PDA

View Full Version : Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Got the idea from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4K9AgIn_Q
(Basically you use an oil (natural, MO) post shampoo (and rinse it out) but pre rinse-out conditioner.)

Turns out meteor has some experience with this method already, and I'm glad she shared her experiences with it (Kinky 4's thread, no-trimming thread).

It's worth it giving it a shot, ladies & gents!

I tried it for the first time today, and to ease into it, I used 5 drops of MO pre-shampoo instead of post-shampoo. I didn't want oily hair, so I tried it before shampoo to check and see what it would be like. I like it so far. The test will be post-shampoo and pre-conditioner, and I will try this next Sunday (wash day) with 3 drops of MO, just... steady as she goes. I am only using oil on the lengths/ends and not on the scalp!

Who else wants to try?

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Meeeeeeeeeee! I actually have used your first method quite a bit, and I liked it, but I want to try it too on the post wash part

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Meeeeeeeeeee! I actually have used your first method quite a bit, and I liked it, but I want to try it too on the post wash part

I think lots of people have tried oil pre-shampoo, it's a pre-poo method, very popular. That's what prompted me to try this first as it's been around for God knows how long and isn't reported to be "oily" or "greasy" in its results. The test will be post-shampoo!

meteor
January 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Awesome thread, lapushka! How do you use oil-rinsing before shampooing: do you wet your hair, then spread oil, then WCC?
I've never thought of doing this pre-shampoo, but then I already do do pre-poo oiling on dry hair anyway.

I've only done oil rinsing in-between shampoo and conditioning, kind of like an oil booster to conditioner. I can't do this too often, or my hair gets greasy, but it's great for dry, coarse hair and is a great help for detangling hair, making hair super-soft and dramatically reducing frizz and static.

I think this method originates from natural kinky-curly hair community. And there are lots of helpful YouTube videos on this! Check them out! ;)

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 03:03 PM
OH GREAT!
now about oils! Does olive oil and jojoba oil work? Can I use any oil in the world?

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Awesome thread, lapushka! How do you use oil-rinsing before shampooing: do you wet your hair, then spread oil, then WCC?
I've never thought of doing this pre-shampoo, but then I already do do pre-poo oiling on dry hair anyway.

What happened this Sunday? Wet hair thoroughly, wrung most of the wetness out. Used 5 drops of MO, spread through palms, and applied to ends only (didn't dare use it on the full lengths of it). Then it was immediately rinsed out. Just a tiny rinse, not long. Then shampoo as usual. Wrung the wetness out. Put first conditioner into it. Left for 2 min., rinsed out. Used second conditioner on wrung-out hair. Left 2 min., then rinsed out. Wrung hair out. Put into turbie for 15 to 20 min. Then combed with a wide-tooth comb and styled using the LOC method. Well, actually, it's LCO in my case. A 2 eurocoin's worth of leave-in spread over the lengths, then the same amount of gel scrunched in. Then the same amount of serum, spread through palms and then scrunched in.

That's it. :)

Hair is dry, and is nice and soft! I esp. like my ends and they're not oily.

meteor
January 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
OH GREAT!
now about oils! Does olive oil and jojoba oil work? Can I use any oil in the world?

I've never tried it with jojoba, but I hope other LHC-ers will chime in. Olive was wayyyy too heavy for me. It took me a few washes to get it out. But let this not deter you from experimenting: it may work for you beautifully!

One word of caution: if one has fine, straight hair and struggles with volume, oil-rinsing may be way too heavy. Use something light (e.g. grapeseed, mineral) and really small amounts.

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 03:14 PM
One word of caution: if one has fine, straight hair and struggles with volume, oil-rinsing may be way too heavy. Use something light (e.g. grapeseed, mineral) and really small amounts.

Oh yes, definitely. Go slow with it. I have F hair (it *is* textured, but still F). That's why I was so cautious. :)

wilderwein
Hmmm I have a oil that it claims to be a dry oil wich basicaly has lots of oils on it and you can use it on your body and skin too, so I will try that first (wich surely it will rinse easier than olive oil)

meteor
Thanks so much for this information, lapushka! :D It's great to know that it works even with WCC and LOC (or LCO) in the same wash cycle! :thumbsup: Yay!

Ambrielle
January 25th, 2015, 03:33 PM
i have tried this last summer and it worked fairly well for me :) i used almond oil. But my method may be a little different? hmm not sure. What i did is i wet my hair and washed it with either sulfate free shampoo or cone free conditioner (whatever i was using at the time) first, then applied the oil, then rinsed it out and applied a heavier/ coney conditioner.

Jojoba oil does not work with my hair i got lots of broken pieces whenever i used it straight (it acts like a protein treatment on my hair) but i would like to try other oils such as my beloved camellia oil and MO.

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Hmmm I have a oil that it claims to be a dry oil wich basicaly has lots of oils on it and you can use it on your body and skin too, so I will try that first (wich surely it will rinse easier than olive oil)

Is it by Garnier or L'oreal by any chance. Most likely it is a serum (with silicones) rather than a pure oil.

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Is it by Garnier or L'oreal by any chance. Most likely it is a serum (with silicones) rather than a pure oil.

No, its that http://www.sephora.com/divine-oil-P374502 let me now if any of the ingredients are bad for hair couse some of them I dont actually now what they are o.o

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 04:47 PM
No, its that http://www.sephora.com/divine-oil-P374502 let me now if any of the ingredients are bad for hair couse some of them I dont actually now what they are o.o

These are the ingredients:

Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil*, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Isoamyl Cocoate*, Coco-Caprylate*, Fragrance, Ethylhexyl Palmitate*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Seed Oil*, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil*, Tocopherol*, Palmitoyl Grape Seed Extract*, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit/Leaf/Stem Extract*, Citric Acid*, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol. 2008/107/084. *Plant origin.

Seems okay enough... although it's not completely natural. But then again, neither is mineral oil. :shrug:

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I know right? There is no yet the GREAT product >_< I tried mineral oil but it makes my hair look weird =/ but then again I tried a serum wich had silicones AND mineral oil and it was perfect =| hair whats wrong with you?

lapushka
January 25th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I know right? There is no yet the GREAT product >_< I tried mineral oil but it makes my hair look weird =/ but then again I tried a serum wich had silicones AND mineral oil and it was perfect =| hair whats wrong with you?

:lol: Yep, you just have to give it what it wants. No rhyme or reason! :lol:

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 05:02 PM
:lol: Yep, you just have to give it what it wants. No rhyme or reason! :lol:

It is a -beautiful- living monster!!!

veryhairyfairy
January 26th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I actually tried this method last year and found it to be too many steps for me in the shower, so I just add the same amount of oil to my last conditioner and only apply from the shoulders down. I'm loving what adding oil to my conditioner is doing, and it takes me so much less time than sealing my hair afterward (a la the LOC method).

Even with a full tablespoon in less than 1/4 cup of conditioner my hair doesn't end up greasy, just a bit oiled. In fact, my damaged ends don't even look oiled, just the healthy hair. (I assume that's because the damaged hair has more surface 'pits, cracks, etc' for the oil to go into, instead of just sitting on the surface)

lapushka
January 26th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I actually tried this method last year and found it to be too many steps for me in the shower, so I just add the same amount of oil to my last conditioner and only apply from the shoulders down. I'm loving what adding oil to my conditioner is doing, and it takes me so much less time than sealing my hair afterward (a la the LOC method).

Even with a full tablespoon in less than 1/4 cup of conditioner my hair doesn't end up greasy, just a bit oiled. In fact, my damaged ends don't even look oiled, just the healthy hair. (I assume that's because the damaged hair has more surface 'pits, cracks, etc' for the oil to go into, instead of just sitting on the surface)

A full tablespoon... Gives me something to think about. Here *I* am with my few drops of MO. :lol:

veryhairyfairy
January 26th, 2015, 08:49 AM
A full tablespoon... Gives me something to think about. Here *I* am with my few drops of MO. :lol:

:lol: Right? TBH I was really surprised this last wash that I didn't end up with clumpy greasy hair. It looks great after a night of absorbing/rubbing off, now. To me it doesn't even look oiled anymore.
But hey, I bet your locks are a LOT less thirsty than my own, so a tablespoon of oil could be a nightmare for you!

lapushka
January 26th, 2015, 08:56 AM
:lol: Right? TBH I was really surprised this last wash that I didn't end up with clumpy greasy hair. It looks great after a night of absorbing/rubbing off, now. To me it doesn't even look oiled anymore.
But hey, I bet your locks are a LOT less thirsty than my own, so a tablespoon of oil could be a nightmare for you!

It's just that I still condition twice, and do LOC after, so... yeah a tablespoon might be too much. :D

MINAKO
January 26th, 2015, 09:50 AM
right in the shower is pretty much the only time i do not use oil, although its still on my hair from the pre poo.
i tried to other way of oilrinsing a few times, since apparently the warm water makes it easier for the oil to spread and penetrate deeper, buti never had problems with that and didnt really notice a difference.

anyways, ihave everything i would need to try that out at home anyways, so i might as well give it a shot next time i wash.
i have sesame and macadamia oil to finish, so im gonna be generous.

btw, someone mentioned dry oil. its pretty much just that the carrier evaporated and leaves the tiniest little amount of actual oil on the skin. its a nice effect but i would rather use a concentrated oil sparingly. ihave this wild argan dry oil from bodyshop and also the butter. they both work great but while the oil is almost finished, the butter which is kore intense is still pretty full. price is about the same

meteor
January 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM
its that http://www.sephora.com/divine-oil-P374502 let me now if any of the ingredients are bad for hair couse some of them I dont actually now what they are o.o
It looks really good, and light enough to be used as a leave-in shine serum on dry hair and a great skin oil, too, at least that's how I would probably use it, instead of an oil rinse. Also, judging by its ingredients, it can probably be distributed on hair pretty well without any help of hot water.
Whereas oil rinse method is useful for natural oils that are hard to distribute evenly: the hot water and steam really help.

That's exactly why I haven't done oil rinses in a long while. I found that adding oil to conditioner gives almost identical results anyway. So either I have to introduce an extra step (oil rinse) or I have to introduce an extra jar (where I mix conditioner and oil(s)). Either way works very well, and either way can lead to over-oiling, of course. ;)

DreamSheep
January 28th, 2015, 03:33 PM
So I decided to try this method. Was shampooing and lapushka's avatar came like an apparation into my head and I thought "I shall brave the cold and try that method".

Anyway, so what I have done is:

Wash scalp with Aussie shampoo with some boots conditioner on length.

Johnson Mineral Oiled, added Herbal Essences hairmask and conditioner. Washed it all out.
Now it is all drying.

Usually I apply some Nightblooming Panacea or a bit of oil of sorts afterwards just to keep the moisture in, but for the sake of this experiment I'm not sure whether to not do this, or do it anyway?
I also haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure if I'm trying to avoid dry hair or obtain better waves. But either way, I'll report results. :) Suggestions on whether to oil or not damp hair are welcome as my hair sloooooooooowly dries

meteor
January 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Usually I apply some Nightblooming Panacea or a bit of oil of sorts afterwards just to keep the moisture in, but for the sake of this experiment I'm not sure whether to not do this, or do it anyway?
I also haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure if I'm trying to avoid dry hair or obtain better waves. But either way, I'll report results. :) Suggestions on whether to oil or not damp hair are welcome as my hair sloooooooooowly dries

How great! :applause I was going to mention on the No Trimming Challenge thread that oil rinses might work well for you, if the splits concerns are due to dryness. If you are wearing hair up all the time, then yes, I'd add a drop or two of oil to the ends as the hair is drying. If not, and you are worried about the potential greasies, you can always wait till the hair is dry and judge at that point whether to add Panacea or oils.

Oh, and hair dries more slowly when it's more saturated with oil and other conditioning agents with occlusive action. ;)

Best of luck, DreamSheep! :D And let us know how it works! :cheer:

DreamSheep
January 28th, 2015, 04:24 PM
How great! :applause I was going to mention on the No Trimming Challenge thread that oil rinses might work well for you, if the splits concerns are due to dryness. If you are wearing hair up all the time, then yes, I'd add a drop or two of oil to the ends as the hair is drying. If not, and you are worried about the potential greasies, you can always wait till the hair is dry and judge at that point whether to add Panacea or oils.

Oh, and hair dries more slowly when it's more saturated with oil and other conditioning agents with occlusive action. ;)

Thanks meteor! :)

I did notice that my hair used to dry super quickly which I thought was odd - but now I use oil treatments a lot more my hair does take much longer to do so, and I notice the ends seems moist and supple for 1-3 days longer than they would otherwise (I wash every 7-14 days).

I'll probably add a smidge of oil to the ends and Panacea as per usual then ^^ And I'll report on any differences I notice regarding the oil rinse.
Thanks for all of your valuable advice!

lapushka
January 28th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Yes, good luck & let us know how it went!!!

DreamSheep
January 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM
2 hours in and thought I'd let you know my hair is still damp and in a towel. Usually by this stage my scalp hair is no longer moist and is dry, and I can let it air dry.
Currently, it looks semi dry but feels moist. Hopefully I didn't overdo the oil and this is just the moisture being locked in. Other thing I wonder is, can this method cause "hygral fatigue" - have read about that here and there on the forum, about water causing the hairshaft to swell and possibly weakening it.

