PDA

View Full Version : Got my bangs dyed. It's awesome

GoblinTart
January 31st, 2015, 09:10 PM
I went to see my friend Bennie tonite. And now, I have purple and teal bangs. It's awesome. I wish the phone cameras could show what the colors actually look like. And of course, I met a new person with purple on my forehead, and paper foils in my hair. Not embarrassing at all!

Thoughts while getting my hair done:
My hair! It feels awful! What did you do to my hair! Is it gonna fall out?! (it didn't fall out)
Oh my gosh, my hair is orange. Like, bad bleach job orange. Is it supposed to be this color? (it was, dark dye didn't need me going totally platinum.)
Yeah, let's leave the short bits out of this. just do the bangs. (doing the short bits next time. The color looks cool when a piece is up against the rest of my hair)
How does it look? is it bad? Did I choose a bad color combo? I'm afraid to go look!

And the album of my hair coloring process! http://imgur.com/a/DYFTk

Edit: how we did this and not get a single drop of dye on my hairstick, i'll never know. That purple splashed everywhere!

ooglipoo
January 31st, 2015, 09:14 PM
Cool! :D Do you like it?

Addy
January 31st, 2015, 09:15 PM
Wow... that looks so cool! I love purple! And there is just enough teal to make it pop.

Aubkabob
January 31st, 2015, 09:20 PM
Oh, I LOVE it!! I really like the color combo. I've worked since I was 15, and have always had a job where I had to remain "traditional" with my hair color, or "colors found in nature". No matter that I tell them that purple is found in nature... on flowers. But it's found in nature *harrumph* Also, when I was a teen, the most interesting color that you could find anywhere was burgundy.

Therefore, I shall live vicariously through other people's hair adventures!

pastina
January 31st, 2015, 09:20 PM
make sure you wash with cold water-- the colors wont stay distinct for long, but cold water will help for a while. good news is, purple plus teal results in a really cool steely blue

GoblinTart
January 31st, 2015, 09:27 PM
I love it! She layered the colors evenly so there's about the same amount of each color. They make each other pop! Definitely doing my little short bits next time. (when i did my bangs, they turned out great, so i uh, went for some face framing layer thing. Mistakes were had. Now i gotta wait for them to grow a bit so i can get them back in the bun.) I've never had bright fun colors like this, and especially not with the bleaching. Well, once in high school, my mom let me manic panic the ends of my hair purple. During summer. Nobody saw it, it didn't turn out great and washed out in like 2 days. So this is new for me. But I love it! My husband called me My little Pony. Then wondered when i was hopping onto my broom. Odd as it sounds, this is confirmation he likes it. (we're weird like that)

GoblinTart
January 31st, 2015, 09:33 PM
make sure you wash with cold water-- the colors wont stay distinct for long, but cold water will help for a while. good news is, purple plus teal results in a really cool steely blue

Oh I know! She told me it sucks, but wash with cold. I was like uuuuggghhhh....That's cool about the color blend! She dyes her bangs all sorts of crazy and the colors don't seem to bleed together. I'd love to let her have at my whole head with something, but I can't find the point my hair goes from virgin to henna.

Edit: Is that your hair in your avatar? I love it!

GoblinTart
January 31st, 2015, 09:40 PM
Oh, I LOVE it!! I really like the color combo. I've worked since I was 15, and have always had a job where I had to remain "traditional" with my hair color, or "colors found in nature". No matter that I tell them that purple is found in nature... on flowers. But it's found in nature *harrumph* Also, when I was a teen, the most interesting color that you could find anywhere was burgundy.

Therefore, I shall live vicariously through other people's hair adventures!

Purple is totally natural. Duh! I've worked those jobs. It sucks. Bennie has kinda inspired me to go to beauty school though. My GI Bill will pay for the schools here in my area, so I luck out that way. I asked her before she did my hair if this would be bad for going up there for the interviews and application(knew one person who wasn't allowed any crazy hair in beauty school). She said just about everyone has crazy hair there and she showed up with colorful hair.

pastina
February 1st, 2015, 09:55 AM
yes, thats my hair in my avatar. :) that's why i can speak to the color bleed, lol <3 enjoy it, and honestly? welcome to the dark side!!! :twisted: you're never going to want natural hair again!

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM
yes, thats my hair in my avatar. :) that's why i can speak to the color bleed, lol <3 enjoy it, and honestly? welcome to the dark side!!! :twisted: you're never going to want natural hair again!

ha! i know! i've wanted funky hair for years. I'm thinking of having bennie strand test somewhere in the middle of my hair to see if she can lift any of my henna and then dye it and see how that works. If it works...so many options!

