck!

TheHowlingWolf
February 2nd, 2015, 12:30 AM
^Do you use a certain conditioner with that? That sounds really interesting!

I actually just ordered some new shampoo/conditioner that I've been wanting for a really long time (Living Libations), but I still plan on getting a clarifying shampoo to remove the build up before I use my new shampoo.

TheHowlingWolf
February 2nd, 2015, 06:51 PM
I think I will start using a BBB again, if my hair is ever manageable enough to brush through. I also might start using a different oil to do oilings as a prepoo....maybe almond oil with some EOs?

KittyMeowMeow
February 2nd, 2015, 06:52 PM
^Do you use a certain conditioner with that? That sounds really interesting!

I actually just ordered some new shampoo/conditioner that I've been wanting for a really long time (Living Libations), but I still plan on getting a clarifying shampoo to remove the build up before I use my new shampoo.

I actually stopped using conditioner since it was causing buildup for me, and now I just prepoo with EVCO, and use oils and butters as my leave-in. You can use conditioners with this, though!

brickworld13
February 2nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
I didn't read the thread fully so pardon if this has already been suggested. When was the last time you clarified (or chelated. Only relevant for really really hard water) as that can often resolve the mysterious "my hair is suddenly terrible"?

tigereye
February 3rd, 2015, 02:22 AM
I think I will start using a BBB again, if my hair is ever manageable enough to brush through. I also might start using a different oil to do oilings as a prepoo....maybe almond oil with some EOs?

Only use oils if they actually work for you. Lots of people tout it as the epitome of haircare, but it doesn't work for me. The majority of oils, including almond, make my hair lank, tangly and unmanageable. For me, coconut oil kind of works in summer, but it solidifies in my hair in the cold in winter and becomes a nightmare.

Mearwynna
February 3rd, 2015, 08:59 AM
Well, I hope you find something that will work for you. I think you have pretty hair. When I started posting again in December I had a weird build up problem going on that regular clarifying shampoo wasn't doing anything for. I tried vinegar, and I tried dish soap, but my hair was still really weird. So I came here and happened to look at the miracle water thread. I used just the citric acid in my regular water (1 teaspoon) and actually felt a slimy coating disolve off of my hair. That was probably more than I should have used but it got the job done. I think normally you just use a pinch in the water. My hair went back to mormal. I have dye damaged hair. I use coconut oil before washing. My hair seems to absorb it and it's improving the damage hair. So right now co as a pre-poo oiling is working for me. There are some products that will help with damaged hair like silk hair serums. They are not natural products but damaged hair isn't natural hair anymore and might just need a little something to help it be nice for you again until you can grow and trim it away.

Kherome
February 3rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Do you know of a good clarifying/chelating shampoo? I'd prefer not to use one that tests on animals.

Could build up be making my hair thinner too?

L'anza!

Your hair doesn't appear any thinner to me. I think you might be suffering from illusion. Healthier hair often compacts more, because the raised cuticle isn't holding the hairs as far apart anymore. The smoother, sleeker surface leads to the hair looking less "voluminous" than it might have previously.

If you have measured your ponytail and see little to no change in circumference then this is likely the culprit. Of course you could have thyroid issues or be Vit D deficient or anemic or any number of other heath things that could influence it and you really need to make the doctor a priority just in case.

So before you drive yourself any more batty worrying over this, buy some L'anza chelating shampoo, use it once or even twice and condition with a good silicone free conditioner. Do not oil, do not comb. (By the way, Tangle teasers are known for shredding hair in many people so if you're using one, maybe stop.) Use your finger to detangle while in the shower and then let it dry without worrying about it.

Do you use protein on your hair by the way?

Please don't. Your hair should never, ever have a brush of any sort taken to it.

So, I think what I'll start doing is this:

Get a clarifying shampoo, along with a deep conditioner to use afterward. (Anyone have a good recommendation for a deep conditioner?)
Get catnip to do catnip rinses (I already have catnip but my cats have slobbered all over most of it, ick).
& I will start taking my supplements/protein.

I will also look into other stuff such as silk scarves, but for now I think I will do those 3 things first???