DreamSheep
January 29th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Results:

It took aaaaages to fully dry but it is now dry. My hair dried out a little bit stringy (this will go if I brush), but not as stringy as once when I used way to much coconut oil. My hair is basically 2b right now, and has shrunk from BCL to high hip. :p Or from just beneath belly button to just below boob length
Back
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2011.41.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2011.41.jpg.html)
Front (cousin Itting)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2011.40%202.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2011.40%202.jpg.html)
It always looks wavier in person for some reason:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2012.37.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2029-1-15%20a%20las%2012.37.jpg.html)

Anyway, so far I like it other than the long drying time.

lapushka
January 29th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Maybe try less oil next time, DreamSheep! I'm still going to try this after shampoo this coming Sunday, but I'm only going to use a few drops of MO. That normally shouldn't mess with drying time. I think. I love your waves and think it looks darn good!

Eraisuithiel
January 29th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I'll have to try this for sure! I've been doing the pre-wash oil for forever, but this seems like it would nurture the hair even more.

DreamSheep
January 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks lapushka - to be fair, I woke up with it pretty much dry (but didn't exactly wake up early), and I find overnight it can take longer to dry than if I'm walking about, so that could be a factor.

May brush later, but I quite like how it turned out. My ends were quite spirally, very 2b maybe almost 2c, but now they've been bunned that has probably gone now. :p

gwenalyn
January 29th, 2015, 03:56 PM
DreamSheep, your hair is so pretty!

CurlyCap
January 29th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Regarding drying times:

I do oil rinses (?...oil applications on soaking wet hair, then rinsed) pretty frequently. I don't like them because I do them in the shower, but it's a cure for what ails me if the weather is drying out my hair. Keep in mind that I usually have to follow this with quite the regimen of leave-ins.

Long drying times are so normal...and so worth it.

Of course, I don't know much about straight or wavy hair, but I'd say stick with it if you can. Let it drop in a bonnet from damp and see what happens.

If it makes you feel like crazy, the super curlies apply butters to soaking wet hair. :D That takes DAYS to dry....and is also worth it!

DreamSheep
January 30th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Just curious - but can long drying times be bad for the hair? After all, too much water would been the hairshaft is swollen?
This is something I've read as a con for henna - but then, I guess drying hair shouldn't be quite so saturated, but there is some oil acting as a barrier.
Any thoughts on this?

And thanks gwenalyn - that is so sweet of you to say <3
Day 2 and my hair is bouncy and feels very nice, but this is also common after washing my hair, so I don't know if the oil has helped with this or not. I think its behaviour on day 4/5 will be able to discern whether this creates any differences for me. :)

Photos because yes (these are supposed to be the thumbnail version, does not appear to be pasting as such... )
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.03%205.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.03%205.jpg.html)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.02.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.02.jpg.html)

Beborani
January 30th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I grew up in a world without conditioner and shower stream so we (I don't think I liked it but many others did) often added a drop or two of oil (usually coconut) to the last mug of water and poured over the head and hair. Dispersing oil in the water helped to spread it better.

Catatafish
January 30th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Lovely! How do you get so much volume at your roots?

lapushka
January 30th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Just curious - but can long drying times be bad for the hair? After all, too much water would been the hairshaft is swollen?
This is something I've read as a con for henna - but then, I guess drying hair shouldn't be quite so saturated, but there is some oil acting as a barrier.
Any thoughts on this?

I think it depends at how much drying time we're talking about. If this were true, everyone would have to bust out the blowdryer quite fast, I think, but I guess walking around 3 days with your hair wet - who does that?

DreamSheep
January 30th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Lovely! How do you get so much volume at your roots?

Thanks! :)
I'm not sure - it just does that! Side parting helps, or having no part at all - a centre part does make it lie flatter.
I often brush my hair forwards (bent at waist), so when I flip my hair back it does gain a lot of volume that way. :)

Nadine <3
January 30th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Out of curiosity I tried this with my last wash. Even though I used only 4 drops of grapeseed oil (lightest oil I have) my hair came out very stringy and I had to stick it into a bun until next wash...I'll count it as a long oil soak and go back to what worked lol

meteor
January 30th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Such gorgeous, stunning hair you've got, DreamSheep! :thudpile:

I think you know that the oil rinse experiment works well if you get no visible oiliness, just soft, substantial-feeling hair that's easy to brush, style and manage.

Other thing I wonder is, can this method cause "hygral fatigue" - have read about that here and there on the forum, about water causing the hairshaft to swell and possibly weakening it.

Oil doesn't cause hygral fatigue, but water does. So if you worry about "sealing" the hair with oils too much and about "water-logging" your hair, just try to aerate, fan your hair or blow-dry on cool setting. Avoid wet-bunning or otherwise containing wet hair, if you want to dry it fast.
Personally, I do leave my hair damp-bunned for a day (if I have no time to dry it) and it's still wet when I take it down in the evening and even next day. I just try not to do this too frequently, because hair is at its weakest when wet.

Any thoughts on this?

This is a great question, and there is an interesting study on this: Hair shaft damage from heat and drying time of hair dryer by Lee et. al. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22148012
In that study, internal part of hair - called cell membrane complex (CMC) - was damaged only in the naturally dried group without hair dryer, while blow-drying damaged the cuticle somewhat. We don't know how or why exactly the CMC was damaged (that was not the point of the study) but it's possible that it was due to the extended drying time.

Another study showed that coconut oil protected hair somewhat from hygral fatigue: which is good news for those of us who use oils and notice that oiled hair takes much longer to dry:
Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: relevance to hair damage - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11413497

lapushka
January 30th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Out of curiosity I tried this with my last wash. Even though I used only 4 drops of grapeseed oil (lightest oil I have) my hair came out very stringy and I had to stick it into a bun until next wash...I'll count it as a long oil soak and go back to what worked lol

Interesting. 4 drops of a natural oil and it came out stringy? Hmm. I'm planning on using 2 drops of MO. We'll see what happens, but I'm a bit nervous now. :lol:

Nadine <3
January 30th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Interesting. 4 drops of a natural oil and it came out stringy? Hmm. I'm planning on using 2 drops of MO. We'll see what happens, but I'm a bit nervous now. :lol:

Yes, keep in mind though, I have very very fine hair and my pony tail compresses down to an inch! Very thin and fine, so it's ridiculously easy to overload my hair, even though my hair does seem to be on the more porous side...overloads easily but soaks in nicely.

DreamSheep
January 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Mine pooled in the small of the palm of my hand if that helps (so probably well over 6 drops) - I think you're thicky like me so it may be OK. I did use a lot of conditioner though, so I'm hoping that aided in getting most of it out.

And thanks meteor for the awesome clarification and all of the research. :)
So far my hair has been a breeze to brush (less so to contain, but that is always the case the first 2-3 days). Greasies slowly start emerging on day 4-5, so I shall monitor and keep the thread updated on whether there is any change :)

DreamSheep
January 31st, 2015, 06:50 AM
Day 3 - end of braid tassel is slightly crunchy - everything else is fine.
Hair was a bit of a monster to tame today, but it felt amazing so I'm going to say that's a good thing, and hopefully with an extra couple of inches I can wrap it round itself better, and contain it better

lapushka
January 31st, 2015, 07:44 AM
Mine pooled in the small of the palm of my hand if that helps (so probably well over 6 drops) - I think you're thicky like me so it may be OK. I did use a lot of conditioner though, so I'm hoping that aided in getting most of it out.

Yes, I am iii and do use a lot of conditioner, so... maybe it'll be okay. :D I hope so. Tomorrow we'll see!

Ambrielle
January 31st, 2015, 09:04 AM
Any thoughts on this?

And thanks gwenalyn - that is so sweet of you to say <3
Day 2 and my hair is bouncy and feels very nice, but this is also common after washing my hair, so I don't know if the oil has helped with this or not. I think its behaviour on day 4/5 will be able to discern whether this creates any differences for me. :)

Photos because yes (these are supposed to be the thumbnail version, does not appear to be pasting as such... )
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.03%205.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.03%205.jpg.html)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.02.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%2030-1-15%20a%20las%2015.02.jpg.html)

what a gorgeous mane you have Dreamsheep! Both your hair and facial features remind me of a friend back home, the similarities are uncanny! :D

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 05:11 AM
My hair has just been LOC'd / styled. 6 drops of MO were used in between shampoo & conditioners (I use 2/WCC method). I see not one bit of difference yet, not in the detangling - nothing. But hair is drying now. Might be different when dry. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. If there's no difference, I don't see any reason in continuing this, though...

Might work better for others. I'm not going to mess with other oils, etc. MO was the one and only option for me.

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 07:14 AM
Hair is dry now, and I notice *no* difference, so 6 drops of MO made no difference, and since it's an extra step... I'm going to nix this method for me. I don't want to try a "natural" oil. Only MO for me. So...

Hope this works better for someone else.

YMMV is a motto that is *so* true! I'm really sad this didn't work out, but hey, what can you do. :shrug:

Wildcat Diva
February 1st, 2015, 08:12 AM
I tried the mineral oil as a rinse out but didn't CO after, just did three minutes of gentle rinsing with my miracle water mix. I wasn't pleased. It looks dry/greasy but maybe that is not fair since I also this wash added some kelp water to my conditioner which curdled and clumped in an epic fail, which I though would just be ok, so I added to my hair anyway like some masochist. Smart. Mermaid barf chunks all in my hair that were almost impossible to get out without tons of more CO prior to this whole oil rinse out thing. Gah!

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM
I tried the mineral oil as a rinse out but didn't CO after, just did three minutes of gentle rinsing with my miracle water mix. I wasn't pleased. It looks dry/greasy but maybe that is not fair since I also this wash added some kelp water to my conditioner which curdled and clumped in an epic fail, which I though would just be ok, so I added to my hair anyway like some masochist. Smart. Mermaid barf chunks all in my hair that were almost impossible to get out without tons of more CO prior to this whole oil rinse out thing. Gah!

How much MO did you use, and yes, 2 experiments in one go isn't the best.

DreamSheep
February 1st, 2015, 02:33 PM
Ah, I'm sorry you two haven't had great results!
I definitely would've thought Conditioner would be a good shout at getting the oil out.
lapushka - maybe see how your hair behaves through the week? Today is day 4, which is usually the point where my hair starts being less 'nice', but today it is - despite quite a bit of rough handling and being worn down (Ok, there are some splits, but no tangles!! And hair feels great still!).

For me, I'll wait till next wash, but honestly, it takes 10 seconds more for me (and I need to use up a ton of MO), and I've had no bad results, so I'll probably stick to this. :)

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 02:40 PM
lapushka - maybe see how your hair behaves through the week? Today is day 4, which is usually the point where my hair starts being less 'nice', but today it is - despite quite a bit of rough handling and being worn down (Ok, there are some splits, but no tangles!! And hair feels great still!).

For me, I'll wait till next wash, but honestly, it takes 10 seconds more for me (and I need to use up a ton of MO), and I've had no bad results, so I'll probably stick to this. :)

I'm glad you're having better results! I will watch my hair for the week, actually that's a *great* idea, thank you! It might get softer than normal or something. I'll see if there's a difference when my updo (LWB) goes in tomorrow.

DreamSheep
February 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM
I'm glad you're having better results! I will watch my hair for the week, actually that's a *great* idea, thank you! It might get softer than normal or something. I'll see if there's a difference when my updo (LWB) goes in tomorrow.

Yeah, keep us posted! :)
I always find hair is quite nice from Day 2 to Day 4, but if anything can make it more manageable at the start, and even nicer for the last few days (because it makes stretching washes easier, and I feel better about my hair the last few days :p), then that is what I'd consider an improvement to my current method.
Still, I also wonder if its effectiveness could be seasonal, or dependent on whether one goes outside a lot or not - maybe in some conditions it may make little difference, but perhaps to exposure to harsher, drier elements, it may protect more. Anyway, here I am simply hypothesising and thinking out loud.
I'll keep everyone posted.

lapushka
February 1st, 2015, 03:21 PM
You very well might be onto something, DreamSheep! It might make it nicer throughout the week, keeping the ends more moisturized (moisture locked in). Hmmm... my LOC method did quite nice at that already, but it might be interesting to see. I will keep you guys posted.

DreamSheep
February 2nd, 2015, 07:03 AM
Day 5

My ends are actually quite un-crunchy! The last two inches do crunch a little, but it is barely imperceptible. Makes a change! This could also be because I haven't used coconut oil, or much oil at all, as my hair seemed to be conserving moisture quite well.
Roots are mildly greasy, which is normal for this day. Overall my hair still feels quite supple.

As you can see, there is some stringiness loose, but brushed back they are well disguised. So, if anything, this method will be having more effect on my ends.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.56.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.56.jpg.html)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.57.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.57.jpg.html)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.58.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.58.jpg.html)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.56%202.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Foto%20del%20dia%202-2-15%20a%20las%2013.56%202.jpg.html)

lapushka
February 2nd, 2015, 07:49 AM
DreamSheep, did you oil your scalp too? I didn't. Only oiled the ends. My scalp is too greasy for scalp-oil.

DreamSheep
February 2nd, 2015, 07:59 AM
I only applied it to the length. I'm pretty sure these greasies are my natural ones and not from using oil. :) They weren't there two days ago, they start to appear 5-7 days in.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM
I only applied it to the length. I'm pretty sure these greasies are my natural ones and not from using oil. :) They weren't there two days ago, they start to appear 5-7 days in.

Oooh, ok, sorry for the misunderstanding! :D

DreamSheep
February 4th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Ohk, I washed my hair today.
I could've gotten away with another day or two, but I was on a low tolerance of "dirtier" feeling hair today.

