PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for thin and flat hair?

BabyB
January 22nd, 2015, 11:35 PM
I'm no longer a long-hair gal - I chopped my hair off to chin-length bob a few months ago in the desperate hope that it'd stop my hair being quite so flat, turns out it made the problem even more obvious (also bangs/fringe needed, but takes away from bulk of hair) - although I no longer have long-hair, I'd appreciate some help from folks in the know...

Can anything be done to increase thickness or volume?

Hair details: 1B/1C, M, i

When in a ponytail it's an inch in diameter - I see very little hair loss so I don't think it's a health problem.

As a long-hair gal I was using conditioner-only method for washing, I wasn't using any sort of styling products or blow drying either, since switching to shot hair I've been using more products but I'm not seeing any impact on my hair to suggest it's causing harm or making any difference to hair quality. I've tried thickening and volumising products, nothing seems to help, plus the backcomb dust stuff is horrible, besides my hair is too thin to backcomb without it looking ridiculous. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on products that may do nothing.

These are the products I've tried so-far:
- Aussie volumising shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and mouse.
- Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection AgeDefy Advanced Thickening Treatment.
- Elvive Fibrology Thickening shampoo and conditioner.
- TRESemme Texture Style Backcomb Dust.

Here are some photos to show what I'm working with:

When I was growing my hair out...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Jadea_Faith/528040_4490648106850_425346633_n_zpsd2c59472.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Jadea_Faith/Photo-0037.jpg

Recent and with blow-dried hair (this is as volumized as my hair gets!)...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Jadea_Faith/10500538_10153255870207203_557547382149892248_n_zp s7b34eb2b.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/Jadea_Faith/10410728_10153255870372203_6590134636000088823_n_z ps9f9511e2.jpg

mamaherrera
January 23rd, 2015, 12:14 AM
I'm a low density lady with thick strands, and it seems that's just how I am. not low density, but medium density but part of that is from having thick strands. But what helps me, I'm curly, . . is laying on the bed so that my hair drys upside down, plopping, keeping it shorter. . . .and for you maybe braiding it, because the braid waves will give it some volume for sure.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2015, 12:15 AM
I don't know about increasing thickness or volume, apart from braid waves, which can be good at longer lengths, but I just wanted to say welcome to the LHC and happy growing! Also your hair is really pretty and glossy:)

mamaherrera
January 23rd, 2015, 12:25 AM
we are just the variation that makes life interesting!! I think your hair looks great!

maria_asa
January 23rd, 2015, 12:29 AM
I don't really have any suggestions as I have thin and flat hair myself and nothing I've tried has ever changed that. I just live with it and do the best with what I have. For what it's worth I think your hair looks really lovely.

I do like to point out though that if your ponytail is 1" in diameter your circumference is just over 3" which puts you in the normal thickness range.

mamaherrera
January 23rd, 2015, 01:12 AM
I just did mine, so my diameter is 1.18 inches, which isn't much more than yours and yet, it leaves me with 3.75" for a circumference, so diameter doesn't change drastically in proportion to the difference in circumferences, eh? I don't know how you actually measured diameter, it seems like it would be hard, but you fall in a ii, like me and many others.

another very good point, eh? A lot of times, people measure wrong and freak out!! How did you figure that out, from diameter, to circumference?

maria_asa
January 23rd, 2015, 03:26 AM
I just did mine, so my diameter is 1.18 inches, which isn't much more than yours and yet, it leaves me with 3.75" for a circumference, so diameter doesn't change drastically in proportion to the difference in circumferences, eh? I don't know how you actually measured diameter, it seems like it would be hard, but you fall in a ii, like me and many others.

another very good point, eh? A lot of times, people measure wrong and freak out!! How did you figure that out, from diameter, to circumference?

Assuming that the cross section of the ponytail is a circle the circumference is the diameter * pi. Pi is roughly 3,14 (with an infinite number of more decimals.)

CremeTron
January 23rd, 2015, 04:36 AM
I have flat hair. What helps me is parting it on one side overnight and then parting on the other side for wear during the day.

Also I have a small chopstick that push just into my hair around the crown and fringe and use it to gently push the hair up for volume during the day.

I wash my fringe every day as well for volume.

