PDA

View Full Version : A nice article for us older ladies

renarok
January 31st, 2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.purpleclover.com/lifestyle/1724-why-stir-long-hair-over-40/
This was a refreshing take on long hair acceptance for us. I've long since stopped caring about the opinions of others, but I know some of us still have to contend with judgemental comments from friends and family.

chen bao jun
January 31st, 2015, 06:27 PM
Why wouldn't her hair dresser want her to cut her hair shorter? shorter hair means maintenence by frequent trims, aka more cash for the stylist.

Conflict of interest. ...

Dyeing grey hair means $$$$for hairdressers, too. Isn't it odd how all the things you must do as an older woman not only mean not looking how you want AND spending lots of money?

Sterlyn
January 31st, 2015, 06:39 PM
Yeah that was a nice article. It's nice to read some validation of someone outside the norms, however like you I could give a rat's ass about other's opinions on my fashion choices.

As far as leaving a good hair stylist over a clash of ideas, I did the same thing. It wasn't over length, but color. This gal was a wiz with layers, gave me some of the best hair cuts I've ever had. When I stated that I was going to be done coloring my hair, she gave me some real crap over it. Said I was too young, would look awful all the usual. The really odd thing was she had no financial stake in my hair color because I colored at home. I was so irritated with her that I never went back.

My own extended family is starting to look at me with wide eyes when they see me with my hair down. I have never shared my hair goals with them (waist but TBL is starting to look mighty tempting) but I think they are wondering what in the world has gotten into me. *shrugs most of them know better than to corner me over it, I have always been the black sheep of the family, the cranky sheep that will grow big teeth and claws if need be.

Alexa
January 31st, 2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm still in my 30s, but my mother is in her 70s and has undyed silver hair somewhere in the APL region. It's think its lovely, but I've heard my brother say how ridiculous he thinks it looks. :bs: As someone who has just recently gained the confidence to grow my hair long for the first time since I was a little girl, I plan to keep in as long as possible for as long as possible! To all of you who do the same, I salute you! :rockerdud

Sarahlabyrinth
January 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM
What a great article - thank you !

MicheleZ
January 31st, 2015, 07:02 PM
I get really tired of society deciding what older women should look like.

truepeacenik
February 1st, 2015, 12:36 AM
Why wouldn't her hair dresser want her to cut her hair shorter? shorter hair means maintenence by frequent trims, aka more cash for the stylist.

Conflict of interest. ...

Dyeing grey hair means $$$$for hairdressers, too. Isn't it odd how all the things you must do as an older woman not only mean not looking how you want AND spending lots of money?

I saw the issue as the stylist informing her that she would get a chop. So the writer found a new stylist who respected her, and women aging on their own terms.

You know, since 24 is too old for long hair.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129245

browneyedsusan
February 2nd, 2015, 05:00 AM
Fabulous article!

I am having trouble reconciling the hairdresser time line in the article: 2 years or 6 years? --but that's just me!

hanne jensen
February 2nd, 2015, 05:11 AM
Great article! The author is very lucky to find a hairdresser that respects her wishes.

Red'N'Curly
February 3rd, 2015, 09:30 AM
Great article. I am printing it and mailing it to my grandmother. She will be 80 this spring, and has BSL hair :) 20 years ago she got a lot of flack from my parents, who wanted her to stop dying her short hair black, so she did. 10 years ago they were on her case about her short, tightly permed gray hair, saying she should grow it long. So she did. These days they gripe at her about her long hair, saying it's too thin and looks like a scraggly witch.

Thankfully she's decided that she is beyond caring what other people think. Her hair is no thicker than my 2-year-old's. She combs it with a plastic pic that must be an antique by now. She wears it in a teeny tiny bun held up with the green rubberband that came around this morning's newspaper. She keeps small bangs that she wears in a single pin curl in the middle of her forehead.

And she likes it that way.

Go Grandma! :)

brickworld13
February 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Oh I love this!! I get a fair amount of evil comments about my surplus of silvers. The haters can shove it. I'm done with the frustration of dying it.

dulce
February 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
I find this article from Purple clover above very ironic as a month ago Purple clover stole a pic of my silver butt length loose hair and posted it to their page without my knowledge asking people what they thought of my hair...A friend recognized my pic,told me and I was horrified to read the nasty general public comments about me eg my hair literally made someone gag, I was a skank,banshee ..etc I had never heard of Purple clover before this.The stolen pic was the same as my avatar here,not that bad of a pic to get such hateful comments towards someone they didn't even know just because of having long gray hair .

Several friends and I wrote public complaints to Purple clover several times to finally get that stolen pic and the public comments removed from their page..Eventually it all was.After that experience I lost all respect for Purple clover..Someone wrote my hair was so ugly and Purple clover even liked that comment.I'm still annoyed a bit.

chen bao jun
February 3rd, 2015, 04:43 PM
Gosh,Dulce, that does cast a different light on things.

Stealing your avatar is horrible. Putting it up for Internet trolls to take pot shots at is worse. Liking their nasty and untruthful comments is beyond th e pale. Writing this article afterwards is chutzpah.

