PDA

View Full Version : Oopsie! DD's(18 ) hair dye experiment went wrong!

browneyedsusan
January 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM
DD had a gorgeous head of blonde hair, longer than WL, but not long enough to sit on. She got it highlighted 4 or 5 times a year, and was happy with it until recently. A few days ago, she had her natural color--medium blonde--pulled through. It looked darker than before, but still very pretty. She wasn't happy with the blotchiness of the color, so went back for a touch-up.

She came home with 2 feet of very dark hair and a foot of white ends. She hated it, but didn't feel Hairdresser had the skill to fix it. I had her wash with dish soap and hot water to strip as much color as possible, then we conditioned and hit it with Sun-In, and the blowdryer. It lightened a teensy bit, so we repeated twice more. It's a little better now, but I'm a bit nervous that she's stuck with it now. (I'm hoping it doesn't break off from our stripping attempts.)

DD heavily oiled her hair and went to bed. She plans to wash and condition in the morning. Any advice to lift that dark color from her bleached hair?

Quasiquixotic
January 22nd, 2015, 07:51 PM
color oops?

hugs, i'm sorry!

Robot Ninja
January 22nd, 2015, 07:53 PM
Color oops might work? It didn't work for me but it didn't seem to do any damage either, and I was trying to get rid of multiple years-old dye jobs, not just one recent one.

pastina
January 22nd, 2015, 08:13 PM
oh boy, throw out the sun in.

i agree with the pp's... your best bet is color oops (or colourb4 or whatever is available in your area.) it's intended for permanent dye. in the meantime, i'd have her condition with lots of protein. hugs to you <3

Rowdy
January 22nd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Chamomile tea rinses helped lift brown dye out of my hair. It took a couple months of weekly rinses

GreenFairy
January 22nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
oh my. wow. many mistakes. At this point it would be best to go to a good hairdresser. Pay the $150+ to have it fixed by a professional. Bring the professional a photo of what you two want the end result to be.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
If it has been stripped (lifted), I doubt Color Oops will do the trick. She might end up with more patchiness than she bargained for.

MINAKO
January 23rd, 2015, 07:21 AM
seriously. the more we do in these situations the worse it gets. if the super light ends bother her i would cut them off and wait for the rest to fade and catch up in length again. no more chemicals. any hair would most likely break at this point, no professional in the world can make a huge difference to that.

Agnieszka
January 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
It will lighten up with time. I used to bleach and darken my hair pre-LHC time(at the salon) and it always ends up much lighter with time. Just wait couple of weeks, month. Good luck, I really feel for her :-(

JellyBene
January 23rd, 2015, 12:47 PM
Color Oops really works, it smells like sulfur, but it works!

browneyedsusan
January 23rd, 2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks, all. In the stress of the moment, I completely forgot about Color-Oops!

(FWIW: Sun-In works great to keep my henna light. I use it a couple of times a year.)

Have Color-oops, and will strand test. Fingers crossed!

turtlelover
January 24th, 2015, 06:53 PM
A handful of crushed vitamin C tablets mixed with conditioner will take out quite a bit of haircolor, especially if you heat it under a hairdryer. I have done this several times and it works quite well and did no damage.

meredithlegare
January 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I would recommend going to a hairdresser that offers Olaplex as a treatment or add-on, because it will help keep the hair from completely breaking off. Other than that, definitely go to a professional and tell them exactly what was done to her hair and what y'all did to try to fix it. They're trained with lots of different techniques, so if they're good, they should be able to fix it. Check yelp reviews and remember that expensive doesn't always equal quality.

browneyedsusan
January 25th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Thank you all SO MUCH! :grouphug:

Color Oops did the trick. We used 2 boxes for her length, and it lifted to a very light strawberry blonde. She's much happier with it. (It was fading green/gray/lavenderish before. It was a pretty color, but didn't suit DD. She's quite conservative, and felt "crazy" with it.)
I'll snoop around on the forum for a protein treatment, and have her sleep with that in.

THANK you. You all are hair life-savers! :flower:

Wildcat Diva
January 25th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Gelatin dissolved in a small amount of hot water, plus honey, coconut oil, yogurt, and conditioner under a shower cap,