Majorane
February 1st, 2015, 12:03 PM
I did bleach over old henna a year and a half back... it will turn out bright orange, but if you toss some purple or teal or other darker colors over it, that doesn't matter that much :) at least it didn't for me! The light candyfloss colors are out though.

If my hair wasn't so suuuuper fragile, I'd do more of those crazy color streaks... I might get a whitish streak in my bangs again this spring. Pastina is right, bright colors and manic panic are awesome..... and yours looks wonderful! May there be many more experiments in your future!

TrapperCreekD
February 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM
Pretty! :D

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM
I did bleach over old henna a year and a half back... it will turn out bright orange, but if you toss some purple or teal or other darker colors over it, that doesn't matter that much :) at least it didn't for me! The light candyfloss colors are out though.

If my hair wasn't so suuuuper fragile, I'd do more of those crazy color streaks... I might get a whitish streak in my bangs again this spring. Pastina is right, bright colors and manic panic are awesome..... and yours looks wonderful! May there be many more experiments in your future!

I don't mind it turning bright orange if I'm able to dye over it! Didn't you see the first pic? :) I'm not into the pastel type colors. Vivid and intense is what I like. I have a thing for the pravana colors after watching Bennie's hair for the past year. Even when the colors fade, they're still insanely bright. Next time she goes out to pick up supplies, I might give her my card and have her pick up my own tubes of color.

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 12:55 PM
Pretty! :D

Thank you!

Majorane
February 1st, 2015, 01:00 PM
I don't mind it turning bright orange if I'm able to dye over it! Didn't you see the first pic? :) I'm not into the pastel type colors. Vivid and intense is what I like. I have a thing for the pravana colors after watching Bennie's hair for the past year. Even when the colors fade, they're still insanely bright. Next time she goes out to pick up supplies, I might give her my card and have her pick up my own tubes of color.

Yeah, that's why I said that my bleaching over henna kinda went okay-because you were wondering if you could do the whole head :D I saw the picture post-bleach, it was impressively bleachy orange, such a lovely color! :rolling: Not to push you one way or another, but I always really like seeing people with crazy colored streaks or just completely tealheadness. If you enjoy it so much at your bangs already I hope you're going to do it more. Like I said if my hair didn't dissolve I'd probably do it too, again.

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that's why I said that my bleaching over henna kinda went okay-because you were wondering if you could do the whole head :D I saw the picture post-bleach, it was impressively bleachy orange, such a lovely color! :rolling: Not to push you one way or another, but I always really like seeing people with crazy colored streaks or just completely tealheadness. If you enjoy it so much at your bangs already I hope you're going to do it more. Like I said if my hair didn't dissolve I'd probably do it too, again.

That's too bad about your hair. :( I think you should totally play with your bangs if they're a safe area though :D I always loved seeing people with crazy colors too. Do you remember what strength of bleach/lift/lightener was used on your hair? if i can get my hair lightened out, I'm just going to have a bunch of crazy colors throughout my natural hair to give some good fun to my buns.

Majorane
February 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Uh, I used 30vol. I did it myself, and since I was going for as light as possible it really killed my hair (from shoulder to brastrap). But if you are normal and don't do like I did, that is, gung-ho bleaching three times in a week, and your hair isn't megafine, you should fare better. I think Pastina is a pro in lightning safely for crazy colors? And, ehm, in my case, my bangs did need a lot less agressiveness to turn light, and at first it looked nice. But after a week or two the texture of the bleached bit became different, and rather obviously so. Now you seem pretty smart with these things but before you start bleaching chunks of your length, might I suggest in an inoffensive and polite way that maybe you could wait a fortnight to se how your bleached bangs hold up? :flower:

Also, don't use those box bleach kits. They are whimpy and just do damage while not bleaching much at all. You probably already know this.... :)

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 01:58 PM
Uh, I used 30vol. I did it myself, and since I was going for as light as possible it really killed my hair (from shoulder to brastrap). But if you are normal and don't do like I did, that is, gung-ho bleaching three times in a week, and your hair isn't megafine, you should fare better. I think Pastina is a pro in lightning safely for crazy colors? And, ehm, in my case, my bangs did need a lot less agressiveness to turn light, and at first it looked nice. But after a week or two the texture of the bleached bit became different, and rather obviously so. Now you seem pretty smart with these things but before you start bleaching chunks of your length, might I suggest in an inoffensive and polite way that maybe you could wait a fortnight to se how your bleached bangs hold up? :flower:

Also, don't use those box bleach kits. They are whimpy and just do damage while not bleaching much at all. You probably already know this.... :)

Dude! 3x in a week? talk about living dangerously! I'm giving it a bit of a wait, Bennie isn't going to the shop until she needs to touch up her bangs. She uses....i think it was 40 volume? She constantly checked my hair when it was in the lightener and went good enough! She doesn't like to process the hair more than she has to. I'm not using the boxed stuff. I'm afraid of my hair falling out. We are going to strand test though. I'm getting my nails done tomorrow at her house, I'll have her do it then. Be able to see how the hennaed portion reacts to bleach over time since we're not dying til she goes to the shop.