Overall, I think the difference I noticed with this method was minimal, but I will stick to it because:
- My hair was in quite good condition despite what I felt was poor treatment of my hair by my standards - so maybe without this poor treatment it would be doing even better
- I found myself relying less on having to oil my ends
- My ends consistently felt in better condition (moisturised vs dry) every day, even though by Day 7 they did feel dry and ready to wash - but they held up better during the week
- If I want to wash my hair, I can do so without "remembering" the day before to oil heavily, as I can just do this in the shower in less time
- My MO needs using

Also, I think my hair care, despite a few instances of poor treatment, is relatively good, so I wasn't expecting a magical "increase" in hair health, so the fact I noticed a bit of a difference and could relax a bit more during the week by just having some oil in during the shower is a plus for me.
I'll probably try it for the next few washes, see how it goes and whether I stick to it or revert to old ways, but so far, it appeals to me. :)

veryhairyfairy
February 4th, 2015, 08:14 AM
<snip>
- If I want to wash my hair, I can do so without "remembering" the day before to oil heavily, as I can just do this in the shower in less time
<snip>

This is a great point, and it's why I love adding oil to my conditioner! I forget to oil my hair before a wash all the fricken time, and then I feel kind of bad for my poor strands.

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 08:32 AM
I might try it again. I notice my ends are still soft, and by now, my ends start feeling kinda (kiiinda) rougher. Hmm. :hmm: Something to think about. I'm glad you told me to keep an eye on it for the rest of the week, DreamSheep! I'm on day 3 right now and have 4 more to go, well 3 more, day 4 (actually day 7) will be wash day.

lapushka
February 8th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Used 11 (yes 11) drops of MO for half my lengths, not just the very tips any more. It's air drying now, after LOC so we'll see what it does when it's dry. I'll get back to you in a couple hours.

Kina
February 8th, 2015, 06:06 AM
I tried it, it made de-tangling easier (always something I'm looking for). The first day I didn't like how my hair looked, oddly enough it was dryer feeling. But that's hard to tell right now with being inside all the time due to cold.

My scalp isn't very fond of it, felt itchier and as if I had more "stuff" on it, without my hair being weighed down or greasier? weird.

2nd day hair was awesome, did my usual night time routine, spray some water on the length, about a quarter size dollop of conditioner, 3-4 drops of almond oil and finally some gel, bun it on the top of my head for sleep. When I got up and let it down it looked fabulous, although the canopy was still a bit dry. Smoothed some more oil over that bit and went on about my day. I kept admiring my hair, lol. My curls and waves were much more defined.

I'm on day 5 and it still looks pretty good :). I'll fiddle with the routine to see if I can get the first day looking better, maybe increase the amount of leave in?

lapushka
February 8th, 2015, 08:27 AM
It's dry now after 11 drops of MO - looks good. Nice and soft. It feels a *bit* too lank IMO (usually it's "drier" feeling & fluffier), but we'll see what it does throughout the week. 11 drops might be a little too much. I think between 6 - 11 is my ideal number. Maybe 6 is enough.

Wildcat Diva
February 8th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Lapushka, are you using this rinse out out as your L and O in LOC? Or adding more oils later during LOC?

lapushka
February 8th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Lapushka, are you using this rinse out out as your L and O in LOC? Or adding more oils later during LOC?

No, the lot! Shampoo, rinse-out oil, conditioner, conditioner, and then LOC on top of that.

lapushka
February 9th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I'm really converted. DreamSheep told me last week to observe my hair during the week. It was nice the week through. This time I used 11 drops of MO and thought it might be too much. I would certainly not go more for TBL+ hair, somewhere between 6 - 11 drops is my ideal quantity. Yes, and I still condition twice and I still use the LOC method afterwards. It all works out perfectly fine. I *love* this! :inlove:

DreamSheep
February 9th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I'm really converted. DreamSheep told me last week to observe my hair during the week. It was nice the week through. This time I used 11 drops of MO and thought it might be too much. I would certainly not go more for TBL+ hair, somewhere between 6 - 11 drops is my ideal quantity. Yes, and I still condition twice and I still use the LOC method afterwards. It all works out perfectly fine. I *love* this! :inlove:
Yay!
So happy to read it is working for you :)

I will be sticking with this method too - thanks for finding and suggesting it lapushka!

KittyBird
February 9th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I've been trying this out for the last 3 washes, and it's alright. My hair is a bit softer than usual, but I'm not very impressed by this method. I mixed the oil with conditioner and a bit of water in a travel-sized bottle, because it seemed easier to apply it that way. I may keep doing this every now and then, as I have a bottle of oil I want to use up. :p

Sterlyn
February 10th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I tried this today and for a first try, I am really impressed.
What I did:
Whole head wash with hand held sprayer using sulfate shampoo (pantene), 4 drops of MO applied to length, I put a cap on it for a few minutes and let it sit. Then rinsed well and slathered on Ice Shine, full strength. Plastic cap back on to marinate a few more minutes. Hop in the shower, rinse well. Turby towel for a few minutes then coney serum (paul mitchell something). The only thing I forgot was my vinegar rinse I usually do. I didn't add any MO after the wash because I was afraid it might be too much, but usually I use 2 drops on damp hair, then coney serum. I'll continue to experiment to see what works.

When this dried, was kinda surprised, I don't always get waves like this in the summer but they are nonexistent in the dry, cold winter. Hair feels really soft and well moisturized. Pic below of hair, mostly dry;

http://http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/PostOilRinse_zpssx80ltt1.jpg (http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/PostOilRinse_zpssx80ltt1.jpg)

Will have to see how it fairs as the week goes on, I am hoping this will keep the length of my hair more moisturized, sometimes I wash midweek because my length gets dry, frizzy and just looks like it needs a drink. If I can avoid that and only do whole head wash once a week, with a scalp only wash all the rest of the week that will be great.

Thanks Lapushka for linking this, I had never heard of it before.

Sterlyn
February 11th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Ok update; on the positive my hair still feels like silk. On the negative, it is so slippery it is slithering out of just about everything, Elymwolds, sticks, forks and braids. I finally put it in a 4 prong jeterfork and that held reasonably well, but even that started to slide eventually.

Not exactly complaining, but LOL on a new learning curve. :?

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I know, it can take a bit of getting used to. :D But it looks wonderful! Maybe *the* time to learn different updos. ;)

Sterlyn
February 11th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Those hairtoys were coming out of my hair like they were on an greased slip-n-slide ;)

Yup I agree, time to try new things and maybe I'll just have to keep growing it to unreasonable lengths so I have more hair to wrap up and hold.

Nadine <3
February 12th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I experimented today because I was bored and I LOVE the results. I wanted to try doing this with coconut oil because I miss the way my hair came out after using it in the summer. I haven't been able to use it since it got cold outside because it solidifies in my hair, causes tangles, doesn't soak in at all and just makes a big ol mess. So I took a half cup of VO5 coconut and a half cup of coconut oil. Melt the oil, add in the conditioner and stir the heck out of it. Then I poured the mixture into a squeeze tube. I couldn't figure out how to dispense it in the shower since it's solid...I thought taking the jar with me into the shower would be annoying and kinda gross since I eat out of it to. Anyways, this way it's not so solid and I can just squeeze it out like a chunky paste lol

I shampoo'd my hair like normal, then I added about a nickle sized blob to my hair, focusing it on my ends and problem areas and I let it sit while I do other shower duties. Even though it's half conditioner I could definitely tell I was oiling my hair as my hands had a good coating of it on them! After it sat, I rinsed and used my Pantene aqua light and combed it through and rinsed.

I added a tiny drop of mineral oil when it was half dried and MAN...My hair is SOFT. Definitely love this method and I'm happy I get to use coconut oil again in the winter. Nothing makes my hair feel better!

I know I mixed mine with stuff so it isn't following the method exactly, but I wanted to share what worked for me :)

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I know I mixed mine with stuff so it isn't following the method exactly, but I wanted to share what worked for me :)

Well, I'm glad you shared your experience, Nadine! And who says you have to follow the method to a T. Not me. :D I'm glad it worked for you and that you got silky soft hair out of it. Yay. :cheer:

meteor
February 12th, 2015, 03:21 PM
So awesome, Nadine! :cheer: I'm so happy this worked for you! :D And of course, adding oil to conditioner is great! I find it gives practically the same results as an oil rinse anyway, and it cuts down on an extra step of the washing process and can save a bit of time.

On a side-note, I find it really cool how this method seems to work so well for quite a few people with F or F/M hair... Great that it's not a thing just for folks with coarse, curly and/or parched hair. :D Yay!

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 04:25 PM
On a side-note, I find it really cool how this method seems to work so well for quite a few people with F or F/M hair... Great that it's not a thing just for folks with coarse, curly and/or parched hair. :D Yay!

Yes, at first I thought it was going to be too heavy, even the few drops of MO. But no, it's nice, actually. It's day 4 here again, and my hair is still nicely moisturized at the ends. Loving it!

Nadine <3
February 13th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Well, I'm glad you shared your experience, Nadine! And who says you have to follow the method to a T. Not me. :D I'm glad it worked for you and that you got silky soft hair out of it. Yay. :cheer:
Very soft and slippery indeed! Today it's downright refusing to stay in my LWB! My stick slipped out at walmart and flew down the isle this morning...oopsies.

So awesome, Nadine! :cheer: I'm so happy this worked for you! :D And of course, adding oil to conditioner is great! I find it gives practically the same results as an oil rinse anyway, and it cuts down on an extra step of the washing process and can save a bit of time.

I usually like to use a cone free conditioner before my coney conditioner anyways so the time spend in the shower stays the same for me! I just found in far easier to squeeze the coconut/conditioner mix out of a tube instead of dealing with a solid tube on coconut oil in the shower.

I was really surprised this worked for my fine hair too, I thought for sure I was going to have a stringy mess but it dried so soft and lovely! Saves the hassle of needing to pre poo the night before and worrying about getting oil everywhere AND having the back of my neck brake out! This is like a triple score! :)

lapushka
February 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Very soft and slippery indeed! Today it's downright refusing to stay in my LWB! My stick slipped out at walmart and flew down the isle this morning...oopsies.

Way to make an entrance in the supermarket. ;) :lol: :thumbsup:

girlcat36
February 13th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I've used this method with sunflower oil…..I use quite a bit; a 1/4 cup or more. I shampoo, oil, rinse with hot water, then condition.
It works well on my babyfine, thin hair…..but I can't do it often or my hair ends up weighed down.

Sterlyn
February 13th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I've used this method with sunflower oil…..I use quite a bit; a 1/4 cup or more. I shampoo, oil, rinse with hot water, then condition.
It works well on my babyfine, thin hair…..but I can't do it often or my hair ends up weighed down.

I will keep that in mind the next time I wash, I was wondering if I could use more than 4 drops of MO. The answer to that is probably yes, if you can use a 1/4 of oil.:p

Off topic: it's good to see you again on the boards Girlcat :toast:

girlcat36
February 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Off topic: it's good to see you again on the boards Girlcat :toast:

Thank you :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I tried this when I washed my hair this morning, it isn't dry yet but so far is feeling good. Though my bottle of MO fell off the shelf in the shower and split wide open:(

I'm looking forward to dry hair to see the results.

lapushka
February 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I tried this when I washed my hair this morning, it isn't dry yet but so far is feeling good. Though my bottle of MO fell off the shelf in the shower and split wide open:(

Oh crud. It would be horrible if that happened to me. My MO has been poured into a tiny glass apothecary bottle with a dropper. If that were to slide into the sink, it probably would be in tiny pieces.

I'm anxious for your results!

Nadine <3
February 13th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Yikes! I put mine in an old oil leave in bottle with a pump top. I used to have it in a glass dropper bottle but it make me nervous in the shower.

That must have been terrible to clean up!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Luckily it was the neck of the bottle which split open, and the bottle was less than half full, so virtually none of it spilt. It's just that I can't close the bottle now. I have just bought several plastic eye dropper bottles, so will transfer it when they arrive.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Ok, my results: I love what it does to my hair! soft, sleek, shiny! It's about 95-98% dry now, see how it looks....!

(Too windy to have it loose). I shall certainly continue using this method of oiling, it is just the bees' knees! :happydance:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF8203_1.jpg

Nadine <3
February 13th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Ok, my results: I love what it does to my hair! soft, sleek, shiny! It's about 95-98% dry now, see how it looks....!

(Too windy to have it loose). I shall certainly continue using this method of oiling, it is just the bees' knees! :happydance:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF8203_1.jpg

Beautiful! So shiny!!

also...looks warm where you are. mind if I roll over there in my blanket burrito and join you for a bit? lol

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Beautiful! So shiny!!

also...looks warm where you are. mind if I roll over there in my blanket burrito and join you for a bit? lol

Thanks! Come on over and get a suntan or have a nice swim :)

lapushka
February 14th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Oh I'm glad you like it, Sarahlabyrinth! It looks really nice in its updo!

DreamSheep
February 14th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Beautiful SarahLabyrinth!!

Kina
February 14th, 2015, 06:56 AM
sooooooo,

first day, I did wash with shampoo, conditioner, oil, conditioner again. very nice results, about 4 days, then co, oil, co. ok results, very frizzy. then 3 days to try to get the frizzys under control, yesterday co, oil, co.

I have a halo. I'm not sure if it's new growth or breakage. Only thing I've done differently is try this.

Positive result, sheds come out way easier, easier to detangle.
Possible negative, I have a halo. If it's new growth, then it's not a negative, but I just dunno. I'm gonna go pluck a few and see if it's new or breakage (checking the ends for taper)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks, lapushka and DreamSheep. I love that the oiling can be done in the shower as part of the hair wash - it keeps all the fussing down to a minimum and gets it all done and dusted once a week. Also I think that oiling it while it is dripping wet gives much better and more even coverage than oiling it when merely damp.

meteor
February 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Thanks, lapushka and DreamSheep. I love that the oiling can be done in the shower as part of the hair wash - it keeps all the fussing down to a minimum and gets it all done and dusted once a week. Also I think that oiling it while it is dripping wet gives much better and more even coverage than oiling it when merely damp.

