PDA

View Full Version : issues with uneven growth

cdonald2
January 22nd, 2015, 01:14 PM
It seems that the front of my hair doesnt grow as quickly as the back does. It drives me completely nuts. I have to trim it when there becomes too big of a difference because it looks like a mullet :/ I know I have to keep doing this until I am around collar bone.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so how did you get through it?

truepeacenik
January 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
Not quite that, although I suppose the bangs are a bit slower. Since I can get them in a bun, I no longer care.

What I get is a section in the back I nicknamed the racer. About an inch wide and over two years can have almost an inch difference in length.

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
My hair grows fairly evenly in terms of no-mullet, but as far as I know, there's really nothing to do besides keep trimming the back of your hair for the next few months to keep the mullet at bay.

butterflybutton
January 22nd, 2015, 02:00 PM
It seems that the front of my hair doesnt grow as quickly as the back does. It drives me completely nuts. I have to trim it when there becomes too big of a difference because it looks like a mullet :/ I know I have to keep doing this until I am around collar bone.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so how did you get through it?

I have that problem too! After a year of growth the back has grown an inch or so more then the front.

I'm growing out a pixie too, so the mullet was pretty bad. But I just grew without cutting, and now it has mostly evened out. But if I had been cutting off the mullet I'd only be at shoulder instead of APL after 14 months.

wilderwein
January 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
In my case half of my hair grows more quickly than the other half. It's not something super noticeable but I can see it after some months. I stoped worrying about that tho and I don't trim it either

lapushka
January 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Stop trimming. You'll always have some sort of uneven growth throughout your entire hair journey, but to make it a "journey", you have got to stop messing with your hair.

Belle Paix
January 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
Mine does this too. I actively HATE the mullet stage, but now that my hair is just long enough (BARELY) to french braid, it makes the mullet worth it :). I wouldn't be able to braid it all if I had chopped the back portion! Plus, as it gets longer, there's potential for epic fairytale ends :)

Anje
January 22nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
Mine just likes to thin out a bit as the racers get ahead of the bulk.

But I agree -- stop cutting! Get it over with! If you're sick of the bob, the less you do with it, the sooner it will be over. Your hair has been above your shoulders for like a year now, hasn't it? Trimming it back seems like it's becoming seriously counterproductive.

cdonald2
January 22nd, 2015, 02:59 PM
Mine just likes to thin out a bit as the racers get ahead of the bulk.

But I agree -- stop cutting! Get it over with! If you're sick of the bob, the less you do with it, the sooner it will be over. Your hair has been above your shoulders for like a year now, hasn't it? Trimming it back seems like it's becoming seriously counterproductive.

I know it has been :/ i dont regret this cut for a minute, and i have made some small progress, but yeah, its gone from cheek to shoulder in a year with my trims. I am so worried it looks ridiculous when i let it go.... even keeping it up is a hassle because the front falls out constantly :/

lapushka
January 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
I know it has been :/ i dont regret this cut for a minute, and i have made some small progress, but yeah, its gone from cheek to shoulder in a year with my trims. I am so worried it looks ridiculous when i let it go.... even keeping it up is a hassle because the front falls out constantly :/

Just try and wear some updos (a peacock twist or French twist should do) and think as little about this as possible. You have *got* to move past this to make some progress.

Belle Paix
January 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Just try and wear some updos (a peacock twist or French twist should do) and think as little about this as possible. You have *got* to move past this to make some progress.

Ooooo....This!!!

Seeshami
January 22nd, 2015, 03:26 PM
I am probably the only person that hasn't cared or looked at their growth rate in years. I am sure mess does this as he is the devil of all hair monsters but I just don't worry about what ever horrible shenanigans his highness is updo unless it's trying to eat Keiky or kill me.

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Stop trimming. You'll always have some sort of uneven growth throughout your entire hair journey, but to make it a "journey", you have got to stop messing with your hair.

^^This :agree: Awkward phases are a bummer, but the fastest way out of the woods is to just let it grow. Put it up, and join a no-trimming challenge for three or for months at least. I expect you'll be very happy to see how much length you gain! :)

cdonald2
January 22nd, 2015, 03:43 PM
^^This :agree: Awkward phases are a bummer, but the fastest way out of the woods is to just let it grow. Put it up, and join a no-trimming challenge for three or for months at least. I expect you'll be very happy to see how much length you gain! :)

I think I will do just that :) thankyou for the support everyone. I would LOVE to be bsl by the end of the year.... I just dont want to look like Joe dirt :X

MJ1972
January 22nd, 2015, 04:29 PM
I agree with the other posters that the awkward stage is just something you have to get through, cdonald2. It sucks, but there you are. :-)

Regarding the uneven growth, I've got a bit of that going on, as well. I thought for months that I was going to hit armpit length by Christmas 2014 because when I looked over my right shoulder, my hair was very close to armpit length. On Christmas Day, it was beyond armpit length on my right side, but to my chagrin, I found a had a ways to go on my left side. I then realised my hair was about an inch longer on the right than on the left. It's possible that this is partly due to a dodgy cut (my hairdresser was suspiciously quick the last time I had a haircut, about half a year ago now), but I strongly suspect uneven growth is a contributor, as well. I'm going to get a small, hopefully completely even trim next week, and I'll keep an eye on the situation afterwards...

georgia_peach
January 22nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
I am probably the only person that hasn't cared or looked at their growth rate in years. I am sure mess does this as he is the devil of all hair monsters but I just don't worry about what ever horrible shenanigans his highness is updo unless it's trying to eat Keiky or kill me. I hope you don't mind if I start telling my hair bed-time stories about Naughty Mess. I want her to have something to aspire to when she grows up.

Seeshami
January 22nd, 2015, 04:41 PM
Hahaha why would you want a hair monster for?

RapunzelKat
January 22nd, 2015, 05:16 PM
I think I will do just that :) thankyou for the support everyone. I would LOVE to be bsl by the end of the year.... I just dont want to look like Joe dirt :X

Oh, I'm sure you won't look like Joe Dirt! :D And hey, if you really let it grow, who knows? BSL could happen.

Another couple tips I thought of for powering through the awkward phase:
Half-ups. I lived in half-ups when I was in that stage. They make the length difference from front to back look deliberate. :lol: If your hair is too short in the front for a half-up ponytail, get some hair friendly barrettes and roll and clip two side sections from the front back from your face.
Do a little twisted pouf right in the front. (Teeny-tiny octopus clips work great for that, and I find them much more hair friendly than bobby pins.)
Headbands could work too. They don't look too great on me so I never really did that, but they might suit you.
Happy growing!