Stiria
January 23rd, 2015, 05:05 AM
I don't have any advice for you, besides braidwaves maybe. Perhaps sleeping in one or two french/dutch braids would work? Or a topknot? Just wanted to tell you that your hair is very pretty :)

lapushka
January 23rd, 2015, 06:47 AM
Maybe a texturizing spray would work. There's one by Garnier that is supposed to be good (beats me how it's called, though). :)

RapunzelKat
January 23rd, 2015, 06:53 AM
Welcome, BabyB! :flower:

I also have flat hair. I had the same experience as you when I cut it short - no additional volume. My hair is thin, fine, and straight, so root volume is just not a thing I have. I've learned to embrace it and enjoy the look of sleek updos. :) As far as I know, the only way to actually thicken individual hair strands is henna, which gives the hair a red-orange color and is really permanent.

A couple ideas to make your hair look bigger:
Make a pouf in the front. Those little octopus clips are great for securing poufs in slippery hair. Having the extra volume above your face gives the overall impression of "larger" hair. :)
As others have mentioned, braidwaves. (I would guess you could do twin French braids at your length, which would give quite a bit of volume if done on damp hair.)
Heat-free curls are are also great for adding volume. (Or you can use a curling iron, if you don't mind using hot tools. :))

You have very pretty, shiny hair! :D

Anje
January 23rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
Echoing that an inch in diameter isn't actually thin. You've got perfectly normal thickness hair, but it's that silky sleek straight stuff that lies really close together rather than fluffing out a bit because each strand has its own bit of wiggle that separates it out. It's good for that awesome "sheet of silk" effect when long, but I can totally get how it looks like a little helmet when it's short.

Does your hair hold any wave or curl, ever? I know some folks with your hairtype are pretty much stuck with hair that goes back to flat within an hour or so of anything.

Shampoo probably helps fluff it a little, compared to CO. Most of the volume conditioners you're likely to find are so called mainly because they're not heavy and will supposedly weigh hair down less. Whether that's actually true... who knows. Probably varies with the product.

Scrunching a little gel through when your hair is damp might give you a little more texture and volume. But my other suggestion is at least to give shampoo bars a try. Most of them are based on cold-process soap, and while it varies a LOT whether people's hair and local water get along with them, people like my husband have really enjoyed the additional volume they give. (If you do try them and your hair feels awful after rinsing, follow with a rinse of diluted vinegar. That may defeat the volume entirely or not, but it's necessary for a lot of folks.)

summergreen
January 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM
Your hair is lovely, so shiny! You could try setting it on really big sponge rollers, maybe sleeping in them if you can bear to...I have some Goody dentless waves rollers which are so big they actually straightened my hair and just gave it body and curves, so they might work for you if you only want more volume :)

longNred
January 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
I don't have a thickness issue per se, but after a cassia treatment it's noticeably thicker.

I also agree your hair is lovely!

Panth
January 23rd, 2015, 11:58 AM
I do like to point out though that if your ponytail is 1" in diameter your circumference is just over 3" which puts you in the normal thickness range.

This!

I was also going to say that IMO your hair doesn't look that thin. It just isn't HUGE AND BACKCOMBED a la the current fashion - it's sleek and smooth and shiny, but that's just different and not intrinsically less attractive.

To increase thickness, nope there isn't anything you can do unless you've had hair loss. You could always have your doctor check your vitamin, mineral and hormone levels (especially vitamin D and B12, iron, thyroid hormone, sex hormones), though if you aren't seeing shedding or other symptoms then it's unlikely that you have a problem in that regard.

To increase the appearance of thickness, I'd try some no-heat wave/curl methods, e.g. braidwaves.

But, tbh, if it was me I'd just enjoy it as it is, as it looks great.

meteor
January 23rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
Your hair looks very shiny, healthy and lovely! :D I don't see any thickness issues but if you really prefer a "bigger" look, skip the CO-washing. CO-washing tends to result in flat, smoothed hair over the long run if you don't switch it up.
Clarifying shampoos, on the contrary, tend to give volume. Also, look for volumizing/thickening/texturizing in marketing claims on your products.
Apply products with a light hand and put hair in high buns or dutch braids overnight to create root volume in the morning. Dry shampoos can also create some volume at the roots on non-wash days.

Also, as far as conditioning is concerned try volume-inducing hydrolyzed proteins (gelatin, silk, keratin, etc), some coating herbs, like cassia and film-forming humectants. And maybe avoid too many oils and silicones, as they can smooth hair down a lot.
More on film-forming humectants: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/07/film-forming-humectants-what-they-are.html

gwenalyn
January 23rd, 2015, 04:48 PM
I like to put my hair in a loose ponytail at the top of my head when I sleep, esp. after a shower. It seems to give a little more root volume in the morning. Sometimes it slips out at night, doesn't seem to matter.

yahirwaO.o
January 23rd, 2015, 07:58 PM
Well we are in the same boat flat and not super voluminous......