^ Absolutely! :agree: I think that I need to use less oil if I use it in the shower instead of pre-poo because the steam, hot water and conditioner help spread it out more evenly. And an oil rinse certainly seals moisture way better than pre-poo on dry hair (the latter is more for prevention of hygral fatigue and keratin loss due to washing).

And I'm another one in the thud-pile over how gorgeous your hair and your updo are, Sarahlabyrinth! :thudpile:

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks, meteor! It's all in the oiling, you know :p

Kina
February 14th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Sarah, your hair looks lovely :)

So, apparently I have new growth :shrug: I started taking a multi vitamin w/ biotin a few weeks ago, maybe that did it.

Sterlyn
February 14th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Sarah I can see the shine in the loops of your bun:)

Kina LOL new growth is good, but it is a big PIA until it gets long enough to lay down a bit.

2nd wash:
I just did a whole head wash, still puts me up to twice a week but I'm ok with that. Products used were Pantene shampoo, 6 drops of MO, rinse, then large amount of Ice shine, rinse, then Vinegar rinse, Pantene smoothing cream as a LI. 6 drops of MO should technically drown my fine, not terribly long hair, I've overdone it with 3 drops as a LI in the past. Something about the rinsing seems to make it work. The smoothing cream has dimethicone (not the water soluble kind) and that also didn't seem to be too much.

Results:

It took my hair forever to dry, 3 hours later and my length was still damp and I used the blow dryer on my scalp for longer than normal. Normally my hair dries to barely damp in an hour when I dry the scalp a bit. Aside from that, I still got the same great results. Apparently the requirement for me to have nicely moisturized hair in the winter is to slather the crap out of it with MO and a ton of cones. Last winter I tried many different natural oils and my hair just looked yellow, coated and sticky but still dry. Cones seem to cause the least amount of yellowing for me, with the max amount of moisturizing, I have officially become a conehead after years of avoiding them like the plague.

Not sure if this will be too heavy when summer comes, but for the moment I am in love with this method and my hair seems to feel the same.

wilderwein
February 14th, 2015, 02:56 PM
we should somehow list the oils and wich one works better etc through the members experiences and the way they used it

lapushka
February 14th, 2015, 03:08 PM
That's odd Sterlyn. I used 6 drops of MO for a first try and 11 for a second try, and didn't notice it dried slower. :hmm: I do double condition, though, so maybe that gets rid of some of the oil... could be it!

Sterlyn
February 14th, 2015, 03:14 PM
That's odd Sterlyn. I used 6 drops of MO for a first try and 11 for a second try, and didn't notice it dried slower. :hmm: I do double condition, though, so maybe that gets rid of some of the oil... could be it!

Could have than and the addition of a product with dimethicone, which I understand is a really heavy, easy to build up cone. Also I was busy doing things and I left the conditioner on for more than an hour and I used a lot more of it than I usually do. Any one of those could have helped it hold on to the water, or maybe they had nothing to do with it. I am ok with the longer drying time, if the trade off is the result. I only do a full head wash twice a week at most so it isn't a huge deal. Didn't someone up thread say that their hair took longer to dry? hmm will have to go look.

ETA: It was dreamsheep, maybe this is one of those quirky things that some of us will deal with but not others, but then my hair has always been a little odd :)

Sterlyn
February 14th, 2015, 03:26 PM

I didn't think about the conditioner helping to lift the oil, could very well be. I only conditioned once. Also if you think about the difference in the length and amount of hair between yours and mine, my hair might be nearly on MO/cone overload, whereas your hair might be able to take a lot before it gets to be too much.

lapushka
February 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I didn't think about the conditioner helping to lift the oil, could very well be. I only conditioned once. Also if you think about the difference in the length and amount of hair between yours and mine, my hair might be nearly on MO/cone overload, whereas your hair might be able to take a lot before it gets to be too much.

Yeah, the length probably also figures into it...

Kina
February 14th, 2015, 04:03 PM
:agree: new growth is awesome, just couldn't figure out what was going on aND WHY all of a sudden I had hair standing at right angles to my head and this was the most recent thing I had tried.

I put the oil on the lengths, only. I used almond oil. Are y'all applying from the ears down or scalp as well?

My hair took longer to dry. Maybe it's climate? I'm in the US northeast, very very dry indoors right now and outside is reminiscent of Demeter mourning her daughter... (we'very taken up a petition asking hades to let persephone visit already)

lapushka
February 14th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I put the oil on the lengths, only. I used almond oil. Are y'all applying from the ears down or scalp as well?

Lengths only. The first try (6 drops), only got applied to the very tippy tips. Then the next try (11 drops), we tried half the length. I have yet to go ears down fully, but I'm hesitant on that. I think half the length is good enough for me. The rest of the hair doesn't really need the added moisture (I have greasy hair).

meteor
February 14th, 2015, 04:13 PM
sooooooo,

first day, I did wash with shampoo, conditioner, oil, conditioner again. very nice results, about 4 days, then co, oil, co. ok results, very frizzy. then 3 days to try to get the frizzys under control, yesterday co, oil, co.

I have a halo. I'm not sure if it's new growth or breakage. Only thing I've done differently is try this.

Positive result, sheds come out way easier, easier to detangle.
Possible negative, I have a halo. If it's new growth, then it's not a negative, but I just dunno. I'm gonna go pluck a few and see if it's new or breakage (checking the ends for taper)

Kina, my immediate thought was that maybe you are experiencing a bit of build-up? I'd consider doing oil rinses only every few washes in this case... in order to replicate great results from your first try. :)

Sterlyn, I really think the slow drying time is likely due to the fact that your hair is well oiled and covered with a decent amount of other occlusives (dimethicone, in this case). Occlusives can definitely slow down evaporation of water, and some of us have drier, curlier or simply more hair than others so can take more oil than others. Whenever my hair takes forever to dry, I know it's coming to saturation point with oils and I condition/oil less. If I ignore the signs, my hair over time gets lank and coated, so I have to clarify.

we should somehow list the oils and wich one works better etc through the members experiences and the way they used it

I liked coconut oil, mineral oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil and sesame oil... I use about a palmful (not sure how many drops that would be :hmm:). And I'm sure there are lots of other oils that would work well. :)
Olive oil was over the top heavy for me: it took a while to wash out and made my hair greasy. I have to use olive oil in smaller amounts than lighter oils. It's more of a "treatment" oil for me, when my hair is super-parched.

wilderwein
February 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks meteor for your input, I'm intresting to try the sesame oil! I never tried it on anything so now i'm gonna search for it and buy some hahahaha

Sarahlabyrinth
February 14th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I used it mainly from ears down, with a small swipe over my scalp hair right at the end. I used MO. I didn't rinse it out, but applied undiluted conditioner over the top, allowed it to sit for a minute, then rinsed it out and followed it by my usual diluted vinegar rinse.

Nadine <3
February 14th, 2015, 10:43 PM
I think I have this worked into my routine, and so far I am very happy with it! I'm going to do an oil rinse every other wash when I use my Nizoral shampoo since that tends to leave my hair feeling a tad dry. I think if i did it at every wash my hair would get build up, but we'll see. I'm loving what it's doing for my hair, though my scalp seems to get greasier faster when I do it.

wilderwein
February 15th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Oh thank you guys you've been very helpfull with your experiences, I tried it too but I dont used a proper oil so it didnt showed any difference, any way I have one more question! For the last two months I tried to not see my lenght by having my hair always up and when washing it washing it with my hair upside down so it wont show the real length. But last time I washed my hair I washed it normaly like all people do and also oiled-conditioned normaly, and I feel that there was a change on how my hair feels afterwards. So what i'm trying to say is that probably washing and oil-conditioning in different position it will probably condition different parts of hair too mostly. But which one is the best? I'm not sure yet wich position benefits most of the length or at least the dryer parts =/

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Just used 10 drops of MO over almost all of the lengths (not quite). Let's see what that does. I still love this. Hair is in a towel now (until the clock of 1), then it'll get detangled and styled (LOC). Hoping for the best. :D

wilderwein, I don't think it matters how you wash, just that you need to make sure if you aren't a 3 or a 4 in texture that you do not oil your scalp.

lilelf
February 15th, 2015, 06:48 AM
So, after lurking on this thread for a bit, I jumped in hair first. Wow... Just wow. Did I say wow??? My hair is like buttah. I changed it up a bit, though. Here is what I did: after washing with my oil shampoo, I took a few drops of my rosemary and henna oil and smoothed through, then followed with my Shea Moisture condish to which I also added some oil. Seems like a lot of oil for a finey, But it was amazeballs!!! My hair usually feels crunchy on the ends the day after a wash, but not today!!! It feels juicy!! Thank you, OP, for starting this thread!!!

lilelf
February 15th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Sorry, I forgot to sy I used 4 drops of oil. Coffee still hasn't kicked in. Forgiveness?

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 06:58 AM
:lol: lilelf, I'm glad it feels like buttah! I was hesitant as a F as well, but this seems wonderful. And I know textures 3 and 4 can do this all over and in much more quantity than type 1 or 2s can, but... it's still a good method, however you use it! Actually, I don't know why we don't hear from textures 3 and 4 more.

Guys have you seen this thread? ;)

Sterlyn
February 15th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Sterlyn, I really think the slow drying time is likely due to the fact that your hair is well oiled and covered with a decent amount of other occlusives (dimethicone, in this case). Occlusives can definitely slow down evaporation of water, and some of us have drier, curlier or simply more hair than others so can take more oil than others. Whenever my hair takes forever to dry, I know it's coming to saturation point with oils and I condition/oil less. If I ignore the signs, my hair over time gets lank and coated, so I have to clarify.

Thank you for your input,:) I wondered the same thing, the first time I used this method I don't remember my hair didn't taking extra time to dry. Also it probably didn't need to sit on my hair an hour as it did this last time, a few minutes is probably plenty. I will have to be careful with the dimethicone, even though I like what it does for my hair in the winter I think I'll keep it to once a week use, to see how my hair responds. I've been using MO, although never that much at once, all winter and haven't had any trouble with build up yet, hopefully that will stay that way because it really works well for me.

Also as to the question of where/how far up we are applying the oil, I use a hand held sprayer with my hair flipped forward leaning over the tub (with the rest of me staying dry). I can apply the oil/conditioner to my most of my hair and fairly high up on my head without worrying about it getting on my scalp. Usually when I do the final rinse in the shower I keep my hair the same way (head down, hair forward) to avoid tangling. I find it easier to do the first steps without being in the shower, makes for shorter showers and it made it more convenient to let whatever conditioning treatment was on my hair sit for a bit. I have also found that all those conditioners/oils/cones can cause break outs on my back, so I try to keep them away from that area whenever possible.

ETA: hand held sprayer is used to wet and rinse my hair, not apply the conditioner or oil; I realized after I reread it that it wasn't very clear.

Sterlyn
February 15th, 2015, 07:13 AM
So, after lurking on this thread for a bit, I jumped in hair first. Wow... Just wow. Did I say wow??? My hair is like buttah. I changed it up a bit, though. Here is what I did: after washing with my oil shampoo, I took a few drops of my rosemary and henna oil and smoothed through, then followed with my Shea Moisture condish to which I also added some oil. Seems like a lot of oil for a finey, But it was amazeballs!!! My hair usually feels crunchy on the ends the day after a wash, but not today!!! It feels juicy!! Thank you, OP, for starting this thread!!!

It is kind of amazing isn't it? The first time I tried it I was thinking "this is way too much MO with a coney condish, I'm going to look like an oil slick and probably have to wash my hair again" but I was willing to try just about anything to get rid of the winter dry frizzies I've had since Dec. Was very pleasantly surprised how nice my hair looked or "amazeballs" as you put it :p

lilelf
February 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM
It is kind of amazing isn't it? The first time I tried it I was thinking "this is way too much MO with a coney condish, I'm going to look like an oil slick and probably have to wash my hair again" but I was willing to try just about anything to get rid of the winter dry frizzies I've had since Dec. Was very pleasantly surprised how nice my hair looked or "amazeballs" as you put it :p

It really is. This is the best my hair has felt in a very long while. I just tried a new experiment, actually. I have no MO, but I DID have - HUGE tub of Palmer's Olive Oil pomadey stuff I really need to use up ( a gift from a friend) So, I wet my hair, took about a fingernail-sized scraping of said pomade, rubbed hands together and smoothed over hair (especially ends), then followed with the same Shea Moisture condish with extra oil as before. I am sitting in my "hair-tubey fabricy thingy" waiting for dryness. I will let you all know how it comes out. If this works, it could perhaps be a whole new way to use up those waxy, MO pomades I am sure so many of us have in our arsenal that are just too heavy to use "As Instructed". *strands crossed*

lilelf
February 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
:lol: lilelf, I'm glad it feels like buttah! I was hesitant as a F as well, but this seems wonderful. And I know textures 3 and 4 can do this all over and in much more quantity than type 1 or 2s can, but... it's still a good method, however you use it! Actually, I don't know why we don't hear from textures 3 and 4 more.

All thanks go to you, Lapushka!!! If you hadn't posted this thread, I am sure many of us would never have thought to even try this and thus, have such great experiences!!! THANK YOU!!!

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 09:02 AM
All thanks go to you, Lapushka!!! If you hadn't posted this thread, I am sure many of us would never have thought to even try this and thus, have such great experiences!!! THANK YOU!!!

