PDA

View Full Version : I think maybe it's time for a cut, advice?

thistledown
January 25th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Hi guys,
My hair is between hip and TB length right now, I'm growing out dye (unfortunately!) my top canopy virgin hair is just reaching chin length........I'm not loving the dyed ends at all :( At first I thought of getting a lob, but then realised I'd hate it and bemoan it taking foooorrrreeevvvveeerr to grow out :rolleyes: So instead I've been thinking this kind of length:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/327003622917889175/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/101964379036510863/
I'm hopeless with length but that's about mid-back I think? I thought it should still be long enough to be long (and braid etc) but I'd ditch some of the dyed ends. What do you guys think? How long to grow from mid-back back to hip?
I'm not sure yet. Maybe I'll just get back to waist....
Vanessa

Seventy7
January 25th, 2015, 03:25 AM
If you're not sure you could cut an inch or two every month or so. This is more than your growth, so you will slowly lose some length.
That way you get time to get used to the shorter length and the possibilities you gain or lose.
And when you notice it's too short for you, it quickly grows back again.

hanne jensen
January 25th, 2015, 03:30 AM
If your hair is between hip and tailbone, you have years invested in it. A huge chop will be traumatic. Have you considered dusting half your growth every month? Sooner or later the dyed ends will be gone. In the meantime, you could wear your hair in a cinnabun and enjoy the contrast in your bun. Or any other bun for that matter.

thistledown
January 25th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys, it's weird thinking of having 'short' hair, I may just have a few inches off........It takes forever to grow dye out, or so it seems!

ladyfey
January 25th, 2015, 04:50 AM
When I was growing out dye, I did end up cutting to a bob. That really worked for me. It was so much healthier and felt really good to the touch finally. I don't regret it, but that's me. I actually really enjoyed that length and could see going back to it if I get tired of the long hair someday.

Chocowalnut
January 25th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Have you considered dying the ends to match the new growth? that way you wouldn't have to lose any or much length then and can slowly cut it off over time if it's unhealthy. I am growing out my natural color too and was thinking about doing this eventually.

wilderwein
January 25th, 2015, 05:42 AM
Have you considered dying the ends to match the new growth? that way you wouldn't have to lose any or much length then and can slowly cut it off over time if it's unhealthy. I am growing out my natural color too and was thinking about doing this eventually.

This! You can take a semi-permanent dye wich will also make your hair ends appear healthier and smoother

MINAKO
January 25th, 2015, 05:48 AM
if the hair is in decent condition i wouldnt chop. just mix up a custon shade with pravana chromasilk and you're good to go. it is a deposit and leaves the hair healthier then before. absolutely no reason to wield the scissors.

Catatafish
January 25th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I also think that you should cut and inch or two off each month or so. And if the difference in colour bothers you, you can try to match it. That way you can find which length you'd like to maintain at best while you grow out the dye. And you'll have fresh ends all the time.

hannabiss
January 25th, 2015, 06:21 AM
if the hair is in not so good condition and your considering chopping most off anyways. id just go have someone match the color to the new growth and maybe take off 2 or 3 inches.

spidermom
January 25th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Deposit-only dye is a good option for blending the colors, but I also like the pictures you posted. Sometimes it's fun to switch things up.

Tiny trims on a regular basis are a good idea, too. I do that to keep my ends on the thicker side.

Eastbound&Down
January 25th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Trim an inch, maybe two and you'll be amazed at how different your hair feels and didn't have to use years of growth. If you still think you want more off, do an inch at a time until you are happy :)

kganihanova
January 25th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Why don't you cut to waist+? That's a nice compromise. (A little past waist but not quite to hip) I remember someone cut to waist+ and it still looked long and fabulous.

HintOfMint
January 27th, 2015, 11:09 PM
If you're not happy with your ends (and the condition isn't good enough to just cover with a dye that matches your roots), just cut it off. The lengths you're looking at are still perfectly long in anybody's universe and you'll be able to do plenty of styles.