What Im doing to cheat thickeness is to trim my hair constantly to gain body from mid to ends because I have realized that eiher if its not super short and crazy layered to hell or back comb, my hair simply is not going to be volumious in the roots.

Heatless curls or a high bun might help tho

So yeah another gal who says embrace the look, a lot people really pay and damages their so bad just to have what we naturally have... and people often might think we are slave to straightners when we only have to brush and go.

Breanna
January 23rd, 2015, 08:31 PM
Welcome! I don't see anything wrong with your hair tbh. And that bob really really suits you! Very cute.
Maybe you can try shampoo bars? They seem to help a little with volume. And also while you're drying your hair (either with a blow dryer or just air drying) you can flip your hair over upside down (if air drying you don't have to do it the WHOLE time, just a bunch of separate times, while running your fingers through it). I've also heard that washing it upside down can help or something. Really I think your hair type is just going to always be what it is but it really doesn't look bad at all, I think it's quite pretty!

Nadine <3
January 23rd, 2015, 11:39 PM
If I want volume, I sprits my hair with water (or better yet, sugar water. 1 cup of water, a teaspoon of sugar dissolved will make a homemade hairspray) I just spritz it on near my roots and gently comb it through my hair with my head upside down. Pony tail it gently, and then put it in a suck bun or roll the hair into a bunch of foam rollers. In the morning the volume is NUTS.

kdaniels8811
January 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I think your hair is lovely! As a fellow finey, I find dry shampoo massaged at my roots and temples especially helps give some lift. I do not comb it out, just leave it in. Welcome to LHC!

tee11
January 24th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I also have thin, fine hair. Here is what I do to help with volume:

- only use conditioner on my ends
- I dry my hair parted in the opposite way that I wear it. So, for example, I wear my hair parted on the right, so when it's drying I part it on the left. Once it's dry, I flip it over and make the part on my right side. I find this helps to give my roots some lift rather than being stuck flat on my head.
- get some layers. Without layers, my hair is flat as the prairies
- I usually wear my hair pinned in some sort of half-up, half-down style to give it more volume around the top of my head, like this:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2jama2b.jpg
- put my hair into a very loose messy bun with a soft scrunchie when it's about 90% dry. I find that this gives it volume without leaving kinks or 'ponytail waves' in my hair.

Good luck!

gwenalyn
January 25th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I think your hair is lovely! As a fellow finey, I find dry shampoo massaged at my roots and temples especially helps give some lift. I do not comb it out, just leave it in. Welcome to LHC!

THIS! I forgot to mention it!

stachelbeere
January 25th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I hear you! I know the battle for volume. All the tips from above are great (I will do the ponytail - rollers combo, Nadine! great idea)
I'd like to suggest a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYUdv2bJuc). She has fine hair and in most of her videos she shows ways to get volume. not all are LHC friendly though.

petcrazy18
January 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM
As a fellow finey the best advice I can give you is to work with what you naturally got going for you :). Because your hair is seriously jealousy inspiring ;).

DweamGoiL
January 25th, 2015, 08:57 PM
The most helpful thing for me is to never condition above the ears with a light no cone conditioner, use volumizing conditioners, and air dry hair with a little pouf in the front. If I need to sleep with it damp, then I just pineapple it and in the morning, it's dry and with volume. When I do blow dry, I dry the roots upside down. I always use a non-alcoholic hair spray at the roots to give me extra lift. Hope this helps!

spidermom
January 25th, 2015, 09:13 PM
I have the opposite problem - bushy hair - so yours is quite pretty to my eye.

Sometimes when it's very hot and dry, my hair gets pretty limp. I change the way I wash and condition it when that happens. I apply conditioner to the bottom third of my length first, massage in, then rinse out. Then I wash the scalp area and rinse. That's it. I'm very careful not to mess my hair all around while I wash it since I don't want to tangle it up. It's harder to comb out without conditioner on it. I do still feel that I get some benefit from conditioning first, but it doesn't leave my hair as limp as when I condition after washing.

I've heard that using a bit of mousse at the roots, then blow-drying with hair falling toward the floor will give more volume.

divinedobbie
January 25th, 2015, 09:13 PM
The most helpful thing for me is to never condition above the ears with a light no cone conditioner, use volumizing conditioners, and air dry hair with a little pouf in the front. If I need to sleep with it damp, then I just pineapple it and in the morning, it's dry and with volume. When I do blow dry, I dry the roots upside down. I always use a non-alcoholic hair spray at the roots to give me extra lift. Hope this helps!

What non alcoholic hair spray do you use? I haven't been able to find one.