Aw you're so sweet, thanks so much! :flower:

meteor
February 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM

So awesome! :happydance:
I'm really intrigued about that rosemary and henna oil! Is it rosemary&henna-infused oil of some sort? :)

Also as to the question of where/how far up we are applying the oil, I use a hand held sprayer with my hair flipped forward leaning over the tub (with the rest of me staying dry). I can apply the oil/conditioner to my most of my hair and fairly high up on my head without worrying about it getting on my scalp. Usually when I do the final rinse in the shower I keep my hair the same way (head down, hair forward) to avoid tangling. I find it easier to do the first steps without being in the shower, makes for shorter showers and it made it more convenient to let whatever conditioning treatment was on my hair sit for a bit. I have also found that all those conditioners/oils/cones can cause break outs on my back, so I try to keep them away from that area whenever possible.

I apply from about shoulders down, but I'm not precise about it, I eyeball it.

Vanilla
February 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I tried this rinse out oil technique today in the shower. I used about 10 drops of mineral oil on my hair, let it sit for about 30 seconds, and then put my conditioner on top. I rinsed both out and followed up with my usual LOC technique. My hair is in the process of drying currently, I'm curious how it will turn out!

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM
10 drops seems to be my ideal number of drops. I first tried 6, then 11, and now 10 (and I was tempted to use more, since seeing it it's such a tiny tiny amount). But it's enough!

Kina
February 15th, 2015, 11:41 AM

I do have to say that my hair has been curlier. My canopy is 2c, underlayer is 3a, with this, it's been more 3a canopy, 3b underlayer. I'm wondering how it would work on someone with a really strong curl pattern as well. Maybe I can talk one of my sisters into it.

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 01:12 PM
You can try, Kina. Is she generally up to experimenting? :D

Nadine <3
February 15th, 2015, 01:42 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8634/16353910020_5d1fecda63.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qV94FS)002 (https://flic.kr/p/qV94FS) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Here's my hair right before it went into a bun for the day! After it dried it was actually slightly dried out. It looks a bit stringy because I had to add 2 drops of olive oil to it, so I could probably use more of my conditioner/oil mix when I wash....amazing because everything else in the shower was slick from it, I thought for sure I was going to have stringy hair! No worries though, by the time I take my bun down, that olive oil will be soaked up and long gone. My hair is way less tangly than it was and soooo soft. My hair is loving the coconut oil!

I was taking a measuring picture as well, I don't usually just walk around with lines on my shirts lol

Kina
February 15th, 2015, 01:46 PM
You can try, Kina. Is she generally up to experimenting? :D

Depends on how I present it to her. :)

lapushka
February 15th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I was taking a measuring picture as well, I don't usually just walk around with lines on my shirts lol

:lol: It looks great! :D

Nadine <3
February 15th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I do have to say that my hair has been curlier. My canopy is 2c, underlayer is 3a, with this, it's been more 3a canopy, 3b underlayer. I'm wondering how it would work on someone with a really strong curl pattern as well. Maybe I can talk one of my sisters into it.

It's funny you say your hair is curlier, because I comb my waves out...and I was just noticing how much easier they comb straight with minimal frizzies!

:lol: It looks great! :D

Thank you! :)

Kina
February 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM
It's funny you say your hair is curlier, because I comb my waves out...and I was just noticing how much easier they comb straight with minimal frizzies!

Thank you! :)

I typically only comb my hair in the shower, with it soaking wet with conditioner on. Anything else is sheer misery. One of the reason that I'm liking this is that the sheds are coming out easier, which means they aren't tangling in my curls. It is way less tangled, which is why I'll keep experimenting with it until I figure out what works for me :)

MagicalMystery
February 15th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Might try this with jojoba, or coconut.... or maybe even cocoveda oil from Henna Sooq!

MagicalMystery
February 15th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I typically only comb my hair in the shower, with it soaking wet with conditioner on. Anything else is sheer misery.

Me too!!!!

What type of curls do you have, Kina? What oil do you use? The winter is drying out my hair and I've got a major tangle problem. I was told to try this method.

Vanilla
February 15th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I tried this rinse out oil technique today in the shower. I used about 10 drops of mineral oil on my hair, let it sit for about 30 seconds, and then put my conditioner on top. I rinsed both out and followed up with my usual LOC technique. My hair is in the process of drying currently, I'm curious how it will turn out!

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this technique. My hair dried and though it feels soft, it's also very stringy. I do know that my hair tends to drink in oil and it will look ok by tomorrow.

Kina
February 15th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Me too!!!!

What type of curls do you have, Kina? What oil do you use? The winter is drying out my hair and I've got a major tangle problem. I was told to try this method.

Well, my hair is a mix of 2c/3a, canopy is wavy, under layer is ringleted (is that a word?). My hair isn't a big fan of protein, so I use almond oil. Coconut oil make it angry and tangly, so I stick to a weekly application of a Shea butter, silk protein mix, the rest of the time, it's almond oil.

DreamSheep
February 16th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I washed just my upper layer of my hair with this method again (I've been doing it since lapushka proposed it, really loving this method) - as I had some hairchalk on the upper layer for a party (and then someone spilt their drink down it :mad:), and got some super waves I've never seen on my top layer! :)

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Ooh, that's exciting, DreamSheep! :)

lilelf
February 16th, 2015, 08:42 AM
So awesome! :happydance:
I'm really intrigued about that rosemary and henna oil! Is it rosemary&henna-infused oil of some sort? :)

I apply from about shoulders down, but I'm not precise about it, I eyeball it.
It is infused, it is made by Khadi. I actually ordered a different one, but this is what they sent me. Being obsessed with oilings....I just COULDN'T send it back. Lol. It would have been torture to wait another month, as it is sent from India. A few plusses: it is all natural AND no soy oil. Hooray!!! If I can find the link, will post it for you. :)

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 09:01 AM
It is infused, it is made by Khadi. I actually ordered a different one, but this is what they sent me. Being obsessed with oilings....I just COULDN'T send it back. Lol. It would have been torture to wait another month, as it is sent from India. A few plusses: it is all natural AND no soy oil. Hooray!!! If I can find the link, will post it for you. :)

I just read up about it. Its base is almond oil - can't be bad. :)

lilelf
February 16th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I just read up about it. Its base is almond oil - can't be bad. :)
I read that too, but then I got it, and the ingredients seem different. Still all natural though. Here are the ingredients from my bottle: Henna, Rosemary, Neem, Shikakai, Bhringraj, Amla, Brahmi, Jal Brahmi, Neelkamal, Arnica, Yashti-Madhu, Cocos Nucifera (Narikela), Sesame Oil, Olive Oil, and Sunflower Oil.
I gave the common names to make it easier, rather then the Latin.
I was actually excited about the almond oil base, but the texture of this is super nice, even without it.

lapushka
February 16th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Hmm, that's not almond oil at all, is it?

lilelf
February 17th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hmm, that's not almond oil at all, is it?
No. :( I think what they did was just write one description and then copy nd pasted, or changed their formula without updateing their site. It is still a great oil though. I love the texture. :)

lapushka
February 17th, 2015, 01:47 PM
It is still a great oil though. I love the texture. :)

I'm glad you still like it! :)

lilelf
February 17th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I'm glad you still like it! :)

I REALLY do. It actually has a luxurious feel, if that makes any sense. Not thin, but not too heavy. I wish I had bought a whole bunch. Next time, I am going to get the 18 oils I actually ordered this time, as my hair is blonde and I don't want it to darken. Oh, and to me it smells kind of like inscense.

So, I did the oil rinse again today. Oil shampoo ( baby shampoo mixed with my beloved rosemary henna oil- same as last time), 6-10 drops same oil, followed by Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter conditioner also mixed with my beloved oil and JBCO. Surprisingly, my hair feels a little dry. I am convinced this is due to the baby shampoo mix. I had been using poo bars/acv or Dco B mixed with coconut or beloved oil/acv, but decided to try something new, as I had all these little bittles of Johnson's from when Mr. gushberg was born. Looks like the Johnson's is a no go for me, except maybe as a deep cleanse. Back to poo bars/ Doc B for me!!!

Nadine <3
February 17th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Today I washed and used twice the amount of my oil mixture that I did last time. Still not stringy, just fantastically soft and smooth! Amazing.

DreamSheep
February 18th, 2015, 05:26 AM
I'm loving this method, so much :)

lapushka
February 18th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I'm just overjoyed this is working for other people as well. I'm convinced by now, after my third try. It keeps the ends soft and smooth the rest of the week, while they sometimes went a little too dry even for my taste (and I can stand a little dryness). :)

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 08:15 AM
My fourth attempt, I think. Yes. 10 drops after shampoo, rubbed over palms then spread throughout the entire length, then rinsed. It takes more like 15 minutes instead of 10/12 to get my hair washed, but it's worth it with how it feels moisturized throughout the rest of the week.

wilderwein
February 22nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
Ok this week I'm gonna clarify my hair first, since I have many months to do it and I'm using a bunch of oils and products, and then use the rinse out oil method

MagicalMystery
February 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
I started using coconut oil between co-washings in the shower, and it really helps, especially with avoiding tangles.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
Good luck, wilderwein! :)

I'm glad it helps, MM! :)

Sterlyn
February 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Checking back in, I think this is my 3rd time doing this. I used the same technique: Sulfate wash, rinse, 6 drops MO, rinse, then coney condish, rinse and final vinegar rinse. I did add the pantene leave in to the conditioner so that it was rinsed out, instead of being used as a LI. The drying time was much less and hair still seems really happy. I did a rinse, condition and vinegar rinse mid week and my ends bounced back fairly well. This is a really great routine for my hair in the winter, hands down it's made my length the happiest for the longest amount of time.

Seems like many of us are having decent results with this as well:).

lapushka
February 22nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Seems like many of us are having decent results with this as well:).

Yeah, for 1/2 textures the key is not using too too much oil. 3/4 textures can withstand a bit more.

wilderwein
February 23rd, 2015, 10:53 AM
I clarified, used a mix with olive oil and conditioner, rinsed, then only conditioner, and boy my hair is so silkyy! The last times It was leaving a greassy feeling, but I guess I just needed to clarify first

Nadine <3
February 23rd, 2015, 10:56 AM
Still using and LOVING this method. Nothing new to report, other than this is the best method ever. Heading out for a run soon, and then washing and I'm so excited haha

lapushka
February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 AM
:D I was very skeptical at first, and didn't think it did much, not at first sight anyway, but over the course of the week my ends remain so moisturized (where otherwise they'd go a little dry)... so yeah, color me convinced. :lol: Fully convinced. :D

Nadine <3
February 23rd, 2015, 01:25 PM
I put to much coconut oil in my hair on purpose. I'm just going to braid and bun it till my next wash anyways might as well have it sitting in something good for it...right? lol

lapushka
February 23rd, 2015, 01:55 PM
I put to much coconut oil in my hair on purpose. I'm just going to braid and bun it till my next wash anyways might as well have it sitting in something good for it...right? lol

There's that. :D You could always over-oil! :lol: Why ever not? I mean...

Nadine <3
February 23rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
There's that. :D You could always over-oil! :lol: Why ever not? I mean...

Smoothest braid I have ever made...:cool:

lapushka
February 23rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Smoothest braid I have ever made...:cool:

Woohooo! :cheer:

lilelf
February 24th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Still loving this!!! Just bought a small bottle of baby oil to try. Will update. :)

DreamSheep
February 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Still loving this method!
I have had a few splits (although this is unsurprising given the activities I have been doing!), but my hair always feels moisturised for so much longer, that I get 6 good hair days a week, and then wash day. :)
(Before it was 3-5 good hair days, and then 1-3 bad bad bad hair days)

lapushka
February 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Still loving this!!! Just bought a small bottle of baby oil to try. Will update. :)

Let us know how you get on with this? :)

Still loving this method!
I have had a few splits (although this is unsurprising given the activities I have been doing!), but my hair always feels moisturised for so much longer, that I get 6 good hair days a week, and then wash day. :)
(Before it was 3-5 good hair days, and then 1-3 bad bad bad hair days)

Yes, same for me. Though at first it was not that noticeable, as my hair is bunned every day, then I started paying close attention to the ends, and they do stay moisturized for much longer! Yay! :D

lilelf
February 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Let us know how you get on with this? :)

Yes, same for me. Though at first it was not that noticeable, as my hair is bunned every day, then I started paying close attention to the ends, and they do stay moisturized for much longer! Yay! :D
I most definitely will, though today I have a mayo mask marinating till I wash, so it may alter the effects a bit. But, it will be an experiment, as I plan on cowashing out the mayo. Depending on how my hair feels, I may just add the Baby oil and a final condish. Oooooh, how ai love hair experiments!!! :D

Nadine <3
February 24th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I failed at over oiling guys. I pulled my braid out this morning and it was soft...but not oily. Drat.

Sterlyn
February 24th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I failed at over oiling guys. I pulled my braid out this morning and it was soft...but not oily. Drat.

LOL only on this forum does that make sense :rollin:

lapushka
February 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM
LOL only on this forum does that make sense :rollin:

I was just about thinking the same thing! :D :lol:

MsVenus
February 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I have been adding a spoon or 2 to a whole bottle of conditioner from time to time for the last 2 years. It helps a lot for me because some commercial conditioners often lack a bit of something extra my hair needs. I used to use olive oil for that. Now I use grapeseed oil some times. It does the job of helping to make the hair feel a bit better. I don't use shampoo usually any more so I don't do it with a W C oil C method. I just add a bit of oil to the bottle of conditioner and makes it easier for me.

I am not concerned about having my hair fluffy usually because I usually do not wear it out these days. I am just concerned about retaining length, so I also leave in a different conditioner after I co wash. I air dry with conditioner in the hair. That buffer helps to protect my fragile ends also. I am not sure how fluffy it would look for wearing the hair out because I do not do that usually. I just put it up to protect it 99% of the time.

arelrios
February 24th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I am trying this method in my next wash... perhaps is what I need to avoid the cut of the last 4 inches of my hair.... ;) .... I will clarify first and then will try it...