Right now I use Giovanni's Ultra Sleek shampoo & Ultra Moist conditioner, but I am thinking about changing those out for new s/c once these run out. I use coconut oil on my hair sometimes before I shower. & I use Just Naturals detangling spray & argan oil on my hair after I shower. I also use a cotton t shirt to dry my hair.
Here's the websites with the ingredients to the current products I use, do you see anything in these products that I should be avoiding?

Shampoo:http://www.drugstore.com/giovanni-2chic-ultra-sleek-shampoo-brazilian-keratin-and-argan-oil/qxp401948
Conditioner:http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=495380&catid=325126
Detangling Spray: http://www.justnaturalskincare.com/hair-black/all/daily-spray-detangler.html

Thanks for all your help. I'd say I'm average when it comes to knowing the ingredients in hair products. I know more than non LHC people, but a lot less than you guys!

There is protein in there, perhaps you're having some protein issues?

Well right now I'm between jobs, and it's just better for me financially to buy a box of mac&cheese for $1 that gives me two meals, rather than an orange that cost $1 each. I know I could eat better if I really tried, but I'd like to have a steady income before I spend more money on food. Getting a job is my first priority.
& thanks for letting me know about the oils! I do have EPO capsules, but I'm almost out of them. I know krill oil is good? But...that kind of grosses me out! lol. I'm actually a vegetarian, but even if I wasn't, I don't know if I could swallow a krill pill, I hate the smell/taste of fish! Does anyone know if those are fishy tasting?

Krill and fish oil pills, if bought with an "Enteric coating" will have no taste.

TheHowlingWolf
February 3rd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Only use oils if they actually work for you. Lots of people tout it as the epitome of haircare, but it doesn't work for me. The majority of oils, including almond, make my hair lank, tangly and unmanageable. For me, coconut oil kind of works in summer, but it solidifies in my hair in the cold in winter and becomes a nightmare.

Hmm...thanks for pointing that out! Maybe I'll wait to see if I think my hair needs more oil.

TheHowlingWolf
February 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Please don't. Your hair should never, ever have a brush of any sort taken to it.

Well I heard BBB helps distribute oil through the hair. Also, Madora swears by the BBB and she has gorgeous hair....But I know just because something works for her, doesn't mean it will work with me.

Also, I believe my products have protein in them but I don't do any protein treatments or anything.

brickworld13
February 3rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
Well I heard BBB helps distribute oil through the hair. Also, Madora swears by the BBB and she has gorgeous hair....But I know just because something works for her, doesn't mean it will work with me.

Also, I believe my products have protein in them but I don't do any protein treatments or anything.

If you are growing out damaged hair or yours is particularly fragile a BBB is the last thing you need. It is a useful tool for healthy hair, but it shreds delicate hair into pieces that break off. It's not a pretty sight.

TheHowlingWolf
February 3rd, 2015, 02:50 PM
Hmmm okay, I guess that's $10 I can save then. & that's for all brushes? I've tried combs and combing my hair just takes way too long and doesn't help.

brickworld13
February 3rd, 2015, 02:53 PM
I, and many other members here, really like the Tangle Teezer brushes. They work really well and fit in your hand very comfortably. It is about $10, and you can find them at Sally's or order it from Amazon.

tigereye
February 3rd, 2015, 04:15 PM
I found a denman styling brush (the kind with the red rubber base and smooth plastic bristles) to be great for doing styles, but only after it's already detangled. I used to like the tangle geezer.
I love my comb, but if you have damage issues, I know from experience that combing can become massively frustrating. A comb didn't work for my until I'd cut off my damaged ends.

TheHowlingWolf
February 3rd, 2015, 05:15 PM
I actually have a tangle teezer, but I feel like there's something better out there. I'll probably just keep finger detangling until my hair is in better condition....but I will keep the denman brush in mind!

I went to target today. I planned on going to other stores too but it's snowing a lot here and I didn't feel like going. They didn't have the neutrogena shampoo...but I did find one by Herbal Essences that I think might work? What do you think?: http://us.herbalessences.com/en-US/product-page.aspx?id=39916

(Ingredients list: http://www.drugstore.com/herbal-essences-wild-naturals-detoxifying-shampoo/qxp542950 )

Would that be a good clarifying shampoo?
I know the only way to really know is to use it, but if you don't think it would work then I will return it without using it.

