PDA

View Full Version : Science of Hair growth?

TheGoddess
January 25th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Which parts of your hair grow faster, If I have layers will it take a long time for the shortest layers to catch up the longest ones? Also do layers cause split ends, because I always had long hair never had split end problems until I was around 12 or 13 and I got my first layered cut, everysince then the ends of my hair look ragedy, I remember when I didnt even know what a split end was my hair used to be so healthy. My shortest layer is shoulder length and my longest is waist, I absolutely Hate it.:(

gthlvrmx
January 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I don't think layers cause split ends. Hair grows at an average 5-6 inches a year so it might take maybe a year or two(maybe more) for your layers to even up. Have you looked into microtrimming? Maybe that can help you with your layers problem. With microtrimming, you can keep your length that you have and grow slowly towards a more blunt cut look. Or you can grow your longest layers to hip and maintain there at hip while allowing the shorter layers to catch up.

Madora
January 25th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Since all your hair is growing (some folks' hair grows at different speeds) it is not likely that your short layers will catch up to your longest layers, unless you keep the longest layer trimmed at a certain length while waiting for the shortest layer to catch up.

I don't think layers cause split ends (those are usually due to not enough moisture or mechanical damage). I do believe your hair is more protected if you have all one length hair.

If splits are your problem, you might want to review your hair care routine (and the products you use) and see if the culprit is there. Also, it helps if you wear your hair up to protect those delicate ends. A silk pillow case cover is another great idea for protecting your ends at night. Good luck!

Doreen
January 25th, 2015, 05:07 PM
A layered cut could be the cause of the split ends if your hairdresser used a razor down the shaft of the hair and sliced off the hair at a steep angle, if that makes sense. This damage may be causing breakage on those shorter layers which will make it seem like they are growing more slowly than the rest. I personally have not experienced any part of my hair growing faster than the others.

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 05:18 PM
I have a layered cut (short layers), have had it since hitting waist length. I'm TBL+ right now and I have no splits or white dots. I rarely get them. I had white dots back when my hair was still permed (it wasn't layered then) and I had tons of splits then too.

It's got everything to do with damage. That's my take on it, anyway.

Rushli
January 25th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I have a layered cut (short layers), have had it since hitting waist length. I'm TBL+ right now and I have no splits or white dots. I rarely get them. I had white dots back when my hair was still permed (it wasn't layered then) and I had tons of splits then too.

It's got everything to do with damage. That's my take on it, anyway.

That is my take on layers too.

spidermom
January 25th, 2015, 06:14 PM
You will never have hair that is all one length because every single day hairs reach the end of their growth cycles and shed out, and every single day new hairs grow in. Therefore, you will always have hairs that range from barely 1/4 inch long to the longest hair on your head. If you don't maintain a layered haircut, it only takes a year or two, maybe a little more, before you can't tell that it was layered on purpose.

TheGoddess
January 25th, 2015, 08:20 PM
A layered cut could be the cause of the split ends if your hairdresser used a razor down the shaft of the hair and sliced off the hair at a steep angle, if that makes sense. This damage may be causing breakage on those shorter layers which will make it seem like they are growing more slowly than the rest. I personally have not experienced any part of my hair growing faster than the others.
yes! she does that, it *****s up my hair. I have to find a new hair dresser and do dustings until I reach hip length, and just wait it out