PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss, hair precautions?

Equestrienne
January 31st, 2015, 10:08 PM
Before I embark on some decent weight loss, what should I be aware of for my hair???

Should I think about supplements?

I assume there may be some increased shed, and perhaps reduced growth for a time. Seems logical to me.

Would it be wise to perhaps maintain a daily portion of peanut butter, egg, etc, even if I don't feel like it?

thanks! :)

hennalonghair
January 31st, 2015, 10:15 PM
Yes make sure you get adequate protein AND omega 3's. You really need your oils also. If you cut out too many calories too soon then you most certainly will experience hairloss BUT it probably won't be immediate but could happen months later.
Weight loss is a good thing if you need it but just do it sensibly.
A good supplement (s) is a great idea as well as lots of fresh water
Good luck in your new healthy lifestyle

Equestrienne
January 31st, 2015, 10:21 PM
Thank you! Maybe I should look into a flax oil supplement? (I'm not really keen on fish oil, personally.)

hennalonghair
January 31st, 2015, 10:29 PM
Thank you! Maybe I should look into a flax oil supplement? (I'm not really keen on fish oil, personally.)
You're welcome. Flaxseed oil is an EXCELLENT choice indeed. It's great for your hair, skin , mental functioning as well as a long list of other very important bodily functions.
Health is a VERY important thing and it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
I have always found it best to start making small adjustments or changes and gradually increase them. Our body likes to keep its homeostasis so might rebell if too many changes are made at once which can be quite confusing to us.

Equestrienne
January 31st, 2015, 11:02 PM
I agree completely.

I have slowly put on 40 pounds in six years(the age of my youngest child), so I think it only proper that I shed slowly (though maybe not six years... LOL). I'm not really aiming for anything, but I think I would feel a lot better if I could at least get 30 off, and perhaps call that my new normal. We'll see. I don't look it, but I feel it. I'm dense, and heavy, and sluggish. It's not a good place to be!

petcrazy18
January 31st, 2015, 11:32 PM
Biggest issue is making sure you have enough protein, so try to aim for a good 70grams if possible :) Other than that, I say your good to go!

Equestrienne
February 1st, 2015, 12:50 PM
Thanks! Will do.

dreamingstar
February 1st, 2015, 04:13 PM
Definitely what hennalonghair said! My mother had to go on an extreme diet, for health reasons, and during that she shed a terrible amount of hair. After she quit, it grew back. Just be careful how drastically you cut calories (exercise helps a bunch) and make sure to get your supplements in! That being said, best wishes to you!

Carolyn
February 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM
I would say make your loss goals small and slow, as in a pound or two a week. Make sure you get plenty of protein. Yes even if you don't feel like it. You need it. I can't stress the protein thing enough. Try to take a good multi vitamin, fish or flax is good and I'd suggest a hair skin and nails supplement. I take the one from WF and I swear it works. Drink plenty of water to wash out the toxins in your body, get enough rest and get moderate exercise if you can. Scalp massages are also good.

gwenalyn
February 1st, 2015, 04:49 PM
Try not to lose more than 2 pounds a week, for health reasons. More than that can be medically concerning. If you keep to that rate, I wouldn't expect any hair loss, but I could be wrong.

HumanBean
February 1st, 2015, 08:49 PM
I did a lb a week a couple years ago and the hair started shedding about 15 lbs in and it kept up until I hit my goal weight (I lost 40 lbs in 10 months) than it stopped. It's hard... But try not to stress over it...overall you are doing a great thing for your health...I started getting obsessive and counting the ahead hairs...some days it was over 600. But it's all growing back and I can see the thickness at the top of my hair that I used to have all over.

laceyfairy
February 1st, 2015, 10:39 PM
When I was losing weight my hair wasn't very healthy but I also was not losing weight in a safe way. Make sure to eat your fats and monitor your behavior in case it becomes disordered or unhealthy.

Equestrienne
March 3rd, 2015, 11:11 PM
Thank you all, very much! Your input is most welcomed. :o