I also got some catnip from Target...but I will talk more about that in the catnip rinse thread. I also tried to look for hair clips, the kind that JJJLongHair uses, but Target didn't have those either!
Hopefully the snow stops and I can go shopping tomorrow!

TheHowlingWolf
February 7th, 2015, 08:56 PM
So I just clarified. I was going to wait but I couldn't wait any longer. I used the HE shampoo that I got. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I JUST got out of the shower. So I will report back later.
I found an old SD card of mine and was looking at all the hair pictures I took. My hair used to be a lot thicker. But in one picture I found, you can see I have a lot of bald spots....
So I'm going through a dilemma right now. I have had thick hair all my life and used sulfates and silicones, washed everyday etc...So part of me DOES want to go back to that, but the other part is thinking, "maybe my hair is thinning BECAUSE of all those years I used harsh sulfates"...then ANOTHER part of me is thinking, "maybe sulfate free shampoos don't wash my scalp enough, causing clogged follicles resulting in hair loss....AH! Idk what to think! I will post some more pictures soon of my old hair compared to now.

ETA: I also bought some of those clips JJJlonghair uses and I love them! Usually I have to spend 45minutes-1hr detangling my hair before washing, but tonight I spent maybe 2 minutes?? I kept my hair up in a secured bun with those clips and I really liked it! I could never get my bun to stay with a fork/sticks.

TheHowlingWolf
February 8th, 2015, 06:18 PM
So far so good. I like the shampoo in general. My ends were feeling a bit crunchy as my hair was air drying, but I put on some argan oil and now they're fine. My scalp was a little itchy this morning but other than that it doesn't feel irritated. Here is my hair after clarifying:
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/hur_zps76ece1f9.jpg

It does look thicker imo, but still limp. I compared it to older pictures of my hair....

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/IMG_1449_zpsa16a0e14.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Eyeofthewhitewolf/IMG_1568_zps3b0b460d.jpg

If I remember correctly, the two older pictures of my hair were taken after I used a BBB. I wish I could remember what products I was using. Anyway, you can tell my hair is fuller and more voluminous. It also has some layers in it. I think I might cut my hair a bit, like 4 inches off and get a couple of layers. I know a lot of people at LHC are strongly against layers, but I think they look nicer in my hair. I will miss having classic hair, which was my first goal! But some people look good with long hair, others don't.

I will def. clarify more often. As for my every wash shampoo...I want to try and find something that will clean my hair without stripping it, preferably more natural like Avalon organics. Although, as of right now, if AO or anything natural doesn't work, I am willing to go back to drugstore shampoos after having a good experience with HE.

hannabiss
February 8th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Cant see pics :(

kelseyxface
February 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM
If you want to go back into sulfates but don't want chemicals and no animal testing, I would suggest lush brand shampoos. (: They contain sulfates but it's the only chemical thing about them. The shampoos have all sorts of goodies in them like honey, coconut oil, seaweed extract, basically anything for any hair type. They also do not test on animals. I think it might be something to check into if you want to play around with new types of shampoo. They have a very citrus-y shampoo that is their version of a clarifying shampoo. I use it every now and again if I'm trying to fade out hair dye or get some build up out of my hair, works just as well as most clarifying shampoos.

You sound like you're on the same organic beauty band wagon as me. I've found that sadly there is a lot of misinformation in the organic beauty care field. Not ALL "chemicals" are super hamrful. Sulfates is one of them. I don't personally use them in my beauty routines but that's only because I found I have sensitive skin and sulfates are too harsh on my scalp and face (it also causes my hair to fall out more when I was with sulfates). But I have other friends who HAVE to use sulfates to really clean their hair and they don't have a similar allergy as me or the same issue with hair falling out. (: Everyone's different. I would have to agree with everyone and say try sulfates again and see if you notice a difference. Also here is a link to the lush site:

http://www.lushusa.com/Shampoo/shampoo,en_US,sc.html

TheHowlingWolf
February 8th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Cant see pics :(

Hmm...weird. I can see them, can anyone else or no?