So, this is how is done?

1) Wash (any method)
2) Apply oil (any oil)
3) Rinse out oil
4) Apply conditioner
5) Rinse out conditioner
6) Style/Finish with preferred method (in my case LOC)

Am I missing something else?

meteor
February 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM
You can do it this way, arelrios! :thumbsup:

Personally, I skip a step: I apply oil right after rinsing shampoo off, then, without rinsing the oil, I apply conditioner/mask on top of the oil, massage that in and then rinse out some time later. Alternatively, I add oil straight to my bowl with conditioner/mask. I get very similar results both ways. :)

lapushka
February 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM
So, this is how is done?

1) Wash (any method)
2) Apply oil (any oil)
3) Rinse out oil
4) Apply conditioner
5) Rinse out conditioner
6) Style/Finish with preferred method (in my case LOC)

Am I missing something else?

1) Sulfate, sulfate free or CO (your first CO).
2) Natural oil or MO, I would use sparing amounts of each!
6) Yes, I also use LOC on top of this method!

arelrios
February 25th, 2015, 10:30 AM
You can do it this way, arelrios! :thumbsup:

Personally, I skip a step: I apply oil right after rinsing shampoo off, then, without rinsing the oil, I apply conditioner/mask on top of the oil, massage that in and then rinse out some time later. Alternatively, I add oil straight to my bowl with conditioner/mask. I get very similar results both ways. :)

Will try this either tonight or tomorrow morning ... I will share my results

1) Sulfate, sulfate free or CO (your first CO).
2) Natural oil or MO, I would use sparing amounts of each!
6) Yes, I also use LOC on top of this method!

I think the season calls for a Sulfate wash lately, but is been so long that I don't even know what shampoo I should get now .... I will use some herbal oil mix I have had for a long time now lol...

Will share my experience either tonight or tomorrow... ;)

Thanks to both :)

lilelf
February 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Ok, so the mayo mask+ cowash + mineral oil rinse+ final condish left my hair feeling lovely with tons of body, but I don't think I will be able to do again. I just don't think my scalp can handle the chemicals anymore. It was so sore and tender last night I actually thought I had sores on it. Back to my poo bars/ Doc B+ oil and rosemary-henna oil for me!!!

lilelf
February 25th, 2015, 11:44 AM
^Baby oil, not straight mineral oil. ^

arelrios
February 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Update:

I washed this morning. My routine and products:

1) Clarified with vo5 kiwi lime
2) 6 drops of oil (http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/204221/220.jpg) straight to the hair
3) mixed 3 drops of oil with conditioner (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/210zz%2BRC7iL.jpg)
*****shower duties*****
4) Rinsed out
5) Applied small amount of conditioner (https://dm.victoriassecret.com/product/404x539/V421203.jpg)
*****more shower duties*****
6) Rinsed out
7) Diluted vinegar rinse
8) Rinsed out

Ends are really soft... I still believe I need to trim but not as much as I thought ...

Hair is not greasy looking or stringy or anything similar... Yes, is frizzy but with 61% humidity and 69 dew point I think is expected.... plus, on wash day my hair is always frizzy (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205124958003964277/)

lapushka
February 26th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Pretty nice results, it sounds like!

Too bad, lilelf.

Nadine <3
February 28th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Half a cup of coconut oil this wash day.

Hair is still not greasy.

Magic.

lapushka
February 28th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Wow that's a lot, Nadine! Glad your hair just soaks it up. :)

Nadine <3
February 28th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Wow that's a lot, Nadine! Glad your hair just soaks it up. :)

I love that some of it runs down my back and I don't have to figure out how to get lotion in those hard to reach spots! :cool:

KittyBird
March 1st, 2015, 02:25 AM
I'm gonna try this method again, maybe it'll work better now that my hair is shorter ;)

lapushka
March 1st, 2015, 08:31 AM
10 drops of MO again this wash. My hair is clarified every time, though, even the lengths. I feel it needs it with the oil and LOC after. Works out well, though!

arelrios
March 2nd, 2015, 07:41 AM
10 drops of MO again this wash. My hair is clarified every time, though, even the lengths. I feel it needs it with the oil and LOC after. Works out well, though!

Lapushka, now that you mentioned clarifying I was wondering yesterday while in the shower,.... is it ok to clarify (wash with clarifying shampoo) every time we wash? or do you refer to wash with SLS shampoos every time you wash?

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 08:08 AM
arelrios, my hair is washed once a week, so it's weekly clarified. Because it's a "week", and I use rinse-out oil *and* the LOC method, so enough mineral oil on the lengths *and* silicones. I need to just remove them, you know. But if you wash more often and aren't that intense on the silicones, I see no reason why you should clarify every time.

arelrios
March 2nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
arelrios, my hair is washed once a week, so it's weekly clarified. Because it's a "week", and I use rinse-out oil *and* the LOC method, so enough mineral oil on the lengths *and* silicones. I need to just remove them, you know. But if you wash more often and aren't that intense on the silicones, I see no reason why you should clarify every time.

Got it! thanks so much for your answer :)

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 09:59 AM
Got it! thanks so much for your answer :)

No problem! :)

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Today was wash day, since I was sick yesterday and didn't feel like it. I used 10 drops of MO this time, everything else the same, hair still wasn't overloaded. I really love what this is doing for my hair, maybe one of these days I will try it with my previous non-coney condition using this method and see how that fairs. I have used coney conditioners before and not had this kind of success. I think for me the difference is the MO. The results seem very consistent, which isn't something I have been able to achieve with everything else I've been doing. Pics tell the story better.

First is Jan of this year, which was sulfate free shampoo and nonconey conditioner, hair is very dry and lifeless and this was wash day if I remember correctly. The next is today (also wash day), using the rinse-out oil method.

http://http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/RinseOutBeforeAfter_zpsllb2bcwx.jpg (http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/RinseOutBeforeAfter_zpsllb2bcwx.jpg)

ETA; need to downsize pic, it's huge and you'll have to look past the different color shirts, the lighter colors show the thin ends better, but I was looking more at the texture difference than how thin the ends were.

Wosie
March 2nd, 2015, 01:41 PM
Wow, Sterlyn!! :bigeyes: Your hair is only getting wavier and wavier! Beautiful progress, I'm feeling very inspired. :D
Do you think it'd work as well with coconut oil?

I tried this rinse-out oil method two washes ago, and I took way too much oil ('twas hard to gauge when the hair was soaking wet) and it came out greasy and flat afterwards. I'll keep trying. :agree:

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 01:41 PM
Sterlyn, it seems like your ends are thicker... I'm not imagining that, am I? No. No, I'm not!

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 01:55 PM
Wow, Sterlyn!! :bigeyes: Your hair is only getting wavier and wavier! Beautiful progress, I'm feeling very inspired. :D
Do you think it'd work as well with coconut oil?

I tried this rinse-out oil method two washes ago, and I took way too much oil ('twas hard to gauge when the hair was soaking wet) and it came out greasy and flat afterwards. I'll keep trying. :agree:

I have only used CO as a pre-poo, never as the oil-after-the-shampoo step, don't know if enough of it would come out. As for the oil amount, I put my MO in an old essential oil bottle that has a plastic insert to make sure it comes out 1 drop at a time. It helps alot, it's the only way I can use MO, because when I try to use the giant bottle it comes in I can never get the amount right. It was either too much or not enough. Ten drops sounds like a lot, but in your hand it's a teeny-tiny puddle.

Sterlyn, it seems like your ends are thicker... I'm not imagining that, am I? No. No, I'm not!

My ends seem to be looking so much better than they were, but I think the thicker may be an optical illusion. I should try and dig up a pic that has a darker shirt, light shirt vs. dark shirt makes a huge difference in how thick (or not) my ends appear. Let me dig through my pics and see if I can find one for a better comparison, apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 02:10 PM
Ok better comparison pic, both darker shirts. First is from Dec, second is from today. Yes my ends do seem a little thicker, maybe that is just an optical illusion but either way my ends feel and look a lot better in general. This method has become my holy grail for consistently great looking hair, even a few days after the wash the ends still are holding up better than they used to. Some days after a scalp wash I plop the ends on the wet scalp, turbie towel, then add 1 drop of MO to the very ends and they are back to looking wash day fresh, it didn't work like that before.

http://http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/ROCompare2_zpsfrixsnrp.jpg (http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q667/sterlyn1/Hair%202015/ROCompare2_zpsfrixsnrp.jpg)

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
^ Looks great! :D Your hair looks thicker, too. :applause Did you change anything else since December?

And thank you for details on how you measure 10 drops. I always wondered how people here know that they are using X drops... I just pour out of a bottle and use about a palmful (I wonder how many drops that would be :hmm: )

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 02:26 PM
^ Looks great! :D Your hair looks thicker, too. :applause Did you change anything else since December?

And thank you for details on how you measure 10 drops. I always wondered how people here know that they are using X drops... I just pour out of a bottle and use about a palmful (I wonder how many drops that would be :hmm: )

Not really anything different. I did start trying 2-3 drops of MO added to freshly washed hair as a LI, which did helped my hair look good for a day maybe 2 but then my ends were just parched. As far as measuring, LOL I cannot use the actual baby oil bottle, would probably be a disaster, either in the tub or my hair.

I think the only reason I can use 10 drops is because it gets rinsed and then the conditioner is added, somehow that makes that recipe work for me. I tried mixing the MO with the conditioner in a single step and it wasn't as good for me, hair was a bit frizzy and dry still, but I know it works for others just fine.

Anyway found my HG, gonna stick with it until my hair stops liking it. And also this 3 step routine is only something I do once or sometimes twice a week, that's a whole head wash. Every other day is just a scalp only wash with the length covered, it's actually made my overall routine quicker and simpler except for wash day(s).

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM
Yes, but but... I appreciate the second pics, Sterlyn. ;) But I'm sticking to "your ends look thicker". They look so nice! :D

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
Great to know! Thanks a lot for sharing the details, Sterlyn! :D It looks amazing!

(Oh, and by the way, I'm a huge fan of scalp-only washes, too: such a massive time/effort-saver! :agree: )

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 03:00 PM
Yes, but but... I appreciate the second pics, Sterlyn. ;) But I'm sticking to "your ends look thicker". They look so nice! :D

Yeah, I have to admit even with 2 dark shirts, they do look thicker. ETA: LOL ok, I'll take thicker ends but before you say it for sure check out the side by side on the monthly length thread, my ends look a lot better but not as thick as they look with that purple shirt, not sure why exactly, hair was only finger combed in the length pic but the same day hair. I'd add the pic but I feel like I've photo bombed this thread more than my fair share today. :smile:

Great to know! Thanks a lot for sharing the details, Sterlyn! :D It looks amazing!

(Oh, and by the way, I'm a huge fan of scalp-only washes, too: such a massive time/effort-saver! :agree: )

I started doing them last year, can't even remember who to credit here for the thank you. I am one of those unusual people that even at my age, I still have a very oily scalp, I tried stretching washes and my hair never adjusted and it always looked awful by the end of that 2nd day, and it was itchy. Dry shampoos made the itching worse, I walked around scratching like I had bugs, not pretty at all. Scalp-only washes allowed me to save my length all those shampoos it doesn't need while keeping my scalp nicer looking and happier.

TrapperCreekD
March 2nd, 2015, 05:52 PM
Sterlyn, your hair looks amazing! :thud:

So, I may have tried this a couple days ago. :whistle: In the shower, after rinsing, my hair felt silky like it does after rinsing out conditioner, which I hadn't even applied yet. Maybe it was just the light, but my wurls looked extra shiny after I diffused... can't wait to see how the ends look in a few days!

Sterlyn
March 2nd, 2015, 07:58 PM
TrapperCreek I know realistically no one routine works the for everyone, but it sure has made a difference for my hair. My ends seem to have benefited from this the most. Hoping the same for you. :)

JadedByEntropy
March 2nd, 2015, 09:29 PM
I tried this with some strong/thick oil, not knowing it was a thing, just to use it up and hopefully wash it out. The first day was cakey and it wouldn't brush out. But it made Beautiful shiny braids. My hair still managed to dry out, so i might do it again with a little less oil, and maybe a touchup of a lighter one during the week. Still no greasy look, but all my hair sticks together and looks matted. :( Any way to combat that?

Nadine <3
March 2nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
I tried this with some strong/thick oil, not knowing it was a thing, just to use it up and hopefully wash it out. The first day was cakey and it wouldn't brush out. But it made Beautiful shiny braids. My hair still managed to dry out, so i might do it again with a little less oil, and maybe a touchup of a lighter one during the week. Still no greasy look, but all my hair sticks together and looks matted. :( Any way to combat that?

What type of oil are you using? It sounds like your hair isn't liking whatever oil it is if it's sticking together and matting. I would wash that out and try something lighter/use less.

Today I decided to skip my oil rinse just to clear any residue...wow. Using the oil has made my hair AMAZING, it feels like silk! My hair doesn't know what a tangle is anymore, I am in love with this method and I will use it until the day I die! :happydance: It's having an amazing affect on my hair! Not to mention that I sat down after my hair was dried planning on s&d and there was nothing to cut. :happydance:

Wosie
March 3rd, 2015, 05:10 AM
Sterlyn, Thank you for the help! Something which confuses me, though... Isn't mineral oil 'just' a sealant? I mean, I thought MO was only used after washing and conditioning, to make sure that the moisture stays in. I didn't think it had any additional properties! I do know coconut oil acts both as a sealant and protein retainer. :hmm:
Either way, I will have to try this as your results have been jaw-droppingly awesome and I want my hair to get wavier (my hair's very fickle, as you've seen, changing from 1b to 2b randomly).

I'm so happy for you, Nadine! :disco: Does your hair also get wavier after following this method?

