PDA

View Full Version : measuring wavy hair?

Miss Hidley
September 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
hey all! just wanted to ask for some advice about how you measure your hair. Since I was so disappointed with the last chop I got (don't get me started) I'm trying to cheer myself up by at least monitoring the growth. But my hair is wavy, so it changes every time I wash it. I measured it after the chop and got 22in on the length, 11 3/4 on the layers and 6in on the fringe. Now 10 days later I got 23 in, 11.5 and 6in.... So it has grown, shrunk and stayed the same?! Can anyone tell me how to do it accurately?
thanks!!

spidermom
September 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I find I'm happiest when I don't measure because my numbers vary a lot. When I do measure, I do it when my hair is the straightest and limpest that it gets between washings. I also always had the same person do it -- my DD. She's moved far away now, so I'll have to watch body milestones from now on. Next stop tailbone.

Ohio Sky
September 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I also gave up on measuring. Body milestones come faster if you're not obsessing over the tape measure, too.

AutumnLeaves
September 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have always had my husband do the measuring (though I haven't measured in months because he apparently lost the knack of reading a tape measure!), and I always have him pull the curls down straight for measuring. To me that is an accurate measure because if it was straighted with an iron it would be that long so that is what I go with.

rhosyn_du
September 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I try to measure right after taking my hair out of my sleep braids, which gives me the most consistent numbers. Even so, I sometimes get weird measurements, like with my last trim where my hair measured 3/4" longer right after the trim than it did right before. :ponder: Basically, I just think of the measurements as a rough guide to how fast my hair is growing, but I count on more practical things (ease of various updos, suddenly having to move hair out of the way during various activities) to keep track of how much my hair is actually growing.

ChatoyantLocks
September 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I measure mine dripping wet and pulled straight. There is just too much variation in the length, based on the degree of wave on any individual day, to get an accurate measurement otherwise.

snowbear
September 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I measure where the bulk of my hair is, and then measure again pulled straight. Whichever I feel is the truer measurement is the one I go with.

I think I measure less than once a month, though. Body measurements work better for me.

AprilElf
September 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I measure when my hair is wet (or damp) just after a wash, and I pull it straight. I usually measure every two months. I remember when I first started measuring, though, I kept getting weird and inconsistent numbers ... ;)

Katze
September 30th, 2008, 03:05 AM
When I was measuring mine a lot, I measured with freshly washed hair pulled straight.

At the moment I am not measuring; with taper like mine and all the old layers growing in and new baby hairs moving down the length, I'm not happy just looking at the length of the longest bits. Thickness and a more even hemline, measured against body milestones, is what's helping me see my hair is growing. But I am also a regular trimmer.

Arctic_Mama
September 30th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I don't measure much, it depresses me. But when I DO measure I take the largest, longest clump in the middle of my back and pull it straight. That way I am consistently measuring every time. Picture measuring/body part milestones are my favorite, in which case I take freshly washed and oiled hair to a picture. It should be more or less an accurate reflection of progress.

Arctic
September 30th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I measure mine dripping wet and pulled straight. There is just too much variation in the length, based on the degree of wave on any individual day, to get an accurate measurement otherwise.

This is the way I do it too: My fiance measures for me right after my shower, after I have combed my hair with wide toothed comb. I think it's important to always do it the same way.

I also take pictures wet and dry. I can usually only see difference when I compare pictures that have been taken some 3 months apart though.

Some people have had success with using always same stripy shirt when taking pictures.

mira-chan
September 30th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I measure before wash, at it's staightest, and pulled straight.

Periwinkle
September 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I don't measure too much because I'd rather just wait and then think 'oh look, it grew!'.

I measure 3 ways: as-is, pulled taught and wet & combed. Wet & combed is a hassle but accurate. Pulled taught is my favourite method because it's easy but more accurate than as-is. As-is tells me how much longer my hair looks, though.

Oskimosa
October 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
I do it wet, too, SOAKING wet, and pull it down too. I pinch the ends and tape together, release the hair, and read the number. I DO have someone do it again for me to help verify, but that's just because I haven't practiced enough to trust myself completely.

sky
October 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have to come down on the side of measuring when wet, too.....DH has to help me, and for some strange, XY reason, he cannot deal w/ doing it dry. The curls confuse him and no amount of "Just pull it down straight and measure the longest part in the back" gets it.

He CAN deal w/ it wet, though, so that's what we do.

Men.....ya gotta love 'em!!! :lol:

sky

Euphony
October 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have a U shaped hemline so hubby measures it for me. He pulls the center straight and measures to the tip, pretty accurate that way. Haven't measured in a few months though since hubby swiped the tape measure for something I can't remember now and we can't find it anywhere.

maskedrose
October 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
I rarely measure because of the waviness. Like some of the others have said, body part measuring is the easiest way for me to accurately judge growth.

SweetPea88
October 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
I measure mine when dry and just pull the waves straight. It's much easier when BF helps, though.

Eden Iris
October 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't bother any more because it is too difficult to get accurate measurements on wavy hair. I can tell it's growing because the ends come to a different place on the coil when I do a bun.

jivete
October 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think I might give up measuring except every 3 months or so. It's too easy to get obsessed or upset when it seems to not be where you think it should. I've done it wet and combed which I don't care for now that it's longer and dry and stretched, which I prefer.

OR Cowgirl
October 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
I also always measure my hair wet and combed out. My waves and curls are just too unpredictable to do otherwise! LOL!

Iylivarae
October 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I just stretch it with my hand when I am measuring. Otherwise, I wouldn't get good measurements.