PDA

View Full Version : Help with split ends, protein overload???

hidetheice
January 31st, 2015, 01:22 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to this site but I've been reading off and on for years.

I've been struggling with my hair for a long time and the harder i tried to fix it the worse it got. Well, I think I've finally figured out the source- protein overload.
I've had a keratin treatment on my hair 3x in about a years span. The first time I had one I loved it. Then the next two didn't work as well. In addition to that I've been using keratin infused shampoos, conditions, deep treatments, and various other products with protein. Obviously I've cut out all protein containing products. I've done two SMTs the past week using garnier triple nutrition condition and have seen a HUGE improvement. My hair was soft for the first time in...a long long time.

My main question is regarding my split ends. I trim them ALL THE TIME using high quailty hair scissors. And they come back THE VERY NEXT DAY. I don't know what to do =( I can hear my hair breaking just when i run my fingers through it. Just tons and tons of little split ends. Any advice? I'm starting CWC and going to do SMT 2/week. I rarely use heat on my hair, am very careful with it. I'm just so sick of having dry hair with split ends.

I think my hair is 2a/c/ii.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hotrox
January 31st, 2015, 02:25 AM
Sorry to hear you're struggling with your hair, it does sound like protein overload as well as chemical damage.

Your best bet is to continue with moisturizing treatments, very gentle detangling (tangle teezer or wide tooth comb in the shower with conditioner on), protective up do's and a silk pillowcase along with a regular trimming schedule.

Conditioners with cones will also give your hair some slip and protection, I really like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Gives great moisture, I use it as a leave in too.

Good luck with your hair

Hotrox
January 31st, 2015, 02:26 AM
double post!

Johannah
January 31st, 2015, 03:35 AM
Everything Hotrox said, and: moisture moisture moisture. You could try CWCC with the last C SMT and leave it in your hair for 30 minutes, heavy oil before you wash your hair, use a leave in conditioner or shea butter on a regular basis. Good luck!

Anje
January 31st, 2015, 07:28 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track, and the previous advice is solid. I just want to add: make sure your hair shears are sharp! Cutting hair with too-dull tools leaves a ragged end that quickly resplits,and can be counterproductive in trying to fight the split end battle..

Ambrielle
January 31st, 2015, 07:55 AM
Protein is a funny one, once the hair has had enough of it it will revolt against it. The key is to keep a balance between protein and moisture and get to know what your hair needs. Some hair types need one more than the other and depending on your personal circumstances. You sound like you have similar hair texture to mine, coarse hair is known to overload on protein quickly and depending on your porosity you might lose moisture as quickly too. You did well to cut off those products from your routine. Humectants, honey, aloe vera (although for some as myself it can mimicate protein), panthenol, plant and fruit extracts are key ingredients in your moisturizing products. Cones may help too, my hair loves them and the slip they give it.

As for the splits, i am afraid there is not much else than can be done other that trimming them as you have been doing. If you are finding a few here and there i wouldn't worry too much but say of half of your hair is covered in splits a bigger trim or more frequent trims may be the way to go? Did you have any previous damage aside the protein overload? Sometimes i find splits here and there but mine are mostly from years of chemical abuse.

LeMimi13
January 31st, 2015, 08:05 AM
Keratin treatments as in a straightening process? Well, maybe that's it... Maybe you need a big trim to get the splits out , becaude some might be so old that they're causing breakage from a very high spot on the hair itself...