Sterlyn
March 3rd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Sterlyn, Thank you for the help! Something which confuses me, though... Isn't mineral oil 'just' a sealant? I mean, I thought MO was only used after washing and conditioning, to make sure that the moisture stays in. I didn't think it had any additional properties! I do know coconut oil acts both as a sealant and protein retainer. :hmm:
Either way, I will have to try this as your results have been jaw-droppingly awesome and I want my hair to get wavier (my hair's very fickle, as you've seen, changing from 1b to 2b randomly).

Wosie my hair does get wavier with this, but I would have to use gel to really get them to stay past the first day or the first bun.:p

MO does seal hair and in the extremely dry winter air, keeping that moisture in, seems to be what helps my hair the most right now. I'm sure other oils would work as well with the rinse-out method, I avoid them because MO causes the least amount of darkening/yellowing when applied directly to my hair compared to other oils I've tried. I guess that's my main reason for not experimenting with something else.

Coconut oil I use at times as a pre-poo with good results. Ktani's blog (Ktani's Hair Sense) has a lot of good info on the use of different oils and hair.

MsVenus
March 3rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
are you saying Moroccan oil or mineral oil?

Sterlyn
March 3rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
are you saying Moroccan oil or mineral oil?

Sorry, sometimes get lazy with the acronyms. Mineral Oil. :)

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
MOO as an acronym for moroccan oil is just an idea. ;)

Wosie
March 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Wosie my hair does get wavier with this, but I would have to use gel to really get them to stay past the first day or the first bun.:p

MO does seal hair and in the extremely dry winter air, keeping that moisture in, seems to be what helps my hair the most right now. I'm sure other oils would work as well with the rinse-out method, I avoid them because MO causes the least amount of darkening/yellowing when applied directly to my hair compared to other oils I've tried. I guess that's my main reason for not experimenting with something else.

Coconut oil I use at times as a pre-poo with good results. Ktani's blog (Ktani's Hair Sense) has a lot of good info on the use of different oils and hair.

Doesn't the mineral oil rinse block out the effects of the conditioner, with its sealing qualities? That's my main concern regarding using MO with this method. :ponder:
Coconut oil is my favourite pre-poo oil as well, preferably mixed up with some castor oil (not too much though, as it's very sticky!).

It's indeed saddening how 'lazy waves' as I call them (1c/2a and weak 2a) loses most of its form once we've slept on them. I truly wish I had wavier hair, so that the waves wouldn't get flattened so easily.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 09:45 AM
I know conditioner is known for getting oil out, so that might "destroy" some of the most greasy effects of the MO. I don't find that it seals. I mean, I still use the LOC method (and silicone serum) to seal my moisture in afterwards, and it's just *fine*. Just try it and see. You can't knock it until you do. ;)

Wosie
March 3rd, 2015, 09:59 AM
Thank you, lapushka! Nah, I ain't knockin' down on anything, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. :p
I'll try this method with mineral oil today (actually it's a baby oil consisting of two ingredients: paraffinum liquidum & cetyl alcohol--I hope that's OK?) and I'll write my thoughts about it later tonight or tomorrow. :agree:

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Thank you, lapushka! Nah, I ain't knockin' down on anything, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. :p
I'll try this method with mineral oil today (actually it's a baby oil consisting of two ingredients: paraffinum liquidum & cetyl alcohol--I hope that's OK?) and I'll write my thoughts about it later tonight or tomorrow. :agree:

I use "plain" J&J baby oil, and it's always done well by me. :D

Sterlyn
March 3rd, 2015, 10:14 AM
Doesn't the mineral oil rinse block out the effects of the conditioner, with its sealing qualities? That's my main concern regarding using MO with this method. :ponder:
Coconut oil is my favourite pre-poo oil as well, preferably mixed up with some castor oil (not too much though, as it's very sticky!).

It's indeed saddening how 'lazy waves' as I call them (1c/2a and weak 2a) loses most of its form once we've slept on them. I truly wish I had wavier hair, so that the waves wouldn't get flattened so easily.

ditto on the wish for tougher waves......

The question of MO blocking the conditioner is a good one, and my answer is I don't have any idea, we need the more sciencey folks to add their 2 cents. The MO is rinsed out (the way I do it) then the conditioner is applied, how much that might remove to allow the conditioner to work is anybody's guess. I can say that previously my routine was the reverse, hair was washed, conditioned, then applied 2-3 drops of MO as a LI, and the results ok the first day but the days after the ends were dry especially once winter hit.

I don't know why the order of ingredients works, it does sound backwards I agree, I as long as the results continue and my hair doesn't start showing signs of increased damage that will be enough for me personally.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Yep, Sterlyn. Wishing the more sciency gals would weigh in as well. Though I am guessing the conditioner *after* the oil does at least something on maybe removing parts of it.

Sterlyn
March 3rd, 2015, 11:20 AM
@Lapushka

Applying the conditioner after the oil is working way better for me than it ever did the other way around. However it did occur to me that I started using full on cones and sulfates once weekly, right before I started the rinse-out method. That may throw some variables in that I'm missing. I have tried cones before several times but they left my hair feeling coated, like plastic until I started using a sulfate wash with them. Sulfate-free and cones, the water-soluable ones, were a no go for me.

I guess if I wanted to nod in the direction of being scientific about it, I could go back to my non-coney conditioner using the rinse-out oil method and see what I get. I have wondered if the MO is the key to the success of this, at least as far as my results go. I would have to stick with the once weekly sulfate shampoo, it seems to keep the yellowing at bay. I am also tempted to try shampoo, MO rinse, vinegar rinse and no conditioner to see what happens. I swear I remember Ktani's blog talked about using MO instead of conditioner with decent results, although I don't recall the details, it's been a while since I've read through it.

LOL, only here could we have a lively discussion on which ingredients, amounts and order to use them for washing our hair.........:p Anyone IRL would think we were completely nuts.

numbernine
March 3rd, 2015, 11:57 AM
I have been using this method for the last few washes and my hair loves it !

lapushka
March 3rd, 2015, 11:58 AM
Sterlyn, I would not start experimenting, who knows what the results will be. Don't mess with something that works well! ;)

Wosie
March 3rd, 2015, 12:03 PM
It might be a combination of both routines, Sterlyn. :agree: This makes me remember to start blogging again, so that I can write down my current routines and see what is working and what's not... It's easy to forget a good routine if you love to experiment a lot. :o

Oh, by the way, do you use some extra mineral oil once you're done with the washing... When the hair's damp?

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 12:09 PM

Some oils have better occlusive qualities than others, and mineral oil tops the list, IIRC. I like coconut oil in my pre-poo the most, because of its penetrating and keratin-protecting effect. And I prefer mineral oil on wet hair (post-wash and/or oil rinse) because of its occlusive effect.
The thing is, even if you use a lot of oil during an oil rinse, like a palmful or two, you are not coating all the hair. What happens in the shower is that steam and hot water help that oil be runnier and spread it a lot better, which I believe is the biggest advantage of oil rinses compared to other forms of oil application. That evenness and spreadability is what makes hair so shiny, soft, manageable and tangle-free after an oil rinse.
I think what happens with conditioner on top of oil, is that some oil (excess oil that was applied too heavily) is removed, and a thin layer of remaining oil is spread out so thinly by the emollient conditioner on top, that the overall effect is that moisturized, non-greasy shine! Standard conditioners don't wash as fully as clarifying shampoos, they leave a very light layer of oil behind. And healthy-looking hair does have that very light layer of oil, that's what gives it that healthy shine. :)
Please check out this article to see how washing with conditioner cleanses hair vs. some standard (shampoo) and alternative (WO, baking soda, ACV) washes:
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/02/does-co-washing-really-clean-your-hair.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/07/can-you-wash-your-hair-with-baking-soda.html
Pictures of hair washed with conditioner under microscope: here (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y0z0wFZSC0I/UwjOZ7rvmUI/AAAAAAAABTo/-ruHsPp8LNs/s1600/co-washed_hair_2.jpg)and here (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M5n6NyPlQAk/UwjOaOMA0sI/AAAAAAAABTs/Cvw_8Y1XMUY/s1600/cowashed_hair.jpg), compare to unwashed oiled hair here (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0SycyX_TQcM/U7QrZR5AiTI/AAAAAAAABdU/cajRIcKbMsc/s1600/oily_natural_hair_0714.jpg).

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 12:36 PM
I am also tempted to try shampoo, MO rinse, vinegar rinse and no conditioner to see what happens. I swear I remember Ktani's blog talked about using MO instead of conditioner with decent results, although I don't recall the details, it's been a while since I've read through it.

Yes, ktani wrote on her blog about using catnip tea and mineral oil as a replacement for standard conditioner. Also, Madora uses only a few drops of mineral oil as her conditioner (in conjunction with George Michael cleansing product), if I remember correctly. One of the biggest advantages of mineral oil that ktani cited was the fact that it doesn't seem to build up and is easily washed off even with the gentlest cleansing methods.
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/06/coconut-oil-and-mineral-oil-use.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/04/how-mineral-oil-can-help-even-damaged.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/04/conditioners-treatments-and-mineral-oil.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-skinny-details-on-mineral-oil-baby.html

KittyBird
March 3rd, 2015, 12:46 PM
Tried it again yesterday, but can't tell if it made much of a difference because my hair feels super-soft and amazing all the time now. :o It didn't do anything bad for my hair, so I'll just continue doing it. :D

JadedByEntropy
March 3rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
What type of oil are you using? It sounds like your hair isn't liking whatever oil it is if it's sticking together and matting. I would wash that out and try something lighter/use less.

Its got a strong peanut smell but its got 7 oils and is like a hot oil treatment?

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Its got a strong peanut smell but its got 7 oils and is like a hot oil treatment?

Do you have the name of the product? :) Is it something like this, by any chance: http://www.emamiltd.in/brands/90/189/emami-7-oils-in-one.php
Sometimes hair oils contain more than oils, by the way.

Sterlyn
March 3rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
It might be a combination of both routines, Sterlyn. :agree: This makes me remember to start blogging again, so that I can write down my current routines and see what is working and what's not... It's easy to forget a good routine if you love to experiment a lot. :o

Oh, by the way, do you use some extra mineral oil once you're done with the washing... When the hair's damp?

After the full hair wash, no. Later in the week after a scalp-only wash, I'll put the dry ends on top of my head, wrap it up in the turbie towel and when I take it down add 1 drop of MO to the dampened ends. It really refreshes them but I only do it if my ends look like they need it.

Sterlyn, I would not start experimenting, who knows what the results will be. Don't mess with something that works well! ;)

You are right, hair is happy and I can't remember a routine that has worked this consistently. If I start messing around I'll most likely get unhappy hair.

Meteor Thank you for coming and explaining the sciencey end of things, that makes a lot of sense as to why this seems to work so well.

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 03:40 PM
^ Thank you very much, Sterlyn! :flower: I really wish I could be of more help here, but there just isn't much research on this kind of stuff, as far as I know.
I think pictures of hair under microscope really help in the meantime. It's amazing how the way the product is applied makes such a tremendous difference, which is why I have better luck with oil rinses than applying oil to wet hair post-wash. Spreading a product properly is half the battle! (We've probably all been in this situation when a hairdresser uses product and gets great results and when you buy that product from her and use it at home, it doesn't work the same! :lol: )

arelrios
March 3rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
^ Thank you very much, Sterlyn! :flower: I really wish I could be of more help here, but there just isn't much research on this kind of stuff, as far as I know.
I think pictures of hair under microscope really help in the meantime. It's amazing how the way the product is applied makes such a tremendous difference, which is why I have better luck with oil rinses than applying oil to wet hair post-wash. Spreading a product properly is half the battle! (We've probably all been in this situation when a hairdresser uses product and gets great results and when you buy that product from her and use it at home, it doesn't work the same! :lol: )

True story lol...

For instance, I forgot to bring my bottle of oil into the shower. When I remembered I had already applied the first conditioner. So I rinsed it and mixed 4 drops of oil with the second one and rinsed it again. Followed by the same routine as usual... Results weren't that great as the first time.

If I wash tomorrow, I will be sharing the results (now I keep the bottle of oil in the shower)

JadedByEntropy
March 3rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
Do you have the name of the product? :) Is it something like this, by any chance: http://www.emamiltd.in/brands/90/189/emami-7-oils-in-one.php
Sometimes hair oils contain more than oils, by the way.

its this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/natural-7-oil/SBS-631075,default,pd.html by Proclaim. I didn't see anything 'bad' in it that i know of :) but yeah, my hair only likes it once it has a day to wear off. It has been super soft this week after that one terrrrible wash day.

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM
its this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/natural-7-oil/SBS-631075,default,pd.html by Proclaim. I didn't see anything 'bad' in it that i know of :) but yeah, my hair only likes it once it has a day to wear off. It has been super soft this week after that one terrrrible wash day.

It's a great-looking product, but it has lots of stuff other than oils, for example silicones (cyclomethicone). If you don't like its effect in an oil rinse, I would use it as a leave-in oil/shine serum - that's what it was formulated for, too. ;)

(Ingredients: ARACHIS HYPOGAEA (PEANUT) OIL ,RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL ,CANOLA OIL ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,TOCOPHERYL ACETATE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL ,SESAMUM INDICUM (SESAME) SEED OIL ,PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) O ,CYCLOMETHICONE ,FRAGRANCE ,BHT ,HYDROXYCITRONELLAL ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,CITRAL ,LIMONENE ,EUGENOL ,AMYL CINNAMAL ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL )

JadedByEntropy
March 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
It's a great-looking product, but it has lots of stuff other than oils, for example silicones (cyclomethicone). If you don't like its effect in an oil rinse, I would use it as a leave-in oil/shine serum - that's what it was formulated for, too. ;)

(Ingredients: ARACHIS HYPOGAEA (PEANUT) OIL ,RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL ,CANOLA OIL ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,TOCOPHERYL ACETATE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL ,SESAMUM INDICUM (SESAME) SEED OIL ,PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) O ,CYCLOMETHICONE ,FRAGRANCE ,BHT ,HYDROXYCITRONELLAL ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,CITRAL ,LIMONENE ,EUGENOL ,AMYL CINNAMAL ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL )

ah okay, thanks. :) i'll leave it for that then. I also got a Mineral Oil today because so many seem to use that. My hair is very dry though, is there something useful thats in between? or trial and error?