Red'N'Curly
February 1st, 2015, 02:07 PM
That looks amazing on you! I am totally in love with purple hair. My dream hair is TBL with from waist down dyed purple, and long purple bangs. *sigh* someday :)

GoblinTart
February 1st, 2015, 05:52 PM
That looks amazing on you! I am totally in love with purple hair. My dream hair is TBL with from waist down dyed purple, and long purple bangs. *sigh* someday :)

Dooo iiitttt!!!! Why not try an ombre for now with some purple?

pastina
February 2nd, 2015, 06:30 PM
noooooooo 40 volume! nooooooo!!! :scared:

unless you like chemical burns and melty hair!

if you need any help, let me know. (switch to 30 volume, though!! please!)

GoblinTart
February 3rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
noooooooo 40 volume! nooooooo!!! :scared:

unless you like chemical burns and melty hair!

if you need any help, let me know. (switch to 30 volume, though!! please!)

I'm guessing! It had a 40 on it. Bennie gets on me cause I call it bleach. She's like "it's not bleach! I don't use bleach!" It's a lightener or lifter I can't remember which it's called. I call it bleach. She puts hair conditioner in it as well to dilute it a bit. but, i trust her completely with my hair. My bangs are holding up well so far. Plus we're strand testing whenever i can get to her house. I was supposed to go yesterday, but snow, and my husband went out somewhere with my car.

TaterTot
February 3rd, 2015, 08:20 PM
I don't think there's any way you could lighten that much without bleach, but it looks super cute! As long as you keep the bangs the only bleached hair I don't think its a bad thing because you'll be trimming them as often as you damage them. I might steal this idea when my hair is long enough to have bangs!

pastina
February 3rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
the peroxide is what causes the damage, though. doesn't matter what you call it :) just warning you that that strength of developer can easily cause chemical burns. and even if you dont see damage now, it might show up in a month.

one more thing-- if you use a product with peroxide, you really should wait at least a month before you use another product with peroxide in it. and, use conditioners with protein in the meantime.

CremeTron
February 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Awesome! I love it!!

GoblinTart
February 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM
I don't think there's any way you could lighten that much without bleach, but it looks super cute! As long as you keep the bangs the only bleached hair I don't think its a bad thing because you'll be trimming them as often as you damage them. I might steal this idea when my hair is long enough to have bangs!

yeah, the night after I got them done i had to give them a trim since they were right in my eyelid crease. I try to trim the rest of my hair regularly as well, but ya know, it doesn't always happen. I should actually need one sometime next month.

GoblinTart
February 4th, 2015, 07:15 AM
the peroxide is what causes the damage, though. doesn't matter what you call it :) just warning you that that strength of developer can easily cause chemical burns. and even if you dont see damage now, it might show up in a month.

one more thing-- if you use a product with peroxide, you really should wait at least a month before you use another product with peroxide in it. and, use conditioners with protein in the meantime.

Wait a month even if it's a different area of hair? I know the lightener doesn't have ammonia, I have to see if it's peroxide free. (probably not) As far as protein conditioner.....I have some mane n tail. that's proteined, right? I just did a huge clearout of my bathroom using up stuff and tossing what i never used. The mane n tail survived since it's for my dog. (don't judge me! I like her to have soft fur!) I need to wait awhile to put anymore color in my hair anyways since bennie was almost out of most of her colors. She doesn't know when she's making it to the shop to pick up more. But i'd really like to just have a bunch of color all throughout my hair.

pastina
February 4th, 2015, 02:42 PM
oh if you're talking about doing different sections, you don't need to wait. the wait is more for the hair you've already lifted.

tbh, i'm not sure if mane and tail has protein bc i've never tried it. but don't feel judged about using that on your dog-- i've used pantene on mine in a pinch, lol

TaterTot
February 4th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I used to use mane n tail on my hair, and I use baby shampoo on my dog :3
I'd suggest the ion conditioner you get from sallys at the counter but they sell a big bottle of it, and coconut oil rinses