PDA

View Full Version : 17 Crazy Hair Myths (video)

Aurum
January 31st, 2015, 06:46 PM
A video by Mental Floss on hair myths. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQ3tqSl3g0)
Enjoy!

teddygirl
January 31st, 2015, 06:53 PM
Love these! Thanks for the share.

Colochita
January 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM
This is interesting. I really believed the last one. I always end wash day with a cold water rinse. I don't know, it seems to make a difference for me. I think I'll keep doing it. :)

Fericera
January 31st, 2015, 07:15 PM
This is interesting. I really believed the last one. I always end wash day with a cold water rinse. I don't know, it seems to make a difference for me. I think I'll keep doing it. :)

I agree. I love a cool rinse on my hair. Maybe part of it is that the conditioner isn't rinsed out as thoroughly as with warm water, thus keeping it smoother and shinier?

zellfaze
January 31st, 2015, 08:53 PM
I've always been a big fan of Mental Floss. Their other misconception videos are pretty great too. It kind of blows my mind that people had some of the beliefs that the video discusses; in particular, I can't imagine how anyone got it into their head that playing brass instruments would lead to hair loss. It just seems bizarre to me.

Aubkabob
January 31st, 2015, 09:10 PM
OOh, thank you! I never believed that washing your hair in cold water made your hair shinier, but used to rinse my hair with much cooler water because my mom insisted that my hair would get greasy less fast, as it would close the pores on the scalp. I suppose that would make more sense, as the scalp is living tissue and the hairs themselves are not.

P.S. - Zell, is that a chocobo in your icon?

Red'N'Curly
February 1st, 2015, 06:55 AM
Um, I'm not buying that last one. My hair is definitely shinier with cool water. But maybe it has more to do with not stripping the sebum out?

zellfaze
February 1st, 2015, 08:23 AM
P.S. - Zell, is that a chocobo in your icon?

Yes. Yes it is. :D:D

Um, I'm not buying that last one. My hair is definitely shinier with cool water. But maybe it has more to do with not stripping the sebum out?

It certainly does not harm. So if it seems to work for you for some reason I'd go ahead and keep doing it.

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 04:01 PM
Cold rinses never did a thing for me, and besides... they're "cold". :lol:

DreamSheep
February 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM
Weird about the cool water, because I definitely find that a cold shoot at the end makes it shinier.
I'd say the cuticles do close more as a mechanical action, cold water may make the shaft contract by pulling them in, whereas warm water opens them /makes it swell.
I don't see how hair needs to be alive to do that :p

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 04:56 PM
Weird about the cool water, because I definitely find that a cold shoot at the end makes it shinier.
I'd say the cuticles do close more as a mechanical action, cold water may make the shaft contract by pulling them in, whereas warm water opens them /makes it swell.
I don't see how hair needs to be alive to do that :p

Doesn't a washing machine do a cool rinse after washing the clothes as well? Hmm... :hmm:
And those are dead fibers as well.

Annalouise
February 1st, 2015, 05:11 PM
haha, funny video! Thanks for sharing.:)