Do you know what chutzpah is? It's the guy who kills his parents and then begs the court for mercy because he's an orphan.

To be able to hAve hair like yours is a dream that most cannot accomplish at any age. I think that explains the jealous screeching.

Sterlyn
February 3rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Dulce, I didn't notice that this was one of the sites that your pic ended up on. That changes the tone of the article for me as well. To completely vilify and ridicule someone because of a hair choice one month, then post an article uplifting the value of choice for women as they age doesn't sit well with me--at all. The title " Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it" is really at odds with how you were treated. I am confused though as the date is listed as 1/30/15, yet there are comments from a year ago.

I'm sorry I should have realized this was the same site. I don't see how they can speak out of both sides of there mouths, as we say around here.

dulce
February 3rd, 2015, 07:12 PM
I think my pic may have been stolen and shared and passed all over the internet for awhile eventually turning up on the Purple clover site where I was first notified by a friend. That may be why the comments were up to a year old and some comments very new.I had no idea it was ever stolen till my friend notified me about the Purple clover site.Rather scary .And the nasty comments very unnerving.That pic showed many shares when I checked ..That's my guess on what happened.I was never asked at anytime about sharing my pic or asked if I wanted to be the subject of any ''what do you think of this hair '' type articles.When you posted that article from Purple clover it just brought back how violated I felt by their publishing that pic /article on my hair a month or so ago on their site and I found it hypocritical after what they had done to me..I was told that same pic also ended up on café gray[private membership chat site] but a friend who belonged to it asked to have it removed there and it was.My pic also turned up on the fashion over fifty site where my hair was the subject of nasty comments as I don't fit the stylish salon older lady stereotype.Luckily someone told me about it there and since it was stolen, a few friends and I asked for it's removal and they did a day or so later..Long hair ageism is alive and well sadly.I had to cut my butt length hair to my waist due to stress thinning and my 2 recent breast cancer surgeries.Hopefully my upcoming double mastectomy surgery in early march and it's pathology results won't show unexpected invasive cancer not shown in the mammo[rare but it can happen] resulting in unexpected chemo and all my hair gone..This is definitely not the time for me to deal with put downs by strangers about my hair choice.It's very annoying..And I'm not in the mood to be nice!

browneyedsusan
February 4th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Dulce, I didn't notice that this was one of the sites that your pic ended up on. That changes the tone of the article for me as well. To completely vilify and ridicule someone because of a hair choice one month, then post an article uplifting the value of choice for women as they age doesn't sit well with me--at all. The title " Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it" is really at odds with how you were treated. I am confused though as the date is listed as 1/30/15, yet there are comments from a year ago.

I'm sorry I should have realized this was the same site. I don't see how they can speak out of both sides of there mouths, as we say around here.

Amen!

----------

CremeTron
February 4th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Great article. I am printing it and mailing it to my grandmother. She will be 80 this spring, and has BSL hair :) 20 years ago she got a lot of flack from my parents, who wanted her to stop dying her short hair black, so she did. 10 years ago they were on her case about her short, tightly permed gray hair, saying she should grow it long. So she did. These days they gripe at her about her long hair, saying it's too thin and looks like a scraggly witch.

Thankfully she's decided that she is beyond caring what other people think. Her hair is no thicker than my 2-year-old's. She combs it with a plastic pic that must be an antique by now. She wears it in a teeny tiny bun held up with the green rubberband that came around this morning's newspaper. She keeps small bangs that she wears in a single pin curl in the middle of her forehead.

And she likes it that way.

Go Grandma! :)

YEAHHH! Go Grandma!

CremeTron
February 4th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Never heard of Purple Clover before but I read the article and am glad people are sticking up for "older" women with long hair. I do have a problem with the hurtful comments directed at dulce and the unauthorised use of her pics.

What a shame women after middle age are labelled this way? I am pretty sure throughout history that the tags "crazy" and "witch" were mainly about prejudice against intelligent older women who were content with themselves and perhaps a little furry friend. It seems like if we women do not conform we are crazy or witches. Well, (insert expletive) to that!

Beezle
February 6th, 2015, 03:56 AM
What a despicable thing to do, Dulce. Even though we tell ourselves not to be concerned about peoples opinions, especially the cowardly anonymous opinions, it still hurts. And it's such a cruel time for it to happen. Wishing you strength through your surgery, good recuperation and a successful outcome.

chen bao jun
February 6th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Best to you, Dulce.
Your comments have me thinking again about how unsafe our personal photos are on LHC in spite of the safeguards and the unforeseen obnoxious uses they can be put to. Who would have thought your avatar could be put up for the public to vote on. This is so intrusive that it's incredible. Clearly there is no sense out there of real people with feelings behind photos nor of the fact that mo s t of us are not reality show st a re or celebrities who invite this kind of boundary violation.

I'm sorry.

quendelyn
February 7th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I'm 61, my hair wil be waist leangth by Christmas. I have always had long hair, except for a few times when I thought shorter would be less work. Each time it turned out to be more upkeep, plus I missed the feel of my long hair. I will keep it long now. I love my hair this way, and could really care less if some people don't like older women to have long hair.