TheHowlingWolf
February 8th, 2015, 06:47 PM
If you want to go back into sulfates but don't want chemicals and no animal testing, I would suggest lush brand shampoos. (: They contain sulfates but it's the only chemical thing about them. The shampoos have all sorts of goodies in them like honey, coconut oil, seaweed extract, basically anything for any hair type. They also do not test on animals. I think it might be something to check into if you want to play around with new types of shampoo. They have a very citrus-y shampoo that is their version of a clarifying shampoo. I use it every now and again if I'm trying to fade out hair dye or get some build up out of my hair, works just as well as most clarifying shampoos.

You sound like you're on the same organic beauty band wagon as me. I've found that sadly there is a lot of misinformation in the organic beauty care field. Not ALL "chemicals" are super hamrful. Sulfates is one of them. I don't personally use them in my beauty routines but that's only because I found I have sensitive skin and sulfates are too harsh on my scalp and face (it also causes my hair to fall out more when I was with sulfates). But I have other friends who HAVE to use sulfates to really clean their hair and they don't have a similar allergy as me or the same issue with hair falling out. (: Everyone's different. I would have to agree with everyone and say try sulfates again and see if you notice a difference. Also here is a link to the lush site:

http://www.lushusa.com/Shampoo/shampoo,en_US,sc.html

I actually used to use Lush's "New" shampoo bar. I've bought it twice when I started growing my hair longer. Where I lived, we didn't have lush but now that I've moved to Chicago, I'll have to check them out again.

tigereye
February 9th, 2015, 02:08 AM
I can't see the pictures either, but I'm on an iPad so :shrug:

TheHowlingWolf
February 9th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Maybe they'll work on your laptop? Idk, if not I'll try again

Rushli
February 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I am on a laptop and cant see them.

If you are looking for an oil that might not leave your hair limp, try emu oil. It absorbs really well. I always had issues not over oiling with everything else I tried (coconut, argon, almond, avocado, grapeseed) but have yet to accidentally over oil with emu.

endlessly
February 9th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I'm so sorry that someone was that rude to you by saying your hair is disgusting because it definitely doesn't look that way! I know the longer hair gets, the more difficult it is to manage and I've had the same struggle with tangles that you are having. I know I eliminated heat, styling products, silicones, etc. as well and while my hair is very healthy in my opinion, I still get tangles just because my hair texture is very coarse.

If you're noticing drastic thinning and balding, I would highly recommend having your doctor check your levels to see if you might have something off with your thyroid or if you're deficient in nutrients. Sometimes, when there is something wrong with our bodies, our hair is the first sign of a problem. Otherwise, certain medications/vitamins can even cause hair loss/thinning, so if you are on anything like that, I would look into it.

My only other suggestion would be in regards to how you wear your hair on a daily basis. The same style every day can causing pulling and result in thinning especially if worn too tightly. Hopefully this helps and best of luck on your long hair journey!

TheHowlingWolf
February 9th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Can you see the pictures now?

I've heard great things about emu oil...but I'm a vegetarian & even if I wasn't the thought of slathering bird oil in my hair is kinda icky to me haha. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Breanna
February 9th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Clarifying isn't too scary and you really only need to do it when you feel like your hair needs it. I don't even use an actual "clarifying" shampoo, just some regular Suave shampoo (rosemary mint, smells delicious!). As for your natural daily shampoo I highly suggest shampoo bars, they're super great. The only places I know of to get them are charginvalleysoapandsalve.com and sisterssoapohio.com

Also I have a similar problem where my hair feels the same thickness but very limp, turns out that happens in low humidity so it might just be the winter weather! Maybe it'll poof back up when it gets humid again :) Good luck!

mamaherrera
March 25th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Just wondering how your situation turned out. You have the same complaints I've had with my hair the last five years. But I've changed a lot as compared to five years ago. I don't brush now, live in low humidity, use no cones and such. Could all these add up to make a difference? Dion't know, but my hair compacts a lot more than when I was a teen.

vega
March 27th, 2015, 04:21 AM
What about micro trims the hair looks damaged but you can fix that I had same issue , I had done a micro trim 3 times in a year , yes it stalled my growing. But quality of my hair was better good luck I'm sorry someone was horrible to you how rude of them good luck