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM
ah okay, thanks. :) i'll leave it for that then. I also got a Mineral Oil today because so many seem to use that. My hair is very dry though, is there something useful thats in between? or trial and error?

Mineral oil is great for dry oil, and its biggest advantage is its occlusive power - slowing down evaporation of water from the surface. So it sort of "locks in" the moisture - great for dry hair. ;)

But yeah, it's always trial and error. :) Everybody's favorite oils are different. I like using coconut oil, too. I'm not just enjoying its effects but I'm also swayed by all the scientific research that shows its benefits for hair, so I try to incorporate it in my routine whenever possible.

JadedByEntropy
March 3rd, 2015, 06:05 PM
Mineral oil is great for dry oil, and its biggest advantage is its occlusive power - slowing down evaporation of water from the surface. So it sort of "locks in" the moisture - great for dry hair. ;)

But yeah, it's always trial and error. :) Everybody's favorite oils are different. I like using coconut oil, too. I'm not just enjoying its effects but I'm also swayed by all the scientific research that shows its benefits for hair, so I try to incorporate it in my routine whenever possible.
hmmm.. is that a cooking thing or a hair thing?

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 06:09 PM
hmmm.. is that a cooking thing or a hair thing?

Doesn't matter much. 100% pure virgin coconut oil is used in both cooking and hair care.
Personally, I use Trader Joe's virgin coconut oil (cooking oil) and Dabur Vatika enriched coconut hair oil (coconut oil infused with amla, henna, lemon, brahmi, rosemary, etc) pretty much interchangeably.
Cooking oils are perfectly safe to use on hair. And it saves money, too (especially on high-end oils like argan or macadamia). ;)

lilelf
March 4th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Ok, so an update. I tried a different oil today, Jasmine scented sesame oil, by Three Rivers ( a Pakistani company). Hair is drying in my stretchy tube hair wrap. Waiting to see if the results will be as squishy soft as with my beloved Khadi oil. Will update later. :)

arelrios
March 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Update:
I tried again this morning. This time I applied the oil directly to my hair and didn't mix it with conditioner... my 'wurls' are behaving :cheer: ... I mean, I have frizz, but nothing compared to my usual frizz... Will get some mineral oil and see if that helps also the process...

JadedByEntropy
March 4th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Tried the mineral oil, and tons of my frizzies are now bangs i didn't know i had. lol It was shiny and not greasy and still weighed my strong-willed hairs down.

hidetheice
March 5th, 2015, 06:36 AM
I was just thinking about this method and have a question. Sorry if this has already been addressed previously in the thread.

Anyways, I'm under the understanding that oils lock in moisture, so I'm not really sure why the rinse out oil is pre conditioner. If you have all that oil on your hair before you put the conditioner on, wouldn't that make it more difficult for the conditioner to do its job? Has anyone tried doing the rinse out oil AFTER the conditioner?

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I was just thinking about this method and have a question. Sorry if this has already been addressed previously in the thread.

Anyways, I'm under the understanding that oils lock in moisture, so I'm not really sure why the rinse out oil is pre conditioner. If you have all that oil on your hair before you put the conditioner on, wouldn't that make it more difficult for the conditioner to do its job? Has anyone tried doing the rinse out oil AFTER the conditioner?

I think because conditioner is known to get oil out; the oil will soften but the conditioner will get the grease out - my take on it anyway. So you will be left with soft hair, that is less tangly. Hopefully. If you use the right amount.

Sterlyn
March 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM

I have never tried it with order reversed, if others have maybe they can chime in. We were all wondering the same thing a bit upthread, no answers to offer just positive results that said it seemed to work better with oil first then conditioner. If you scroll up to Meteor's post #213, I think she gave the most plausible sciencey explanation for why. :)

ETA: JadedByEntropy :cheer: LOL, it does seem to some sort of magic doesn't it. All the money I have spent on high end products and not getting the fantabulous results they promised. A bottle of baby oil and an inexpensive shampoo and conditioner, who knew????........

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 09:01 AM
ETA: JadedByEntropy :cheer: LOL, it does seem to some sort of magic doesn't it. All the money I have spent on high end products and not getting the fantabulous results they promised. A bottle of baby oil and an inexpensive shampoo and conditioner, who knew????........

It is magic, to me at least. To me it's not "visible" in the hair itself, it's just that my ends stay moisturized throughout the entire week - magic.

lilelf
March 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Doesn't matter much. 100% pure virgin coconut oil is used in both cooking and hair care.
Personally, I use Trader Joe's virgin coconut oil (cooking oil) and Dabur Vatika enriched coconut hair oil (coconut oil infused with amla, henna, lemon, brahmi, rosemary, etc) pretty much interchangeably.
Cooking oils are perfectly safe to use on hair. And it saves money, too (especially on high-end oils like argan or macadamia). ;)

Update:
I tried again this morning. This time I applied the oil directly to my hair and didn't mix it with conditioner... my 'wurls' are behaving :cheer: ... I mean, I have frizz, but nothing compared to my usual frizz... Will get some mineral oil and see if that helps also the process...

I have never tried it with order reversed, if others have maybe they can chime in. We were all wondering the same thing a bit upthread, no answers to offer just positive results that said it seemed to work better with oil first then conditioner. If you scroll up to Meteor's post #213, I think she gave the most plausible sciencey explanation for why. :)

I have tried it both ways, and I think Lapushka is right: it is a combination of the conditioner helping to spread the oil more thourougjly and helping to remove any excess oil in areas where too much was used, thereby leaving a thin, even layer on the hair. But I think something else may be at play here too. Perhaps something to do with the emulsifying nature of conditioner, mixed with the oil??? Idk, maybe I shouldn't question it. Lol. I do know though, that using oil AFTER conditioner and rinsing it through does not have nearly the same effect.
Oh, and I promised to update. Sorry, got rather busy with a grumpy Mr. Gushberg. The jasmine/sesame oil was lovely, my hair was lovely, soft and moisturized, though it felt just a TAD bit dryer the next day, as compared to when I use my beloved Khadi oil. Still though, I think they are fairly interchangeable. :)

lapushka
March 5th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Glad you had great results, lilelf. I'm still faithful to my MO. :lol: I do have other oils (coconut, macadamia, almond) but at first I'm tackling the big bottle of baby oil. Even though I could try experimenting... no, no, for now I'll just leave well enough alone. :lol:

hidetheice
March 5th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone =)

As I was browsing Ktani's blog which was linked I came across this article:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2013/03/oils-do-not-seal-water-in-hair-or.html

Basically its a misconception that oils actually seal the hair totally, which makes sense when you think about it. As she said, if that were true then oiled hair would never get wet, or wet oiled hair would never dry.

Either way, I bought some mineral oil today and I'm excited to try this method on my next wash day (probably tomorrow).

TrapperCreekD
March 5th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Ends seem normal to slightly more moisturized. :D This week looks like it won't be an under-normal-circumstances test since I'm pushing wash day back until tomorrow. Maybe next time!

For the record, I used almond oil.

-Fern
March 5th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I got snowed in today, so of course... hair experimentation happened. :stirpot:

I also have some Khadi oil (amla + brahmi), so I used that per lilelf, and otherwise followed the directions exactly for my first time.

Hair took about standard time to dry... and I kept noticing that it felt... different somehow... kinda weird... definitely not normal... and then I realized, it's because it's *soft!* :bigtongue: Man, talk about first time in a long time. I almost don't know what to do with it, but meanwhile I keep touching it.

Initial reaction: :applause

arr
March 6th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I've been reading this thread and decided to try it myself. I shampooed like normal, and then I mixed 8 drops of olive/coconut oil mix with my handful of conditioner and applied it from the neck down. I decided to combine the steps because somehow I felt like I could get the oil more evenly distributed that way. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the results, the most noticeable being how soft my hair feels! And it doesn't feel oily at all. It is really shiny and it is way less tangly. I'm really amazed at what a difference this made, and I thought my hair was already pretty good. I like this much better than prepoo oiling because that always left my hair feeling more oily, plus I have to use more oil and more conditioner to get all that oil out. This method saves time and products.

I still have to do a little experimentation with how much oil is optimum for me and how to adjust how much leave in to use, if any. Yesterday I used half of what I normally use for the LOC method and it turned out good, so maybe I hit on the right proportions the first time.

Wildcat Diva
March 6th, 2015, 08:32 AM
I have been adding some oil to my conditioner mix. Avacado. And CO'd with that mix twice (it's also very diluted) and then a creamy CO for a third time. Seems excessive, but as I said it's diluted, and with a once a week wash it's no big deal. The ends looked moisturized.

lapushka
March 6th, 2015, 08:42 AM
I've been reading this thread and decided to try it myself. I shampooed like normal, and then I mixed 8 drops of olive/coconut oil mix with my handful of conditioner and applied it from the neck down. I decided to combine the steps because somehow I felt like I could get the oil more evenly distributed that way. Anyway, I'm really impressed with the results, the most noticeable being how soft my hair feels! And it doesn't feel oily at all. It is really shiny and it is way less tangly. I'm really amazed at what a difference this made, and I thought my hair was already pretty good. I like this much better than prepoo oiling because that always left my hair feeling more oily, plus I have to use more oil and more conditioner to get all that oil out. This method saves time and products.

I still have to do a little experimentation with how much oil is optimum for me and how to adjust how much leave in to use, if any. Yesterday I used half of what I normally use for the LOC method and it turned out good, so maybe I hit on the right proportions the first time.

I have been adding some oil to my conditioner mix. Avacado. And CO'd with that mix twice (it's also very diluted) and then a creamy CO for a third time. Seems excessive, but as I said it's diluted, and with a once a week wash it's no big deal. The ends looked moisturized.

Oh I'm so glad you guys got good results. :D

Ambrielle
March 6th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Going to give this a try again on sunday. :)

When i tried it before i used almond oil and really liked the results. I am tempted to use a different oil this time, maybe mineral oil. How much mineral oil do you guys use?

Wildcat Diva
March 6th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I don't have to worry about any overoiling concerns. I'm usually oiling it up with coconut oil by the last few days of the week and my hair seems to bun up beautifully like that. I seem to get compliments even when I'm heavily oiled. My scalp is in no hurry to wash, and I'm washing at day 7 just to get it done for the week. I've been leaving it down on day one and sometimes part of day two. Seems fine.

lapushka
March 6th, 2015, 10:01 AM

When i tried it before i used almond oil and really liked the results. I am tempted to use a different oil this time, maybe mineral oil. How much mineral oil do you guys use?

10 drops for me seems to be just right, on TBL+ hair. Only from half the lengths down, though. I do that because I stretch a week and have oily hair, so I don't want it to be too slippy by the end of the week. And that part stays well moisturized!

I don't have to worry about any overoiling concerns. I'm usually oiling it up with coconut oil by the last few days of the week and my hair seems to bun up beautifully like that. I seem to get compliments even when I'm heavily oiled. My scalp is in no hurry to wash, and I'm washing at day 7 just to get it done for the week. I've been leaving it down on day one and sometimes part of day two. Seems fine.

Glad to hear that. Have you tried stretching to 2 weeks? Maybe it'll work. :)

JadedByEntropy
March 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM

I used about 10 drops. I'm going to try more and see if it still soaks in good.

hidetheice
March 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM
So today I tried this method for the first time. I wanted to replicate what I did last wash with my hair exactly, only change being the mineral oil rinse. So I shampoo'd my scalp with Fekkai essential shea with V05 conditioner on the length. Rinsed all that out and added a little bit of mineral oil from ears down (i haven't got a dropper yet, my goal was to use 5 drops so i estimated the best i could). Let the oil sit in my hair while i did other showerly things. Rinsed out the oil. Applied a SMT (honey, AVG, v05). Now I'm sitting here with a shower cap, turbie twist, and heating bag on my head. Will update when I know more about results =D

lapushka
March 6th, 2015, 03:12 PM
So today I tried this method for the first time. I wanted to replicate what I did last wash with my hair exactly, only change being the mineral oil rinse. So I shampoo'd my scalp with Fekkai essential shea with V05 conditioner on the length. Rinsed all that out and added a little bit of mineral oil from ears down (i haven't got a dropper yet, my goal was to use 5 drops so i estimated the best i could). Let the oil sit in my hair while i did other showerly things. Rinsed out the oil. Applied a SMT (honey, AVG, v05). Now I'm sitting here with a shower cap, turbie twist, and heating bag on my head. Will update when I know more about results =D

If you don't have a dropper, about 10 drops is like a fingertip's worth.

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM

I just use about a palmful, because it's easier/faster... On finer/thinner/shorter hair, I'd probably use a dropper. ;)

hidetheice
March 6th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Hmm... well my 5 drops may have been more like 10.. or 15 lol :eek: Well... willl see how it goes! I've ordered a set of 6 dropper bottles on Amazon but was too impatient to wait for them to arrive

hidetheice
March 6th, 2015, 06:26 PM

So initial impression: my hair feels very dry and tangly, poofy (voluminous)
My hair is always weird right after a wash so I'll give it some more time to settle down and reevaluate