PDA

View Full Version : Unknown water hardness/softness question

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I'm from Washington but I'm in Mississippi for job training for 5 weeks. I've been here for a couple weeks and my hair is becoming very angry. She's usually very well behaved but now she's very crunchy and looks greasy even with coconut oil treatments (she's normally like them) and freshly washed. I thought maybe I didn't get all of the oil out so I rewashed but it hasn't helped :(

Anyone from Mississippi know if it's hand or soft water? If I know what I'm working with maybe I can fix it. I don't want to have any damage, I'm going to be here for a few more weeks... Help???

tigereye
January 25th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I'm from Washington but I'm in Mississippi for job training for 5 weeks. I've been here for a couple weeks and my hair is becoming very angry. She's usually very well behaved but now she's very crunchy and looks greasy even with coconut oil treatments (she's normally like them) and freshly washed. I thought maybe I didn't get all of the oil out so I rewashed but it hasn't helped :(

Anyone from Mississippi know if it's hand or soft water? If I know what I'm working with maybe I can fix it. I don't want to have any damage, I'm going to be here for a few more weeks... Help???

It probably depends on the area. If an area is normally soft, it doesn't necessarily mean all water in that area is soft.
Easiest option is probably either googling the water source for your area or looking to see if limescale appears on taps, shower heads, or inside kettles.

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM
There is limescale, what does that mean though? How do I make my hair feel normal again :(

tigereye
January 25th, 2015, 11:10 AM
There is limescale, what does that mean though? How do I make my hair feel normal again :(

If limescale forms relatively quickly, it's generally a harder-water area. Try a chelating shampoo (swimmers shampoos are sometimes chelating). Chelating is different to clarifying in that it removes mineral build-up, not product build-up.

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 12:46 PM
OK I'll have to look into finding one of those, thank you!

maggiealisa
January 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
That sounds like hard water. Ugh, something about water in the south..I just moved to Michigan from Georgia, and there is a huge difference in the water. I lived in several different cities in Georgia, and the water was hard and terrible in all of them. After the first shower I took in Michigan, I noticed a huge difference in my hair.
Anyway, I would do ACV rinses about once or twice a week to deal with the hard water. It helped a lot.

meteor
January 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Either a chelating/swimmers shampoo or miracle water (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184) should do the trick! ;)

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Thank you meteor!

MeAndTheMaz
January 25th, 2015, 01:33 PM
It sounds like you have hard water, but if you care to know for sure (or get some idea how hard), you can take a sample to a pool shop or a company that sells water treatment systems. Sears might do them, too.

Then again, if you're only there for a few more weeks and can find a work around, it mightn't be that important. :gobblecheese:

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I'm in a hotel room so probably won't do anything too extensive but my poor hair just isn't happy with me.

yogagirl
January 25th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Since you're only there for a limited time, maybe buy a gallon of distilled water and use it for washing your hair. Try to use it for when you first wet your hair and your last rinse.

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Since you're only there for a limited time, maybe buy a gallon of distilled water and use it for washing your hair. Try to use it for when you first wet your hair and your last rinse.

Ha, maybe I can bribe someone with a car to get me to the store, all I have is a bicycle so I don't know if I can carry a gallon jug :/ nut that is a good idea I haven't thought of.

Wildcat Diva
January 25th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Please check out my thread called miracle water revisited. I'm adding vitamins C and citric acid to tap water with good results.

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Please check out my thread called miracle water revisited. I'm adding vitamins C and citric acid to tap water with good results.

Will do Wildcat Thank you

Anje
January 25th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I'd try a swimmer's shampoo for the moment. Hotels are something of an unknown quantity too, though, as many of them seem to go bonkers softening the water till it's slimy. The occasional distilled water rinse might not be a bad idea.

veryhairyfairy
January 26th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I'd try a swimmer's shampoo for the moment. Hotels are something of an unknown quantity too, though, as many of them seem to go bonkers softening the water till it's slimy. The occasional distilled water rinse might not be a bad idea.

*shudders with memory* I still get icked-out when I remember the hotel in Wisconsin last year with the water so soft I actually felt less clean afterward because I couldn't get rinsed enough! (I ended up taking a washcloth bath with bottled water just so I wouldn't worry about eczema flaring up from soap residue)

Back on topic!
I'm a huge fan of miracle water, and I used to use just plain lemon juice and it worked very well. If I was less lazy I'd still be using it even though my water is really not that hard now.
You could also use bottled water to wash with if you have a gas station within walking distance of the hotel. I feel like I've literally never stayed at a hotel where I couldn't walk to a gas station and get drinking water.

Best of luck!

heidi w.
January 26th, 2015, 01:09 PM
To find out if it's hard or soft water, telephone the water company that provides water in your area and ask point blank. Also what kind of hair do you have? Curly, straight, a little wavy, black hair which is super kinky, and beyond. This will help answer your question. I bet you have hard water. I installed a water softener in my house which helps a ton when cleaning dishes, washing hair, clothes washing and more.
heidi w.

Eastbound&Down
January 26th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I have Caucasian 2b color treated hair. Usually don't have any issues and I don't see any visible damage but it is just frizzy and feels rough/crunchy to the touch :(

monaaa75
February 20th, 2015, 11:03 AM
use water mixed with baking soda instead of hard water - helps a lot