PDA

View Full Version : Wood combs/brushes

Eastbound&Down
January 31st, 2015, 08:09 PM
What brands should I look at? I'm currently using a plastic wide tooth comb but it isn't seamless and my BBB. I've heard wooden combs are a lot better for your hair but I don't know, are they all pretty much the same or are some better than others?

Aubkabob
January 31st, 2015, 10:21 PM
I'm so in love with my BBB and you reminded me to head to amazon to buy a wooden comb. The only one I could find locally a couple of years ago was only 2" in length. I just bought a sandalwood one, and it should be coming by Tuesday. I have used a plastic wide toothed comb for all of my adult life (after switching from the "pick" I used when I permed the life out of my hair as a teen) and always have issues with breakage.

Hotrox
January 31st, 2015, 10:29 PM
I got mine from The Body Shop, cheap, seamless and has been with me for 5 years without any problems :)

Radiant
January 31st, 2015, 10:38 PM
I have this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2952Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have been very happy with it so far (had it about 6 months).

Portas
February 1st, 2015, 12:05 AM
Hi, who knows the best way to clean a wood brush?

Eastbound&Down
February 1st, 2015, 06:18 AM
Hi, who knows the best way to clean a wood brush?

From what I've read, I think warm water and light soap. But don't soak it, if you do a search on here it should bring something up :) I looked for my BBB a while back.

Stiria
February 1st, 2015, 06:47 AM
I have a comb from The Body Shop too. It's a good comb. I don't think it matters much what brand you choose or what type of wood the comb is made of. What is important is that the comb is perfectly smooth.

sjlaurence
February 1st, 2015, 07:12 AM
I got mine from The Body Shop, cheap, seamless and has been with me for 5 years without any problems :)

I have a comb from The Body Shop too. It's a good comb. I don't think it matters much what brand you choose or what type of wood the comb is made of. What is important is that the comb is perfectly smooth.
My mom also uses one from The Body Shop. I've used it before and I really liked it.

Eastbound&Down
February 1st, 2015, 07:27 AM
OK awesome I'll have to make my way over to the body shop. Any idea on price?

Ambrielle
February 1st, 2015, 08:06 AM
i have a wood brush from the body shop. At first i didn't like it, i felt like it wouldn't go through my hair but i love it now, it's so gentle.

sjlaurence
February 3rd, 2015, 02:52 AM

I waited to see if someone else would answer as I don't think my answer will be of much use to you since we don't live in the same part of the world. I don't like to see questions left unanswered though: If I remember correctly my mom paid R50 for her comb, converted to dollars that is approximately $5. I hope that helps in some way. :)
Let us know when you have bought yours and what you think of it*

Nevb1973
February 3rd, 2015, 06:40 AM
I'm new to all this. Why is a wooden comb better than a plastic one? Does it do something different for your hair? I just have a plastic wide tooth, I don't think I have ever even seen a wooen comb.

Ambrielle
February 3rd, 2015, 07:34 AM

i paid in euros for my bamboo brush, converted to US dollar mine was 12.

Ambrielle
February 3rd, 2015, 07:38 AM
I'm new to all this. Why is a wooden comb better than a plastic one? Does it do something different for your hair? I just have a plastic wide tooth, I don't think I have ever even seen a wooen comb.

some people do believe plastic combs can damage hair. I personally have not seen personal evidence of such in my hair. What i think makes the whole difference is wether or not the comb is seamless. All mine are. Wooden combs are very gentle, i had one from the body shop years ago but it wouldn't go through my thick hair at all, the brush glides through much better once i have detangled it with my seamless wide tooth comb.

Jeno86
February 3rd, 2015, 08:54 AM
Am I the only one that a wooden comb creates a crazy amount of static in one's hair?

Belle Paix
February 3rd, 2015, 09:14 AM
I love my BBB comb. It's one of my favorites. I think I got that because of a suggestion on here. And I actually did get two or three just in case I lost one :)

Eastbound&Down
February 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
I got one! I really like it, it's very gentle and doesn't pull like my plastic one. I still have to use the plastic one in the shower but it's ok because my conditioner help it glide through.

sjlaurence
February 3rd, 2015, 11:44 PM
some people do believe plastic combs can damage hair. I personally have not seen personal evidence of such in my hair....
I find my wooden comb to be much gentler on my individual strands and even on my scalp whereas plastic somehow tangles up my fine, thin hair. The success of using a wooden comb probably depends on your hair texture and distance between the tines on the comb.

Am I the only one that a wooden comb creates a crazy amount of static in one's hair?
My comb certainly doesn't create static, perhaps it has something to do with the type of wood or whether or not it has been sealed with something. :)

Ingrid
February 3rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
Wooden combs are a bit of a pain to clean...

Isilme
February 4th, 2015, 12:51 AM
I have a non branded boxwood comb that I adore because of the pointy scratchy teeth, they are wonderful for the scalp. I also have a bamboo comb that claims to be eco-friendly. Unfortunately a lot of wooden combs are made from exotic endangered species. Though the ones from The Body Shop are marked with FSC, Forest Stewardship Council.
Here is the bamboo comb, the one without handle
http://oliviagarden.com/combs/hh-comb.php

Quixii
February 4th, 2015, 01:19 AM
My wood brush is Bass brand, I believe. I like it a lot. :)